PDA

View Full Version : The Pocket Summoner [base class]

Goober4473
2007-10-08, 07:23 AM
I was browsing these boards, and saw a class that was kinda Pokemonish, and then later I was sitting here, and I was playing Pokemon with one of my roommates. And I was like, "what if we did this, only in D&D?" And he was like, "have our characters play Game Boy?" And I was like, "no, go out and catch monsters, then make them fight."

It turns out, someone else (http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/summoner.html) had this idea before. But I can do it better. I had like 95% of these ideas before even looking at this person's class. So here it is, my Pocket Summoner, a blatent Pokemon trainer for D&D, only without the Pokemon, without throwing blunt objects at helpless animals (just sealing them into a life of slavery with pure magic), and without the pets worrying about XP.

Note: I almost named the Summoning Pocket "Bill's Extradimension Space," but decided that was a little much.

I think it would work as a serious class in a D&D game, and it looks vaguely balanced, as long as the DM keeps control of what they let the player catch and watches for broken abuses. It doesn't have any fluff yet. I may get to that, I may not. What do you think?

The Pocket Summoner
Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills
The pocket summoner’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

http://www.edanet.com/goober/Pocket_Summoner_Table.JPG

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the pocket summoner.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Pocket summoners are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor.

Summoning Pocket (Su): Each pocket summoner, upon beginning their career, gains access to an extradimensional space know as a summoning pocket. Creatures sealed using the Seal ability (see below) are placed here automatically. Upon entering the pocket dimension the first time, any temporary effects on a creature are dismissed, and all non-permanent damage is healed.

A pocket summoner may have a total of one creature per class level contained in his/her summoning pocket at any time. If a creature would exceed this limit, a monster must be dismissed to make room, or the Seal ability fails. The choice may be made after the success or failure of the Seal is determined. A dismissed monster returns to its home plane, in a safe location (determined by the DM), or it is destroyed, at the pocket summoner’s discretion. In the second case, the creature is allowed a Will save at the DC of the pocket summoner’s seal ability (see below) at no bonus or penalty. If successful, it returns to a safe location on its home plane instead.

If the pocket summoner dies, the creatures remain in stasis in the summoning pocket, or the crystals they were last readied into if applicable, for a year and a day before being dismissed if the pocket summoner has not been returned to life (or unlife) or has otherwise regained access to the summoning pocket.

A starting pocket summoner begins with one creature of CR equal to his/her class level in the summoning pocket, plus one more of two CR less than that for each maximum available summon beyond the first. For example, a first level pocket summoner begins with one CR 1 monster, and an eleventh level pocket summoner would begin with one CR 11 monster, and three CR 9 monsters for having four available summons, and a twentieth level pocket summoner begins with one CR 20 creature, and five CR 18 creatures for having six available summons.

Seal (Sp): Once per day, a pocket summoner may attempt to seal any creature within 30 feet into his/her summoning pocket. The creature may resist with a successful Will save at DC 10 + ½ class level + Charisma modifier. Unconscious creatures suffer a -4 penalty to this save. Creatures at 0 hit points instead suffer a -2 penalty to this save. Any creature with one quarter hit points or more gains a +2 bonus to this save. Any creature with half hit points or more gains a +4 bonus to this save instead. Any creature with full hit points gains a +8 bonus to this save instead. Conscious creatures with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher receive a +4 bonus to this save. Successive attempts to seal a conscious creature become more difficult. Any conscious creature that has been the target of a failed seal attempt within the last hour gains a cumulative +2 bonus for each attempt. Any creature that fails its save is transported to the pocket summoner’s summoning pocket, and is held there in stasis. Possessions, if any, are transported as well, but extradimension spaces are not (such as bags of holding). Possessions include any held or worn items that the creature normally uses, unless lost more than 24 hours before.

Seal may only affect a creature of CR equal to or lower than the pocket summoner’s class level, and the creature must be able to advance by hit dice, regardless of weather or not it can also advance by class level. Some creatures may be especially resistant or immune to, weak against, or otherwise different for the purpose of sealing them. Immunity, bonuses or penalties to Will saves, or alteration in CR are rare but not unheard of when using Seal.

