PDA

View Full Version : A few alchemical items

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-11, 08:08 PM
Just some ideas I had, I need some suggestions on pricing.

Cryofluid
Craft DC: 15
Raw ingredients: Acid dissolved in 10 times its volume of water
Cost: 35 GP
A fluid which is permanently cold. Metal, leather or wooden items which are splashed with it will become rigid and shatter if they take (or deal) damage equal to or greater than their hardness (bows and slings will not function until they are defrosted as they are too rigid to work). Any creature splashed with this takes 2d6 cold damage.

Stain Dye
Craft DC: 5
Raw ingredients: Several common plants
Cost: 10GP
This is always carried in a sealed container. After it makes contact with the air, the next surface it comes in contact with is stained the colour of the dye. One vial can cover an area of up to 5ft, or one set of clothes for a medium sized creature. The dye may be of any colour, in addition the dye may have any of the following traits added with the appropriate change in DC;
{table=head]
Dye trait|DC|Price Modifier
Light glow (creature always visible in the dark)|+5|+10gp
Mid glow (dim light up to 15ft.)|+10|+50gp
Heavy Glow (bright light up to 10ft., dim light up to 20)|+15|+100gp
Watermark (stain may be made to appear or disappear with a command word)|5|+50gp
Tactiling (confers the texture of any surface to the stained area)|5|+200gp
Texture (Makes the stained surface resemble an flat surface, e.g. rock, human skin)|10|+150gp[/table]

Stain Solvent
Craft DC: 5
Raw ingredients: Lamp oil
Cost: 5GP
Washes away stain dye stains from a surface, leaving nothing. On vial can clear 5ft. of stains, nothing else is affected.

Chemical Caltrop
DC: 15
Raw ingredients: Urea, seaweed
Cost: 60GP
This is a pinkish paste. When it is poured on a surface (one vial covers 5ft) it dries after one round. If it is stepped on (or otherwise has any pressure or excess heat applied) it will suddenly explode into a purple cloud, dealing 1d6 force damage to whoever stepped on it. Anyone standing adjacent and the one who set the trap off must make a reflex save (DC10) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.

Instant Steel
DC: 15
Raw ingredients: 2lb of iron
Cost: 110GP
This is initially a claylike substance with a small vial of fluid. The claylike substance may be arranged into any shape (treat it as clay for craft checks), if the fluid is poured over it then it hardens (the amount of fluid poured over it is immaterial as it simply acts as a trigger for the enchantment), transmuting itself into steel after 5 seconds (just under a round). It is sold in 10x10" cubes with the vial of fluid in the center and a leather covering. This weighs a total of 1lb. If the fluid is lost or otherwise not available the transmutation can be triggered by a DC 10 Use Magical Device or Spellcraft check.

Instant Hole
DC: 20
Raw Ingredients: The flesh of an Ethereal Filcher
This is a pitch black paste which hardens after one round. When it dries it transports all matter within one foot of the unexposed side (or half a foot either side if it’s sandwiched between two objects) to the ethereal plane. While on the ethereal plane the matter occupies the space it would have on the material plane. Structures are no longer supported by the missing matter and may collapse. All matter returns after 10 + 1d6-1 rounds. Instant hole solution does not work on any matter charged with positive or negative energy (i.e. alive or undead) or otherwise magically charged (i.e. constructs). One bottle is sufficient to coat 2ft. squared of matter. An object completely coated in the substance is sent to the ethereal plane for the duration of the enchantment.

Hyper-Flavouring^
DC: 10
Raw Ingredients: See Below
A hyper flavouring represents one of the four different flavours (salt, sweet, bitter, sour). It is simply an otherwise inert fluid which tastes very strongly of its flavour, the raw ingredient for each flavour are below;

{TABLE=Head]Flavour|Ingredient
Salt|Pure Sea Salt
Sour|Acid
Bitter|Cheese
Sweet|Sugar or any fruit[/TABLE]

They may be watered down and used in normal cooking, providing a +1 circumstance bonus (this does not stack with the bonus provided with masterwork tools). If a creature smells or tastes the flavouring then they must make a will save (DC 10+CL of alchemist) or be nauseated for 1 round.

Thickened Oil
DC: 10
Raw Ingredients: Lamp oil
This is thick, greasy, translucent oil. If it is smeared on a surface and lit it will stick and burn for 5 minutes. This may be done to a metal weapon (causing it to deal an extra 1d6 fire damage per hit), a surface of up to 5ft. (1d6 fire damage to anything that touches it) or a helpless creature (1d6 damage per round). It may also be applied to a corpse to incinerate it.

