PDA

View Full Version : Best Magic Item Compendium Items for the Price and Utility

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-06, 08:28 AM
Only skimmed it a few times but some of my favorites include:

Healing Belt 750 GP

Scout's Head Band for 3,400 GP (See Invisible and True Seeing)

Belt of Battle 6,000 GP extra actions

Magic Bedroll 500 GP

Tome of Ancient Lore 5,500 GP

Wink Brooch 600 GP

Spellsight Spectacles 1,250 GP

Survival Pouch 3,300 GP

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting 2,500 GP

Summoner's Totem 3,100 GP (Basically low level "Freebie Quicken" for target spells you cast on your SNAs)

Sending Stones 1,400 GP

Tome of Worldly Memory 1,500 GP

Flavor Items:

Everfull Mug 200 GP (This has always been one of my favorite low level magic items)

Everlasting Rations 350 GP

Troll Gut Rope 500 GP

skywalker
2007-10-06, 11:12 AM
Are you asking for suggestions to improve your list? Or is this just your list?

If you're asking for suggestions, then I have:

Blessed Bandage 10gp. Stabilize damn you, stabilize!

and the Iron Ward Diamonds. DR/- is NICE.

If you weren't looking for suggestions, good list. Some stuff I hadn't seen before.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-10-06, 12:07 PM
Arcanist's Gloves

Extra Magic Missle/Damage Die twice a day for only 500 gp.

Armads
2007-10-07, 02:49 AM
Millennial Chainmail. Fast Healing 3 for a feat is really nice, especially from an item that costs 8k and is a chainshirt with a +8 max dex.

Mithralmist shirt. 3.4k for obscuring mist 7/day and a mithral chainshirt.

Dawnstar. Broken. 200 damage in a 10ft radius, 100 damage in a 30ft radius with a reflex DC 24 half is overpowered for an item that only costs 9k. You can also use it as a +5 equivalent weapon for 9k (and a feat).

Living Chain. If you can give it the sweeping enhancement, even better.

Lesser crystal of Energy Assault. Like flaming/corrosive/shock/frost, but better

Holy/Brutal Surge.

Amber Amulet of Vermin. 700 gp to summon a huge scorpion 1/day. Broken.

Circlet of Wild Surging.

Macrovore
2007-10-07, 07:37 AM
Vest of the Archmagi. 'nuff said

Keld Denar
2007-10-07, 11:08 AM
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting.....It's ghost touch for your weapons AND your spells! Somewhere around 5k too, I believe. Meh for a warrior, golden for a wizard.

Truedeath Crystals (Lesser and Greater) Best conditional weapon upgrade....cause when you need to hit incorporial, you NEED to hit incorporial.

Gauntlets of Fortunate Striking at about 2k, because sometimes, you really need to NOT roll that nat 1. Also, no atunement period, so you could technically buy 4-5 pairs and change them every encounter.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-08, 11:31 PM
Thanks I was looking for more suggestions. Appreciate the extra eyes and taking the time to share your knowledge psoting. Lots of useful things I missed.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-08, 11:35 PM
Along with the 'Truedeath Crystals (Lesser and Greater)' I also submit the Demolition Crystals; greater that is. 10,000 GP for an item that overcomes DR, a d6 of damage, and ability to Crit constructs? Sign me up!

Also the Greater Crystal of Adaptation is definetly one for the planar travelers.

Karsh
2007-10-08, 11:37 PM
Vest of the Archmagi. 'nuff said

QFT

Most broken non-epic item since the Retributive Starmantle Cloak (yes, I know that combines two items, it's that cheesy).

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-08, 11:41 PM
Ugh. Let's turn it into WoW.

Armads
2007-10-08, 11:43 PM
QFT

Most broken non-epic item since the Retributive Starmantle Cloak (yes, I know that combines two items, it's that cheesy).

What's so good about the Vest of the Archmagi?

More Stuff
Bands of Blood Rage (Set item): 2.6k, +5 to damage and str checks 3/day for 5 rounds. Really neat.

Suzaku
2007-10-08, 11:45 PM
seeing as I'm TDY I remember seeing artificer monocles that allows you to replace identify by using detect magic.

