PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #298 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-03-30, 03:58 AM
Wednesday's comic is up.

Dhavaer
2006-03-30, 04:00 AM
"Hello, fellow Medium sized creature...' Bwaha!

rosebud
2006-03-30, 04:02 AM
Things I loved:

- The audio track of the strip. :) (Along with the timing. Sort of industrial.)
- Xcccc! (Awwwwww. =))
- Celia and the color blue. Is she aiming for Roy or someone else?
- Poor Hinjo. I hope he gets to spend at least some time with Roy.
- Lollipop!
- Intended or not, the references of "no loose plot points" and (as above) the complaint about blue.
- The swordsmith's smile at the end. =D
- Only one more strip until #300!

[Edit: Added a few more things.]

wagemage
2006-03-30, 04:03 AM
First time poster, good comic, I liked belklar's comments. FIrst Page Woot :D

grimdirge
2006-03-30, 04:04 AM
great!

Jarl
2006-03-30, 04:04 AM
I loved the "It might be hot" thing.

-First page, first time.

Evik
2006-03-30, 04:05 AM
YAY
LOL Loved it ok favorite points...

Its the only color they sell here!

Hello, fellow Medium-sized creature.

soon? Oh yes. Very soon

It, uh... it might also still be a little hot.

hehehe oh what a great way to end the night!
It's not midnight in alaska yet so its still Wednsday!
Way to go Giant!

taigen
2006-03-30, 04:06 AM
I must say thanks for the comic... was great! Kept me up doing my job (ebay related) for much longer so can relax a bit tomorrow. I must say I am a fan of the Celia - Roy thing... and the cute Genasi children that just may result!

Good Night OOTS world

-Taigen

ps I think I already translated the the Crypto... um... I think x = a and c = h! (ok heavy sarcasm there)

Zoe
lol it may be hot

EnshiMay
Guess it doesn't take roy long to look at a greatsword.

and nice to see Elan got the Lollipop.

Chlodwig
2006-03-30, 04:07 AM
Doing oath on still glowing swords is fun :)

Hmm, whom is Celia going to impress? :)

tothecornfield
2006-03-30, 04:08 AM
I hope Elan didn't use his gift certificate for the lollipop. Awesome comic though.

Oh yeah it's my first first page woot!

faeline
2006-03-30, 04:09 AM
WOOT YAY!!!

Hahahaha I like how the sequences move :P Soon will be Linear guild versus OotS!!!

*anticipate*

Edit: Woot! First page! First time!

Pvednes
2006-03-30, 04:11 AM
*sings*

The hours approaching, just give it your best
You got to reach your prime.
That’s when you need to put yourself to the test,
and show us a passage of time,
We're going to need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Sure a lot of things happing at once,
Remind everyone what’s going on (what’s going on?)
And when every shot you show a little improvement
Just Show it or it will take to long
that’s called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)

And anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,
You want a montage (montage)
even Rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)

Always fade out in a montage,
If you fade out, it seem like more time
Has passed in a montage, montage...

siobharek
2006-03-30, 04:11 AM
It's amazing how you can build up a sense of timing and anticipation like that. Very nice comic!

Bakta
2006-03-30, 04:12 AM
Belkar always craks me up.

I just daydream about what he's up about next.

Now, Miko...

AintThatASeamus
2006-03-30, 04:12 AM
Great comic! I'm so happy to see the Linear Guild again. I love me some villains in this strip. Also, good news for all the Roy/Celia 'shippers out there I guess, or at least more fodder for them.
"How are you enjoying being Medium-sized like me, on this lovely day?" Priceless!

Midnight Son
2006-03-30, 04:14 AM
The Linear Guild returns!

Dun Dun Dun!

Krytha
2006-03-30, 04:14 AM
Holy wow! What an awesome comic! Its a lucky thing that the double comic came through... I think it actually heightens the effect rather than ending one day with a CLANG...

Is Celia trying on dresses for Roy? Please say it is so! and Belkar... hahahahahaaaa

schmikey
2006-03-30, 04:17 AM
WOW! What a brilliant...CLANG...idea. Nice work, sir. My hat's off to you!

Kaerou
2006-03-30, 04:18 AM
Hello fellow medium sized creature! How are you enjoying being medium sized, like me? =)

hehe.. i guess i'm a fan of the silly jokes..!

SirGalrim
2006-03-30, 04:19 AM
Perhaps the most cimatic strip so far.
I like it!

AtomicKitKat
2006-03-30, 04:19 AM
Nothing like an industrial soundtrack courtesy of a secondary industry, like somebody said. ;D

I'm just surprised Roy didn't take a few practice swings with it, just to get used to the weight.
*spoilerish*
Cue Tetsusaiga comedy.

Kalatash
2006-03-30, 04:20 AM
While I hate for my post to be pointing out an error, there is something very wierd I just saw: In the first panel, it seems that hte line that indicates the seperation of wall and floor goes in FRONT of the anvil.

The Giant
2006-03-30, 04:25 AM
While I hate for my post to be pointing out an error, there is something very wierd I just saw: In the first panel, it seems that hte line that indicates the seperation of wall and floor goes in FRONT of the anvil.

Fixed.

mipers
2006-03-30, 04:26 AM
Very nice execution of a double comic. I get a very cinematic feeling when reading it, anticipation rising with every stroke of hammer on anvail.

Also "Ow" = extra funny.

RebelRogue
2006-03-30, 04:28 AM
Very nice one, indeed. Not so much funny as it is tension-building (well, that doesn't mean it isn't funny, though). Can't wait for what will happen in #300!

Ilover_Juventad
2006-03-30, 04:28 AM
Great comic! Loved it.

-IJ

Tanaar
2006-03-30, 04:29 AM
Very cool format for this sort of 'culminating' strip.

Even more kudos than usual, o Giant!

Kalatash
2006-03-30, 04:30 AM
Fixed.
Wow, that was quick. O_o

spectralphoenix
2006-03-30, 04:30 AM
Hilarious! Looks like the Linear Guild is about to strike!

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that Celia is talking about Roy...between the "blue" comment and the fact that she's asking V in the first place implies it's a member of the OotS, Elan is taken (more or less,) V (if male) is helping her, and she doesn't like Belkar. I suppose Durkon is also a possibility, but that seems unlikely.

LaValle
2006-03-30, 04:31 AM
might be alittle hot :D Another dramatic moment killed by humor for a bounty of XP :P Great one Giant

CLANG!

Single_Lupus
2006-03-30, 04:33 AM
Ah, very good stuff, Giant! Well worth waiting up for.

Is it just me, or is Thog bored and out of ice cream?

Poor Durkon... I got my copy of "On the Origin of PCs" a few days ago... gotta say that I feel pretty bad for him.

Hrm... wonder if the 12 Gods are gonna grant Miko's prayers? And would that be a good thing or a bad thing if they did?

... Why is Vaarsuvius helping Celia try on clothes instead of copying as many spells as elvishly possible from the library?

Also, Roy might wanna invest in an item that gives fire resistence if he's gonna be making oaths on swords hot from the forge...

And of course, Belkar rocks as usual.

Ragan
2006-03-30, 04:34 AM
Wow - This is abosolutly one of the best strips ever. And while the soundtrack has been commanted, let me just say it's both brilliant and leaves me wanting to actually hear it. I found myself thinking about turning up the volume as I read it.

I think I'm going to daydream about the OOTS being made into an animated series.

mec
2006-03-30, 04:35 AM
I suppose Durkon is also a possibility, but that seems unlikely.

He gets more chicks than Roy does! Especially the Small ones. ;)

Zann
2006-03-30, 04:38 AM
Wow, that made me laugh out loud...

Great comic, Giant, as usual.

Medium-sized people. Snort.

Eldhrin
2006-03-30, 04:49 AM
Brilliant. The construction around the reforging of the sword was just perfect, and then the joke about it still being a little hot... well, that's just taking perfection and polishing it some more. I'd have said it was impossible, but it's not.

That little glimpse of the Linear Guild also gives me great hope for the future. Also great curiosity, although I think we can easily imagine what they've been up to from that little scene.

danb
2006-03-30, 04:50 AM
It was nice to see Miko back in the strip, calm and collected. Double length comics for the win. :D

illathid
2006-03-30, 04:52 AM
Giant, you never cease to amaze me with your excellent comics... this one is gonna probably be one of my all time favorites.

rosebud
2006-03-30, 04:55 AM
Hilarious! Looks like the Linear Guild is about to strike!For the bar patrons, that should be in the past tense. :)

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that Celia is talking about RoyYeah, but I don't like to assume too much.

Is it just me, or is Thog bored and out of ice cream?Perhaps out of sprinkles (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=252)?

Hrm... wonder if the 12 Gods are gonna grant Miko's prayers? And would that be a good thing or a bad thing if they did?I don't see that OOtS is working against the Sapphire Guard; they're helping out since the Guard is seemingly foolishly bound. Belkar just wants to get back at Miko and her mount; he doesn't particularly seem to care of the guard one way or the other. So I don't see that as a negative. (And with the two groups that are against our heros, probably a positive.)

Why is Vaarsuvius helping Celia try on clothes instead of copying as many spells as elvishly possible from the library?I was wondering that, too. I presume s/he grumbled about the script and requested additional time and spells for future scripts in compensation. :) (Not to mention that there was one large party not in the strip, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Roy's nemesis soon.)

EscherEnigma
2006-03-30, 04:56 AM
nice montage strip.

I can't help but think that it would be a nice closing strip for Book 2, sort of setting the stage for Book 3.

But of course, I have no idea when book 2 will ACTUALLY end, or where book 3 begins. Just that this definitely feels like a 'in closing' strip.

