PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Class: Thaumaturge

Nagog
2019-07-18, 01:37 PM
So I've had an idea for a homebrew class of a caster who exclusively uses magic items to cast their spells, similar to a combat artificer combined with a Wizard. I figure'd I'd run it past ya'll to get some feedback.

As a note, Foci are similar thematically to a Spellcasting Focus, however in play they're closer to wands, with the spells known being dictated by the Focus the Thaumaturge is attuned to, and the slots provided by the Thaumaturge. This class uses Con to determine spell slots, as the Thaumaturge is sacrificing a bit of their own life energy to power the spells they cast. (not reflected in HP). Foci are provided throughout the story by the DM (as such the DM dictates what spells the Thaumaturge has access to, from any spell list).

As a note, this class has the potential to be extremely powerful or extremely underpowered, depending on the Foci the DM gives you access to.

Saving Throws: Intelligence, Constitution
Class Skills: Choose Three: Arcana, Investigation, Perception, Persuasion, Insight, and Deception
Hit Dice: d8
Proficient with: Simple Weapons, Light armor.
A Thaumaturge is proficient with two of the following: Jeweler's tools, Leatherworker's tools, Tinker's tools, Smith's Tools
Proficency Bonus scales like a Wizard
Spell Slots similar to Wizard (Table)
A Thaumaturge can use any 1st-level spell slot to cast Identify, no matter the Foci equipped. Your spellcasting modifier is Constitution.
A Thaumaturge starts play with 1 Focus, containing spells of first through third level, including cantrips. These spells can be chosen from any spell list, but each Focus may only contain spells from one class spell list. Only one Focus may be attuned at a time at 1st level, although this limit increases by 1 at every odd level, to a maximum of 5 at 9th level.
At Second Level, a Thaumaturge may create and keep a spellbook of spells, copied from other Spellbooks or Holy Sciptures, and can cast these spells as a ritual.
3rd Level: Subclasses:
Ritualist: At 3rd level, a Ritualist is capable of casting any spell from their spellbook as a Ritual, regardless of whether or not it has the ritual tag. Spells that cannot normally be cast as a Ritual takes double the normal amount of time to prepare, and as per usual for a ritual casting, can only be cast at the lowest level.
At 6th level, a Ritualist may cast a ritual spell and expend spell slots to increase the level of the spell they are casting to increase it's power. Additionally, when casting a spell with an area of effect in this way, additional spell slots may be used to increase the range, power, or duration of the spell at an increment of 5ft, 1 damage die, or 1 round per spell slot level above the spell's initial level.
14th level: at 14th level, a Ritualist may prepare and cast a ritual spell with only 1 minute of preparation
Foci Master:
3rd Level: At 3rd level, a Foci Master Thaumaturge is able to cast spells through a focus using only the energy of their souls, allowing them to ignore any material component required for their spells when cast in this way.
6th Level: At 6th level, your proficiency with Foci enables you to combine two Foci into one, taking half the spells from each to form a new focus that blends spells from multiple spell lists. This is done by making 7 Arcana checks over a one week period, one per day. If the total of the combined checks does not equal or exceed the sum of the spell's levels, spells must be removed until the check total equals or exceeds the Spell Level Sum.
14th Level: At 14th level, your attunement to your focus becomes so familiar, you may attune yourself to another focus as a Full Action. You may do this a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence Modifier.
4th Level: Ability Score Improvement
5th Level: At 5th level, a Thaumaturge chooses a Spell List to become adept in, whether that be Bard, Wizard/Sorcerer, Warlock, Cleric, or any other Spellcasting Class. When casting spells from their Adept List, you may add a +2 to your Save DC. In addition, you may roll a perception check against a Spell Save DC when you see a spell being cast. On 3 successful checks on a spell, you may add that spell into your spellbook.
6th Level: Subclass Feature
7th Level: At 7th Level, a Thaumaturge is able to create new Foci using an enchanted object worth at least 1000 GP. You may infuse spells into this new Foci from your spellbook by taking one day per spell to infuse it into the object. This infusion is represented by an Arcana check with a DC of 12+the spell's level. Only one spell may be infused per day, and the spell must be found within your spellbook.
8th Level: Ability Score Increase
10th Level: At 10th Level, you may now switch attuned Foci over a one minute period rather than a short rest.
12th Level: Ability Score Increase
13th Level: At 13th Level, a Thaumaturge is capable on enchanting spell slots and spells into an item, such as armor or other equipables. The item may be used to activate a stored spell slot and spell by speaking a command word, chosen during the creation process. These spell slots will last until used, but must be recharged by infusing the item with spell slots of the spell's level by the Thaumaturge who created the item, however the item may be used by anyone who knows the command word.
14th Level: Subclass Feature
15th Level: At 15th Level, a Thaumaturge may attune themselves to two Foci at once, allowing them to access multiple spell lists at the same time. This does not allow two spells to be cast in the same round, however.
16th Level: Ability Score Increase
18th Level: at 18th Level, a Thaumaturge is able to see a spell cast and analyze it to add it to their spellbook with an Arcana check of the spell's save DC + the spell's level. A caster may roll sleight of hand to disguise their spellcasting to prevent this, requiring the Thaumaturge to roll perception against it to successfully analyze the spell.
19th Level: Ability Score Increase
20th Level: at 20th level, a Thaumaturge is able to make their spells permenant. When a Thaumaturge casts a spell with a duration of anything except Instantanious, they may choose to expend a spell slot of one level higher to make their spell last until it is dispelled. A thaumaturge may only have one such spell active at any given time. If the spell lasts longer than 24 hours, a spell slot of the same level as the spell will be consumed for every 24 hours it is active.

