PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blink as a Magic Item

Pagrek
2019-04-10, 02:20 PM
Hi, I'm new to homebrewing things as I've just finished an AL campaign and am starting a new non-AL one with the people I picked up along the way. Blink has been a spell that I've found to be immensely flavourful, but mechanically lacking. I've been thinking of making a magic item that could cast it without using a spell slot so I could see it in use at the table. Here's what I've got, I'd appreciate review:

Broach of Ethereal Defense
Wondrous Item, Rare, Requires Attunement

When you roll initiative and get a 1 on the die or are surprised at the start of combat this item activates. The blink spell is cast on the owner and they are automatically pulled into the Ethereal Plane as per the spell description.

My idea is that this makes rolling a 1 on initiative actually something to look forward to, while still providing a solid benefit (effective immunity to surprise) worth using an attunement slot on. Still, 1 in 20 fights is a pretty low ratio, I was wondering if I should increase the range on the initiative roll to make the item more attractive.

Galithar
2019-04-10, 05:24 PM
How about making it so it has X charges per day and is triggered by the player?

Broach of Ethereal Defense
When you would roll initiative you may instead choose to spend 1 charge and substitute 10 (or whatever number you find appropriate, I went with a mid number so it doesn't make you act super fast, but also doesn't seem like you have to 'punish' yourself and go last) in place of your initiative roll.

When activated the Broach casts Blink on you and immediately pulls you into the Ethereal plane, as per the spell description.

The Broach has 2 charges and regains one charge each day at dawn.

I just personally like to be in control of things like this and don't want an item that relies on random chance, and/or something bad to happen. I want to be able to use it when *I* want it.

Pagrek
2019-04-10, 05:36 PM
I just personally like to be in control of things like this and don't want an item that relies on random chance, and/or something bad to happen. I want to be able to use it when *I* want it.

That's a good point. I made it key off initiative because it adds an element of randomness just like the spell itself, but that additional uncertainty might make people less excited if they find it in a treasure pile. I like the two charges that regenerate 1 at dawn. It makes the player consider how much they want to use it. If I used the charge idea I'd get probably get rid of the initiative bit entirely since the player now has control of its activation. It would just be the player can spend a charge after initiative is rolled

Galithar
2019-04-10, 05:38 PM
That's a good point. I made it key off initiative because it adds an element of randomness just like the spell itself, but that additional uncertainty might make people less excited if they find it in a treasure pile. I like the two charges that regenerate 1 at dawn. It makes the player consider how much they want to use it. If I used the charge idea I'd get probably get rid of the initiative bit entirely since the player now has control of its activation. It would just be the player can spend a charge after initiative is rolled

That works too, but I was trying to maintain it's ability to be a defense against surprise attacks. Though you could still do that by making it's activation trigger when you roll initiative without actually modifying the initiative roll.

Great Dragon
2019-04-29, 12:31 AM
I keeping with the 5e Action Economy:

I would make the activation a Reaction, with the 2 charge (gain 1/Dawn) limit.

Still gives the Player choices, but also makes them more aware of the price to use it.

I think this would be a Rare item, at least.

A Legendary version might have 10 charges, and regain 1d4/Dawn.