PDA

View Full Version : Could 90s Music suck any more?

Rowanomicon
2007-10-05, 08:53 PM
If you give up, the answer is upside-down at the bottom of this post.

OK, I realise that not every song released in the 90's sucked. Don't jump on my.

Seriously though. My work plays Sirius (Satellite Radio) 9 which plays 90s music. I never realised how much music from the 90s sucked. I mean, it's awful in the extreme.
The best songs they play are Red Hot Chili Peppers and various bad covers of 80s songs. Yes worse version of 80s songs are still better than the majority of the rest of 90s music. Jeez, no wonder rap got popular.

Anyway my venting is done so this is a 90s music discussion thread.

Answer: ou

Sewer_Bandito
2007-10-05, 09:36 PM
Whoaaa....the 90's are my favorite era of music (probably biased because I have so much nostalgia towards the 90's). There was seriously some great stuff going on in this time period if you look a little deeper. Don't let sirius define the 90's for you. I have it too, and hate most of the stuff on there.

The third wave of ska started in the 90's and became mainstream for a little while (Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones) which are still inspiring some great new ska bands today.

There was also the whole post-grunge thing going on and some great lyrics/songs were being written. Third Eye Blind, Tonic, Ninedays, Semisonic etc. (Only a few good songs came from most of these, although I listen to every Third Eye Blind song at least twice a day)

And I don't know how you cn say the 90's music was the worst era with todays music going on :smalleek:

Rowanomicon
2007-10-05, 11:08 PM
Well I'm sure there was some good music in the 90s, but this radio station is seriously annoying. I mean, I'm actually thankful for the days they decide to play the 80s station. Yeah, it's that bad.

Today's music also seriously sucks, or at least a lot of it does.
Of course this station in, I'm sure, almost entirely hits. Over the last couple musics popularity has usually had a direct, and inverse, relationship with its quality.

Sotextli
2007-10-05, 11:29 PM
I think that it's important to keep in mind that the majority of music from any era is crap. The bands that have survived obscurity have done so only because they were above and beyond all of the other drek.

Rowanomicon
2007-10-05, 11:42 PM
True, the majority of music is crap, but in my opinion there was a lot more quality music produced in the 60s or 70s than the 80s or 90s (or the 2000s so far). What I was surprised to find out is that it's now seeming to me that even the 80s produced more good music (in my taste) than the 90s.

Arameus
2007-10-05, 11:47 PM
You only realized this now? I've said it for as long as I could remember, and people got on to me for it. Who's laughing now?

No one, that's who; I feel pretty sad now that Rock 'n' Roll is dead, even though it was the '80's that did most of the work in killing it.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-05, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not much of a 90's guy either. Now, I like RHCP, and Nirvana, and Guns N' Roses, but those are really the only stuff I love from the 90's. 80's was good, 70's was awesome, 60's were awesome.

Hawriel
2007-10-06, 02:50 AM
Guns and Roses was 90s band? Total 80s and like some other rock bands had a run in the early 90s.

I didnt like 90 main stream music. When alternative became a style, and was really main stream. To be polite my I called it rooster rock. Ok the other word for rooster. Todays bands like greenday and what ever els is played on the radio that is called rock & roll. Well the rooster got snipped. Seriosly why cant any one sing like they have pasted puberty?

Oh I forgot to mention. Every album Metalica has made after the black has sucked so bad black is now rather good.

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 03:24 AM
Metal and punk were still pretty strong in the Nineties; pop has never been good so no change there; the real issue is basic rock, which split more than before, and some of that split ended up with good music as an end product and some... didn't.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 04:29 AM
And when you think that kind of music is dead and buried, the Spice Girls decide to reform to try and ressurect it :smallfurious:.

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 04:38 AM
And when you think that kind of music is dead and buried, the Spice Girls decide to reform to try and ressurect it :smallfurious:.

And I'm just waiting for that hellband of furies to become the major music in all the gay bars. Oh god no...

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 04:41 AM
And I'm just waiting for that hellband of furies to become the major music in all the gay bars. Oh god no...

God their music really did does suck. And they are such wash ups now as well.

No I don't want to be your lover because your 35 and fugly :smallmad:.

Orzel
2007-10-06, 04:44 AM
90s rap was pretty good though.

DomaDoma
2007-10-06, 04:47 AM
I like nineties music, but that's pure nostalgia for the End of History. Though at least they didn't have anything as viscerally annoying as, say, "Hey Hey You You I Don't Like Your Girlfriend".

My favorite genre is folk/traditional from the '40s back to the Saxon invasion of England, though, so I'm not really the best judge of popular music by decades.

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 04:49 AM
God their music really did does suck. And they are such wash ups now as well.

No I don't want to be your lover because your 35 and fugly :smallmad:.

I wouldn't have suggested it, since I suspect you are 40 :P

Rap is never and has never been good, so the 90s was like any other time for it.

Winterwind
2007-10-06, 08:56 AM
In the more non-mainstream genres the 90ies weren't so bad... Metal or Celtic, for instance, fared okay.
The mainstream music... well, there were some okay songs, but overall, yeah, could've been better.

I like nineties music, but that's pure nostalgia for the End of History. Though at least they didn't have anything as viscerally annoying as, say, "Hey Hey You You I Don't Like Your Girlfriend".Oh, I so, so very much loathe that song. And the video qualifies as the worst piece of drek I have seen recently. The basic moral of that song is: Beautiful people should get what they want, less good-looking ones are inferior subhumans who don't matter and should get hurt for amusement.
Despicable.

