PDA

View Full Version : RPG Attributes Layout

Malfarian
2019-09-03, 12:09 PM
RPG Attributes

Goal4Post: A discussion for those interested, if you’re tired of this discussion or just not interested, please scroll on by!
MyGoal: Modify the list of standard attributes without it feeling awkward when you use them. I’m also trying to get this out of my head as it’s clogging things up there.

I am making a Dice Pool system to model combat and social encounters well. I’ve spent years playing games like Vampire the Masquerade and Exalted as well as D&D. I find myself feeling stuck in either of their paradigms for attributes. I’ve also looked at Fate (which I love, but have not played, and Song Fire and Ice) for inspiration. TBT I look at nearly every RPG system I find. I have also avoided this post for some time as I’ve seen such ugly and frustrating conversations appear. A lot of people telling others what to do, I don’t want that, I want a discussion.

System: I have a Dice Pool system, meaning that you get dice from your Attribute + Skill when making most tests.

I’ve split the attributes into two groups, Primary (active) and Secondary (passive). This is meant to reflect that you’d use your strength to take an action, but probably not your willpower or composure.

Primary Attributes
These are meant to be active attributes, all about equivalent depending on the situation. I want different archetypes to choose one as their primary or main attribute. This is part of the driving force for perception NOT being in the list. I also do not have an innate empathy or intuition stat, that’s mainly for balance. I want all the stats to be roughly worth taking for a character type.

Strength - A measure of your physique and your ability to use your body effectively for feats of strength. (For example, A halfling might not have the muscle mass of a human, but they have innate muscle memory and adaptability to generate large forces with their muscles.)

Agility - a measure of your nimbleness, and manual dexterity. I know many people want Agility and manual Dexterity separated, I have a “Flaw” for this, meaning you’re good at one or the other, but as a default if you’re agile you’re also dexterous. I don’t want a huge list of attributes, what’s huge? idk.

Intellect - your ability to reason and understand objectively. Could be in the form of book smarts or life smarts.

Wits - your ability to think quickly and observe well ( to me I have a hard time understanding a high wits without a high perception without a physical limitation). I also have a flaw to account for those with high wits but poor perception.

Charisma - your innate charm and ability to persuade people based on emotions rather than reason.

Cunning/Guile - your ability to manipulate others to your cause, based off of reasoned arguments (though not necessarily correctly so). This also seems like it could wrap into subterfuge and trickery.

Insight - your innate understanding and ability to manipulate the magical forces holding them world together.

Here’s where I’m getting stuck. The divisions between Wits and Cunning/Guile seem quite blurred. As in it’s hard to imagine someone with high Cunning but low wits. So that would seem to imply that these should be the same stat. However from a game balance point of view, Perceptions, Wits and Cunning as one stat seems like too much. So perhaps I should split off perception, but then that feels like it’s too weak on it’s own. Sure it’s important for combat and social things, but that starts to feel “gamist” to me.

I’m also not sure where things like Command/leadership should be based off, for awhile I considered Will to be an active attribute, but when i tried my skill and attribute pairings, Will just didn’t show up for most actions.

Note about Social stuff - I don’t want a “you are telling the truth” vs “you are lying attribute”.

Secondary Attributes

Stamina/Endurance - a measure of your ability to keep going physically and overall health. You might roll this, such as a pursuit across terrain, rather than your agility, your ability to not stop seems most important to me.

Composure - a measure of your social resolve and ability to remain calm, to fit in and act like you’re supposed to be somewhere. It might be rolled but not often.

Willpower - your measure of mental resistance and self control. Could also include spiritual resistance.

Reflexes - a combination of your perception and ability to react.

What do you think of these divisions? Should I shift things here?

LibraryOgre
2019-09-03, 01:26 PM
My gut? Break Perception off from Wits, and fold the rest of Wits into Cunning/Guile.

Dienekes
2019-09-03, 01:38 PM
Thing is, being quick witted and being guileful are usually considered the same, or at least very similar, things.

Without knowing how the rest of your system is tooled, you could just rename Wits into Perception. Or if you want to allow a bit more wiggle room, in my own brew I made the D&D Wisdom equivalent Focus. Which effected some (but not all) Perception skills and Concentration.

Malfarian
2019-09-03, 03:53 PM
My gut? Break Perception off from Wits, and fold the rest of Wits into Cunning/Guile.

I have thought about this some, but I've resisted since I want all primary attributes to be something you'd pick as a primary character defining stat.

I'm not sure I can think of archetypes that Perception is that stat.

I am happy to see though that you don't think it's crazy for Cunning and Wits to merge.

Thank you for your feedback.

Malfarian
2019-09-03, 03:54 PM
Thing is, being quick witted and being guileful are usually considered the same, or at least very similar, things.

Without knowing how the rest of your system is tooled, you could just rename Wits into Perception. Or if you want to allow a bit more wiggle room, in my own brew I made the D&D Wisdom equivalent Focus. Which effected some (but not all) Perception skills and Concentration.

Thank you for your comment, do you think Perception is a primary stat? Like character defining? I'm not sure I do. Sure it's important, but it's not something you'd choose to dump all your points into.

I appreciate your feedback.

Dienekes
2019-09-03, 04:24 PM
Thank you for your comment, do you think Perception is a primary stat? Like character defining? I'm not sure I do. Sure it's important, but it's not something you'd choose to dump all your points into.

I appreciate your feedback.

Depends how the system is set up. in more complex systems I’ve seen Perception used for ranged attacks and/or your defenses. And my Focus is used for part of the spellcasting process. Both can be a primary stat. But the system has to be designed to support it.

I actually kinda like the Perception for ranged attack thing. From my experience neither my agile footwork nor my nimble fingers have really helped me loose a bow or shoot a crossbow. Of course that could just be because I’m somewhat trained in knives and wrestling with almost nothing in aiming. So I may just be confusing Attributes with training here.

Malfarian
2019-09-03, 05:43 PM
Depends how the system is set up. in more complex systems I’ve seen Perception used for ranged attacks and/or your defenses. And my Focus is used for part of the spellcasting process. Both can be a primary stat. But the system has to be designed to support it.

I actually kinda like the Perception for ranged attack thing. From my experience neither my agile footwork nor my nimble fingers have really helped me loose a bow or shoot a crossbow. Of course that could just be because I’m somewhat trained in knives and wrestling with almost nothing in aiming. So I may just be confusing Attributes with training here.
This is a really interesting idea, I’ll ponder it. Thanks.

I’m trying to thread the needle between detailed, fun and quick.

When we sit and play test aspects of it, they’re always fun. Once I’ve got a draft, we’ll see if someone not us can understand it.