Sesquedoodle
2006-03-30, 05:10 AM
I agree, it does feel like a 'closing' script. Not closing in the way that the last page of the first story arc (the one with them all posing and grinning at the camrera) did, but in a "Will Roy defeat Xykon? Will Haley get her speach back? Will Celia find a skirt that matches that blouse? Tune in next time on Order of the Stick!" kind of way.

Great strip.

endoperez
2006-03-30, 05:13 AM
Clang!
This double-strip was just great! Every single comment was so well chosen, the "timing" and "soundtrack" were really, really good, and this is very, very good. I love how the sword is reforged.
Great strip, O' Niefel amongst us.

fluffybunny
2006-03-30, 05:28 AM
Ohhhh, that was just so awesome with the epic scenes of "Clang!" The tension, the fantastic build-up of plots!

Bwhahahaha, Belkar makes me laugh so much!!!
"Medium-sized creature"
Mwahahaha - Belkar roxxor!!!

Anyone else see the possibility of the Linear Guild somehow recruiting Miko???

Quote of the Day:
"Religion has no place in public school the way
facts have no place in organized religion."
- Superintendant Chalmers, Springfield Elementary School, Springfield, USA.

Charity322
2006-03-30, 05:32 AM
Hmm wanna bet 300 is the end of the next book?

Archonic Energy
2006-03-30, 05:35 AM
no bet here.

cool strip. Ow!

he he he

koumdros
2006-03-30, 05:39 AM
first post for me!

i wonder what the "special energies" or whatever are going to be, again the smith was unable to complete his sentence because Roy started ranting and the got burned :)

Well.
We'll have some laughs with this specific sword in the enar future i bet...

The Glitter Ninja
2006-03-30, 05:42 AM
Awesome strip! I cannot wait until #300.

I'm really frightened that Elan traded his gift cert in for the lolly.

Sign_of_Fourteen
2006-03-30, 05:46 AM
Ah... I sense an appropriately-timed change of narrative now. Hopefully more Linear Guild, if I get what I want.

divine
2006-03-30, 05:50 AM
first post for me!

i wonder what the "special energies" or whatever are going to be, again the smith was unable to complete his sentence because Roy started ranting and the got burned :)

Well.
We'll have some laughs with this specific sword in the enar future i bet...
that was most likely in reference to the "green glow" when near undead - from the last comic

koumdros
2006-03-30, 06:07 AM
yep i got that, but AGAIN we didnt learn , and more importantly neither did ROy, what that "energy" is specifically about.

i think he'll learn the hard way :p

InaVegt
2006-03-30, 06:08 AM
I loved the part about the fellow medium sized creature

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-03-30, 06:16 AM
Edit for length...

*sings*

(Montage…montage)

I'm just a littlel pleased I wasn't the only person who had this song going through their head during the comic... ;-)

BTW, was this a first time montage for OotS?

Loved it, Rich!

Lord Herman
2006-03-30, 06:22 AM
Great strip, as always. Now let's just hope the Giant's head won't explode from this week's compressed comic schedule.

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-03-30, 06:27 AM
Hmm... I wonder whether or not Celia is actually trying on that blouse for Roy. Wouldn't it be dramatic if Celia, Elan, and Haley all got caught in a love triangle? The first time something like that happened, Haley was able to object...

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=160

and again...

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=161

But now that Haley can't speak, she won't be able to object. He-he-he, this might actually be what it takes to fix Haley ;D.

"Elan, I believe if you think about it, you will see that there might be another reason Haley is so upset. Perhaps a reason she is not even admitting to herself?"
"Hey! I know! Is it because Samantha is younger and has a higher Charisma than she does?"

But my favorite... "Let me guess: Her tonsils are evil, and you were smiting them with your tongue."

Kinda fits in with my prediction that "only true love can break the curse!!"

Oh, and hey... What's with this "soundtrack" everybody is referring to?

Albion
2006-03-30, 06:37 AM
I'll have to check out the soundtrack at home, if there is such a thing. (at UNI now.) Simple or not, Haley's enthusiastic "Xcccc!" probably made me smirk'n'chuckle the most. Great idea with this tension-building style.

I really though that that "GAH!" at the end, with all the tension-building before it, would mean something really dramatic. How silly of me, it was time for the "end relief".

Sc00by
2006-03-30, 06:43 AM
Claaang!

wonder how/if the dwarves are gonna respond to that letter

Claang!

Love the encypted Ahhh!

Claang!

I'm with others in not understanding why V is offering fashion advice when there is more arcane power on offer...

Claang!

Miko in a ring of candles talking to all 12 gods... That just can't end well ;D

Claang!

Belkar 'blending in'... One of the funnest lines for a while, though quickly eclipsed

Claaang!

Elan... Missing the plot! ;)

Claaang!

Thog runs out of sprinkles... Belkar so should be in the linear guild - he and Thog would get on sooooo well...

and Claang!

"ow! Funnier (in context) than evilgasm!

So all in all - not a bad strip ;)

IRSWalker
2006-03-30, 06:48 AM
A cinematic strip with a slapstick ending?

Doesn't get any better than that! :)

Nice one Giant.

Delgarde
2006-03-30, 06:55 AM
Excellent strip, particularly the whole rhythm of the smith's hammer. And I love the bits with Celia and with Belkar; also good to see Miko calmed down and seeking guidance from her gods - hopefully they give her some good advice.

And yes, this definitely looks like a wrap up script, ready for the end of a book. Looking forward to what comes next.

phlip
2006-03-30, 07:10 AM
Loved the rhythm, like everyone else...
Loved Belkar's line, like everyone else...
Loved Haley's line, like everyone else...
Loved Elan's entire scene, like everyone else...

I'm seeing a pattern.

Belkar's line seems remeniscent of the fake Belkar on prison - really obvious what he's saying, and noone gets it.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-03-30, 07:11 AM
Oh, and hey... What's with this "soundtrack" everybody is referring to?

It's from the movie, "Team America: World Police." In the movie there is a montage that parodies other film montages.

Lianae
2006-03-30, 07:20 AM
Wow! Great comic!

I wonder if the Giant was thinking of the Montage song when he wrote it... ;D

This was perfect for a double strip, it worked really well! Yay for OoTS! :D

Max_Sinister
2006-03-30, 07:33 AM
Xcccc (= Ahhhh)... simple but so funny!

Roy seems to have a slow reaction, doesn't he?

So the Linear Guild is on the run again... but where's Xykon? And what's the purpose of the carnage we've seen? What's supposed to be soon? Or don't they mean "soon" but "Soon" as in "Soon's portal"?

And I have further proof for my theory that V is gay!

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-03-30, 07:37 AM
I wonder if the Giant was thinking of the Montage song when he wrote it... ;D

As the Giant has proven to be an author of sophisticated humour, rye wit and exceedingly high taste: probably not.

*Quicky reviews previous strips*

Or he owns the extended, special edition, director's cut DVD and the song was playing in the background as he Illustrated his heart out. ;-)

Ravenwind
2006-03-30, 07:49 AM
Loved the build in this one, the way each use of the montage effect was deeply undercut. The montage goes for the serious, the dramatic, and it gets undercut even after its first use, when the smith looks down at her work, the steel still crumpled, with a look of dismay. Then each individual joke continues to subvert the structure provided by the montage, and finishing with Roy's deeply serious oath. . . .

. . . only to finish off with one final subversion.

Love it. :) Well-designed. Although I hope the 'he' to whom Celia is referring is Roy; it would be very amusing, however, to have THAT expectation undercut as well, but not nearly so satisfying to 'shipers.

Artector
2006-03-30, 07:51 AM
I haven't laughed like that in a long time giant.
;D ;D
Thank you.

Imbicatus
2006-03-30, 08:01 AM
Another great comic! I love the CLANG! It reminded me of the opening scene of Conan the Barbarian when the old man was forging the sword. Now I will have Basil Poulidaris in my head all day.. Not a bad thing!

Kanashimi
2006-03-30, 08:17 AM
Things I loved:

- Xcccc! (Awwwwww. =))
- Lollipop!
- Intended or not, the references of "no loose plot points" and (as above) the complaint about blue.

[Edit: Added a few more things.]

Seconded.

very movie-esque. ALl of the other things going on in the background while the sword is being reforged.

umm, yeah swords are hot when freshly forged.

tee_kay_one
2006-03-30, 08:28 AM
Excellent stuff, Giant! This skript is so cinematic, it just works! I'm sure everyone just heard music while reading it. Could be used as a storyboard for this OotS-movie that was discussed some time ago. And boy, it was fast paced, a race through the story lines.

Celia wearing a mini-skirt WHILE FLYING OVERHEAD... alright, alright, I shut my mouth (me: totally spoilt)

What did the linear guild do for hell's sake? They slaughtered a tavern? Seems like their players are 16 year old pubescent kids, hm... ;D

mirado_lassik
2006-03-30, 08:35 AM
Great comic, Giant. Keep up the nice work.

It kinda reminded me of the Family Guy Movie where Stewie is chasing the family car back to the pool where he swam his race at the beginning. Did anybody else get that?

Lightman
2006-03-30, 08:37 AM
"Hello, fellow Medium sized creature...' Bwaha!
Seconded!

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-30, 08:41 AM
Heh. Teh funny!

eof
2006-03-30, 08:43 AM
Probably didn't take damage until his initiative came up. ;D

(Edit: inserted "take")

Gleanerizer
2006-03-30, 08:43 AM
The end of the strip reminds me of my sister's stint in the restaurant industry. Also, that SNL sketch.

Kumiko: "Don't touch, the plate is hot."

