PDA

View Full Version : Solaria (IC)



Pages : [1] 2

Bronz
2007-10-06, 09:41 PM
One by one the group arrives at "By the Book", the tavern owned by the Captain of the Moonstars. The barkeep is the same old man that was there 3 years ago, and he greets each member as they enter, having the comely barmaid hand each their favorite drink.

The bar is approximately half full, with mostly laborers filling the seats. There is one table that seems to have adventurers as well, as they seem to be the best armed and ordering the finest drinks. The mood is lively, and entertainment is just arriving.

There is one day left until the 3 year anniversary, and the only member missing of the Moonstars is the Captain himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a day left until the Captain is supposed to arrive. Each of you may do as you will, or merely wait out the time. The inn is located in the Merchant District of Mysticae so many shops and the like are in close proximity.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-06, 11:31 PM
Wilarmis

Grinning, Wilarmis takes a seat at the table, an inkpen behind his pointy right ear. "It's been a long time," he says, with a voice much more open and certain than one he would use with a stranger. Indeed, Wilarmis is quite shy, but in the face of danger or his friends, he is able to more openly show his emotions.
Wilarmis: the definition of not an athlete. Skinny he is. Wilarmis: the definition of a nerd. Literally a databank of knowledge, any basic question asked to him can be answered in a matter of seconds. Solve an equation? Done! Give me this famous figure's biography? Done! What are some common prayer methods? Done! And most of all, how does this magical symbol affect the outcome of this type of spell? Done!
You could say Wilarmis is half-crazy. Though he really is not, he somehow likes creeping people out and making the think he's insane through his foolish smiling, clueless blinking, and random remarks in third-person that are not on topic. Unless, of course, he knows them well. And you know what he always calls himself?

The Wizard.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-07, 12:11 AM
The Harpist

The Harpist is not in the common room. He is not in the inn at all, as far as anyone knows. The only clue that he might be around here at all is that one of the doors to a private room upstairs is locked, and the innkeeper knows that someone left a few coins on the bench and took the key to that room while his back was turned.

More often than Wilarmis would call himself the Wizard, the Harpist calls himself the Harpist. He is known by no other name, and there isn't much aside from that alias that even his companions would know about him. Sometimes, especially when it is most convenient or when other people are watching, the Harpist is blind. It's extremely difficult to tell whether or not he really is blind, because of the extraordinarily good act that he puts up.
What is known about the Harpist, is that he is rather good at playing the harp. So good, perhaps that he can seemingly turn the music into deadly blasts of energy that takes up various shapes and uses. What is also known, is that the Harpist always maintains a business-like personality. If he was told to show up at By The Book tomorrow, then he will reveal himself at the moment of dawn tomorrow. The Harpist seems to treat every interaction like a business deal, from "I kill this guy, you give me money," to "You mind your own business, and I won't permanently deny you the functionality of your heart."

Maybe it's this impersonal attitude that makes the Harpist so reliable. Or unreliable, depending on the deal.

Common Morning Routine as follows: Invoke Beguiling Influence. The Harpist is always assumed to have this 24-hour-long invocation active, providing +6 to his Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.
Bwa-ha-ha, Untrained diplomacy of +20.
That is all.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 12:17 AM
Elzaon

Elzaon smiles at the bartender and winks at the bar maid as she hands him his aged DLB. He sips it and smiles, the drink a remembrance of the old days. He sets it down on the table across from Wilarmis. He does not say a word, but simply sits down. His face is tanned, even for a drow, and his hair is long and unkempt. His armor fits him like a second skin and shows the toned muscles he spent 3 years earning. He lets a half-smile dance across his face as he addresses Wilarmis.

Greetings, old friend. It's been far too long. I trust you are well?

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-07, 01:08 AM
Wilarmis

Wilarmis nods slowly, contemplating on who-knows-what.

Neftren
2007-10-07, 07:13 AM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus strolls into "By the Book" and approaches the party. He appears slightly flustered, but he walks over to the party and nods to Wilarmis and Elzaon. You can see the slight shimmer of some sort of chainmail under his woodsman's tunic, and you can tell that Supernal Clarity has been used quite a lot since the three years apart.

"Well, the Captain will be back soon, I wonder what we'll do once he's back?"

Pelemaeus signals the bartender, intending to order some sort of drink.

Bronz
2007-10-07, 02:57 PM
DM

Pelemaeus is greeted by the Bartender, and his favorite drink is served to him.

Most of the day goes by uneventfully, with different people drinking and eating throughout the day. The only group that remains consistent is the adventurers, bored as they seem. As the day drags on they seem to drink more and more, and are apparently getting a bit rowdy.

The evening meal comes and goes, and the inn surprisingly gets LESS crowded when night falls. There are few commoners about, and it seems all is settling into a peaceful evening.

Until, that is, a drunken human from the adventurers' table feels like shouting out. They had been hooting and hollering all night, but this is the first time he directs something towards our fearless group...

He shouts out, directly at Pelemaeus.
*So I didn't know we were letting Elf wannabes in here. I've heard some stories told, but in person you look sillier than scary. Hell, let's turn out the lights. I'd love to see your teeth glow!*

The rest of them laugh and laugh, although what was said wasn't really funny. Seems as though they are a bit drunk.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 03:16 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon's eyes flash with anger and he stands up to defend his friend.

Oh. If you've got a problem with elf "wannabes" maybe you should take a look at me. I'm a elf, but I'm also not. Do I look like a person you want to mess with?

Although he's only about 5"4, he seems bigger, and his eyes flash a look that clearly says "Sit down, and shut up".

Bronz
2007-10-07, 03:49 PM
DM

The table consists of 3 people, the human who just spoke up who wears two short swords at his sides, as well as some light armor; a halfling that seems to be quite jovial, yet wears some sort of symbol around his neck with a mace at his side; as well as an elf, who like many elves carries a staff and seems to fit in perfectly in this environment. It is he who speaks next.

You sir, are no elf. You have the frame of one of my kind, but the rest of you does not match one such as I. And if you are pretending to be an elf, you should know that we are certainly not ones to be trifled with ourselves!

After his outburst, he goes back to his drink.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-07, 03:53 PM
Wilarmis

"A foolish thing for one such as you to say," mumbles Wilarmis. "I bet that any of we could take you all out without getting a scratch on any of us. Then again, I'd rather not kill you, so, meh." His voice is riddled with anger, his hatred of discrimination of his own kind let loose. In the sinister language of the Demons, he says, "You should be smart enough not to mess with us." Slowly, he takes out a single coin from his pocket, and mumbles some magical words1. He aims the coin at the human, listening intently to what he has to say, both verbally and in his mind.

1Detect Thoughts. Will DC: 21. Spellcraft DC: 17.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 04:02 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon's face shows a bitter smile as he addresses the elf.

Not one of your kind? No. I am above you. I am a Drow. A type of elf that was around long ago. Your "kind" killed mine over 1000 years ago because you were afraid of us. Of what we could do. Of how in the future we could destroy you. So before we had time to become a great race, you destroyed us. I'm a cleric, so I'll give a few seconds to pray to whatever god you worship before I kill you.

The other party members will notice that Elzaon is in "that mood". The pure, raging evil.

Bronz
2007-10-07, 04:31 PM
DM

With the mentioning of killing, a few of the patrons that were left seem to leave some coins on the table and take their leave. With the speaking of the demon tongue, which all have either heard a Wizard speak or in passing, a few more walk out the door. The rest leave when the words of the arcane are loosed. Many if not all of them do not know what it means, but living in a city full of the Arcane makes you weary.

The human peers up, seemingly aware of an intrusion in his mind but unable to control it. The halfling next to him notices the casting, and casts a spell of his own onto the human.

The elf, on the other hand, seems to take utmost offense at the casting. He speaks, and actually stands out of his chair to do so.

*You pretenders DARE to assault my friend's dignity with such an intrusion! I will show you the wrath of a TRUE Elf!*

The elf then begins to cast his own spell, and after a few short seconds disappears.

The old man behind the bar merely sighs, and goes into the back room. The troublemakers of the Moonstars (which include almost everyone) realize he is going to go get something to protect the inn, though every time he goes back there he returns with something different.


Detect Thoughts result

The human is obviously drunk, as his thoughts are rather random. He begins thinking of skewering Palemeaus, then about taking the beautiful barmaid upstairs (she's quite on the ugly side, actually), then on how elves are so lithe, and wished he had a female one to play with. It seems at any moment he could pull a weapon or merely sit back down and drink some more.


Spells that were cast

Anyone with a Spellcraft of 16 knows which two spells were cast. The halfling cast Protection from Evil and the Elf cast invisibility.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 04:45 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon smiles. Muttering a few words under his breath, he casts Invisibility Purge.

Oh, I'm sorry. Were you trying to hide? Now stop hiding, and face me like a true elf!

He then draws his mace.

Bronz
2007-10-07, 04:59 PM
DM

With the casting of invisibility purge, everyone present catches the Elvin Wizard attempting to sneak out the front door. Apparently he almost made it without being seen, as he is just steps from the portal.

After being purged of his invisibility, the Wizard certainly seems deflated and offers one last piece of advice for his comrades before fleeing in cowardice.
*Everyone for themselves!*, and he runs out the door.

With this, the halfling at the table smacks his forehead, and wonders not for the first time what he is doing with this troupe. The human however, seems to have a different idea.

With the mace being drawn, the human reacts quite quickly, standing from his chair and drawing both of his short swords simultaneously. In a seemingly very sober manner, he attains a fighting stance.
*How unfair of you to draw a weapon in a bar fight. Shame shame. Maybe I will teach you and your friends a lesson after all.*


Detect Thoughts

With the possibility of a fight at hand, the thoughts of this human turn coldly calculating, and apparently devoid of any alcohol influence. It seems to be his intent to knock the Lesser Drow down, and stab him where it hurts.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-07, 05:02 PM
Wilarmis

Wilarmis sighs. "Here we go again." And at that, he draws his Wand of Magic Missile. "Watch out, Elzaon," he says in Abyssal. "Seems that the human wants to hurt you."

[roll0]

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 05:15 PM
Elzaon

Coward. Mutters Elzaon as he sees the elf leaving.

So it does. No matter.

Elzaon casts harm, then (assuming he's within 30 ft of the human) walks over and tries to touch him.
(Melee touch attack) [roll0]

(If it hits, it does 130 damage, or 65 if he makes a DC 21 will save)
Initiative [roll1]

Bronz
2007-10-07, 06:01 PM
DM
DM Tracks (no peeking!)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]






Map!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/Bronz1369/ByTheBookInn.jpg

Bronz
2007-10-07, 06:08 PM
DM
It somehow turns out that the rogue is quicker than everyone, which is quite an amazing feat considering the amount of speed that this party possesses.

He lunges forward, apparently charging at and attempting to gut Elzaon. He catches Elzaon unawares, but is unable to pierce the magical deflection, though it was a very close call.

Human's attack

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]
He now stands right next to Elzaon, in square K5. Pel is allowed an AoO from the human charging through his threatened squares.


Next up is Elzoan.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 06:20 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon takes a 5-foot step backwards and casts Harm. He steps forwards 5 feet, and tries to touch the rogue.

(I already have the attack and damage. Check my last post.)

Neftren
2007-10-07, 06:36 PM
Pelemaeus

"Here we go again." Pelemaeus sighs and draws his rapier. "I may not look like an elf of these sorts, but I come from a city of giants and dragons, I have no fear of petty humans such as you. Especially when they're drunk, and cannot decide whether to hit like a man, or snuggle up with that not so cute barmaid.

Initiative Roll: [roll0]

Ghost Blade Maneuver Attack: [roll1]
Ghost Blade Maneuver Damage: [roll2]

Death in the Dark Maneuver Attack: [roll3] Edit: -5 for the Second Attack. So 22.
Death in the Dark Maneuver Damage: [roll4]
--Target must now make a will save of DC 20.
----If the target fails the will save, he takes another [roll5] Damage.
----If the target makes the save, he takes another [roll6] Damage instead.

Pelemaeus will attack with Supernal Clarity using first the Shadow Hand Maneuver 'Ghost Blade' and if he hits, he will cause the targeted human who happens to be next to Elzaon to be flat footed. Since the opponent is flat footed, Pelemaeus will follow through with the Shadow Hand Maneuver 'Death in the Dark' just for kicks :smallcool:.

"I really do hate cracking skulls. Why can't we all just get along anyway? Oh wait, the guy's drunk. Excuse me."

As for my Attack of Opportunity, I don't believe I am granted one, since I didn't have my weapon drawn, and I don't have Quick Draw.

Bronz
2007-10-07, 07:05 PM
DM

The human, after trying to skewer one of his new foes, gets skewered himself. Acting with lightning quick speed, Pel lights up the ill-fated human. He digs Supernal Clarity deep into the rogue's thigh, although he seems to shake off the after effects.

Shortly after this however, Elzaon walks up and dooms the poor man with the power of death itself, sapping all the life energies from him. As the poor man slouches to the floor, Pel takes the opportunity to finish him off, lightly punching Clarity through the mans throat, spewing blood everywhere.

At this point, the halfling at the table laughs uncontrollably, unable to maintain concentration on anything.

A few short moments later the bartender comes through the doors into the main room, holding a very strange device. He doesn't use it, at least not now, with a look of shock upon his tired face.

