PDA

View Full Version : Djinn pact revamp

stewstew5
2019-06-17, 02:19 PM
I recently created a warlock subclass called the pact of the Djinn and it was... exploitable, to say the least. I have improved upon it, and want to know if any glaring issues I might find

Wish
You can use your action to recreate the effects of a first-level Illusion, Conjuration or Transmutation spell with a duration longer than instantaneous. The effects of the spell last until the end of your next short rest or until you dismiss it, whichever is sooner. Illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. The effects can also be dismissed by anterior conditions such as dropping concentration if it is a concentration spell, or if conditions described in the spell to end it are met. You cannot create more than 100 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, or art objects with this feature, and objects created do not inherit any magical properties.

After using this feature, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again.
Once you reach third level, you may recreate the effects of second level spells and use this feature twice before needing a short or long rest, and at fifth level you may recreate third level spells and use this feature thrice.
Minor Wish
You know the prestidigitation, thaumaturgy, and druidcraft cantrips. Any time you create a non-instantaneous effect with one of these spells, you can make the effect last until the end of your next short rest. You cannot create more than 10 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, or art objects with this feature, and objects created do not inherit any magical properties.
Claustrophobe
Your patron has equipped you to escape trappings like theirs. At 6th level you gain advantage on any ability check made to escape a grapple or bond, as well as spells that would restrict your movement or attempt to control you
Into the Lamp
At 10th level you can force a fraction of your patron's curse onto others. You can use your action to choose a creature you can see. They must succeed on a wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. on a success, nothing happens. On a failure, they are transported to an extra dimensional space equal in size to them. While in this space, the only action they can take on their turn is attempting a strength saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure nothing happens. On a success, they are released from the space and re-appear in the space they occupied previously if you are with 120' of it, othereise they appear in the nearest empty space. Once you have used this feature, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest

If you have the Pact of the Magic Lamp, while you have the object you can use your action to bring the creature out of the space and into the world, or return it to the space. While out of the space the creature is under the effects of a dominate person spell as though cast by you, regardless of creature type. If they succeed a saving throw for this spell, they are immune to the effects of this feature for 24 hours
Greater Wish
You can use your action to recreate the effects of a first, second or third level Illusion, Conjuration or Transmutation spell with a duration longer than instantaneous. Illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. The effects of the spell last until the you dismiss it. The effects can also be dismissed by anterior conditions such as dropping concentration if it is a concentration spell, or if conditions described in the spell to end it are met. You cannot create more than 100 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, or art objects with this feature, and magic items created cannot be rarer than very rare.
After using this feature, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again. You cannot have more than one spell affected by this feature at a time.

Genie's wish
Any time you cast a conjuration spell with the summoning or utility efffect or an illusion spell with the control, shapechanging, creation or movement effects using a warlock spell slot or cast the prestidigaitation cantrip to produce a non-instantaneous effect, you may chose to change it's duration to indefinite. Spells with an Indefinite duration cannot be dispelled, nor can their effects end due to a time constraint, but their effects still end due to alterior conditions, such as a succesful saving throw or dropping concentration. Any illusions with an indefinite duration become real, interactable objects and cannot be revealed as illusions via inspection.

Following a short or long rest, all spells lose the indefinite duration and are immediately dispelled. You can apply this to a number of spells equalling your number of cantrips known from the warlock *cantrips known* table. You regain all uses of this feature following a long rest

Claustrophobe
Your patron has equipped you to escape trappings like theirs. At 6th level you gain advantage on any ability check made to escape a grapple or bond, as well as spells that would restrict your movement or attempt to control you

Into the Lamp
At 10th level you can force a fraction of your patron's curse onto others. You can use your action to choose a creature you can see. They must succeed on a wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. on a success, nothing happens. On a failure, they are transported to an extra dimensional space equal in size to them. While in this space, the only action they can take on their turn is attempting a strength saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure, they take 2d6 force damage. On a success, they are released from the space and re-appear in teh space they occupied previously, or the nearest empty space. Once you have used this feature, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest

If you have the Pact of the Magic Lamp, while you have the object you can use your action to bring the creature out of the space into the world, or return it to the space. You may use your action to command the target. You must maintain concentration, if you drop concentration they are freed from the effect. making the strength saving throw is a free action while they are out of the space

Greater Genie's Wish
At 14th level, you are given three wishes. Any time you cast a conjuration spell with the summoning or utility efffect or an illusion spell with the control, shapechanging, creation or movement effects using a warlock spell slot or cast the prestidigaitation cantrip to produce a non-instantaneous effect, you may use one of your wishes to make the spell's duration permanent. Any illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. Spells can still have their effects ended by saving throws or alterior conditions. You regain one use of this ability following a long rest

If you have three spells affected by this feature, and you affect a new spell with it, the longest-active spell is dispelled immediately and it's effects end. As an action, you may end this effect on any spell Immediately dispelling it

Pact of the Magic lamp
You obtain a tiny object in the form of a container, such as a jar or lamp. While you possess the object you can use your action to enter or exit an extradimensional space linked to it. The space is 15' by 15'. You can bring gear and other objects into this space as well.