Tirian
2007-10-06, 09:27 AM
True, the majority of music is crap, but in my opinion there was a lot more quality music produced in the 60s or 70s than the 80s or 90s (or the 2000s so far). What I was surprised to find out is that it's now seeming to me that even the 80s produced more good music (in my taste) than the 90s.

I don't think this is true -- I think that every generation is going to turn out the same number of excellent musicians in every genre. What might be true is that it's harder for the great acts nowadays to get airplay because the marketing is around pretty children who can dance and not so much around any Bob Dylans or Janis Joplins who might be playing in some coffeehouse looking for a break. (Not that they don't exist today, and also not that overhyped bands haven't existed forever.)

I don't know -- I got through the nineties okay. I suppose I was listening to TMBG and Barenaked Ladies and Sheryl Crow and Christine Lavin, plus probably a lot of the "classic rock" stations of that era. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Lord of the Helms
2007-10-06, 09:34 AM
In the more non-mainstream genres the 90ies weren't so bad... Metal or Celtic, for instance, fared okay.
The mainstream music... well, there were some okay songs, but overall, yeah, could've been better.

Pretty much correct. I could count dozens upon dozens of my favorite bands who really started or at least continued to shine in the 90s, as well as some excellent bands who were formed or came out during that time. Hell, my second and third favorite studio album as well as my favorite live album were all recorded in the 90s. They're certainly on a par with the 80s for me.

But yes, mainstream music reached new levels of crappiness. Then again that's still going on just as strong now.

Pyro
2007-10-06, 09:40 AM
Yes worse version of 80s songs are still better than the majority of the rest of 90s music.

I refuse to believe that. Almost any music is better than 80s music. Synthesizers make me want to cry on the inside.

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 09:43 AM
I refuse to believe that. Almost any music is better than 80s music. Synthesizers make me want to cry on the inside.

Scuse me, but Queen, Pink Floyd (their few 80s albums) and (most of all) Iron bloody Maiden. Products of the 80s and some of the most awesome music produced in, like, ever.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-06, 09:43 AM
Guns and Roses was 90s band? Total 80s and like some other rock bands had a run in the early 90s.

I didnt like 90 main stream music. When alternative became a style, and was really main stream. To be polite my I called it rooster rock. Ok the other word for rooster. Todays bands like greenday and what ever els is played on the radio that is called rock & roll. Well the rooster got snipped. Seriosly why cant any one sing like they have pasted puberty?

Oh I forgot to mention. Every album Metalica has made after the black has sucked so bad black is now rather good.

I consider the "real" Guns N' Roses to be from Appetite (1987) to when they fired Slash (1996).

Shadow of the Sun
2007-10-06, 09:44 AM
Porcupine Tree.

Agalloch.

Your argument is invalid.

Pyro
2007-10-06, 09:50 AM
Scuse me, but Queen, Pink Floyd (their few 80s albums) and (most of all) Iron bloody Maiden. Products of the 80s and some of the most awesome music produced in, like, ever.

Meh Pink Floyd's last great album was the Wall and that was still in the 70s, granted very close to the 80s, but 70s nonetheless.

I will admit 80s has some good music from choice bands, but overall 80s music bothers me.

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 09:53 AM
Meh Pink Floyd's last great album was the Wall and that was still in the 70s, granted very close to the 80s, but 70s nonetheless.

I will admit 80s has some good music from choice bands, but overall 80s music bothers me.

...Momentary Lapse, sir, is one of the great Floyd albums. 1987.

Pyro
2007-10-06, 09:57 AM
Nonsense!:smalltongue:

I think we have to agree to disagree, because I don't see this conversation going much further than:

"80s music is awesome"
"Nu uh"
"Yeah uh"
"Nu uh"

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 09:59 AM
You are, in all likelihood, correct; can we agree, however, that almost all 90s music (especially pop and mainstream) is awful?

Tengu
2007-10-06, 10:20 AM
Rap is never and has never been good, so the 90s was like any other time for it.

Are you sure you're not me in disguise?

Anyway. Mainstream was crappy in the nineties, but it still is. What's bad about the nineties is that, since it was not so long ago, the bad music is not entirely forgotten yet. Let's wait 10-20 years and barely anyone will remember Spice Girls and other crap.

Om
2007-10-06, 10:46 AM
In the 90s: metal finally did away with big hair and gave rise to grunge, rap exploded with some genuinely classic albums before succumbing to its own success, in the UK there was the tantalising Battle of the Bands between Blur and Oasis as Britpop took off, and it was a veritable golden age for dance and techno.

How can anyone possibly write this decade off as awful?

OzymandiasPBS
2007-10-06, 10:52 AM
In the 90s: metal finally did away with big hair and gave rise to grunge, rap exploded with some genuinely classic albums before succumbing to its own success, in the UK there was the tantalising Battle of the Bands between Blur and Oasis as Britpop took off, and it was a veritable golden age for dance and techno.

Blur and Oasis are not so much music as poor attempts thereat, Britpop is worse, grunge is just boring compared to heavy, rap... I will say no more, and dance and techno? Dance and techno? Gods. The less said the better, there.

Winterwind
2007-10-06, 10:54 AM

How can anyone possibly write this decade off as awful?Anybody who didn't care about these particular music genres could.
As I said - for alternative genres, the 90ies weren't a bad time, quite the contrary in some cases. Note how none of the genres you mentioned is exactly mainstream proper.

Midnight Son
2007-10-06, 11:05 AM
Since we are no longer in the 90s and, therefore, no longer producing 90s music, I'd have to go with, No, 90s music cannot suck more than or be better than it is right now. Well, at least till 2090 anyway

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 11:16 AM
Was everyone's favourite wigger, Vanilla Ice in the 80's or 90's?

