PDA

View Full Version : Jim Henson's Monsters- Labyrinth and Dark Crystal

Renrik
2007-10-13, 05:00 PM
Right, this thread is partly to recognize that Jim Henson is freakin' awesome and that he made great movies filled with fantastic creatures.

The second part is to figure out the stats of various monsters from the Henson universe. I own Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, and I've been thinking about making stats for the following creatures:

Labyrinth:
Labyrinth Goblins
Ludo
Trash Ladies
Cannonballs

The Dark Crystal:
Gelflings (new race?)
Skeksis
Mystics
Landstriders
Podlings
Crystal Bats
those nasty crablike monsters the Skeksis use as soldiers

Hell, maybe even make the Dark Crystal as an artifact.

I'm thinking, as far as Skeksis and Mystics are concerned, they should have some kind of special ability like:

Bound Fates: The Skeksis is bound in his fate to a single Mystic somewhere in the universe, and vise versa. Any damage, ability drain, or ilness suffered by the Skeksis is also suffered by the Mystic. Likewise, any damage, ability drain, or ilness suffered by the Mystic is also suffered by the Skeksis. Any healing that occurs to the Skeksis occurs to the Mystic, and any healing the Mystic receives heals the Skeksis as well. If the Skeksis is slain, the Mystic also perishes, and if the Mystic is slain, the Skeksis dies as well.

Remember, the female gelfings have to have at least rudimentary wings.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-13, 08:58 PM
Oooh, i love that movie. I haven't seen it in sooo long. I'm afraid im not a really good homebrewer, so im can't really help there.

Renrik
2007-10-13, 09:14 PM
^ Which movie?

Gelfling
Small Humanoid (Gelfling)
Hit Dice By character class- warriors 1d8 (4)
Initiative+1
Speed: 20 feet
Armor Class 13 (10+1 dex+ 2 leather armor)
Base Attack +1
Attack Dagger +1 (1d3-1), Sling +3 (1d3)
Full AttackDagger +1 (1d3-1) or Sling +3 (1d3)
Space/Reach5/5
Special AttacksNone
Special Qualities Gelfling Traits
Saves Fort+2, Ref+1, Wil+0
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 13
Skills Hide +7, Move silently+5, Listen+5, Spot+5, Tumble +3
Feats Alertness
EnvironmentTemperate Forests
Organization Solitary, Pair, Band (8-14 plus 150% noncombatants), or Village (20-60 plus 150% noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: none

Gelflings are a small, reclusive race of fey-like humanoids with wide cheekbones and narrow chins, flat noses, large eyes, and pointed ears. They tend to have straight hair of any color, and females tend to be slightly paler than males. Another notable difference between the genders is that females have insectlike wings that can be conveniently folded and hidden behind regular clothing. Gelflings are consumate musicians and artists, and they love to make music or decorate their woodland homes. They are friends with the podlings, but fear the skeksis and their servants.

Combat
Gelflings tend to avoid combat if they can, only striking if cornered or if their loved ones are threatened. Gelflings prefer to run from conflict.

Gelfling Traits
Small size: +1 to AC, +1 to attack roles, +4 to hide checks, -4 to grapple checks, Lifting and carrying limits 3/4 that of medium creatures

+2 to Charisma. Gelflings are charming creatures
-2 to Strength. Gelflings do not posess great muscle mass
Females, being lighter than males, take an additional -1 to strength and -2 to constitution

+2 to listen checks and spot checks. Gelflings have highly honed senses
+2 to move silently checks. Gelflings are naturally gifted at being silent

Dreamfasting: Gelflings can know eachothers' memories by touching one another. When any two gelflings touch their hands together, they may choose to enter a dreamfast. The dreamfast lasts for one round, during which the gelflings may take no actions or defend themselves. All of the important thoughts and memories of the two gelflings are passed from one to another. A gelfling may choose what to include and exclude in a dreamfast. Dreamfasting does not grant skill bonuses.

