PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When You Eat A God?

Leliel
2007-10-08, 05:30 PM
Situation: Let's say you, a PC, are a tribesman. Your party has accomplished the impossible, and killed Venca(permanently). You decide, being a good guy, decide to give him a funeral in your tribe's tradition. That would be fine, and is, except your particular tribes funerary rites happen to involve cannibalism, so as to return the deceased soul to the living (Yes, there are actual practices like that in real life).

So, aside from being put on the top of the bateezu's hit list-and moved an equal number of steps up the celestial's "protect" list (they realize you were honoring a fallen foe, plus, its nice to see Venca get his comeuppance)-and indigestion("Man, Bob, that is an evil bit of bone marrow!"), what would happen to you?

Aside from exploding from the amount of power contained in Venca's body and/or his divine wrath or otherwise dieing (thats just too simple a plot hook), becoming possesed by his less-than-happy spirit (I say that dead-is-dead for a deity), or changing your alignment (you become evil by choice, no matter what stupid Taint rules say, and "honoring a foe" is not an evil action),
you are allowed to make any consequences you desire, barring those.

Let's Begin.

Solo
2007-10-08, 05:35 PM
Heartburn?

Alleine
2007-10-08, 05:36 PM
Well, in general I'd say that after eating a god you get a really good nap. I'd imagine that gods tend to be pretty tasty, and everyone loves a good nap after a big meal.

With Vecna, I'd say you all get indigestion, whoops, you said aside from that. Dang.

Probably some form of a curse, or special knowledge because of a lingering divine power left in his body(god of secrets and all that jazz). Maybe gaining a small portion of his powers, like REALLY small. No sense in having a village of mini Vecnas running around.

bugsysservant
2007-10-08, 05:41 PM
Well, Vecna is an ancient lich, so I imagine that anything that applies to beef jerky applies to him.

In practical terms, I would rule that you never need to eat again. Deities have divine power right? And if you metabolize that divine power it should either be used to energize your body, or...pass through your system. A body nourished by divine energy should therefore never need to eat again.

Fiery Justice
2007-10-08, 05:46 PM
Remains of power if god-flesh is power-bearing, undead may randomly start obeying you, or they may crumble in your presence as you destroyed the master undead. Since you and your fellow tribesmen were probably already fairly powerful (having killed a deity with a CR of at least 30.), you can probably bet that your powerful enough to kill any undead. Or maybe not, maybe someone has the Sword of Kas and is now delivering it to possess you, maybe someone is angling for the god power you've taken.

Machete
2007-10-08, 05:50 PM
You lose your sense of taste, then horrible gas, then a stomach ache, then constipation and maybe you gain an eldritch blast from your... mouth for 1d6 points -1 per every day passed for a week (minimum 1 damage applies) then you are fine.

2007-10-08, 05:50 PM
Uh, all the other gods hunt you down and take you out, since you just managed to kill and eat a major deity and who knows if you decided gods are like potatoe chips and you can't have just one.

InkEyes
2007-10-08, 05:54 PM
Well since Vecna has been dead for quite a while now I'd say all the edible flesh has rotten off him. If I had to eat any god I'd go for something a little meatier. Kord, maybe?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 05:58 PM
...you've read Goats (www.goats.com), haven't you?

For the uninitiated, one of the main characters tricks God into turning himself into a pork chop, and then consumes him.

Stormcrow
2007-10-08, 06:09 PM
Is there a Vecna-Blooded template in MM5?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 06:18 PM
Is there a Vecna-Blooded template in MM5?

Yup. Pg 66.

Raven T.
2007-10-08, 06:20 PM
Since someone mentioned secrets (where is my mind some days?), I'd say those that consume him would suffer from sudden fits of madness from the sheer magnitude of what they know. Force a Will save or be catatonic for d10 rounds whenever you feel like it (but don't abuse it.)

Leon
2007-10-08, 06:38 PM
Jugged God

Belteshazzar
2007-10-08, 07:02 PM
Isn't Venneca rather ... Bony? How exactly does one consume an enemy whose physiology stopped being edible hundreds of years ago? Does one grind his bones to make ones bread?