*You all have become a bit more prolific in dealing death since last I saw you. I indeed hope you remember that the guards around here are fairly prompt if a problem is reported. If you could, for me, clean this mess up a bit.*

He then turns around, and seems to place the device nearer to him by the bar, in a small jewelry box and mutters to himself how things will just never change.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 07:10 PM
Elzaon

His evil rage ended, Elzaon looks almost embarressed standing over the dead human. He quietly bends down and mutters a sendoff into the afterlife. He then begins looting the human. When he's done he takes the human by the chest and looks to the innkeep with a "Where do you want him?" look.

Neftren
2007-10-07, 07:10 PM
Pelemaeus

"Oh my, what a waste of a person... well, we might as well dispose of him, if we're to avoid the wrath of the police. I mean we may not be entirely altruistic, although I have no intention of going all out with a platoon of guards..."

After this statement, Pelemaeus picks up the dead body and drags him out the door, to dump him in the waste heap. As he leaves, he calls out to one of his fellow party members, "Hey, I'll take care of the body, and you get rid of the bloodstains."

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 07:16 PM
((Assume I left him after taking his stuff then, so Pelemaeus could take the body))

Elzaon grabs a mop (I assume there's one around somewhere) and cleans up the blood.

Neftren
2007-10-07, 07:30 PM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus returns from outside, with a blank expression on the face. He approaches the Barkeep and apologizes to the Barman for the mess, tossing some 4 coppers to him for the drink and the mess.

He then returns to the table, and sits back down, as if nothing had happened just a few moments before.

Bronz
2007-10-07, 07:43 PM
DM

The halfling finally stops laughing as the blood is being swept up. At about the same time, he takes a pouch off his hip, tests its weight by tossing it slightly, and sets it on the table. He then simply walks out, still chuckling to himself.

((This assumes no one stops him. If that is the case, do let me know.))

The body is easily disposed of, though some amount of patience is needed because no one wants to be carrying a dead body with people around.

Old man bartender seems to be happy enough that the mess is being taken care of, and sends the barmaid to gather the pouch left by the halfling.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 08:01 PM
((What did I find while looting?))

Neftren
2007-10-07, 08:07 PM
((What did I find while looting?))

I'd appreciate if that went into a spoiler or more appropriately, the OOC thread. Pelemaeus

"From the looks of that man, he probably wasn't the wealthiest of people, although I could be mistaken,"mumbled Pelemaeus under his breath..."What a pity, an innocent life gone to waste.

He turns to Elzaon and says, "What did you find anyway? Perhaps he was richer than I assumed him to be?"

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 08:51 PM
Elzaon

2 Shortswords, a dagger, and some coins.
He casts Detect Magic on the three weapons.

Bronz
2007-10-07, 09:29 PM
DM

Time Passes...

Each party member is afforded their own room, and each presumedly spent the night there. The next morning is much like any day, and the inn seems to be bustling with activity with merchants, laborers, and their ilk, all wanting a good hearty meal before the days work. Last night's bloody business apparently has been kept quiet, as there isn't even a rumor floating around inside the inn.

During breakfast, a small...man it could be, walks in and looks around. Apparently not seeing what he wanted to see, approaches the barkeep.

He hands the barkeep a rolled up parchment of some type, and tells him to give that to Captain Myus when he arrives, although this man apparently expected him to be here already. The strange figure then turns around and walks right out of the inn.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-07, 10:16 PM
Wilarmis

Wilarmis is sitting in his room, polishing his Wand, finishing up his breakfast. He then starts studying his Spellbook. He's preparing more utility spells than person-killing spells today.

Today's Spells:



2 Detect Magic
2 Read Magic

2 Reduce Person
2 Ray of Enfeeblement
1 Shield
1 Grease

2 See Invisibility
3 Detect Thoughts
1 Invisibility

1 Phantom Steed
1 Dispel Magic
1 Slow
1 Haste
1 Ray of Exhaustion
1 Mage Armor, Greater [CA] (25 GP)

1 Dimension Door
1 Remove Curse
1 Confusion
2 Burning Blood [CA]

2 Dominate Person
1 Permanency
1 Prying Eyes

1 True Seeing
1 Analyze Dweomer
1 Mislead

1 Teleport, Greater
1 Arcane Sight, Greater

Raistlin1040
2007-10-07, 10:28 PM
Elzaon
Elzaon sits in his room, getting his spells.

Today's spells: Same as on CS.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-07, 10:30 PM
Dar' Sunnova Brackin' Frickin'!
*Shoots Having-To-Go in the face*

The Harpist

And the Harpist is in the common room of the inn/tavern. He came downstairs at the first sign of dawn, and picked a spot in the area close to the Hearth to sit down.
And he waits patiently for the others to rise.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-07, 11:57 PM
Wilarmis

Wilarmis comes down into the common room, and sees The Harpist. "Hrm, so that's where Mr. Harp-y is." Wilarmis walks up to him and pokes him. "Now I'm bored, I'm going to go -- "
*logs out*

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-08, 12:13 AM
The Harpist

The Harpist doesn't look at Wilarmis' exact direction when he is poked, more a little to the left as though he isn't quite sure where the wizard actually is.
"You should know well my stance on any personal physical contact, Wilarmis." the man says with absoluteness, having guessed the voice of the elf. Indeed, loss of entire limbs is expected for those who touch the Harpist. "The slight is forgiven, however, in the spirit of reunion." There is no spirit whatsoever in the human's voice.

He will remain in his seat for the entire duration of the day and its accompanying night, unless prodded into a different course of action.

Bronz
2007-10-08, 08:23 AM
DM

Time Passes...again
In the middle of the next day, another man comes through the door of By the Book. This one looks taller, and slimmer than the other, but is dressed in very similar garb (a simple black robe). He strides forward and asks the bartender of the whereabouts of Myus, is told that he has not returned yet, and frantically looks around the room. In desperation, he asks the bartender who takes contracts for the Moonstars in his absence, and with the bartender not knowing (it would have been Myus' brother), he simply shakes his head. The bartender then goes on to point out The Harpist that is sitting alone at one table by the hearth, and the other table that has the rest of you, waiting.

*Well, there they are. Ask them yourself. Just try not to insult them...for my sake.*

The strange man then walks over to the table with the strange elves. He gives a slight nod in respect and goes on to state his business...sort of.

*Who..who should I be talking to?*

Neftren
2007-10-08, 08:32 AM
Pelemaeus

"Well, that'd depend on a few answers. To start, who are ye lookin' for? To end, why should we not gut you on the spot? Or, if you're looking to join the Moonstars, well ye'll have to wait until the Cap'n returns."

Pelemaeus shifts, so that Supernal Clarity is well within reaching distance yet revealed to the man. From his expression though, you can tell he is not after a fight, merely to avoid a bloody mess. He did not like cleaning up that body.

Bronz
2007-10-08, 10:50 AM
DM

The man drops his hood and looks directly at Pel. He has a fairly pale complexion and black/brown hair left unkempt. What really gets Pel's attention are his eyes however, and Pel is immediately drawn to them like a moth towards flame. After an instant though, Pel draws himself out of it, and finds that he successfully fought off an intrusion to his mind. He has probably done this many times to Wil before, so the feeling is rather famaliar.

Having seen this reaction, that man speaks again.
*Hmmm, interesting. I see why my master wants you. To answer your questions, in order they were asked. One, I am looking for Captain Myus, and seeing as he is not here any Moonstar will do. Two, you could certainly "gut" me, but I fear it will do you no good, so you can decide that on your own. Three, I have no want or need to join the Moonstars.

Whether you like me or not is of no concern. What is of concern is my master's wishes, and he wishes to speak to all of you.*

The strange man then slowly puts his hand inside his robe, and draws out a scroll. The scroll looks strangely familiar to the one that was left just two days prior.

Please, do stop by.

With that, the man turns on his heels and seems about to walk out, though he hesitates just for a moment.

//Unless interupted, the man walks out of the inn.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-08, 01:59 PM
The Harpist

Ignoring that flighty person who just left, The Harpist suddenly stands up and, with his staff guiding his way around the tables, makes his way to the barkeep's counter.
He says to the barkeep quite simply but while not quite looking at him, "A package was dropped off earlier yesterday from someone claiming to seek Captain Myus. I require it."

Bronz
2007-10-08, 02:06 PM
DM

The barkeep simply replies,

*Here you go, though that was meant for Captain Myus. Seeing as he hasn't quite arrived yet I don't think he'll mind, though.*

The package is a piece of paper, rolled up to fit neatly in a scroll case. It is sealed with a black sealing wax that is stamped with a plain circle, no insignia whatsoever.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-08, 02:08 PM
The Harpist

The Harpist breaks the seal on the paper and opens it, runs his hand over the writing, then frowns and walks over to where the others are sitting.
"Read it for us," he asks the closest one to him.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-08, 05:51 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon takes the paper, looking a bit cautious, and reads it.

Bronz
2007-10-08, 06:28 PM
Elzoan picks up the piece of paper, and begins to read out in Abyssal. Myus...it reads, and then the inn shakes. A massive explosion of force begins from the paper, exploding in Elzoan's face. Those around him dive for cover, as the ground, table, and the scroll are completely destroyed, throwing splinters all about the room.

After the explosion, the room falls quiet, and every single patron simply gets up, and leaves.

@Elzoan

You take [roll0] points of force damage.


@All those immediately around him

Reflex save for half vs. DC 17. Take full or half of [roll1] force damage.


@Those with Spellcraft DC 18

An explosive runes just went off.

Neftren
2007-10-08, 06:51 PM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus dodges out of the way, far faster than you would think he could move. He rolls, flips down a table and takes cover behind it, listening to the explosion tear apart the room.

After the deafening rumbles of the explosion die down, he slowly pokes his head up, wondering what exactly had just happened.

Bronz
2007-10-08, 07:02 PM
DM

The bartender, after ducking behind the sturdy bar, peaks his head up as well.
*I guess 3 years of peace and quiet was enough, *sigh**

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-08, 07:55 PM
Wilarmis

[roll0] vs 17

Wilarmis had nearly reached cover, but was too late the explosion had already caught up to him. "...ouch. It seems that one of my childhood friend's1 favorite spells has been just set off." Wilarmis pokes his wounds and winces in pain. "I think some healing could be used at the moment. Stupid Explosive Runes." He looks around at his fellow teammates. "You all okay?"

(( Speaking of spells, keep it up with all those spells in spoilers. Wilarmis just happens to have a +27 bonus on Spellcraft, and has a subconscious habit of identifying every spell he hears or sees. ))

Hit Points: 39/52

Bigmac
2007-10-08, 08:15 PM
Marcus comes rushing down the stairs when he hears the explosion go off. He's dressed in his brilliantly shiny armor with his sword strung across his back, ready for action. Jumping down past the final few steps he lands gracefully on his feet and rushes over to the group. "Nasty bit of buisnes I take it? Glad to see you made it Wil, I'd have sorely missed that noggin of yours if you hadn't." Looking at the rest of the group and taking stock of the situation he asks, "So, anyone remember pissing in a mage's tankard?"

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-08, 08:29 PM
Wilarmis

"Good to see you too, Marcus." Wilarmis nods to him, and winces in pain again. He then turns to Pelemaeus. "I wonder if that other scroll is rigged as well. Arcane Sight!"

Raistlin1040
2007-10-08, 09:31 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon took the brunt of the explosion and looks to be in a lot of pain. He casts Cure Critical Wounds on himself.

[roll0]

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-08, 10:08 PM
Wilarmis

"That second scroll has... hrm... three? No, two layers to it..." Wilarmis stares at the scroll, his eyes still glowing blue. "They're minor auras, one's divination, one's transmutation. I wonder what they are? I have nothing better to do with today's spells, and the day's nearly over anyways, so I've really got nothing to lose. I need to be able to see the scroll, please."

Supposing that Pelemaeus hands over the scroll willingly, Wilarmis will take out a small lens of sapphire set in a small, golden hoop. He'll then cast Analyze Dweomer and stare at the scroll.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-08, 10:23 PM
The Harpist
66/78 hp

He could not have possibly known that the piece of paper was trapped, but the Harpist is rather pleased that he did pass the death trap to someone else.
Still means that he's hurt, though.
"A pleasant start. What did you find about the other scroll?"

Raistlin1040
2007-10-08, 10:48 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon is a bit irked about the last scroll.

How about you open this one Harper?

(Harper is his nickname for the Harpist. Calling someone "The Harpist" or even "Harpist" seems weird to me)

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-08, 11:36 PM
Wilarmis

"Don't open it yet, Harp-y. It seems that the scroll is biased: a contingent Erase spell triggered by a Detect Alignment spell. In other words, it's writing will disappear if someone the scroll doesn't like reads it. I might be able to do something about it. Dispel Magic!" Wilarmis waves his hands around.

[roll0]

Neftren
2007-10-09, 08:42 AM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus hands over the scroll.

"Wait, before you attempt to dispel any magic on it... I wonder if the scroll is triggered by a verbal command? Would it still explode in our faces if we just read it without speaking aloud?"

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-09, 01:11 PM
The Harpist Bwa-ha-ha, nobody gets the reference. Excellent.

The Harpist looks agitated as he cracks his neck slowly.

