PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Redwall Races for Pathfinder

Izzarra
2019-05-15, 01:12 AM
A few years ago I wrote up Pathfinder race specs for the Redwall Books by Brian Jacques and I am thinking of dusting them off and asking if somebody would like to GM a game with them.
I would appreciate some suggestions as many of the races have a lot of overlap (FYI the Badgers are supposed to be over powered).

RP total: 24

+4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom [6 RP]

Anthropomorphic creature: eat, breath, and sleep. [4 RP]
- Low-Light Vision
- Keen Senses: +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.

Large: Badgers have a –1 size penalty to their AC, a –1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks. A Large creature takes up a space that is 10 feet by 10 feet and has a reach of 5 feet. [7 RP]

Normal Speed: 30 ft [0 RP]

Rage (Ex): Badgers can enter a rage once per day. Gaining a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a -2 penalty to AC. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to Constitution modifier plus 1 round/level. The effect is otherwise identical with a barbarian's rage except that the subjects aren't fatigued at the end of the rage. Badger Barbarians instead gain 2 additional rounds of rage per day. [3 RP]

Ferocity (Ex): If a badgers the hit points fall below 0 but it is not yet dead, it can continue to fight. If it does, it is staggered, and loses 1 hit point each round. It still dies when its hit points reach a negative amount equal to its Constitution score. [4 RP]

RP total: 16

+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma [6 RP]

- Low-Light Vision

Medium Size [0 RP]

Trickster: Foxes gain a +1 racial bonus on Bluff and Sleight of Hand checks and one of these skills is always a class skill for them. [2 RP]

Silver Tongued: Foxes gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can do so up to three steps up rather than just two. [3 RP]

Poison Use: Foxes are skilled in the use of poisons and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves. [1 RP]

RP total: 18

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma [2 RP]

- Low-Light Vision

Medium Size [0 RP]

Fast Speed: 40 ft [1 RP]

Good Hearing: Hares have +2 racial bonus on auditory Perception checks, this is in addition to keen senses. [1 RP]

Fleet-Footed: Hares receive Run as a bonus feat and have a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks. [3 RP]

Runner: Hares receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, and thirst. [2 RP]

Sprinter: Hares gain a +10 foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions. [1 RP]

Swordtrained: Hares are trained from birth in swordplay, and as a result are automatically proficient with swordlike weapons (including bastard swords, daggers, elven curve blades, falchions, greatswords, kukris, longswords, punching daggers, rapiers, scimitars, short swords, and two-bladed swords). [4 RP]

Powerful Kick: Hares have a powerful kick that is a secondary natural attack that deals 1d6 damage. [1 RP]

Glutton: Hares eat twice as much as other races. [-1 RP]

RP total: 16

+2 racial bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation. [0 RP]

- Low-Light Vision

Medium Size [0 RP]

Bonus Feat: Hedgehogs select one extra feat at 1st level. [4 RP]

Skilled: Hedgehogs gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level. [4 RP]

Adaptability: Hedgehogs receive Skill Focus as a bonus feat at 1st level. [2 RP]

Spines: A hedgehog is covered in spines which function as spiked armor. [2 RP]

RP total: 14

- Low-Light Vision

Medium Size [0 RP]

Bonus Feat: These races select one extra feat at 1st level. [4 RP]

Skilled: These races gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level. [4 RP]

Adaptability: These races receive Skill Focus as a bonus feat at 1st level. [2 RP]

-2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom [0 RP]

- Low-Light Vision

Blindsense 30 Feet: Moles can notice things they cannot see by feeling vibrations through their digging claws. Moles usually do not need to make Perception checks to pinpoint the location of a creature within 30 feet, provided they have line of effect to that creature. A creature that moles cannot see still has total concealment against individuals with blindsense, and moles still have the normal miss chance when attacking creatures that have concealment. Visibility still affects the movement of moles. Moles are still denied their Dexterity bonus to AC against attacks from creatures they cannot see. [4 RP]

Medium Size [0 RP]

Slow Speed: Moles have a base speed of 20 feet. their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance. [-1 RP]

Burrow: Moles have a burrow speed of 10 feet. [2 RP]

Cave Dweller: Moles have a +1 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival checks made underground. [1 RP]

Stonecunning: Moles receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking. [1 RP]

Craftsman: Moles of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on all Craft or Profession checks to create objects. [2 RP]

Land Lover: Moles receive a -1 racial penalty on all rolls when in or on the water. If it is stormy this penalty increases to -2. [-3 RP]

RP total: 15

+2 Strength [4 RP]

- Low-Light Vision

Medium Size [0 RP]

