PDA

View Full Version : 5e Pls PEACH: Warlock Patron: Elder Dragon

BerzerkerUnit
2019-07-02, 05:38 PM
Dragonspeakers
Warlocks beholden to elder dragon patrons are known as dragonspeakers. Most commonly they are agents tasked with preserving the peace of a dragon’s domain though some might instead marshal the dragon’s other forces or insure the location of its lair remains secret.

Patron Spells
1- Chromatic Orb, Alarm
2- Dragon’s Breath, Locate Object
3- Protection from Energy, Water Breathing
4- Charm Monster, Vitriolic Sphere
5- Legend Lore, Geas

Patron’s Breath
Beginning at 1st level you are inextricably bound to the raging elemental power of your Patron. You become an outlet for the evergrowing power lest it build to the point of exploding. As an action you can exhale a 15 ft cone or 30 ft line of destructive energy that matches that of your Patron. The breath deals 2d8+your warlock level energy damage. Creatures in the area reduce the damage by half with a successful dexterity save. The breath’s range doubles and damage dice improve to 2d10 at level 6 and 2d12 at level 14. You regain your breath after a short rest or by expending a warlock spell slot as a bonus action.

Hoard Access
Beginning at 6th level your patron grants you access to a their hoard. As an action you can retrieve your Proficiency bonus x 1000 gp in coins or half that value in gems of your choosing. Alternatively, you can withdraw a single common or uncommon magic item of your choosing. At level 11 you may draw a rare item, at level 17 you may draw a very rare or legendary item. You cannot use this feature again until you have replaced whatever was previously withdrawn from the hoard (or items of similar value). In the case of lost or destroyed magic items, an item of equal rarity from the same list in the DMG will suffice.

Legendary Adjutant
At 10th level the overwhelming majesty of your patron bleeds into your everyday interactions. You gain proficiency in Persuasion or Intimidation. If you’re already proficient in both skills you double your Proficiency bonus in one of them if you don’t already receive a similar benefit from another source. Additionally, creatures with the Dragon type or that understand draconic begin encounters neutral to you and your allies.

Dragonrider
At 14th level your Patron grants you permission to impress a Young Dragon of your Patron’s line into service. This young dragon serves as a mount and stalwart companion. Use the statistics found in the Monster Manual for a creature of its type with the following exceptions: the breath weapon’s DC is equal to your Spell DC and loses the recharge property. The dragon recovers the use of it breath weapon after each short rest or when you expend a Warlock Spell Slot as a bonus action.

New Invocation
Eldritch Cascade
When you cast Eldritch Blast you have the option of creating a 15 ft cone or 30 ft line of eldritch energy instead of rays. Creatures in the area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell DC or take 1d10 Force damage. This damage increases at 5th (2d10), 11th (3d10), 16th (4d10).

notXanathar
2019-07-06, 01:50 PM
One thing I would say with eldritch cascade is that it is massively OP. Eldritch blast should be powerful, but 15ft. cone, for tier scaling D10 is too much. the best way to do this, I think, would be level scaling D6. This makes it slightly better than the default multiple target cantrip, like thunderclap, by having more area. In a similar way, the default eldritch blast is similar in damage to spells like fire bolt, but slightly better, due to having it scale for targets. This is then built upon with eldritch invocations, to make it the best damaging cantrip in the game.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-07-06, 08:41 PM
One thing I would say with eldritch cascade is that it is massively OP. Eldritch blast should be powerful, but 15ft. cone, for tier scaling D10 is too much. the best way to do this, I think, would be level scaling D6. This makes it slightly better than the default multiple target cantrip, like thunderclap, by having more area. In a similar way, the default eldritch blast is similar in damage to spells like fire bolt, but slightly better, due to having it scale for targets. This is then built upon with eldritch invocations, to make it the best damaging cantrip in the game.

Really? Eldritch cascade precludes the use of other Invocations and pretty consistently I find myself doing anything but EB after lvl 10. 1/2/3d10 save for none doesn’t feel like such a great deal. Compare to Dragon’s breath which will deal 6d6 hits max damage at level 9 for possible 36, save for half with tailored energy variety while cascade is max 20 at same level. Average over career is way higher and can be used approximately as often.

Omg, just realized I forgot the spell list. Thanks for the feedback!

bid
2019-07-06, 11:51 PM
Compare to Dragon’s breath which will deal 6d6 hits max damage at level 9 for possible 36, save for half with tailored energy variety while cascade is max 20 at same level.
Is dragon breath at will?

BerzerkerUnit
2019-07-07, 06:18 PM
No, but when it’s active you wouldn’t be using the blast anyway. Further, it’s intended for general use not unique to this patron.

Maxidion
2019-07-07, 07:20 PM
I like to concept of this class very much, though I would have executed it very differently. I actually rather like the eldritch cascade. I felt if overpowered at first, but that was because I didn't read carefully and made assumptions (like the save would reduce damage by half). As long as my understanding that other eldritch invocations, like agonizing or repelling blast, don't affect this I feel it was designed quite well. I will probably find a way to utilize the eldritch cascade in my own games.

I thought of another idea to. Maybe you could add another eldritch invocation specific to the class that is only available at higher levels. If you are willing to dump two invocations to first get cascade and then this, you could allow the other invocations too have their affect cascade.

P.S. I just to make sure I don't appear to be contradicting myself. I think eldritch cascade being able to be combined with other invocations early on would be too powerful, but not so much in the late game and maybe the mid as well.