As a side note you did remember to dispose of his phylactery, right? If not you will soon be the father of the worlds most powerful waste product as he is still a litch despite also being a deity.

Donovan
2007-10-08, 07:33 PM
If memory serves, when you kill a god you get at least one divine rank so at that point you would be a god, or at least a godling. So after snacking on Vecna, I would think you would probably get a power portfolio or something along those lines; maybe tribes and cannibalism.

Stormcrow
2007-10-08, 07:51 PM
Since someone mentioned secrets (where is my mind some days?), I'd say those that consume him would suffer from sudden fits of madness from the sheer magnitude of what they know. Force a Will save or be catatonic for d10 rounds whenever you feel like it (but don't abuse it.)

I'd go one further and have them wake up with knowledge they didn't have before.

Starbuck_II
2007-10-08, 08:11 PM
Isn't Venneca rather ... Bony? How exactly does one consume an enemy whose physiology stopped being edible hundreds of years ago? Does one grind his bones to make ones bread?

As a side note you did remember to dispose of his phylactery, right? If not you will soon be the father of the worlds most powerful waste product as he is still a litch despite also being a deity.

Dude, you've never eaten bones before have you? Just cook it enough and you can eat bones.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-08, 08:25 PM
The marrow is especially good.

DraPrime
2007-10-08, 08:37 PM
Oh man, I just had the image of how big a deuce that would make. Anyway, onto more mature subjects I'm guessing that the god has the possibility of controlling whoever ate it, since they are immortal.

Leliel
2007-10-08, 08:38 PM
Yes, it is possible to eat marrow (as I specifically said in my post).

And yes, I did say "permanently" kill him.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-08, 08:55 PM
Fort save or be immediately slain. I know you said to avoid this, but it should be done anyway. The DC shouldn't be too high -- DC 20 or so, which is easily makeable at any level with which you'd be killing a god.

On a successful save, you're still nauseated, probably for like a week. After that, I would consider giving freebie Warlock invocations, as you pretty much consumed a bottomless source of energy.

And finally, if you rolled a natural 20 on your save, you seize his divine spark and ascend to demigodhood. Get enough worshippers, maybe you'll attain real godhood.

Tallis
2007-10-08, 09:02 PM
I could easily imagine them becoming immortal, possibly with divine ranks. If they do gain divine ranks they'd probably also gain Vecna's portfolio. Stat increases are possible (probably int or wis in this case). The could slowly transform into liches themselves, maybe becoming sorcerers. Clairaudience/clairvoyance as spell like abilities? Telepathy? Permanent non-detection, mind-shielding or undetectable alignment? Spell Resistance? Bardic lore as a natural ability? There are any number of powers they might get.
On the bad side, 1000 year old flesh is probably not all that good for you in large doses. They could be poisoned, cursed, gain an evil aura, detect as undead, or gain a permanent hunger for flesh. They could go mad from the power and knowledge. Maybe the power sometimes erypts from them in an eldritch blast, but they have no control over it, making them dangerous to be arround. Undead might home in on them from miles away, sensing their presence.
They've certainly got the attention of the other gods, who may or may not be too happy about the situation. Mortal power-players and demons might hunt them down thinking to take the power from them, whether they actually have it or not.
Their life should get a lot more interesting in any case. Though I suppose if they just killed a god it was probably pretty interesting before.

joe
2007-10-08, 09:09 PM
http://nuklearpower.com/redmage37.php

Last question on the page (and yea, I'm the same Joe)

Citizen Joe
2007-10-08, 10:25 PM
I seem to recall that the Githyanki Lich Queen consumes dead gods that are floating around in the astral plane. They are planetoid sized objects there. I can only presume you defeated an avatar of Vecna. So, either it is WAY bigger than you could possibly eat, or it is simply some corpse that Vecna inhabited. In either case, all you get is bragging rights.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-08, 10:35 PM
Just to nip it in the bud. It will not taste like chicken. Stuff only tastes like chicken if you boil it in chicken stock, or pour chicken broth over it, or drop chicken cubes in the soup, etc.:smallfurious:

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-08, 10:55 PM
Just to nip it in the bud. It will not taste like chicken. Stuff only tastes like chicken if you boil it in chicken stock, or pour chicken broth over it, or drop chicken cubes in the soup, etc.:smallfurious:

What? You can't do that with Vecna's tasty tasty...bones?

