PDA

View Full Version : Versus Threads in the Playground

Om
2007-10-08, 07:14 AM
Can the admins please do something about the seemingly endless waves of Versus threads that are currently plaguing the forums? These are inane and pointless exercises that would be far better suited in the SMBG forum. Until now I've avoided the threads, largely in the hope that they would go away, but its gotten to the point where this is becoming difficult. At the time of writing the Media Discussion forum has no less than 17 (out of 50) Versus threads on its front page!

What I would like to see is a simple rule that kicks all these threads to either their own subforum or (preferably) to SMBG. Just stop them clogging up the rest of the forums. Please, they're just silly

Artemician
2007-10-08, 07:30 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Versus threads. While you may classify them as inane and pointless, some people would also consider threads about Hand Dexterity, Romantic Entanglement, or Random Banter to be a waste of time as well.

As for the subforum/SMBG suggestion, the same sort of suggestion was mooted for 4E threads, but it appears not to have been needed.

Lord Herman
2007-10-08, 08:30 AM
I'm getting a bit tired of people treating SMBG as a 'spam bin'. Sure, the threads in SMBG are more light-hearted than those in other forums, but that doesn't mean that any inane spam thread should be moved there.

Versus threads, however inane and pointless, should be in the forum appropriate to the topic (media for movie/book characters, other games for video game characters, etc).

I'm all for banning versus threads alltogether, but don't just dump them in SMBG.

Emperor Tippy
2007-10-08, 08:47 AM
Can the admins please do something about the seemingly endless waves of Versus threads that are currently plaguing the forums? These are inane and pointless exercises that would be far better suited in the SMBG forum. Until now I've avoided the threads, largely in the hope that they would go away, but its gotten to the point where this is becoming difficult. At the time of writing the Media Discussion forum has no less than 17 (out of 50) Versus threads on its front page!
Innane and pointless? I have learned a lot about many different games, books, movies, and tv shows from all of those vs, threads. A few have even got me to go out and get the book, Movie, Game, or TV Show in question.

It is also interesting that many vs. thread gets far more responses than most other threads in Media Discussion. 5 of the 10 longest threads on the first page in Media Discussion are vs. threads.

What I would like to see is a simple rule that kicks all these threads to either their own subforum or (preferably) to SMBG. Just stop them clogging up the rest of the forums. Please, they're just silly
You think their silly, I think every asinine thread saying that "OMG! Fighters are teh win!11!1" are silly. And all those "Monks are overpowered" threads are silly. I don't complain about them. They are in the right forum. I might not respond to them (and its one of the reasons I spend a lot less time in the Gaming forum than I used to) but they belong there.

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-08, 08:59 AM
I think that it would be refreshing if the Versus threads started picking up some new topics beyond Stargate, Star Wars, Star Trek, Warhammer 40k, Halo, and any others that I'm forgetting. I agree that those are getting kind of worn out.

Green Bean
2007-10-08, 09:03 AM
There's nothing wrong with these threads. Most of them are filled with honest debate and discussion, much like any other thread. I've yet to see one locked because of flaming or political discussion, so it's not like they are disrupting the boards, unlike certain other topics on occasion (I'm looking at you, alignment threads). People seem to enjoy making and posting in these threads, and they aren't breaking any of the rules as far as I'm aware. What's the harm?

Anyway, if it's bugging you so much, just be patient. I've been through this very same thing of the Comic Book board (twice), and trust me when I say that this too shall pass. These things come in cycles, and while now it seems like it's unending, eventually the versus threads will return to a reasonable number, just like what happened with the 4e threads.

banjo1985
2007-10-08, 09:16 AM
I personally don't read or post in versus threads because they don't interest me, but that doesn't mean that they don't have a place in the forums. They're fine where they are, they make sense where they are, and with the amount of replies they get I suppose plenty of people like them.

I am however totally against throwing them into SMBG. SMBG is what it is, games with at least some element of form to them, no matter how silly and light hearted. A Versus thread is a discussion thread, and as such belongs in the appropriate area that the discussion is based on, be it Media, or games etc. SMBG and Vs threads are very different animals, most of us don't want them dumped on us, most of us probably don't want them and they serve purpose for people that like them quite well where they are.

However I must admit, 16 on the first page of Media Discussions is a bit crazy.

Artemician
2007-10-08, 09:25 AM
And speaking of "inane and pointless"..