Dining schmuck: "OK." ... "GAH!"

Kumiko: ::)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-30, 08:44 AM
Ok, maybe I'm being slow, but is anyone actually hearing a soundtrack with this, or is everyone just making it up?

tee_kay_one
2006-03-30, 08:49 AM
Ok, maybe I'm being slow, but is anyone actually hearing a soundtrack with this, or is everyone just making it up?

Oh, come on. If you listen really really closely, and read the panels in the right rythm - you will hear it too!

P.S.: it's all in your head! everything!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-30, 08:59 AM
Oh, come on. If you listen really really closely, and read the panels in the right rythm - you will hear it too!

P.S.: it's all in your head! everything!
A'ight, a'ight, was just making sure ;)

Alfryd
2006-03-30, 09:02 AM
Wednesday's comic is up.
That was pretty damn good. Just as well you ended up with a double-lengther.

Well, Celia. Best of luck, with... whatever adult male humanoid fatigued by variations on azure you might wish to impress.
*sound of teeth grinding*

...good to see Miko calmed down and seeking guidance from her gods - hopefully they give her some good advice.
"...allow me to see through their lies to the truth."
"...Hello, and welcome to DragonChat(tm)! If you know the name of the divine revelation you wish to experience, chant 'one'!"
"Uh... one?"
"If you wish to gain foresight of virgin births, chant 'one'! If you desire a foreshadowing of untimely death, chant 'two'! If you would like a vaguely-worded but ultimately crucial prophecy unveiled at a crucial juncture, chant 'three'! If you would like a premonition of deceit and treachery, chant 'four'! If you cannot locate the spare keys in your desk..."
"Four! ...Four!"
"You have selected 'financial advice.' Thank you for using DragonChat(tm)!"
"Used chariot salesmen... I always had my suspicions. What?"

Clearly, we're not done here.

DeathQuaker
2006-03-30, 09:02 AM
Claaang!

I'm with others in not understanding why V is offering fashion advice when there is more arcane power on offer...

Because everyone KNOWS elves, regardless of gender, have the best fashion sense! :)

Besides, knowing V s/he pulled an all-nighter scribing to his/her heart's content. S/he's just taking a breather, clearly. :)

As for the folks asking about the soundtrack... the OP who used this was using a bit of hyperbole. It's just the clangs.

bosssmiley
2006-03-30, 09:10 AM
GJ Giant, loved the pacing. Couldn't help thinking of the reforging scene from the 3rd LOTR movie. ;D

Annalia
2006-03-30, 09:17 AM
Great Comic! I particularly love the fact that Nale seems to be holding a head.

Gengy
2006-03-30, 09:27 AM
"...allow me to see through their lies to the truth."
"...Hello, and welcome to DragonChat(tm)! If you know the name of the divine revelation you wish to experience, chant 'one'!"
"Uh... one?"
"If you wish to gain foresight of virgin births, chant 'one'! If you desire a foreshadowing of untimely death, chant 'two'! If you would like a vaguely-worded but ultimately crucial prophecy unveiled at a crucial juncture, chant 'three'! If you would like a premonition of deceit and treachery, chant 'four'! If you cannot locate the spare keys in your desk..."
"Four! ...Four!"
"You have selected 'financial advice.' Thank you for using DragonChat(tm)!"
"Used chariot salesmen... I always had my suspicions. What?"

Clearly, we're not done here.

LOL. That's great.

And so was the comic. I can't wait for Friday's comic, so I'm finishing my time machine and leaving in it. See you guys in the fuuuuuuuuture!

Bilbo27
2006-03-30, 09:35 AM
Clang

Clang

And the sword of Roys family is reforged!

And the Linear Guild will struke soon

Yeah!

and Belkar walks freely among the humans--yeah

and elan has a lollipop!! Whooooo

Great stuff Giant---300 is ohhh soooo cloooose!

Justinian
2006-03-30, 09:36 AM
<3333333333333333 4 dis #298

Wntrrvn
2006-03-30, 09:37 AM
The drama in this strip is excellent.

I almost got a chill when reading Miko's bit.

And it, uh... it might be hot.

tee_kay_one
2006-03-30, 09:40 AM
Great Comic! I particularly love the fact that Nale seems to be holding a head.

Uh, you have a special taste... but I liked that too, it looks so casual. Like a second later he'd say: "oh, I'm still holding this?"

;D

(edit: grrr, typos, typos everywhere)

opherion
2006-03-30, 09:57 AM
Thog.

Panel 9.

Happiness.

Shatteredtower
2006-03-30, 10:00 AM
I'm sure everyone just heard music while reading it.

Yeah, but it was Bang Bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer, for some reason. ???

Loved the strip, though.

thequeenmac
2006-03-30, 10:01 AM
heh i love this. this would make an awesome poster. it shows them all in a light without the others, but you still know they are a group with a glimps of th bad guys thrown in for good messure. heh. its great!

SabreGuy
2006-03-30, 10:06 AM
Maybe I'm just weird... but the whole time Roy had to wield a club, I felt like something just wasn't right with the world. Now that he's got his sword back, I feel like I can root for him properly again.

Also, as usual, Belkar provided the biggest laugh for me in this one.

Eternal-Darthness
2006-03-30, 10:14 AM
Steel is weak, boy. Flesh is stronger.
(Although apparently the will that wields both steel and flesh is stronger still.)

Hinjo was still smiling, so apparently assigning Elan to him wasn't on the same level of cruelty everyone thought.
Celia is definitely out for Roy.
Belkar's medium creature-itude, the Belkar illusion, and the turning a blind eye to both reminds me of the "Mr. Hilter" sketch in Monty Python.
"when I was head of Gestapo...err...no, was never head of Gestapo, of course not."
Thog IS evil, just happy-go-lucky stupid evil.
I wonder what would happen if Haley tried to say "Xcccc"?
My soundtrack was Eurythmics: Sweet Dreams, though I can see Maxwell's Silver Hammer

phlip
2006-03-30, 10:16 AM
You mean people aren't hearing that music playing, and all the characters talking, and that little voice telling us to kill everyone before they have the chance to kill us?

What?

Hinjo was still smiling, so apparently assigning Elan to him wasn't on the same level of cruelty everyone thought.
Umm... are you looking at the same Hinjo that I'm looking at? 'Cause I'm looking at him and he doesn't look smiling to me...

tee_kay_one
2006-03-30, 10:25 AM
on Today at 9:14am, Attila the Bun wrote:

Umm... are you looking at the same Hinjo that I'm looking at? 'Cause I'm looking at him and he doesn't look smiling to me...

AHA! Obviously The Giant quickly redrew Hinjos facial expression. ;D

Nightstallion
2006-03-30, 10:26 AM
One of the most exceptional comics the Giant has made up to now. ("Up a Level, Down a Level" is still my favourite, though. ;))

And... Oh, *please* let it be Roy Celia's aiming for. =]

Gleanerizer
2006-03-30, 10:33 AM
I had to re-examine some of the earlier comics, I had to get on my desktop which has better colors in the monitor, and I had to read this thread to make sure it hasn't been mentioned... but...

Roy's sword has an actual green hilt again! It's not turquoise-ish like it was earlier. 8)

Um... that's all.

Sundog
2006-03-30, 10:37 AM
One of the things I love about this strip is the way Mr. Burlew manages to turn misfortune into opportunity.

If he hadn't been stuck in 19th century hell, we would have had our regular OOtS for this week. And they would have been good, possible spectacularly good.

Instead, we have a fine example of receiving lemons and making lemonade. The montage sequence of this strip ranks up there with the piece at the end of Wings of Honneamise - a sequence that, in my humble opinion, more than adequately apologizes for the excesses rampant otherwise in that film.

Sweet, sweet lemonade.

RationalGoblin
2006-03-30, 10:39 AM
Rich, you are GOOD! THAT WAS AWESOME! *bows before Rich* Eheh, the coolest part in my opinion was when Nale said, "Oh yes, very soon." A close second was Miko praying. Does anyone else think her messsage will be intercepted by someone evil?

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-03-30, 10:41 AM
Hilarious! Looks like the Linear Guild is about to strike!

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that Celia is talking about Roy...between the "blue" comment and the fact that she's asking V in the first place implies it's a member of the OotS, Elan is taken (more or less,) V (if male) is helping her, and she doesn't like Belkar. I suppose Durkon is also a possibility, but that seems unlikely.

V helping Celia go clothes shopping.....the gender ambiguity is more blurred than ever! I love it! :)

Zann
2006-03-30, 10:42 AM
One of the most exceptional comics the Giant has made up to now. ("Up a Level, Down a Level" is still my favourite, though. ;))

And... Oh, *please* let it be Roy Celia's aiming for. =]
God, I HATE that comic. Its the one, out of ALL of them, that I really don't like.

Blech blech blech blech blech.

That one is my favourite now though.

KaosDevice
2006-03-30, 10:44 AM
Well that was fun. I like the intercuts of the reforging to establish the pacing and that 'big fantasy' feel. Plus Elan wandering along with a lollipop..halarious!

Solmage
2006-03-30, 10:47 AM
I will finally post here. Been a lurker forever. Hahhaahahahahaha - Loved the comic :)

Oh and Go Miko!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-03-30, 10:49 AM
Xcccc (= Ahhhh)... simple but so funny!

Had to be the adrenalin, the excitement of getting his sword back reforged. When it wore off...looks like he'll be asking Durkon for a CLW. ;D

motub
2006-03-30, 10:52 AM
Oh, how much fun was that?! Reminded me of the intro to Neverwinter Nights, modified to montage the OotS instead of Lord Neverar beating that minotaur, juxtaposed with the forging of the all-important sword. Probably because of that similarity, I could hear that CLANG!, and it made it feel like the forging was the most important event, and all the other stuff was just peripheral (though quite funny).