3rd Level: At 3rd level, a Foci Master Thaumaturge is able to cast spells through a focus using only the energy of their souls, allowing them to ignore any material component required for their spells when cast in this way.
6th Level: At 6th level, your proficiency with Foci enables you to combine two Foci into one, taking half the spells from each to form a new focus that could potentially blends spells from multiple spell lists. This is done by making 3 Arcana checks over a 3 day period, one per day. If the total of the combined checks does not equal or exceed the sum of the spell's levels, spells must be removed until the check total equals or exceeds the Spell Level Sum.
14th Level: At 14th level, your attunement to your focus becomes so familiar, you may attune yourself to another focus as a Full Action. You may do this a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence Modifier.

Ritualist: At 3rd level, a Ritualist is capable of casting any spell from their spellbook as a Ritual, regardless of whether or not it has the ritual tag. Spells that cannot normally be cast as a Ritual takes double the normal amount of time to prepare, and as per usual for a ritual casting, can only be cast at the lowest level.
At 6th level, a Ritualist may cast a ritual spell and expend spell slots to increase the level of the spell they are casting to increase it's power. Additionally, when casting a spell with an area of effect in this way, additional spell slots may be used to increase the range, power, or duration of the spell at an increment of 5ft, 1 damage die, or 1 round per spell slot level above the spell's initial level.
14th level: at 14th level, a Ritualist may prepare and cast a ritual spell with only 1 minute of preparation

RulesJD
2019-07-18, 02:07 PM
"Your spellcasting modifier is Constitution.

A Thaumaturge starts play with 1 Focus, containing spells of first through third level, including cantrips. These spells can be chosen from any spell list, but each Focus may only contain spells from one class spell list. Only one Focus may be attuned at a time at 1st level, although this limit increases by 1 at every odd level, to a maximum of 5 at 9th level. "

Lol no, unless you mean this to be a joke class. This is in every way superior to, literally, every other full caster. Just...no. There is no sense of balance about this class.

Nagog
2019-07-18, 02:20 PM
"Your spellcasting modifier is Constitution.