The object has ac equal to 10 + your cahrisma modifier and hit points equalling your level + your charisma modifier. If the object is destroyed while you are inside you are forced out, as well as any gear you have on your person entering the nearest available space.

The object can be called to your hand with a one-hour ritual. If you use this feature to create a new object you cannot create another until you finish a long rest. You cannot have more than one object with this effect at a time

snafuy
2019-06-20, 02:24 PM
"Minor Wish" is okay.
"Wish" is a 100% bad name, too complicated, and absurdly overpowered. 3 extra spells per short rest, plus bonus features? Get rid of the higher level scaling entirely. But even then, I'm not a fan.
"Greater Wish" is 50% bad name, and has the same problems as "Wish" (since it's almost identical) plus the possibility of semi-permanent objects, which can be broken and abused.

I think you should use the actual Arabian jinn legends as a reference. The most common rewards were teleportation, secret knowledge, real estate, theft assistance. Some of those might fit as class features.

Into the Lamp is a good name, but your feature is weaker than Banishment. Make the 1st round automatic.

Pact of the Lamp is super strong at 3rd level, weak at upper levels, reasonable somewhere in between. But Pact of the Chain is bad in the exact same way, so I guess that's fair.

Edit Edit: "Wish" is equivalent to having a list of over 60 extra spells known, including Healing Spirit, Haste, Slow, Spirit Guardians. Even 1/short rest at 14th level is overpowered.

Edit 3: Even just the base 1st level version is an extra spell slot per rest, usable on Entangle, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Longstrider, and the most broken of all: Silent Image that makes temporary physical objects, aka Conjure Animals, Creation, Giant Insect, Wall of Stone, Force Cage (real cage), or simply "drop a 15 foot cube of [granite, ice, lava, vipers, etc] on the target".

Set the "Wish" idea on fire, and bury the ashes. It's not fixable.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-22, 08:22 PM
I remember falling in love with your lamp-pact, and I'd love to help out with the rest. .

Wish
Just have pact spells, man. There are so many spells that create something out of nothing, like Creation, that sound exactly what you're looking for.

Minor Wish
You know the prestidigitation, cantrip, and its duration is increased to 10 hours.

Not sure why the 1 hour duration isn't long enough, or why the extra few hours are important to you, but they're there so I'll respect that. Now it's muuuch simpler and nicer. It seems like you're really pushing for the creation part. Too bad that's a high level mechanic (just look at the forge cleric). Seems like your warlock has to spend most of his time working up to the concept you're aiming for :/
If the entire concept for this class íss "I can create stuff" we're going to have to really look at that separately.

Claustrophobe
I like making my homebrewes meld seamlessly with official content, even in such a way a player wouldn't realized its homebrewed. I achieve this affect by referencing official material, thus minimizing the amount of new mechanics a player has to learn.
Fore this feature, I recommend Freedom of Movement:

Starting at 6th level, your movement is unaffected by difficult terrain, and spells and other magical effects can neither reduce the your speed nor cause you to be paralyzed or restrained.

You can also spend 5 feet of movement to automatically escape from nonmagical restraints, such as manacles or a creature that has you grappled. Finally, being underwater imposes no penalties on the your movement or attacks.

Into the Lamp
Wait, isn't this also a spell?! Maze or something?

.. We have Prestigiditation, Freedom of Movement, Creation, that spell that banishes a creature to another dimension. Seems like this whole subclass can be created with a custom pact and a Houseruled pact spell list. Just have the entire subclass read
"You gain the Djinn pact spell list. At level 1, 3, 5, 7... You gain one additional known spell, but that spell must be from your pact spell list". Bam, problem solved, subclass made. The lamp part is pretty cool though, so you can definetly add that as a subclass feature at the same time the pact spell list grants the corresponding spell. I'd also like to point out that all your features are 4th Level Spells or higher, which means you hvar a pretty static image of how this warlock should play out. Remember a character grows stronger over time. They start with almost no meaningful class features and slowly work their way up. You have to have some small features for the lower levels. You can't just create a subclass made to represent a 10th level character.

Do this exercise for me: Write up a custom pact spell list as if were the only thing the warlock would get from this Patron, and post it as a reply.
From there we'll work on granting the warlock access and uses of those spells, and look at the creation part of the subclass, okay?

stewstew5
2019-06-23, 07:44 PM
I remember falling in love with your lamp-pact, and I'd love to help out with the rest. .

Wish
Just have pact spells, man. There are so many spells that create something out of nothing, like Creation, that sound exactly what you're looking for.

Not sure why the 1 hour duration isn't long enough, or why the extra few hours are important to you, but they're there so I'll respect that. Now it's muuuch simpler and nicer. It seems like you're really pushing for the creation part. Too bad that's a high level mechanic (just look at the forge cleric). Seems like your warlock has to spend most of his time working up to the concept you're aiming for :/
If the entire concept for this class íss "I can create stuff" we're going to have to really look at that separately.