Divine Draught^
DC: 25
Raw Ingredients: The blood of a Celestial, taken willingly*
Once drank, this potion (always stored in a white bottle with golden patterns) will apply the celestial template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/celestialCreature.htm) to the imbiber for 5 + (1d4-1) days. This potion is only effective if drank by a corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, plant, or vermin of good or neutral alignment. Some Celestials will carry a supply for followers or allies.

Blasphemous Brew**
DC: 25
Raw Ingredients: The blood of an evil outsider or creature with the Fiendish template, taken willingly**
Once drank, this potion (always stored in a black bottle with glowing red patterns) will apply the fiendish template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fiendishCreature.htm) to the imbiber for 5 + (1d4-1) days. This potion is only effective if drank by a corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin of non-good alignment. Some demons and devils will carry a supply for thralls or allies.

Potion of Living Weapons
DC: 10 + (see below)
Raw Ingredients: A piece taken from each of the weapons the potion will grant
When drank this potion gives the imbiber natural weapons and skills. What weapons it grants depend on what was used to make the potion. See the chart below.

{TABLE=HEAD]Improvement|Raw Ingredient|DC Mod|Cost Mod
Bite Attack|Any creature's fangs|+5|+50gp
Poison Sting (barbs anywhere on body or natural weapon, caster's choice)|Any creature’s sting and a poison to be granted|+5|+100
Replace an arm (or similar limb) with weapon|A piece taken from the weapon to be granted|+5|+50
Increase AC +1|Flesh of a creature with natural armour bonus of at least +3|+10|+75
Claw on one hand (may be added twice with half the cost for the second)|The claw of any creature|+5|+50[/TABLE]

The imbiber is granted whatever qualities were placed upon the potion when it was prepared for 3d10 minutes or until the imbiber dismisses the results (a free action). The imbiber gains a +1 bonus to intimidate checks plus another 1 for every 2 weapons the potion grants for the duration of the effect. The imbiber is treated as proficient with all weapons they are granted, and they are immune to poisons they deliver through a sting attack. Natural and artificial weapons are appropriate to the creature's size. Natural weapons not mentioned in the table may be added subject to the DM's approval.

*Ingredients marked with an asteroid will not necessarily be found in an alchemical lab and may have to be obtained via a special purchase or adventuring.

**This item/item cannot be obtained legally, at least in parts of the world where people care for such things.

^Semi-legal or controlled substance in many places.

Lavin
2007-10-11, 08:35 PM
Hey, now I could definitely use the instant steel and chemical caltrops! That's great!

raichi
2007-10-11, 09:44 PM
for the stane dye how long would it last?

Lavin
2007-10-11, 10:05 PM
I would say that the stain dye lasts untill it's washed off with the stain solvent.

As for the pricing, here's what I would go with:

Cryofluid: 30-35 GP

Stain Dye: 5-10 GP

Stain Solvent: 3-5 GP

Chemical Caltrop: 60-65 GP

Instant Steel: 100-120 GP

Does this sound alright?

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-12, 12:30 AM
I would say that the stain dye lasts untill it's washed off with the stain solvent.

As for the pricing, here's what I would go with:

Cryofluid: 30-35 GP

Stain Dye: 5-10 GP

Stain Solvent: 3-5 GP

Chemical Caltrop: 60-65 GP

Instant Steel: 100-120 GP

Does this sound alright?

I think that should do.

Machete
2007-10-12, 12:32 AM
The only qualm I have is this:

"Watermark (stain may be made to appear or disappear with a command word)"

Command words are magic which alchemical items are not. This, I believe, is invalid.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-12, 12:37 AM
The only qualm I have is this:

"Watermark (stain may be made to appear or disappear with a command word)"

Command words are magic which alchemical items are not. This, I believe, is invalid.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster. If you are working in a city, you can buy what you need as part of the raw materials cost to make the item, but alchemical equipment is difficult or impossible to come by in some places. Purchasing and maintaining an alchemist’s lab grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks because you have the perfect tools for the job, but it does not affect the cost of any items made using the skill.

Icewalker
2007-10-12, 12:41 AM
Well...these are awesome.

I especially like the stain dye. I can see sneakily putting light glow onto an opponents armor or clothes, then attacking him at night. :smallamused:

Lyinginbedmon
2007-10-12, 01:17 AM
I'm sure there's something off with the chemistry here, but otherwise they seem good. Feel free to use HAL for mass production :smallwink:

Machete
2007-10-12, 01:51 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm

I understand that, but Alchemy isn't Spell. I've never seen an alchemical item that responds to command words. Craft: Alchemy isn't Craft Wondrous Item.

Alchemical Items are nonmagical items. Just items created using magic to bend the laws of chemistry and such.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-12, 01:54 AM
I understand that, but Alchemy isn't Spell. I've never seen an alchemical item that responds to command words. Craft: Alchemy isn't Craft Wondrous Item.

