PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Concentration and Area Control

Nagog
2019-05-14, 10:25 AM
Hello! I'm fairly new to this site but I made an account to get a discussion going on a topic I'd like some advice on.

I'm looking to create a druid in 5e that operates in combat with some heavy area control. The campaign party leans heavily towards spell casters (only "martial" class is an arcane trickster), so I'd like to lean into some Area Control to help us not get absolutely slaughtered in just a few rounds, as well as I think I'd really enjoy the tactical application of the spells Druids have access to. I've decided that I'm going to use a homebrew subclass I found on GM Binder called Circle of Storms as that seems to be the style I'm going for. The wall that keeps coming up for me is concentration spells. I've played Wizards and Bards before and the number of concentration spells to instantaneous spells was balanced enough it was never an issue, however Druids seem to have a large number of concentration spells. Is there any sort of magic item that could allow more than 1 concentration spell at a time? I understand for balancing issues it would be a maximum of 2 or maybe 3 spells, but even so. Preferably the item isn't all too rare or otherwise OP (Like the mech thing in Strahd's) but just kinda a flavor item with this effect.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-14, 11:56 AM
Hello! I'm fairly new to this site but I made an account to get a discussion going on a topic I'd like some advice on.

I'm looking to create a druid in 5e that operates in combat with some heavy area control. The campaign party leans heavily towards spell casters (only "martial" class is an arcane trickster), so I'd like to lean into some Area Control to help us not get absolutely slaughtered in just a few rounds, as well as I think I'd really enjoy the tactical application of the spells Druids have access to. I've decided that I'm going to use a homebrew subclass I found on GM Binder called Circle of Storms as that seems to be the style I'm going for. The wall that keeps coming up for me is concentration spells. I've played Wizards and Bards before and the number of concentration spells to instantaneous spells was balanced enough it was never an issue, however Druids seem to have a large number of concentration spells. Is there any sort of magic item that could allow more than 1 concentration spell at a time? I understand for balancing issues it would be a maximum of 2 or maybe 3 spells, but even so. Preferably the item isn't all too rare or otherwise OP (Like the mech thing in Strahd's) but just kinda a flavor item with this effect.

One of the biggest things the developers are against is allowing anyone to have more Concentration.

But there are a few ways to get around that:

Play a Sorcerer, with some minor modifications (Using Druid list, casting like a Druid, using Wisdom instead of Charisma, etc).
Use spells that create long-term control without Concentration (Land Druid-Arctic does this really well. Just look up ice or water related spells, and you'll see exactly what I mean).

If you were to allow Concentration on two spells, it'd have to be fairly debilitating to do so.

For example, making it a Crystal Ball that you can use to copy a small part of your mind. You can use the Crystal Ball to help you maintain Concentration on a second spell. However, Concentrating on two spells at once prevents you from casting any other spells until Concentration on one of the spells is removed. When making Concentration Checks, your check determines the success/loss for both spells.

After using the Crystal Ball to Concentrate on a second spell this way, you suffer from Exhaustion after both spells end.

If you put the Crystal Ball near someone's face while they are sleeping, you can hear what they're hearing in their dreams.

Nagog
2019-05-30, 05:38 PM
Valid point. I've decided to just go with the Circle of Storms and just one wide range control spell such as Entangle or Spike Growth and let the thunder storm class ability deal the majority of the damage, but these suggestions are great for future use. I'm DMing a party of mostly spellcasters so that Crystal Ball may be a fun magic item to throw in and watch them argue over who gets to use it XD