Claustrophobe
I like making my homebrewes meld seamlessly with official content, even in such a way a player wouldn't realized its homebrewed. I achieve this affect by referencing official material, thus minimizing the amount of new mechanics a player has to learn.
Fore this feature, I recommend Freedom of Movement:

Into the Lamp
Wait, isn't this also a spell?! Maze or something?

.. We have Prestigiditation, Freedom of Movement, Creation, that spell that banishes a creature to another dimension. Seems like this whole subclass can be created with a custom pact and a Houseruled pact spell list. Just have the entire subclass read . Bam, problem solved, subclass made. The lamp part is pretty cool though, so you can definetly add that as a subclass feature at the same time the pact spell list grants the corresponding spell. I'd also like to point out that all your features are 4th Level Spells or higher, which means you hvar a pretty static image of how this warlock should play out. Remember a character grows stronger over time. They start with almost no meaningful class features and slowly work their way up. You have to have some small features for the lower levels. You can't just create a subclass made to represent a 10th level character.

Do this exercise for me: Write up a custom pact spell list as if were the only thing the warlock would get from this Patron, and post it as a reply.
From there we'll work on granting the warlock access and uses of those spells, and look at the creation part of the subclass, okay?

alright. I don't know where you got the 10 hours from, but you're right about how what I want from this class could just be a custom pact spell list. (although the actual spell list in question is mostly about wind and elementals)

The Spells
Disguise Self
Feather Fall
Jump
Longstrider
Silent Image
Alter Self
Darkvision (I know it's redundant with devil's sight but)
Dragon's Breath
Enhance Ability (not so much)
Enlarge/Reduce
Magic Weapon
Rope Trick
Skywrite
Conjure Animals
Haste
Phantom Steed
Tiny Servant
Giant Insect
Animate Objects
Creation (duh)
Seeming

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-24, 02:31 AM
The expanded spell list given to a warlock from his patron consists of 10 spells (https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/warlock#PactMagic-387), two of each spell level up to 5th.
Try again ^^

stewstew5
2019-06-24, 11:23 AM
The expanded spell list given to a warlock from his patron consists of 10 spells (https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/warlock#PactMagic-387), two of each spell level up to 5th.
Try again ^^

I already have the expanded spell list, I want the class features to reflect those spells

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-24, 12:06 PM
Alrighty, that means we can take 10 of these spells as your Expended Spell List, and create class features out of the rest. The ones I crossed over are the ones I think are better suited as class features.

1st Level
Disguise Self
Feather Fall
Jump
Longstrider
Silent Image

Since mobility is not a focus, but transmutation is, I think we can remove Jump and Longstrider. Warlock already has access to Expeditious Retreat if he wants mobility, and mobility is easy to introduce as a class feature. Silent Image is very thematic. Based on your other choices, altering appearence seems pretty important, so well definetly keep Disguise Self.

2nd Level
Alter Self
Darkvision
Dragon's Breath
Enhance Ability
Enlarge/Reduce
Magic Weapon
Rope Trick
Skywrite

Rope Trick will definetly be the lamp feature, I think you have it as a pact boon, so we can remove that form the expended list. You're right about Enhance Ability and Darkvision, so those are not priority picks. Skywrite feels underwhelming. This means you have to cut two more. Which of the remaining spells would you like to see as pact spells, and which do you absoloutely NEED as class features?

3rd Level
Conjure Animals
Haste
Phantom Steed
Tiny Servant

I think a subclass that gives access to haste leaves little design space for the rest of the features, so it's very economical to drop that one. Rest are all summoning spells, and I think you only need one. Which one is your favourite? How about pairing one summoning spell with Major Image?

4th Level
Giant Insect

You need one more spell for 4th level. How about fabricate or banishment?

5th Level
Animate Objects
Creation (duh)
Seeming

Due to the concept of creation and illution, I think animate object is the obvious cut.

Now we can go make class features, since we know what spells we don't need to dublicate. For example, giving your warlock a class feature that conjures animals, when you already have Conjure Animals and Giant Insect on your spell lists adds nothing to the subclass, and therefore should be avoided.

Is there a reason you suddenly don't think Freedom of Movement and Banishment are no longer important effects for your sublcass? What changed?

Anyways, since most of the class features in your OP can now be accounted for via the spells your warlock has access to, we can look at the creation part.
I honestly see no way to allow at-will create-something-out-of-nothing without dropping the "nothing" part. You could however, create a small list of things that could be done via your wish, and add that once the object leaves 10 feet of you, it vanishes into thin air. The main problem I see with creating stuff at will are combat benefits (I CREATE A +14 SWORD) and profit (I HAVE 1000 HEALING POTIONS, EACH GOES FOR 50GP). So by moving from the "spells are real" and more into the "You can create x, y and z. If you move more than 15 feet away from your conjured object, it vanishes and reappears in an empty space within 5 feet of you". you have created a reasonable conjuration effect that rewards creativity, but has clear limits. The more you limit a feature, the more design space you have. For example, making it "once per long rest" allows you to make a more powerful feature than if you would have it recharge on a short rest.