In any case I'm most curious about how you've IRREVOCABLY killed Vecna...just saying cause big evil guys like him have a distinct habit of coming back to life from sheer will alone (take Orcus for example, and he's only a demon prince). I'd be on the look out for Vecnites and Vecna himself if the campaign continues for much longer...

In any case I'd say you temporarily gain certain powers or abilities (Evil and Knowledge related) until....well until you pass Vecna...which might make for a hilarious little scene if what you ate grows into a full on or even mini-verison by the time you need to empty the payload so to speak.

gaymer_seattle
2007-10-09, 09:52 AM
Despite all the whimpering about whether or not you can permanently kill a god (if the DM says you can, then you can) here is a list of things that seem plausible

- You become undead (probably a lich, but maybe something else)
- You gain some undead traits (No CON score, some immunity, immortality etc etc)
- You gain divine ranks (I don't know what these are but someone said it earlier)
- You gain divine qualities (God's and Outsiders recognize you, you gain godly knowledge or senses)
- You move to the top of Vecna's followers most wanted list (because actions have consequences)
- You move to the top of other deities' most wanted list (because god's don't like god-slayers)
- Maybe nothing at all (because the universe is funny like that)

Things not likely to happen
- Possession (I think the DM should be forthright about the possibilities of god-ghosts. I think Dead is Dead for a god, unless somehow resurrected. Wouldn't that suck too. Be stuck in a realm of a rival god with no power at all. Eap! Karmic retribution is +20, keen and vorpal for dead gods)
- Alignment change (because alignment should be a matter of moral and ethical choices. Killing is not good. Killing a bad god is an acceptable not good. eating remains of said god, icky, but acceptable as a cultural process)
- Godhood of any kind (Unless the DM wants to open that can of frostworms)

Telonius
2007-10-09, 09:56 AM
Eventually, Holy Sh**.

Yakk
2007-10-09, 10:24 AM
Thoughts:

1> You never eat or drink again. Anything you eat, you throw up. You feel hunger and thirst, but you cannot keep anything down. As the days go on, you gain a sickly pallor, as your flesh dries out and your muscles shrivel up. This does not change your stats in any way, but it can result in people reacting to you funny. Any charisma bonuses become sufficient to overcome your unearthly appearance, unless the being you are interacting with is behind a protection from evil type spell.

2> When you die, you come back as undead. If you die as undead, you come back as a ghost. Each time you get a bit more crazy. You don't get to die anymore.

3> Cast a up to 1/2 character level as Sorcerer. This does not add to existing Sorcerer levels, but rather provides an additional pool of spells known and spells/day. Occasionally these spells go off without your will or action.

4> Detect as Evil, and held back by Protection from Evil spells, and can be Smited as Evil, etc.

5> On a 20 on any Knowledge skill roll, go mad for 1d6 rounds, then make a will save against (20, +2 for every bout of madness in the last week) or stay mad for 1d6 days, then make another will save at the same DC. On the plus side, you come out of the madness knowing what you wanted.

6> Lose your constitution score. Use your charisma to modify your HP and Fort save.

7> You no longer have any natural healing. Cure spells harm you. Harm spells heal you.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-09, 10:38 AM
First thing: Ewww....

Okay, with it out of the way... Maybe give them a half-fiend template? Them, as it was suggested, some form of evocation.
Although I wonder how one kills a god, short of being at least epic level...

And this thread made me remember the Marvel Zombies short series...

Basically, a "zombie" virus spreads through one of the alternative Marvel universes (it started as a story of the Fantastics Four in the Ultimate comics).
All "edible" beings are eaten, or turned into zombies (that they say to taste horribly). At one point, Galactus arrives, and a group of zombies manage to eat the Silver Surfer (!) making them gain a small version of his powers (flight, energy beans, some degree of invulnerability), and they finally take on Galactus himself, and ate him(!!). After that, they take over his space ship, and start to travel through the universe, as the "devourers of worlds".

goat
2007-10-09, 10:55 AM
Give him an aura that's detectable by, and affects undead. Flip a coin each encounter to decide if the mindless undead will venerate (not attack him personally, -4 to attacks and saves against your companions) or disembowel (+2 to strength, he becomes focus of all their attacks) him. A will-save for any non-mindless to do similar

daggaz
2007-10-09, 11:25 AM
Well, Vecna is an ancient lich, so I imagine that anything that applies to beef jerky applies to him.

