PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help with main part of druid circle

Mystical-man
2019-05-18, 08:46 PM
I am currently working on a druid circle that is themed around the character increasing their own body's physical abilities instead of changing completely like how normal wildshape works. The way I have tried to do this is by giving "beast states" and I am planning to do a complete subclass but I would like help on the main concept for now (i.e. the beast states.) This is how I imagine the beast states would look like before any extra buffs like at level 6 or beyond, constructive criticism would be very helpful here as I feel like I haven't been able to do a good job with this.

Edit: I'm planning for this to be everything they get at level 2

You can use your bonus action to expend a wild shape to transform into an animal state. In this state you lose the ability to cast spells but your physical scores are changed to what the state gives you, you gain temporary hit points and abilities detailed in the animal state. This state lasts for 15 minutes.

Bear state

16 STR

10 DEX

16 CON
Temporary hit points: 5 per druid level
Thick hide: you can use your bonus action to expend spell slots to gain temporary hit points equal to Xd10 where X is equal to the spell slot's level

+ 10 feet of movement speed

Bear’s strength: you can add your wisdom to strength saving throws and checks made to resist grapples and shoves

Eagle state

12 STR

16 DEX

12 CON

Temporary hit points: 2 per druid level

+ 20 feet of movement speed

Glide: you are immune to fall damage and fall at half the speed as normal, additionally for every 10 feet you fall you can move forward 5 feet in any direction
Speed of the wind: you can expend a spell slot to gain the ability to disengage as a bonus action and have your movement speed increased by 20 feet. This benefit lasts until you exit beast state

Wolf state

14 STR

14 DEX

14 CON
Temporary hit points: 3 per druid level
+ 10 feet of movement speed

Aggressive: when you perform a melee attack you can add 1d4 to the attack and damage rolls

Maul: when you perform a melee attack against a creature you can expend a spell slot to deal extra damage. This damage is equal to (X+1)d6 where X is equal to the spell slot’s level

Octopus state

14 STR

12 DEX

12 CON
Temporary hit points: 4 points per druid level

- 10 feet of movement speed

+ 40 feet swim speed

Underwater camouflage: when underwater you gain advantage on dexterity (stealth) checks

Water breathing: you can breathe air and underwater
Tentacles: your reach increases by 5 feet and can perform a special melee attack with 15 foot rage which does bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 + your strength modifier

Power whip: when your perform the special melee attack granted by your tentacles feature you can exert a spell slot to deal Xd6 extra damage (X is equal to spell slot level) and have the range increased by 5 feet per the spell slot’s level

JNAProductions
2019-05-18, 09:52 PM
Eagle State gives a rather hefty benefit for one level one slot (because why would you ever spend a higher level one?).

Overall, I'd have to see the whole subclass to give a verdict.

Vogie
2019-05-20, 01:11 PM
I like the concept, very lycanthrope-y.

However, you're creating an assault of additional bookkeeping, on top of the normal deluge of knowledge that Druids have to keep track of. All their possible spells, all the possible wild shapes... now all the possible beast shapes??

In your shoes, I'd take ideas from the Totem barbarian, the Spore Druid, and the Shifter race, and make it a sort of "Alter Self" subclass. I'd allow the druid to channel a beast that allows them to create a hybrid form, expending a use of Wild Shape and giving them bonuses based on a beast, but not new things:

a scaling amount of THP, instead of using it's hit die and hit points
instead of the Druid losing its physical stats, you only gain bonuses if the chosen beast's abilities are better than yours
a scaling natural weapon damage die similar to the martial arts from a monk, and a slowly growing speed boost
You do gain special features of the beast, such as pack tactics, rampage or Underwater breathing, and non-flight speeds.
This way you can shift without fully shifting. A level 2 Druid with 16 Strength could Hybrid Shift into Badger to gain a Burrow Speed and Keen Smell, without dropping their

At 6, you gain the extra attack feature, and your natural weapons bypass magic immunity. I'd also include the ability to increase damage dealt by spending spell slots, similar to the Kensei Monk's Deft Strike.
At 10, you gain the ability to choose forms to specialize in (Bear, Eagle, Wolf, Kraken, Elk, & Tiger) that gives you things like Thick hide, Aggressive, Reach, Glide, et cetera.
At 14, you gain another specialty, similar to the totem barbarian, allowing you to expend spell slots to give yourself the Mark, Mini-flight, Knock prone, Ranged Grapple/Restrain, Trample and Pounce, respectively.

