PDA

View Full Version : Spooooky Tunes

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-15, 06:33 AM
Trying to put together a sort of 'Halloween soundtrack' and wonder what kind of songs would fit?

So far I have...

Halloween movie theme
Monster Mash - Bobby Pickett
Ghost Riders In the Sky - Johnny Cash
Monster's Holiday - Buck Owens
Midnight In Montgomery - Alan Jackson
I Believe In Ghosts - Jason Aldean
Sittin' Up With the Dead - Ray stevens
Ghostbusters - Ray Parker
Lady In Black - Uriah Heep
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Heirate Mich - Rammstein
Nightmare - Brainbug
Gollum's Song - Lord of the Rings soundtrack
A Night On Bald Mountain - Leopold Stokowosky
Organ In D Minor - Bach
Those We Don't Speak Of/The Gravel Road - The Village soundtrack
Mercede's Lullaby - Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack
X-File's Theme

I also found the original radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds from 1938 that I'll be adding afterwards.

Neon Knight
2007-10-15, 06:41 AM
Don't forget the Haunting Torgo Theme!

Attilargh
2007-10-15, 07:12 AM
How about Cadence of Her Last Breath by Nightwish? Poet And the Pendulum is a good one as well, but a tad long at 13:55. Both are from the new album Dark Passion Play.

rollfrenzy
2007-10-15, 08:43 AM
Welcome to My Nightmare by Alice Cooper (Whom I have met , Nice guy)
Dragula by White Zombie
Electric Funeral Fire or War Pigs by Black Sabbath
Twilight Zone by golden earring.
Halloween by Dave Mathews Band

Just some thoughts. Please post the final play list if you don't mind.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-15, 10:26 AM
Monster Mash - Bobby Pickett

i made a spoof of that in a year 8 music class, it was so awfull but it was so fun to make haha

Sundog
2007-10-15, 10:39 AM
Welcome to My Nightmare by Alice Cooper (Whom I have met , Nice guy)

Yeah, he is. I was privileged to meet him on his last trip to Oz. Very polite, really pleasent guy.

Might I suggest his Black Widow? Nicely atmospheric.

Setra
2007-10-15, 10:42 AM
I forget the actual name of the tune.. but the theme to the Exorcist.

Serpentine
2007-10-15, 10:45 AM
Well, "Every Step You Take" has a nice creepy "is he singing about stalking or what?:smallconfused:" feel to it. The only other one I can think of, I don't know the name to... A friend of mine made me a random CD with it on it. It includes the lyrics
Half a pound of tupenny rice
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the money goes
Pop goes the weasel!
Half a pound of heroin
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the story goes
Out comes the evil

and involves some screaming and anger and stuff. If anyone knows what it's called, I'd appreciate knowing...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-15, 11:23 AM
Ok, let me refine some things. The songs I'm wanting also have to have at least somewhat family-friendly lyrics here...

Penguinizer
2007-10-15, 11:28 AM
Wait, you mean creepy as in making people creepy. Or for hosting a halloween party. If your friends are metal-heads. Then Forever by Berzerker can be a choice. The lyrics are somewhat creepy. Although it's hard to make out what they say. Mr.Torture by Helloween is another good one.

Umm...

Cross those two :P

Daimbert
2007-10-15, 11:29 AM
For Alice Cooper songs, "Teenage Frankenstein" and "Man Behind the Mask" are good bets, and were even IN the soundtrack of a horror movie (one of the Friday the 13th movies). And the lyrics are reasonably family-friendly.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-15, 11:29 AM
The orochimaru theme by Toshio Masuda.

Once apon a time in the West by Ennio Moricone has a very eery theme to it.

beholder
2007-10-15, 11:35 AM
stairway to heaven played backwards. by led zeppelin
it may just be me who finds that creepy though...

Penguinizer
2007-10-15, 11:38 AM
I truly can't think of any songs with creepy lyrics that are very family friendly.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-15, 11:39 AM
Wait, you mean creepy as in making people creepy. Or for hosting a halloween party.
Making people creepy?

Neither really, just spookyish songs.

To use my current selection for example...

Halloween movie theme (sounds creepy)
Monster Mash - Bobby Pickett (it's the classic halloween tune)
Ghost Riders In the Sky - Johnny Cash (it's about hell-bound cowboys continually riding after the devil's herd in the afterlife)
Monster's Holiday - Buck Owens (another monster-type song)
Midnight In Montgomery - Alan Jackson (it's about the singer going to visit the grave of another singer who he sees as a ghost)
I Believe In Ghosts - Jason Aldean (not really spooky, but about how he still feels the presence of the girl that left him)
Sittin' Up With the Dead - Ray stevens (this is a comedic song about how an old man died and he was so bent over they had to straighten him out for the funeral, but the ropes came lose so he sat up and spooked everyone into a stampede)
Ghostbusters - Ray Parker (what more needs said?)
Lady In Black - Uriah Heep (it's about a guy meeting a sort of spirit)
Enter Sandman - Metallica (it's a song about nightmares)
Heirate Mich - Rammstein (I have no idea what he's saying, just that it 'sounds' very creepy)
Nightmare - Brainbug (this is just creepy sounding instrumental)
A Night On Bald Mountain - Leopold Stokowosky (same as above, but it was played to a really creepy part of Fantasia)
Those We Don't Speak Of/The Gravel Road - The Village soundtrack (another eerie instrumental)
Mercede's Lullaby - Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack (eerie instrumental and humming)

If your friends are metal-heads. Then Forever by Berzerker can be a choice. The lyrics are somewhat creepy. Although it's hard to make out what they say. Mr.Torture by Helloween is another good one.
Blech, no, no metal....