There is also gloves that allow wear a weapon one size category higher then normal.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-08, 11:59 PM
The Pearl of Speech at 600 GP is nice when the PCs are going to another locale with a different language and no one can speake the lingo.

Torc of the Titan is nice for a single round strength check bump usable 3, day at 3,300 GP.

Rings of Communication at 2,000 GP are nice for party coordination directing combat or splitting up to search for something (information, item or person).

The Ring of Darkvision is really nice at 2,000 GP for a party "scout" in a dungeon setting since it makes them invisible to darkvision.

Cruiser1
2007-10-09, 12:48 AM
Here are some good items for casters that haven't been mentioned yet (many good for non-casters too):

Armband of Elusive Action (0.8K): Ignore an attack of opportunity. Tough monster next to you? Laugh in its face as you cast anyway.

Headband of Conscious Effort (1K): Replace Fortitude save with a Concentration check. Guaranteed success for most Wizards.

Amulet of Fortune Prevailing (2.5K): Reroll a saving throw. Don't let that Natural 1 get you down.

Circlet of Mages (2.5K): Like Pearls of Power 1-3 combined into one inexpensive item.

Boots of Big Stepping (6K): Greater Teleportation up to 60 feet. Unlike the other foot slot items that transport you, this one doesn't require LOS.

Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (10K): Spontaneously cast Summon Monster spells like how a Druid can spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally!

Mantle of Second Chances (12K): Like casting Alter Fortune without the XP cost. Reroll any roll in the game. Negate the effect of rolling a 1 on a save, or use your imagination.

Greyen
2007-10-09, 05:15 AM
Ghost Shroud - +1 Ac shirt slot, and hit incorp for 5K...good for me.

Iku Rex
2007-10-09, 06:24 AM
MIC "review" by Ninjadebugger: http://ninjadebugger.livejournal.com/111021.html ."This review is going to have to be a tad different. I'm going to pick out the biggest winners from the book that I happen to see, and not worry about most of the rest, except for the totally new item types."

Maybe I'll be back later with some of my own favorites.

Keld Denar
2007-10-09, 07:00 AM
Anklet of Translocation is another. 2k each, no atuneing period (buy at least 3-4). 10 ft teleport as a swift action 2x/day. Huge for non-tumbling fighters who just want to get that full attack in.

It really breaks with scouts though, since a 10 ft teleport gives you scirmish, then full attack rapid shot poors on the hurt.

leperkhaun
2007-10-09, 07:26 AM
the weapon and armor crystals are really nice. For the most part you dont need the top quality one and most can be gotten for a couple hundred.

Kioran
2007-10-09, 07:33 AM
I´ve got the unerring urge to punch Mike Mearls, but whatever. From what I´ve seen, the MIC is chock full of seriously underpriced Items. That review contains some of the real winners.......I´d read it.

jameswilliamogle
2007-10-09, 08:11 AM
More love for the Healing Belt: 6d8 healing daily, or up to 4d8 in a burst. 1k gp (errata'd to 1k; listed as 750 gp in book). Absolutely awesome for low-level cleric relief. Positive energy touch attack (standard action): use it on a fallen comrade, or yourself, or damage undead.

Combine it w/ Sneak Attack: the Sage recently said that sneak attack damage is of the same type as the cause of the damage, so your 3rd level Rogue can heal 2d8+2d6 damage 3 times per day (remember, you can make yourself flatfooted anytime you want).

edit: didn't see this already in the first post, sry.

Douglas
2007-10-09, 09:02 AM
Combine it w/ Sneak Attack: the Sage recently said that sneak attack damage is of the same type as the cause of the damage, so your 3rd level Rogue can heal 2d8+2d6 damage 3 times per day (remember, you can make yourself flatfooted anytime you want).
Where's that Morbo picture when you need it? "SNEAK ATTACK DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY". In any situation where you might possibly get sneak attack with a healing belt, the sneak attack bonus would be positive energy damage, NOT additional healing, and you would end up healing 2d8 and damaging 2d6 at the same time, with an average result of healing a mere 2 points of damage. This has been done to death with discussions involving sneak attack and cure spells, and the exact same reasoning that concluded it doesn't work with cures unless you're using them on undead where it's all damage anyway (you also need some way to sneak attack undead for this to work) also applies to the healing belt.

