PDA

View Full Version : looking for a caster monk class

Ryabede
2019-04-11, 11:20 PM
base class, arcane or psion preferred but not required

TheYell
2019-04-12, 12:46 AM
monks need strength, wisdom, dexterity and constitution, if you made them need intelligence or charisma they'd be impossible to succeed. or so I figure

Arkhios
2019-04-12, 01:23 AM
There's the Enlightened Fist Prestige Class from Complete Arcane (3.5).

Basically intended for a Monk and any one Arcane Spellcaster multiclass. Best combined with the Ascetic Mage -feat from Complete Adventurer, which allows you to stack your Monk and Sorcerer levels to determine your AC bonus. Also, with the feat, you get to apply Charisma to your AC instead of Wisdom; plus you can multiclass freely between sorcerer and monk classes.

I know it's not what you asked per sé, but it's what you can get if you play 3.5 (which is what I assumed; If not, you should probably tell which edition you were talking about, and we might be able to help you more).

Maat Mons
2019-04-12, 02:26 AM
For published material, there's the Tashalatora feat. It lets you pick any psionic class, and stack your levels in it with your Monk levels for purposes of Unarmed Damage, Flurry of Blows, and your unarmored AC bonus.

Psychic Warrior or Ardent are psionic classes that work off of Wisdom and have 3/4 base attack bonus. Alternatively, there are several feats that switch your monk stuff over to Intelligence. It's even possible to switch it over to Charisma, but it doesn't mesh well with the psionic angle.

For homebrew, there almost certainly is something, but I'd have to dig around to have any chance of finding it.

nickl_2000
2019-04-12, 03:02 PM
monks need strength, wisdom, dexterity and constitution, if you made them need intelligence or charisma they'd be impossible to succeed. or so I figure

Why does a Monk need strength? I would argue that a Monk needs the least amount of strength of any class
-They don't actually need weapons or frankly much gear
-They don't need athletics for climbing since they can run up walls
-They never wear armor to be encumbered
-They even get Prof in strength saves eventually.

JNAProductions
2019-04-12, 03:12 PM
Why does a Monk need strength? I would argue that a Monk needs the least amount of strength of any class
-They don't actually need weapons or frankly much gear
-They don't need athletics for climbing since they can run up walls
-They never wear armor to be encumbered
-They even get Prof in strength saves eventually.

I think this is a 3.5 thread.

Monks used to need Strength for damage, and maybe hit?

Ryabede
2019-04-12, 04:08 PM
sry, 3.5 or pathfinder. Was hoping for some sweet homebrew class, or info of an oversight on my part.

Alabenson
2019-04-12, 04:32 PM
I have a fairly monk-like homebrew class called The Ascetic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?388309-The-Ascetic-(PEACH)) that combines initiating with full-casting, but the casting side is entirely focused on healing so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-12, 04:38 PM
I'd start with what you want out of a "monk", and go from there. How much of a caster are you wanting... a full caster who gets some monk abilities? Half-caster? 2/3 caster, like a bard? What do you mean by monk?

If I were to build this, I'd probably go with a 2/3 caster, and start with a bard. Strip out all the bardic abilities, use them to build up the Monk Stuff. Rebuild the spell list to be Monk Stuff.

Alternatively, look at a Psychic Warrior as a base. Maybe some Psychic feats that function similarly to Reserve feats from Complete Arcane... so long as you have 1 PSP, you can do these things?

nickl_2000
2019-04-12, 05:04 PM
I think this is a 3.5 thread.

Monks used to need Strength for damage, and maybe hit?

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you!