Glad Elan got his lollipop (and really, wasn't being too annoying); no clue what the LG is up to (but nice to see them); nice to see V "out and about" for a change (and to see Celia), but I would have liked to know if V got any great uber-spells from the wizard; great to see what is hopefully the last cryptogram (very funny, since we could all solve it, yet poignant because it's the last if they can cure Haley); Belkar being "nice" was funny; Roy swearing a dramatic oath, which of course was spoiled dramatically by the sword being hot ("It's only a model!").... all fabulous stuff-- until the big scare.

It was just the best to see Miko, and even better than the best to see her praying for guidance as she ought (and needs) to. Then I read her prayer...

"Grant me the strength and wisdom to seek out and stop those who would obstruct the holy mission of the Sapphire Guard."

I wasn't too worried by this, even though she clearly means the OotS, since they are in fact not obstructing the holy mission of the SG.

"Allow me to see through their lies to the truth."

This is when I got scared. If the 12 Gods give her a "global" ability to see through "lies" (without regard to who is lying and whether said lying creature "would obstruct the holy mission of the Sapphire Guard"), then several people are in trouble: namely, Shojo, Eugene, and Belkar, and possibly Roy (as an accomplice to the lie that allows Belkar to be out of jail).

If the 12 Gods give her an ability to see through the lies of those who actually would obstruct the holy etc., etc., then only Shojo (of the current people she can associate with) and maybe Eugene are in danger (or maybe only Eugene, since if it served his interest to obstruct, he would, it just happens that atm it doesn't).

Whether Shojo is in danger really then depends on precisely what is the holy mission of the Sapphire Guard (and I do mean precisely the terms of their oath), to determine whether his lies obstruct or not (since his lies are in some respect unrelated to his position as leader of the SG, but serve to protect his "civilian" life).

And of course, which construction offers the most potential for drama and comedy.

But it certainly gave me something to worry about, amid the laughter (which is just fine by me).

Great one, Giant!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-03-30, 10:55 AM
I guess the only thing I didn't like is that apparently we're not through with the paladin psycho bitch. :P

SabreGuy
2006-03-30, 11:01 AM
I guess the only thing I didn't like is that apparently we're not through with the paladin psycho bitch. :P

While I don't like that I actively dislike a character in a comic... agreed. I liked her for a while, but now she just makes me anxious. *shrugs*

Zann
2006-03-30, 11:03 AM
Hang on, plot twist... What if:

Celia was really talking about Belkar, and the reason she hadn't been his lawyer was that she was too embarressed?

Only time will tell...

Maybe its Hinjo.

hatsinger
2006-03-30, 11:04 AM
Amazing. TRuly Amazing. I could imagine this strip as a movie... It was perfect... the "sound" os the hammer getting louder and louder until the blacksmith ends his work. I know that it is a comic strip, but the punchline IMHO was totally unnecessary.

aaronbourque
2006-03-30, 11:04 AM
Dang, I was wrong about Miko!

. . .

Oh, well. She's sure to never show up again, now!

. . .

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

Zann
2006-03-30, 11:06 AM
Amazing. TRuly Amazing. I could imagine this strip as a movie... It was perfect... the "sound" os the hammer getting louder and louder until the blacksmith ends his work. I know that it is a comic strip, but the punchline IMHO was totally unnecessary.
Hers. HERS!

And it was unneccessary but excellent.

Supagoof
2006-03-30, 11:07 AM
Beautiful. The pacing. The quick snapshots of where most every "loose" end is (except for Xykon, maybe he's still enjoying his evilgasm.).

This comic is best viewed with a driving music of your preference, just understand that by driving music, I am refering to something with a simple 4/4 beat. If you haven't put such a tune to it, do so. It makes the "lemonade" that much sweeter.

Downtown
2006-03-30, 11:10 AM
This seems like a good place and a good comic to end book #3 don't ya think?

Benementat
2006-03-30, 11:26 AM
I am convinced Celia is talking about Hinjo: He's a decent guy who won't cheat on her (LG), he's upwardly mobile (in line to take over the SG), and he's surrounded by blue clothing all the time! Of course V is going to suggest a different color for her so she stands out. I think Roy is too much of a wanderer for what she wants out of a guy.

And so, shippers, object away! :P :)

Zann
2006-03-30, 11:33 AM
I am convinced Celia is talking about Hinjo: He's a decent guy who won't cheat on her (LG), he's upwardly mobile (in line to take over the SG), and he's surrounded by blue clothing all the time! Of course V is going to suggest a different color for her so she stands out. I think Roy is too much of a wanderer for what she wants out of a guy.

And so, shippers, object away! :P :)
I have an objection that'll knock your socks off.

THEY'VE NEVER MET! They've never even been in the same picture! They're both in one comic, but they don't meet or talk about each other at all!

I win!

Swashbuckler
2006-03-30, 11:47 AM
Oh, how much fun was that?! Reminded me of the intro to Neverwinter Nights, modified to montage the OotS instead of Lord Neverar beating that minotaur, juxtaposed with the forging of the all-important sword.

That would be Lord Nasher, of NWN fame. But your comparison is right on the mark!

For myself, the "Soundtrack" playing through my mind was Ralrok's Thergerim Theme (http://www.santharia.com/mp3/Ralrok%20-%20The%20Thergerim%20Theme.mp3), done for the online Roleplaying realm of the Santharian Dream. It fits so well!

I don't think there's any infringements of linking to it here, since it is a free download from the Santharian Dream (http://www.santharia.com/startup_new/mainframe_netscape.htm) website - but be it known that the work is credited to Ralrok, and he is lord and master of the rights (and praises) for this awesome work.

If there is an issue with linking to it, please let me know, and I'll remove it.

Banjo_Buddy
2006-03-30, 11:54 AM
I have an objection that'll knock your socks off.

THEY'VE NEVER MET! They've never even been in the same picture! They're both in one comic, but they don't meet or talk about each other at all!!

We don't know that. Stuff happens between strips. What was Celia doing in the city before the trial? What did she say to V?

It could be Hinjo. They might have met. Now, some of us fans would like it to be Roy (perhaps pushed there by Elan's comment), but it's still up in the air. (Appropriate for Celia, I guess.)

No spoiler, because I'm not predicting a gosh-darn thing. Just widening the options.

Hawkeye
2006-03-30, 12:01 PM
I suppose this should be in spoiler color...

It'll be kinda cool if Roy and Celia got it together, but I don't honestly think it'd happen because:
a) it's god darn predictable, and the comic would lose some of it's charm if everything was predictable.
b) in an action film, the hero doesn't get a girl until the end of the movie. Now here it would be the defeat of Xykon, which is far in the future. So no girl yet.

Axantur
2006-03-30, 12:03 PM
Does anybody else have that "What you need is a MONTAGE!" song from Team America: World Police stuck in their heads?

And show us a passage of time,
Were going to need a montage (montage)

With mind, everyone what’s going on (what’s going on?)

even rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Has passed in a montage,
Montage

Looks like the Giant forgot to fade out.

I'm not even sure how you do that in a comic anyway.

fithi
2006-03-30, 12:25 PM
Along with many others, I love the soundtrack of this strip.

Belkar's encounter, Durkon, the Linear Guild, Miko, Haley, Hinjo and Elan, Celia and V. Fantastic. Well done!

Oh yeah, and the sword getting reforged! This is an amazing strip, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this will continue.

Edit: I forgot Durkon! Oops!

phlip
2006-03-30, 12:26 PM
Does anybody else have that "What you need is a MONTAGE!" song from Team America: World Police stuck in their heads?
This guy (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=comics;num=1143705522 ;start=0#13) did, certainly. On the first page even.

KaosDevice
2006-03-30, 12:31 PM

Oh lawdy, I almost spit water on my keyboard...that is perfect! Although it really isn't a montage as much as parallel editing; showing several different characters doing different things in different places that all occur at the same time. Then using a connecting theme (the smith) to tie them all in together.

Edit
Hmm missed those lyrics on the front page too. I skimmed the thread pretty quickly though and it seems like any more the first posts consist primarilly of 'Yay I'm on the first page, best comic ever!' sorts of posts.

Ebon_Drake
2006-03-30, 12:33 PM
That was a good strip. Not LOL funny, but very well done and a nice way to finish off the next book, if that's what this strip will do. I particularly liked the way Belkar's sort of goose-stepping when he's walking. It makes his odd comments stand out that little bit more.

Cirin
2006-03-30, 12:57 PM
Personally, for the soundtrack I kept hearing "Anvil of Crom", the proper fantasy music for a scene with a sword being forged.

Also, I didn't know "Montage" was in Team America (never got to see it), but I it was in the episode "Asspen" of South Park, airing two years before Team America came out (the episode being a parody of skiing movies and 80's films, both rich in montages).

Cool strip.

I do wonder what's going to happen if/when Miko goes hunting the OotS now, or what kind of vision she might get. Imagine the look of confusion if she saw the OotS and LG at the same time (since both of those antagonists are moving against them now), and one of the two groups detected as much more evil.

Solara
2006-03-30, 01:21 PM
Fantastic comic! I'm actually glad he couldn't get them posted when he wanted, or we might not have had the double-sized goodness.

As usual Belkar gets the best lines (had me laughing out loud at the 'Medium-sized creature' remarks, and then laughing again at the surreality of Belkar being polite), and like most everyone else has mentioned I quite enjoyed the 'soundtrack', excellent way to rack up the tension! :D

And of course, Miko is back and is continuing to worry me, especially that "see through their lies" line. Right now the entire save-the-world mission might very well depend on a handful of lies holding together until the OotS are finished. We already know that having anything to do with the other gates at all, even just to check up on them, would be a violation of what the Sapphire Guard were created to do...