Summoned, called, or bound creatures are immune to this ability.

Seal may be used one additional time for every six levels beyond first (twice at seventh, three times at thirteenth, and four times at nineteenth level).

Note: Because Seal is the most important ability to a pocket summoner, and increasing its DC dramatically increases the capabilities of a pocket summoner, the Ability Focus feat increases the save DC by only 1, rather than 2.

Pocket Summoning: A pocket summoner may ready creatures from his/her summoning pocket in the same way that a sorcerer or wizard readies their spells. These creatures are contained within small crystals, which cost five gold pieces each. They still count towards the maximum number of creatures contained in the pocket summoner’s summoning pocket. A creature that was previously readied may be replaced by another at this time, and the previous creature returns to the summoning pocket. If the pocket summoner does not have in possession a crystal that they have previously readied a creature into that they are now replacing with another readied creature, it is lost, and the creature is dismissed. The number of creatures that can be called forth is shown on the table (“Summons Available”).
As a spell-like ability, the summoner may summon creatures that have been readied into a crystal that they hold in their hand as with a summon monster spell cast by a sorcerer of a caster level equal to his/her class level, a combined number of times as shown on the table (“Summon Per Day”). This ability suffers arcane spell failure from all but light armor. This ability may not be readied as a counter spell, and is not countered by any other summon monster spell, though it may be countered by dispel magic and similar spells (but see Dispel Resistance below). Summoned creatures may not use any ability that would cost XP, gold, or sacrificed items, any ability that summons or calls another creature, nor any ability that creates spawn, or any similar ability.

When the spell ends, the creature is dismissed, or the creature is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, the creature returns to the crystal. In the last case, the creature returns to the summoning pocket instead, and may not be summoned again for 24 hours. Temporary effects and damage remain, unlike a normal summoned creature, but temporary effects wear off at a rate of one minute per round, and damage heals at a rate of 1 per hit die per hour. Possessions of the creature are summoned and returned with it, and any damage to these possessions is repaired when it returns to the crystal or summoning pocket, unless that damage was permanent damage caused by magic (such as Mordenkainen’s disjunction). The pocket summoner may allow spells to affect a creature within a crystal if the crystal is targeted or in the area, but the creature may not take any damage in this state.

A pocket summoner may have only one creature summoned using this ability at a time.

Recall Crystal (Sp): As a standard action, a pocket summoner may recall any crystal that they have readied a creature into. This immediately teleports the crystal into the hand of the pocket summoner. If the crystal is on another plane of existence, the creature is instead returned to the pocket summoner’s summoning pocket, but the crystal remains. If the crystal is being held, the creature holding it may make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ class level + Charisma modifier) to stop the effect from taking place.

Advancement (Ex): Creatures summoned using pocket summoning gain XP from encounters that they participate in equal to the amount the pocket summoner gains. In this case, participate means the pocket summoner ordered them to take at least one useful action during the encounter, regardless of what it was or weather or not it succeeded. This is subject to the DM’s discretion. When they first gain XP from this, their current XP is first reset to the minimum required for a character of level equal to their CR times 3/10 (that is, 300 for every 1,000). While the creature is not dismissed, it requires XP equal to 3/10 (again, 300 per 1,000) the amount required by a character its level to increase in power, at which point it advances in hit dice enough to increase its CR by 1. A creature cannot gain more XP than the minimum required to be a CR of equal level to the pocket summoner. Creatures may not gain more hit dice than a creature of that type normally could.

For example, a pocket summoner of sixth level has a creature of CR 5. Once the creature has participated in enough encounters where the total XP the pocket summoner gained was 1,500, it advances to CR 6, gaining hit dice as appropriate.

Creatures that advance by age or other strange circumstances, such as dragons, ignore this ability and advance normally. If they exceed the maximum CR a pocket summoner is capable of sealing, then they immediately make a Will save against the pocket summoner’s Seal DC. If successful, the creature is dismissed. Otherwise, the creature may attempt this save once per day, with a cumulative bonus equal to the amount the CR exceeds the pocket summoner’s level.

A dismissed creature’s XP is reset to the minimum required to reach its current level of power, if any (usually ECL, but some DMs may ignore the XP of monsters, and some monsters advance by age or other means).