A Thaumaturge starts play with 1 Focus, containing spells of first through third level, including cantrips. These spells can be chosen from any spell list, but each Focus may only contain spells from one class spell list. Only one Focus may be attuned at a time at 1st level, although this limit increases by 1 at every odd level, to a maximum of 5 at 9th level. "

Lol no, unless you mean this to be a joke class. This is in every way superior to, literally, every other full caster. Just...no. There is no sense of balance about this class.

For reference: You have the spells known inside the focus, but you don't have the slots to actually cast those spells until later. Similar to a Wizard getting an 8th level spell in their book at level 5. Also, while at later levels you can have multiple foci attuned, you can still only cast 1 spell per round (or with multiclassing, 1 spell and 1 cantrip)

If that isn't the discrepancy you were referring to, do you have any suggestions on how to improve it or are you content just ridiculing the content I'm attempting to put together?

Willie the Duck
2019-07-18, 02:41 PM
If that isn't the discrepancy you were referring to, do you have any suggestions on how to improve it or are you content just ridiculing the content I'm attempting to put together?

You can get snippy all you want, but you should recognize that this carries all sorts of warning flags sticking out of it. But here goes:

Suggestion 1: No to Con or Dex as casting stat. It has been tried. It rarely works. Try building the class with Wisdom or Int as the casting stat, and if everything works out, and the class is clearly underpowered, maybe consider switching it to Con.

Suggestion 2: "As a note, this class has the potential to be extremely powerful or extremely underpowered, depending on the Foci the DM gives you access to." -- this... this just seems like bad design all around. It gives an active secondary gatekeeping role for the DM on top of the standard one that they always have. If the DM and player disagree on what is reasonable, hurt feelings will be exponential. Further, it just sets up the incentive to see if the DM is going to give you a really great set-up when you play this class, and if not choose not to play it. That ends up being a constraint-in-name-only for anyone who actually ends up playing the class.

Suggestion 3: split out the discussion on spellcasting into 1) spells slots and how they are obtained (apparently same as all other non-warlock full casters), 2) how spells known/memorized/otherwise how you determine what selection of spells to choose from when you are expending your slots by casting spells, 3) Spell list (and this discussion on foci), and 4) Ritual casting (and the list there). As it stands all these things are hopelessly confused.

Suggestion 4: Even with DM gatekeeping, being able to pull from any spell list runs the risk of creating bizarre combinations or consequences. Lore Bards get a grand total of 8 'pick from any list' spell and it is a defining feature. To get a class that does it as a matter of course to be balanced, you are going to have to stack on so many limitations that the class will not be able to be a standard full caster type. Make a spell list from amongst the grand total.

Nagog
2019-07-18, 02:54 PM
You can get snippy all you want, but you should recognize that this carries all sorts of warning flags sticking out of it. But here goes:

Suggestion 1: No to Con or Dex as casting stat. It has been tried. It rarely works. Try building the class with Wisdom or Int as the casting stat, and if everything works out, and the class is clearly underpowered, maybe consider switching it to Con.

Suggestion 2: "As a note, this class has the potential to be extremely powerful or extremely underpowered, depending on the Foci the DM gives you access to." -- this... this just seems like bad design all around. It gives an active secondary gatekeeping role for the DM on top of the standard one that they always have. If the DM and player disagree on what is reasonable, hurt feelings will be exponential. Further, it just sets up the incentive to see if the DM is going to give you a really great set-up when you play this class, and if not choose not to play it. That ends up being a constraint-in-name-only for anyone who actually ends up playing the class.

Suggestion 3: split out the discussion on spellcasting into 1) spells slots and how they are obtained (apparently same as all other non-warlock full casters), 2) how spells known/memorized/otherwise how you determine what selection of spells to choose from when you are expending your slots by casting spells, 3) Spell list (and this discussion on foci), and 4) Ritual casting (and the list there). As it stands all these things are hopelessly confused.