Zann
2006-03-30, 01:30 PM
That was a good strip. Not LOL funny, but very well done and a nice way to finish off the next book, if that's what this strip will do. I particularly liked the way Belkar's sort of goose-stepping when he's walking. It makes his odd comments stand out that little bit more.
It bloody well made me laugh out loud! Several times, every time I looked at it or thought about it!

*laughs*

Gary_Schaper
2006-03-30, 01:41 PM
in an action film, the hero doesn't get a girl until the end of the movie. Now here it would be the defeat of Xykon, which is far in the future. So no girl yet.
Typically, though, the identity of the girl is established and clear to the audience well in advance of the end of the story. They don't just pop up in the last five minutes and say, "Hi! I'm your love interest! Smooch me!"

Roy / Celia have yet to be established as an actual romantic pairing, outside of all our speculations.

battleburn
2006-03-30, 02:15 PM
Besides, if this is the end of one book, this could be the moment. The hero can get the girl before the whole series is over.

Hawkeye
2006-03-30, 02:23 PM
I suppose this should be in spoiler colour

I suppose so, well she's a "possible" for a romantic interest later. Elan made a passing comment in one of the most recent strips (when talking about who he's going to share his gift with).

I predict that who Celia meant in this strip is not going be revealed until much later, if at all (if Miko is going to fall, whether Sabine is a devil/demon etc).

Nerd-o-rama
2006-03-30, 02:29 PM
Shouldn't all this rampant speculation be spoilerfied? Either through coloring it white or posting it in one of the two [spoiler] threads dedicated to it?

I don't want to have to read through a nonsensical, slapped-together substitute plot if you guys are guessing right, and TG actually reads this thread (why, I do not know.)

EDIT: Then again, I guess there have been sensible, worthwhile substitute plots in the past. Enough so that I didn't notice them, anyway.

Tyas
2006-03-30, 02:33 PM
My personal soundtrack for this was....

The anvil chorus

As for the hot sword, I've done something similar. Cast Iron skillets usually don't get their handles very warm when you are just cooking normally. I picked up one that the person using it had had on that particular eye 'warming' (it didn't even have any food in it) for more than 2 hours. Picked it up, carried it halfway across the kitchen, realized it was too hot to hold on to and dropped it. Had a minor burn, not bad, red and swelling, no blisters (think that's first degree?)

I didn't even know the eye was on (was turned up just below the point where it starts to glow)

Doug_Lampert
2006-03-30, 02:34 PM

Because Copying spells is a per day activity. You get the same amount done whether you spend 8 hours a day or 16 hours a day on it. So V has no incentive to spend more than 8. Remember that the characters know the rules.

DougL

Nightstallion
2006-03-30, 02:36 PM
Just a little FYI for those who think Haley will be cured by Shojo's clerics: A snowball's chance in hell. IIRC, the Giant said that it would serve to show some strong character development for Haley, and simply being cured by measly clerics wouldn't; it's likely to be related to either Elan or her father, IMO.

Zaruthustran
2006-03-30, 02:37 PM
I like how Belkar's stilts are visually the same as the legs of citizens, but they still somehow appear to be more "sticklike" than legs.

Also like the Miko bit. Forumers hate her, but she really is a Good and pious person.

Also like... well, everything else, really. :) Great comic.

metalphil
2006-03-30, 02:41 PM
Ah. Nothing like a gooood montage.

Freeman333
2006-03-30, 02:45 PM
Okay, someone want to explain to me how V got roped into going clothes shopping? My impression of the Ambiguously Gendered One is that s/he would rather be dragged over hot coals covered with a mixture of spiders and stale Chex Mix than waste time on something as pointless as deciding which piece of cloth looks better than another--particularly while there is arcane lore to be scrutinized. Did Celia threaten to levy a series of frivolous lawsuits against Ol' Pointy Ears that would eat up the rest of the elf's centuries-long lifespan? Did she threaten to cry (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=101)?

I'm betting that last one. As a lawyer, I'm sure she's got a good CHA score, and probably more than a few ranks in Intimidate. And it would take some serious persuasion to make V give up library time to go hang around Aberquasit & Dretch, or wherever they are, to look at blue skirts. (Note, also, how deftly V dodges Celia's question. Perhaps trying to gently puncture Celia's balloon and keep her from getting her hopes up? One can only wonder...)

Solara
2006-03-30, 02:49 PM
Just a little FYI for those who think Haley will be cured by Shojo's clerics: A snowball's chance in hell. IIRC, the Giant said that it would serve to show some strong character development for Haley, and simply being cured by measly clerics wouldn't; it's likely to be related to either Elan or her father, IMO.

I've said it before, but my guess is that the thing with her father is going to be revealed very soon.

Edna
2006-03-30, 02:50 PM
Two minutes.

I shut down the computer and went to bed last night TWO MINUTES before Rich posted this comic, so I had to wait until morning to see it :(

I'm always impressed by the subtle details that Rich includes in the comics. I usually have to read the comic more than once to notice them all. This time, the "CLANG" sounds different each time it occurs. Belkar's stilt, even though it looks just like a stick leg, sticks out at a different angle so that it looks just a little "wrong." There are twelve candles for twelve gods.

Edna

Thray
2006-03-30, 02:58 PM
Okay, someone want to explain to me how V got roped into going clothes shopping? My impression of the Ambiguously Gendered One is that s/he would rather be dragged over hot coals covered with a mixture of spiders and stale Chex Mix than waste time on something as pointless as deciding which piece of cloth looks better than another--particularly while there is arcane lore to be scrutinized. Did Celia threaten to levy a series of frivolous lawsuits against Ol' Pointy Ears that would eat up the rest of the elf's centuries-long lifespan? Did she threaten to cry (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=101)?

I'm betting that last one. As a lawyer, I'm sure she's got a good CHA score, and probably more than a few ranks in Intimidate. And it would take some serious persuasion to make V give up library time to go hang around Aberquasit & Dretch, or wherever they are, to look at blue skirts. (Note, also, how deftly V dodges Celia's question. Perhaps trying to gently puncture Celia's balloon and keep her from getting her hopes up? One can only wonder...)
V has shown some interest in clothes (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3) before.

LostOne
2006-03-30, 03:03 PM
Excellent comic. This works best as a double strip so the delay only really made the final strip better. ;)

Also, I predict that we are about to get a glimpse of the ultimate villain: Xykon. He was notably missing from this comic so who knows what nefarious plan he is currently carrying out. ;D

Sonofapreacherman
2006-03-30, 03:08 PM
Hot damn! Roy is going to get some sweet pixie lovin!

*Ah-hem.*

Ah subtlety ... where art thou when I need thee most?

a1057soul
2006-03-30, 03:10 PM
I hear Basil Poledouris' Riders of Doom playing in the background for this strip (from the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack when James Earl Jones Thulsa Doom rides in and kills everyone and enslaves Conan).

Any other music choices that you think work?

:-D
Dan

n11
2006-03-30, 03:11 PM
Okay, someone want to explain to me how V got roped into going clothes shopping?

V. really wants what is best for Roy, and has a deep respect for his abilities. As a married individual (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=223), perhaps V. thinks a relationship would be good for Roy and is helping Celia attract Roy for Roy's benefit.

Zann
2006-03-30, 03:12 PM
I hear Basil Poledouris' Riders of Doom playing in the background for this strip (from the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack when James Earl Jones Thulsa Doom rides in and kills everyone and enslaves Conan).

Any other music choices that you think work?

:-D
Dan
I just heard a huge echoing 'clang' every few strips.

Unnerving...

saraswati
2006-03-30, 03:30 PM
Yes, I agree, #298 was montage-tastic!

Of course, its just a testament to Rich's quality character exposition skills that I wanted to see every second of all the activities implies by the montage. LOL.

So here's a question: When Miko asks to "see through the lies?" which lies do you think she has in mind? If she is thinking of the "badness" of the OOTS and asking for divine help in defeating them, I can understand her doing that. I can understand if she thinks that OOTS are evil, unlawful, rebellious, and have personally insulted her. (I don't agree with any of this, I'm just saying this is Miko's opinion on the subject). But does Miko's prayer implied that the OOTS lied to her in some way? And what, specifically, do you think she is referring to?

I can see how Miko praying to see through lies can be a great plot device, I agree with that. But I'm wondering what motivated her to do that in the first place?

Speculations, anyone? (I don't think they would be spoilers, since we are just discussing how Miko views past events).

Zann
2006-03-30, 03:37 PM
Lies about Belkar? Lies about Durkon and escaping the cells? Lies about Shojo letting them off?

tothecornfield
2006-03-30, 03:51 PM
The cryptograms are getting more complex. This one took me the better part of today to complete. This one isn't a simple replacement cypher but actually a more complex code. It references a specific passage in Das Kapital by Marx that states "The workers shal control the means of production" Haley is seen exclaiming this forcefully while sticking her tongue out in defiance of the ruling class. Either that or she is saying "ahhhh!" Either way great comic.

Zann
2006-03-30, 03:53 PM
Would you like some eggs with your paranoia today?

Brother_Hood
2006-03-30, 03:57 PM
Nice. I'm waiting to see what X does with a nation at his command.

Zann
2006-03-30, 04:05 PM
Probably sacrifice them to some large beast or other.

Freeman333
2006-03-30, 04:09 PM
V. really wants what is best for Roy, and has a deep respect for his abilities. As a married individual (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=223), perhaps V. thinks a relationship would be good for Roy and is helping Celia attract Roy for Roy's benefit.

