PDA

View Full Version : Displaced (5e background)

HamsterKun
2019-04-20, 05:27 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10igXhJld4EyaWA-UsAtDnGezRoPX7n9hUs9Saj-4H0c/edit

For characters from the real world spirited away to a fantastical land :wink:

Crisis21
2019-04-20, 07:26 PM
...I love it.

One suggestion: Since most backgrounds are two Skills and two Tools or Languages (or one of each), I'd suggest allowing the character to know one language completely foreign to the world they find themselves in (Such as Spanish or French for example).

HamsterKun
2019-04-20, 08:07 PM
...I love it.

One suggestion: Since most backgrounds are two Skills and two Tools or Languages (or one of each), I'd suggest allowing the character to know one language completely foreign to the world they find themselves in (Such as Spanish or French for example).

I can ponder that. On the flipside, they get to choose any two skills (bar Arcana, History, and Religion), AND they have an excuse to metagame :biggrin:

And on languages, that can be fluff. If the campaign begins at the time they’re first summoned, there is no way they could know, say, Elvish.

Crisis21
2019-04-20, 09:47 PM
For Skills, you could say that they can pick two based on their previous profession. Like, say, Librarian might have Intimidation and Investigation.

Although, in all honesty, choice of Skills when it comes to background isn't that big a deal. Backgrounds are one of the few things you could homebrew on-demand if you had to. Unless you have a really anal DM, it should be trivial to get whatever Background proficiencies you want, so long as it's limited to 2 Skills and either 2 Tools, 2 Languages, or 1 of each.

And, yeah, you might have an excuse to metagame *some* based on your character's knowledge of D&D, but not to a level that would be too unusual. I mean, most monsters a player character might encounter will likely be common knowledge in-universe anyway and it's not like the DM will let you look at the monster manual for every foe he has you fight.

And besides, how useful would a language that only your character knows be? Unless it's one of those settings where Elvish is spoken exactly like French and Dwarvish like German or something.

HamsterKun
2019-04-20, 10:13 PM
And besides, how useful would a language that only your character knows be? Unless it's one of those settings where Elvish is spoken exactly like French and Dwarvish like German or something.

Debatable; depends on the campaign setting.