PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Icewind Dale



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

mshady
2007-10-16, 01:46 AM
Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale Group

Soulhammer Halls Group

Katasi – Amur Faer Wed – Gnomish Abjurer
Yuki Akuma – Raltise Calmblade – Human Psychic Warrior 2/Soul Knife 3
Tharar Greenleaf – Kelith Firestorm – Favored Soul of Kossuth
BChilders – Magnum Rurik – Cleric of Clangeddin
Paper Bard – Duergan Whurkin – Dwarven Fighter
Butch – Hjalmar – Dwarven Paladin
Diamurd – Bunduk Steelsmith – Dwarven Fighter/Ranger
SyennaMage– Arman Madero – Mage


Hundlestone is a small town astride the Northern Means; the only route through the Spine of the World to Icewind Dale making it a strategic location. Sitting inside a rocky valley and flanked by the imposing Spine on the east and west, it is surrounded by two stone walls. The town is home to about 1200 persons, mainly dwarves and gnomes, but some humans as well. Some travelers and passing merchant caravans pass through on their way north. During the warmer months, it is a bountiful valley full of game and flowers but those months are at a close and always far too short. Hundlestone is also notable for running some mines working the Spine worked by seasonal miners, many coming from Fireshear and Mirabar to the south and leaving before the snows come. Some of these mines actually go deep enough to connect into the Underdark. This has created a small but constant requirement for mercenaries. It also used to attract adventurers looking for Underdark experience, most of whom are somewhat mad.

The newly established Jilker Patriarchate has arrived in Hundlestone. The dwarves and the Ten Towns have become concerned about the vulnerability of the town with the rise of the Dark Arrow Kingdom of orcs and organized Frost Giant activity. It was also centered in any Luskan designs on the North. If it fell into the wrong hands, any route to the Ten Towns would be severed except through Ironmaster’s often iced in harbor. The Ten Towns, particularly Bryn Shander, depend on the pass to for their own supplies and scrimshaw trade. As winter sets in around Hundlestone, a delegation from the Patriarchate and Bryn Shander has arrived to discuss Hundlestone’s winter defenses and a separate dwarven initiative. The Patriarchate wants to try and find or create an Underdark passage from the north to Hundlestone using its Underdark access for a year-round connection. The trickiest issues of contention are the caravan tariffs levied by Hundlestone on all caravans that pass through the area and tempers have already flared on the issue. The delegation includes a detachment of Forgemark and regular infantry and several loaded wagons. While here, it is the intent of the group to tend to a nearby dwarven shrine as well. Additionally, the last caravan of the season is expected within the week. It is vital to the Ten Towns to get through the winter. Included in the caravan is a dwarven contingent led by a Reclaimer bringing several dozen young dwarven children destined for Sunderhelme and a traditional education hopefully leading them to the priesthood. Several other recruits are to be expected. While the journey has been long, it’s most dangerous ground may lay ahead as it passes through the Spine of the World. The caravan’s already large escort has been supplemented by another Forgemark detachment.

The delegation is lead by Forgesmith Tolrin Jilker, a cousin of Patriarch Hignar Jilker. While an accomplished cleric, he is overly trust and needs to spend more time away from his holy water. The Iron Knight Barus Clinkscales is in charge of the 32 soldiers that accompanied the Forgesmith. The party is part of the delegation. Their task has been broadly defined as assisting Forgesmith Tolrin, keeping the King’s cousin alive and keeping the Ten Towns delegation in line.

Morning has just come and your days are about to begin. While the soldiers stay in a nearby warehouse, the party is staying at a gnomish run inn, the Goblin’s Groin. It’s worn placard outside shows a gnome with his boot on a goblin’s groin holding up a mace.

It seemed like a good idea last night…

Paper_Bard
2007-10-16, 08:12 PM
Duervar sits in the corner, nursing a mug of spirits. Despite being inside, he still wears his heavy black cloak around him. Come to think of it, none of you recall him ever taking it off.
His shield and massive warpick lie next to him, propped up against the wall within. His blue, glowing eyes stare eerily from underneath his cloak, penetrating the veil of darkness the cloak casts on his face. He glares up a the rest of the party. He's always antisocial, even for a dwarf, and none of you have ever enjoyed having him as a party member. Still, his skill with his massive warpick cannot be denied, and he's helped save the paty's butts more than once.
While he is rude to every party member, Duervar is especially foul to Kelith. Being an outspoken athiest, he had always argued with the priest, calling him a fool for beleiving in anything he couldn't touch or taste. When Kelith had tried to use his magical ability as proof of his God's exhistence, Duervar had simply snorted and replied, "Just a different form of magic. Wizards use incantartions, you chant to your supposed god. What proof do you ahve that it's your God that's giving you power. You could be calling on Mephistopholes himself for all you know! Save your healing for somebody who cares. I've got your "Godly Power" in a bottle!"

