PDA

View Full Version : 5e background: Celebrity Chef

Inmate XIII
2019-06-20, 12:35 PM
Okay I've been using this background in my own homebrew for a while, but I'd like to get some opinions on it and maybe refine it further. A Celebrity Chef background. It's basically a variant on Entertainer and shares it's "By Popular Demand" feature, but with different proficiencies and a modified inventory.

Anyway, here it is:

Skill Proficiencies: Nature, Performance
Tool Proficiencies: Chef's Utensils, either Herbalism Kit or Brewer's Supplies
Equipment: Cook's Utensils, a book for recipies, a costume (a chef's outfit), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Feature: By Popular Demand
You can always find a place to perform, usually in an inn or tavern but possibly with a circus, at a theater, or even in a noble's court. At such a place, you receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of the establishment), as long as you perform each night. In addition, your performance makes you something of a local figure. When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed, they typically take a liking to you.

I figure nature is appropriate, since that would help in identifying ingredients, though I could see survival being more apt, since both foraging and butchering hunted animals rely on that.

Performance should be fairly obvious, people go to Japanese steakhouse for the show was much as the food, and half the fun of going to someone like Gordon Ramsay's restaraunts is seeing the master chef in action.

Everything else I feel is rather self explanitory.

Thoughts?

Breccia
2019-06-21, 07:30 AM
Just about every Background I can find has four profs between skills, languages, and tools. So I don't see the problem with the game balance (the money even seems okay considering cook's utensils are cheap).

If it fits the flavor of the world you're building, I say go for it. Also, purely because it fits:

"This background is so overspiced I can hear it singing If You Wanna Be My Lover!" *throws pots*