"Just because one piece of paper is trapped doesn't mean that the other is. That message boy said to 'stop by,' his master's place without giving an address. There is an address in there, not a trap.
And even if it is a trap, the last trap was hardly impressive." He smiles. A trap that isn't fatal isn't a decent trap at all.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-09, 03:59 PM
Wilarmis

"The scroll will not explode or otherwise damage any of us. Again, the writing on scroll will disappear if ready by somebody that it doesn't like. Or, somebody that isn't allied to whoever this scroll is keyed to." Wilarmis pokes the scroll. "Either it's for us, or it's for someone else who plans on disguising themselves as one of us." Wilarmis starts to pace back and forth, looking downwards, left land on chin, and the rest of the Moonstars knows he's about to go on a lecture-rampage-thing.

"We have a few choices of what to do here. The first one is we open the scroll and read it right now. Our second option is to wait and see if anybody comes to pick up the scroll. The third option is to let me try dispelling the two spells again tomorrow."
"The former choice, namely opening the scroll and reading it now, carries the highest amount of risk. We have a, oh, sixty or seventy percent chance that the scroll will not disappear, erm, the writing on the scroll, that is. On the smaller chance's side, the scroll's writing disappears and we don't know what it says.
"The second choice is also a bit risky. What would happen in a full party of opponents enter and try to kill us for the scroll? Then again, that is very unlikely, so never mind. It takes time. Obviously. We are going to wait. And where the heck is Mr. Captain guy right now?
"Erm, yeah. Third choice I favor the most. Because it deals with my magic, of course. And because it carries the least risk of anything bad happening. I just try to dispel the magic a few times, poof! and the scroll is ours to read."

Wilarmis stops pacing.

"........"

Wilarmis stares at the Harpist for a moment.

"Gah, what the heck, just open it and read it. Sheesh."

Bigmac
2007-10-09, 04:08 PM
"Of course we open it now. Give it here." Marcus grabs the scroll and smiles. "What's the worst that could happen? If it disappears, we say good riddance and grab a bite to eat and share a few tales."

With that Marcus opens the scroll and begins to read it silently where the others can see.

Bronz
2007-10-09, 04:14 PM
The seal on the scroll easily breaks, much like the last time. Marcus begins to try and read it...but finds out he does not understand the writing on the page.

Nothing seems to happen to the scroll.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-09, 04:18 PM
Wilarmis

Watching, Wilarmis tries to make heads or tails of the writing.

Bronz
2007-10-09, 04:26 PM
DM

Wil tries reading over Marcus's shoulder, with success. It was indeed in Abyssal and the writing doesn't seem to go away.

The note reads:

@Bitz

Myus...and those who follow you,
My old friend, the time has come again for my need of your services. These past 200 years have been long, but the patience will be worth it. Bring your band to me, and we shall discuss what is to be done...and the price of course.

The letter is signed not with a name, but with a mark. Inside a circle, 4 lines are drawn parallel to each other from top right to bottom left. In between each is a symbol of an element...air, water, earth, and finally air.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-09, 04:29 PM
Wilarmis



Myus...and those who follow you,
My old friend, the time has come again for my need of your services. These past 200 years have been long, but the patience will be worth it. Bring your band to me, and we shall discuss what is to be done...and the price of course.

The letter is signed not with a name, but with a mark. Inside a circle, 4 lines are drawn parallel to each other from top right to bottom left. In between each is a symbol of an element...air, water, earth, and finally air.


Wilarmis first reads this out loud in the language of the Demons, but then realizes that he was and repeats it in Common.

Bigmac
2007-10-09, 04:39 PM
Marcus seems only slightly disappointed that the writing didn't dissappear. "Well, does the thing have any directions?"

Raistlin1040
2007-10-09, 09:48 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon tries to connect the symbol with a religious meaning.

[roll0]
Knowledge Religion Check

Neftren
2007-10-10, 08:34 AM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus attempts to see if he knows anything else about the scroll, the symbol and anything connected to it throughout history:

Knowledge: History Check - [roll0]

"Since it was addressed to the Captain, and the other scroll exploded in our face, I must conclude that one scroll is from one faction, and the other scroll is from another faction, and they are somehow warring with each other. If that is the case, we must have fought with these people before, since they obviously know the Captain, although I cannot recall at the moment whether we have actually fought with them..."



Your knowledge of history shows you the importance of this symbol, as it has been involved in every major war this world has ever seen, most notably the Great Planar War about 1000 years ago. Each time this symbol has been found or heard of, a great treachery took place.

In recent memory however, this symbol has not been brought up or seen.

Also, you do not remember working with this group in the past. Perhaps you did, but not under that symbol.


"Well, apparently this symbol has been involved in every major war...including the Great Planar War... supposedly some type of treachery would happen each time the symbol appeared... well that'd explain the explosive scroll... although I don't understand why he/she/it would try to kill us if he/she/it is trying to enlist our aid...

I haven't heard anything recently about this symbol though... perhaps they had felt no need to, although why they surface now..."

Raistlin1040
2007-10-10, 03:21 PM
Elzaon

Not just that, but that symbol has been seen a lot on suspected followers of Vecna. Nothing was ever proven, but...

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-10, 10:58 PM
Wilarmis

"Truenamer Tyerdius, however that's spelled, head of a Cabal local to Mysticae. The Cabal supposedly has at least two powerful spellcasters. Their headquarters on some other plane, accessable through some alchemist shop. Oh, and it's mysterious and spoooooky. The element symbol thing, which is very creative, is their symbol... thing." Wilarmis waves his arms around, so pathetically and yet melodramatically that it'd be near impossible to believe what he just did. "And that's only around fifteen percent of what I could know."

Bigmac
2007-10-10, 11:02 PM
Marucs grabs a drink from the bar while he lets the news sink in. He stands near Pelemaeus when he returns.

"Sounds like a lovey bunch of vipers led by a pit fiend. Not sure what the Captian had to do with them, but looks like we're invited over to the alchemist's shop for a chat. It's interesting that they seem to attract several followers of the Nine Paths in One. That's enough to get me in the door. It'll take a lot more to get me to stay."

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-10, 11:19 PM
Wilarmis

"Indeed."

Wilarmis proceeds to go to his room.

Bigmac
2007-10-11, 08:44 AM
Marcus watches the bookworm leave. He never could understand Wilarmis' obsession with books. Marcus could relate to the quest for knowledge, but he would rather expierence the knowledge, feel the weight of a sword balance perfectly in his hands after a master had shown him the secrects of a blade. He shakes his head, resigned to the idea he would never fully understand the elf.

"Wonder where he's off to?" Turning to the rest of the group Marcus asks, "So, shall we grab our gear and take a walk over to the alchemist's shop?"

Neftren
2007-10-11, 08:48 AM
Pelemaeus

"Sounds fair enough to me. Lets go check out that Alchemist's Shop..." Pelemaeus proceeds towards the door, and waits for Wil to return from his room.

Bigmac
2007-10-11, 08:56 AM
"Pel, care to step outside and get a bit of practice while we wait?"

Marucs enjoyed his sparring sessions with Pelemaeus. He was challenged by the vast array of maneuvers that the swordsage could pull off. He had to be ready for any number of attacks at a moment's notice. Still, he was limited in his view. If only Marucs could convince him to sample some other leaves off the nine petal flower perhaps Pel would understand that there was more out there than what he was using.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-11, 01:14 PM
The Harpist

The Harpist nods at the mention of a destination, and is ready to move when everyone else is.
He also notes something about a spar, and takes a seat next to Elzaon, thinking about something to pass the time.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-11, 09:51 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon steps out to catch a breath of fresh air, and then ducks back.


I'd spar with you Marcus, if Pelemaeus doesn't want to. I might not be as strong as you, but I think my spells will make up for it.

Bigmac
2007-10-12, 06:57 AM
"Save your spells, we may need them later. But if you want to pratice with your weapon, then by all means feel free to join in."

Bronz
2007-10-12, 10:28 AM
DM

After some light-hearted sparring outside, the rest of the group catches up to Marcus, Pel, and El and heads off to this alchemist's shop.

As the shop is in the same district as the inn, it is not long before you arrive at your destination. It is a bit confusing however, as the sign out front only has a simple cauldron depicted on it, not some fancy symbol with the elements.

Wil however is adament about this being the place, and not before long is absolutely sure of it, as he tells the group that the current sign is a simple illusion meant to disguise true forms.

As you all enter the shop, the smells of the place assail the non-arcane of you. So many ingredients with putrid odors in one place is usually too much for any one, but you all tough through it quite easily.

Inside, 3 walls are lined with desks, with those lined with the smelly ingredients. The back wall has a bigger desk, with what looks like finished products on the top and in drawers.

A simple human wearing average garb comes out from behind a curtain, blackened from head to toe in soot. He greets you like friends, and asks your wishes.

*Come in come in. Take a look around. We have everything anyone might need, right here, in the Cauldron.*

Bigmac
2007-10-12, 02:27 PM
The stench in the place was awful, worse than a gym after hours of training. Marucs nods to the man when he sees him, but decides to keep the trip all buisness.

"Save your breath. We're here for a meeting on behalf of Myus and we are expected. If you need proof, you can see the letter my companion holds."

Bronz
2007-10-12, 03:00 PM
DM

The man, after hearing the name Myus, seems to straighten up a bit, and apparently come to attention. It seems it was completely out of reflex.
He puts his hand out for the note, and when he is handed it does not even bother to look at it.

*Right this way, gentlemen.*

He leads you to the back area, where it is obvious some alchemical...or other experiments have been taking place. He points you to a blank wall on the other side and says *Through there, down, and to the left. Do not go right.*

After that he turns around and goes back to his business.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-12, 07:17 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon lets a twisted smile find it's way on his face.

Let's split. Harper, Pel, come with me to the right. Wil, you take Marcus and go to the left. Any objections?

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-12, 07:24 PM
The Harpist

"Do not underestimate the power of whoever is behind our invitation. In the headquarters of potential employers and potential executioners both, we are at their mercy and will do as they say," The Harpist looks slightly annoyed at what Elzaon just said, and he pokes his staff at the "wall," If finding that it's just an illusion, the Harpist will walk through it into whatever corridor or something lies beyond.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-12, 07:31 PM
Elzaon

So either we do what they say, and blindly risk death, or do what they told us not to do, and accept the consequences. I suggest the latter.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-12, 07:37 PM
The Harpist

"Is that a lack of faith in our employers, or in us? Either way, if we split up, there's going to be far less chance that we'll make it out."

Neftren
2007-10-12, 07:45 PM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus stares at Elzaon with shock. "Remember that these are the same people who sent that exploding scroll. I will err on the side of Moderation and say, we should definitely stay together. Besides, if we stay together, we'll probably make it out alive... better chances of survival that way."

Raistlin1040
2007-10-12, 07:46 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon sends a cold look towards the Harpist.

Both actually. So we're not splitting up. It still poses the question of which way to go.

Bronz
2007-10-12, 08:12 PM
As the Harpist pokes his staff at the wall, it does indeed go THROUGH it, acting like the illusion he thought was there.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-12, 08:20 PM
The Harpist I'm tired of posting his name in his color...

"We go forward."
Then the second part of the Harpist's plan takes place - he walks through the "wall."

Bronz
2007-10-12, 08:29 PM
DM

The Harpist, and those who follow him, walk down a creaky wooden stair case. Ten creaky steps, then a platform, and ten more creaky steps down. The next platform has a wall directly in front of the group, and a staircase leading away to the left and a staircase leading away to the right.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-12, 08:32 PM
Wilarmis

"I vote we peek to see what's in the right corridor, and if it doesn't bother us, then we go left." Wilarmis draws his wand. "Wish I'd've prepared more offensive spells today..."

Cast Greater Mage Armor.

Stats-'n-Stuff

Wilarmis Incan Zauis'ard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=27607)
Init +5
HP 39/52
Speed 30 ft.
AC: 27, Touch 18, FF 22 (+6 Greater Mage Armor, +5 Dex, +3 Natural, +3 Deflection)
Saves: Fortitide +4, Reflex +9, Will +8
Attacks:+2 Defending Longbow (20 Arrows) +13/+8 (1d8+2, x3)
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 28, Wis 11, Cha 11
Conditions: Greater Mage Armor 13 Hours
Spells Left:




2 Detect Magic
2 Read Magic

2 Reduce Person
2 Ray of Enfeeblement
1 Shield
1 Grease

2 See Invisibility
3 Detect Thoughts
1 Invisibility

1 Phantom Steed
1 Slow
1 Haste
1 Ray of Exhaustion

1 Dimension Door
1 Remove Curse
1 Confusion
2 Burning Blood [CA]

2 Dominate Person
1 Permanency
1 Prying Eyes

1 True Seeing
1 Mislead

1 Teleport, Greater
1 Arcane Sight, Greater

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-12, 08:36 PM
The Harpist

And, at the branching off of pathways, the Harpist stops, listening to any arguments that his companions may present, and thinking the lot of them fools for making those arguments.

Bronz
2007-10-12, 08:40 PM
As the arguments go on for going left or right, a strange light breeze seems to flow from the right hand side. With it, some conversation seems to be carried, though it is too light for even the best of listeners to make out.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-12, 10:51 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon nods in agreement to Wil's suggestion.

Bigmac
2007-10-13, 02:13 PM
"I ain't here to go scavgening through someone else's stuff. Besides, I'm here to make a deal. I'd rather not start on the wrong foot by proving that we can't follow orders."