Monster Knowledge (Ex): This ability functions exactly the same as the Archivist’s Dark Knowledge ability, except that it works on five different creature types, chosen by the pocket summoner, that are not giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid, to begin with, and the pocket summoner does not gain access to the dread secret use of this ability. This ability may target additional creature types as the pocket summoner advances. S/he gains access to one more creature type at second level, and one more every three levels thereafter (fifth, eighth, eleventh, fourteenth, seventeenth, and twentieth). These new types may not be giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid.

Augment Summoning: Pocket summoners gain access to the augmented summoning feat, even if they don’t meet the requirements, but this feat applies only to creatures summoned using pocket summoning.

Empowering (Ex): Starting at second level, once per day, while reading crystals, a pocket summoner may increase the power of any one creature that s/he is calling into a crystal without having to use it in encounters. This process is draining, costing XP equal to five times the current CR of the creature, and requires material components costing 100 times the current CR of the creature in gold pieces. The creature advances in hit dice enough to increase its CR by 1, as long as the new CR does not exceed the pocket summoner’s class level. The creature’s XP is immediately set to the minimum required to attain its new CR, or 3/10 (300 per 1,000) the amount of XP a character needs to reach a level equal to that CR.

When a pocket summoner gains a level (including second level), this increase may be applied immediately to any one creature in a crystal or his/her summoning pocket as long as it fits the requirements, without requiring XP or gold.

Transfer Creature (Su): Starting at fourth level, a pocket summoner may transfer a creature from his/her summoning pocket to that of another pocket summoner within 5 feet. The pocket summoner must be of sufficient level to seal the creature, and must be willing. If the receiving pocket summoner has too many creatures in his/her pocket, s/he must dismiss one as in the Seal ability or this ability fails. This may be done once per week, and requires one full hour of uninterrupted meditation on the part of both pocket summoners. They may both use this ability if able during that time. If the meditation is disrupted, it does not waste the ability, but it must be restarted.

Fast Recall: Starting at tenth level, the pocket summoner may dismiss a creature summoned from a crystal as a move-equivalent action instead of a standard action.

Dispel Resistance: Starting at tenth level, a pocket summoner’s pocket summoning ability becomes harder to dispel. It is considered four caster levels higher for the purpose of any dispel attempt.

Great Seal (Sp): Starting at eleventh level, once per week, a pocket summoner may attempt to seal a creature as with Seal ability that is up to 2 CR higher than s/he normally could. The Will save DC is increased by 2 when using this ability. If successful, the creature counts as 2 creatures for the purpose of determining how many creatures the pocket monster may keep in his/her summoning pocket, for the number of summons available during a day, and it requires two summons per day and a full-round action to summon. Every day beyond the first, the creature may make another Will save (at the pocket summoner’s normal Seal DC) to escape the seal. This Will save is as if the creature is unconscious, but receives a cumulative +2 bonus for every additional day that it makes this save. If this save is successful, or if the creature is dismissed, it appears in the nearest safe empty space by the pocket summoner with full hit points and without any temporary effects that still affected it, and it may not be sealed by any pocket summoner for 24 hours. Note: Many recently released creatures feel displeasure towards the pocket summoner that forced them to work for him/her.

A creature sealed using this ability must be placed in a crystal whenever the pocket summoner prepares his/her crystals or it is dismissed.
Steal Creature (Sp): Starting at thirteenth level, as a standard action once per week, a pocket summoner may attempt to steal a creature from another pocket summoner. S/he must hold a crystal that the creature has been readied into in his/her hand. The opposing pocket summoner, if conscious, may then make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ class level + Charisma modifier) to resist. If this save fails, or the opposing pocket summoner is unconscious (or dead), then the pocket summoner may immediately use the Seal, Great Seal, or Master Seal ability on the creature in the crystal as normal, but the creature gets no bonus or penalty to its saving throw based on hit points.

Switch Creature (Sp): Starting at sixteenth level, once per day, as a full-round action, a pocket summoner may trade a creature in a crystal with one in his/her summoning pocket. In the case of a creature sealed with Great Seal or Master Seal, two or three creatures respectively must be returned to the summoning pocket in order to bring the creature into a crystal. A creature sealed using one of these abilities may not be traded into the summoning pocket, but instead may be dismissed instead to draw another creature into a crystal. These creatures count as only one creature when dismissed in this way, however.