Powerful Build: The physical stature of an otter lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an otter is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the otter is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. An otter is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An otter can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category. [2 RP]

Swim: Otters have a swim speed of 30 feet and gain the +8 racial bonus on Swim checks that a swim speed normally grants. [2 RP]

Hold Breath: Otters can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to four times their Constitution score before risking drowning or suffocating. [1 RP]

Sea Raider: Otters gain a +2 racial bonus on Profession (sailor) checks and a +1 racial bonus on damage rolls against foes and objects in or on top of the water. [2 RP]

- Low-Light Vision

Medium Size [0 RP]

Skilled: Squirrels gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level. [4 RP]

Natural Climber: Squirrels have a climb speed of 30 feet and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants. [2 RP]

RP total: 13

- Low-Light Vision

Small: Shrews are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. [0 RP]

Skilled: Shrews gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level. [4 RP]

Weapon Familiarity: Shrews are proficient with rapiers and bows. [1 RP]

Riverfolk: Shrews gain a +2 bonus on Profession (sailor), and Craft checks to repair ships. [2 RP]

Fear of Snakes: Shrews have a natural fear of snakes and receive a -2 to all roles pertaining to snakes. [-2 RP]

Luin Dezlat
2019-05-16, 08:44 PM
Dude, this brings back so many memories. I'm gonna have to try running a game in the Redwall-verse sometime!

Nice Job!

Awun
2019-05-24, 11:54 PM
Ditto on the nostalgia, I suddenly have an urge to reread the series. Thanks for making this post. These look good, each of the races seem to fit well with the abilities and exploits of the book counterparts.
The rp values of the races are a touch on the high side, but in a Redwall campaign with no other races its not a big deal since they would largely balance against each other. I do have a question though, what is the type of these races? Humanoid? I see that were type would normally be listed you have "Anthropomorphic creature", with related traits. While creating a new creature type is doable, there are a number of rules interactions to consider. Aside from this the existing anthropomorphic beast races (tengu, kitsune, ratfolk, ect.) are all humanoid with their race as a subtype.

Izzarra
2019-05-25, 01:11 AM
For a purely Redwall game I was thinking that Anthropomorphic creature would probably take the place of humanoid with its own list of subtypes.

For a regular game with these brought in as an option, Anthropomorphic creature might be a subtype of humanoid. Or they could be divided up into a list of subtypes for humanoid such as anthropomorphic mouse.

Looking back now I suppose it would not hurt to drop Keen Senses off of them to bring the average RP down a bit.

Fortis
2019-06-14, 11:36 AM
Man, it has been ages since I've read those books. This brings back memories. Good to see someone else that enjoys building races in Pathfinder. One thing that I did notice is that Anthropomorphic Creature strikes me as a touch expensive for what it provides. Low light vision (1 RP) and keen senses (pretty much a skill bonus, 2 RP). Granted, this is in line with the vanilla race builder creature types. For the vanilla types, though, I think the extra expense is justified by opening up access to traits that require certain types as a prerequisite. What race traits require Anthropomorphic Creature?

That aside, these races look good, and could fit into any pathfinder game, Redwall focused or otherwise. I'm wondering, do you plan to make more races? Wildcats, for example?

I also notice that you've also made several custom race traits to go with the new races. I've made a lot of race traits myself, but I wish I had thought of some of these. Would you mind if I add a few of them to my list of homebrew race traits? You'd be credited of course. I was mainly looking at Good Hearing, Powerful kick, spines, and powerful build. And one inspired by Fear of Snakes, though more of a general 'phobia' weakness trait that causes shaken when facing a certain creature type.

Izzarra
2019-06-14, 10:54 PM
What race traits require Anthropomorphic Creature?

It would be functionally equivalent to the Monstrous Humanoid Quality in terms of what it unlocks.

I'm wondering, do you plan to make more races? Wildcats, for example?

I figured that wildcats were close enough to cat-folk that it was probably not necessary to build the race for the sake of having it written up to make a campaign villain, although I might make some tweaks if a player wanted to play one.

If somebody made a request for a specific race I would write it up.

I also notice that you've also made several custom race traits to go with the new races. I've made a lot of race traits myself, but I wish I had thought of some of these. Would you mind if I add a few of them to my list of homebrew race traits? You'd be credited of course. I was mainly looking at Good Hearing, Powerful kick, spines, and powerful build. And one inspired by Fear of Snakes, though more of a general 'phobia' weakness trait that causes shaken when facing a certain creature type.

Go ahead and use whatever you like.
I cannot take credit for powerful build I found it on the Half-Giant race in Psionics Unleashed, all I did was assign a point value.