PDA

View Full Version : Unique Familiar concept

KingBearKing
2019-10-01, 12:54 AM
So I assume homebrew is the best place to put this. I had an idea i think would be fun, but I'm not sure how to balance it as the applications could be considered overpowered.

So essentially I wish to play a changeling wizard prestiging on master of masks, and to compete his master of disguise persona I wish to give him a very unique familiar.

I want him to have a mimic as his familiar. Not a fully fledged giant monster mind you, this is where the homebrew comes in. I want a tiny variant, a mimic that transforms into household objects and the like. Basically any small object that can be manifested with prestidigitation.

I want to have a distinctly discworld feeling for them. Rincewind and the Luggage running about getting into scrapes.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best implement this idea? Would a monster, even a greatly nerfed monster, still be considered over powered filling the familiar slot? I can just see so many fun antics unfolding.

noob
2019-10-01, 01:43 AM
So I assume homebrew is the best place to put this. I had an idea i think would be fun, but I'm not sure how to balance it as the applications could be considered overpowered.

So essentially I wish to play a changeling wizard prestiging on master of masks, and to compete his master of disguise persona I wish to give him a very unique familiar.

I want him to have a mimic as his familiar. Not a fully fledged giant monster mind you, this is where the homebrew comes in. I want a tiny variant, a mimic that transforms into household objects and the like. Basically any small object that can be manifested with prestidigitation.

I want to have a distinctly discworld feeling for them. Rincewind and the Luggage running about getting into scrapes.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best implement this idea? Would a monster, even a greatly nerfed monster, still be considered over powered filling the familiar slot? I can just see so many fun antics unfolding.

Like "mimic: 4 hp and can take any inanimate shape that have a volume of 3 cubic foot, soft and can not actually grab or manipulate stuff(at best can weight down something otherwise static)"
Although it seems op at cuteness.

sleepyhead
2019-10-01, 08:33 AM
Tiny Mimic

Tiny monstrosity, NN
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 4 (1d4)
Speed 30 ft.
13 STR
12 DEX
12 CON
8 INT
12 WIS
8 CHA

Senses passive Perception 11
Skills Stealth +5
Damage Immunities acid
Condition Immunities prone
Challenge 0 (10 XP)

Shapechanger. The mimic can use its action to polymorph into an object or back into its true, amorphous form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies

False Appearance (Object Form Only). While the mimic remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary object.

Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) bludgeoning damage.

Might make a more interesting warlock familiar IMO. Do you think these mimics could turn into objects? like keys and crowbars?

JNAProductions
2019-10-01, 11:29 AM
Good Monster

But wrong edition. Pretty sure the OP wants 3.5, since they're talking 3.5 classes and prestige classes.

sleepyhead
2019-10-01, 12:40 PM
But wrong edition. Pretty sure the OP wants 3.5, since they're talking 3.5 classes and prestige classes.

Oh whoops, thanks anyways. Just gotta learn 3.5 and convert it to that. Easy right?

KingBearKing
2019-10-01, 10:10 PM
Pretty sure the OP wants 3.5, since they're talking 3.5 classes and prestige classes.

Yeah sorry I forgot to specify. I'm mostly familiar with 3.5 so that's what o generally go with.

These are fun though, and it definitely seems doable. Id assume the best familiar feat for him that makes the most thematic sense would be a boost to disguise checks. I don't remember what familiar does that normally.

Maat Mons
2019-10-02, 01:02 AM
For 3.5, the closest starting point is the Morphic Familiar ACF from Races of Eberron. But that lets your familiar take the form of other creatures you could have chosen as a familiar. It doesn't let your familiar take the form of objects.