PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tanglefoot bags in 5e

Zhorn
2019-07-21, 09:42 AM
Far from 100% original, just setting up an alchemist crafting recipe for one of my players.

Tanglefoot Bag
As an action, you can throw this bag up to 20 feet, making a ranged attack against a creature or object, treating the tanglefoot bag as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the alchemical substance bursts out, engulfing the target with a sticky, fast-hardening foam. It instantly dissolves in alcohol and is weak and brittle after 1 hour. It does not function in environments without air.
A Large or smaller target hit by a tanglefoot bag is restrained until freed. A creature can use its action to make a Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. The DC for escape is set on crafting the item (8 + Proficiency Dice).

For those not familiar, Proficiency Die are in the Dungeon Master's Guide (p263).

Most of this text has been adapted from older editions, other homebrews and tweaked to try and use similar langue to items like Alchemists's Fire.

What would be a good price for crafting these? In 3.5 they would be purchased for 50 gp if I remember correctly.
Is a 25 gp crafting cost reasonable? Or should it be different considering the variable escape DC I've added.
I wanted the DC to be reasonably useful at higher tiers while not being overpowered in the early game, and also I like proficiency dice as a mechanic.
Too cheap and they'll be used in every encounter, too expensive and they'll never get touched.

Lil Mordecai
2019-08-02, 04:07 PM
Gold isn't as common in 5e as it is in 3.5, and the rules in 5e makes crafting take a long time for little payoff, but if your campaign has enough downtime built into it and enough gold is accessible to players, that seems fair. Maybe figure out roughly how much gold they'll be getting in the next couple sessions and see if the alchemist will have more than 25 G to spare.