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-16, 09:07 PM
Kelith

Kelith sits by the tables and orders himself an ale. He is dressed in black, red, and gold cleric vestments with the Symbol of Kossuth on the front and the back of them. Across his chest is a bandoleer of 5 daggers and a blood red spiked chain is slung across his left shoulder. He has short dark brown hair and deep red eyes that seem indifferent to his surroundings. He seems approachable to those who desire company, although the conversation could well turn religious if not subverted.

mshady
2007-10-17, 02:56 AM
An older gnomish woman walks over to the table where everyone is sitting and looks around at the group. Her clothes are old and she looks like she'd rather be asleep. In her hands is a wax tablet and a stylus.

"Oi, ye boys look like a fine bunch of fearsome cutters. In with that bunch of dwarves?" She squints at the group. "Probably, as there be a few with ye! Come to harangue the council about tariffs again? Although, ye don't look the type to be talking to society.."

She sniffles and wipes her nose on her shirt sleeve, than rubs her red eyes.

"So what do ye have an appetite for? I warn ya, I'm outta bacon and eggs and what's left is double the price. Shortages and all, we best be getting ready for the winter." She smile and lets the news sink in.

Leaning forward towards Duervar, she peers at him and says very slowly, as one would talk to a child.

"What... do.... you... want?"

Butch
2007-10-17, 06:23 AM
Hjalmar

Hjalmar sits at the far end of the table, constantly trying to catch a glimpse of the outside. Grub, his dire boar mount, is tied outside and he can sometimes get agressive amongst strangers. Most people know better than to get close to a wild beast three times their size, though.

Otherwise he looks his usual self. Always in his heavy, the warhammer leaned against the wall. He sometimes has to move away one of the three braids that make up his beard in order not to spill ale on them. But what most people focus on, and probably what makes the waitress stay so far away, is his left eye. Or rather the lack thereof. He doesn't evn have an eye patch. When seeing face to face with Hjalmar you'll inevitably stare into his empty eye socket. A sight that catches many people off guard. You can clearly see that this is no man to male small talk to. When asking trivial questions, you are bound to get a cold hard stare for an answer. Hjalmar doesn't talk much.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-17, 07:12 AM
The human Raltise paces back and forth, muttering to himself at length. He's new to the group; he joined entirely so he could eventually travel to Sunderhelme. What little you know of him makes him out as being rather friendly and talkative, and also unnervingly calm when he wants to be. He's a psychic; while not exactly rare, it's certainly uncommon, and always reminds people of Illithids whenever they're reminded of it.

Sitting in the corner is his small elemental companion, Lythe. Like her human, she's also friendly and talkative, although possibly moreso than Ralts (as she calls him). Even though she's sitting in possibly the darkest corner, her faint, almost eerie glow completely fails to disguise her rocky body. Next to the geodite is Raltise's bow, which she's keeping an eye on almost overprotectively.

Paper_Bard
2007-10-17, 02:57 PM
Duervar glares hatefully at the gnomish woman. Then, without any noticable dwarven accent at all, he says coldly, "If you treat all your heroes like children, than they're likely to act like them. I deserve as much respect from the likes of you as any of my companions. Whatever prejudice you may have against me, I would suggest you keep it to yourself, lest you provoke my ire."

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-17, 03:08 PM
"Now now, Mr. Whurdek. If you act like a child, you're liable to be treated like one. Now, what do you think will happen when you threaten the landlady?" As usual, Raltise's voice hints at amusement, as do his eyes. He gives the half-deurgar a grin. "Maybe you should stop pretending to be mute, Mr. Whurdek. I'm sure people would treat you fairly if you opened your mouth once in a while. Without threatening them, I mean."

bchilders
2007-10-17, 04:04 PM
Magnum seems to be enjoying himself as usual when there's ale on hand. At the humans comment Magnum burst into laughter, "I have always enjoyed yer wit, especially when its directed at someone so sour." Magnum grins widely and looks over to Duervar, "Haven't we talked about working on yer ability to make friends."

Inhuman Bot
2007-10-17, 04:08 PM
(ooc er sorry if i did something wrong,Iam new to this)

A cloaked figure nears the town. Drifting silently closer, its impossible to tell his race or affiliation... for now..

Paper_Bard
2007-10-17, 06:46 PM
Duervar scowls deeper, then chuckles a bit. "Sorry mam. Didn't mean anything by my comments. Though you should know I can understand as fully as any of my companions. I am not stupid." He looks back at the human. "How's that for friendship skills you rotten son of a Mind Flayer!"
He takes another sip of his spirits and curls deeper into his isolation, grumbling to himself.

bchilders
2007-10-17, 09:46 PM
At this Magnum roars all the louder, fully enjoying both the banter and the booze.

mshady
2007-10-17, 09:47 PM
The gnomish woman listens to Duervar's response and the bickering of the group with as pinched and severe a face as the cherubic little gnome can muster. She is clearly growing impatient.

"I wasn't talking to you like that because I didn't think you could understand me. I was because you look simple and I don't like your type or why you're here. Or you, or you or you... and whatever that little chattering boulder is." She says, pointing at the group.

"Try being a gnome and get taken seriously! Our town needs the tariffs to survive and we don't appreciate any of ye tight fisted northerners coming down the Means and complaining. Ye think its rough up there? So I couldn't give a rothe's arse that ye look like ye crawled out of a chimney. All we have is gruel and bread. I'm Yvira, by the way. May I take yer order?"

