WIS
CHA

24 (+7)
9 (-1)
20 (+5)
3 (-4)
11 (+0)
1 (-5)

Damage Immunities (Golem): Fire; Poison; Psychic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Nonmagical Attacks That Aren't Adamantine
Damage Immunities (Rider/Pilot): Piercing and Slashing damage from non-magic weapons
Damage Resistance (Rider/Pilot): Fire; Bludgeoning damage
Damage Vulnerability (Rider/Pilot and Golem): Lightning
Condition Immunities (Golem): Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned
Senses Darkvision 120 Ft.
Immutable Form. The golem is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Magic Resistance. The golem has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons. The golem's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions
Multiattack. The golem makes two melee attacks.
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (3d8 + 7) bludgeoning damage.
Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: (3d10 + 7) slashing damage.

Lore/Fluff

The Eisenkriegers (Iron Warriors) are iron golems designed to be piloted/worn by a human who wears the golem from an interior, human shaped, compartment in the back of the golem. These pilots are referred to as riders. Originally designed to fight elves the golem suits have been re-purposed for fighting frost giants in the South. The Eisenreich produces a few of these each year. These 10 foot tall deformed stick figures are covered with the magical sigils that contain the power that animates them. They are typically supported by a team of 6-12 fighters/archers who prevent the golem from being swarmed and engage targets at distance.

Riders must be attuned to the golem. Golems can only be attuned to one rider at any given time. Attunement takes 1d6 weeks during which the rider must work with the golem for eight hours per day. At the end of this time the rider may make a DC17 Charisma check to try to attune. If they fail they must repeat the attunement process if they wish to try again. Unattuned riders take 1d4 points of psychic damage for each 8 hours they are piloting/riding a golem, may not apply any proficiency modifiers during that time, and are at disadvantage on all combat actions.

When riding a golem the pair merge all characteristics except Charisma. Add the stat modifiers together to get the appropriate stat for the golem-rider pairing. E.G. A rider with a 10 dexterity adds her modifier (+0) to the golem's modifier (-1) to produce a merged modifier of (-1). The golem-rider pairing produces a merged personality where the rider is the primary director but the golem has input. This pairing can be attacked by some psychic spells, disrupting the bond for a short time or even, in extreme cases, breaking attunement. Riders are also susceptible to becoming lost in the pairing. Anytime they spend more than 8 continuous hours in the golem they must make a DC8 Charisma check to successfully separate from the golem. If they fail they are trapped in the golem (because they don't want to leave) for an hour before they can attempt to separate again. Add +1 to the DC for separating. These penalties stack in the case of multiple failures. On a critical fail (natural 1) of the separation check the rider permanently loses 1 point of Charisma.

The golems are not particularly intelligent or motivated. Without a rider they will mill around within a space and defend themselves if attacked. They eat a minimum of 20lbs of iron per day. They can eat unrefined iron and will excrete the impurities. For each additional 20lbs of iron they eat per day they can recover 1d4 HP. If not fed for more than 16 hours they will go looking for food unless they are being ridden.

Gold-Titanium Golem - Soona'har Mooth (Golden Fist)

Large construct, unaligned
Armor Class 21 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 210 (20d10+100)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

20 (+5)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
3 (-4)
11 (+0)
1 (-5)

Damage Immunities (Golem): Fire; Lightning; Poison; Psychic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Nonmagical Attacks
Damage Immunities (Rider/Pilot): Piercing and Slashing damage from non-magic weapons
Damage Resistance (Rider/Pilot): Fire; Bludgeoning damage
Condition Immunities (Golem): Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned
Immutable Form. The golem is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Magic Resistance. The golem has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons. The golem's attacks are magical.

Actions
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (3d8 + 7) bludgeoning damage.
Force Swords. Melee Weapon Attack: reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: (3d10 + 7) slashing damage.