Suggestion 4: Even with DM gatekeeping, being able to pull from any spell list runs the risk of creating bizarre combinations or consequences. Lore Bards get a grand total of 8 'pick from any list' spell and it is a defining feature. To get a class that does it as a matter of course to be balanced, you are going to have to stack on so many limitations that the class will not be able to be a standard full caster type. Make a spell list from amongst the grand total.

I don't mean to get snippy, just to request that the criticism is constructive rather than destructive.

As for the power gating of it being up to the DM, I've implemented more player-driven capabilities into the subclasses to give the player a bit more ability in deciding the spells or abilities their character gains access too, but in some areas that may not be enough. Perhaps the player could choose one spellcaster class to specialize in and they can create foci from that class at certain levels?

So for the spells and spell slots, the spell slots are gained in the same way as most spellcasters (except Warlocks, as you stated), however the spells known/prepared is dictated by the foci they have equipped. For example, one focus may have Fire Bolt, Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, and Fireball on it. While attuned to it, that is their spell list (this one is extremely limited due to brevity, although depending on the spells involved some could be this short of a list). If the Thaumaturge has only 1st and 2nd level spells, they'd still have Fireball in their Foci, but they don't have the slots available to cast it yet.

And lastly for the spells coming from any list, that's what I feel is the unique draw to the class. While limited by DM approval and providence of said spells in some form, the ability to combo spells together that normally wouldn't be available together without multiclassing is what makes a Thaumaturge stand out as a class from others.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-07-18, 04:23 PM
I would like to preface my comment by saying I like what you are going for here with this class but I am forced to agree that it would throw off game balance. If it were me, I would start by looking closely at the artificer. This class has too many incredibly powerful functions at it's disposal. (I would remove permanent spells. What happens when your player realizes he can cast all the non conc. spells in the game on himself at once? Good idea. Needs lots of nerfing.

Nagog
2019-07-18, 06:04 PM
I would like to preface my comment by saying I like what you are going for here with this class but I am forced to agree that it would throw off game balance. If it were me, I would start by looking closely at the artificer. This class has too many incredibly powerful functions at it's disposal. (I would remove permanent spells. What happens when your player realizes he can cast all the non conc. spells in the game on himself at once? Good idea. Needs lots of nerfing.

Valid point. Tbh I have yet to play a level 20 character, so anything past about 17th level is inferring the power scaling from the abilities of other classes/subclasses. I've updated it to only allow for 1 such spell active at a time, as well as continuing to require spell slots per day to keep active. Does that better fit the scaling?

Part of the concept of this class grew from the Artificer seeming to not have much of a place in the variety of other classes. Limited spell list, a few useful but gimmicky class abilities, etc. It felt like the class had excellent fluff, but no real direction or role to fill as a class.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-07-25, 04:04 PM
Valid point. Tbh I have yet to play a level 20 character, so anything past about 17th level is inferring the power scaling from the abilities of other classes/subclasses. I've updated it to only allow for 1 such spell active at a time, as well as continuing to require spell slots per day to keep active. Does that better fit the scaling?

Part of the concept of this class grew from the Artificer seeming to not have much of a place in the variety of other classes. Limited spell list, a few useful but gimmicky class abilities, etc. It felt like the class had excellent fluff, but no real direction or role to fill as a class.

The reason I recommended taking another look at the artificer is that the artificer is a good example of how Wizards balances classes that have spell casting and martial abilities. The class you have built needs something unique (like wizards did with the warlock's higher level slots), to balance it. Wizards are the best pure casters in the game because they are so bad at so many other things. A wizard has terrible HP and terrible martial ability (War and bladesongs not withstanding). I recommend sitting down and looking at each level ability one by one and comparing it to the warlock or paladin list. Ask yourself if the ability you have given the class would make a player playing this class overpowered (overall, I know that they will be better at some things and worse at others). I would like to see what you come up with.

These are just suggestions and my process for creating a subclass, Good Luck!