PDA

View Full Version : Playable race : Rogue Modron

SolvAnt
2019-08-20, 07:38 AM
Hi,
I am trying to come up with a playable version on the Modron. In the planescape setting there were modrons gone rogue. Now I have seen a couple homebrew version of these but they all seem unbalanced.

I looked at the stats in the monster manual and came up with this. I KNOW it is to stong as is. Can you help me balance it please ?

Rogue Modron
Ability score increase : +2 dex, +1 con
Alignement: LN
Size: M
Speed: 30, fly 30
Type: Construct (does that change anything beside imunity to the hold person spell ?)
Mechanus lenses: truesight 120 ft
Natural armor: 14+dex, shields can add to that. Armors do not fit unless build for you (cost double)
Remnants of axiomatic mind: Advantage on saves vs. Charm.

I think fly speed + truesight + nat armor is to much. Maybe make 3 subraces that have to chose one of these ?

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-20, 09:42 AM
1. Constructs mean you can't be healed, and that your players will demand that the mending spell instead heals the character. So basically, it's a can of worms.
2. Where did you get that armor value from? Use the warforged natural armor, since it is based on your class proficiency, but always grants more armor than you would have acquired for each level. I've tried to use something else, but always end up coming back to it. Is a beautifully designed feature.
3. Truesight has got to go. It's not that it's strong, it's unfun and not engaging. Make it a 1/long rest ability instead.
4. Fly speed isn't broken if you have to land at the end of the movement ;). Honestly, I have no idea how broken flying is or how to fix it. Sorry I can't help you more.

SolvAnt
2019-08-20, 10:53 AM
1. Indeed the construct type is not a good idea. Does not bring much to the game besides problems.
2. Armor value is from the monster manual. Monodrons have 15 ac and 13 dex. Quadrones have 16 ac and 14 dex. I figured it must be 14+dex. Using the warforged might be a good idea.
3. I knew truesight was way out of bounds. I will come up with some ability that has limits. Or downgrade it to darvision.
4. Flying in short burst is a good idea too.

Thanks. I'll be back later with an updated version.