Om
2007-10-06, 11:18 AM
Blur and Oasis are not so much music as poor attempts thereat, Britpop is worse, grunge is just boring compared to heavy, rap... I will say no more, and dance and techno? Dance and techno? Gods. The less said the better, there.Oh... I see. Because something doesn't have guitar riffs its crap? Well obviously if you discount every popular genre from the decade then you cannot but arrive at the conclusion that the 90s were a barren period. Its crime is not a dip in musical standards but an absence of retro haircuts.

Indeed I would say that the mid-90s was the last time that music was genuinely original and the idea of progress was valued. While the first half of the decade saw an explosion in innovative and daring music (largely written off by yourself) there was a definite slide towards imitation that was very pronounced by the millennium. A new generation of bands began to ape, in style and content, pioneers from decades past. This is the state of music today as bands make decent music but progress is dead. But what do people like yourself care when it means that the 70s can be relived?

Note how none of the genres you mentioned is exactly mainstream proper.None are mainstream now but each, at some point in the 90s, broke into and established themselves as mainstream currents. There was a constant sense of flux as, in order, rap, grunge, Britpop and dance each went through incredibly creative and successful periods. The problem with today's music is that what is popular now is exactly what was popular thirty years ago. You no longer have those explosions of innovation because everyone is too busy raiding the past for riffs.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-06, 11:18 AM
I quite like the 90's.

Seriously though. My work plays Sirius (Satellite Radio) 9 which plays 90s music. I never realised how much music from the 90s sucked. I mean, it's awful in the extreme.
Mine is bold-italic-underlined. Methinks that's where your problem is.

I started listening to pop-rock radio obsessively in about 2000, and then rock radio a few years later, so there, obviously, was a lot of mid-to-late 90's stuff. I don't listen to radio anymore, but that's because our current radio-played music is terribly beyond reason. What gets on the radio is usually pretty bad... you can measure what was popular in the 90's via radio. Of course you're going to say it's all bad, if you've only heard bad music.

I've found quite a bit of 90's music which, not to my knowledge, ever got radio-play, or at least never a lot of it.

Was Elliott Smith ever played on the radio? Not that I can remember.

Since we are no longer in the 90s and, therefore, no longer producing 90s music, I'd have to go with, No, 90s music cannot suck more than or be better than it is right now. Well, at least till 2090 anyway
The cycle is gonna start over? That would mean we're going to go through the 80's again. OMG. :smalleek:

(Kidding, there is some fun 80's music out there, you just have to find it.)

Winterwind
2007-10-06, 11:27 AM
Good points, Om. The 90ies indeed seemed to have more innovation going on than what we have now.
I got the impression that, don't know whether it's right, that the industrialisation of music got much stronger just recently. While the 90ies saw the advent of artificially created bands, prettyboys and -girls brought together for their faces rather than their musical talents, it never got as blatant as it is now: shows like American Idol showed up only after the 90ies.

Swordguy
2007-10-06, 11:31 AM
All generally released non-sucky music during the 90's. (off the top of my head)

Matchbox 20
Blink 182
Third Eye Blind
Stroke 9 (one-hit wonder - Little Black backpack)
Wallflowers
Fastball (one-hit wonder - The Way)
Green Day (except for Dookie, though, their 90's releases were not their strongest offering)
They Might Be Giants
Rockapella
Chumbawamba (though they started in the 80's, what I consider to be their best offering, Tubthumping, came in the 90's)

That said, you're correct in noting the vast majority sucked. Of course, most music in any era sucks...

Jorkens
2007-10-06, 12:12 PM
In the 90s: metal finally did away with big hair and gave rise to grunge,
And also developed some interesting underground / extreme subgenres: yer grindcore, stoner, japanese weirdness and so on.

rap exploded with some genuinely classic albums before succumbing to its own success,
And even as it was succumbing to it's own success the most, it was also generating the whole alternative / backpacker scene as a backlash which produced another lot of genuinely classic albums. Win/win situation, really.

in the UK there was the tantalising Battle of the Bands between Blur and Oasis as Britpop took off,
Not to mention a lot of more interesting music that got exposure partly as a result of the britpop boom / guitar band revival - Radiohead, Pulp, Mogwai, post-rock generally, Pavement, Mercury Rev. And The Stone Roses and Primal Scream as an earlier generation.

and it was a veritable golden age for dance and techno.
Don't get me started - so much classic detroit stuff! So much classic jungle / drum and bass! IDM when it was good and it wasn't called IDM!

Agreed.

Om
2007-10-06, 12:29 PM
I got the impression that, don't know whether it's right, that the industrialisation of music got much stronger just recently. While the 90ies saw the advent of artificially created bands, prettyboys and -girls brought together for their faces rather than their musical talents, it never got as blatant as it is now: shows like American Idol showed up only after the 90ies.I don't think this "industrialisation" has gotten particularly stronger but its certainly broadened its base. In the 90s, until the last years of the decade at least, such manufactured groups were entirely confined to a single genre - Smash Hits pop. It was impossible to imagine, for example, a manufactured grunge band or DJ. At the same time it is equally hard to imagine just how much more manufactured you could get than those Louis Walsh bands.

Today however the efforts and programmes pioneered with the likes of the Spice Girls or Boyzone have infiltrated every genre. A lot of the young groups that we see today are simply boy bands with guitars. Even "indie" bands come only in a few recognised brands - they're all pop hooks and seventies riffs, stylish hair and skinny jeans - with few, very few, actually making contributions to music. Of the other trends that emerged in the 90s ("indie" merely being the most backward looking), those that have not gone bust have similarly fossilised; witness the decay of rap - a genre that pioneered unparalleled social commentary is stripped of all meaning and reduced to regurgitating the same tired slogans and stereotypes.

