PDA

View Full Version : WTF r sportsmanship n00b?

tannish2
2007-10-03, 04:54 PM
i wasnt going to post here again but this is bugging the crap out of me and most forum registration e-mails hate me... who here knows what sportsmanship is, or why it matters? or why noone on the internet in ANY country seems to have any ****ing idea what it is? and why those who do seem to not apply it to video games because they arent sports?(which is WRONG, if pokers a sport, then SC is definetly a sport) or am i just insane/retarded?

SurlySeraph
2007-10-03, 05:05 PM
Because many of the people who play a lot of videogames online aren't terribly good at sports, and therefore spurn everything with "sports" in its name?

Jack Squat
2007-10-03, 05:07 PM
First, I'll point out that this might belong more over in Gaming(Other), but if that's the case then a mod'll move it.

Next, most people don't use sportsmanship because of the "anonymity" of the Internet. They figure they don't have to deal with these people in real life, so what they do doesn't have any reprocussions. Is this right? of course not, but it's the way the world works.

Only suggestion I have is learn to deal with it or stop playing games online.

Arameus
2007-10-03, 05:22 PM
You have an insatiable love for pointing out hateful aspects that you believe everyone besides you exhibits, and yet I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found out that you weren't, in fact, some sort of gift from On High to present an exemplar to us baser creatures.

In fact, I'm already sure that's not the case. You are, in fact, only posting this here, you yourself admit, because you have so far found registering in another forum not worth your time. So, despite not caring or not liking our responses or opinions sufficiently to actually merit reading them over anyone else's, you still feel the need to dump your holier-than-thou garbage on the unwashed masses as which you see us or any other forums' posters.

You insult us, then ask our support. You honestly lament that all Internet users of every nation around the world, besides you, naturally, have abandoned sportsmanlike behavior. You cap it off by trying to build a case for the sport-status of gaming by insulting the legitimacy of another sport, which, since you obviously don't think it's worthy of the title, negates your own argument. And you wrap it in a package of such ill-conceived grammar that your faulty high-horse is made even more ersatz and your egoism even more outlandish.

Truthfully, I don't know if you're retarded or insane; it's too tough a choice.

Rykaj
2007-10-03, 05:49 PM
I was heading for a snarky but to the point reply, but it seems Arameus did the best job possible. But seriously, if you want to keep up ranting of this kind I'd want to suggest you to look into getting a blog or a myspace or whatever they call it, cause I believe that's where this belongs.

Crow
2007-10-03, 06:13 PM
You have an insatiable love for pointing out hateful aspects that you believe everyone besides you exhibits, and yet I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found out that you weren't, in fact, some sort of gift from On High to present an exemplar to us baser creatures.

In fact, I'm already sure that's not the case. You are, in fact, only posting this here, you yourself admit, because you have so far found registering in another forum not worth your time. So, despite not caring or not liking our responses or opinions sufficiently to actually merit reading them over anyone else's, you still feel the need to dump your holier-than-thou garbage on the unwashed masses as which you see us or any other forums' posters.

You insult us, then ask our support. You honestly lament that all Internet users of every nation around the world, besides you, naturally, have abandoned sportsmanlike behavior. You cap it off by trying to build a case for the sport-status of gaming by insulting the legitimacy of another sport, which, since you obviously don't think it's worthy of the title, negates your own argument. And you wrap it in a package of such ill-conceived grammar that your faulty high-horse is made even more ersatz and your egoism even more outlandish.

Truthfully, I don't know if you're retarded or insane; it's too tough a choice.

But ironically, your reply has been the most pointless thus far...

If you have a problem with the topic, just skip it.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-03, 06:21 PM
I know what sportsmanship is, and i show it in everything i do. Having played just about every sport offered in my town, and having been doing sports since around the age of 4, I have had the concept drilled into me. I would appreciate it if you would not make generalized statements that are obviously not true.

as to your question though: I must agree that many online RTS gamers are lacking in the sportsmanship department, possibly for the main reason that they never played sports, so haven't experienced having to give it all the time.

Solo
2007-10-03, 06:37 PM
But ironically, your reply has been the most pointless thus far...

If you have a problem with the topic, just skip it.

His post was at least amusing.

Muz
2007-10-03, 06:45 PM
I won't get involved in the board politics which apparently seem to exist here (the details of which I'm ignorant anyway and wish to remain so), but I will say 3 things:

1) Games online would definitely be more enjoyable if more people were better winners and losers

2) Video games are not "sports," they're games. Anything called a sport has to have an athletic component. This doesn't mean games can't be played competitively (or even professionally). (Of course, sports are also, often, games...but that's another discussion.)

3) Poker ain't a sport, either, sport. :smallwink:

This is my opinion only, and in no way have I attempted to consult any other source, or back my statements up in any way. Any attempts to persuade me that my statements are inaccurate are doomed to failure, as I am adhering to the idea that if I'm stubborn enough, I shall change the world. ...Cause, dangit, poker should NOT be called a "sport!" :smallwink:

...And I don't even really LIKE sports. I just like words! :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2007-10-03, 07:18 PM
*snipped*

Yes, he's ungrammatical and self-righteous, but do you have to be quite that hostile? It's a semi-legitimate question, and I don't think he intended to sound insulting, just to discuss civility or the lack thereof in online culture.

Roland St. Jude
2007-10-03, 07:30 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I think I'm going to lock this in the interest of heading off trouble at the pass. The OP's plenty hostile with profanity to boot, and the responses seem to mirror that. Let's let it lie.