I'd like to believe that were true. I really would. Mainly because I'm a Roy/Celia shipper, but also because I like the relationship between Roy and V and would enjoy seeing V try to do something purely to help Mr. Greenhilt out.

But the thing I keep coming back to, is: a Roy/Celia matchup just seems too obvious. Hell, Elan thought it was a likely pairing; and I try never to agree with Elan if I can at all help it.

Also, while I would like it very much, V doing something that nice for Roy would be more touching than funny, and while Rich is not above having a few touching moments here and there in his strip (Durkon's teary eye, for instance) the strip's been a little sentiment-heavy lately and I imagine he's eager to get back to meeting his quota of belly-laughs. So, I'm guessing whatever V's explanation is, it's something funny rather than something sweet. I'm hoping that doesn't count as a spoiler--"I predict that Order of the Stick will have jokes in it. Shhh! Don't tell anyone! They might not have guessed it yet!"

Also, I forgot about the green Boots of Speed thing. I had originally interpreted V's comment as sarcasm, but that might be me mapping too much of my own personality onto Pointy Ears.

titan_monarch
2006-03-30, 04:09 PM
This comic RULED!

I could probably not hear the same soundtrack as everyone else. Personally, I heard a song with a very strong drum beat, slow steady rhythm, and a huge brass chord every time there was "CLANG!". Then silence as Roy swore his oath on the sword, then a cheesy little snare-drum-and-cymbals "ba-boom clash!" after the punchline. You get that with every good joke. Or at least you should.

After reading Miko's prayer to the Twelve Gods, I've had a really weird idea. I think that, since Xykon is the one trying to obstruct the Sapphire Guard's plans, while the Order of the Stick is helping them, she might have a complete change of heart, and might join the OotS to fight Xykon.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-03-30, 04:12 PM
The first thing I thought was...this needs music. And the montage song was cool. But here's something else:

The Hunt for Red October theme, about 1:05 in. Just play that in the background quietly, while clever camera cuts and angles segue each character's scene with the blacksmith.

I just tried it and it takes about 2 minutes to go through at a good clip.

Nixie
2006-03-30, 04:14 PM
I loved that! "Uh, it might be a little hot..."

My dad's friend in a BS, and he always warns us about things being 'black-hot'

Great Job, Giant.

Can't wait to go to Origins, get more OotS stuff.

-Nixie

[EDIT] appearently, you aren't allowed to slur words?
*sigh* ah, well. Better grammer will come around.

nightfire8199
2006-03-30, 04:18 PM
Nice comic giant

Coffee_Dragon
2006-03-30, 04:33 PM
Yes, a really good one.

"Xcccc" - giggle!

"Get his attention" - food for the Celia/Roy shippers that sprout up everywhere. One thing though: sylphs are fey, not elementals, so no genasi in the pipeline.

Miko - yay!

"Medium-sized creature" - giggle!

Roomful of dead people - awesome!

Sword banging - excellent visual framework device thingy.

Slapstick punchline - simple, modest, effective.

synnerman
2006-03-30, 04:42 PM
As I was reading, the montage from West Side Story's "Tonight" kept going over and over in my mind.

Things are going to come to one uuuuuugly head.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-03-30, 04:50 PM
Things I loved:

- Xcccc! (Awwwwww. =))
- Lollipop!

I totally agree, very good sum up of the plot, reminds me of the end of the "Kill Xykon" plot......

titan_monarch
2006-03-30, 05:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't #300 TWO strips away, not one?

#298 - this one
#299 - one strip away
#300 - two strips away.

battleburn
2006-03-30, 05:09 PM
No we just had 298, so that means there is only 299 between 298 and 300.

And as a soundtrack I like "Clubbed to death"

Wikipedia wrote

"Clubbed to Death (kurayamino mix)" is a song on Rob Dougan's album Furious Angels, famous for being featured on The Matrix: Music from the Motion Picture."

ElfLad
2006-03-30, 05:28 PM
You realize that this strip means that everybody who has been predicting a Linear Guild cutaway since #270 is finally right?

And it was such a pain looking through eleven pages to make sure nobody had said that.

And I'm impressed that there has been no Miko debate yet.

Cuz I think that Miko should fall for being a polytheist. I'm willing to bet that at least one of the twelve gods is not Lawful Good and possibly even (gasp) evil. :P

n11
2006-03-30, 05:31 PM
So here's a question: When Miko asks to "see through the lies?" which lies do you think she has in mind? If she is thinking of the "badness" of the OOTS and asking for divine help in defeating them, I can understand her doing that. I can understand if she thinks that OOTS are evil, unlawful, rebellious, and have personally insulted her. (I don't agree with any of this, I'm just saying this is Miko's opinion on the subject). But does Miko's prayer implied that the OOTS lied to her in some way? And what, specifically, do you think she is referring to?

I can see how Miko praying to see through lies can be a great plot device, I agree with that. But I'm wondering what motivated her to do that in the first place?

Speculations, anyone? (I don't think they would be spoilers, since we are just discussing how Miko views past events).

Miko knows something isn't quite right. Shojo has put up a facade of being a dolt, and the OOTS are embarking on a journey to check out the gates, which is specifically not allowed from the perspective of the Sapphire guard.

The question is, what would Miko do when faced with the choice of choosing law or good, as it appears they are at odds with one another in this case.

Also, while I would like it very much, V doing something that nice for Roy would be more touching than funny, and while Rich is not above having a few touching moments here and there in his strip (Durkon's teary eye, for instance) the strip's been a little sentiment-heavy lately and I imagine he's eager to get back to meeting his quota of belly-laughs. So, I'm guessing whatever V's explanation is, it's something funny rather than something sweet.
Sweet stories can be told in funny ways, and this plot line (Celia and Roy) may be something that does not get revisited until comic number 452 or so.

Melnor
2006-03-30, 05:32 PM
Amazing comic, Giant!
(man, I've got to figure out new adjectives to describe how your comics are...)
I loved how it was incredibly dramatic with the sword becoming reforged, and the people still going about their duties--even the Linear Guild!--and, of course, you just HAD to ruin the whole dramatic moment with a joke, eh? :P

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-03-30, 05:36 PM
ps I think I already translated the the Crypto... um... I think x = a and c = h! (ok heavy sarcasm there)

Wow. I couldn't have done that myself. I have NO idea how you did that.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-03-30, 06:01 PM
Probably Varsuvius was done with her spells when she was helping Cielia, or she just dragged him/her out.

octopod
2006-03-30, 06:08 PM
V going shopping with Celia -- well, as mentioned, ze's shown willingness to discuss such frivolous things before. Either it's an elvish aestheticism thing, or it's just because V's a nice being, even if low-Charisma... either one seems a plausible explanation

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-03-30, 06:24 PM
This is the best strip in a while. Not even remotely saying the other's haven't been great too. This just had a little of everything I've been wanting. Belkar. Linear Guild. RoyxCelia. Miko. A Montage. Pie... wait... there was no pie. Okay, ALMOST everything I've been wanting :P

Gary_Schaper
2006-03-30, 06:24 PM
V going shopping with Celia -- well, as mentioned, ze's shown willingness to discuss such frivolous things before. Either it's an elvish aestheticism thing
Vaarsuvius is well aware that he's the designated metrosexual.

4thdimension
2006-03-30, 06:29 PM
Rich, I had a miserable day at work, and am inches away from quitting. Your comic gave me the laugh I so desperately needed.
Thank you.
-Marc-

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-03-30, 06:59 PM
I was really hoping the smith's blows would go "DOOM, DOOM, DOOM" like Surtur's work in Simoson's run on Thor. Ah, well. This was one of the better comics in a while. I really liked it.

redmind0
2006-03-30, 07:06 PM
Woo for plot

tyricm
2006-03-30, 07:45 PM
V going shopping with Celia -- well, as mentioned, ze's shown willingness to discuss such frivolous things before. Either it's an elvish aestheticism thing, or it's just because V's a nice being, even if low-Charisma... either one seems a plausible explanation

Well, lets look at Celia's other options.

• Roy - Potential Suitor. He can't help her.
• Elan - A. Out with Hinjo. B. Potential Suitor.
• Belkar - She does not like Belkar.
• Durkon - Heh. Yeah right. Armor yes, clothes no.
• Haley - A. Potential rival. B. Can't understand a damn thing she says.
• Hinjo - Out with Elan and a Potential Suitor. (Though I doubt he'd be sick of blue)

That leaves V. Now if Celia is also confused about V's gender, that gives her the option of V. Something that V appears to be practiced with from her conversations with Haley.

Waf
2006-03-30, 07:55 PM
I'm sure the gender ambiguity played a part in the decision to take V clothes shopping.

Also V tends to get a long with people so long as they respect him/er. Such as the only time V was furious with Roy was when Roy payed him/er the disrespect of not stopping the party to dehex him/er when s/he was lizarded.

Celia did save his/er life in court (technically she didn't but she still tried to) so I personally think V would be willing to go a little out of his/er way for Celia.

humanpylon
2006-03-30, 09:13 PM
So does anyone else think Nale holding a severed head is mildly disturbing yet really funny at the same time? Also is he just cleaning up after Thog or did say hell with it and join in the slaughter?

mec
2006-03-30, 09:16 PM
Elan's lollipop looks blatantly non-azure.

I wonder where he found a red lollipop in Azure City!

Is that why Hinjo looks miffed ... "man, I have to be seen with this non-color-coordinated nerd."

Athanatos
2006-03-30, 09:26 PM
By God, V helped Celia pick some clothing out! That's definitive proof that she's female! I have to rush over to the V's Gender Debate thread THIS INSTANT!