In practical terms, I would rule that you never need to eat again. Deities have divine power right? And if you metabolize that divine power it should either be used to energize your body, or...pass through your system. A body nourished by divine energy should therefore never need to eat again.

My emphasis..

You have unending unholy flaming explosive diarrhea. This continues until your entire body has been entirely vacated, and you collapse dead from exhaustion.

Yakk
2007-10-09, 12:23 PM
Actually, a super-zombie outbreak would be a perfect result of that action.

Think of it not on a game level or a character level, but on a legendary level. Why did the world fall under the darkness? Because the Heros killed the god of Undeath, then like fools ate his corpse.

"The Eaters" template idea:
Change type to Undead. Add pre-Undead constitution to post-Eater strength.

Keep all existing HD and HP.

Grant Undead HD equal to 4 plus 1 for every existing HD.

Grant 1 DR and Energy Resist per HD (both the Undead and Normal).

Grant a Bite Attack (or boost existing Bite attack) and Claw attack as if the Undead levels where Monk levels. As a simple action, the Eater may Bite/Claw -2/Claw -2. As a full attack action, the Eater may take a -2 on all attacks and gain a free Bite/Claw at BaB-2 as well. Full strength applies to the Bite damage, and half strength applies to the Claw damage.

Half of the damage done by the Bite attack heals the Eater, and the Bitten must make a fortitude save against DC (20+Damage Delt) or be Infected.

Grant SR and PR 30+1 per Undead HD.

Change alignment to Neutral Evil, and add in an all-consuming desire to Eat the living, and absolutely no desire to communicate with them.

The Infected lose 1 constitution per hour, and cannot be cured nor healed by standard magic, up to and including a Wish by a Divine Being. When they die, they come back 1d6 rounds (if killed by con loss) to 1d6*10 minutes (if killed by damage) later at half-full HP with the Eater template applied.

How long would it take that to overrun the world?

hippie_dwarf
2007-10-09, 01:45 PM
I say no affect at all. Sure you've eaten most of his physical form, but his hand and eye are out there somewhere. Once you've eaten them, divine ranks!

Mewtarthio
2007-10-09, 02:24 PM
I'd say that drinking the blood of any god should at least give you DvR 0. As for eating Vecna... Well, he's undead, and the God of Secrets. You get some horrible disease that not even disease-immune creatures can resist (unless they've got as many divine ranks as Vecna) and feel compelled to keep your condition a secret.

Belteshazzar
2007-10-09, 03:03 PM
I say no affect at all. Sure you've eaten most of his physical form, but his hand and eye are out there somewhere. Once you've eaten them, divine ranks!

Hmm. That means his cult is about to get very proactive in finding these unhallowed relics and may be able to use them to return him to his deified status.

my_evil_twin
2007-10-09, 11:51 PM
I would use the Hand and Eye of Vecna as guidelines for what happens when you get Vecna on/in you. Spell-like abilities and stat boosts would be appropriate.

It's mean, but there should probably be at least one Will Save vs. becoming evil. Vecna was one of the most evil beings in the multiverse, after all, and the Hand and Eye have alignment effects. I would require everyone who ate to make a single save, around DC 14 (just my guess).

tannish2
2007-10-10, 04:41 AM
apart from ceasing to be hungry, you get attacked by its OTHER avatar, and probably a few pissed clerics.

Arlanthe
2007-10-10, 07:52 AM
Does anyone play Puzzle Quest (awesome puzzle game, by the way).

A character that may join the party, the comic-relief Ogre (I forget his name) eats everything in sight. He eats the god at the end of the game. You find a piece of an earlier god, which is part of the game quest line. You deny letting the ogre eat it. "But you can eat the very next god we come across".

At the end of the game...

"You say I could eat very next god we come across...