Of course the reason for all this is simple - innovation does not necessarily sell. In the same way as Hollywood finds it easier to remake old comics, TV series or movies; so the record companies encourage their bands to emulate the likes of the Beatles or other guaranteed successes from decades past. This can make for some good music but nothing remotely original as each band leeches of each other. I wouldn't go so far as to say that we are living in a bland age (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZ-n4Is684) but certainly the past decade or so has been underwhelming when compared to the excitement of the 90s.

Lord of the Helms
2007-10-06, 01:16 PM

You already answered your own question:

grunge

Even ignoring everything else, that's pretty much justification enough :smalltongue:

If you think 80s synths were bad (and mind, early 80s synths sucked a lot), you are in dire need of hearing some Emerson, Lake and Palmer from the 70s. Holy Dio... what's worst is some newer Prog acts try to imitate that kind of crap, today :smallannoyed:

FdL
2007-10-06, 03:12 PM
Not at all. You just can't write off a decade in music just for what is now played of its mainstream artists in a radio station.

The 90's were an important decade for indie/alternative music because thanks to Nirvana and others, bands who wouldn't have received any airplay at all before got some exposure and it all generally changed the public's notions of what kind of music they could listen to. This of course from the view of the moderately non-informed mainstream music listener. There's always been awesome music away from the mainstream, in any decade, other than the crap corporations force-feeds us.

So no, in no way the 90's sucked. If you really think so, then you're listening to the wrong kind of music.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-06, 03:31 PM
The nineties only seem good in comparison to the eighties.

FdL
2007-10-06, 04:09 PM
Not to mention a lot of more interesting music that got exposure partly as a result of the britpop boom / guitar band revival - Radiohead, Pulp, Mogwai, post-rock generally, Pavement, Mercury Rev. And The Stone Roses and Primal Scream as an earlier generation.

Sure, also interesting music from Wales (Gorkys Zygotic Mynci, Super Furry Animals, Manic Street Preachers), Iceland (Björk, Sigur Ros, Mum), etc.

But the importance of Britpop was mainly its championing of guitar/melody oriented rock songs, apart from shaking the influences bin a bit. I don't think Oasis or Blur were that great, but they sure were better than most stuff that people listened to before. In all, I do think "britpop" as a movement was as overrated and "influence mimicking" as today's "rock cliche-rehashing" bands. Then again I really liked Sleeper back then.

I remember when I learned about Nirvana through a music fan friend from Belgium who announced excitedly that "some punk band" had kicked Michael Jackson off the #1 in the charts. That sums up the 90's for me.

All generally released non-sucky music during the 90's. (off the top of my head)

Matchbox 20
Blink 182
Third Eye Blind
Stroke 9 (one-hit wonder - Little Black backpack)
Wallflowers
Fastball (one-hit wonder - The Way)
Green Day (except for Dookie, though, their 90's releases were not their strongest offering)
They Might Be Giants
Rockapella
Chumbawamba (though they started in the 80's, what I consider to be their best offering, Tubthumping, came in the 90's)

That said, you're correct in noting the vast majority sucked. Of course, most music in any era sucks...

I thought you were being sarcastic, though the inclusion of the undeniably good TMBG makes me think you're not :s

@Tor: Again, I could say the same about the 80's. Even more awesome, influential music in the 80's if you scratch the glittery, big-haired and generally tacky surface. There's LOADS of awesome music recorded in the 80's really.

Sadly, even some truly innovative and original artists succumbed to the aesthetic music producers pushed upon them, resulting in dated recordings. I think in that respect the 90's were more free, in that there was not a single sound or that individual aesthetic freedom is something more common (ie, not everyone has the same clinical drum sound or soulles, shiny production gloss).

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 04:18 PM
If you think 90's music is good then guess again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-is6S_b_g

Frying MCs like pound of bacon :smallamused: .

FdL
2007-10-06, 04:35 PM
If you think Vanilla Ice can define 90's music, think again.

SurlySeraph
2007-10-06, 04:37 PM
There was some good 90s music, but there was a lot of bad 90s music. What makes it all seem so bad is that the Dread Pop Music of Annoyance was so prevalent. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, and their accursed ilk. Nsync, The Backstreet Boys, all other boy bands. Many, many bad rappers who managed to become popular by acting tough despite having no actual singing talent.

If you can purge those things from your mind, there was plenty of good music. Not that I'm old enough to remember much of it...

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 04:40 PM
If you think Vanilla Ice can define 90's music, think again.

Word to your mother :smallwink:.

FdL
2007-10-06, 04:44 PM
Word to your mother :smallwink:.

Same to yours.

Om
2007-10-06, 04:55 PM
If you think 90's music is good then guess again.How lucky it is that we live in enlightened times (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lX3S1f_7dI4) :roll:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 05:02 PM
How lucky it is that we live in enlightened times (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lX3S1f_7dI4) :roll:

Nice try but the titles loaded before the video so I didn't have to watch. In the words of Roy

:roy: If I can't see it, it can't kill my brain

Mephisto
2007-10-06, 06:33 PM
If you give up, the answer is upside-down at the bottom of this post.

OK, I realise that not every song released in the 90's sucked. Don't jump on my.

The best songs they play are Red Hot Chili Peppers and various bad covers of 80s songs. Yes worse version of 80s songs are still better than the majority of the rest of 90s music. Jeez, no wonder rap got popular.

