PDA

View Full Version : How can i word this

stewstew5
2019-07-31, 11:49 PM
I'm writing a homebrew class that deals in conjuring and controlling an Aspect, and is basically a way of playing a jjba/persona character without turning it into a total meme. I'm wrestling with the feature that introduces the ability, and though ti would fit well into jot notes, it wouldn't be very clear that way and I want it to resemble the "Spellcasting" feature, where it introduces the idea, then has sub-divisions for clarification and what not. Here's all the information I'm trying to convey

- An aspect takes the form you decide when you get this feature
- An aspect physically, but not statistically, acts and interacts like the form it is in
- Your aspect acts under your control on your turn
- It has three ways of deciding ability scores
1. It has the same ability scores as you
2. You may assign the numbers you rolled/bought for your ability scores (not the numbers you have) to different stats of it's
3. You roll/buy new ability scores for it
- other stats, including move speed and armor class, are equal to yours
- You must use your action if you wish for it to attack, this consumes its action as well
- It has an ability score (of your choice) that all the class features play off of, called an aspect skill
- If damaged, it must make a saving throw (DC 8 + the damage taken), on a failure, it is dismissed
- you can dismiss it as a bonus action
- when dismissed, it disappears until you conjure it again

aimlessPolymath
2019-08-01, 12:23 AM
"At Xth level, you gain the ability to summon a XXXX as an action. A XXXX has whatever physical features you desire. It possesses ability scores {identical to your own, rearranged as you choose; for example, if you had 13 Str and 15 Dex, you could have your XXXX have 13 Str and 15 Dex, or 15 Dex and 13 Str.} it uses your move speed, hit points, armor class, NS proficiency bonus.

It acts during your turn under your control and can independently take the following types of actions: X, Y, Z. As an action, you can grant it the ability to attack using its action. It attacks using YYYY. When damaged, it must make a TYPE saving throw (DC 8 + the damage taken) or be dismissed. "

-I'd say to select one method of deciding stats and apply it for all stands, rather than giving the option to the players to choose between multiple options (especially multiple options that are subsets of each other- there's no reason to choose option 1 when you could just describe it equivalently using option 2). I put the relevant area to swap out in {brackets}.
-The highest score it has is going to be the aspect skill. Just assume that by default when mentioning the aspect skill in class features- instead of talking about the aspect skill, say "their highest ability score bonus". Alternatively, use a static number like 3 or 4- rewarding minmaxing for a single highest stat doesn't seem right to me.

stewstew5
2019-08-01, 01:11 AM
"At Xth level, you gain the ability to summon a XXXX as an action. A XXXX has whatever physical features you desire. It possesses ability scores {identical to your own, rearranged as you choose; for example, if you had 13 Str and 15 Dex, you could have your XXXX have 13 Str and 15 Dex, or 15 Dex and 13 Str.} it uses your move speed, hit points, armor class, NS proficiency bonus.

It acts during your turn under your control and can independently take the following types of actions: X, Y, Z. As an action, you can grant it the ability to attack using its action. It attacks using YYYY. When damaged, it must make a TYPE saving throw (DC 8 + the damage taken) or be dismissed. "

-I'd say to select one method of deciding stats and apply it for all stands, rather than giving the option to the players to choose between multiple options (especially multiple options that are subsets of each other- there's no reason to choose option 1 when you could just describe it equivalently using option 2). I put the relevant area to swap out in {brackets}.
-The highest score it has is going to be the aspect skill. Just assume that by default when mentioning the aspect skill in class features- instead of talking about the aspect skill, say "their highest ability score bonus". Alternatively, use a static number like 3 or 4- rewarding minmaxing for a single highest stat doesn't seem right to me.

I know what you mean about minmaxing, that's a little nagging thing in the back of my head, and same goes for your point on stat deciding. But I want every aspect to be as unique and applicable as STANDS or Personas, (They get "talents" later on, which are similar to eldritch invocations, to give each aspect it's powers), but with that being said, It could also embolden that to make them roll for their aspect as well, in a "work with what you get, it'll be better for you, you'll see" sorta way (Think Survivor or Cheap Trick) (Although admittedly Cheap Trick isn't a "you'll see" scenario)