PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Expanded Lizardfolk

Bannan_mantis
2019-03-16, 03:00 AM
I am a large fan of Lizardfolk in dnd and I love a lot of the lore around them, but I also feel like there was some missed potential in their variety. The base Lizardfolk we have right now is perfectly fine but I feel like adding more to it would make it more interesting to use in games so after some brainstorming I give you the expanded Lizardfolk race with 4 subraces. I'm not super trusting of my judgement in power levels so I hope I am able to get some people's opinions on these subraces to see where they need increases and decreases in power or also where changing some abilities would make the game more enjoyable. Anyway, here it is

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk8I379vE

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-16, 09:35 AM
I like it, especially the Primal Savagery

.... But magical Jaws? Like. What?

Bannan_mantis
2019-03-16, 07:37 PM
I like it, especially the Primal Savagery

.... But magical Jaws? Like. What?

The magical jaws are meant to be something which feels magical but also fits the theme of a savage. Or is it hard to understand with the wording?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-16, 09:02 PM
The magical jaws are meant to be something which feels magical but also fits the theme of a savage. Or is it hard to understand with the wording?
It's mechanically clear enough, it's just... conceptually weird, I think. Maybe 1/rest replace a melee spell attack with a bite attack, adding your bite damage to the spell's effect?

The biggest overall change I'd suggest is moving the Hold Breath and Swim Speed out of the main race and into a swampy/aquatic subrace-- that way you don't have to have (presumably) mountain/desert-dwelling lizards who also happen to be great swimmers.

Bannan_mantis
2019-03-16, 09:14 PM
It's mechanically clear enough, it's just... conceptually weird, I think. Maybe 1/rest replace a melee spell attack with a bite attack, adding your bite damage to the spell's effect?

The biggest overall change I'd suggest is moving the Hold Breath and Swim Speed out of the main race and into a swampy/aquatic subrace-- that way you don't have to have (presumably) mountain/desert-dwelling lizards who also happen to be great swimmers.

Hmmm good point, also I enjoy the concept of it. A lizardfolk who's imbued with magic having teeth and spit that has a similar effect to a wand feels very savage and weird which fits IMO.

Also the hold breath and swim speed are good suggestions, maybe changing them out to say a natural defence? I feel like almost all Lizardfolk would have that. Or maybe something where they are able to consume most toxic substances and not suffer negative effects, reptiles have some very powerful immune systems so I think that'd fit and the power of something like that could make up for the loss in power of Hold breath and swim speed.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-16, 10:11 PM
Hmmm good point, also I enjoy the concept of it. A lizardfolk who's imbued with magic having teeth and spit that has a similar effect to a wand feels very savage and weird which fits IMO.

Also the hold breath and swim speed are good suggestions, maybe changing them out to say a natural defence? I feel like almost all Lizardfolk would have that. Or maybe something where they are able to consume most toxic substances and not suffer negative effects, reptiles have some very powerful immune systems so I think that'd fit and the power of something like that could make up for the loss in power of Hold breath and swim speed.
I mean, they do have a natural defense-- they get +2 Con and natural armor. That's pretty good natural defense right there.

As for feeling savage...I've played a Lizardfolk, and one of the annoying things about them is their two trademark abilities pull you in opposite directions-- if you want to use their bite you need Strength, but if you want to get the best use out of their natural armor you need Dex. If you're looking for things to address with subraces, that's a pretty important one, I think. In Grod's Guide I did it with feats (one shifting your natural AC to be 13+Con, the other making your bite Finesse), but there are lots of ways to attack it.

Bannan_mantis
2019-03-16, 10:33 PM
I mean, they do have a natural defense-- they get +2 Con and natural armor. That's pretty good natural defense right there.

As for feeling savage...I've played a Lizardfolk, and one of the annoying things about them is their two trademark abilities pull you in opposite directions-- if you want to use their bite you need Strength, but if you want to get the best use out of their natural armor you need Dex. If you're looking for things to address with subraces, that's a pretty important one, I think. In Grod's Guide I did it with feats (one shifting your natural AC to be 13+Con, the other making your bite Finesse), but there are lots of ways to attack it.

Yeah I understand what you mean, the abilities of the lizardfolk made it versatile but weird in how it didn't really know what it wanted to be. That's one reason why I think the immunity to toxic substances works, it doesn't really make a strength Lizardfolk or dexterity Lizardfolk more viable. One thing I was considering with the dexterity subraces (smooth and leaf) was to give them a finesse unarmed strike.

twistedraja
2019-03-19, 05:39 PM
Always like to see more options for lizardfolk, thanks for this!