jameswilliamogle
2007-10-09, 09:07 AM
Where's that Morbo picture when you need it? "SNEAK ATTACK DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY". In any situation where you might possibly get sneak attack with a healing belt, the sneak attack bonus would be positive energy damage, NOT additional healing, and you would end up healing 2d8 and damaging 2d6 at the same time, with an average result of healing a mere 2 points of damage. This has been done to death with discussions involving sneak attack and cure spells, and the exact same reasoning that concluded it doesn't work with cures unless you're using them on undead where it's all damage anyway (you also need some way to sneak attack undead for this to work) also applies to the healing belt.well, damn.

Iku Rex
2007-10-09, 09:10 AM
More love for the Healing Belt: 6d8 healing daily, or up to 4d8 in a burst. 1k gp (errata'd to 1k; listed as 750 gp in book). Absolutely awesome for low-level cleric relief. Positive energy touch attack (standard action): use it on a fallen comrade, or yourself, or damage undead.WotC hasn't published free errata for years. Why waste some intern's time when they already have your money? So, no errata for the healing belt.

jameswilliamogle
2007-10-09, 09:11 AM
WotC hasn't published free errata for years. Why waste some intern's time when they already have your money? So, no errata for the healing belt.You may be right... I was going by what my DM said. Still, the craft cost / item cost doesn't match, so one of them has to be wrong.

Kel_Arath
2007-10-09, 11:04 AM
Psh, n00bs. Survival Pouch is where its at. Also, Hammerspheres.

Karsh
2007-10-09, 12:19 PM
What's so good about the Vest of the Archmagi?

It is a combination of... Bracers of Armor +8, Cloak of Resistance +5, 9th level Pearl of Power x3, Spell Penetration as a bonus feat (that stacks with the feat), and it has a unique healing ability, as well. Pearl of Power effect is swift, too. For 200,000 gp.

kemmotar
2007-10-09, 01:07 PM
Ring of spellbattle-know all the spells that are bing cast around you(even if you don't see them) and 1/day redirect a spell however you want(just needs a spellcrafy check)

Shirt of the leech-know when all the healing is happening(thus if you see the enemy cleric casting something and one healing spell registers on the shirt you know its him) and 1/day steal that healing spell(without even a spellcraft check)

Strongarm Bracers-wield a weapon 1 size larger

deathstrike bracers-Sneak attack undead and golems

bolt tunic-a T-shirt that helps you teleport...not very inconspicuous though...

third eye dominate-dominate a monster a day!

wand bracelet-keep wands and weapons just a free action away without using up an equipment slot.

third eye conceal-now you are invisible to divination spells...combine with invisibility and silence and you practically don't exist in this world...

shiftweave-a 5 face garment for just 500 gp

Ring of universal energy resistance(goes up to 30 for greater 180000)

Ring of greater counterspells-name says it...just for 16k!!

mask of lies-indispensable for those who don't want to reveal their true nature(or alignment) for just 4500!

OneWinged4ngel
2007-10-09, 05:54 PM
See the stickied Bunko's Bargain Basement thread on the WotC CharOp boards for items that are just plain awesome for the price.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-10-09, 05:57 PM
More love for the Healing Belt: 6d8 healing daily, or up to 4d8 in a burst. 1k gp (errata'd to 1k; listed as 750 gp in book). Absolutely awesome for low-level cleric relief. Positive energy touch attack (standard action): use it on a fallen comrade, or yourself, or damage undead.

edit: didn't see this already in the first post, sry.

Healing isn't a damage type, last I checked. You don't sneak-heal. Though you could gravestrike sneak damage undead with cure spells. And what you said isn't a sage ruling: SA damage has always been same type, as in "hey, your SA with burning ray does fire damage."

Also, where the *heck* was the belt errata'ed to 1k? :smallconfused:

I´ve got the unerring urge to punch Mike Mearls, but whatever. From what I´ve seen, the MIC is chock full of seriously underpriced Items. That review contains some of the real winners.......I´d read it.

By contrast, I feel most items were overpriced before, and couldn't even hope to compare to the Big Six. I feel that the MiC is a big improvement to the giant mound of useless **** found in most other books.