Alchemical Items are nonmagical items. Just items created using magic to bend the laws of chemistry and such.

Well if it makes you feel better, the laws of chemistry have been so bent as to cause a dynamic equalibrium to shift when a specific series of vibrations (perceived by creatures with the ability to hear as sound) strike its surface, causing a change in the oxidation states of metal ions present (perceived by creatures with the ability to see as a change in colour due to the effect the change in electron orbitals has on the wavelengths of the electromagnetic radiation within the visible spectrum which strikes the equalibrium and is subsequently deflected).

Machete
2007-10-12, 02:26 AM
Key it to a certain tone such as produced by a specifically manufactured tuning fork and I'd say its valid.

Its not realism, its consistancy :D

KingGolem
2007-10-12, 05:20 PM
Aha! Excellent work Bisected8! :smallbiggrin: However, I have a couple of questions and concerns about some of the items.

First of all, I'm not entirely sure about what you mean by the raw materials of the Cryofluid. It says it needs acid dissolved in 10 times its volume of water, so would you have to pay for the cost of acid in addition to the regular price of crafting? Do the stats below represent the creation of a 1 pint flask of Cryofluid, thus calling for 1/11th of a pint of acid for the raw materials (approximately 9s)? Or is the raw materials section simply a flavor-thing and you pay the regular crafting price? Please clarify this for me.

Second of all, shouldn't the properties given for the Stain Dye include modifiers for the cost (and therefore the raw materials) as well?

Finally, the DCs for Chemical Caltrops and Instant Steel seem a bit too low. In the Players Handbook, even the simplest of all alchemical items, a flask of acid, has a DC of 15, but Chemical Caltrops and Instant Steel seem like they are much more sophisticated substances.

Other than that, it looks very good, and these are definitely going in my campaign setting. :smallcool:

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-19, 02:52 PM
Aha! Excellent work Bisected8! :smallbiggrin: However, I have a couple of questions and concerns about some of the items.

First of all, I'm not entirely sure about what you mean by the raw materials of the Cryofluid. It says it needs acid dissolved in 10 times its volume of water, so would you have to pay for the cost of acid in addition to the regular price of crafting? Do the stats below represent the creation of a 1 pint flask of Cryofluid, thus calling for 1/11th of a pint of acid for the raw materials (approximately 9s)? Or is the raw materials section simply a flavor-thing and you pay the regular crafting price? Please clarify this for me.

Second of all, shouldn't the properties given for the Stain Dye include modifiers for the cost (and therefore the raw materials) as well?

Finally, the DCs for Chemical Caltrops and Instant Steel seem a bit too low. In the Players Handbook, even the simplest of all alchemical items, a flask of acid, has a DC of 15, but Chemical Caltrops and Instant Steel seem like they are much more sophisticated substances.

Other than that, it looks very good, and these are definitely going in my campaign setting. :smallcool:

The RIs are just flavour and its assumed that a player with the correct lab has access to to all the ingrediants they need, unless of course you want to bring in a system which says otherwise. And your right about the DCs/cost modifiers. I'll get right on it.

TheLogman
2007-10-19, 03:04 PM
Fun, interesting items, especially the instant hole, and chemical caltrops.

boomwolf
2007-10-19, 03:43 PM
Chemical Caltrop is now stolen for the use of one of my main villains in a game i am running that loves using liquid stuff (he turns himself into liquid sometimes...)

reorith
2007-10-20, 12:06 PM
whats up with the umd on instant steel? and why is spellcraft an alternate way of activating it?

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-20, 02:41 PM
whats up with the umd on instant steel? and why is spellcraft an alternate way of activating it?

The idea is that the transformation from a clay like substance to steel is self contained and the fluid which comes with it is merely a trigger. As the trigger is magical it seems logical to me that you would be able to create the signal "manually" if you knew enough about magic.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-20, 03:41 PM
I've added a couple of more powerful items and spelling/grammar checked the document.

Yeril
2007-10-20, 04:44 PM
I love chemical caltrops, I can just imagine a charging hobgoblins feet suddenly getting a blast of chemical energy knocking him over painfuly.

hylian chozo
2007-10-21, 06:48 PM
the potion of living weapons confused me a little, does "replace an arm (or similar limb) to a weapon" mean an artificial weapon? like a sword or something?
(I'm picturing cap't axe from oots)

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-21, 07:00 PM
the potion of living weapons confused me a little, does "replace an arm (or similar limb) to a weapon" mean an artificial weapon? like a sword or something?
(I'm picturing cap't axe from oots)

It turns one of the arms into a natural version of an artificial weapon. For example a piece of bone forms a blade in the shape of a sword or the whole thing just swells up into a club.

hylian chozo
2007-10-22, 07:11 PM
thanks, that makes more sense