Vogie
2019-06-24, 04:09 PM
Wish
You can use your action to recreate the effects of a first-level Illusion, Conjuration or Transmutation spell with a duration longer than instantaneous. The effects of the spell last until the end of your next short rest or until you dismiss it, whichever is sooner. Illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. The effects can also be dismissed by anterior conditions such as dropping concentration if it is a concentration spell, or if conditions described in the spell to end it are met. You cannot create more than 100 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, or art objects with this feature, and objects created do not inherit any magical properties.

After using this feature, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again.
Once you reach third level, you may recreate the effects of second level spells and use this feature twice before needing a short or long rest, and at fifth level you may recreate third level spells and use this feature thrice.
Minor Wish
You know the prestidigitation, thaumaturgy, and druidcraft cantrips. Any time you create a non-instantaneous effect with one of these spells, you can make the effect last until the end of your next short rest. You cannot create more than 10 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, or art objects with this feature, and objects created do not inherit any magical properties.
Claustrophobe
Into the Lamp
At 10th level you can force a fraction of your patron's curse onto others. You can use your action to choose a creature you can see. They must succeed on a wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. on a success, nothing happens. On a failure, they are transported to an extra dimensional space equal in size to them. While in this space, the only action they can take on their turn is attempting a strength saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure nothing happens. On a success, they are released from the space and re-appear in the space they occupied previously if you are with 120' of it, othereise they appear in the nearest empty space. Once you have used this feature, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest

If you have the Pact of the Magic Lamp, while you have the object you can use your action to bring the creature out of the space and into the world, or return it to the space. While out of the space the creature is under the effects of a dominate person spell as though cast by you, regardless of creature type. If they succeed a saving throw for this spell, they are immune to the effects of this feature for 24 hours
Greater Wish
You can use your action to recreate the effects of a first, second or third level Illusion, Conjuration or Transmutation spell with a duration longer than instantaneous. Illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. The effects of the spell last until the you dismiss it. The effects can also be dismissed by anterior conditions such as dropping concentration if it is a concentration spell, or if conditions described in the spell to end it are met. You cannot create more than 100 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, or art objects with this feature, and magic items created cannot be rarer than very rare.
After using this feature, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again. You cannot have more than one spell affected by this feature at a time.

Pact of the Magic lamp
You obtain a tiny object in the form of a container, such as a jar or lamp. While you possess the object you can use your action to enter or exit an extradimensional space linked to it. The space is 15' by 15'. You can bring gear and other objects into this space as well.

The object has ac equal to 10 + your cahrisma modifier and hit points equalling your level + your charisma modifier. If the object is destroyed while you are inside you are forced out, as well as any gear you have on your person entering the nearest available space.

The object can be called to your hand with a one-hour ritual. If you use this feature to create a new object you cannot create another until you finish a long rest. You cannot have more than one object with this effect at a time

I like the idea but it's a bit all over the place. Lets break it down.

Wish - First off, it doesn't let you wish. Wish is a known quantity in DnD, and this isn't it. Call it Genie Magic, Djinn power, or anything else, just not Wish. As written now, it also allows you to create real money, spell components, weapons & armor that are just real. This is broken.

I would rather this be a variation on Minor Conjuration (the wizard feature), or something that gives you the Misty Visions invocation early and iterates on it. Another option is making the feature like a Forge Cleric's Artisan Blessing, where you can make a specific list of things out of something else (sand, maybe?)

Minor wish - You really can't have 2 first level features, named almost the same, that do similar things, except not. Focus on the one that gives you what you want the class to have, and lean into it.

To make it feel like an actual feature, make it a single feature, and then bonus cantrip(s).

Pact of the magic lamp
I feel like there should be more here. Is it a Bag of holding? Is it a rope trick? Both? It feels like It should be both, but instead it's just a portable spell.

Claustrophobe
At 6, warlocks get something great, that is gated by rests. Ribbon Abilities happen at level 10.

Into the Lamp
This is the type of thing that a Warlock would have at 6. It's a minor banishment, so it should be a charisma saving throw instead of Wisdom, and probably require your concentration to keep them sequestered. There should also be a duration that you can hide them in the lamp... Probably a minute.

Greater Wish
Name rant aside, this is exactly the same as Your Wish feature so I feel confused, unless you're increasing it from 3 to 4, which is... odd.

Of the spell list:
Disguise self, alter self, darkvision, and Silent Image are already available as invocations. So is Magic Weapon, to an extent, via Improved Pact weapon
I think you should lean more on the summoning side of things rather than the Haste/Enlarge/Enhance

So, if you implemented all of that, your class would look something like:

Pact of the Djinn

Bonus Cantrips
At 1st level, you learn the Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy cantrips. They count as warlock cantrips for you, but they don’t count against your number of cantrips known

Glamour of the Djinn
Starting at 1st level, you can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object around you, in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space that you can see within 10 feet of you once per short or long rest. This object can be no larger than 3 feet on a side (unless you're creating clothing around yourself, at which point it's sized to you), and its form must be that of a nonmagical object that you have seen. Investigating the object shows that it is magical. The object disappears when you use this feature again, or if the conjured object deals or takes any damage. Using any material created by this feature as a spell’s material component causes that spell to fail.