Anyway my venting is done so this is a 90s music discussion thread.

Answer: ou

I'd disagree, since I think that RHCP are absolute crap and that early-90's rap (Enter the 36 Chambers, Illmatic) is much better than its bastard offspring of today.

But much of the pop music of the 90's and today is garbage.

2007-10-06, 09:04 PM
Seems to me like arguing about what music sucked and what music didn't suck is sort of like arguing about wether or not green is better than orange.

'Course, I never saw the appeal of music other than base entertainment.

Rowanomicon
2007-10-06, 09:14 PM
OK, 90s rap was better than rap today. Like that's hard. I've had farts that were more musical than todays rap. That's not a joke either.

A lot of 80s music sucked, I'm not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that the 80s get a lot of flack considering that 90s music is, for the most part, just as bad and, in many cases, worse.
Also the 80s put out a fair bit of genuinely good music and even much of the not-so-quality music (not the truly horrid stuff) is at least listenable.

I'm not going to bother with each individual band people mention suffice to say that many of them are crap and the rest I haven't heard of (or never knew the names of the "artists" of their terrible songs).

Nirvana wasn't bad. I don't mind them and they sure as heck are way better than almost everyone else from the 90s.

Ooh Techno and Dance! Yeah, maybe rap's not actually that bad...

To the person that said Rock is dead I have 10 words: Hey, hey, my, my Rock and Roll will never die.

Yeah, they played What is Love today. It was funny, but still painful.
On the upside they played Crying by Aerosmith, not their best song by any means, but much better than anything else they played today.
Also they played a terribly cover of American Woman. At least it reminded me of good music.

Om
2007-10-07, 05:41 AM
To the person that said Rock is dead I have 10 words: Hey, hey, my, my Rock and Roll will never die.Incidentially the 90s marked Young's return to form following the barren years of the 80s. Funny that. But then you can dismiss that alongside all the other paths that rock took during the decade. You think today's music would look anything like it does without pioneers such as the Stone Roses, Tori Amos, REM, the Goo Goo Dolls, Manic Street Preachers, Smashing Pumpkins, Pulp, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead... to name just a few prominent groups that drove alternative rock forward?

"...." is of course correct in that arguing about music is of course subjective but then few people in this thread have attempted to discuss relative merits. Rather the prevailing logic seems to chug along the following lines:

"Genre X" was popular in the 90s
I dislike "Genre X"
Ergo the 90s were crap

When pushed these posters might concede that, yes - rap was better in the 90s and dance was better in the 90s. But they didn't have guitars and so, automatically, sucked. It is after all much better to have hundreds of indie bands that sound identical than actually pay attention to a different genre going through an incredible creative burst.

To Rowanomicon I have one simple question: What age are you?

Darken Rahl
2007-10-07, 08:13 AM
I humbly subit:

Nine Inch Nails

Stone Temple Pilots

as two reasons why the 90s deserve a pardon.

Hawriel
2007-10-07, 09:34 PM
but can nine in nails write a song that isnt about S&M?

ForzaFiori
2007-10-07, 09:48 PM
RHCP
Nirvana
NIN
SOME Green Day.
and a select few Good Charlotte and Blink 182 songs

are all that keeps the 90's from slipping into the realm of truely horrible music

plus the fact that some of the good bands of the 80's released a couple albums in the 90's also helps.

but for the most part, the 90's sucked horribly.

Cade
2007-10-07, 10:28 PM
But... but... Radiohead debuted in the 90's! Just because they've gotten better doesn't make the decade they began with terrible! Pablo Honey and the Bends are perhaps the two greatest rock albums of all time, even if you ignore my bias for them. Even then.

horseboy
2007-10-08, 01:07 AM
I would like to point out a few "back in the days":
Johnny Cash toured with Elvis.
Jimmi Hendrix opened for The Monkees (and was booed off stage)
The problem with 90's music was that was when music got sorted and pigeoned holed. If you didn't like Nirvana or square dancing with Tourette's, aka rap (like myself) you were royally boned in the 90's. That was what the corporation wanted you to here, you heard it. There was no more "shotgun" approach to entertainment. You had to be in certain geographic locations to gain exposure to what you wanted to hear. I have hope, given how much the internet can help make more types of music available to more people.

Lord of the Helms
2007-10-08, 08:08 AM
I have hope, given how much the internet can help make more types of music available to more people.

Seeing how nowadays I can listen to an obscure death metal band from Botswana for all I want, the internet has made scene locality more or less irrelevant by now :smallwink:

Darken Rahl
2007-10-08, 08:26 AM
but can nine in nails write a song that isnt about S&M?

Come back when you have a clue what you're talking about, k?

TMTree
2007-10-08, 12:58 PM
Here are some albums which I think are great from the 90s off the top of my head:

Daft Punk: Homework
Carl Craig: More Songs about Food and Revolutionary Art, Progrmmed (as Innerzone Orchestra)
Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream
Radiohead: The Bends, OK Computer
Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works 1 and 2, I Care Because You Do, Richard D. James Album
Autechre: Tri Repetae, LP5
Black Dog: Bytes, Spanners
Plastikman:
Nas: Illmatic
Outkast: ATLiens, Aquemini
The Flaming Lips: Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
Mogwai: Young Team
Pavement: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Moodymann: Silentintroduction
Sigur Ros: Aegaetis Byrjun (?)
Blur: 13
Plastikman: Musik
Company Flow: Funcrusher Plus
Nirvane: In Utero
Pearl Jam: Ten
Massive Attack: Blue Lines

and so on...

