PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Exotic Weapon Master Feat

mythmonster2
2019-05-01, 10:26 PM
So, I went looking back through my 3.5 books, and found myself missing Exotic weapons. Sure, most of them sucked, but there was a neat idea in your character getting to wield weapons nobody else does. Here's my attempt at bringing it back for 5e.

Exotic Weapon Master
You have mastered a weapon most people have never even heard of. It may be a weapon from a far-off land, a weapon you have crafted yourself, or even something from another plane. You may choose this weapon’s characteristics from the list below. Choose three options. The weapon begins as a one-handed melee weapon with 1d6 damage that does bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing damage.
• The weapon gains the two-handed property. This option does not count against your number of options, and you gain one additional option.
• The weapon gains the finesse property.
• The weapon gains the reach property.
• The weapon gains the versatile property. If you wield the weapon in two hands, increase its damage dice by one step. You cannot choose this option if your weapon already has the highest damage die, or if the weapon has the two-handed property.
• The weapon gains the thrown property. It has a range of 20/60.
• Increase the damage dice of the weapon by one step (1d6->1d8->1d10->1d12 OR 2d6). You may choose this option more than once.
• You get a +1 bonus to AC while wielding the weapon.
• Your weapon attacks with the weapon score a critical hit on a 19 or a 20. This ability does not stack with other abilities, like the Champion’s Improved Critical.
• When you score a critical hit with the weapon, roll the weapon’s damage dice three times, instead of two. This does not apply to any additional damage.
• The weapon is a double weapon. When you take the attack action and make a two-handed attack with the weapon, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with another part of the weapon. This attack does not add your ability score modifier, unless you have the Two-Weapon Fighting Fighting Style or a similar effect. This attack's damage die is reduced one step.
• When you hit a creature with the weapon, you may use your bonus action to knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you. If you do, the attack deals no damage.
• If you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attacking with the weapon, you deal an additional 1d6 damage on the first attack you make with the weapon this turn.

The main balance points I'm concerned about are the knockdown ability and the potential to dual-wield 2d6 weapons. The latter one, at least, does require 2 feats, which could set a build back, but still seems potentially OP. I've been considering locking the highest tier of damage dice behind two-handed, and making the knockdown prohibit you from making extra attacks that round. Thoughts?

JNAProductions
2019-05-01, 10:45 PM
Quick thing-Double Weapon doesn't work, as written. You need TWO Light Weapons to dual-wield, not just one (without an additional feat).

mythmonster2
2019-05-02, 09:00 AM
Quick thing-Double Weapon doesn't work, as written. You need TWO Light Weapons to dual-wield, not just one (without an additional feat).

Thanks, I decided to change how it works after a friend showed me the existing double scimitar. Somehow I completely missed that being a thing.