PDA

View Full Version : What level spell would this be? (5e)

Crgaston
2019-03-18, 10:29 PM
Silence, 1' Radius
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Components: V,S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 1-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. If the point is on an object, the effect moves with that object.

I'm torn between a cantrip and a 1st level spell. Powerwise, magically, it seems more in line with a cantrip, but practically, for games with firearms, it's a silencer.

John Out West
2019-03-18, 11:27 PM
Seems like a solid cantrip. If the sphere moved with the object or was larger, i would say level 1. Since it stays where it is, and is only 1ft, its definitely not worth it a level 1 spell slot. It can potentially be used to counter magic-users who use spells with verbal components, but the sphere is so small they could literally lean or crouch out of it.

My votes on Cantrip. I hope this helps.

Crgaston
2019-03-19, 04:00 AM
Seems like a solid cantrip. If the sphere moved with the object or was larger, i would say level 1. Since it stays where it is, and is only 1ft, its definitely not worth it a level 1 spell slot. It can potentially be used to counter magic-users who use spells with verbal components, but the sphere is so small they could literally lean or crouch out of it.

My votes on Cantrip. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! It actually does does move with the object, so it's an effective portable silencer. Is my wording not clear?

I should probably also specify that it only moves with the object if the object is either not being being worn or carried, or being worn or carried by a willing creature.

MoiMagnus
2019-03-19, 09:31 AM
Silence, 1' Radius
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Components: V,S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 1-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. If the point is on an object, the effect moves with that object.

I'm torn between a cantrip and a 1st level spell. Powerwise, magically, it seems more in line with a cantrip, but practically, for games with firearms, it's a silencer.

So if I put the cantrip on my bullet/arrow (or on of my friend's), fire at a spell-caster and hit, the spell-caster is essentially under silence until it get rid of the bullet/arrow (because its mouth will most likely be in a 1 foot radius of the hit).

Is that kind of use is allowed, I vote for 1st level (and would increase the radius to 2 feet to reduce the number of moments where we need to ask "is it in range?"). If that kind of use isn't, I vote for cantrip.
Being a firearm silencer is not worth a concentration spell AND a spell slot per minute (because infiltration are unlikely to last only 1 minute, not to say you put a V component so you don't want to have to cast it again at the middle of an infiltration)

Galithar
2019-03-19, 10:20 PM
If it's intent is to be a silencer I would make it a cantrip, but make it explicitly effect only what you want it to. It shouldn't be able to step on the toes if the Silence spell.

"Touch one weapon while casting this spell. For the duration if this weapon is held by a willing creature it creates no sound"

That way it's impossible to try to use it to prevent a spell from being cast.

sandmote
2019-03-20, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the reply! It actually does does move with the object, so it's an effective portable silencer. Is my wording not clear?

I should probably also specify that it only moves with the object if the object is either not being being worn or carried, or being worn or carried by a willing creature.

Okay, here's my attempt to clear up the wording:

You touch a weapon. Until the spell ends, no sound can be created by that weapon. This does not impede the weapon's wielder or any target from speaking or casting spells with vocal components, but prevents any sound from being produced by ranged or melee attacks with that weapon.

I'm going to say the idea you are going for would definitely be a cantrip rather than a 1st level spell. I'm not sure your (or my) wording is clear enough.

Crgaston
2019-03-20, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the insight... I had not considered using it to interfere with spellcasters! I really just wanted to make a magical silencer.

Maybe this does what I want a little better....

Charcoal of Silence
Uncommon

This innocuous-looking piece of charcoal allows a creature to use an Action to draw a rune that creates a small bubble (1'r) of Silence as per the spell. When used on a weapon, the Silence lasts for 1d4+6 attacks before it wears off. If used on a projectile and the projectile hits a creature, the rune is marred and becomes ineffective.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-20, 10:50 AM
The concern here is showing what happens if someone attempted to cast/write it upon their boots. Now it's effectively a permanent Pass Without Trace.

Or a Silenced Item could be sold as a "magic" item that the user won't realize is temporary.

You could just make it specifically for weapons, like the Ruby of the War Mage (in Xanathar's).

Or you could make the "Charcoal" part of an amulet that you have to attune to, and the runes it draws are only effective within a certain distance of the amulet (so you can't give silenced stuff away).