Tiggera
2006-03-30, 09:37 PM
I figure Miko prays like that every night.

Cirin
2006-03-30, 09:38 PM
Elan's lollipop looks blatantly non-azure.

I wonder where he found a red lollipop in Azure City!Well, they did establish when they first arrived that it is a big trading city, probably got it imported from somewhere.

infiniteviking
2006-03-30, 09:43 PM
That wrinkly sword, slowly being straightened throughout the montage (there's that word again!), is a perfect transition image.

Because everyone KNOWS elves, regardless of gender, have the best fashion sense! :)
Hahahahaha, you said it. Exactly my thoughts.

Vaarsuvius ROCKS. Deciphering the secrets of the universe one minute, dispensing fashion advice the next... truly a renaissance elf.

(I think I know who Celia's after! *dances* Where's the spoiler thread?)

Oooh, didn't expect to see Miko again so soon. Fantastic -- chilling image. She's genuinely scary, which is why I don't agree with the die-Miko-die folk: such a potent nemesis is hard come by.

Aaaah, the suspense.... Wonderful comic. Just wonderful.

Jaime
2006-03-30, 09:58 PM
I like the rhythm of this strip. It's a good storytelling device.

Nightfall
2006-03-30, 10:19 PM
"Ow..." ;D

I love it. Reminds me when my daughter tried to touch a lighted light bulb. She wanted to see if it was hot. She found out in a hurry. She also won't do it again. "The burnt hand teaches best..."

Solara
2006-03-30, 11:12 PM

ROFLMAO! :D You just won the award for best post in the entire thread with a mere eight words.

Holy_Knight
2006-03-30, 11:25 PM
This comic was truly great, all the more so because so much happened without anything really happening (if you know what I mean by that). Like everyone else, I truly enjoyed the montage, and laughed out loud at several panels. Also, one thing that makes this strip and the comic in general so great is the little details that Rich is so good about including. For instance, Elan getting his lollipop, and Miko being surrounded by exactly twelve candles in her prayer.

My favorite panel of all is the one with Haley--it's just so cute. :)

I agree, and like you, I don't think that her prayer was directed at anyone in particular. It seems to me to just be the prayer of a genuinely pious paladin. Now, that's not to say her request couldn't have some dire consequences if it's granted...

raven-gm
2006-03-31, 12:32 AM

Oh, yeah.

EDIT: oops, forgot you can't see my avi's ears anymore. Still an elf!

tomaO2
2006-03-31, 01:15 AM
Another good comic. I have been looking foreward to the sword being reforged for awhile. Huzza! I have been reading other people talking about it though and they seem to think that it's not good enough to be an "epic" weapon yet. I am not sure what that means exactly but I think that is a shame anyway. Roy's sword should be super powerful epic class weapon now so he can brag to the other warriors in the bar and stuff. :D

When the forger says the sword will glow "sometimes". Does this mean just that or does it mean the sword will glow whenever the undead comes near? I would prefer the latter option. It's always neat to have a proximity weapon/warning device but the way she said it is unclear.

Also, will the glowing affect demons like Sabine?

Baloo
2006-03-31, 01:28 AM
"Get his attention" - food for the Celia/Roy shippers that sprout up everywhere. One thing though: sylphs are fey, not elementals, so no genasi in the pipeline.
From WOTC's monster index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters):
Sylph; MM2; 192; Outsider, Small (Air, Extraplanar); CR 5

JessmanCA
2006-03-31, 01:56 AM
After I read the first panel of the second strip, I paused, read it again, and then burst out laughing for a good 2-3 minutes. Thanks Rich :D

wagemage
2006-03-31, 02:04 AM
Don't know if this is the right place, but how is my avatar? Just my first try, and I am not sure if I like it, but I think its OK for not being artistic. Anyone have some opinoins on it?
Wagemage

Spuddly
2006-03-31, 02:35 AM
Too bad there wasn't music to accompany that montage. It was pretty sweet.

mastroyo
2006-03-31, 02:53 AM
Too bad there wasn't music to accompany that montage. It was pretty sweet.

Something like Carmina Burana?

Or more like Ride of the Valkyries?

Maybe a bit of "Woke up this morning" Soprano's style.

Perhaps Rocky's Theme (the I, of course)

Austin Powers?

Or the classics movie-type "I will survive, Play that funky music white boy or That's amore? ??? :-[ ;D

Magus
2006-03-31, 04:40 AM
Brilliant, Giant! Simply brilliant!

I don't know where to begin, so I'll just agree with the love being passed around. Yes, this does feel like 'a book ending' strip- thanks to Elan. "No loose plot ends." Oh, Elan. Dear, sweet Elan. He just wouldn't be the same character we love if he didn't keep bringing fate down on the Order.

jackal59
2006-03-31, 04:47 AM
*sings*
Oh it takes a montage (montage)...

Best. Post. Ever.

team56th
2006-03-31, 05:26 AM
Great finish of another story arc... all I can say is 'it's great'

And... that green energy comes out when he wields the sword... it is just me or actually it reminds us of The Elder Scrolls series?

rosebud
2006-03-31, 05:33 AM
Also, will the glowing affect demons like Sabine? Once she's dead, it should have an effect. :D

Any other music choices that you think work?The music of Final Fantasy VII (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/ff7mid.html) is one of the things that came to mind -- the organs and percussion of Mako Reactor (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/sounds/midi/makoro.mid) or the Shinra Corporation (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/sounds/midi/shinra.mid).

Well, lets look at Celia's other options. (snip) That leaves V.Nah, there's always the randomly encountered dressmaker or shop owner. Or just herself talking to herself.

One thing it does take care of, though, is dealing with both Celia and V with just one panel. (Though hearing some of the spells V copied could also have been funny. :))

Oooh, didn't expect to see Miko again so soon. Fantastic -- chilling image. She's genuinely scary, which is why I don't agree with the die-Miko-die folk: such a potent nemesis is hard come by.If she follows her gods, she might be salvageable. The monkey might even turn her into a ninja samurai paladin monk! :)

And I'm impressed that there has been no Miko debate yet.And don't you go start starting one. :P

Miko knows something isn't quite right. Shojo has put up a facade of being a dolt, and the OOTS are embarking on a journey to check out the gates, which is specifically not allowed from the perspective of the Sapphire guard.If she's still in her room praying, what exactly does she know? Anyhow, only the Sapphire Guard has that outdated restriction. OOtS never made that oath, so there's no prohibition even if she did know what they are doing.

The question is, what would Miko do when faced with the choice of choosing law or good, as it appears they are at odds with one another in this case.I don't follow. That seems to be based on some assumptions I don't see shown by the story.

Sweet stories can be told in funny ways, and this plot line (Celia and Roy) may be something that does not get revisited until comic number 452 or so.You're being optimistic. :) Haley's been in love with Elan for over 200 strips and she still doesn't have him yet.

NorthSaber
2006-03-31, 07:22 AM
I never knew it was so easy to forge a +5 sword - from starmetal, no less, and with extra abilities even - I should try smithing sometime! ;)

Coffee_Dragon
2006-03-31, 08:39 AM
From WOTC's monster index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters):
Sylph; MM2; 192; Outsider, Small (Air, Extraplanar); CR 5

I be corrected. Apparently one of the first things you get in Google if you type in "sylph" and "medium" is an unofficial conversion of the sylph from previous editions.

Jonathan_Crane
2006-03-31, 09:37 AM
The question is, what would Miko do when faced with the choice of choosing law or good, as it appears they are at odds with one another in this case.

Lawful Good doesn't necessarily mean "adhering to the law." A Lawful Good character would respect local laws and traditions, but only on the condition that they be just. The most important notion of "lawful" in the game is that a "lawful" character lives by a code of conduct, is disciplined, etc. A true Paladin, even Miko (to my mind) would ALWAYS choose the good or benelovent course of action over the notion of following a law just because it's a law.

In regards to the Roy and Celia thing, I think it would be nice if Roy, after all the crap he's had to swallow, got some bootay. Unfortunately, I see a different outcome for this plot development...

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-03-31, 10:05 AM
I think it woiuld be much funnier to have Celia go after Elan. Haley would freak. Remember the sorcerer bandit chief?

Seonaid
2006-03-31, 10:34 AM
This was the best comic in a long time. That's not to say the others weren't good, of course, but I registered on the boards specifically to comment on 298. It was fantastic. I loved the pace. It was extremely cinematic. Thanks! ;D

Dark_Stalion
2006-03-31, 11:49 AM
Looks like they did eventualy run out of icecream. The bordom driven rampage seems to have happened at least.

Zozzle
2006-03-31, 11:52 AM
When the forger says the sword will glow "sometimes". Does this mean just that or does it mean the sword will glow whenever the undead comes near? I would prefer the latter option. It's always neat to have a proximity weapon/warning device but the way she said it is unclear.

I'm not sure on the etiquette around here, so I've attempted the spoiler-text route:
I'm curious to see what happens when Roy's dad and the sword get together...Roy's dad being dead and all.

Enno
2006-03-31, 11:56 AM
Did I miss this, or has noone stated the obvious thing here yet? It cannot be Elan - can you imagine V saying that Elan is sick of the colour blue? Why would he be? First, it's hard to imagine Elan being sick of anything. Second, he's out with Hinjo, who is also clad in blue, and seems to be a good friend. Third, I'm not even sure Elan can carry a grudge for Miko - in short, he is just too damn good-natured to be the person that V is talking about. By exclusion, since it certainly isn't Roy's dad, it's gotta be Roy himself.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-03-31, 12:29 PM
I overlooked it before, but Roy's line "so too shall I reforge my oath" is almost painfully corny. :p

Freeman333
2006-03-31, 12:32 PM
See, again, I'd love to think that way, but the "It has to be Roy--there's no one else" way of thinking is just too tempting and obvious, and it makes me scared that the Giant will pull something far less predictable out of his hat just to defy our expectations.