Lore/Fluff

An elvish version of the Eisenkrieger. Constructed from a gold-titanium alloy that is non-magnetic, light (about 80% the weight of steel), and very durable. Only ever constructed for and used by elves, though they are often found supporting human or halfling soldier-servants where heavy resistance is expected. These were created in reaction to the appearance of the Imperial Eisenkriegers and are optimized for dealing with those weapons. Each Soona'har Mooth contains a copper mesh that creates a Faraday cage which protects the rider from magnetic/lightning effects. This also eliminates the rider's (an elf) ability to use their magnetic senses.

Riders must be attuned to the golem. Soona'har Mooth can only ever attune to one rider. Attunement takes 2d6 months during which the rider must work with the golem for eight hours per day. At the end of this time the rider may make a DC20 Charisma check to try to attune. If they fail they must repeat the attunement process if they wish to try again. Riders must have elven heritage in order to attempt attunement. Any non-elvish creature that attempts to attune will take 2d6 points of psychic damage per round they are in the golem. A Soona'har Mooth cannot be operated by anyone that is not attuned.

When riding a golem the pair merge all characteristics except Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom. Add the stat modifiers together to get the appropriate stat for the golem-rider pairing. E.G. A rider with a 10 dexterity adds her modifier (+0) to the golem's modifier (-1) to produce a merged modifier of (-1). The attunement of the rider with the golem may be attacked, even destroyed, by some psychic spells.

The golems are not intelligent or motivated. Without a rider they will sit still and take no actions, even if attacked. They eat a minimum of 2lbs of gold per day. For each additional 1lbs of titanium carbide they eat per day they can recover 1d4 HP. They are capable of manifesting force swords.

Bronze-Titanium Golem - Ka'ans Mooth (Bronze Fist)

Large construct, unaligned
Armor Class 19 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 105 (10d10+100)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

20 (+5)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
3 (-4)
11 (+0)
1 (-5)

Damage Immunities: Lightning; Poison; Piercing, and Slashing From Nonmagical Attacks
Damage Resistance: Fire; Bludgeoning damage
Condition Immunities: Paralyzed, Petrified
Senses Darkvision 60 Ft.
Magic Weapons. The golem's attacks are magical.
Aggressive. The base personality of the golem is always looking to fight. The attuned pair get +1 on all initiative rolls.

Actions
Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: (3d10 + 7) slashing damage.

Lore/Fluff

The Ka'ans Mooth is the golem suit the elves provide to their human allies/servants. These are typically used as assault troops, with groups of three being dispatched against high-value targets. Riders are chosen on the basis of their loyalty/affinity to elves. Elves oversee the attunement process which allows them to be highly selective of which riders are allowed to merge with the golems.

Riders must be attuned to the golem. Attunement takes 1d6 hours and is very painful for both the rider and the golem, which must be restrained during the process. The rider must make a DC15 Constitution check each hour to avoid passing out and being rejected and ejected by the Ka'ans Mooth. Once attuned the golem and the rider cannot be separated, they have become a single creature. If somehow separated (wish, act of the gods, etc...) the rider must make a DC25 Charisma check to avoid going violently insane. The Ka'ans Mooth doesn't get a saving throw, it goes insane and attacks anything (including elves) within reach until it is destroyed. A Ka'ans Mooth cannot be operated by a rider who is not attuned.

When riding a golem the pair merge all characteristics except Charisma. Add the stat modifiers together to get the appropriate stat for the golem-rider pairing. E.G. A rider with a 10 dexterity adds her modifier (+0) to the golem's modifier (-1) to produce a merged modifier of (-1).

The Ka'ans Mooth are not very intelligent but they are highly aggressive. Without a rider they will actively seek out and attack anything non-elvish until they are bored and go to sleep. They eat a minimum of 10lbs of alloy ingots per day. These ingots can only be manufactured by the elvish manufacturing centers. For each additional 2lbs of alloy ingot they eat per day they can recover 1d4 HP. The human component of the golem pair must also be nourished.