Compare a quote from a VS thread

Because gravemind is a mass conscience. An organism made of organisms. If one is destroyed, a new one forms. If one part becomes threatened, it is sacrificed. The zerg and flood both infest new species by burrowing into them and controlling them. Difference is that Zerg make more themselves, while flood just find more to kill and take. Zerg need an intact, complete host to control. Flood just need biomass.

I give it to the flood, especially considering the gravity-defying ability of the combat forms, as well as the wall crawling and spine-shooting of the "pure" forms. Hell, all they'd need to do to gain aerial ability is to down a mutalisk. They take that mutalisk, down more mutalisks, and take those as well. If one dies they infest it again. Zerg don't have that advantage.

with some random quotes from the SMBG boards

Fortunently, someone on a plane grabs you before you get mugged, and starts flying away.

No idea. I was taken by the sith as a child. I'll have the ribs.

Granted, there are examples of posts in the Vs threads that are inane and pointless, but if these are tolerated in the SMBG boards, I fail to see why they will not be tolerated in the Media boards.

And before someone goes "But they don't count towards Post Count":...

1) Post Counts shouldn't matter, ideally.
2) A quote from Friendly Banter:

Why? Do you got some white? Does your momma have some white? Think she'll notice if its gone for a few days? What quality you got?

Like other people have said, different strokes for different folks. I personally see that the above quotes (except for the Vs one) are inane and pointless. But other people would doubtless disagree. The same courtesy should be extended to the Vs threads.

Tirian
2007-10-08, 09:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with these threads. Most of them are filled with honest debate and discussion, much like any other thread.

I'll grant that the people are can be clever and well-spoken, but I'm not sure that I could characterize the debate as "honest". Contemplating what would happen if the Borg tried to assimilate the Death Star is a fine topic for fanfiction, but it loses its luster when you try to objectively compare the power levels of the forces from two different universes. And it gets just plain tedious when people try to earnestly discuss whether Batman or Squirrel Girl has the more absolute plot armor.

I agree that there is basically "nothing wrong with these threads": if nothing else, they tend to be well-labeled and you can just choose to not read any threads that have "vs." in the title. On the other hand, collecting these threads into a local resolution might be nice as well. Perhaps someone could host a "Galactic Menace Species in the Playground" contest in which all of these candidates could square off in a regulated Battle Royale and the sentiment of the forum could be established.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-08, 10:05 AM
I think that it would be refreshing if the Versus threads started picking up some new topics beyond Stargate, Star Wars, Star Trek, Warhammer 40k, Halo, and any others that I'm forgetting. I agree that those are getting kind of worn out.
Exactly. Their range of topic choices is rather small. :smallyuk:

I think some of the vs. threads we could do without. They don't bother me, per se, but there's just too many of them. And Herman is right, SMBG isn't a "spam bin."

Artemician, it's tolerated in SMBG because that's what that board is for.

Castaras
2007-10-08, 10:09 AM
I'm getting a bit tired of people treating SMBG as a 'spam bin'. Sure, the threads in SMBG are more light-hearted than those in other forums, but that doesn't mean that any inane spam thread should be moved there.

Here here!

Just leave them, they don't seem to be doing much harm, and are loads of fun to read.

Artemician
2007-10-08, 10:10 AM
Exactly. Their range of topic choices is rather small. :smallyuk:

I think some of the vs. threads we could do without. They don't bother me, per se, but there's just too many of them. And Herman is right, SMBG isn't a "spam bin."

Artemician, it's tolerated in SMBG because that's what that board is for.

You say SMBG isn't a spam bin.. then you go on to say that SMBG is for posting inane topics? I do not see your logic.

And isn't the range of topics in SMBG pretty small as well? The various H/Hs are all the same, in the end, as are the various "Person above me" Threads.

And in the grand scale of things, you could probably make a case for doing without every single thread on this forum. Or heck, the entire forum itself. People discuss threads because they want to discuss in them, not because there is a "need" for it.

Doubtless, some people like to discuss these sort of topics, and I don't hold it against them. Why can't it be the same for versus threads?

PirateMonk
2007-10-08, 10:16 AM
You say SMBG isn't a spam bin.. then you go on to say that SMBG is for posting inane topics? I do not see your logic.

And isn't the range of topics in SMBG pretty small as well? The various H/Hs are all the same, in the end, as are the various "Person above me" Threads.

