PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e Need a new/better term for damage vulnerability

Theodoxus
2019-04-09, 10:58 PM
So, I'm in the process of mashing 4th and 5th editions together, and I'm finding instances where 4Es damage resistance and vulnerability make sense in limited fashion to 5Es blanket 50%/100% respectively. Calling "Damage Resistance 5" simply "Damage Reduction 5" is easy and elegant. It keeps Damage Resistance (1/2 damage) and Damage Reduction (X) separate and easy to remember.

I'm having difficulty with Vulnerability though. There doesn't seem to be an adequate word to replace vulnerability with. I was originally going with Damage Addition, but that more implies the attack's bonus, and less a weakness on the target's part. Then I thought Damage Accumulation, but that's pretty kludgy and has more of an "reducing hit point maximum" than "vulnerability" vibe.

So, anyone out there have an interesting solution? My google fu is weak, so I thought I'd turn to the playground.

sandmote
2019-04-10, 12:27 AM
To improve your google fu, skip straight to a thesaurus for this sort of thing.

In no particular order:
Damage Amplification
Damage Susceptibility
Damage Onus
Damage Accretion
Damage Inflation
Damage Infirmity
Exacerbating Damage

And damage Damage Weakness, which I think is the simplest option.

Composer99
2019-04-10, 06:35 AM
I'd echo the suggestion for Weakness.

Crisis21
2019-04-10, 08:09 AM
Extra Damage? Damage Susceptibility?

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-10, 05:18 PM
Let me know when your PHB is ready, I looooved 4e rules, but the content got kinda weird near the end.

If you need some help, I think my 4e sense of balance is actually better than my 5e sense of balance xD

I did a loooooot of homebrewing for 4e. I don't even remember which forum anymore :/

I still have somewhere the v2 of a full Avatar class system, and a classless system based on archetypes and power sources.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-10, 05:24 PM
Affliction is one I could see being used. Or Severity.

Kane0
2019-04-10, 06:04 PM
Damage Resistance (half)
Damage Reduction (-x)
Damage Vulnerability (double)
Damage Susceptibility (+x)

Solauren
2019-07-20, 08:52 AM
'Material Allergy' for stuff like 'extra damage from Silver'