PDA

View Full Version : Blues; Psionic Goblinoids (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-04-12, 06:24 PM
This page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByB65cqRt4)

In a goblinoid settlement, a small percentage of goblins are born Blues, blue tinged goblinoids with a bright light behind their eyes and a knack for psionics.

Ability Score Increase
Despite being a goblinoid, blues tend to be clever and more intelligent than average. Your Dexterity score increases by 1 and your Intelligence score increases by 2.

Age.
Goblins reach adulthood at age 8 and live up to 60 years.

Alignment.
Blues, like goblins, are typically evil, as they care only for their own needs. Most swing strongly toward either law or chaos, based on which they think can get them the furthest ahead in goblinoid society.

Size.
Blues are between 3 and 4 feet tall and weigh between 35 and 60 pounds. Your size is Small.

Speed.
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision.
You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Goblin.

Generic goblinoid traits.

Thief
Using their psionic abilities to read others, Blues naturally gain proficiency in Deception and Sleight of Hand checks.

Not entirely sure this fits with the basic principle, but it certainly leans toward the "role" of blues as I see them in goblinoid society.

Psionic Manipulation
You have innate access to certain psionics. You can manifest the Delusion talent. When you reach 3rd level, you can manifest the Incite Fear power once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can manifest the Ego Whip power once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Intelligence is your psionic ability for these powers.

Delusion
Psionic Talent
As an action, you plant a false belief in the mind of one creature that you can see within 60 feet of you. You can create a sound or an image. Only the target of this talent perceives the sound or image you create. If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else's voice, a creature's roar, a musical instrument, or any other sound you pick. It lasts for 1 minute. If you create an object, it must fit within a 5-foot cube and can’t move or be reflective. The image can't create any effect that influences a sense other than sight. The image lasts for 1 minute, and it disappears if the creature touches it.

Incite Fear (2 psi; conc., 1 min.). As an action, choose one creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened of you until your concentration ends. Whenever the frightened target ends its turn in a location where it can’t see you, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Ego Whip (3 psi). As an action, choose one creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 psychic damage, and it is filled with self-doubt, leaving it able to use its action on its next turn only to take the Dodge, Disengage, or Hide action. On a successful saving throw, it takes half as much damage.

Psionics instead of spellcasting, although I don't think these powers have changed from the AU Mystic. I'm particularly interesting in how the basic principle here would work. Currently the two powers are from different disciplines, and no psychic focus is granted. I think a psychic focus would have negative synergy with PCs of such a race taking a psionic class.

My count for this on Detect Balance is 24, assuming talents are equivalent to cantrips, and similar comparisons work for 2 psi point powers vs. 1st level spells and 3 psi point powers vs. 2nd level spells.