Now, while I admit that a large number of these albums are not rock, which you seem to prefer, you can see that there are a lot of great albums in there.

I'm sure there are loads more I haven't thought of or which I simply haven't heard of yet (I wasn't really properly listening to music until late in the decade), and I deliberately left off the various great albums made by artists who had been around during previous decades (e.g. Depeche Mode, Neil Young).

So basically I think that you're doing 90s music an injustice by stressing the rubbish that was coming out at the same time. Still, I don't envy you having to listen to that 90s pop station :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I just saw Jorkens' post- must have missed it when I sacnned the thread the 1st time- but I coul have just said "I agree with Jorkens", as he summed up my feelings perfectly.:smallcool:

Rowanomicon
2007-10-09, 12:37 AM
I don't really think my (or anyone's) age should be the discussion of this thread as that leaves it open to comments like "Oh, well that's just the taste of a middle-aged/teenaged/senior/child."
if you really want to know how old I am I can PM you...

Yes, I do prefer Rock, but I'm not dead set in the genre. I also like a lot of metal, blues, jazz, some rap, and other stuff.

They played Free Falling today. That's probably the best song they've played on that station. Then again they also played Can't Touch This so they lost all right to take themselves seriously.

OK, music is about taste. Some people may like music that I consider crap. Often times I can see why they are drawn to it and most of the time I feel sorry for them. OK, seriously, if you like it that's your thing; whatever floats your boat, but I still reserve the right to think it's crap.

"OMG ur so dum u only liek teh guitar!"
(Sorry, I know that's not what anyone in this thread said exactly, but I'm just so tired of this line.)

A lot of people have made crappy music with guitars. Some people have made really good music without guitar. There is a certain amount of taste involved here.
I wont lie; I like the sound of a guitar being played well. That doesn't mean that I decide which music I like based solely upon what instruments are being played.

I agree with horseboy that the corporate aspect to music has decreased the general quality of, at the very least, music that gets famous.

OM, I have one simple question for you: what's your favourite genre of music?

Semidi
2007-10-09, 01:26 AM
I liked:
Nine Inch Nails(Both their non-S&M songs and their S&M songs), Alice in Chains, Marilyn Manson (first two albums), Candle Box, Rage Against the Machine, Rammstein, and Stone Temple Pilots. And that's just the stuff you could hear on the radio. I like all kinds of other stuff from the 90s that MTV never got their filthy paws on…

What I disliked about the 90s:

Alternative music paradoxically became main-stream. Shortly after it turned to crap… Oh that and rap, I can respect some 80s rap, but the 90s stuff just kills brain cells.

MostlyHarmless
2007-10-18, 01:26 PM
The 90s is basically when I found new respect for certain 80s music and got into many indie bands my fiancee liked. I haven't read every post but I haven't seen Barenaked Ladies mentioned. The 90s were pretty good to them. Otherwise, the 90s do seem like a blur to me and I can't name nearly as many 'great' songs as I can from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Seems like it was the decade of the reunions of 70s bands.

Pop, is just that, popular. It flashes in the pan because it's catchy but eventually unmemorable. Since the dawn of rock, there have been one hit wonders. Yeah, many of us are familiar with some classic hits from the 60s, but if you took a walk down the Billboard Charts from any year in the 60s, would you remember all those songs? (Ok, the answer is, quite possibly. I just looked at the top 50 songs of 1965 and was amazed that I knew over 80% of them. Dang that was a good decade.) Definitely there were more songs from 1965 that I would want on my mp3 player than from 1995. 90s sucked, case closed.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-10-18, 05:58 PM
From what I can gather, a large number of people here actually hate '90s mainstream music primarily because they have elected to despise the entirety of nearly every genre of music. This would generally cut down your appreciation of nearly every decade, especially the ones in which you have lived; many people find that "70s music was better" now because they may pick and choose what of that music they listen to, more. There are a large number of bands in any era, and many who cherish the '70s rock scene neglect the very large amount of terrible music created during that decade. I mean, for those lambasting dance and techno, how do you defend the large record sales of disco during the '70s as any better? If you choose to only listen to music in the genres you like from Decade A, but grew up in Decade B, thereby hearing by chance on the airwaves music of all its genres, you will prefer Decade A because of your artifically narrowed sample size.

I happen to like a lot of music made in the '90s. I don't know in relevance to other decades, as I do not, (in contrast, evidently, to many), make elaborate charts of what percentage of a decade's music I like based on Network Theory. Much of what became the indie scene, notably, exploded, as did the Finnish popular music scene along with the Scandanavian scene in general.

Was Black Metal a '90s creation, though? If so, that was pretty unfortunate, if taken seriously. Ah, Mayhem, such ridiculousness as yours I have never known.

sealemon
2007-10-18, 08:39 PM
Any decade of music is mostly crap, with the really good music standing the test fo time. IMO, people remember former decades of music as being better because the dross suck out of memory a long time ago.

With that said, dismissing an entire decade of music based on a sample of Sirius music? That's...wow.

Also, for all the rap haters out there, I'd question how much rap you've ACTUALLY listened too...there's more than one genre of rap...it's not all the mainstream gangsta sound. But I suppose that's too much work to find out.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-10-18, 09:30 PM
I think the same is true for haters of any entire genre. There are few genres, if any, without anything good to offer. In my opinion, anyway. Maybe I just have very low standards. My friends have mentioned it, but they weren't talking about music. . .

Brickwall
2007-10-18, 09:37 PM
They Might Be Giants and Weird Al did a lot of good work in the 90's.