Zhorn
2019-09-26, 09:36 PM
Fore the rider; fire immunity I'd say to either demote to resistance or cut out altogether. Mechanisms don't usually handle changes in temperature well, and being in a big hot metal can is not exactly a pleasant experience even at survivably hot temperatures.

Iron golems seem like a decent base to start with for the monster stats, but for a ridable vehicle, I'd suggest using the Apparatus of Kwalish as a base also/instead especially considering it is imparting such strengths to a player character to use.

jjordan
2019-09-26, 10:48 PM
Fore the rider; fire immunity I'd say to either demote to resistance or cut out altogether. Mechanisms don't usually handle changes in temperature well, and being in a big hot metal can is not exactly a pleasant experience even at survivably hot temperatures.

Iron golems seem like a decent base to start with for the monster stats, but for a ridable vehicle, I'd suggest using the Apparatus of Kwalish as a base also/instead especially considering it is imparting such strengths to a player character to use. I meant to make fire a resistance for the rider (along with bludgeoning damage). I'll make that correction. The Apparatus is a magical machine you operate. An Eisenkrieger is more of a creature the rider merges with and guides/commands. I'm going to add language about the risks of the rider forgetting their own identity, losing themselves in the merged identity, and even dying of starvation because they refuse to leave the golem.

ETA: Added the language. Made the changes. Also got rid of the +13 to hit for the golem attacks. I thought about leaving it for the golem alone, but that didn't make sense and I want these golems to be fairly ineffectual when not ridden by a pilot.

Old Harry MTX
2019-09-29, 03:29 PM
Interesting, but I have a couple of questions:
How is the "Golemecha" considered? A worn item? A mount? A sort of metamorphosis like Lycanthropy? Can a rider use the features of his base class from inside the "Golemecha", like spells, maneuvers or other features?

It would be interesting to create a real Rider class, which unlocks various features to use with the golem, perhaps with just 5 or 10 levels just to have multiclass material.

jjordan
2019-09-29, 09:04 PM
Interesting, but I have a couple of questions:
How is the "Golemecha" considered? A worn item? A mount? A sort of metamorphosis like Lycanthropy? Can a rider use the features of his base class from inside the "Golemecha", like spells, maneuvers or other features?

It would be interesting to create a real Rider class, which unlocks various features to use with the golem, perhaps with just 5 or 10 levels just to have multiclass material.
Good questions. I'm glad I haven't played these yet, thus far they've been background color.

In my setting this is a sort of metamorphosis that creates a new creature for the duration of the merge.

I think I'm going to allow the gold golems to use all the features of the base class and species. I'm going to let the iron golems use physical features of the base species and class. I'm not going to let the bronze golems use any of the features of the rider's class or species. Because the elves would make sure they have access to all their abilities and have the skills to make it happen. They wouldn't want their servants/allies to have access to all their abilities. The makers of the iron golems would want to have access to all their abilities but don't have the skills to make that happen.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-30, 09:20 AM
Now THAT'S cool!

Old Harry MTX
2019-09-30, 11:36 AM
Good questions. I'm glad I haven't played these yet, thus far they've been background color.

In my setting this is a sort of metamorphosis that creates a new creature for the duration of the merge.

I think I'm going to allow the gold golems to use all the features of the base class and species. I'm going to let the iron golems use physical features of the base species and class. I'm not going to let the bronze golems use any of the features of the rider's class or species. Because the elves would make sure they have access to all their abilities and have the skills to make it happen. They wouldn't want their servants/allies to have access to all their abilities. The makers of the iron golems would want to have access to all their abilities but don't have the skills to make that happen.

Ok but, to be clear, do your players have to use or fight these golems?? ^^

jjordan
2019-09-30, 11:54 AM
Ok but, to be clear, do your players have to use or fight these golems?? ^^ Fight maybe. Use? Almost certainly not. I'd say never but that would put limitations on the players. Maybe they come up with a way to get one of these and make use of it. Sounds like a three session adventure to me. :)