And in the grand scale of things, you could probably make a case for doing without every single thread on this forum. Or heck, the entire forum itself. People discuss threads because they want to discuss in them, not because there is a "need" for it.

Doubtless, some people like to discuss these sort of topics, and I don't hold it against them. Why can't it be the same for versus threads?

No, SMBG is for playing amusing games, not discussion of inane topics.

Neftren
2007-10-08, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say that these Versus Threads are actually quite entertaining, and learning the exact output of a Heavy Turbolaser is quite fun.

Besides, it is a discussion on movies, which falls into the category of media. SMBG is more for like, what you do in a tavern, without it actually being a structured D&D game for example. Or, you could join the town. Endless possibilities :P.

Artemician
2007-10-08, 10:19 AM
No, SMBG is for playing amusing games, not discussion of inane topics.

But some people consider them inane, just as some people consider Versus Threads inane.

I am aware, of course, that there are people who don't do so. But can you give me a reason why SMBG should be tolerated, while Versus threads should not? After all, people do derive amusement from both of them.

PirateMonk
2007-10-08, 10:21 AM
But some people consider them inane, just as some people consider Versus Threads inane.

I am aware, of course, that there are people who don't do so. But can you give me a reason why SMBG should be tolerated, while Versus threads should not? After all, people do derive amusement from both of them.

They should both be tolerated, and Versus threads should not be dumped in SMBGs, as they are not games.

Neftren
2007-10-08, 10:22 AM
I'll try to answer that, even if I'm not Om. :smallbiggrin:

The SMBG Forum is for exactly what it stands for. Silly Message Games. If you're the type of person who thinks D&D is devil worship, or Sci Fi is against moral standards, well you* ought not to be here. End of story. This is a d20 and fun gaming forum, which I love!

The Media Discussion Forum is for more real life related things. Movies, music and literature. Whereas if you have a game you wish to discuss, the Other Games forum serves very well for that purpose.

*You being plural, and anyone who dislikes the stuff I named above.

banjo1985
2007-10-08, 10:23 AM
They should both be tolerated, and Versus threads should not be dumped in SMBGs, as they are not games.

Amen brother!

That's about the long and short of it. I'm fine with both these things being on the site, but they're really not compatible together. They're fine in the places they are, seperated as they should be.

Charity
2007-10-08, 10:23 AM
I don't complain about them. They are in the right forum. I might not respond to them (and its one of the reasons I spend a lot less time in the Gaming forum than I used to) but they belong there.

Tippy I award you -
The brick of common sense
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Aerogelbrick.jpg/250px-Aerogelbrick.jpg

..and yeah the inmates have taken over the asylum in gaming... bring back he who shall not be named.

If I know from the title that I am not interested in a thread.. I find it suprisingly easy not to browse that forum. In case you are unsure how to go about not reading a thread, all one need do is refrain from clicking on the title or any of those dinky lil numbers under the title, and bingo.

Neftren
2007-10-08, 10:25 AM
I think, instead of scrolling through massive volumes of threads, I just subscribe the threads I take an interest in. I occasionally drop into the Versus Threads when they're bumped and happen to be at the top of the post list and so that they display on the main page.

Although I do regularly browse several forums...

Artemician
2007-10-08, 10:25 AM

Ah. I appear to have misunderstood you. From your earlier post, I thought that you were with the "Ban VS threads" crowd. I apologize if I offended anyone.

I'll try to answer that, even if I'm not Om. :smallbiggrin:

The SMBG Forum is for exactly what it stands for. Silly Message Games.

The Media Discussion Forum is for more real life related things. Movies, music and literature. Whereas if you have a game you wish to discuss, the Other Games forum serves very well for that purpose.

I'm not exactly asking for VS threads to be moved to SMBG.. I'm just saying that some of the arguments held up against VS threads fail, because they apply equally to SMBG, which is tolerated. Maybe I wasn't very clear in my speech... :smallredface:

Neftren
2007-10-08, 10:29 AM
Well, now that it's all said and done, most of us seem to disagree, and instead we appear to support allowing Versus Threads to stay in the Media Forum. Although I'm curious as to why a mod hasn't shown up yet. :smallsigh:

Anyway, I think the above holds true, from what I read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-08, 10:31 AM

Games aren't spam threads. If games weren't silly, they wouldn't be games.

