PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Knowledge Skills with....

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-25, 06:09 AM
I'l include the most recent version of my Knowledge mechanic at the top. The road that lead to here is then detailed below.

--------------------------------------------

Version 1.1

Knowledge
Your character has lead an entire life before he started adventuring, and has learned a lot of things on his way. Your character’s experience and accumulated knowledge is represented with his list of Fields of Study.

Field of Study
At character creation you are likely to gain multiple Fields of Study related to your Class, Race, Background, Skills and other features, and there is no limit as to how many Fields of Study your character can have. As you gain levels you can gain additional Fields of Study through the Research downtime or as adventure rewards.

Example: Dave’s character is a wood elf. If you wonder what kind of knowledge his character has acquired it is obvious that he is extremely familiar with the woods, and of course the customs of his people. This would give him the Terrain (Woods) and Culture (Wood Elves). In addition, his background is a Burglar, which gives him Crime (People, Organizations, Burglary).

Knowledge Checks
Knowledge checks come in three complexities:
Common Knowledge: There is no restriction on who can attempt this ability check.
Uncommon Knowledge: Without the relevant Field of Study you have disadvantage on your ability check.
Specific Knowledge: A character cannot attempt this ability check without the relevant Field of Study.
----------------------------------

Introduction
There are a lot of things about how knowledge checks have evolved in my games that I don't like. I don't like how to be an academic/scholar type character you need to sacrifice 3 skill proficiencies (at least). I don't like how, even with those 3 proficiencies, the skill is heavily based on whether the DM prepared some information to be found (varies). As a DM, there is information I want the player to find, and information I want them to figure out later, but to the player its all just knowledge checks. Sometimes a player comes with a request, and I'll just arbitrarily bunch it into a knowledge skill, since I don't mind him getting access to that information. Sometimes the player brings up a reasonable use for his skill, like history, but there is no WAY his character just KNOWS something about a 1000 year old lost civilization the campaign is currently exploring. The player then of course feels cheated when I deny his request to roll a check. I don't like how in my game knowledge checks seem to have little to do with the character and remove a lot of the interesting plots that can come from seeking out information, such as engaging with the setting and its NPCs.

I want to try something out. I haven't completely thought this out, but I know something has got to be done. "When things aren't working, the worst thing you can do is change nothing." So here I am, not entirely sure what I'm doing, trying to make some changes to knowledge checks. Even if I implement this only for a playtest, it'll at least serve to change things up.

Let me explain my thought process on how attempt to address these problems and hopefully spice up my game a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Design Goals:

Encourage players to engage with the setting
Give players more chances to use their character-specific knowledge
Draw a clear line as to what knowledge a character might possess, and what he definitely doesn't.

Let's See what Happens if We Remove Knowledge Checks
Instead of using checks most things can be figured out by engaging with the setting. This can be done either by a Research downtime or talking to NPCs. This should give information some weight.

Consequences!
Now, if this were to be presented to me as a player, I'd be furious. Not just because players don't like having things taken away, but also because I am a Ranger, and I should have some knowledge about the wilderness. I am a Wizard and I should know about spells. I have the scholar background and I should know history. I just spent a full 30-day downtime researching High-Elves, I think that should allow me to make knowledge checks regarding their history, customs and culture.

The Compromise!
I am considering separating knowledge from skills, and give them their own mechanic. This mechanic would revolve around each field of study being much more narrow and using the following: "If you don't have the appropriate knowledge you cannot roll for knowledge regarding X, or do so at a disadvantage". This comes straight from Composer99's Complexity mechanic, which is a great way to make a player feel he is not competent at the task he's attempting (Disadvantage invokes a much stronger feeling in the player than an increased DC).
Now, there is precedent for this: Tools. Tools are a weird niche subset of skills that have very specific and limited use, and without them those specific uses are simply not possible, and they don't count as skills. What if we could create a mechanic using the guidelines tools has laid out for us to create a more engaging and dynamic knowledge mechanic?

How would this look?
Each character gains a Knowledge List, which is a formalization of all fields of study that character has spent significant time and effort learning. Many features come bundled with knowledge, such as backgrounds and certain classes. Whenever a feature grants you knowledge you add that subject on your Knowledge List.

When you make an Intelligence ability check to recall information relevant to a subject from your Knowledge List you can add your proficiency bonus to the roll.

Sometimes your DM might require a specific subject to be on your knowledge list in order for you to be able to make a check, or have you make the check with a disadvantage, representing your lack of knowledge on the subject.
This is very true for real life. Can you tell me what the chemical formula (Na,Ca)(Mg,Li,Al,Fe2+)3Al6(BO3)3Si6O18(OH)4 stands for? Without engaging with the world around you or having already studied advanced chemistry, you can't really guess.

Now, by making each subject rather specific we have eliminated the 'all encompassing' feeling of History and Arcana checks. We've also managed to connect RP-elements to mechanics, which usually means it'll see more use, helping the players bring their character, and their backstories, to life.

What goes on my Knowledge List?
During session 0, take some time to discuss what the fields of study are relevant to your character. Come with as many suggestions as you want, and allow your DM to make the final call. Race, class, subclass and backgrounds are great starting points.

The research downtime allows you to add a field of study. If the players are having troubles with vampires, and one player decides to learn about their weaknesses via the Research downtime, that knowledge is with that character from that point forward.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now there is no 'FREE' knowledge; it is always tied to something in the in-game world. This could be your background, your class, other backstory elements or how you spend your downtime.
Players like using what's on their sheet. Now that we've added all these story and roleplaying elements we hopefully get to see them have more effect on how a character is portrayed by his player. A player who wants to play a bookworm will have to actively play his character as a bookworm; taking the scholar background and using his downtime to research (you know, like a BOOKWORM WOULD).