Neftren
2007-10-13, 06:37 PM
Pelemaeus

"Agreed. If we're here for a job, we might as well start off on a good foot with them, rather than annoy them. Especially if we've worked with them before...perhaps under a different name or banner?"

Pelemaeus takes the initiative and turns left at a brisk pace.

Bronz
2007-10-13, 06:46 PM
DM

Pel turns left, and follows more steps that creak each time they are stepped on.

@Pel and those who follow him

You walk down this stairway for about 15 more feet downwards, making another single turn. At the bottom there is a torch for light, and a closed wooden door, with a standard handle and knocker.


@Those who are indecisive and stay put

The strange wind picks up, and the whispers of conversation turn louder. Those with an arcane background recognize words of power, but not of what they are intoning.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-13, 06:47 PM
The Harpist

Hearing the sounds of walking to the left, the Harpist follows in smug silence.

Bigmac
2007-10-14, 02:38 PM
Marcus follow Pel down to the left, leaving those who were still deciding their fate behind. He was glad to see that Pel had chosen the same path as well as the Harper. Marcus grabs hold of the knocker and uses it to announce the groups presance to whomever was behind it.

Bronz
2007-10-14, 07:53 PM
DM

When the knocker is used, the moment the crack of metal on metal is heard the door swings open. Inside there is a long table stacked with fresh meats, vegetables, and drink. On the sides the walls are lined with bookshelves, full with what must be some very interesting reads.

At the head of the table sits a strange looking man in simple black robes. He would be ordinary except for the small horns that protrude from his skull, and the reddish tint that his skin takes on. At his immediate sides you seem to see double, as the exact same person it seems sits there. This person(or persons) wears the same simple black robe, but has more simple features with a round face and fair complexion. They both almost seem jovial sitting there.

The man at the front of the table stands as you enter.

*Come, please partake. It has been prepared in your honor. We will speak business after the meal. My name is Tyerdius, and you are here under my invitation. *

With that, he sits down, and the chairs pull out as if under their own power, apparently waiting for someone to sit in them.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-14, 08:58 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon hesitates, and then catches up with the others to the left. He takes a seat.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-14, 10:31 PM
Wilarmis the Wizard

Wilarmis reads the titles of the books on the bookshelves before sitting down.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-14, 10:36 PM
Teh Harpist

"We would be honored to dine with you, indeed," the Harpist says formally with only a small amount of emotion, as he slowly makes his way over to a chair and touches it with his hand to make sure that it is a chair, and sits down on it. "I expect that other subjects of conversation are not prohibited. Honor as proper may be offered if we had knowledge of exactly whom each of us represent."

The Harpist certainly isn't trusting the food.

Bronz
2007-10-14, 10:40 PM
It would take far too long to read all the titles on all of the books in the room before sitting down, and quite possibly is rude even glancing. But what Wil finds are books in a very strange language that is incomprehensible to him, and that the vast majority of the books look very similar...as if they are journals.

Some titles are things like;
Athuskijotty, Zygurawawawa, and Minoplutrxpiwxjre.

The man known as Tyerdius notices the perusal, but goes back to his meal as if he saw nothing of note.

One of the "twins" looks up at the Harpist as he speaks and sits down. In a very dry and raspy voice, he answers.

*We are those who represent what is to come. We are those who do what is necessary to bring that to fruition. More than that need not be said.*

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 10:35 AM
Marucs takes a seat at the table using the first available chair. He nods to each person at the head of the table as he does so. Since the host has already invted them to dine, Marcus will start to fill his plate up with samples of the food on the table. He will, however, wait to eat untill the host has done the same.

Bronz
2007-10-15, 01:47 PM
After everyone is seated, the meal is joined. Whoever wishes to eat may do so, and the three at the head of the table actively partake of their own meal.

Soon, the meal is done and polite conversation ceases. Tyerdius claps his hands, and many invisible servants begin to clean the table. The dishes are brought back behind the three, into another room and through another wall. Meade, ale, and wine are left for refreshment.

After the clean-up, Tyerdius stands. He reaches into his robes and pulls out a short pipe filled with tabac. He uses a tindertwig to light it, and begins to pace around the front of the room.

After a few minutes, he begins to speak in a fairly soothing, but at the same time disturbing, tone.

*First I thank you for coming. If anything, at least you received a hot meal for your troubles. Second, I apologize for my associate's wards on our missives. It was a necessary step to prevent any falsehoods. As you may or may not know, Myus has done a job or two for me in the past, long before any of you were around. It is why I reached out to him specifically, as we have a...working relationship.

I ask now if I could put you all into my employ. Knowing what I do of Myus leads me to believe you are all quite capable persons yourselves. I am in need of these types of people.

I need something done that is of a...questionable moral nature. If any of you have any qualms about moral ambiguities, speak up, and we shall attack those questions first. If not, please ask any questions you wish now.*

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 02:22 PM
"Morally questionable is a broad term. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and cause a ruckus if necessary, but I'd like to know what I'm agreeing to before I comment one way or the other. So what exactly about your task is questionable?"

Bronz
2007-10-15, 02:47 PM
Tyerdius chuckles a bit to himself.

*Of course, of course. Suffice it to say this task involves a child and its mother. More than that I cannot say without...consequences. Does that satisfy you?*

Raistlin1040
2007-10-15, 02:55 PM
Elzaon

No. It doesn't. What exactly do you want us to do to these two?

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 02:59 PM
"A mother and a child eh? Seems too simple for you. I'm sure there is much more to it, but let us say that for now any of my moral concerns can be covered over...for a price.

Bronz
2007-10-15, 03:12 PM
Tyerdius senses some tension in the room, and this time laughs a bit harder. Once he settles down, he speaks in a more serious tone.

He turns to El and speaks first.
*My dear outsider, as I have said, to speak further about this would require consequences. Those I do not know if you are willing to accept...yet.*

He then turns to Marcus, looking a bit more jovial.
*Of course there is a price involved, I would think that is the nature of business. However, since my normal dealings had been with Myus, and such a long time ago, I know not who negotiates for you. In any case, it is safe to say that the payment for this deed would be worth, at the very least, that fabled sword at your side.*

After this bit of dialogue, Tyerdius reaches down for a glass of wine, and drinks a bit heavily.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-15, 05:34 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon doesn't seem to take offense at the outsider crack. Rather, he seems proud of it. Knowing what he does, it's not suprising.

Does it involve us killing them?

Bronz
2007-10-15, 05:37 PM
Tyerdius answers back to El.

*Ah, good. Proud of your heritage. A good trait to have. But no you aren't supposed to kill them. Simply bring them here.*

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-15, 06:49 PM
Wilarmis

"So, who exactly are we supposed to bring you? I mean, there are about a million plus pairs of mothers and children out there." He rolls his eyes. "Unless this is some spooky mystery where we're supposed to find out ourselves because you're bound by some magical contract and will turn into a pig permanently if you tell us?"

Bronz
2007-10-15, 07:43 PM
DM
After Wil's remarks, it seems as though something changes with Tyerdius. He puts his pipe down, and when he looks up his eyes glow a deep, deep red.

*You know not to who you speak Riuertopklyweionvei! I shall NOT be spoken to in such a tone! I have already said that to know more would mean consequences, and you give me no choice!*

He then turns around and the door that welcomed you in now slams shut, the illusionary wall that the unseen servants walked through suddenly disappears, and a giant 10' mirror stands there. In seconds, it's mirror portion begins to swirl, until nothing is reflected and only a swirling gray mist is visible.

Tyerdius swings his head around, and marches right into the mist. One of the twins gets up and follows suit. The other stands, and turns to the group.

*He took offense, but our business is not concluded. He will settle down. Of course, now your only option is to follow, and he shall speak in more detail of what needs to be done, and you can negotiate price.*

With that, the only other person that was in the room that is not a Moonstar walks into what seems to be nothingness.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-15, 08:05 PM
Wilarmis

Wilarmis opens his mouth, obviously intending to say something that would probably insult Tyerdius further. "Well, I... oh, never mind." he mutters. "No point in annoying this guy." Wilarmis suddenly becomes stern, and obviously no longer wishing to be annoying, turns, and walks into the mirror without another word.

Bronz
2007-10-15, 08:21 PM
As Wil walks through the mirror, he has the feeling of plane shifting, that much is obvious. This seems much more like a gate however, as he walks out of the same type of mirror on the other side.

He walks out and finds that he is in a normal looking house, though it is apparently mansion size. The room is another dining room, much like the one that the group was just in. The twins are walking over to it, and just now sitting down. Tyerdius already has a pipe in hand, and seems as jovial as a few minutes ago.

*Ah Wil, I apologize for that outburst. I don't take sarcasm well. In any case, please, take a seat, and we can get on with the real negotiations.*

He then paces around, waiting for the rest of the group to come in.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-15, 08:26 PM
Wilarmis

"Then I won't be sarcastic," says Wilarmis, taking a seat and also waiting for the others.

Neftren
2007-10-15, 08:32 PM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus comes through the mirror, obviously unfazed by the planar shifting, although you can tell by his expression that he is curious as to which plane he is on now. He takes a seat, although he still has not touched any of the food, not requiring any of it, through his ring of sustenance.

"So my take on this is that we must venture forth, find the stated woman and child, return with them alive and healthy, and in return, we are paid a large sum of gold or material goods of value? So, that doesn't sound too bad, except I fail to see how that is morally ambiguous. While I believe in true freedom, I'd still like to know why it would be morally ambiguous."

Pelemaeus leans back, and awaits an answer from his hosts.

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 09:35 PM
Marcus follows the others through the mirror. He had heard enough from the man to know that he would explain himself in good time. Marcus' questions had been answered for now. Instead of sitting, Marcus will lean up against the wall while he waits for the others to arrive.

Bronz
2007-10-15, 09:39 PM
Tyerdius waits until everyone is settled in. Upon hearing the question, he finally decides to state the business at hand.

*You are all needed for this, my task, at hand. I am nearing completion of a...pet project of mine, and am in need of some special cargo.

To the north and west of Mysticae lies a small Fire Giant tribe, the Gurrs. Within this tribe there is a mother and an unborn son. I need the pair, unharmed, in the basement of the shop in Mysticae. I also ask that my trust not be misplaced with Myus' Moonstars, and that all contracts are kept confidential.

For this, I ask you to name your price.*

Tyerdius then finally sits down, grabs an apple off the table, and takes a big bite.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-15, 10:22 PM
The Harpist

Since I was away *Much cursing*, the Harpist was just inanely keeping silent and listening to all the parts of conversation, stepping through that mirror and such, waiting for the real deal.

And here it is.

Hm... Unborn children are rather difficult to resurrect, unfortunately. Though the Harpist isn't exactly the guru on such matters - best leave that to the bookworm - That's the Harpist's idea on morality.

"Dispensation to eliminate anyone blocking our way to the targets that are not the targets themselves, and to obtain possession of any items of value found amongst recently-deceased members of the tribe. Advance knowledge as to the exact size and location of the tribe, and notable features of the tribe's culture or location. Payment of one hundred thousand gold pieces, or items of use to us to this value, with ten percent of the payment offered in advance for purposes of completion of the task at hand. Alternatively, we can consider you in our debt until future actions rendered for our benefit sees the debt settled. Feel free to haggle."
The Harpist smiles. Even without the knowledge of what exactly fire giants are, he's quite certain that they wouldn't be pushovers if the Moonstars were specifically called for the task. Even so, it's always best to aim high for the price.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-15, 10:28 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon nods at Harper's suggestion.

I agree. That seems fair.

Bronz
2007-10-15, 10:38 PM
Tyerdius slowly gets out of his chair, and again begins to pace. He seems to be thinking, but about what you could only guess. Then he stops, all of a sudden, and responds.

*I agree to the right to dispense with any that are not the targets. In that regard, I do not lay claim to any responsibility for any fallout that that particular event may cause.

You may keep anything that you find. I would expect nothing less.

Advanced knowledge of the tribe would be up to you to get. I only know what I need. Information is not part of the deal.

I offer you the price of 10,000 gold each, or choice of an equivalent trinket I may have around.

What say you?*

Raistlin1040
2007-10-15, 10:42 PM
Elzaon

Advance or upon completion? And could we have a look at your items to decide if they're worth it?

Bronz
2007-10-15, 10:46 PM
I could agree to a 10% advance. And my stores will remain hidden until the task is complete. You can decide what you would like then.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-15, 10:47 PM
Elzaon

In that case, I'd rather wait until completion for my share then.

Neftren
2007-10-15, 10:48 PM
Pelemaeus

"10,000 gold pieces to go on a wild goose chase for a mother and her unborn child? I mean, come on, I don't mean to be rude, but you should seriously give us more than just 10,000 each if we're going in, and we may face the fact that the mother will not want to come! 20,000 gold pieces. Each."

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-15, 10:50 PM
Harpist

Ten thousand each. Half of what he offered.
"I would also note that charges should be significantly higher than the initial offer, due to advance planning that we will have to do ourselves. This puts strain on us to remain undetected or risk failure of the mission while performing basic reconnoissance."

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 10:52 PM
Marcus smiles as he watches the Harpist go to work. He did have a way with words. If Marcus felt he needed to add anything he would, but for now he is content to let the master play the stings.

Bronz
2007-10-15, 10:59 PM
Tyerdius chuckles just a bit and almost spits a bit of his apple out as Pel speaks.