Female Wings: Females of the gelfling race have insectile wings that they can hide beneath their clothing. They cannot use these to fly, but they can use them to glide or to slow a fall.
By using her wings to slow a fall, a female gelfling may descend at a rate of 10 feet per round in a controlled fall, taking no falling damage. She may carry no more than 120 pounds of extra weight with her while doing this.
To glide, a female may leap into the air and use her wings to guide her along. She descends at a rate of 10 feet per round, and may move up to 10 feet horizontally for every five feet she moves vertically.

Favored class: Bard. Gelflings love to make music, and take naturally to the bardic art.

Serpentine
2007-10-14, 02:16 AM
Labyrinth:
Labyrinth Goblins
Ludo
Trash Ladies
Cannonballs

What about the flame... guy... things? You know, the ones that can pull bits off themselves. They're called Flame Somethings, I think.

Renrik
2007-10-14, 02:06 PM
^Oh, yeah! I forgot about them.

Hey, man, that's his head! Hey, man, that's my head!

Next up: Landstriders?

Lord Zentei
2007-10-14, 02:09 PM
The crab-warrior things were called "Garthim", and should probably be constructs of some kind.

EDIT: as for their stats, it really depends on the power level you're going for.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-14, 02:13 PM
I saw the Dark Crystal.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-14, 02:49 PM
Garthim

Large Construct (Garthim)
Hit Dice 6d10 (63)
Initiative -1
Speed: 30 feet (cannot run)
Armor Class 18 (-1 Size, +9 natural), Touch 9, Flat Footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple +4/+15
Attack Claw +11 (2d6+7)
Full Attack 2x Claw +11 (2d6+7)
Space/Reach10 ft. / 5 ft.
Special AttacksNone
Special Qualities Construct Traits, Garthim traits (see below)
Saves Fort+2, Ref+1, Wil+2
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills -
Feats -
EnvironmentAny
Organization Solitary, Pair, Pack (3-24)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None (one in four or so will carry a huge cage or net for captives).
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-12 (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Garthim are apparently mindless constructs created by the vile Skeksis to serve as their foot soldiers and enforcers in the world of the crystal. For almost a thousand years, they have rampaged against any who would oppose their masters, collecting slaves and leaving naught but terror and destruction in their wake.

Garthim are utterly loyal to the Skeksis and cannot be controlled by any other force. They never communicate, possessing no intelligence of their own.

Combat
Garthim lumber into combat striking down their opponents with their massive claws. They show little strategic aptitude beyond swarming their opponents and can be outmanouvered and outrun by more dextrous foes. However, there are few in the world of the crystal can stand against them in melee.

Generally, they are programmed to try and capture slaves for their masters, and will thus attempt to deal nonlethal damage. They carry huge nets with which to carry their quarry to the Castle of the Crystal.

Due to the fear the Skeksis hold for the Gelflings, the Garthim will attack members of that race in preference to any other foe, effectively disregarding any other mission they might have at the time of the encounter.

Garthim Traits
Large size: -1 to AC, -1 to attack rolls, -4 to hide checks, +4 to grapple checks.
Slave-takers: Garthim suffer no penalty for dealing nonlethal damage.
Darkvision up to 60 ft.
Low-light vision.
Damage reduction 5/magic.
Spell resistance 17.

Comments: I am assuming a relatively modest-level campaign, as seems to be consistent with Jen and Kira. :smallwink: In any case, these guys are no pushovers, with HD equal to minotaurs, and abilities equal to clay golems.

Note that a landstrider is supposedly capable of killing a couple of them before being mobbed by their buddies.

EDIT: Added net.

EDIT 2: Fixed boo-boo regarding their Initiative (penalty due to low Dex).

EDIT 3: Added comment to the effect that the Garthim cannot be controlled by non-Skeksis.

EDIT 4: Fixed hit point total; thanks to Altair_the_Vexed.