Though, there *are* a couple of items that are "too good" in the MiC (hey, they've got over a thousand in there, you can't expect them all to be wonderful. At least, not with WotC at the wheel.)

Ring of Spell Battle and Belt of Battle are overpowered for fairly obvious reasons (heck, even compare to the pricing of items that do less, but have a similar purpouse, in the same book!)

Gralamin
2007-10-09, 06:19 PM
Healing isn't a damage type, last I checked. You don't sneak-heal. Though you could gravestrike sneak damage undead with cure spells. And what you said isn't a sage ruling: SA damage has always been same type, as in "hey, your SA with burning ray does fire damage."

Also, where the *heck* was the belt errata'ed to 1k? :smallconfused:

OneWinged4ngel is right. Also, Wizards of the Coast doesn't release errata anymore, so I would also like to see where it was errata'ed.

By contrast, I feel most items were overpriced before, and couldn't even hope to compare to the Big Six. I feel that the MiC is a big improvement to the giant mound of useless **** found in most other books.
Very very True

Though, there *are* a couple of items that are "too good" in the MiC (hey, they've got over a thousand in there, you can't expect them all to be wonderful. At least, not with WotC at the wheel.)
Also true

Ring of Spell Battle and Belt of Battle are overpowered for fairly obvious reasons (heck, even compare to the pricing of items that do less, but have a similar purpouse, in the same book!)
The Ring of Spell Battle is cheese, and anything that grants additional actions is broken.

I personally have found MIC an amazing buy, and I'm glad I have it.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-10, 12:05 AM
Lens of Revelation are pretty useful at 1,400 GP for quick and dirty identification of evil outsiders and undead.

The Circlet of Rapid Casting for a few low level Quicken spells at 15,000 GP.

Armads
2007-10-10, 04:49 AM
Quicksilver Boots: 2/day, move as a swift action? and also over water? Grab this for 3.4k gp
Lesser crystal of arrow deflection: Broken Broken Broken. +5 to AC against ranged attacks for 5000 gp.
Crystal Echoblade: Really cheap, and it's good too. Bonus damage = 1/2 bard level is awesome for 4k only.
Ring of negative energy resistance: Every high leveled character will want this, if they're not already immune.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-10, 02:11 PM
Runestaffs for sorcerers particularly low level spells for a lot more spell versatility casting options if the suggestion requiring the level 3+ spell minimum is ignored as there are plenty of runestaffs that already do that.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-10-10, 03:09 PM
Mmm...I don't particularly like the base price, but the Blindfold of True Darkness is an interesting tactic for Rogues, and a solid item regardless.

It grants immunity to gaze attacks- not bad- and to 'other effects that rely on sight', which I would presume to include most visual illusions.

The real fun, however, would be in combining a Darkness or Control Light, or a similar effect (easy enough to generate) with the blindfold's blindsight ability.

Using the lowest-possible-level darkness-generating effect, Control Light, you are hidden to creatures without darkvision and can therefore SA as many times as you like. If you utilize magical Darkness, darkvision and normal vision are stymied.
Combine magical darkness- or a Ring of The Darkhidden, another favorite- with the Darkstalker feat, and you are hidden from normal vision and darkvision automatically, and from blindsight, blindsense, scent, and tremorsense if you make your checks.

Armads
2007-10-11, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately, Control Light has a duration of concentration, so you'll need sonorous hum or swift concentration to concentrate on it as you eviscerate your enemies.

sombrastewart
2007-10-11, 09:29 PM
MIC "review" by Ninjadebugger: http://ninjadebugger.livejournal.com/111021.html ."This review is going to have to be a tad different. I'm going to pick out the biggest winners from the book that I happen to see, and not worry about most of the rest, except for the totally new item types."

Maybe I'll be back later with some of my own favorites.

Absolutely. Ghost Strike as the same enhancement cost as Ghost Touch? How exactly does that work?

Douglas
2007-10-11, 10:29 PM
Ghost Strike is a synergy ability, which means it is an upgrade of a specific other ability and cannot be applied to a weapon that does not already have the base ability. The actual cost of adding Ghost Strike to a non Ghost Touch weapon is the cost of adding both Ghost Touch and Ghost Strike, or equivalent to a +2 bonus.