Penguinizer
2007-10-15, 11:44 AM
Ack, I meant creeping people out. Mr.Torture is creepy. It is basically a song about torture, sung in an almost cheery way. But, you can probably notice it's not very family friendly :smalltongue:

Telonius
2007-10-15, 11:53 AM
"The Purple People Eater," by Sheb Wooley.
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door," by Bob Dylan. (Guy's dying - at least a little creepy).
"Behind Blue Eyes," The Who
"Boogie Man," Aerosmith. Creepy instrumental.
"Black Chamber," by Blind Guardian. Weird and creepy.
"Mordred's Song," also by Blind Guardian. Arthur through the eyes of Mordred.
"Creep," cover by Roland Orzabal. If you can get your hands on a copy of this, it's terrific. Very moody, very creepy.
"I'm Looking Through You," by The Beatles. The Muppets did a version of this with ghost puppets.

Glawackus
2007-10-15, 12:03 PM
Gollum's Song -- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King soundtrack
Incredibly creepy. Frodo's quest the way Gollum sees it. Not a song to listen to when you're by yourself at night. (Or at least, I don't think it is. :smalleek: )

Tales of Mystery and Imagination -- The Alan Parsons Project
Actually an entire album--all of the songs are based on the work of Edgar Allan Poe. I'd say the creepiest is "The Cask of Amontilado" (for those who haven't read the story or heard the song, it's about a guy who pretty much buries his friend alive in a basement for making fun of him).

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds -- Various Artists
Yes, it's a musical of sorts, based on The War of the Worlds. The sound of the fighting machines/tripods is pretty scary (especially when they come in at the end of "Thunder Child"), and the second epilogue track ("Part 2: NASA") made me jump.

Telonius
2007-10-15, 12:09 PM
Any of the Oompa Loompa songs from the original "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."
"Li'l Red Riding Hood," by Sam the Sham.
"Sympathy for the Devil," by the Rolling Stones
"Werewolves of London," by Warren Zevon. (I think there was a group of authors who have a band - they did a version of this where Stephen King was the lead singer. Haven't heard it myself, but the fact that Stephen King is singing a song about werewolves is just badass.)
On that note, "Stand By Me" is pretty creepy, when taken in context of "The Stand."

Penguinizer
2007-10-15, 12:26 PM
tal.
"Black Chamber," by Blind Guardian. Weird and creepy.
"Mordred's Song," also by Blind Guardian. Arthur through the eyes of Mordred.

Those would be good. A Past and Future secret is good as well. Another more metal, still creepy song would be Bright Eyes, and Born in a Mourning Hall. Blind Guardian rules :)

Setra
2007-10-15, 12:59 PM
Tubular Bells

Das Tir in Mir by E Nomine kinda gives off a creepy vibe.

rollfrenzy
2007-10-15, 01:09 PM
A couple more...

Hotel California by The Eagles
Brain damage/the eclipse by Pink Floyd
People are strange or The End by The Doors

Daimbert
2007-10-15, 01:15 PM
"Thriller" by Michael Jackson would work as well, and is reasonably family friendly. You can't go wrong with Vincent Price [grin].

Setra
2007-10-15, 01:16 PM
You can't go wrong with Vincent Price
The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Daimbert
2007-10-15, 01:22 PM
The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

I'd STILL say they didn't go WRONG with that, since it's mildly entertaining and his voice is still, indeed, his voice [grin].

Jack Squat
2007-10-15, 01:57 PM
I'll definetly second Tubular Bells (part one is the theme to The Exorcist for whoever was wondering).

I'd also agrue that the Outlaw's version of Riders in the Sky beats Cash's...but I'm probably in the minority there.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-10-15, 04:19 PM
Twin Peaks, although it's immeasurably more scary if you've seen the TV series.

Dance of the Dream Man.

Freaks me out to this day.

Glawackus
2007-10-15, 04:52 PM
"Werewolves of London," by Warren Zevon. (I think there was a group of authors who have a band - they did a version of this where Stephen King was the lead singer. Haven't heard it myself, but the fact that Stephen King is singing a song about werewolves is just badass.)

That was The Rock Bottom Remainders--they were an all-author group. Amy Tan and Dave Barry were in there, too. (You're welcome for that trivia. :smallbiggrin: )

DomaDoma
2007-10-15, 05:21 PM
Insanity by Oingo Boingo has to be the creepiest song I've ever heard.