Someone doesn't like SMBG? Good, they're all confined to a single forum which you can easily avoid, and never have to see. Vs. threads are on almost every board section.

Artemician
2007-10-08, 10:37 AM
Well, now that it's all said and done, most of us seem to disagree, and instead we appear to support allowing Versus Threads to stay in the Media Forum. Although I'm curious as to why a mod hasn't shown up yet. :smallsigh:

Anyway, I think the above holds true, from what I read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed. Although I think the mods are not showing up because they're not offline.. haha.

Games aren't spam threads. If games weren't silly, they wouldn't be games.

If Versus Threads weren't silly, they wouldn't be Versus Threads.

On a more serious note, I reiterate my point that regardless of what you , or I personally may think, some people consider SMBG and Versus Threads to be fun and interesting, and who are we to say otherwise?

Good, they're all confined to a single forum which you can easily avoid, and never have to see. Vs. threads are on almost every board section.

I think other people are more able to refute this than I..

: if nothing else, they tend to be well-labeled and you can just choose to not read any threads that have "vs." in the title.

In case you are unsure how to go about not reading a thread, all one need do is refrain from clicking on the title or any of those dinky lil numbers under the title, and bingo.

Om
2007-10-08, 10:37 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Versus threads. While you may classify them as inane and pointless, some people would also consider threads about Hand Dexterity, Romantic Entanglement, or Random Banter to be a waste of time as well.Those are however threads with something approaching a purpose. The Relationships thread, for example, is for people to discuss relationships and give advice etc etc. Similarly the Discworld or Warhammer threads are there for those who have an interest in those topics. Most threads in the Gaming forum have been started to ask a question or discuss a point. Conversely those starting Versus threads pose fundamentally unanswerable questions and then sit back to watch the argument go in circles. The discussion itself becomes the point of discussion. I'm sure that some people enjoy this but there is a place for silly never-ending conversations - SMBG.

Now usually I simply wouldn't care about what people argue endlessly about but the real problem is that these pointless arguments are taking up space and are becoming difficult to avoid. At the time of writing, over 30% of the threads on the Media Discussion front page concern themselves with X vs Y.

Versus threads, however inane and pointless, should be in the forum appropriate to the topic (media for movie/book characters, other games for video game characters, etc).Let's be honest - the SMBG forum is for those threads which, despite being entertaining, are... silly. There is no purpose to a game of Werewolf other than having fun. Hence their relegation to that particular subforum.

To my mind these Versus threads are fundamentally the same. The language is obviously different (more starship classes than stabbity death) but, as I say above, they are both essentially about posters indulging themselves in some pointless discussion. I again stress that there is nothing wrong with that... once these, many, threads are in the right forum.

Banning Versus threads altogether is not something that I'd necessarily agree with but if there is no other option then so be it. The important thing is that something is done to disperse or eliminate this wave of Versus threads.

It is also interesting that many vs. thread gets far more responses than most other threads in Media Discussion. 5 of the 10 longest threads on the first page in Media Discussion are vs. threads.Two points:

1) This demonstrates the inherent futility in these threads. You can argue to 100 pages and there will still be no agreement on whether engine X from universe Y is better than engine A from universe B. All you are doing is generating threads and pages at an alarming rate.

2) I would hazard a guess that a good 75%, if not more, threads on the frontpage of SMBG possess more than ten pages. That forum has double the threads and many times the postcount of Media Discussion. Which is, again, a result of pointless discussion.

Incidentially I see you actually started three of the Versus threads on the front page of MD

And speaking of "inane and pointless"..I have no issue with the language of these threads but their purpose, or lack of purpose. Tirian puts it well; a thread on comparing Big Bird vs. Kermit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58722) (probably originally satire but still...), or New Republic vs Protoss vs Babylon 5, is not any less inane than a game of Hurt/Heal or Rate that Song.

Yeah, I'd have to say that these Versus Threads are actually quite entertaining, and learning the exact output of a Heavy Turbolaser is quite fun.

Besides, it is a discussion on movies, which falls into the category of media. SMBG is more for like, what you do in a tavern, without it actually being a structured D&D game for example. Or, you could join the town. Endless possibilities :P.I'm sure that 8-Bit Theatre in the Playground (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58470) is entertaining, yet its not in Webcomics. Rather it is in the forum where we put the silly threads.