Pact Boon: Pact of the Magic Lamp

At 3rd level, a character dedicated to a Djinn can select this option instead of one of the warlock’s existing Pact Boon options.

You obtain a lamp the size of your hand, although it could take the form of another container such as a jar. It acts as a Bag of Holding. In addition, you can enter the extra-dimensional space linked to it as a ritual, although you can't spend more than an hour inside. You can exit the extra-dimensional space within the lamp or retrieve an object stored using an action.

Your magic lamp has AC equal to 10 + your charisma modifier and hit points equal to your level + your charisma modifier. If the object is destroyed while you are inside you are forced out, as well as any gear you have on your person entering the nearest available space.

If you lose your Magic Lamp, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement from your Patron. The ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous Lamp. The Lamp disappears in a flash of light when you die.

Into the Lamp
Starting at 6th level, you can force a fraction of your patron's curse onto others. You can use your action to choose a creature you can see within 60 ft. The target must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be banished. On a failure, you banish the target to a harmless demiplane for 1 minute. While in this space, the only action they can take on their turn is attempting a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure nothing happens. On a success, they are released from the space and re-appear in the space they occupied previously if you are with 120 ft of it, otherwise they appear in the nearest empty space.

Once you have used this feature, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest.

If you have the Pact of the Magic Lamp Boon, you can keep the target contained for a number of hours equal to your warlock level if they did not succeed a charisma saving throw within the 1 minute duration. At any time during the containment you can release the captured creature with an action in a space you can see within 60 ft.

Claustrophobe
Starting at 10th level, Your patron has equipped you to escape trappings like theirs. You ignore difficult terrain, gain advantage on all checks made to escape a grapple, manacles or other mundane or magical bindings, and have advantage on saving throws against being restrained or paralyzed.

Djinni Magic
Beginning at 14th level, you can call on your Patron to intervene on your behalf.

Using your action, describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than twice your warlock level, your Patron intervenes. The GM chooses the nature of the intervention; appropriate boons may include:

the effect of a spell 5th level or lower from any spell list
a magical object
The creation of a non-magical object of up to your level x 1000 gp in value
Imposing a condition on a target, for a maximum duration of 4 hours
Resistance to a damage type you choose for you, for a maximum duration of 4 hours
Immunity to a single spell or effect for you, for a maximum duration of 4 hours
Summoning an elemental creature to your side, for a maximum duration of 4 hours

If your Patron intervenes, you can’t use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, you can use it again after you finish a long rest.
At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.

That gives you the bonus cantrips, a minor conjuration feature, a Rope-Trick/Bag of Holding lamp, a Banish that acts differently if you have the lamp, your chosen ribbon, and a class-feature-sized Wish, using the Divine Intervention mechanic from clerics.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-24, 05:31 PM
Well, Vogie replied. Kinda means this thread is solved, congrats.

stewstew5
2019-06-24, 10:04 PM
I like the idea but it's a bit all over the place. Lets break it down.

Wish - First off, it doesn't let you wish. Wish is a known quantity in DnD, and this isn't it. Call it Genie Magic, Djinn power, or anything else, just not Wish. As written now, it also allows you to create real money, spell components, weapons & armor that are just real. This is broken.

I would rather this be a variation on Minor Conjuration (the wizard feature), or something that gives you the Misty Visions invocation early and iterates on it. Another option is making the feature like a Forge Cleric's Artisan Blessing, where you can make a specific list of things out of something else (sand, maybe?)

Minor wish - You really can't have 2 first level features, named almost the same, that do similar things, except not. Focus on the one that gives you what you want the class to have, and lean into it.

To make it feel like an actual feature, make it a single feature, and then bonus cantrip(s).

Pact of the magic lamp
I feel like there should be more here. Is it a Bag of holding? Is it a rope trick? Both? It feels like It should be both, but instead it's just a portable spell.

Claustrophobe
At 6, warlocks get something great, that is gated by rests. Ribbon Abilities happen at level 10.

Into the Lamp
This is the type of thing that a Warlock would have at 6. It's a minor banishment, so it should be a charisma saving throw instead of Wisdom, and probably require your concentration to keep them sequestered. There should also be a duration that you can hide them in the lamp... Probably a minute.

Greater Wish
Name rant aside, this is exactly the same as Your Wish feature so I feel confused, unless you're increasing it from 3 to 4, which is... odd.