DraPrime
2007-10-15, 05:33 PM
Dance of Death by Iron Maiden is pretty creepy if you actually listen to the lyrics.

Catch
2007-10-15, 05:55 PM
How could anyone not mention Halloween by The Misfits?

zeratul
2007-10-15, 06:15 PM
Halloween ~ Stephen Lynch

Raven T.
2007-10-15, 07:51 PM
Beetlejuice Theme -Danny Elfman

Come on, how could we have forgotten that?:smalltongue:

Jorkens
2007-10-15, 08:57 PM
Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus.
Jack The Ripper by Screaming Lord Sutch.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-10-15, 09:11 PM
These ones by The Pogues might fit the bill:

Sit Down By The Fire - crazy fast silly Irish punk version of a folk song about "the things that come creeping whenever you're sleeping."

Lullaby of London - a really lovely song, in my opinion. "May the wind that blows from haunted graves never bring you misery..."

Worms - it's only about 30 seconds long but oh yes, no Halloween soundtrack should be without this one.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-10-16, 07:37 AM
It's a Halloween soundtrack and noone's mentioned Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo?! Get out! Now! Bad People! No, seriously, that's a good song and relatively "creepy" yet entirely family-friendly... and danceable 80's goodness as well :D

Other things to consider: The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack, Beetlejuice , Corpse Bride... pretty much anything by Eflman, including his Oingo Boing stuff, is creepy. He just exudes a massive amount of creepy. He's got like an Aura of Creepy (dc 24 will save or be creeped out).

Serpentine
2007-10-16, 08:40 AM
My dad has a vinyl record of horror sound effects. That could work :smallbiggrin:

Haneyparadox
2007-10-16, 09:48 AM
Well. many of the tunes i would have recommended have already been listed, but ive got a few more in my catalog yet.

Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Deep by Danzig
Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Riders on the Storm by the Doors
Cry Little Sister By Gerard Mcmann (this is on the Lost Boys Sound Track)
To The Shock of Miss Louise by Thomas Newman (also on the Lost Boys sound track nice creepy carnival music)
Witchy Woman by The Eagles

rollfrenzy
2007-10-16, 11:23 AM
Has none of us mentioned The phantom of the opera theme?

DraPrime
2007-10-16, 04:02 PM
Has none of us mentioned The phantom of the opera theme?

It's less spooky and more....grandiose. Also, a great song is The Ripper by Judas Priest.

The J Pizzel
2007-10-16, 04:31 PM
The Ride - by David Allen Coe. Same idea as Midnight in Montgomery. He picks up a hitchhiker and it ends up being Hank Williams Ghost. Pretty good song.

Semidi
2007-10-16, 10:00 PM
Well, "Every Step You Take" has a nice creepy "is he singing about stalking or what?:smallconfused:" feel to it. The only other one I can think of, I don't know the name to... A friend of mine made me a random CD with it on it. It includes the lyrics
Half a pound of tupenny rice
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the money goes
Pop goes the weasel!
Half a pound of heroin
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the story goes
Out comes the evil

and involves some screaming and anger and stuff. If anyone knows what it's called, I'd appreciate knowing...

I knew that song! I was listening to Lords of Acid today and heard it.

Lords of Acid - Out comes the evil off of Voodoo-U... I think. That or Lust or Body Worship, they only have a few good albums. Most of their songs aren't spooky though, try fetish.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-05, 11:17 PM
Maybe I'm stepping in a little late, but this needs mentioning in this thread...

AKLO (http://www.aklo.net/?gclid=CL6M2LDnm48CFRctagodLka-eg)

Evil_Pacifist
2007-11-06, 10:02 AM
Desperanto by Marianne Faithful used to scare the heck out of me, but I don't think it's really what you're looking for.

Hmm...

Dead Man's Dream - Procol Harum

Man in the Long Black Coat - Bob Dylan

The Siren - Nightwish

... Maybe.

EDIT: I heard you could download the BioShock soundtrack for free somewhere, I don't know what it sounds like, though.

Construct
2007-11-06, 05:01 PM
The Ghosts 'n' Goblins level one theme (http://gngseries.retrogames.com/gng1/gng2level1.mid) by Mark Cooksey
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by some dead white guy =)
And to whomever suggested Johnny Cash's Riders on the Storm I say pfffft! Snoop's cover is scarier =p

EntilZha
2007-11-11, 09:17 AM
Here's my Halloween playlist from my mp3 player:

Angel Witch – Sorceress
Black Sabbath – The Wizard
Blue Oyster Cult – (Don’t Fear) the Reaper
Blue Oyster Cult – Godzilla
Alice Cooper – Feed My Frankenstein
Alice Cooper – Welcome to My Nightmare
Cradle of Filth – A Scarlet Witch Lit the Season
Cradle of Filth – Cemetery and Sundown
Cradle of Filth – Death Magick for Adepts