If I have a dull moment tonight or sometime soon, I'll try to write it all out.

Vogie
2019-05-21, 11:48 AM
Circle of Skinwalking

Bonus Cantrip
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you learn the Shillelagh cantrip. If you already know this cantrip, you learn a different druid cantrip of your choice. The cantrip doesn't count against your number of cantrips known.
In addition, your Shillelagh spell can also effect spears.
At 12th level, the damage die of your Shillelagh cantrip increases to 1d10

Hybrid Shape
Starting at 2nd level, you gain the ability to partially transform into a beast. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature and choose a beast from your available wild shape options. You can stay in a hybrid shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down). While in a Hybrid shape, you gain the following features:

You gain 5 temporary hit points for each level you have in this class
You gain an additional 5ft of movement speed for each 5 levels in this class
You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, tentacles or a different natural weapon based on your chosen beast. Your natural weapon strikes are magic finesse weapons and deal 1d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose. While in a hybrid shape, you are proficient with your natural weapons. This damage increases to 1d8 at level 12.
When you use the Attack action with a natural weapon, you can make one natural weapon attack as a bonus action.
You retain your features, including spellcasting, and your own statistics, unless the chosen beast's stat block is higher than yours.
You gain any special abilities, movement and senses of the beast's form, other than a flying speed.
If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has multiattack, or any legendary or lair actions, you can’t use them.
(For Example, a Hybrid Shape into a Giant Badger at level 2 will give the Druid 10 temporary hit points, a burrow speed of 10ft, Keen Smell, and Darkvision of 30 ft, and natural weapon would manifest as either a bite or claw attack.)

Overwhelm
At 6th level, you extend your power into your natural weapons, granting you the following benefits.

Extra Attack - You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn
Savage Strike - When you hit a target with a natural or simple weapon, you can spend a spell slot to cause the weapon to deal extra damage to the target equal to 1d6 per level of the spell slot expended. You can use this feature only once on each of your turns.

Umbral Boon
At 10th level, you choose an umbral spirit of a beast and gain its feature. At your option, you also gain minor physical attributes that are reminiscent of your umbral spirit. For example, if you have a bear umbral spirit, you might be unusually hairy and thick-skinned, or if your totem is the eagle, your eyes turn bright yellow.
Your umbral animal might be an animal related to those listed here but more appropriate to your homeland. For example, you could choose a hawk or vulture in place of an eagle.

Bear - you can add your wisdom to Strength & Dexterity saving throws and checks, and have advantage when resisting grapples and shoves
Eagle - you are immune to fall damage and fall at half the speed as normal. In addition, for every 15 feet you fall, you can move forward 10 feet in any direction
Elk - You can use the dash action as a bonus action, and out of combat your land speed increases by 15 ft.
Kraken - your reach increases by 5 feet, and can grapple
Wolf - when you perform a melee attack you can add 1d4 to the attack and damage rolls.

Umbral Attunement
At 14th level, you gain a magical benefit based on a umbral spirit of a beast of your choice. You can choose the same animal you selected previously or a different one.

Bear - While in a hybrid form, you can expend a spell slot as bonus action on your turn to mark a creature when you hit it with a melee weapon attack. The mark lasts for one round per level of the spell slot expended. Marked creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you. An enemy is immune to this effect if it can't be frightened.
Eagle - While in a hybrid form, you can expend a spell slot as a bonus action to gain a flying speed equal to your current walking speed for one round per level of the spell slot expended. This benefit works only in short bursts; you fall if you end your turn in the air and nothing else is holding you aloft
Elk - While in a hybrid form, you can expend a spell slot as a bonus action during your move to pass through the space of a Large or smaller creature. That creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and take bludgeoning damage equal to 1d10 per level of the spell slot expended. The DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + either your Wisdom or Strength modifier (your choice)
Kraken - While in hybrid form, you can expend a spell slot during a grapple action. If you grapple the target successfully, it takes bludgeoning damage equal to 1d12 per level of the spell slot expended. While grappling a creature, you can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, the creature is restrained by you until the grapple ends.
Wolf - While in a hybrid form, you can expend a spell slot as bonus action on your turn to knock a Large or smaller creature prone when you hit it with melee weapon attack.