'nuff said. :smallamused:

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-10-19, 09:01 AM
To be perfectly honest, I love 90's music. I get excited when my mixed station plays Counting Crows, REM, the Goo Goo Dolls, Less than Jake, and Smashing Pumpkins (among others that I'd go "Oh, yeah, I forgot about them, but, man, they were good!" upon hearing).
As others have said, there's always some suckage in any decade of music, its just that you only remember the best songs.
In thirty years, I'll bet people will look back on the 90's and think its amazing, and wonder why their modern music doesn't hold the nature that the 90's did, the same way we look back on the 70's.

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking of someone who looks on the 90's nostalgically.

Lycurgus
2007-10-19, 09:10 AM
Pfft! Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss, October 1990. Thereby making all anti-90s music arguments null and void! Begone with your NonSense!

Erloas
2007-10-19, 10:32 AM
I agree that the 90s sucked for music, so far I'm not too impressed with 2000 either.

When I was a teenager in the 90s I never listened to music, I thought it all sucked and there was no good music at all. Once I discovered the 60s and 70s I realised that it wasn't all music, just the stuff that was being made then.

Of course there are exceptions and some good music came out of the 90s (though I would disagree with most of the suggestions posted here) but there wasn't a lot of it. Even if you consider just picking out the good music from the 90s, distilling all the bad out over time like what generally happened in the 60s and 70s (and a lesser extent in the 80s) I think you would find a lot less music worth listening to. Not even counting what percentage of the total music produced, but the simple number of great albums/songs it would be a lot less then other decades.
20 years from now I bet there will be more people still listening to more music from the 60s and 70s then from the 90s and '00s

Lord of the Helms
2007-10-19, 03:42 PM
Pfft! Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss, October 1990. Thereby making all anti-90s music arguments null and void! Begone with your NonSense!

How does another mediocre and irrelevant Slayer album render 90s music arguments null and void? :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Piece of Time, Coma of Souls, Rust in Peace, Dances of Death (and other walking Shadows) or Spiritual Healing, on the other hand :smallcool:

Winterwind
2007-10-19, 04:08 PM
so far I'm not too impressed with 2000 either.The 00'ies should better bring something truly incredible before 2010 - to make up for Avril Lavigne. :smallbiggrin:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-10-19, 04:29 PM
All things considered, Avril Lavigne gets fall overrated when it comes to derision. I mean, pretending to be punk at a time the movement was not even popular and when literally no-one was fooled is rather silly, but beyond that she doesn't have a grating voice or truly terrible instrumentation and plays slightly-less-soulless-than-is-usual teen pop. These three traits, or even if you only believe only two are true, puts he well above a large portion of music. She's one of those people who will simply be forgotten as something of a folly in future decades, not some sort of smudge on the decade's record.

Lord of the Helms
2007-10-19, 05:04 PM
The 00'ies should better bring something truly incredible before 2010

They have
(http://www.last.fm/music/Pharaoh/_/By+the+Night+Sky) :smallcool:

North
2007-10-19, 05:16 PM
I submit the awesomeness of Vanilla Ice and the Ninja Turtles.

O! It’s the green machine -- Gonna rock the town without bein’ seen
Have you ever seen a turtle Get Down? -- Slammin’ Jammin’ to the new swing sound
Yeah, everybody let’s move -- Vanilla is here with the new Jack Groove
Gonna rock, and roll this place -- With the power of the ninja turtle bass
Iceman, ya know I’m not playin’ -- Devistate the show while the turtles are sayin:

Ninja, Ninja, RAP! Ninja, Ninja, RAP!
GO GO GO
Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja. GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!
GO GO GO GO

Winterwind
2007-10-19, 05:40 PM
All things considered, Avril Lavigne gets fall overrated when it comes to derision. I mean, pretending to be punk at a time the movement was not even popular and when literally no-one was fooled is rather silly, but beyond that she doesn't have a grating voice or truly terrible instrumentation and plays slightly-less-soulless-than-is-usual teen pop. These three traits, or even if you only believe only two are true, puts he well above a large portion of music. She's one of those people who will simply be forgotten as something of a folly in future decades, not some sort of smudge on the decade's record.Actually, she gained my sincerest loathing by the content and, especially, video of that "I don't like your girlfriend" song.
Great message you got there, Miss Lavigne. Great message indeed. :smallannoyed:

They have
(http://www.last.fm/music/Pharaoh/_/By+the+Night+Sky) :smallcool:That's a good beginning, at any rate. :smallbiggrin:
And, thank you. I had not heard this before, and it is awesome indeed.

Lord of the Helms
2007-10-19, 06:10 PM
That's a good beginning, at any rate. :smallbiggrin:
And, thank you. I had not heard this before, and it is awesome indeed.

... I take it no one reads my signature :smallfrown:

Still, great to have another convert :smallbiggrin: . Pharaoh has quickly become one of my favorite bands, and probably my favorite band currently around. They manage to embody everything power metal should be so damn perfectly :smallsmile:

Vaynor
2007-10-19, 06:44 PM
The 90s most definitely do not suck. Lots of my favorite music was around in the 90s. A list of generally good bands that I enjoy listening to from the 90s:

Beck
Five Iron Frenzy
Some of Flaming Lips
Mad Caddies
Mother Hips
Radiohead
Reel Big Fish
Spoon
Wilco
!!!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-10-19, 07:29 PM
Actually, she gained my sincerest loathing by the content and, especially, video of that "I don't like your girlfriend" song.
Great message you got there, Miss Lavigne. Great message indeed. :smallannoyed:

I still hardly find it worth loathing, especially considering you're taking by far the worst (and that's still relatively harmless), most serious meaning you could have out of the video. The song, itself, really, has very little content; it's a silly yob chant about wanting a guy with a girlfriend. The video's just a continued collection of slapstick humor you have decided to view as some moral statement about torturing the physically unattractive (from watching the video just right now, and not having seen it before, so this is hardly an in-depth study, my take was that the girlfriend wasn't supposed to be ugly, she was supposed to look "square" or "preppy" or what-have-you). Anyway, I find saying the video has a serious "message" akin to saying the Three Stooges were anti-semitic because a Jewish guy got hurt all the time for peoples' amusement.

