PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Feedback on These Two Homebrew 5e D&D Monk Subclasses

Spieldog20
2019-05-03, 06:21 PM
I am seeking feedback, positive and critical, for these two homebrew monk subclasses I have created:

Way of the Righteous: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkVTjAYsN

Way of Mystic Visions: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkaxnkqo4

I am looking for feedback on all levels, including thematic feedback, mechanical feedback, and overall feedback on the power level.

I appreciate your courtesy and time!

Spieldog20

bid
2019-05-03, 07:10 PM
IW has issues:
- An Inspirational Warrior attack cannot be used by another monk to trigger a Flurry of Blows attack.
Pointless. Flurry of blows requires a BA, on your turn, after taking the attack action. None of that is true when you take a reaction.
- Commander's strike requires a BA. Your version has it free of charge.

Block Chakra
- why remove the end-of-turn saves and make it more effective than the spell?
- Slow is a 3rd spell, and you don't get access to 3rd rituals until level 9
- based on your ki-empowered spells feature, it should cost 4 ki to cast a 3rd spell.

Third eye expands is roughly equivalent to expertise in all Wis skills, in addition to the initiative bonus.

Spieldog20
2019-05-03, 08:56 PM
IW has issues:
- An Inspirational Warrior attack cannot be used by another monk to trigger a Flurry of Blows attack.
Pointless. Flurry of blows requires a BA, on your turn, after taking the attack action. None of that is true when you take a reaction.
- Commander's strike requires a BA. Your version has it free of charge.

Block Chakra
- why remove the end-of-turn saves and make it more effective than the spell?
- Slow is a 3rd spell, and you don't get access to 3rd rituals until level 9
- based on your ki-empowered spells feature, it should cost 4 ki to cast a 3rd spell.

Third eye expands is roughly equivalent to expertise in all Wis skills, in addition to the initiative bonus.

Thanks for commenting. Let me share my reasoning on these, so you know where my thinking was.

IW: - I agree the language you list is pointless, I guess I included it for the dummies. I will remove it.
- Compared to Commanders Strike my thinking was that 1) this is not gained until level 6 instead of level 3, and 2) it is limited per long rest to 1-5 uses, depending on your Wis score, like the level TWO War Cleric ability. By comparison, BM can use CS many more times depending on short rests. Is that enough to make this ok, or should I remove the added radiant damage to make it more similar to the War Cleric ability instead?

Block Chakra: Ki empowered spells casts the full spell, but limited to paladin spell list and limited uses per long rest, so not sure how comparable the ki cost is, but this effect is single target unlike Slow being an Area of effect. Also, it only targets one creature rather than an area of effect but still uses concentration. And if they make the initial save, no effect. Comparing ki costs, Quivering Palm costs just 3 ki, so I was unclear on balancing the ki cost.

Third eye expands: yes, that is nearly the point, except it is dependent on Wis stat so you need to spend ASI on Wis instead of feats or Dex or MCing to get the big values. I originally had it as expertise to Perception and Insight, but figured key it to Wis instead of level and adding Animal Handling and Medicine is no big deal. And never seen a straight Wis check called for (unlike Dex, Str, Con, and Int). Is this balanced or too powerful?