Renrik
2007-10-14, 02:57 PM
I like it. If you want to do Landstiders, I think you'd do a better job at it than I. I think I'll focus on the Skeksis and Mystics, or maybe do something from Labyrinth

Lord Zentei
2007-10-14, 03:10 PM
Landstrider

Huge Animal
Hit Dice 10d8 (85)
Initiative+0
Speed: 50 feet
Armor Class 17 (+2 Dex, -2 Size, +7 natural), Touch 10, Flat Footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple +7/+25
Attack Hoof +17 (2d8+10)
Full Attack 2x Hoof +17 (2d8+10)
Space/Reach15 ft. / 10 ft.
Special AttacksNone
Special Qualities Low-light vision, scent, animal traits.
Saves Fort+10, Ref+9, Wil+5
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills Listen +10, Spot +10
Feats Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Run
EnvironmentAny
Organization Solitary, Pair, Herd (4-32)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None.
Advancement: 11-15 (Large)

Landstriders are huge and graceful herbivores who wander the plains of the world of the crystal. Though generally peaceful, they are fearsome if roused to battle, their hoofs striking with prodigious force. Though seldom domesticated, Landstriders can be very useful and cooperative with those who know the secrets of pacifying these mighty beasts.

Combat
Landstriders strike with their powerful hooves in combat.

Landstrider Traits
Huge size: -2 to AC, -2 to attack rolls, -8 to hide checks, +8 to grapple checks.
Though they are herbivores, Landstriders are fearsome in combat. They do not receive the usual penalty to hit with their natural weapons, and use their full Strength modifier.

Comments: Hmmm. I'm not quite sure whether this guy can take two Garthim before being killed, though the statistics seem appropriate, somehow. Well, it works, in any case.

NINJA'D EDIT:

I like it. If you want to do Landstiders, I think you'd do a better job at it than I. I think I'll focus on the Skeksis and Mystics, or maybe do something from Labyrinth

Thanks. Here is the Landstrider in any case. And come to think of it, it was both Kira and Jen's Lanstriders who fought together against the Garthim, so perhaps these are not too far off. :smallwink:

And how large was the Landstrider heard in any case? Can't remember. Oh, well.

EDIT 2: Added trait to clarify the Landstriders' prowess in combat, no to-hit penalty and full Str bonus.

EDIT 3: Concatinated the following to avoid double posting:

Crystal Bats

Tiny Construct (Crystal Bat)
Hit Dice ½d10 (5)
Initiative +2
Speed: 5 ft. (cannot run), flies 50 ft.
Armor Class 14 (+2 Size, +2 Dex), Touch 14, Flat Footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple +0/-10
Attack Claws -2 (1d2-4)
Full Attack Claws -2 (1d2-4)
Space/Reach 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Construct Traits, Crystal Bat traits (see below)
Saves Fort+0, Ref+2, Wil+0
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 15, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills -
Feats -
EnvironmentAny
Organization Solitary, Pair, Flight (3-18), Swarm (10-100)
Challenge Rating: ¼
Treasure: None.
Advancement: -

Like the Garthim, Crystal Bats are constructs created by the Skeksis. The Crystal Bats are used to scout and scry the land for any who would dare threaten the Lords of the Crystal. They are horrid caricatures of natural bats with a bloated eye of purple crystal where their heads should be. It is through this eye their masters survey all that they command.

Crystal Bats are utterly loyal to the Skeksis and cannot be controlled by any other force. They never communicate, possessing no intelligence of their own.

Combat
Crystal Bats generally do not engage in combat, as they are ill suited for that role. Instead, their primary role is reconnaissance, a task for which they excel. Should they be commanded to fight, they will rely on their superior numbers. In the absence of such orders, they will tend to avoid engagements, instead alerting the Skeksis to the presence of the threat, using their Mind Link ability.

Crystal Bat Traits
Tiny size: +2 to AC, +2 to attack rolls, +8 to hide checks, -8 to grapple checks.
Mind-link.
Darkvision up to 120 ft.
Low-light vision.
Spell resistance 10.

Mind Link [Su]

The Skeksis can see anything a Crystal Bat can see through the Dark Crystal. Activating this ability requires that the Skeksis be within 30 ft. of the Dark Crystal and activate the scrying function as a standard action. The Skeksis can switch in this way between any of their Crystal Bats.