If I know from the title that I am not interested in a thread.. I find it suprisingly easy not to browse that forum.So your, practical and informative, advice for moi is not to venture into the Media Discussion forum? I reiterate: my problem is not the threads themselves but the fact that the damned things are everywhere.

Artemician
2007-10-08, 10:52 AM
Those are however threads with something approaching a purpose. The Relationships thread, for example, is for people to discuss relationships and give advice etc etc. Similarly the Discworld or Warhammer threads are there for those who have an interest in those topics. Most threads in the Gaming forum have been started to ask a question or discuss a point. Conversely those starting Versus threads pose fundamentally unanswerable questions and then sit back to watch the argument go in circles. The discussion itself becomes the point of discussion. I'm sure that some people enjoy this but there is a place for silly never-ending conversations - SMBG.

Who are we to say if something is silly or not? People discuss what they please, and we shouldn't stop them if it isn't against the board rules. Pointless? Inane? We can't really make those claims.

And even so...
In what way are they any more self Indulgent/and or inane than current topics that you can find on the boards, out of SMBG? While some threads, of which you have cited examples, are felt by many to have a purpose, other threads might also be considered inane, by your standards. I have talked about threads like the Right/Left Handed thread, Trog's Tavern, and most of Random banter. By your standards, would they not be in SMBG as well?

And why are they not there? Because SMBG, like other people have said, is a board for games to be played. Whether they are silly or not is a moot point. Discussion, however silly anyone may feel it is, belongs out of Silly Message Board Games.

Charity
2007-10-08, 10:56 AM
So your, practical and informative, advice for moi is not to venture into the Media Discussion forum? I reiterate: my problem is not the threads themselves but the fact that the damned things are everywhere.

See look I'm helping again...
Yeah I do recognise sarcasm, I just prefer my world view.
Sorry did I say forum where I meant thread... watdyakno..
Just don't read threads you don't like!
How hard is reading a list and selecting those you wish to view?

Stuff you like
Stuff you don't
Stuff you might like (probably best not to risk it)
Stuff you don't
Stuff you don't
Stuff you don't
Stuff you don't
Stuff you don't
Stuff you like
Stuff with vs in the title
Colour coded for your convenience.

There are many threads I don't like, I want everything I don't like stuck in a side forum where it cannot impinge upon my gaze, shall I send you a list mods, or would you like me to personally authorise each individual thread?

Really Om... Is what you are requesting so different?

Om
2007-10-08, 11:20 AM
Who are we to say if something is silly or not? People discuss what they please, and we shouldn't stop them if it isn't against the board rules. Pointless? Inane? We can't really make those claims.Come now, we can all recognise that some threads are simply silly. But why are Versus threads any sillier than the average playground fare? My contention is that they pose fundamentally unresolvable scenarios and the conversation cannot but go round in circles.

Contrast with the average FB threads, say for convenience the Left/Right Handed thread. This is a thread that has a purpose although admittedly asking people whether they are right/left handed (its all in the name really) is not going to win a Nobel Prize. People post what hand they favour and all is well and good. If the thread spirals off this track and goes off-topic then the thread, having served its purpose, will probably be closed. Conversely the purpose of a Versus thread is the discussion itself - unless of course a miracle happens and it can actually be conclusively proved that the Galactic Empire would defeat the Covenant - with various arguments swirling around but ultimately coming to nothing.

Most importantly of course is the simple fact that no Left/Right thread is going to spawn over a dozen offspring. And I am aware of the Left/Right Brain thread.

And why are they not there? Because SMBG, like other people have said, is a board for games to be played. Whether they are silly or not is a moot point. Discussion, however silly anyone may feel it is, belongs out of Silly Message Board Games.Rate the Signature is a game? For that matter is Stabbity Death a game in any conventional sense?:smallconfused:

I suggest SMBG because it is a home to threads that are inane. It is a forum where silliness, in all its forms, is prized and where a thread need not have a point or even make sense. Any other alternative, a subforum for example, is welcome... once the blight is removed or limited.

Really Om... Is what you are requesting so different?
Here's what the top of MD forum looks like to me ATM:

Interesting
Interesting
Versus
Interesting
Versus
Not Interesting
Interesting
Versus
Versus
Posting
Versus
Versus

I actually took the time to check the MD forum to make sure this was accurate at the time of writing (beginning with Futurama: The Movie and ending with No Star Trek vs Star Wars threads?). Those labelled Interesting I will probably read and may post in. Those labelled Not interesting (usually there's more) I will not read. Now my problem is the fact that these annoying Versus threads are taking up space from threads that I might, or might not, find interesting. I could skip over them, and will continue to do so if nothing comes of this, but that's an inconvenience and an annoying one at that.