Rowanomicon
2007-10-19, 07:34 PM
Well, on the up side they haven't played that station at work for a while. it's been all the 80s station.
Granted this is not the greatest music ever, the vast majority of it doesn't kill my brain as fast and some songs they play are actually...*gasp*...good.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-10-19, 08:41 PM
Mainstream 90'd music was bad.

But look at Silverchair, Kyuss, Morphine...

Rowanomicon
2007-10-19, 11:52 PM
OK, Morphine is really awesome. I mean, not one of my favourites, but still good music. In fact they might be the best "hey this 90s band was good" mentioned so far (I'm to lazy to check all the bands mentioned in this thread).

Interestingly enough: one of the 80s station's tag lines is "Not nearly as mind numbing." It's actually quite true (at east when compared to the 90s station).

For the record I'm sure you could set up a radio station playing music only form the 90s, not kill my brain (very much), and still have a decent selection. In fact I'm sure I'd even enjoy a lot of it. The people at Sirius 9 have terrible taste in music though (and the 90s aren't exactly the best selection of music to begin with anyway).

Winterwind
2007-10-20, 05:13 AM
I still hardly find it worth loathing, especially considering you're taking by far the worst (and that's still relatively harmless), most serious meaning you could have out of the video. The song, itself, really, has very little content; it's a silly yob chant about wanting a guy with a girlfriend. The video's just a continued collection of slapstick humor you have decided to view as some moral statement about torturing the physically unattractive (from watching the video just right now, and not having seen it before, so this is hardly an in-depth study, my take was that the girlfriend wasn't supposed to be ugly, she was supposed to look "square" or "preppy" or what-have-you). Anyway, I find saying the video has a serious "message" akin to saying the Three Stooges were anti-semitic because a Jewish guy got hurt all the time for peoples' amusement.I don't really want to argue about such a trite matter. But to me, that video is the very incarnation of the so very far spread thought that the "cool kids" are allowed to do anything, whereas nerdier people are subhumans who should be bullied and abused. I guess that was not the writer's intent, sure, but that's the basic philosophy that manifests itself in that song.

LCR
2007-10-20, 07:34 AM
How can you say the music in the nineties sucked?
Oasis.
Blur.
Jarvis Cocker.
Radiohead.

Gygaxphobia
2007-10-20, 08:37 AM
Generally I agree, but there are the exceptions. The general level of entertainment from 90'2 music was pretty low.

A couple more that I've not seen mentioned yet:
Prodigy
PWEI
Therapy

Lycurgus
2007-10-21, 05:59 PM
How does another mediocre and irrelevant Slayer album render 90s music arguments null and void? :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Piece of Time, Coma of Souls, Rust in Peace, Dances of Death (and other walking Shadows) or Spiritual Healing, on the other hand :smallcool:

Quite possibly because that album is listed amongst the most influential album for modern metal bands? But of course I suppose non of their opinions hold any weight either.

Indon
2007-10-22, 11:15 AM
I don't really know my band timelines, but I think The Clash did stuff during that time period, as well?

Rowanomicon
2007-10-22, 08:18 PM
I don't know if they did, but I do know that they were much more prominent in the 80s and I, personally, liked their earlier stuff much better.

commander43
2007-10-26, 02:05 AM
Rancid's "Life Won't Wait" is my favorite album....ever, pretty much, so I can't really agree.

Plus, excellent Reel Big Fish releases, Nirvana(just the unplugged, really), 2 good records from Bad Religion, Pennywise....the list goes on. Just keep away from pop rap and post grunge, you'll catch an infection.

The Clash didn't do anything in the 90s....they broke up in I'd say 85 or something.

Joe Strummer, their frontman, released his first album with the Mescaleros, but his next two blew that out of the water, because they kind of rank among the best albums of all time.

The J Pizzel
2007-10-26, 08:22 AM
Counting Crows
LIve
Bush
Dave Mathews Band
Tonic
Matchbox 20
Fuel
Pearl Jam
Wallflowers
Third Eye Blind
Spin Doctors
Semisonic
Everclear
RHCP
Oasis
Ryan Adams

The fact that these bands exist are proof that the 90's did indeed not suck. I refuse to believe that the 90's weren't good as long as I have these CD's.

Alyorbase
2007-10-26, 08:39 AM
90s music wasn't all bad:

Nirvana
NIN
The Offspring
Daft Punk
Green Day

the list could go on, but I'm at work and don't have much time to list them, but those are some of my favorites.

Telonius
2007-10-26, 10:02 AM
The problem with the 90s is that there was generally a sharp dropoff in quality about midway through. But otherwise, we have:

Besides the ones already mentioned, Tears for Fears (not everybody's cup of tea, I know; but musically terrific) released Elemental, as well as Raoul and the Kings of Spain, in the 90s.

BobWilliams
2021-07-15, 08:05 PM
It was a bad decade, like most here have said already

The Glyphstone
2021-07-15, 08:48 PM
Great Modthulhu: This thead was also last posted in two decades ago.