*My dear Sky One, please do let the one who knows what he is doing speak. It is much easier that way*

He says the former with seriousness, not appearing to mock or berate in any way.

He then turns to the Harpist, the damned master negotiator.
*I concede the point that some preparations must be made. I will go to an offer of 15,000 gold each, with a 1,000GP advance that does not go towards that total. You do indeed drive a hard bargain.

Do we have a deal, or will you try and rob me of my clothes as well?*

Tyerdius smiles and looks as if he is having a grand old time.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-15, 11:05 PM
Wilarmis

Wilarmis watches silently. Harp-y may be annoying in his own way, but he's useful, too, he thinks.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-15, 11:07 PM
Harpist

Exactly where he wanted it. The Harpist nods in agreement. "Then the charge is agreed on. I would not deprive you of personal attire."

Bigmac
2007-10-15, 11:11 PM
Now that the buisness was settled, Marucs decided to inquire about his own personal interests.

"You mentioned my sword before. What do you know of the Nine-fold path? Have you any information on the other swords of destiny?

Bronz
2007-10-15, 11:13 PM
@Harpist
I thank you for that.

@Marcus
I know of much, and perhaps you will take some of that knowledge as payment. It is too soon to tell that kind of thing. Perhaps we will speak more in depth when you get back.

Tyerdius motions for the twins to get up, and excuse themselves. He himself then bows to the group.

*I myself am tired and must rest. Feel free to stay the night if you like, you may each take a room in the West wing. My actual servants will guide you if you just ring this bell here.

You may also use the back door that leads out. Well, I shouldn't say out, but it is a nice ruse to think this is an actual house. It will lead you to the Astral Plane, where you may go wherever you need. It is sad that it is a one-way portal, though.

Of course you can always go back out the front door, back to Mysticae. You will find that the door leading back upstairs is now unlocked.

Indeed, good luck to you all. I will have a servant bring down your advance shortly. Feel free to partake of anything on this table. If you need more, again, just ring the bell.*

With that, Tyerdius heads up the grand stair case, seemingly off to his bedchamber.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-15, 11:39 PM
Wilarmis

"I wonder if these 'servants' are actually Unseen Servants..." mumbles Wilarmis, struggling to decide if he wants to ring the bell or not. He decides not to. "So, let us find out more about this tribe of fire giants. Or fire giants in general:

"Fire giants are very strong, big, and hardy creatures. Immune to fire, and vulnerable to cold. Duh. They are known to throw big burning rocks at people, and commonly use greatswords. Large communities usually include several clerics. Since they throw big burning rocks, and are fire giants anyways, they'll be most commonly found by some natural source of heat. Very large communities will probably have a few ettins or trolls living with them, and even the occasional hell hound or red dragon.

"Their reflexes and cold vulnerability are their weak points use them to your advantage. Or maybe sunder their armor or something. Speaking of sundering, many fire giants are exceptionally good at sundering. And charging over people.

"...

"And sieze the initiative.

"That will be all."

Bronz
2007-10-16, 09:05 AM
Shortly after Tyerdius and his companions leave the group's company, 5 pouches come floating down the stairs. They are placed on the the table, and the unknown force seems to disappear.

Upon inspection, each pouch contains 100 platinum pieces.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-16, 05:13 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon grabs his gold pouch.

There is a secret temple back in Mysticae. If we go back, I could get some supplies, maybe some information for our journey. I'd have to go alone, but it could be worth it.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-16, 11:33 PM
Wilarmis

"So they were Unseen Servants. Very well then." Wilarmis proceeds to find a room to stay at.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 07:57 AM
Time Passes

The group is escorted by a pair of gloves to the West Wing, where each person has a room of their own. The compartments are spacious, but not gaudy, and the stay is comfortable.

Upon waking, the group is again escorted to the dining area, where a large breakfast is served. There is no sign of Tyerdius, the twins, or anyone except some floating dishes and flatware.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 11:25 AM
Marcus starts the discussion off. "So, anyone have suggestions on how to procede from here? I know El wants to go consort with his religeous friends, and I know of a person in Mysticae who might be able to provide some information. But the real question is how do we want to go about getting the woman and child unharmed? Steal something or someone important and ransom it for the woman? Sneak in or go in with a show of force? How are we going to get there?"

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-17, 01:33 PM
Harpist

The Harpist slowly makes his way, using his stick as guidance, to where the others are. He would have preferred leaving for the relative safety of their base inn, but at least the fact that their throats weren't slit during the night indicates that they appear to be on the level... Until the job is done, at least.

"Exit the normal way, meet with contacts. Use the road. Bring a wagon. Hide it behind terrain or an illusion. We'll need it to cart the target back.
Reconnoissance first, though. We can make strategies once we know what we're up against."

Bronz
2007-10-17, 02:06 PM
DM

The party gathers their things and heads back out the front door, to the alchemists shop. The room they were previously meeting Tyerdius in is now perfectly clean. Everything else is the same as it was.

The keeper of the establishment nods at you as though he knows what has happened, or perhaps he is just thanking whatever gods he worships that you did not in fact go right. Either way, he waves as you pass.

When the party arrives at "By the Book", the barkeep has things locked down, and it is apparently closed to the public. When you enter, it seems as though a War Room has been set up. Maps on one side and a round table on the other.

"Good evening gents. I hope things are in order. I assumed you had agreed to a contract so I have the usual set up. Well, the usual as to what Myus used to need, anyway. Let me know if I can do anything else."

He then waves, and goes back to work, cleaning the bar.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 02:06 PM
"That sounds reasonable enough. We'll talk more later after we have ech gined some insight into what needs to be done."

With that, Marucs rises from the table and before looking back towards the group. "Meet back up at the here this evening then? I'm headed to Master Trent's dojo if anyone wants to come with."

He waits a few moments to see if anyone is interested in coming with him before heading off towards the dojo.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-17, 02:13 PM
Harpist

"Go as needed," the Harpist says to Marcus and the others.
He then moves towards a map of Mysticae's surroundings laid out on one of the tables, after making an almost-appreciative nod at the barkeeper. "We need to find the location of a clan of fire giants. Our employer said that they reside somewhere to the northwest, but failed to give a specific place."

Neftren
2007-10-17, 02:17 PM
Pelemaeus

"I think, that it'd be more important to first discover which mother and unborn child we're supposed to capture... that has so far been unspecified... and there have got to be more than just one set of mother with child."

Bronz
2007-10-17, 02:32 PM
The barkeep stops cleaning for a moment, and walks over to where the Harpist is.

*Hmmm. Fire Giants you say? Myus never said anything about no fire giants, but he did mention something sometime long ago about some natural hot springs. Don't know if that will help ya, but those are located somewhere around here*

As he finishes his sentence, he points to a position on the map that is somewhat northwest of where you are now, about 50 miles away. It seems to have a marked pass leading up close to it, with some sort of village nearby as well.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 03:15 PM
Marcus left the others to plot out their search. He would go to seek out answers from Master Trent. While Marcus had heard of the Jade Phoenix, he had no understanding of the path the master walked. Marucs had tried to avoid to dojo as much as possible. He felt that the path must be discovered by oneself through trials and adventure, yet there was a certian practicallity to a large school. It seemed ordianary enough from the outside. A simple door slightly opened in the middle of a plain wall was the entereance into the school. Marcus steped into the courtyard and watched for a few moments as some students made their way across it, carrying books and weapons in each arm.

He waits untill he sees an instructor notice him. The instructor closes the distance to Marcus and asks, "What can I do for you good sir?"

Marcus takes stock of the man before answering, "I am here to speak with Master Trent."

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 03:21 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon excuses himself from the bar, and swiftly, and nimbly, so as not to attract unwanted followers, heads to the secret temple.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 03:40 PM
@Marcus
The instructor asks that you wait, and he will attempt to gather Master Trent. After about 20 minutes, a very short, very skinny, halfling skips up to Marcus.

*Why hello there. I am Master Trent. I can't say that I remember you but I can say that I should, Adept of Nine.

What can I do for you?*


@El
You walk quite a distance away, having to go out of the Merchant district and down into the actual living quarters. You make your way into what seems to be a middle class neighborhood, and knock on a plain wooden door of a house that looks like all the rest. After the knock, you hear a whisper, but not what was said. You whisper back in the same tone, and that is enough to gain entry.

The main room is a disaster area, with tools of torture strewn about. On one side a man and a woman stand chained to the wall, unable to escape. On the other, a dwarf is tied to a chair and seems battered and bruised. You have no idea who actually let you in, but that is always the case.

A woman enters, one of the most beautiful women you may have ever seen even though she is a High Elf, and asks an obvious question. She does not look like the high priest that you know, since he is a human male, but she carries herself with authority. You do not recognize her of being in your local sect, that is for certain.

*What, in the name of Death, do you want?*

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 03:46 PM
Marcus takes a bow towards the halfling while pressing his palms together. "I regret that I have not visited sooner Master Trent. I am Marcus Lowel, Lion of Sasserine. I have come to ask you questions to which I hope you might provide some insight. I must also confess, that while my primary reason for this visit is to seek out information on a tribe of Fire Giants, I relish any opportunity to spar with other followers of the way so that I might enlighten them to the power of the Kimtashi* (Nine-as-One)"

Bronz
2007-10-17, 03:51 PM
I welcome you Marcus. First of all, I think a good sparring could be fun. Not sure if it would be fair, though. Perhaps one of my better pupils should contest.
Pert! Come down here!

He then turns to an acolyte.
Go, and gather the classes. We shall have a display unlike most.

Master Trent seems happy with glee at the proposal, but also saddened that he is not the one in the ring!

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 03:58 PM
Marcus smiles at the master. "Who has ever learned from a fight where they were not overmatched? Still, this should be enjoyable. We will discuss other matters later perhaps."

As the crowd gathers Marcus takes a quick inventory of the surrounding area. He begins to focus his mind on the coming battle. When Pert arrives, Marcus greets him warmly. "It is a pleasure to meet you Pert. Perhaps I can show you something of the nine sided power and beauty."

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 04:17 PM
Elzaon

I am here to collect supplies for a journey my teammates and I are going to be taking soon. Can I speak to the high priest?

It should be noted that both of Elzaon's holy symbols (The normal one, and the one made of silver that is a focus for a spell) are clearly visible.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 04:22 PM
Pert arrives, and is obviously a follower of his master's discipline. He is a human, of a dark complexion, and apparently only has a quarterstaff. He also is only in robes, much like everyone here, and doesn't seem to have any kind of defense.

*I am glad to meet you, Marcus. I hope that our journey together is fruitful.*


He then walks up to the stage, bows to the crowd, and readies himself.

*You need not restrain yourself on this floor. The pain is temporary, and we only bruise. Fire and brimstone only singe. If there is an accident, we have an account setup with the temple of Boccob for services rendered.*

After Pert seems to have himself readied, Master Trent goes up on stage. He looks to the entire school and addresses them.

*Here we have a true follower of the path. An Adept of the Nine-Fold. Learn something, no matter the results!*

After that, the halfling master walks off the stage, grabs an apple, and mentions...*BEGIN!*

//IE, roll initiative!

Pert

[roll0]

Bronz
2007-10-17, 04:25 PM
@El
The elf woman in front of you stares you up and down, more like a piece of meat than any real person with a soul.

You do not seem the type. You may have gained entry, but proof is needed of your allegiance. What is His name?

As she says this last part, she obviously is pointing to Nerull's holy symbols on your neck.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 04:34 PM
Marcus bows to Pert. When he rises, he draws his sword and gives Pert a cold stare, looking into his opponents soul to see what he is made of.

(test of wills)
[roll0]

[roll1]

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 04:40 PM
Elzaon

He smirks.

Which one? He goes by many. Nerull, The Reaper, The Foe of all Good, Hater of Life, Bringer of Darkness, King of all Gloom, and Reaper of Flesh. Sometimes called Hak'nir by the elves, and Domgi by the dwarves, his perhaps most regal title is Her Royal Advisor, reffering to his status as an ally of Lolth, goddess of drow.

((I made up those last 3, basiclly to flaunt Elzaon's heritage and knowledge.))

Bronz
2007-10-17, 04:40 PM
Pert stares back, and seems glad for the attention. He twirls his quarterstaff and takes a fighting posture.

[roll0]

Edit:
Marcus loses the contest of wills, but is first to act.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 04:49 PM
Marcs shifts his weight to be one with the wind, ever changing, never the same. He then closes on his opponent, but waits to see what he is up against before committing to action.

Marucs will enter Aura of Chaos Stance, and move next to Pert. he will then ready an action to use Divine Strike against Pert if Pert starts a maneuver, casts a spell, or tires to move away from Marcus.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 04:56 PM
Elzaon

He smirks.

Which one? He goes by many. Nerull, The Reaper, The Foe of all Good, Hater of Life, Bringer of Darkness, King of all Gloom, and Reaper of Flesh. Sometimes called Hak'nir by the elves, and Domgi by the dwarves, his perhaps most regal title is Her Royal Advisor, reffering to his status as an ally of Lolth, goddess of drow.

((I made up those last 3, basiclly to flaunt Elzaon's heritage and knowledge.))

The elf looks surpised...shocked may even be the right word. She leaves the room without another word. The dwarf tied down in the chair on the other hand, speaks up.

