PDA

View Full Version : Havelock Vetinari Vs. V

Seraph
2007-10-06, 10:14 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/83/200px-Lord_Vetinari.jpg

VS.

http://files.myopera.com/warthog/blog/pto_OS_V_09.jpg

there honestly doesn't need to be that much explanation, or setup. Vetinari and V are, well, diametrically opposed on a political level, and they are respectively possibly the only people capable of matching the other in a battle of wits and guile.

so, who do you think would come out of it alive?

Neftren
2007-10-06, 10:18 PM
I'm leaning towards Havelock Vetinari, he was trained as an Assassin in the Guild...and he was the best of them all... although V does get some substantial firepower in terms of modern weaponry. Then again, Vetinari can command the City Watch to arrest V.

BRC
2007-10-06, 10:21 PM
They wouldn't be working against each other for several reasons.
1) I havn't read the comic, but in the movie V is definetally against tyranny and a major supporter of freedom. Vetinari once killed (well directly caused the death of is more accurate) a tyrant of the type that V hates. Vetinari himself is actually a populist, in Feet of Clay he draws a person made up of lots of people and wearing a crown. If that isn't a populist image I don't know what is. V has absolutally no reason to oppose Vetinari, who is only a tyrant in the original sense of the word. Orginally a Tyrant was somebody who came to power through unusual means, in athens some of the greatest reformers and creaters of Athenian democracy were technically Tyrants.

Similarlly, since V has no reason to work against vetinari, vetinari, who works on the policy of "If it's not broken don't fix it" would have no reason to do anything against V except play a game of chess.

2) they have a similar taste in letters and facial hair.

Green Bean
2007-10-06, 10:28 PM
I would pay large sums of money to read/watch a story where the two went head to head. Still, I'm placing my money on Vetinari. Combat-wise, V has a bit of an advantage because of his technological edge, but that'll only go so far when you have someone as good as hiding himself as Vetinari. Of course, physical prowess probably wouldn't decide the battle. This would ultimately come down to a battle of wits. This is why Vetinari would win. While V is good at pulling the strings behind the scenes, only Vetinari is good enough to get the puppets to pull them for him.

Om
2007-10-07, 05:51 AM
1) I havn't read the comic, but in the movie V is definetally against tyranny and a major supporter of freedomAnd Vetinari is a dictator. He may be a reasonably benevolent tyrant, unless you are a mime, but he is still a dictator in every sense of the word. If he does not directly exercise his powers, preferring to rely on proxies such as Vimes and Moist, then it is out of choice. On more than one occasion, especially in Going Postal, the Patrician has flexed his full executive, and extra-judicial, powers.

Now I have also not read the V comics but based on the movie and what I've heard, plus an understanding of anarchism, I fail to see how V could possibly co-exist with such a tyrant.

Serenity
2007-10-07, 07:27 AM
Movie V might possibly, and that's a big possibly, tolerate Vetinari. Comic V, not a frickin' chance. As originally written by Alan Moore, V is an anarchist, who stands against any and all government.

Sundog
2007-10-07, 08:15 AM
Movie V might possibly, and that's a big possibly, tolerate Vetinari. Comic V, not a frickin' chance. As originally written by Alan Moore, V is an anarchist, who stands against any and all government.

Quite so.

That said, neither version of V has a problem with people choosing to work with (or under) another (freedom of choice is, after all, an Anarchist virtue).

Should Vetinari simply point out that, other than mimes, he pretty much lets people alone, V would probably be willing to tolerate his existence.

And if not, Vetinari has Vimes, Carrot, Angua and Detritus...whom I would back against V, I'm afraid.

Leon
2007-10-07, 08:23 AM
V would probably wind up in a goverment job that is in need of refresh and overhaul

psycojester
2007-10-07, 10:25 AM
Ah, Mr V. Tell me what do you know of town planning?

2007-10-07, 11:15 AM
V would start trying to manipulate people with little things to make them turn against Vetinari.

Vetinari would realize this, and start counter-manipulating those people into turning against himself.

Once he was "captured" he'd probably be put in that special cell he made for himself and relax with his cave rats.

The city would be thrown in anarchy just as V wanted. People would realize how idiotic anarchy is for someone who just wants a nice place to sleep and some food.

V would come down to laugh at Vetinari, would would've formulated some plan involving Carrot and Vimes. V would be captured by Detrius, who laughs at his knives and karate gimmicks with a siege balista.

Vetinari takes control of the city and pulls it from the brink. V is either displayed as a joke with his mask off working in the Shades, or else Vetinari manipulates him into becoming a henchmen/assassin for him.

Tengu
2007-10-07, 11:34 AM
Now that is a scaringly probably scenario, .... - I'd imagine it going along these lines, too.

Green Bean
2007-10-07, 11:38 AM
V would start trying to manipulate people with little things to make them turn against Vetinari.

Vetinari would realize this, and start counter-manipulating those people into turning against himself.

Once he was "captured" he'd probably be put in that special cell he made for himself and relax with his cave rats.

The city would be thrown in anarchy just as V wanted. People would realize how idiotic anarchy is for someone who just wants a nice place to sleep and some food.

V would come down to laugh at Vetinari, would would've formulated some plan involving Carrot and Vimes. V would be captured by Detrius, who laughs at his knives and karate gimmicks with a siege balista.

Vetinari takes control of the city and pulls it from the brink. V is either displayed as a joke with his mask off working in the Shades, or else Vetinari manipulates him into becoming a henchmen/assassin for him.

I could totally see that happening. Maybe at the end the reader discovers that Vetinari knew about the whole thing in advance, and let it happen so that people would recognize just how much they need him.

Vonriel
2007-10-07, 11:42 AM
I could totally see that happening. Maybe at the end the reader discovers that Vetinari knew about the whole thing in advance, and let it happen so that people would recognize just how much they need him.

Most likely. We are talking about a man who organized most of the plots to have himself overthrown.

psycojester
2007-10-08, 12:43 PM
Cool thought that scenario is i would love to see a V vs Ventanari knife fight. Pin and Tulip describe Ventanari as moving like a snake, and Tulip admits that he Ventanari would have killed him if he hadn't been shocked at what he saw when they first entered the oblong office, and on top of that he has a post-graduate degree from the assassins guild, so you know he's good.