Of the spell list:
Disguise self, alter self, darkvision, and Silent Image are already available as invocations. So is Magic Weapon, to an extent, via Improved Pact weapon
I think you should lean more on the summoning side of things rather than the Haste/Enlarge/Enhance

So, if you implemented all of that, your class would look something like:

Pact of the Djinn

Bonus Cantrips
At 1st level, you learn the Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy cantrips. They count as warlock cantrips for you, but they don’t count against your number of cantrips known

Glamour of the Djinn
Starting at 1st level, you can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object around you, in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space that you can see within 10 feet of you once per short or long rest. This object can be no larger than 3 feet on a side (unless you're creating clothing around yourself, at which point it's sized to you), and its form must be that of a nonmagical object that you have seen. Investigating the object shows that it is magical. The object disappears when you use this feature again, or if the conjured object deals or takes any damage. Using any material created by this feature as a spell’s material component causes that spell to fail.

Pact Boon: Pact of the Magic Lamp

At 3rd level, a character dedicated to a Djinn can select this option instead of one of the warlock’s existing Pact Boon options.

You obtain a lamp the size of your hand, although it could take the form of another container such as a jar. It acts as a Bag of Holding. In addition, you can enter the extra-dimensional space linked to it as a ritual, although you can't spend more than an hour inside. You can exit the extra-dimensional space within the lamp or retrieve an object stored using an action.

Your magic lamp has AC equal to 10 + your charisma modifier and hit points equal to your level + your charisma modifier. If the object is destroyed while you are inside you are forced out, as well as any gear you have on your person entering the nearest available space.

If you lose your Magic Lamp, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement from your Patron. The ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous Lamp. The Lamp disappears in a flash of light when you die.

Into the Lamp
Starting at 6th level, you can force a fraction of your patron's curse onto others. You can use your action to choose a creature you can see within 60 ft. The target must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be banished. On a failure, you banish the target to a harmless demiplane for 1 minute. While in this space, the only action they can take on their turn is attempting a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure nothing happens. On a success, they are released from the space and re-appear in the space they occupied previously if you are with 120 ft of it, otherwise they appear in the nearest empty space.

Once you have used this feature, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest.

If you have the Pact of the Magic Lamp Boon, you can keep the target contained for a number of hours equal to your warlock level if they did not succeed a charisma saving throw within the 1 minute duration. At any time during the containment you can release the captured creature with an action in a space you can see within 60 ft.

Claustrophobe
Starting at 10th level, Your patron has equipped you to escape trappings like theirs. You ignore difficult terrain, gain advantage on all checks made to escape a grapple, manacles or other mundane or magical bindings, and have advantage on saving throws against being restrained or paralyzed.

Djinni Magic
Beginning at 14th level, you can call on your Patron to intervene on your behalf.

Using your action, describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than twice your warlock level, your Patron intervenes. The GM chooses the nature of the intervention; appropriate boons may include:

the effect of a spell 5th level or lower from any spell list
a magical object
The creation of a non-magical object of up to your level x 1000 gp in value
Imposing a condition on a target, for a maximum duration of 4 hours
Resistance to a damage type you choose for you, for a maximum duration of 4 hours
Immunity to a single spell or effect for you, for a maximum duration of 4 hours
Summoning an elemental creature to your side, for a maximum duration of 4 hours

If your Patron intervenes, you can’t use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, you can use it again after you finish a long rest.
At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.

That gives you the bonus cantrips, a minor conjuration feature, a Rope-Trick/Bag of Holding lamp, a Banish that acts differently if you have the lamp, your chosen ribbon, and a class-feature-sized Wish, using the Divine Intervention mechanic from clerics.

I had improved upon this a short while after creating the thread, and I didn't update it. My new "Minor Wish" goes as follows:

You can use your action to recreate the effects of a first-level Illusion, Conjuration or Transmutation spell with a duration longer than instantaneous. The effects of the spell last until the end of your next short rest or until you dismiss it, whichever is sooner. Illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. The effects can also be dismissed by anterior conditions such as dropping concentration if it is a concentration spell, or if conditions described in the spell to end it are met. You cannot create more than 100 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, art objects or precious metals with this feature, and objects created do not inherit any magical properties outside of as described by the spell

You can use this feature once and regain all uses following a short or long rest. You gain an additional use at level five.

Is this quite as broken as before? could it be kept as is? It's my favourite part of this subclass and what drove me to finish the rest

Vogie
2019-06-25, 01:32 PM
I had improved upon this a short while after creating the thread, and I didn't update it. My new "Minor Wish" goes as follows:

You can use your action to recreate the effects of a first-level Illusion, Conjuration or Transmutation spell with a duration longer than instantaneous. The effects of the spell last until the end of your next short rest or until you dismiss it, whichever is sooner. Illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. The effects can also be dismissed by anterior conditions such as dropping concentration if it is a concentration spell, or if conditions described in the spell to end it are met. You cannot create more than 100 gold pieces worth of currency, gems, art objects or precious metals with this feature, and objects created do not inherit any magical properties outside of as described by the spell

You can use this feature once and regain all uses following a short or long rest. You gain an additional use at level five.

Is this quite as broken as before? could it be kept as is? It's my favourite part of this subclass and what drove me to finish the rest

I mean, making things for free is really powerful - Even if your Minor Wish JUST gave a single casting of Silent Image, and make it real... that's the Illusionist Wizards' 14th level ability. And even the Illusory Reality feature makes it real for only 1 minute of the duration. You're saying any of these three spell schools, and last until dismissed or rest.