*Now, there's some knowledge equal to my own. The Reaper takes all, does he not? Now, if you could untie me perhaps we could speak...as equals.*

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 04:59 PM
Elzaon

Why exactly are you tied to a chair?

Bronz
2007-10-17, 05:08 PM
Elzaon

Why exactly are you tied to a chair?

The dwarf laughs heartily at the comment.

Why, to be tortured of course! Now let me out so we can have a drink!

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 05:11 PM
Elzaon

He shrugs.

Fair enough. But know that if you try and run, I'm fairly sure I'm faster than you.

He unties the dwarf.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 05:16 PM
Elzaon

He shrugs.

Fair enough. But know that if you try and run, I'm fairly sure I'm faster than you.

He unties the dwarf.


Run? Why would I run? This is MY house!
The dwarf then walks into the next room, and comes back with two glasses. He holds them up, and El can take his pick.

Now, what are you here for?

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 05:20 PM
Elzaon

You don't seem the cleric of Nerull type to me. I'm here for supplies. Potions, scrolls, items, whatever you can spare.

He doesn't take either glass. Dead is the fool who trusts a stranger, especially one with a natural resistance to poison.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 05:21 PM
@Marcus.
Pert looks at you strangely, wondering what is going on in your mind. He then assumes a defensive posture, and seemingly explodes into flames!

They mass and swirl around him, and just standing next to him is fairly hard. The flames extend out 10'.

Look here

Reflex save DC 16, [roll0]
Damage is half fire, half arcane.
Martial Lore DC 25 to understand what he just did. If you know, look below

Assumed Firebird stance. You are at least facing a Jade Phoenix Master.



For DM and any not actively in the fight

Standard Action: Total Defense. Waiting to see what happens
Firebird Stance: 1/10


//Your turn.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 05:25 PM
Elzaon

You don't seem the cleric of Nerull type to me. I'm here for supplies. Potions, scrolls, items, whatever you can spare.

He doesn't take either glass. Dead is the fool who trusts a stranger, especially one with a natural resistance to poison.

Ah, well, suit yourself. He takes a swig of each, just in case you change your mind.

I have quite a bit here, though not all probably not going to help you. Of course it's not all free, a discount for a brethren but we need the gold too you know.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 05:27 PM
Elzaon

That's fine. Just tell me what you have, and how much it costs, and we can work out a deal, or perhaps a trade.

Bronz
2007-10-17, 05:40 PM
Elzaon

That's fine. Just tell me what you have, and how much it costs, and we can work out a deal, or perhaps a trade.

Well we have quite a few scrolls and potions around here. Mostly those that cause pain such as those Inflict spells and anything that has to do with fire. We keep healing potions and poisons for fun too, I think we might have 5 of each potion and a couple extraneous poisons that are ingestable. Yer a fair fellow, so pay about 80% of the normal cost, and that should be good.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 05:42 PM
Elzaon

Besides those, any magic items?

Bronz
2007-10-17, 06:16 PM
Elzaon

Besides those, any magic items?

I think you'd have to be a bit more specific than that. We don't keep items of power just laying about now!

He takes another swig from each mug.

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 06:27 PM
Marcus lets the forces of Chaos fuel his blade as he strikes at Pert. Unfortunatly, he had allowed his opponent to gain an advantage by not seizing the initiative.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bronz
2007-10-17, 07:10 PM
Marcus lets the forces of Chaos fuel his blade as he strikes at Pert.

Having just missed with his forceful swing, Pert almost looks surprised. If he wasn't actively defending himself, that attack might have hit. He decides that he must finish this, and quickly.

One end of his quarterstaff glows a bright purple, and then a bright orange and red. He swings, and everything explodes in arcane energy and flames!


His swift action is to imbue his first attack with Arcane Wrath. Uses Death Mark on that attack.
[roll0] [roll1]+[roll2]+[roll3]+[roll4]

Ref. Save vs. Death Mark = 15
Ref. Save vs. Firebird = 16

Bigmac
2007-10-17, 07:19 PM
Marcus sees the incoming attack, and uses his sword to serve as a better defense than any armor could provide. He concentrates on the incoming attack and at the last second uses his blade to strike the staff aside, rendering the blow harmless. The flames danced around Marcus' feet and made the armor he wore uncomfortably hot. Still, he was focued on winning, and did not let the momentary pain deter him. As Pert tumbled away, Marcus persued step for step. When the follower of the Phoenix stopped, Marcus put the weight of a great mountian into his attack, striking a telling blow.


[roll0]

if necessary
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ancient Mountain Hammer Attack: 38
Damage: 66

Raistlin1040
2007-10-17, 08:14 PM
I think you'd have to be a bit more specific than that. We don't keep items of power just laying about now!

He takes another swig from each mug.

Elzaon

Anything an adventuring party might find useful?

Bronz
2007-10-17, 10:45 PM
Hmmm. I certainly see I am facing no novice. Impressive.

Apparently I must use other talents.

Pert's body lights on fire, and as he tumbles five feet backwards a small trail of flame follows him. He proceeds to run a circle around Marcus, out 5' the whole time. As he comes to his point of origin, the area he enclosed explodes in a giant ball of flame. When the smoke clears, Pert is nowhere to be seen.
He is obviously a student of the Desert Wind.

Dice rolls

Ring of Fire: [roll0] Ref: 18 for half.
Firebird Stance: [roll1] Ref: 16 for half

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-17, 10:52 PM
Harpist

In response to Pelemaeus' statement, the Harpist scowls a little. "Unless you can't trust yourself to distinguish one who is with child and one who isn't, don't worry. A mother and child is what they asked, they never specified which pair."
He scans the map with his hand, the strong fingertips tracing along the paint lines of the parchment. "Village. Either our destination, or a stop on the way. That's where we go." He turns to the others still here. "If you do not wish to drag an unconscious fire giant for fifty miles, I suggest that we find a mundane method of large-scale transportation. Example: a wagon."

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-17, 10:55 PM
Wilarmis

"With horses." Wilarmis smirks. "Teleport, maybe."

Neftren
2007-10-17, 10:56 PM
Pelemaeus

"Can we simply not just teleport back to the edge of the city and drag the Fire Giant in and hide it with an illusion spell? Or we could fly it in."

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-17, 11:02 PM
Harpist

"Teleportation to the city boundary is acceptable, as is flight. Covering the creature in illusion might not be - guards would see the magic too obviously, unless you have something to cover the traces."

Bronz
2007-10-17, 11:06 PM
DM

@Everyone still in the inn
The bartender walks over, and seems to be enjoying listening to the strategy being worked out.

Have to be weary of those guards you know. They see right through illusions with those masks of theirs. And if you're going to teleport to the city boundaries, you better scout out an out of the place spot somewhere off a bit, and maybe hide a wagon there.

He seems quite pleased with himself for helping in the conversation, and goes back to his bar, this time whistling.

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 08:42 AM
Marcus knew what was coming, but even so the fury of the flames engulfed him. It was worse than he had imagined. He would have to incorperate more of the flames into his own style. Still, he was resolved to teach Pert the power of other styles. Marucs moves forward to where Pert reappears and again uses the power of the mountain to crush his enemy.

[roll0]
[roll1] (Fort Save DC22 or be unable to take standard action next round)

Bronz
2007-10-18, 08:48 AM
Marcus knew what was coming, but even so the fury of the flames engulfed him. It was worse than he had imagined. He would have to incorperate more of the flames into his own style. Still, he was resolved to teach Pert the power of other styles. Marucs moves forward to where Pert reappears and again uses the power of the mountain to crush his enemy.


Alright then, let's see how you handle this...

Pert steps back, and casts a spell that apparently makes duplicates of himself!
There seems to be [roll0] of him now!

They all seem to wait...in ominous synchronization.


Mirror Image

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 08:57 AM
Marcus ignores the distraction, lost in the dance of blades. He closes his eyes for a moment and lets the blade lead him to where it must go. He swings carefully as he concentrates to recall the ancient techniques of the sword.

[roll0] (using 7 points of combat expertise)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

both mis rolls shooting for under 50. recovering maneuvers with a swift action.

Bronz
2007-10-18, 09:11 AM
You feel Pert just *barely* duck out of the way. He must not have known you were going to close your eyes, but he did indeed react in time as he seemingly dances a step around the giant blade of Marcus.

Impressive. Relying on your senses and the fact I won't be able to take advantage of your current blindness.

Let's see if I can!

Pert steps back, and Marcus again hears the unmistakable sounds of spell casting. He is then burned, first by the ever present Firebird stance and then by gouts of flame!

Look here

[roll0] Ranged Touch Attack against blind person
[roll1] Ranged Touch Attack "" ""
[roll2] Ranged Touch Attack "" ""

[roll3] Firebird, Ref: 16
[roll4] First Scorching Ray
[roll5] Second Scorching Ray
[roll6] Third Scorching Ray

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 09:18 AM
marcus moved to end this swiftly. He attacks again, this time with the mountain hammer.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

first going low, other high. Looks like a crit. Add 14dmg for extra dice for dmg total of 77.

Bronz
2007-10-18, 09:38 AM
With a loud *thud* Pert is knocked back, and then falls on one knee. He gasps from breath from the blow, and nods to his master. Master Trent then claps his hands, and both Pert and Marcus immediately feel better, though perhaps a bit sore and possibly bruised.

Pert gets up, and walks over to Marcus.

*I do indeed see the path you walk, and it is an excellent choice for you. I will ponder what has happened here. Thank you, I have learned much today.*

Pert then walks off, and when the fight is truly over an applause comes from the crowd. They then begin to disperse, all obviously anxiously discussing the fight.

Master Trent walks off, over to a tea pot, and sits down. He motions for Marcus to follow him.

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 09:45 AM
"You fought well Pert. It was only by combining the might of the mountin with the insight from a diamond mind channeld through devotion to chaos that allowed me to strike such a blow. Ponder these things as you will."

Marcus sheaths his sword and makes his way over to Master Trent. He sits quietly reflecting on the contest for a moment while he absorbs the aroma of the tea and the sounds of the dojo. A phoenix was a mighty foe for sure. Marcus had become too reliant on those around him to protect himself from the elements. Perhaps he should investiage the secrets of the desert before venturing into the den of fire giants.

"Thank you for letting me contend with your pupil. He is indeed a fine student, and will surely become a force in this world. But, as I said earlier, I am interested in picking your brain about a tribe of fire giants located somewhere fairly near Mysticae. Have you heard of this tribe? What can you tell me about them?"

Bronz
2007-10-18, 09:57 AM
Master Trent looks up at Marcus, with a giant smile on his face.

*I love fights like that. They really do make everything worth it. But to your question, I only have limited knowledge. I have heard of a practicing fire-giant swordsmen of the Nine-Fold, though I do not know what techniques he may have learned up there in the mountains. I believe his name was Ertoth, but my old mind can't be certain.

I'm afraid that's all I know about these fire giants. We mostly stay away from things that are immune to fire you know.*

With that, he pauses, and takes a sip of tea. He looks up again, with that smile on his face.

*Was there anything else?*

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 10:02 AM
"Now that I've been enlightened by the display Pert put on, would you happen to have any scrolls that could help unlock the secrets of the Flame's Blessing? If I am to meet on the feild of battle with this Ertoth then it could prove useful."

Marcus ponders weither he should speak the next question, but decides that information is always useful.

"Could you enlighten me more about the Jade Phoneix? I have heard that there are but a few, and to find two powerful ones in the same dojo is interesting. What brings the two of you together now, and why here?"

Bronz
2007-10-18, 10:12 AM
"Now that I've been enlightened by the display Pert put on, would you happen to have any scrolls that could help unlock the secrets of the Flame's Blessing? If I am to meet on the feild of battle with this Ertoth then it could prove useful."

Marcus ponders weither he should speak the next question, but decides that information is always useful.

"Could you enlighten me more about the Jade Phoneix? I have heard that there are but a few, and to find two powerful ones in the same dojo is interesting. What brings the two of you together now, and why here?"

We do indeed have some manuscripts of Flame's Blessing. It is the first thing taught to every student here. As you can probably guess, besides just it's usefulness in our way, it has practical purposes as well! I will have a student fetch you one. It is the least I could do for a display like that.

Pert and I...well, we have a long history together. When I was a younger, more arrogant pup, I came across a human Wizard that wanted to expand his martial prowess. I took him along on a an errand of mine, and by the time we were done this human had sworn his life in devotion, in devotion of the path of Jade Phoenix and devotion to myself. I took the opportunity to start a dojo, and he we are today.

There are many here who have varying success at both the Desert Wind and a Devoted Spirit. Beyond that however, we lack the knowledge to attain the levels of clarity you have. I invite you to come back whenever you like, if only you could teach a bit while you are here?

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 05:12 PM
"I would enjoy the opportunity, and I will take you up on your offer if everything goes well with Ertoth. And thank you again for your hospitality. No need to rise, I can find the door on my own."

Marcus then takes his leave of the dojo and makes his way back to the "Book". He enters quietly, trying to listen to the discussion going on. When he's noticed he asks, "So, we have a plan yet? I didn't find much out, except that the clan is up in the mountain, and that one of them is a martial practictioner."

Bronz
2007-10-18, 06:51 PM
DM

The bartender greets Marcus as he walks in.

*Still some plotting and planning going on over there I think.*

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-18, 07:00 PM
Wilarmis

Ahg! Sarcasm! Kill! Not.