*Sigh*...And even if Roy and Celia do end up together, as n11 pointed out, it could be hundreds of strips before anything comes of it. Poor Roy...the laws of drama and comedy demand that he stay alone, so as not to interrupt his epic quest with something as trivial as hootchie-cootchie.

(Note: as sad as these thoughts make me, I am cheered up greatly by the opportunity to write out the words "hootchie-cootchie". I think I should type that at least once in every post I make, and I'll be the happiest little electronic persona on the entire Intarwub.)

n11
2006-03-31, 12:51 PM
I don't follow. That seems to be based on some assumptions I don't see shown by the story.

The law states that the Sapphire god must not "check up" on operational gates. But it is definitely a good thing to secure the safety of the planet's citizens if there is a threat. So law and good are at odds with one another.

The argument that good trumps law for a lawful good character is not always the case, I'd say it depends on the severity of each. I wouldn't recommend violating a culture's major law for a tiny amount of good. But I agree that the potential destruction of the planet trumps the deal made by the Crayola "fab five".

The_Blue_Sorceress
2006-03-31, 02:01 PM
*Sigh*...And even if Roy and Celia do end up together, as n11 pointed out, it could be hundreds of strips before anything comes of it. Poor Roy...the laws of drama and comedy demand that he stay alone, so as not to interrupt his epic quest with something as trivial as hootchie-cootchie.

Interesting item of trivia: It appears that Durkon is the only character amongst the members of the OotS to have scored a home run. After all, Elan and the sorceress were interrupted, and no one else seems to have had the opportunity.

-Blue

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-03-31, 02:14 PM
Wasn't Belkar out "whoring" a time or two? I can't recall specifically when. I could be remembering something from "On the Origin of PCs," too.

Darkspear
2006-03-31, 03:04 PM
Ten hours until 299! ;D

kradman
2006-03-31, 03:56 PM
as for ceilia maybe one of the lawyers?
as for roy's dad, he is not UNdead, he is dead.
as for the comic.. WOOHOOO...
thank you kindly,

please open the quicky mart sooner today?

Kedrot
2006-03-31, 04:14 PM
*sings*

Remind everyone what’s going on (what’s going on?)

(Montage…montage)

oh you beat me to it!!!! :'( All i could think of was the Team America Montage song

again, great comic

SabreGuy
2006-03-31, 05:11 PM
Interesting item of trivia: It appears that Durkon is the only character amongst the members of the OotS to have scored a home run. After all, Elan and the sorceress were interrupted, and no one else seems to have had the opportunity.

-Blue

I think that sounds right. One would assume that since V. is or was married that V would have gotten some at some point. (*chuckles at my awkward attempt to sidestep the V gender debate*) And as we all know, Roy's dad "got etherial" with Violet. But no other party members appear to have gotten jiggy with it on screen.

ElfLad
2006-03-31, 05:20 PM
Nale and Sabine were pretty heavily implied, since Sabine was sent to serve as concubine and advisor.

Freeman333
2006-03-31, 06:00 PM

*Snicker* ...Home Run...that makes me almost as happy as "hootchie-cootchie" does...ah, the many, many euphemisms we English speakers concoct...which is to say nothing of the many more the non-English speakers have come up with...*snicker*

Fillbert
2006-03-31, 06:37 PM
Soon? Oh yes... Very Soon !!!!!!!

Yea!!!! More OOTS vs LG!!!!!!!!

Dudukain
2006-03-31, 06:51 PM
Amazing comic, Giant!
(man, I've got to figure out new adjectives to describe how your comics are...)
I loved how it was incredibly dramatic with the sword becoming reforged, and the people still going about their duties--even the Linear Guild!--and, of course, you just HAD to ruin the whole dramatic moment with a joke, eh? :P

How about splendiforous? it's in the dictionary.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-31, 07:10 PM
*Snicker* ...Home Run...that makes me almost as happy as "hootchie-cootchie" does...ah, the many, many euphemisms we English speakers concoct...which is to say nothing of the many more the non-English speakers have come up with...*snicker*

The Sherpa people of Tibet/Nepal say "sauce-making"... ;D.

Let's change topics before 40,000 Modhammers descend on us...

Invariel
2006-03-31, 07:44 PM
The Orz say something about making the sauce as well... But I don't think they're talking about reproduction.

Hawkeye
2006-03-31, 08:21 PM
Ok, the tone of this "serious" thread is now subterranean because of the home run comment (and the others).....

edit: damned long words and their awkward spelling

Mal_the_Mad
2006-03-31, 09:24 PM
not awkward

sub-- under, below

terra, earth

terrane- rocky

so under rock.

AyuVince
2006-03-31, 09:58 PM

True, but there have been a lot of references to that particular topic in past strips (get it, "strips"? ;)). Haley's "He wants to bump uglies with the paladin" comment, Belkar's frequent use of the word "bone" as a verb or Celia's ex-boyfriend "slipping the wood" to a dryad... I guess the Giant is poking fun at the old cliché of gamers as dateless freaks who roleplay their fantasies in-character.

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-03-31, 10:07 PM
or just being funny

Darth_Cow
2006-03-31, 10:19 PM
Hey! Rampant speculation from a lurker! What if Haley might not be healable by Shojo's clerics so as an alternative favor she gets Shojo to get her dad freed?

EDIT: finding spoiler-y color

Solara
2006-03-31, 10:31 PM
As for Celia...has anyone speculated whether she's trying to get Shojo to notice her? Hey, Celia's an ambitious girl, and Shojo's the single leader of an entire city who's likely to kick of old age before long...it's a match made in the Upper Planes! :D

(Okay, seriously, I'm pretty sure she's after Roy, but I've been amused by all the rampant speculation and thought it would be fun if I tried it too...)

Waf
2006-03-31, 10:36 PM
It's funny cause if Shojo did die, Hinjo would become the leader, and from what little we have seen between him and Miko, I bet Miko would be mad as heck.

As far as Celia goes, it has to be Roy, unless giant is being deceptive. Which is very possible, he is a good enough writer to make all the evidence point at one outcome and blindside us with something different.

rosebud
2006-03-31, 10:49 PM
The law states that the Sapphire god must not "check up" on operational gates.There's no law; there's an oath. And it only applies to the Sapphire Guard. Shojo explicity preferred (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=290) the greater good over his sworn word but he had no one whom he trusted who felt likewise. The OOtS never swore such an oath, so there's no problem on their part. They thus provided the convenient loophole around Shojo's problem.

As Celia said (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=278), "Hey, I don't make the crazy rules. I just twist them to my purpose."

But it is definitely a good thing to secure the safety of the planet's citizens if there is a threat. So law and good are at odds with one another.I agree with you that there is an issue between the Lawful Stupid view of the paladins and that of the Greater Good. I said, "Huh. I don't understand" because this issue applies to Shojo (who already explained his choice) not Miko (who you were discussing). There is no indication to date where one can categorically state that Miko has knowledge that OOtS is going to the gates. There are several pieces of evidence (that Belkar's imprisonment is faked (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=295) and that Shojo could not send the palaidns (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=290) to check) to suggest she does not. Make sense?

Solara
2006-03-31, 11:24 PM
There's no law; there's an oath. And it only applies to the Sapphire Guard. Shojo explicity preferred the greater good over his sworn word but he had no one whom he trusted who felt likewise. The OOtS never swore such an oath, so there's no problem on their part. They thus provided the convenient loophole around Shojo's problem.

If the oath doesn't apply to Shojo, and there's no problem with him sending the OotS, why was he at such pains to keep the whole thing secret from Miko and the other paladins?

I assume he would have taken the oath, actually, since he's the leader of the Sapphire Guard, and since I'm pretty sure Soon wouldn't have transferred ownership over to Shojo's father without seeing that all the secret lore and oaths were transferred too.

rosebud
2006-03-31, 11:51 PM
If the oath doesn't apply to Shojo, and there's no problem with him sending the OotS, why was he at such pains to keep the whole thing secret from Miko and the other paladins?Because it does (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=290). He just happens to think that "it is foolish to risk universal destruction for a promise to people I've never met".

As far as Celia goes, it has to be Roy, unless giant is being deceptive. I have it on good authority that it's actually Mr. Banjo.

Oh, shucks. It's not the first of April yet in the U.S. :D

Scion_of_the_Light
2006-04-01, 12:20 AM
The Sherpa people of Tibet/Nepal say "sauce-making"... ;D.

Let's change topics before 40,000 Modhammers descend on us...

Congrats for making me laugh out out for a minute or two. I don't often do that...

What if...Celia wanted Mr. Scruffy? I mean...seriously, let's stop being overspeculative.

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-04-01, 12:25 AM
or...Lord Sojo? Or one of the spooky wizard's lawyers?

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-04-01, 01:57 AM
Something like Carmina Burana?

Or more like Ride of the Valkyries?

Maybe a bit of "Woke up this morning" Soprano's style.

Perhaps Rocky's Theme (the I, of course)

Austin Powers?

Or the classics movie-type "I will survive, Play that funky music white boy or That's amore? ??? :-[ ;D

Or how about Richard Strauss's "Thus Spake Zarathustra." I think it would fit well with the comic. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Coffee_Dragon
2006-04-01, 08:17 AM
What if Celia wanted the spotlights? Or the chair?

Or the floor?