You also have to decide what precisely that you want. For example, the Warlock spell list has only 3 1st level spells that would apply to what you want - Expeditious Retreat (Transmutation), Illusory Script (Illusion) and Unseen Servant (Conjuration)... and Illusory Script already has a duration of 10 days. If you wanted this feature to JUST do one of those three spells (plus whatever your expanded spell list is), then it's fine. It'd basically be Long-duration Unseen Servant, or have 1/3rd of the Rogue's Cunning Action at a 66% discount.

Were you opening it up to first level spells from all lists? So the DjinnLock could just use an action to cast any of the following:

Disguise Self
Feather Fall
Jump
Longstrider
Silent Image
Fog Cloud
Entangle
Ensnaring Strike
Hail of Thorns
Zephyr Strike
Color Spray
Grease
Floating Disk
Going from 3 to 16 potential options. That, is where it's broken. At level 1, the DjinnLock would have more potential spells to tap into than a 20th-level warlock (invocations nonwithstanding).

So figure out what precisely you want the feature to actually DO.

The Glamour of the Djinn ability I posted is one where you can just create things using genie magic, very broad and brief, based on Conjuration

If you're going for an Aladdin-style Illusion genie, where you can rub your hands together to look like a prince riding on an elephant, then do that. For Example:

Perception Filter
Starting at 1st level, your Djinn has created a new persona for you. You gain the Mask of Many Faces invocation, which doesn't count towards your invocations known, and you can use your action to magically create produce documentation, such as official papers, maps and personal letters, to prove your new identity. Documents created using this feature only reveal themselves as magical with a DC 20 investigation check, and last until your next rest. You can't exchange the Mask of Many Faces invocation when you gain a level in this class.
At 3rd level, you can also use this feature to cast Phantom Steed as a ritual.
Which is basically a magic version of the Charlatan's False Identity feature to tie the other 2 together

If you want a Swiss army knife of effects, then choose the desired effects. The Shadow Monk's first feature gives Minor Illusion, Darkness, Darkvision, Pass without Trace, or Silence, and that's a massive amount of utility in those 5 spells... so pick no more than 5 things that define the "Minor Wishes" that you can have the Djinnlock have at their fingertips

Minor Wish
Starting at 1st level, your patron has vowed to keep you safe. As a reaction, you can cast Healing Elixir, Feather Fall, Shield, Water Breathing, or Fog Cloud, without expending a spell slot. You regain this feature when you complete a short or long rest.

If you want the character to create things from nothing, and have that be the schtick, you have to figure it out as tied to the level it's available. You can't, and shouldn't, just give the player Free Fabricate or Creation at level 1, because those are level 4 & 5 spells. But at level 6 you could give Fabricate - Warlocks get 4th level spells at level 7, so it's not that much of a stretch. I used that for my Gate Of Truth patron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553811-Warlock-Patron-Based-on-Fullmetal-Alchemist-PEACH) based on the Transmuters of Fullmetal Alchemist. Having a superpowered Creation spell variant could be your 14th level feature, instead of a Wish-variant.

However, if you still want a 1st level creation ability, you can have that - it'd just be 1st-level appropriate. For example:

Cave of Wonders
Starting at 1st level, your patron has given you access to their otherworldly cache. As a bonus action, you can summon one of the following to your hand:

5 arrows, bolts, or darts
an item from the tools or adventuring gear table worth 15 Gold or less
two biscuits, cookies, sandwiches, berries or other similar foodstuffs, which can be eaten with an action and restore 1 hit point.
The object(s) are visibly magical, radiating dim light out to 5 feet, and cannot be sold. These items disappear when you use the feature again, if they are more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more, when you dismiss them as a bonus action, or when you complete a short or long rest.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Note, there shouldn't be an option to just summon weapons, as that ability is already available via the Blade Pact, but giving the ability to create ammunition isn't something that already exists for the warlock (RIP Moon Bow invocation). This type of thing also gives the feel of the Djinn-y "hammerspace" for Djinnlocks that DON'T take the Pact of the Lamp, without stepping on the toes of the feature if you do get it.

stewstew5
2019-06-25, 11:11 PM
I mean, making things for free is really powerful - Even if your Minor Wish JUST gave a single casting of Silent Image, and make it real... that's the Illusionist Wizards' 14th level ability. And even the Illusory Reality feature makes it real for only 1 minute of the duration. You're saying any of these three spell schools, and last until dismissed or rest.

You also have to decide what precisely that you want. For example, the Warlock spell list has only 3 1st level spells that would apply to what you want - Expeditious Retreat (Transmutation), Illusory Script (Illusion) and Unseen Servant (Conjuration)... and Illusory Script already has a duration of 10 days. If you wanted this feature to JUST do one of those three spells (plus whatever your expanded spell list is), then it's fine. It'd basically be Long-duration Unseen Servant, or have 1/3rd of the Rogue's Cunning Action at a 66% discount.

