PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lantern Archon (chainlock familiar?)

Greywander
2019-06-03, 05:50 AM
So I should have gone to bed a few hours ago, so this may not be completely coherent. I thought I'd post this anyway so I could get some feedback before revising it.

There's a distinct lack of celestial familiars for a chainlock, which seems like a particularly glaring omission ever since Xanathar's introduced the Celestial patron. I saw someone mention lantern archons as a potential celestial familiar, and thought I'd try to homebrew one up. Disclaimer: I don't really know much about lantern archons aside from a few wiki entries and a (I think?) 3.5 or PF statblock. Here's my initial attempt at it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vp1Sk04-rXQ0h7_fMmh26ZcEbGBj50hzpMFoToAtRrI/edit?usp=sharing

I did borrow a bit from this thread (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?475517-Lantern-Archon-and-Coure-for-5e), where someone else attempted to do the same thing, but mostly I drew from the 3.5 (?) stat block and wiki page. There's also a bit of will-o'-wisp in there, since they're both floaty balls of light. Not quite happy with it yet, but not sure what more it needs. The Aura of Menace, maybe.

Great Dragon
2019-06-03, 08:34 AM
@Greywander
IiRC, the Familiars available for Chainlocks by the Find Familiar spell only look like those Creatures.

The main things about them is that they are smarter than normal Familiars, and can turn Invisible.

But, seeking a Real One out, and getting them to agree to become a Familiar does allow full access to all the abilities of that Creature.
Now, about the Lantern Archon:
First, it's too big, being Small sized.

Next, I'm not sure what CR it would be in 5e.

All the Familiars are Tiny size and CR 1 or less.

Now, I don't see a problem with allowing a Tiny floating ball of light, that can either cast the Sacred Flame Cantrip, or shoot a 30' Ray that does 1d6 Radiant damage as an Action, when commanded by the "master".

While it can use the Help Action, it cannot carry anything.

But - for Teleport and Aura of Menace, the Real Deal is needed.

Segev
2019-06-03, 08:49 AM
"Aura of Menace: The Lantern Archon is proficient in Intimidate. If bonded as a familiar, it may use its master's proficiency bonus in place of its own."

"Misty Escape: The Lantern Archon may use misty escape at will as a 2nd level spell. When it does, it dissolves into motes of light that streak towards the new location and reform."

JNAProductions
2019-06-03, 11:07 AM
Teleport is far too good. The ability to just pop anywhere on the plane with 50 lbs of crap is ridiculous. Even without living creatures, you can send messages at-will, coordinate tactics, steal loot...

And once you get a bag of holding, just squeeze inside one, have the archon port, and crawl out. Hold your breath for the short trip.

Segev
2019-06-03, 11:52 AM
Teleport is far too good. The ability to just pop anywhere on the plane with 50 lbs of crap is ridiculous. Even without living creatures, you can send messages at-will, coordinate tactics, steal loot...

And once you get a bag of holding, just squeeze inside one, have the archon port, and crawl out. Hold your breath for the short trip.

Yeah, that's why I suggested nerfing it down to misty escape (or whatever the 2nd level spell is) at will.

JNAProductions
2019-06-03, 11:55 AM
Yeah, that's why I suggested nerfing it down to misty escape (or whatever the 2nd level spell is) at will.

Misty Step is the name.

And yeah, not a bad idea.

Great Dragon
2019-06-03, 03:02 PM
@Segev
I also agree.

@JNAProductions: Agreement
That Really stops "I use Voice of the Chain Master to direct my Lantern Archon into the Dragon's Horde, locate the most valuable items that are close together and look light enough, and have it Teleport out with them." While thousands of miles away! Plus, even if the Dragon catches the Familiar in the act, can't trace back to "master".

Misty Step stops (most of) that, cold!