"I'm sure that there's something in this spellbook of mines that can help us with our mission, aside from the obvious frost spells." Wilarmis flips through his spellbook.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-18, 10:07 PM
Harpist

The Harpist sits down and lets Wil worm his way through his book.
"There is the possibility that the guards would not even be concerned with our delivery, unless our employers have a bad history with them."

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-18, 11:59 PM
Wilarmis

"Nah... I'm actually more worried about getting to the fire giant camp place. I hate traveling, unless by magical means. Ohh, this is nice. Shadow Walk." Wilarmis pokes his spellbook with a finger. "It's a nice new spell I got recently that lets us travel fast. As in get-to-the-camp-in-an-hour fast. Of course, our destination will be inaccurate. But still, this could be very useful."

Bronz
2007-10-19, 10:39 AM
DM
Time Passes

After about another day, the group decides on the KISS principle, and decides to follow the map given to them by the bartender to the mountain pass. A wagon was brought, just in case, and hidden in a small cave off the main road.

Soon after, the group finds that they had to turn off the main road in order to find the pass they were looking for. After only a half hour climbing rocks and swearing at mother nature, the group finds the pass. According to the map and other information it should only be 10 miles up the pass until a turn to the first village, and about 20 miles to get to those hot springs.

The pass is a simple valley between two large mountains. For the most part it varies between 20 and 40 feet across, but there are spots where it closes down to 10' wide. Coming through here in winter would be impossible.

As the group continues down the pass, they spot an odd cave about 15' up the cliffside, with only a 5' protrusion coming out and no way up but to climb or fly.

The group stops, and attempts to decide if they should investigate or simply carry forward.

Bigmac
2007-10-19, 12:04 PM
Marcus, bored from all the walking, is greatful for a momentary distraction. "You want me to go scope it out? It shouldn't take too long."

Not hearing any immedeate objections, Marcus hurries to start scaling the cliff towards the opening.

Going to take 10 (and with my modifiers that should beat the DC 15) to climb up there.

Bronz
2007-10-19, 12:11 PM
Marcus easily scales the rock face, trying to gain a vantage point to what could be inside the cave. As he gets higher, a very distasteful smell starts filling the air. The sound of cooking can be heard as reaches the top, and as Marcus peers in, he can see a simple natural cave, about 10' wide at the mouth and wider inside. It goes deeper than his vision can allow.

He does however, about 30' in, see two hill giants, happily sitting and chatting around a giant pot.

The pot seems to have some odd ingredients, namely a humanoid whose legs are hanging off the side. The smell that is present is obvious now: Burning, boiling flesh.

A second later another hill giant comes to join them from somewhere in the back.

Marcus does not believe he has been seen, as he has yet to climb over the edge.

Bigmac
2007-10-19, 12:58 PM
Marcus climbs down about 5 feet before springing off to decend rapidly. He rolls once he hits the ground and springs up to his feet. He then whispers in hushed tones,

"Looks like we got a couple of Hill Giants up there busy eating people stew. Might not be a bad idea to get the jump on them rather than the other way around.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-19, 01:36 PM
Harpist

Well, killing a group of hill giants is definitely something that the Harpist has absolutely no moral dilemmas about. However, he has a very healthy self-preservation instinct.
"Before we rush in there. Is it absolutely necessary to enter the cave in order to continue our journey?"

Bigmac
2007-10-19, 01:40 PM
Marcus loved a good fight, but didn't want to expend his energy if unnecessary. Still, taking out the Giants had it's own benefits.
"We can leave 'em be for now, since their stomach is full, but on the way back there's no gaurentee that they won't get the drop on us. And, if we can take one alive, we might be able to get some useful information out of them.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-19, 05:00 PM
Elzaon

Listen, I hear you guys keep a powerful weapon around here. It goes by the name of Night's Claw?
Yes. It's an heirloom of the temple. What of it?
I need it. I'm going on an adventure, and a weapon like that would be infinatly useful.
Well...I could sell it to you, 80%. Or you could trade.
All I've got is my mace. It's not worth the dagger, but...
Say no more. I'll take your mace for now, and you can pay me back later. You best be going then. Your friends are probably waiting.
Thank you. I won't forget.

They trade weapons, and Elzaon dashes out. He arrives back at the inn, and then follows with the group up until the current point.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-19, 10:27 PM
Wilarmis

"We're twenty miles from the fire giants. Do you really think that these guys," says Wilarmis, pointing up the cliff, "would know anything about the fire giants? I say we keep going, 'cuz I want to get this over as fast as possible."

Bronz
2007-10-19, 11:15 PM
DM

The group moves on after a short investigation of some hill giants, but decide to let them enjoy their dinner.

After the requisite distance, the group comes to a path that according to the map leads to a village of some sort. The main pass continues on, which according to the map leads to where the hot springs are and where the fire giants are presumed to be.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-20, 06:48 PM
Elzaon

So...where do you guys think we should go?

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-20, 07:26 PM
Wilarmis

"That depends. What time is it?" Wilarmis looks down at his watch, remembers that they weren't invented yet, and forgets that the entire thing with the watch happened.

Neftren
2007-10-22, 08:04 AM
Pelemaeus

"Well, if nobody is going to decide, we might as well go straight for our objective. We can always come back to the village anyway... and the prospect of a dragon to kill definitely means loot."

Pelemaeus charges along the dirt track, headed towards the Fire Giants.

Bronz
2007-10-22, 08:55 AM
The group meanders down the pass towards what they hope is their destination. As they walk, the walls on either side seem to be getting taller, the mountains themselves becoming thicker the farther into the range the group travels.

After a few more miles, a lone figure stands on a ledge about 15' in the air and nearly 60' away. It looks like a large dwarf, and is holding a giant, steaming, boulder. It's a fire giant!

It screams out at the group,

HOLD RIGHT THERE! YOU GO NO FURTHER!

Bigmac
2007-10-22, 12:18 PM
Marcus stops when he hears the giant's challange. He meets the giant's stare and returns it tenfold. Marcus calls to the Giant in a loud voice, full of pride and strength. "I am Marcus Lowel, Lion of Sasserine, Master of the Blade and Hand, and I have come to challenge the mighty Ertoth in combat so that I might prove to him the perfection of the nine fold path. I have no qualms with you, and will let you live so that you can witness Ertoth's demise for yourself. You will let my troupe pass peacefully, or you will be destroyed before a single thought of regret for your foolish choice crosses your mind.

[roll0]

Bronz
2007-10-22, 12:25 PM
DM

The giant responds, and he almost seems to laugh before he does.

Chief Ertoth does not see puny things. You turn around, and leave forever.

You do this, or I blow horn.

He then takes out a horn from who knows what, but it is as big as any of the group's arms. It would surely alert anything within half a mile. More perhaps with the shape and possible echo of the pass.

He shakes the horn at the group a bit more, as if saying he wins the argument right there.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-22, 01:13 PM
The Harpist

...The Harpist inconspicuously gets out his harp, cocking his head to the side a little and being alert for any giveaway sounds, and readies an action to use an Eldritch Spear + Hammer Blast against that horn if the fire giant dares raise it to his lips.

"I have a better solution. You may underestimate 'puny things,' as you say, but if we can prove to you that we are not puny things, then you will allow us to pass. I assure you, we haven't walked this great a distance, climbing many peaks and-- Do you know of a band of hill giants down the road that way?" The Harpist points with a free hand down the road they had come by.

Bronz
2007-10-22, 01:21 PM
DM

I know of no puny things that are strong enough to even be in the presence of Ertoth! Or even worse, the princess!

I know of this band of hill giants. They have been stealing our own plunder, getting there faster than we can. We haven't been able to find them though.

The giant thinks for a moment...well, a good minute anyway.

If you take out those wannabe giants and bring proof of their destruction, I will escort you to Ertoth...but not to do battle! He would still squish you even if you do somehow overcome those other, lesser giants.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-22, 01:57 PM
Harpist

The Harpist looks briefly to the other members of the party with a hidden smile.
"One is always prepared to take the easy way. A simple ruse."

Trying to transfer a secret message - just bluff his way past this giant? [roll0]

Bigmac
2007-10-22, 03:46 PM
Marcus smells what The Harper is cooking and gives him a slight nod.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-22, 09:37 PM
Harpist

"We encountered the hill giants already, on the way here. Quite by chance. A simple ruse was all that it took - there is not a single one of those weak people left alive in that clan, I assure you."

The Harpist looks at the fire giant in the eye... As far as his dark lenses would allow. To him, so the Harpist is assured of, what he just said was gospel truth.

[roll0]

Bronz
2007-10-22, 10:04 PM
The fire giant, even from this distance, looks utterly shocked. He just cannot believe that a group of puny things could get the drop on even the lowliest of giants. But here was this one, claiming, and with confidence, that they were all dead. Can it truly be real? The fire giant looks utterly perplexed and confused.

So...so they are dead eh? Well why don't you have that otherworlder of yours go get their leaders pouch. In the mean time, I'll get ready for our travels.

The giant then puts his horn away, and begins to climb down.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-23, 09:12 PM
Wilarmis

If the giant gets far enough so that he can't hear Wilarmis' whispered spellcasting, Wilarmis willll cast Telepathic Bond.

Neftren
2007-10-23, 09:17 PM
Pelemaeus

"Pouch? What pouch? They all looked the same to us anyway... big, meaty and chunky. I think that huge firestorm I created probably vaporized the entire cave."

Assume that the firestorm would be one of our random and erratic sparring sessions or something.

Bronz
2007-10-24, 11:54 AM
The giant reacts to Pel in much the same way as he did to Wil. A puny thing doing all that, the work of giants? It really seems as though this particular fire giant is truly perplexed.

Alright, you follow me then. No funny tricks. Firestorms no work on us.

After finally figuring that a vaporization will not occur to him, this giant's bravado came right back.

The guard giant then leads you further through the pass. It seems to be a good thing that the group convinced this guard to let you through, as there are at least 10 more down this pass, most of them seeming the type to attack first, and ask questions later.

After a few miles however, the group comes upon an opening in the mountain range. They walk up the path a bit, and below them is literally a giant tribe. In sight there are about 20 giants, though there are many tents and giant-made caves, so there is sure to be more. Many ogres also line the landscape, seemingly doing the heavy lifting of boulders, making food, etc. Trolls are also about, and seem to be on guard duty. Two trolls in particular peak the group's interest, the fairly large one barking orders every so often and the quiet one, that seems to be blessing any battles to come.

The guard fire giant leads you down the path, into this mess, and brings you to the center of the encampment, where a giant bonfire rests. All around you there are hot springs pools as well, making the area extremely hot, and uncomfortable.

*You wait here. I will go get Ertoth*

The giant then leaves the group, and you are surrounded by potential enemies, but have a few moments to yourselves.

Bigmac
2007-10-24, 01:26 PM
Well, we're in the door. Now what should we do? Should I continue with the ploy that I am interested in fighting with him / learning from him? It's not a lie, I would like to fight him in combat. I just don't know what I'm gettig into. And if I win, how will the tribe react? If I lose, what happens to you? Also, from what the sentry said I'm thinking that the princess must be the one we're after, but how can we know for sure?

Raistlin1040
2007-10-24, 03:41 PM
Elzaon

I think you should keep it up, at least for now. The chief could be smarter than his grunts, and even if he's not, we don't want to fight a tribe of giants right now, especially if we can avoid it. I think the princess is probably the one we want. I suggest we knock her out and take her away as soon as possible. All these giants around unerve me.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-24, 11:29 PM
Wilarmis

I can use Web, Confusion, Haste, and / or Dimension Door to help us with escape, perhaps invisibility, but that'll only work on one of us.

Neftren
2007-10-25, 07:44 AM
Pelemaeus

" I can fly a short distance away with my armor, although I'd have to be picked up somewhere a short distance away. Another option would be to actually create a firestorm, thus confusing the giants..."

Bronz
2007-10-25, 11:55 AM
The now known fire giant comes out of one of the side caves, trailed by a true behemoth. A head and shoulders taller than any other giant in the encampment, the one known as Ertoth approaches the group. He wears a relatively decent chain shirt and carries a monstrous two-handed mallet. It looks like one swing with it would knock any of the group off their feet and possibly flying.

Ertoth comes up to the group, with the guard giant behind him. He stands 20' away from the nearest member of the party. After settling in his position and observing his guests, he finally speaks.

*Who are you to disturb us? I care not that you defeated giants that are barely giants. We are stronger.*

He pauses, just for a moment, and speaks again.

What do you want?

After Ertoth speaks to the group, it appears that the rest of the encampment is now staring. The full attention of a giant tribe has now been brought on the group, and it is a bit unsettling. (About 30 giants, 30 trolls, and 50 ogres currently in view)

Bigmac
2007-10-25, 04:10 PM
Marcus steps forwrd to address the giant. Before he does, he gives a slight bow. "Greetings Ertoth. I am Marcus Lowel, Lion of Sasserine, and Master of the Nine Paths. I have traveld the world in study of the sublime way. When Master Trent of Mysticae informed me of a Giant who also followed the path I travel, I set out at once to meet you for myself. Having met you, I hearby challenge you to the Test of the Compass!

Ture North, The Test of Understanding, for without comprehension one travels off course.

Due East, the Test of Insight, for the bringing of light shows how far one has yet to go.