Were you opening it up to first level spells from all lists? So the DjinnLock could just use an action to cast any of the following:

Disguise Self
Feather Fall
Jump
Longstrider
Silent Image
Fog Cloud
Entangle
Ensnaring Strike
Hail of Thorns
Zephyr Strike
Color Spray
Grease
Floating Disk
Going from 3 to 16 potential options. That, is where it's broken. At level 1, the DjinnLock would have more potential spells to tap into than a 20th-level warlock (invocations nonwithstanding).

So figure out what precisely you want the feature to actually DO.

The Glamour of the Djinn ability I posted is one where you can just create things using genie magic, very broad and brief, based on Conjuration

If you're going for an Aladdin-style Illusion genie, where you can rub your hands together to look like a prince riding on an elephant, then do that. For Example:

Which is basically a magic version of the Charlatan's False Identity feature to tie the other 2 together

If you want a Swiss army knife of effects, then choose the desired effects. The Shadow Monk's first feature gives Minor Illusion, Darkness, Darkvision, Pass without Trace, or Silence, and that's a massive amount of utility in those 5 spells... so pick no more than 5 things that define the "Minor Wishes" that you can have the Djinnlock have at their fingertips

If you want the character to create things from nothing, and have that be the schtick, you have to figure it out as tied to the level it's available. You can't, and shouldn't, just give the player Free Fabricate or Creation at level 1, because those are level 4 & 5 spells. But at level 6 you could give Fabricate - Warlocks get 4th level spells at level 7, so it's not that much of a stretch. I used that for my Gate Of Truth patron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553811-Warlock-Patron-Based-on-Fullmetal-Alchemist-PEACH) based on the Transmuters of Fullmetal Alchemist. Having a superpowered Creation spell variant could be your 14th level feature, instead of a Wish-variant.

However, if you still want a 1st level creation ability, you can have that - it'd just be 1st-level appropriate. For example:

Note, there shouldn't be an option to just summon weapons, as that ability is already available via the Blade Pact, but giving the ability to create ammunition isn't something that already exists for the warlock (RIP Moon Bow invocation). This type of thing also gives the feel of the Djinn-y "hammerspace" for Djinnlocks that DON'T take the Pact of the Lamp, without stepping on the toes of the feature if you do get it.

I definitely see the issue here... I like your third suggestion, it's definitely the most in-spirit for this subclass, so let's try that

Djinni Magic
Once per short rest, you may cast one of the following spells at their lowest level without expending a spell slot
Disguise Self
Silent Image
Alternatively, you could use this feature to create an object of your choosing, no longer than 2 metres in any dimension, either in your hands or in an unoccupied space within 10' of you. If the object is moved further than 20' from you, it immediately teleports to an unoccupied space within 10' of you. The object disappears following a short rest

Once you reach third level, the following spells are added to the list:
Enlarge/Reduce
Invisibility
and again at 5th level, the Major Image spell is added to this list

This could also open up to some invocations to add to the list

Vogie
2019-06-26, 09:39 AM
I definitely see the issue here... I like your third suggestion, it's definitely the most in-spirit for this subclass, so let's try that

Djinni Magic
Once per short rest, you may cast one of the following spells at their lowest level without expending a spell slot
Disguise Self
Silent Image
Alternatively, you could use this feature to create an object of your choosing, no longer than 2 metres in any dimension, either in your hands or in an unoccupied space within 10' of you. If the object is moved further than 20' from you, it immediately teleports to an unoccupied space within 10' of you. The object disappears following a short rest
Once you reach third level, the following spells are added to the list:
Enlarge/Reduce
Invisibility
and again at 5th level, the Major Image spell is added to this list

This could also open up to some invocations to add to the list

Okay, that you can work with. However, it is breaking down in a very exploitable pattern that actually makes it more spread out

For example, you could do this:

Expanded Spell List
The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Silent Image, Disguise Self

2nd
Invisibility, Enlarge/Reduce

3rd
Major Image, Create Food & Water

4th
Fabricate, Stone Shape

5th
Creation, Skill Empowerment

Djinni Magic
Starting at 1st level, you can seemingly create objects out of thin air. As an action, You create an object of your choosing, no longer than 2 meters in any dimension, either in your hands or in an unoccupied space within 10' of you. The object(s) are visibly magical, radiating dim light out to 5 feet, and cannot be sold. These items disappear when you use the feature again, if they are more than 20 feet away from you for 1 minute or more, if the conjured object deals or takes any damage, or when you complete a short or long rest. Using any material created by this feature as a spell’s material component causes that spell to fail.

In addition, you can cast a single one of the spells from the Djinn expanded spell list at its lowest level, without expending a spell slot or material components. You can only cast a spell in this way if it is a level equal to your spell slot level or lower. Once you've cast a spell in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

This way, it acts very similarly to a domain spell from cleric/paladins. You can learn the spells, or just cast using Djinni magic, or both. Feel free to adjust the spell list beyond Major Image, but I just threw some other Conjuration, Transmutation, and Illusion spells, and Fabricate.