PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Homebrew class idea: Savant

Alucard 109
2019-04-23, 05:18 PM
I had the rough idea for a home brew class, and I'd like your guy's help completing/balancing it. The point of the class is that it's very simple. Very few class features, so spellcasting, just pure raw stats.
Here's what I have so far
HD: d8

level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Class Features

+2 to attribute score, minor feature based off highest stat

+2 to attribute score

+2 to attribute score

+2 to attribute score

+2 to attribute score, feature based off highest attribute

+3 to attribute score

+3 to attribute score

+3 to attribute score

+3 to attribute score

+3 to attribute score, feature based off highest attribute

+4 to attribute score

+4 to attribute score

+4 to attribute score

+4 to attribute score

+4 to attribute score, feature based off highest attribute

+5 to attribute score

+5 to attribute score

+5 to attribute score

+5 to attribute score

+5 to attribute score, capstone feature based off highest attribute

Skills: savants are proficient with any 4 skills (chosen at 1st level) and gain 2+int skill points per level

Weapon and armor proficiencies: savants are proficient with simple weapons, light and medium armor, and all shields except tower shields

Attribute boosts: each level the savant gain's an untyped bonus to the base attribute of the player's choice. This bonus stacks with itself

(Unnamed class feature) at first, fifth, tenth, fifteenth, and twentieth level, a savant gains an ability based off whichever base attribute is highest. Should the savant's highest attribute change, and remain changed for at least 24 hours, they lose whatever ability they previously had, and gain a new ability based off their current highest base attribute

First level

highest attribute
feature gained

strength
Martial weapon proficiency as a bonus feat

dexterity
Weapon finesse as a bonus feat

Constitution
Heavy armor proficiency as a bonus feat

intelligence
Education as a bonus feat

wisdom
Track as a bonus feat

[tr]
Charisma
Communicator as a bonus feat

ngilop
2019-04-23, 09:00 PM
I am not sure what the point of this class is to be honest.

I mean other than getting +70 to a stat by level 20. Even with random class features, it just seems tobe a bit much or not enough

You could be having something like 110+ to a stat by level 20, giving you a +50 modifier so any ability you base it off of is going to be insanely good.

I feel that something more akin to the war hulk is more appropriate, and a prestige class makes a lot more sense than a base class that focuses on a single ability attribute.

Alucard 109
2019-04-23, 09:19 PM
It was originally just a thought experiment of mine, but I wanted to see if I could actually make something out of it. It's basically designed to hyperfocus on a particular role at the detriment of practically everything else, without actually making the class focused on a specific role. As the name Savant suggests, the character would be superhumanly competent at what they specialize in, but be subpar in situations where it wasn't applicable.

Edit: the issue is balancing between sorta useless and gamebreakingly powerful