Master Seal (Sp): Starting at twentieth level, a pocket summoner may attempt to seal a creature that is up to 4 CR higher than s/he normally could. The Will save DC is increased by 4 when using this ability. This is exactly like Great Seal, except the creature counts as 4 creatures for the purpose of determining how many creatures the pocket monster may keep in his/her summoning pocket, for the number of summons available during a day, and it requires four summons per day to summon. The creature gains a cumulative +4 bonus to its Will save every additional day that it tries to break the seal.

Master Seal may instead be used to duplicate Great Seal, granting another use per week.

[Edit]: Updated version.

Kyace
2007-10-08, 08:13 AM
Just a reminder, spells that summons normal animals, such as summon nature's ally #, doesn't let you command them if you communicate with him, they attack as best they can. You might consider giving the summoner a tongues like ability to let them communicate with their summons.

There exist LA +0 creatures that can be "caught": Elans and Warforged jump to mind. That means that a level X summoner can control a level X any class.

A reason pokemon worked as a gameboy game was that it was single player. A powergamerish summoner could likely break this or at the very least turn D&D from a group game into Me and my summons.

You caught the sealing summoned creatures idea, but forgot about called creatures. A summoner with a cleric with the "Planar Ally" line of spells or a wizard with the "Planar Binding" line of spells can basically seal any outsider they want.

This is a class that could break a game if the player wants to, be careful. This class is much more powerful than any of the summon X spells: they have a limit on the CR of the summoned creature equal to the spell level (basically half the caster level or class level). It might not be a bad idea to copy that.

Goober4473
2007-10-08, 09:36 AM
I feel I left the DM plenty of escape clauses to keep the class from being game-breaking. Especially: "Some creatures may be especially resistant to, weak against, or otherwise different for the purpose of sealing them. Bonuses or penalties to Will saves, or alteration in CR are rare but not unheard of when using Seal." If a monster is too broken to keep as a summon, it wont be available, or it will be attainable at much higher level. If the DM can't handle that level of responsibility, and needs to follow the books on everything, then they shouldn't be using this class.

I'll see what I can do about stopping things like warforged. I think I may do what that other class did, and make it so the creature has to be able to advance by hit dice, even if it can also advance by class, and remvoe the ability to level up classes from the Empowering ability.

I'll add a line about called creatures.

A summon nature's ally spell is obviously not nearly as powerful as this class's summoning, but a druid can also heal, shapeshift into very powerful animals and elementals, fight fairly well, and cast a variety of other spells. If anything, I'd like to cut down on the summons per day, not the power of the summoned creatures.

Doglord
2007-10-08, 10:44 AM
I think if the monster is poisoned or summats, you should get +2 to seal

TheShadowSage
2007-10-08, 01:00 PM
Or just when they're weaker, like if they're down to wound in the Vitality/Wound system.

Also, I'd suggest remove Dragons from the list of capturable creature types. Dragons are slightly too powerful, as your bard is proof of. Eh, mate?

Goober4473
2007-10-08, 05:35 PM
Dragons have amazing Will saves, and high CR. They're really not any tougher than any other monster of their difficulty, plus they're hard to catch.

Only reason I had a cheap bard/mindbender is because at level 20, I had a CR 25 monster perminently, not a CR 20 monster I could summon every now and then.

Goober4473
2007-10-10, 02:59 AM
I added an updated version. Hopefully I fixed most of the serious errors.

I removed the double and tripple summon abilities for balance reasons. I added advancement rules and updated the empowering ability. I expanded and explained some abilities better. I added recall crystal and steal creature. I made it harder for Seal to work on conscious creatures. I added a full description of the summoning pocket. I renamed Over-Seal Great Seal.

Next thing I want to do is make monster PrCs that pocket summoners can apply to monsters instead of hit die advancement. Nothing terribly powerful. Just neat additional abilities and improvements on ones they already have, instead of just increasing directly in hit points, BAB, saves, skill, etc.