PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Items

SleepingOrange
2007-10-07, 06:33 PM
Call me sadistic, but I've always liked creating cursed objects. A couple of mine can be found below:

Ring of Giggles:
This ring can be forged to look like any other ring, although many are a simple gold or silver band with a bright pink stone set in it. Unless the caster decides to disguise the ring as another type, it does not appear to have any magical properties. However, once the ring is worn, any time the wearer tries to speak or cast a spell with verbal components, she must succeed on a DC 10+Creator's Caster Level Will Save or be compulsed into emitting a fit of giggles; if she fails by 10 or more, she is forced into a gale of loud guffaws, lasting 1d4-1 (min 1) rounds. These effects make spell-casting impossible, and, if triggered by casting a spell, automatically make that spell fail. On a successful save, the wearer is un-aware of the save (the DM should make this save secret). Once the wearer has failed her first Will save, the ring cannot be romved except by a Remove Curse spell.
Moderate Enchantment;CL 12th; Forge Ring, Tasha's Hideous Laughter

Quaal's Feather Token, Dust:
This item can look like any other Quaal's feather token, but the only function is, when activated, it will act as though Dust of Sneezing and Choking had been cast over a 50-foot radius centered around the token.
Faint Conjuration; CL 7th; Create Wondrous Items, Poison

Clingy Sapphire:
This gem appears to be a lustrous but small star sapphire worth about 1000 GP. Once touched, though, the sapphire sticks indelibly to the toucher and any-one else he touches with the gem, as though it had been coated with Sovereign Glue; however, Universal Solvent cannot be used to remove the gem. Only a Remove Curse spell can. Additionally, the gem, every 1d20 hours, creates a duplicate of itself, which has a 75% chance of ALSO sticking to the original toucher. Each casting of Remove Curse only removes one sapphire. A Clingy Sapphire only creates duplicates while stuck to a creature.
Moderate Transmutation; CL 10th; Create Wondrous Items, Make Whole

Kyace
2007-10-07, 10:55 PM
Clingy Sapphire:
This gem appears to be a lustrous but small star sapphire worth about 1000 GP. Once touched, though, the sapphire sticks indelibly to the toucher and any-one else he touches with the gem, as though it had been coated with Sovereign Glue; however, Universal Solvent cannot be used to remove the gem. Only a Remove Curse spell can. Additionally, the gem, every 1d20 hours, creates a duplicate of itself, which has a 75% chance of ALSO sticking to the original toucher. Each casting of Remove Curse only removes one sapphire. A Clingy Sapphire only creates duplicates while stuck to a creature.
Moderate Transmutation; CL 10th; Create Wondrous Items, Make Whole

Err, you are aware that means on average, the number of gems will increase by x4 every 21 hours (average roll of 1d20 is 10.5), and, on average, the number of sticking ones increase by x3 every 21 hours. So if your cleric don't have remove curse on the first day, your cleric will need to prepare 3 copies tomorrow or 9 copies two days later, or 27 copies three days later, 81 four days later... Effectively, you will be covered with sapphires very quickly if you don't take action the first day and on the first day, it doesn't really appear to be a threat, just an annoyance.

Don't make items with exponential growth in them. Assuming each gem weighs one ounce and you craft one, 38.5 days after you've crafted that one, the mass of gems will weigh more than the earth. 46.375 days after you've crafted the first, it will weigh more than the sun. 56 days, it'll have more mass than the supermassive blackhole at the center of our galaxy.. 63.87500 days = more mass than our galaxy as a whole. 78.75 days after crafting the first gem, there will be more mass in the clump of gems than in all of the observable universe. Not bad for a level 10 caster.

SleepingOrange
2007-10-07, 11:06 PM
Quite so. Yes, I agree, I should have put some limits on the growth but either way, it's pretty amusing. I just do these for my own amusement–what serious DM would include an adhesive jewel or giggly ring as a Deadly Cursed Item~~~? The only half-way serious one essentially causes ridiculous alleriges. Woo. Fear it. That said, A 10th level mage desroying the universe IS pretty sweet. And I can exponential all I want to, thanks. :smalltongue:

Mostly, I'm just impressed you calculated all that.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-07, 11:22 PM
Mostly, I'm just impressed you calculated all that.

He didn't. Kyace and I are travellers from the future. We've come to warn you not to create that item.

Kyace
2007-10-08, 12:06 AM
He didn't. Kyace and I are travellers from the future. We've come to warn you not to create that item.
Haha, what a funny joke.

Hush, they must not know.