The South, the Test of Endurance, for one cannot reach their destination in a day.

Onward West, the Test of Might, for to push on one must create his own path.

Now, mighty Ertoth, what stakes do you care to wager on this challenge? I am prepared to offer both Unfettered, and Supernatural Clarity as stakes on my part. Two of the legandary Nine Blades. What can you offer that compares?"

Wil, get your brain in gear and start thinking up some obsucre history relavent to the Nine Blades. Pel, you do the same. We have got to come up with something good. If he feels like I'm not worthy to challenge him, perhaps he'd consider facing a team of me an you Pel. Harper, this challenge should provide a good distraction. It can take a while, enough for you to slip away unnoticed perhaps and find our target. Wil and Elzaon, see if you can think of any spells that can give me an edge without beeing too obvious, or can help in the middle of battle if others are distracted. I hope he goes for this."

Bronz
2007-10-25, 04:17 PM
The giant named Ertoth laughs mightily at the formality of what is in front of him. After having calmed down, he takes his "huge" hammer and strikes the ground in front of him.

I take no challenges from those such as you. I am Ertoth, and this is MY domain! The only challenge is strength, and all those here know who possesses the most!

He then turns to all the onlookers, and to a giant all look either impressed or intimidated, or both. He truly does seem to command their attention.

Your path means nothing to me. If you do truly wish to challenge me, you do so on your life. I offer only a possibly painless death in return!

Neftren
2007-10-25, 04:22 PM
Pelemaeus

"Then if a duel is necessary, will you agree that in the event that you die, your fellow giants and ogres and trolls will allow us to leave, and in the even that we die, you will not dishonor us?"

I haven't had a chance to update maneuvers, but I might swap em out in a bit, to fit the Fire Giant's resistance to fire.

Bigmac
2007-10-25, 04:41 PM
Marcus grows so that he can look Ertoth in the eye. He stares at him with an intent glare.

Wil, El, now might be a good time for some super juice. I'll speak loudly and wildly enough that no-one should be watching.

Marcus bellows loudly at the Giant, making wide gestures so that he draws attention to himself.

"The challenge remains. That YOU do not take it shows how FEARFUL you are that you will be exposed. You do NOT follow the path. I, however, accept YOUR challenge. Since you already set the terms, I will quote the stakes. WHEN I defeate you, I want all Ertoth's possessions, to be carried out of here by person I chose. You will command your tribe not to interfere.

Raistlin1040
2007-10-25, 05:37 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon looks at the gathering, probably looking quite out of place.

"Super Juice"? I've got some mighty spells prepared, but he looks strong. Even if he can't mentally block my Harm spell, he might still survive. Our best bet might be to simply have Wil and I take out Ertoth in a few seconds, while you guys hold off the others. I could heal, and Wil could use his spells with a wide range to take them out by the tens.

Bronz
2007-10-25, 05:42 PM
Ertoth bellows loudly once more. Marcus is at an impressive height currently, but only at eye level with most of the other giants. Ertoth stands nearly 12' tall, and an enlarged Marcus gets up to 10.

Why would I order my tribe not to interfere? Assuming I am underestimating you that is pure nonsense. You came here, to MY home, and tell me I am fearful for not accepting a one on one challenge? HA! You puny things really are all the same. I will accept your challenge if you wish, and you will lose either if you defeat me or not.


The fire giants that surround the bonfire all nod their heads in agreement. Can't really tell with the trolls or ogres but it seems any fight might amuse them.

Neftren
2007-10-25, 06:17 PM
Pelemaeus

"While I do not trust you at all, I will be honorable, and withhold the use of the Desert Wind maneuvers. Your own element should not be used against you. That I will leave for you to use. Do you have a duel arena where we may participate in without harming your fellow subjects?"

Bronz
2007-10-25, 06:37 PM
Ertoth looks at Pel, apparently perplexed.

You don't fight for sport puny. You fight for life!

Raistlin1040
2007-10-26, 02:13 PM
Elzaon

I see. So you admit to being afraid of dying by fighting us? I can see no other explaination. You fight for life, but won't fight us. Seems to me...that you aren't exactly as brave and mighty as we have heard.

He says all of this while lightly fingering Night's Claw, not meeting the giant's gaze, and seeming rather bored.

Bronz
2007-10-26, 02:28 PM
Ertoth seems to be getting a little agitated at this point at the apparent goading for a fight.

There is no reason for Ertoth to fight you. You things are puny! You crawl on Ertoth like flies on a troll's mess. Ertoth can order whole tribe to murder the lot of you, and then we have dinner for tonight!

With this the crowd around you cheer, but the goading does seem to have some effect on the big giant and everyone else. Fire Giant's aren't honorable creatures, and it truly seems like the only thing holding them all back at this point is Ertoth's presence.

Ertoth speaks again, after the cheers.
There is no reason for me to give you fair fight. I do not need to test myself, or my guards, against the likes of you. Maybe I'll just consider you captives and we can have some fun with the trolls!

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-26, 08:01 PM
Wilarmis

So, have we agreed to slay these idiots or what? And if so, should I blast the giants or poke Ertoth around?

And when I say poke, I mean turn into dust.

Bronz
2007-10-27, 08:40 AM
Ertoth seems even more agitated, possibly growing impatient now.
What do you puny things want? Why have you invaded our tribe like this! TELL ME!

Look inside

Ertoth is attempting to intimidate the weakest looking one, the wizard of course.
[roll0]
Will save vs. the result or be intimidated and want to toell Ertoth what he wants, at least for the next round

Raistlin1040
2007-10-27, 11:36 AM
Just realized it's probably a different day since we left. Here's my spells for the day.

Level 0
Light
Detect magic X2
Detect Poison
Resistance X2

Level 1
Bane X2
Detect Good X2
Comprehend Languages
Curse Water X2

Level 2
Desecrate
Owl's Wisdom X2
Cure Moderate Wounds X3
Death Knell

Level 3
Animate Dead X2
Protection From Energy X3
Invisibility Purge

Level 4
Cure Critical Wounds X3
Dismissal
Hypothermia (SC)

Level 5
Spell Resistance
Summon Undead V X2 (SC)
Slay Living

Level 6
Harm X2
Heal

Level 7
Ressurection
Summon Monster VII

I got Spell Compedium today and I don't know if you have it or not. I changed a few spells, and if that's not OK, I'll change them back. If you'd like to know what they are, I could write up the descriptions in OOC

Elzaon

Elzaon sighs.

I think I could take him by myself if you guys keep the tribe out of it, at least for a little while.

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-27, 01:04 PM
Harpist

If we're going into combat like this, then I at least want to know Ertoth's reaction to our actual purpose, here. For all we know, it may be completely different from our expectations.

And then, Harpist speaks up.
"It may be true that we've come here to challenge you personally as a test of both of our skills. However, that intention is only secondary to the true reason for our visit."

Bronz
2007-10-27, 01:44 PM
Ertoth seems to get even angrier at the games being played. Apparently, he wants the group to get on with it.

THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE!

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-27, 01:54 PM
Harpist

Harpist looks up at Ertoth.
"We were sent by an anonymous party to retrieve for them a female within your ranks who is with child," he says simply.
"Challenging you to, *Ahem,* 'honorable' combat would be merely a perk."

Bronz
2007-10-27, 03:35 PM
You will not RETRIEVE any of my females, let alone those with child! And especially not my daughter!

Apparently Ertoth's patience and or temper has been broken. After his short tirade, he quickly turns around and screams at the top of his lungs.

KILL THEM!

With that order, the giants and trolls that surround you gather their weapons at their sides, and prepare to follow orders.

Neftren
2007-10-27, 03:48 PM
Pelemaeus

Initiative: [roll0]

Hit Points: 98
Armor Class: 35
Fortitude Save: +4, Reflex Save: +19, Will Save: +13

Attack Bonus: +20/+15/+10/+5
Weapon Damage: 1d6+3


With a flash, Supernal Clarity slides out of Pelemaeus's scabbard and flicks up into guard position. Without wasting any time to speak, Pelemaeus concentrates his inner self and prepares to fight with the perfect clarity necessary to master the art of the Diamond Mind.

Out of Character:Can we get a map of sorts, before I post combat actions?

Bronz
2007-10-27, 04:10 PM
Just so everyone has it, and Neftren you can change your action if you like (actions are really based on what happens around you, so I'll just take your init. count)

MAP! Round 1!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/Bronz1369/GiantTribe-Round1.jpg

//It's relatively large map, couldn't get it down so bare with me please. Combat ready giants are red, trolls green. Ertoth and the two "other" trolls are bright green. Troll1 is blesser, Troll2 barks orders. Each PC has their own position, hopefully you can read it.

Edit: Crap, wrong one! That should be good now!

Neftren
2007-10-27, 04:17 PM
That's the old Bar Map. I don't see any semblance of hot springs :smallconfused:

Raistlin1040
2007-10-27, 07:58 PM
Elzaon

Elzaon casts Harm, and moves next to Ertoth, attempting to touch him.

Touch attack [roll0]

(I realize it isn't my turn, but I can't guarantee another post tonight, so meh)

(OK, 2 Q's. Do critical failures apply to touch attacks, and because the spell discharges when it touches someone, does it stay with me if I miss?)

(Also, using my Dodge bonus against Ertoth.)

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-27, 08:51 PM
Yes and Yes.

Harpist
AC 23, Hp 78/78 (DR 3/Cold Iron), Init 8

Keep together. Do not let them surround you. Make sure that we have an escape route, the Harpist sends as he turns to face those loving and caring giantkind and takes out his harp.

Okay, a bit of if's, here. I love if's.
If the trolls and/or the giants have had their turn but do not threaten either the Harpist nor the path from him to AM29, then move to square AM29, shoulder-to-shoulder with Wil, and Repelling Cone to cover as many of the buggers as possible.
If the trolls and/or the giants have had their turn and threaten either the Harpist or the path from him to AM29, then stay put and Repelling Cone to cover as many of the buggers as possible.
If neither of them have had their turn, move to square AM29 and ready an action to Repelling Cone when any of them move to within 10 feet.

[Repelling Cone: Repelling Blast + Eldritch Cone, 8d6 damage (Ref DC 24 half), Ref DC 25 or be knocked 1d6 feet directly away and prone.]
[8d6 = 30 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1339314)]

Bronz
2007-10-28, 09:48 AM
The troll that keeps blessing the fighters gets right to it, and begins casting a spell of some sort.

Spellcraft DC 16

Enlarge Person


New Zoomed Map!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/Bronz1369/GiantTribe-Zoomed-1.jpg


//Neftren is up.

//Edited for a correction.

Neftren
2007-10-28, 11:40 AM
Pelemaeus

Pelemaeus twirls his sword, weaving delicate strands of shadow to choke Ertoth.

Standard Action - Ranged Touch Attack - Shadow Garrote
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1] Points of Damage

In addition, Ertoth must make a Fortitude Save of DC 13 + 3 = DC 16, or become Flat Footed until the start of his next turn. If Ertoth fails his save, then I will proceed to follow with the Shadow Noose Maneuver. If Ertoth makes his will save, I will move behind Wilarmis, to Square AM29.

Attack Roll: [roll2] against Ertoth's Touch AC again.
Damage Roll: [roll3] Points of Damage

He must make a DC 16 + 3 = DC 19 Fortitude Save or be stunned for one round.

Bronz
2007-10-28, 12:01 PM
Ertoth reels from the shadow as it attempts to choke him. He however shrugs it off and looks menacingly at Pel.

The Harpist then proceeds to move back 5', and stands ready to repel any giants or trolls that get within range.

//Raistlin is up

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-28, 02:30 PM
Wilarmis [Round 1]

Wilarmis steps over to AN28, and throws a Greater Invisibility onto Pelemaeus.

Bronz
2007-10-28, 03:17 PM
Ertoth screams at the chaos erupting around him. He turns around, and yells at the troll shaman behind him to hurry things up. He then turns to look directly at the cleric in front of him, who foolishly attempted to cause him pain.

Die puny black thing!

He then takes a mighty swing with his hammer, attempting to crush El's bones with one mighty swing.


[roll0]
[roll1] + 2 points of con if it hits
If attack hits, El might be flying backwards via the power of Ertoth's hammer
[roll2] vs. [roll3]

Martial Lore check to see what happens (DC 14)

Bonesplitting Strike



After the strike, El flies backwards 10', bouncing off the large Marcus and falling prone right in front of him. (square AR)

//BigMac's Turn

Bigmac
2007-10-28, 09:39 PM
Marcus

Marcus calls out to Wilarmis, "Keep your magic coming!" before he dissappears from sight for just a moment. He re-appears in front of the troll casting a spell. Knowing that spellcasting requires a lot of attention, Marucs uses the distraction to strike at the priest before fueling his blade with the power of chaos and attacking once more.

Swift Action: White Raven tactics on Wil, who's init drops to 5, but can act again normally at that new initiative.
Move Action: using shadow stride to teleport 50ft forward. That puts the troll caster in my threat range, and since he is casting that should provoke an AoO.
AoO attack - (1d20+21)[17](38) damage - (3d6+13)[2][2][4](21)
Divine Surge attack - (1d20+21)[8](29) damage - (3d6+13)[2][1][5](21) damage - (8d8)[1][1][6][1][3][1][2][1](16)


Edit: need to redo rolls since I didn't use rollv command and it matters in this stance.