PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Re-statting the Succubus/Incubus

jjordan
2019-07-29, 09:26 PM
The idea of the succubus/incubus (SI) as physical demons has always bothered me a little. Having a strictly defined sexual identity also bugged me. It didn't seem to be in keeping with the original idea (temptation that visited in the night and 'put' impure thoughts into the heads of victims). I know they were frequently portrayed as physical beings in art, but I've often felt that was just a representation of an idea.

I was thinking about it and considering making the SI a largely incorporeal creature, like a shadow, that preys on the unaware, seeking to gain enough power to possess them (a very difficult task for them to do) and take physical form. That gives me a power spectrum and makes more sense to me, for a lot of reasons.

Succubus/Incubus

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

8(-1)
17(+3)
13(+1)
15(+2)
10(+0)
20(+5)

Skills: Deception +9, Insight +5, Perception +5, Persuasion +9, Stealth +7
Damage Vulnerabilities: Radiant
Damage Resistance - Incorporeal Form: Acid, Cold, Fire, Thunder, Poison. Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing from non-magical weapons.
Damage Resistance - Corporeal Form: Cold, Fire, Thunder, Poison. Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing from non-magical weapons.
Senses: Darkvision 60', Passive Perception 15'
Languages: Abyssal, Telepathy 60'

Amorphous - When in non-corporeal form the fiend can move through spaces as narrow as 1 inch.
Shadow Stealth - When in non-corporeal form the fiend can take the form of a shadow. While in dim light or darkness it can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Sunlight Weakness - While in sunlight the fiend has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.
Telepathic Bond - The fiend ignores all range limits on telepathic communication with a creature it has charmed.
Telepathic Teleport - The fiend is able to follow its telepathic communication and appear before a creature it has charmed in non-corporeal form. This means abandoning any body it has possessed.
Charm - One humanoid the fiend can see within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed for 1 day. The charmed target obeys the fiend's verbal or telepathic commands. If the target suffers any harm or receives a suicidal command, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. If the target successfully saves against the effect, or if the effect on it ends, the target is immune to this fiend's Charm for the next 24 hours. The fiend can have only one target charmed at a time. If it charms another, the effect on the previous target ends.
Distraction - Any sentient creature within 60' of the fiend must succeed on a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw or be distracted by a momentary vision of the fiend appearing to be someone they love/desire/trust. Spellcasters must save for concentration, distracted creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls.
Draining Kiss - The fiend kisses a creature charmed by it or a willing creature. The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 32 (5d10 + 5) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. The targets hit point maximum recovers by 7hp per long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. The fiend may add these HP to it's total HP.
Possess Victim - The fiend may attempt to possess a charmed victim. The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or the fiend takes control of their body. The victim remains conscious and aware of what is happening but cannot control their body. They may make a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw each 24 hours to break the control of the fiend.

Lore: The succubus/incubus is a fiendish creature that feeds on the life force of living, sentient creatures. It can only do so by taking advantage of the lust of creatures. Note that lust does not need to be present, the fiend can put it there. These fiends are solitary and, unlike most other fiends, don't seek power for the sake of increasing their standing in the abyssal realms. They are quit content to live a solitary existence on the material plan. Their fiendish nature begins to show in the bodies of those they possess, however, forcing them to move on fairly frequently.

These fiends prefer to find shadowed locations from which they can observe a wide variety of victims, telepathically probing minds for suitable targets. If discovered they will use their distraction ability and flee to a hiding place. They can be very vindictive and will often follow those that attack them to cause difficulties for them or to directly attack them.

These fiends prefer to attack indirectly, even when in a physical host. If forced to resort to physical violence they use the abilities of their host. They will use the HP they have accumulated to heal their host and can do this as a bonus action.

Because they must maintain the heightened state of lust to continue to possess and feed on their victims the behavior of these fiends typically gives them away. In corporeal form these fiends will avoid any place that is strongly associated with (or consecrated to) law/order and/or good. Additionally, their fiendish essence begins to wreak physical changes upon the host body (e.g. small horns, red-tinted eyes, claw-like finger-nails, sharp teeth, fangs, a tail, and so on) within 1d4 weeks. When the fiend abandons a host body the physical changes remain (and the host gains +2 to their charisma score) and the victim is subject to lingering mental injuries (manias, phobias, PTSD symptoms, etc...).

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-30, 01:01 PM
Oooooooooooooooooo, I like this. Not only does it a lot for the general theme of the SI, but also makes them much easier (and fun) to throw into a campaign. Demons in an urban setting usually require some backstory, plot or planning. This is a shadow in the night that preys on people. It's a perfect 'natural predator' for the urban environment!