PDA

View Full Version : Boredom Brewing [Alternative Ritual Casting]

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-16, 04:52 PM
I've got nothing against rituals or ritual casting. I'm just bored and felt like brewing something.
In order for this to work, all existing ritual tags are removed.

Wizard Ritual Casting
At first level, and everytime you gain a level, you can choose one spell from your spellbook to gain the Ritual tag. As long as you have the book with you, you can cast the spell as a ritual without having it prepared.

Druid and Cleric Ritual Casting
At the end of a long rest, you can choose to prepare a spell as a ritual instead of preparing it normally. You cannot have more than one spell of each spell level prepared as a ritual.

Bard Ritual Casting
At first level, and everytime you gain a level, you can choose one of your known spells to gain the Ritual tag, including spells you just learned from gaining a level. You can have a number of know rituals up to a number equal to your spellcasting ability modifier.

Ritual Casting Feat
Choose one of the following classes: bard, cleric, druid, Sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You can choose two spells from your chosen class that have a spell level no higher than half your level (rounded up). You can cast the chosen spells, but only as rituals. The class you choose also determines your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Optional Rule: You can retrain one ritual at the end of a long rest.

The Ritual Tag
Certain spells have a special tag: ritual.
Such a spell can be cast following the normal rules for spellcasting, or the spell can be cast as a ritual. The ritual version of a spell takes 10 minutes longer to cast than normal. It also doesn’t expend a spell slot, which means the ritual version of a spell can’t be cast at a higher level.
You can only have one instance of a spell cast as a ritual active at any given time. In addition, you can cast the same ritual a limited amount of times per day, up to a number equal to your spellcasting ability modifier.
A spell of 7th Level or higher cannot gain the Ritual tag.

Thoughts
There are a ton of intricacies and interactions that need to be realised, and this would of course go through some heavy playtesting, but I think it's a fun little twist on the Ritual mechanic.