PDA

View Full Version : Barding Around

Enzario
2007-10-10, 06:44 PM
The Situation: Playing in a 6th-level Greyhawk game on these forums. I'm planning on being a bard, the type that delights in running away after conning people out of money, and doing a damn good job of keeping the town guard off his back. I'm talking like Jack Sparrow minus the high fail chance.
The Concept:
6th level, standard wealth
Bard or Beguiler, but Bard with the Bardic Knack alternative class feature from the PHB2 seems like the best fit
specializes in messing with people. in a metagame sense, that means crowd/battlefield control, maneuverability, and funness.
thinking either spiked whip (if the DM allows it) or hidden throwing knives
Stats (in any order): 16, 15, 13, 13, 12, 10
LA is allowed, but I'd rather keep it to a minimum of 1
Limit yourselves to the books in my sig, if you please

I'm thinking that I should definately get good ranks in tumble and sleight of hand, and Haunting melody as his 6th level feat (again, dependent on DM approval). Human, probably, since I want to be useful in combat, and those feats come in very handy. Ideas/suggestions? I'm open to them.

MeklorIlavator
2007-10-10, 06:49 PM
The Situation: Playing in a 6th-level Greyhawk game on these forums. I'm planning on being a bard, the type that delights in running away after conning people out of money, and doing a damn good job of keeping the town guard off his back. I'm talking like Jack Sparrow minus the high fail chance.
The Concept:
6th level, standard wealth
Bard or Beguiler, but Bard with the Bardic Knack alternative class feature from the PHB2 seems like the best fit
specializes in messing with people. in a metagame sense, that means crowd control, maneuverability, and funness.
thinking either spiked whip (if the DM allows it) or hidden throwing knives
Stats (in any order): 16, 15, 13, 13, 12, 10
LA is allowed, but I'd rather keep it to a minimum of 1
Limit yourselves to the books in my sig, if you please

I'm thinking that I should definately get good ranks in tumble and sleight of hand, and Haunting melody as his 6th level feat (again, dependent on DM approval). Human, probably, since I want to be useful in combat, and those feats come in very handy. Ideas/suggestions? I'm open to them.

What book is Haunting Melody in? Besides that, I like the concept.

Enzario
2007-10-10, 06:54 PM
It's in the Eberron Campaign setting. It requires at least 9 ranks in a perform skill. Basically, it allows you to use your bardic music to make your enemies shaken.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-10, 06:55 PM
Pump Bluff as well and maybe invest in the Jack of All Trades feat if anyone you know as Complete Adventurer. You can effectively make a skill check for any skill, with or without ranks. Pick up on some good utility spells, some save-or-die (Tasha's), and fun ones (Summon Instrument for...a grand piano). Versitile Performer (also from CA) can help. A half-elf bard with awesome social skills may fit your character concept, so take the half-elf paragon. Make up for the lost feat with a flaw from UA.
Sorry if my ideas revolve around CA; the book first piqued my interest in the utility of bards. Cool concept though.

Jannex
2007-10-10, 07:44 PM
Let's see...

My ability distribution suggestions, given that you mentioned wanting some combat utility, are as follows:
Str: 12
Dex: 15 (+1 at 4th level)
Con: 13
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

I'd recommend Weapon Finesse at 3rd level, if you're going with the whip or any other melee weapon. Quick Draw is nice with throwing daggers, but since you won't have iterative attacks until 8th level, you have the option of saving it for your level 9 feat, since you can draw a weapon while moving. The only caveat there is if you plan on having the daggers concealed (as per Sleight of Hand), then you probably will want Quick Draw sooner than later.

It's been a while since I've looked at it, but I think there's a feat in the Eberron book called "Song of the Heart" that boosts your Inspire Courage bonus; might be worth a look.

Ganon11
2007-10-10, 07:52 PM
If you're looking to be good at skills, consider being an Elf and taking Elf Dilettante from ROW, giving you a +1 to all untrained skill checks.