PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Houserules Collection: are these a 3 or an 18? Skills

lucky9
2019-03-25, 02:10 PM
I will be posting one change, or group of changes, at a time to hopefully allow for a little more discussion/ tweaks/ general thoughts, if you would be so kind:smallsmile:

A note before starting: I am aware that this edition is.. unstable, especially at higher levels. My rules don't necessarily aim to completely eliminate that issue, too large a task. What I'm going for is general playability, a certain feel I have about things, and of course, fun for all players including those running muggles. With that said, do let me know if I've horribly broken anything. Also, feel free to ask for any clarification.

Some slight changes to the skill system. Any problems that you can discern here?
Once a class skill, always a class skill.

Any skills which receive a racial bonus also become class skills for that character, such as a dwarf's Craft (stone or metalwork).

A character may choose any two of their class skills to make cross-class in exchange for two cross-class skills that then become class skills.
For example, a Fighter may choose to drop Jump and Intimidate as class skills in order for Knowledge (local) and Tumble to become class skills.
Racial skills may not be swapped, nor skills that become class skills through taking certain feats.

Every time a character reaches a new age category, percentile dice must be rolled for 50% chance of receiving a permanent -2 to Listen checks, and again for Spot checks.

Skill synergies grant a +1 bonus to other skill checks for every five ranks in the skill that grants a synergy, not a one time +2 bonus.

rferries
2019-03-30, 05:18 PM
These are all superb changes, kudos.

[QUOTE]Every time a character reaches a new age category, percentile dice must be rolled for 50% chance of receiving a permanent -2 to Listen checks, and again for Spot checks.

Unlikely to become relevant to PCs, and annoying (and randomly unfair) when it does.

Skill synergies grant a +1 bonus to other skill checks for every five ranks in the skill that grants a synergy, not a one time +2 bonus.

I like it!