PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Lite (Simplifying 5e for new/young players)

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 11:16 AM
This is a very brief guide on how to simplify 5e down to some of the most basic rules that converts easily into-from the standard 5e rules. This way, you can teach them the basics and complicate things as you go:

Don't use attributes. Whenever Attribute bonuses are called for, instead use the team's Proficiency bonus. If they already used Proficiency for that event, you now apply it twice. An Attack, for instance, uses Proficiency x2, but damage uses Proficiency x1. This works, because someone with a 13 attribute at level 1 has a +3 total bonus, and can get up to +11. Using this system simplifies things heavily and scales from +4 to +12.
-
Weapons are in 3 categories: Light (1d6, can be dual wielded), Medium (1d8, can wield a shield with it) and Large (1d10, has Reach). Let the player determine what the specifics of the weapon are, but they must choose these stats. These all do "weapon damage", don't track B/P/S seperately
-
For spells, treat each class as having their entire spell list prepared at all times. Instead of casting spells with slots, use mana points. You can cast spells up to half of your level (rounded up), casting a spell costs you points equal to its level, and you have as many spell points as your level. You regain spell points on a Short Rest.

With these rules, you can basically keep everything else in the game the same, allowing players to focus on building their characters and playing them.

Crisis21
2019-04-02, 11:29 AM
This sounds pretty good for younger players! Full casting classes might still be off-putting just because of all the spells to keep track of, but it's a good start nonetheless.

It kind of reminds me of the game Heroes and Treasure (https://heroesandtreasure.com/) whose goal was to take the basic concepts of D&D and put them into a format even a 4-year old could understand. It was playtested in part by the creator's own 4-year old daughter. (You do need an adult - or adult-ish - person to GM)

Anything involving math can be accomplished by counting markers. There is no AC or Attack rolls, only damage rolls (it is possible for damage to be zero due to the special dice included), and you attack whatever enemy is closest unless your attack has 'ranged' in which case you can hit whoever you want. One damage on an attack is typical, two is good, three is rare and very good, four is really rare, and five is OMGWTF?! Damage doesn't get higher than five in a single attack ever. Initiative is a set order (Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Monsters). Shields can block damage once regardless of how much damage is done and the only conditions to worry about are stun which lasts one round no matter what and invisibility which goes away when the invisible creature attacks.

The full rulebook is considered detailed and exhaustive at 8 pages long and the 10-level adventure module included needs a mere 2 pages per level with a 2-page intro to tell you how to interpret the level instructions.

I can personally attest that even older players enjoy it given the reactions of the friends I roped into playing it.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-04-03, 08:25 AM
My son is only a week old, but I'm already looking forward to rolling some dice with him when he gets older. This sounds like a great way to introduce him to the game!

I also like the idea of a set initiative based on class.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 10:45 AM
My son is only a week old, but I'm already looking forward to rolling some dice with him when he gets older. This sounds like a great way to introduce him to the game!

I also like the idea of a set initiative based on class.

For something like Initiative, I'd use Group Initiative rules, where the Player team acts, then the Bad Guys act. It would feel like it creates less chaos and more teamwork, which helps the little ones understand what's going on a bit better as well as understand what each teammate is contributing.

No longer will they just be sitting there, waiting for permission to act. Now, they'll squabble about positioning each other BEFORE they cast Fireball and other interplayer arguments, like REAL players.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-05, 02:59 AM
I did 4 sessions with my stepson when he was 4 years old, and we're about to pick it up again next week. He's 6 now so I'm really looking forward to it.

There are no rules, just a narrative, player intent, a d20 and a d6.

He kinda decides his character while playing him. Sometimes he want to cast a spell, sometimes he wants a golden sword. He just decides what he wants to do, and I reply with the narrative. We just make stuff up and have fun :)

Next session will be a version of Red Riding Hood.
He'll start as the lumberjack in the forest, where puss in boots will tell him of the big bad wolf and how he ate Grandma and Red.
He goes to the cabin where the wolf escapes into the cellar.
There will be a short puzzle, and then the boss fight.

I'm so excited, I can't wait ^^

When playing with kids the number 1 rule is voice acting. Having all the characters have different voices does amazing things when combined with a kids imagination.

The Kool
2019-04-05, 10:11 AM
There are no rules, just a narrative, player intent, a d20 and a d6.

He kinda decides his character while playing him. Sometimes he want to cast a spell, sometimes he wants a golden sword. He just decides what he wants to do, and I reply with the narrative. We just make stuff up and have fun :)

I highly recommend you start here. Behind the scenes you can know things (like silently adding the proficiency bonus to his d20 roll). Slowly as they get more comfortable, add things in. Attributes aren't a terrible thing to add early, class mechanics on the other hand can be a bit complicated. I'd advise something like the following order of introduction:

Nothing but a d20 - This introduces the flow of the storytelling, the importance of roleplay, and the concept of rolling to determine things.
Proficiencies - Some things your character is known for or can do well. Be flexible, the kid might say "spells" or "my golden sword!" Accuracy comes once they're comfortable with the fun.
Attributes - The first numbers that represent their character! Adds a new layer of uniqueness to the character.
Basic class abilities (including spellcasting) - At this point you should be accurate with proficiencies, and add things like fighters gaining a second attack, barbarians raging, wizards casting spells (see below), etc. The more comfortable they get, the more you add. Start with the defining ones, worry about actual level progression later.
The book - Once they've gotten comfortable enough that their character actually resembles a normally-created PC, time to crack open the book. They're ready.

A note on spells: This is easily one of the most complicated parts of the game. I suggest starting with index cards. If they want to be a wizard, describe how they have a spellbook but it doesn't have many spells in it, and hand them a stack of cards. Don't worry about prepared spells when you first introduce it. If they have the card, they can cast the spell. You get to pick which ones they know, it's a great way to give fun treasure, and you can simplify the rules they see a lot (Fireball: creates a giant ball of fire that deals 8d6 damage to everyone it hits! They get a chance to dodge. Cost: one red token"). I suggest using something like poker chips to track spell slots, actually. They come in different colors and are easy to visualize spending them and easy to represent the actual underlying mechanics. Say for example, blue = 1st, green = 2nd, red = 3rd, white = 4th, and you can go more if they're higher level but I doubt they'll go that high if they don't even know the game yet. That way a card that costs a 3rd level slot really just costs a red token, as far as they know. Out of red tokens? No more fireballs.