PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spirit of the Toad: Another Path for the Totem Barbarian [PEACH]

WhismurWanders
2019-03-19, 03:08 PM
We've got Wolves, Tigers, and Bears oh my! in the Path of the Totem Warrior, but I thought I'd add another option; namely for Toads!

Level 3: While raging, your reach increases by 5 feet on your turn.
I'm not completely sure whether this should be 10 feet or 5 feet. This does shore up one of the main weaknesses of Barbarians, namely a lack of consistent ranged options, but this makes the Toad exceptionally good at engaging enemies before they can reach you. 5' seems like too little to give compared to other totem options at the same level, but 10' gives for a LOT of effective reach when Fast Movement is obtained as well.
Level 6: If you spend a minute not moving, you may apply double your proficiency bonus to stealth checks you make. This effect ends after moving, dealing/recieving damage, or casting a spell.
Level 6 is, in my opinion, the biggest challenge for Totem Barbarians. It's the ribbon feature, and making one that is appealing without making it too niche is difficult. Here, I decided that Toad barbarians could be dedicated to ambushing or hiding. Spending a full minute not moving is a big investment (almost impossible during combat), but is perfect for attempting to stay in one position before striking.
Level 14: While raging, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grab a Large or smaller enemy combatant within your reach and pull them towards you. Make a contested Strength check. If you win, the target is pulled 10 feet closer to you, and counts as restrained until the beginning of your next turn.
It wouldn't be a toad if there wasn't a grapple/tongue-attack option. :smallwink:

I would love to hear any and all thoughts on this, it's my first attempt at making something for 5e.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-20, 04:35 AM
We've got Wolves, Tigers, and Bears oh my! in the Path of the Totem Warrior, but I thought I'd add another option; namely for Toads!

Level 3: While raging, your reach increases by 5 feet on your turn.
I'm not completely sure whether this should be 10 feet or 5 feet. This does shore up one of the main weaknesses of Barbarians, namely a lack of consistent ranged options, but this makes the Toad exceptionally good at engaging enemies before they can reach you. 5' seems like too little to give compared to other totem options at the same level, but 10' gives for a LOT of effective reach when Fast Movement is obtained as well.
Level 6: If you spend a minute not moving, you may apply double your proficiency bonus to stealth checks you make. This effect ends after moving, dealing/recieving damage, or casting a spell.
Level 6 is, in my opinion, the biggest challenge for Totem Barbarians. It's the ribbon feature, and making one that is appealing without making it too niche is difficult. Here, I decided that Toad barbarians could be dedicated to ambushing or hiding. Spending a full minute not moving is a big investment (almost impossible during combat), but is perfect for attempting to stay in one position before striking.
Level 14: While raging, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grab a Large or smaller enemy combatant within your reach and pull them towards you. Make a contested Strength check. If you win, the target is pulled 10 feet closer to you, and counts as restrained until the beginning of your next turn.
It wouldn't be a toad if there wasn't a grapple/tongue-attack option. :smallwink:

I would love to hear any and all thoughts on this, it's my first attempt at making something for 5e.

Level 3: Reach is a pretty underwhelming feature for a level 3 rage feature. For the most part reach is not going to be all that needed as the Barbarian is fast. This is replicated by a reach weapon so I'm not sure why I would ever take this subclass feature at level 3. Totem warriors can pick and choose which totem they want at each path level and I don't see myself grabbing this over Wolf or Eagle.

Level 6: This doesn't work as written? Maybe? One of the keys of stealth is being able to move while being stealthy as just standing still doesn't come up a lot it seems. If you can't move... And it takes 10 rounds... Yeah, no, this isn't a good thing. Also, with the way I think it's intended... It's not worth the feature slot. You should just give Barbarians expertise or advantage in stealth and call it a day, there's no reason to tie it to a minute of doing nothing.

Level 14: This feature is vastly better than the others... But this feels like a level 3 feature. Also it should be an Athletics versus Athletics or Acrobatics check (like shoving). This is essentially a cantrip, Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip, and definitely not worth a level 14 feature. There's no damage directly so a bonus action pull isn't broken during a rage at low levels.

===
How I would do the path of the toad...

Path of the Toad

Level 3: Toad's Tongue: While raging your form takes that of a toad. As a bonus action you gain the ability to shoot your tongue out and draw a creature closer to you. Choose a large or smaller creature within 30', make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you succeed then you pull the creature 10' closer to you.

Level 6: Sneaky Toad: You gain training in stealth and always count as if you have a running start when you jump even when jumping from a stand still.

Level 10: Commune with Nature: At 10th level, you can cast the commune with nature spell, but only as a ritual. When you do so, a spiritual version of one of the animals you chose for Totem Spirit or Aspect of the Beast appears to you to convey the information you seek.

Level 14: Power Jump: While raging, you can use a bonus action when you jump to land onto the space of a Large of smaller creature. That creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Strength bonus + your proficiency bonus) or be knocked prone and take bludgeoning damage equal to 1d12 + your Strength modifier.

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/images/docs/large/kung-fu-hustle-le-plus-grand-des-tueurs11_d4ab0c646ad21dcf6e158e4bd402521d.jpg