PDA

View Full Version : Lloth or Lolth?

username1
2019-03-22, 01:12 PM
My friend and I are in another argument, is it lloth or lolth. I think it could be either.

Yora
2019-03-22, 01:14 PM
Lolth. There are a few cases where it is spelled Lloth, but she is called Lolth in the adventure she first appeared in and in the Fiend Folio. It's also her official name in Forgotten Realms sourcebooks.

Willie the Duck
2019-03-22, 01:15 PM
According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolth), it is "Lolth (Lloth in the drow language)."

Whyrocknodie
2019-03-22, 01:52 PM
Whichever position your friend is taking, you should take the opposite one and remain absolutely adamant in your argument. It's absolutely critical that not only is the demon given the correct name, but that your friend is objectively wrong at all times. Where would we be if nobody cared about this sort of thing, I ask you? Nowhere good, that's for certain. The abyss maybe.

Guizonde
2019-03-22, 02:06 PM
Whichever position your friend is taking, you should take the opposite one and remain absolutely adamant in your argument. It's absolutely critical that not only is the demon given the correct name, but that your friend is objectively wrong at all times. Where would we be if nobody cared about this sort of thing, I ask you? Nowhere good, that's for certain. The abyss maybe.

fixed that for you.

Willie the Duck
2019-03-22, 02:27 PM
fixed that for you.

?Did you change anything in the quote? I can't find a 'fix.'

Kaptin Keen
2019-03-22, 02:33 PM
It's spelled Lolth, but pronounced Lloth. There, all cleared up =)

Segev
2019-03-22, 04:31 PM

I see we found a true worshipper of the Spider-Queen!

meschlum
2019-03-22, 07:55 PM
Of course, if you go by some of the works of Laurel K Hamilton (e.g. Nightseer), the proper answer is Loth, for oaths made by the birds of Loth and the hounds of Verm.

Guizonde
2019-03-23, 04:26 AM
?Did you change anything in the quote? I can't find a 'fix.'

i just changed the color of your quote to "evil purple", because obviously that's the single most evil thing one could suggest aside from physical and moral violence on your friend.

Millstone85
2019-03-23, 05:28 AM
It is Lolth.

Otherwise, how would you make that joke?

http://i.imgur.com/LQH0Dwx.png

RedMage125
2019-03-27, 08:57 AM
According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolth), it is "Lolth (Lloth in the drow language)."

This, basically.

Of course, if you have a Midwest accent (like our dear, departed Gary Gygax, who was from Wisconsin), then they're pronounced the same anyway.

Seriously, one of my best friends is from Virginia, and whenever my wife and I say the word "both", he hears it as "BOLTH".

Yora
2019-03-27, 04:22 PM
Apparently it started as a misspelling in Drizzt novels and he just kept using it. And since then some other Forgotten Realms novel writers have also started doing it.
But to my knowledge, in the game it has always been only Lolth.

Kaptin Keen
2019-03-27, 04:44 PM
Apparently it started as a better name in Drizzt novels and he just kept using it. And since then some other Forgotten Realms novel writers have also started doing it.
But to my knowledge, in the game it has always been only Lolth.

Fixed that. And frankly, Drizzit is a drow and none of the rest of us are - so who's the authority here, eh? =)

halfeye
2019-03-27, 04:45 PM
This, basically.

Of course, if you have a Midwest accent (like our dear, departed Gary Gygax, who was from Wisconsin), then they're pronounced the same anyway.

Seriously, one of my best friends is from Virginia, and whenever my wife and I say the word "both", he hears it as "BOLTH".

The Bristol "L" is weirder, "windles" for "windows" never gets old. Mind you, the celtic LL pronounced "Cl" gets pretty close.

Beleriphon
2019-03-30, 11:07 AM
I always figured Lloth, with the double L pronounced the same as in Llyod.

The Fury
2019-03-30, 07:10 PM
Naw, if it were "Lloth" it would be pronounced "Yoth."

Cliff Sedge
2019-03-31, 12:12 AM
(From The AD&D 2nd ed. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: Running the Realms, page 33, under Drizzt):

"His fame and hatred of his former homeland has made him a target of other drow who hope to earn favor with their evil goddess Lloth (also know as Lolth) by killing the renegade." (Greenwood and Grubb, 1993)

Psyren
2019-04-01, 03:50 PM
Naw, if it were "Lloth" it would be pronounced "Yoth."

Given that D&D names take far more inspiration from Welsh than Spanish, I'd expect that it's pronounced closer to "Shchoth". (Look up how to pronounce "Llewellyn" or that one super-long Welsh town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM) and you'll get the idea.)

halfeye
2019-04-01, 04:17 PM
Given that D&D names take far more inspiration from Welsh than Spanish, I'd expect that it's pronounced closer to "Shchoth". (Look up how to pronounce "Llewellyn" or that one super-long Welsh town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM) and you'll get the idea.)

Celtic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts) rather than Deltic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic)

Kaptin Keen
2019-04-02, 02:45 AM
I'm pleased to see this important topic is still being discussed. Despite my conviction that the questions has been answered (that Lloth is the proper spelling), I'd like to venture the opinion that the two spellings could also be combined to Llolth. Perfect solution?

Segev
2019-04-02, 10:19 AM
Clearly, Lloth is Lolth's lesser-known little brother who likes to dress up in his sister's clothing and impersonate her to her priestesses, not bothering to change his name. Lolth allows this because she already enjoys giving contradictory orders, so her brother thinks he's messing with her but is really just furthering her confusing agenda of trollishness.

...troll-driders need to be a thing. Triders? Trollders?

Malphegor
2019-04-03, 10:14 AM
If anyone spells it Llolth, as a Welshman I feel obliged to play a drow who calls her Llolth pronounced with the welsh 'll' letter.

(actually, that's not far off the sound fictional spiders make. Thinking of the hissing sound the spiders in Minecraft make... Screw it, all drow are Welsh in any world I DM now.)

Kaptin Keen
2019-04-03, 11:06 AM
...troll-driders need to be a thing. Triders? Trollders?

Well .. convince enough trolls to worship Lloth, and I'm sure Triders will eventually follow. It could cause some confusion if large numbers of treants also convert to the faith, though. Or would they be treeders?? oO

Segev
2019-04-03, 11:31 AM
Well .. convince enough trolls to worship Lloth, and I'm sure Triders will eventually follow. It could cause some confusion if large numbers of treants also convert to the faith, though. Or would they be treeders?? oO

Spidents, of course. Or possibly spitrees, though spy-trees would give the wrong impression. Unless they had a tendency to stand around spying....

THough honestly, that makes me think more of a treant/roper hybrid, which is not really Lolth's purview. Though her yochlols often look roper-like. Also, "yochlol" suggests to me that "Lolth" is, in fact, the intended spelling.

2D8HP
2019-04-03, 11:40 AM
If anyone spells it Llolth, as a Welshman I feel obliged to play a drow who calls her Llolth pronounced with the welsh 'll' letter.

(actually, that's not far off the sound fictional spiders make. Thinking of the hissing sound the spiders in Minecraft make... Screw it, all drow are Welsh in any world I DM now.)

I don't dispute the Drow having Welsh blood, but (in it's infinite wisdom) the Forum proved that the Underdark is Australian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514104-My-players-have-rescued-a-bunch-of-drow-kids/page3).