Edit: Let me give an example. What if 30% of the threads in the Gaming forum (or another one that you frequent) were devoted entirely to decided what was the best class in D&D. Would you continue to skip over these without a word and, if so, for how long?

PirateMonk
2007-10-08, 11:39 AM
Rate the Signature is a game? For that matter is Stabbity Death a game in any conventional sense?:smallconfused:

Yes, they are, as they have rules and are not discussion (though alphabetical conversation has both).

I suggest SMBG because it is a home to threads that are inane. It is a forum where silliness, in all its forms, is prized and where a thread need not have a point or even make sense. Any other alternative, a subforum for example, is welcome... once the blight is removed or limited.

No, it's a forum where silliness in game form is prized.

Emperor Tippy
2007-10-08, 11:45 AM
Most vs. threads don't have fundamentally unanswerable questions and actually end up with a general consensus as to who wins. Their may be multiple opinions with multiple different scenarios (just like in which class is best threads) but consensus is generally reached.

And yes I have started 3 of the vs. threads on the main page. Why? Because I happen to enjoy them and find them informative, enjoyable, entertaining, and interesting. As for why tehy are in Media Discussion, thats simple:

Talk about books, movies, TV, or music here, safe from the judging eyes of the outside world.

They are talk about books, movies, and/or TV.

At the time of this posting I find over 50% of the threads on the main page of the Gaming section as inane wastes of time. I just skip them and only click on threads that I'm interested in. Most of my gaming discussions involve Fax, Jack Mann, and TLN and take place outside of these boards.

I find some of the vs. threads fairly inane as well and I choose not to participate in them or in most cases even click on them. I've gone out and bought some of the Warhammer 40K books because of things I heard about them in vs. threads.

I have no interest in music so I ignore those threads in Media Discussion. I consider them a waste of space. Just like you consider Vs. threads a waste of space. But I don't go and try to get the mods/admins to move them somewhere else or stop people from making them. If a thread is posted and most peopel aren't interested in it, it goes off the front page and that takes care of that. If it has interest it stays.

And let's face it, in Media Discussion, if a thread is off the first page then it isn't one that most people have an interest in. The oldest thread on the first page is 4 days old. If you haven't seen the thread by then and subscribed to it if interested in following it then it clearly wasn't that interesting/important. It's not like the old OoC forum used to be, where a thread would be off the main page in 2 hours after the last post.

Vonriel
2007-10-08, 11:46 AM
What I'm gathering from what you're saying, is that people are not allowed to undergo an exercise in creative thinking. On a forum. Dedicated to a webcomic. About a game that heavily uses the imagination. (Important words italicized, just so you could think on them) At least, not where you can see.

You have answered yourself why the versus threads don't belong in Silly Message Board Games: There is no such thing as discussion in the regular games section except on the voting games, the discussion in structured games has a definite end, the town is something completely different. None of these outside the town are an exercise in imaginative thinking. And the town isn't the place for versus threads, because the imaginative thinking there is based around roleplay.

Remember when you were young, and you had discussions with other kids as to whose dad would win in a fight? The versus threads aren't much different, because, unless you were quite possibly the cutest little girl with just the right sized eyes and that cute little sparkle in them, your dads likely weren't ever going to get into a fight. I'm sorry if you've grown out of these conversations, but some people enjoy the pointless debate. Who are we to say that they should not be allowed?

Edit: Oh, and, Trog's Tavern is in the SMBG section, in the town. You might be thinking of Trog's Talk Show, which belongs in Friendly Banter as it's originally about getting to know the different forumites. Everything else was added on, but it's still supposed to be about the actual get-to-know-your-peers setup.

Kitya
2007-10-08, 11:48 AM
At the moment, there are maybe, 6 threads that I actually open and read, in ALL the forums. There are many discussions occurring that I'm simply not interested in. I'm not expecting them to be removed just to make my reading pleasure easier. I just skip them. So there are a lot of vs threads. Oh well. I have this handy dandy little scrolly thing on my trackball that lets me scroll down past them. And occasionally, those vs threads interest me... for example, I read with great pleasure the Ged and wizards vs thread. It was nice to know that there were others out there who enjoy Earthsea as well, and it made me interested to look into the characters that they were versus, since I had never heard of them.