Crystal Bats can be programmed to emit an alarm through the Dark Crystal whenever they see an object, creature or person fitting a description that has been made available to them in advance.

Skeksis can give new instructions to any number of Crystal Bats through the Mind Link at a time.

Comments: Their construct nature was a bit of a problem, since that means they cannot take the Weapon Finesse feat and use their Dex to attack. Oh, well, they were not meant as combat types in any case.

I made them Tiny instead of Diminutive, since I got the impression that they were rather larger than natural bats.

And that's it from me. I understand you wanted to do the sentients. :smallwink:

Recommend high Int and low Wis for the Skeksis; modest Int and high Wis for the Mystics, and that both should have more than 1 base HD...

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-14, 04:25 PM
These look great - and I'm glad someone's working on these creatures: they're a fundamental part of my childhood fantasy upbringing. Excellent work! :smallsmile:

One thing though: I may be missing something, but how do you get 95 average hit points for a 6d10 HD creatre (the Garthim)? The same issue comes up on the Landstrider, which you've given 85 hp from 10d8.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-14, 04:37 PM
These look great - and I'm glad someone's working on these creatures: they're a fundamental part of my childhood fantasy upbringing. Excellent work! :smallsmile:

One thing though: I may be missing something, but how do you get 95 average hit points for a 6d10 HD creatre (the Garthim)? The same issue comes up on the Landstrider, which you've given 85 hp from 10d8.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

As for hit points:

In the case of the Garthim, it is the bonus hit points due to their being constructs. Constructs have a trait that allows them to gain extra hit points based on their size category (+30 in the case of large creatures). This is both to reflect their resilience and to compensate for their lack of a Con bonus.

And, of course, it's a boo-boo. That should be 63 hit points, not 95 (fixed now, thanks).

As for the Landstriders, it is the Constitution bonus. With a Con 18, they receive +4 hit points per hit die, which means 4½+4 = 8½ hit points per hit die, or 85 hit points for the 10 HD.

Renrik
2007-10-14, 06:26 PM
I remember when I first saw these movies. I was born in 1990, so they came out before I was born. My cousins kept on telling me I had to watch two movies called Labyrinth and Willow, so when they came over to visit on two seperate occasions, we went to the local video store and rented them, first Labyrinth, then Willow. A year or so later, I was sitting in the Library, looking over old books in the oversized books section down in the basement, and I found a copy of the Dark Crystal in book. I loved it. I saw the movie a few months later.

I'm working on Skeksis and mystics and typing it up on microsoft word. Probably post it in a day or two. I've been making them sentient races with a +2 or so LA, and most of them have class levels. The favored class for Skeksis is probably scorcerer. Not sure about the Mystics. Either druid or wizard. Maybe a variant druid without wild shape. The urSkeks are another story entirely. High LA, and probably wizard for favorite class.

Podlings... does anybody else want to handle them, or should I?

Then we get into Labyrinth. Maybe I'll take the bird-people that take themselves apart.

Maybe make the full stats for the Goblin King. I think he's a bard. He's good with enchantent and illusion, he's chismatic, and he sings. A lot. Plus, he's David Bowie, and David Bowie is a bard. Still, I don't want to handle that project.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-14, 09:57 PM
^Oh, yeah! I forgot about them.

Hey, man, that's his head! Hey, man, that's my head!

Next up: Landstriders?

Headhunters.

Chilly down with the wild gang! Think small with the wild gang! Good times, bad food! When things get wild, chilly down chilly dow~wn!

Renrik
2007-10-16, 04:13 PM
Should post the Skeksis and Mystics by thursday morning.

Did Jim Henson make any movies other than the Muppet series, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, and maybe anything involving Sesame Street?

Darkkwalker
2007-10-17, 08:06 PM
What about that witch woman in the Dark Crystal? I forget her name. But she had that hut, with the living vine things that caught the main character. She also had that huge moving model of the planet and suns and moons and stuff. And she had the crystal shard.