As someone else said, right now they're all the rave... in a few months, there won't be nearly as many.

*pats the turtle on his head* Don't worry, this too shall pass.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-08, 11:49 AM
1) This demonstrates the inherent futility in these threads. You can argue to 100 pages and there will still be no agreement on whether engine X from universe Y is better than engine A from universe B. All you are doing is generating threads and pages at an alarming rate.
Some people would qualify pages upon pages worth of discussion as "a broad subject ripe with subtlety" rather than futile. That logic will eliminate almost any worthwhile subject, as most worthwhile subjects tend to generate further questions and aspects as you discuss it.

Really, despite the titles, I think most (but not all) Vs. threads are more about discussion exploring how the rules of one universe would apply to another rather than an actual "I win, you lose" final debate.

Rate the Signature is a game? For that matter is Stabbity Death a game in any conventional sense?:smallconfused:
I don't know how Rate the Signature is played, but my understanding of Stabbity Death is such that it qualifies as a word game. Mind you that the primary point of this type of word game is to entertain oneself by being creative and witty—which is the goal of having to come up with a reason to "stab" the other participants.

It seems to me that none the word games played by Fred and his family in pretty much any version of A Christmas Carol are really any more sophisticated than that. So you can look there for an example of what type of games these are.

Edit: Let me give an example. What if 30% of the threads in the Gaming forum (or another one that you frequent) were devoted entirely to decided what was the best class in D&D. Would you continue to skip over these without a word and, if so, for how long?
Given that the number of threads I don't read rates far more than 30% in all forums other than Board Issues, and I don't bother complaining about any of them: Yes.

Winterwind
2007-10-08, 11:54 AM
Contrast with the average FB threads, say for convenience the Left/Right Handed thread. This is a thread that has a purpose although admittedly asking people whether they are right/left handed (its all in the name really) is not going to win a Nobel Prize. People post what hand they favour and all is well and good. If the thread spirals off this track and goes off-topic then the thread, having served its purpose, will probably be closed. Conversely the purpose of a Versus thread is the discussion itself - unless of course a miracle happens and it can actually be conclusively proved that the Galactic Empire would defeat the Covenant - with various arguments swirling around but ultimately coming to nothing.This "miracle" occurs more often than you think. Often, people can supply sufficient information to prove one of the universes in question would emerge victorious. In all other instances, it is a rather interesting exchange with other people knowledgeable about the respective universes, in which one can gain information about many details of said settings one might not have known about before. I take offense at you declaring this information exchange as inane, for no other reason than you not being interested in it.

Edit: Let me give an example. What if 30% of the threads in the Gaming forum (or another one that you frequent) were devoted entirely to decided what was the best class in D&D. Would you continue to skip over these without a word and, if so, for how long?Since D&D is not amongst the RPGs I play, I tend to skip all threads from the Gaming forum which do not sound as if they might be applicable to roleplaying games in general. This leaves me with less than 30% interesting threads, yet I'm neither complaining nor do I consider this to be an annoyance. I just go over the thread list and see whether I can find some thread which sounds interesting to me.

Emperor Tippy
2007-10-08, 12:40 PM
This is my process for these forums
Friendly Banter: I look through it every other day or so.
Media Discussion: I check it when I check this website.
Board/Site Issues: Once a day or when I see an interesting thread as the newest thread.

Gaming: Once a day or when someone sends me a link. I rarely post or even read most thread past the first few posts
Homebrew: When someone asks me to critique somethign they posted or sends me a link.
Gaming (other): Once a week, maybe

I check the OoTS and Erfworld forums when their is a new comic. I check comic books maybe once a week. I have clicked on webcomics 3 times since I have joined these forums. Arts and Crafts is the same.

I never bother with anything under the GitP header unless I am linked by someone else.

I check recruiting once a day or so to see if their is anything I'm interested in. I subscribe to IC threads I'm interested in.

SMBG: I check it maybe once a month.

So All told, I skip about 80% of the things on this website.

Rawhide
2007-10-08, 03:43 PM
This thread can only go around in circles and will never reach a point. It will therefore be locked in the kindest of ways.