She smiles pleasantly and waits attentively with her stylus. Her smile seems to make her disdain even clearer. In the back, you here another gnome rummaging around and throwing logs into a stove.

Katasi
2007-10-17, 10:13 PM
Arum sits quietly in a corner as the conversation takes place around him, but his ears perk up at the landlady's last statement.

"Madam, he says "I'll have you know that being a gnome is no reason to act disdainfully toward us. Look at me, I am a gnome and yet also a member of this group. And I will have you know that this dwarf, as well as many others is perfectly wonderful company. Now please, behave as a proper owner of an establishment like this and treat us, your customers, well or so help me I'll see to it that you will regret it not doing it." He doesn't know how he'd do that, but he is hoping she doesn't ask.

[roll0]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-17, 11:04 PM
Kelith

Looking quite perturbed at the waitress's disrespect of his group he has grown fond, of Kelith looks up at her before talking. "No Yvira I think i've had enough ignorance and spite tonight to leave no room for bread nor gruel. If you'd be enjoyable enough as to leave us the well alone I believe we would think more highly of you. Right now your stature only metaphors your respect. No disrespect to you Arum; I hold you in highest regard."

Katasi
2007-10-17, 11:12 PM
Arum bows his head slightly. "None taken, I could not have said it better myself."

mshady
2007-10-18, 01:57 AM
Yvira does not look terribly intimidated by Arum and instead fixes her gaze upon him now.

"Now how are ye going to do that?" Yvira shakes her head. "The one in the hood said I should be treat'n my heroes more kindly. I know why you're here. My husband is on the Stone's Council, yes the one in the kitchen trying to start a fire. The Ten Towns have been howling at us for years about the caravan taxes and fees here, but we need it for our survival and that keeps gettin' dodgier each year. Now the dwarves are back and the Ten Townies have brought ye along to lean on us. Showing up with half a hundred soldiers and more coming. A delegation and escort? Council was harshly split on that... So ignorant, I am not."

Her face becomes pinched again.

"That being said, yer still guests. I'll have me daughter bring out some porridge. Only thing we have really, anyways."

She turns and walks back into the kitchen.

mshady
2007-10-18, 02:20 AM
A few minutes after Yvira left, Tolrin Jilker walks up from the stairs from the basement rooms. Few buildings had more than one level in Hundlestone as they preferred to dig down to better heat the establishment.

He is dressed in brown earthsilk clothes, some jewelry and wrapped in an expensive cloak made out of winter wolf fur. The cloak is nearly impervious to a normal chill. He also wears an oversized holy symbol of Moradin on a golden chain. Tolrin wears a short, braided, beard and has his long black hair slicked back and knotted at the back. He has a gentle demeanor and is chronically relaxed and a slightly ashen complexion, yet his eyes betray an agile mind. The cleric looks around the room and rubs his tired eyes. Walking over to the table, he sits and smiles at the group.

"I was rather hoping the food would be here already. I do try to time waking and eating together. Along with some tea. They are bringing tea, yes? I do hope they have some hares as well." He smiles at the thought.

"When we're done breaking our fast together, we need to get our equipment on. Before we go talking to the Council here, we'll be going to visit the tomb of Hundle, Hurler-of-Hammers in the nearby mountains. It'll take the better part of the day and we'll meet the Council this night. If we're lucky, we'll see the Valkyries coming down to meet us, maybe ever the Northstar caravan if its high enough. They say his tomb is guarded by two magicked hammers. Be good to make sure they're still fine. I doubt anyone here would know how to fix the wards." He grumbles slightly.

"Any questions? And how well were ye received this morning? Yvira's husband's on the Council, ye know."

Butch
2007-10-18, 05:29 AM
Hjalmar

Hjalmar still sat quietly, all through the conversation with the land lady. Although he didn't show it, he was enraged. Not because they had been treated bad, for in his opinion they hadn't. Instead he was angry at his "companions". He hated how daft they were. No one who demands to get respect will ever get any; they will only get into arguments. Why couldn't Duervar have been the bigger man for a change and let it slide. Frankly, Hjalmar despised that attitude. He was quite bitter at the thought of having to travel with bullies. Why had he been forced to go here? Wretched church.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-18, 06:44 AM
Raltise brings his hand to his forehead, and sighs. "Why must my travelling companions be a bunch of hot heads and bullies? Can't I have friendly allies for once?" He gives Tolrin Jilker a strained smile as he waits for the porridge.

mshady
2007-10-18, 08:05 AM
Tolrin frowns slightly and looks at Raltise. "What did I miss this time?"

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-18, 10:20 AM
Kelith

"If by bullies you mean those who stand up for their companions when they are completely disrespected, then yes i suppose we do have some bullies here. But it seems she has left us alone so there isn't any point for dwelling on it. So long as respect is given, respect is shown. Although some of my more extreme and hot-tempered faithful would show a more ugly side to such disrespect."

Diarmuid
2007-10-18, 12:12 PM
Bundok Steelsmith

Nothing but incomprhensible, non-committal grunts and "Harumphs!" came from the pile of fur on the bench along the wall during the interchange with the lady of the house.

At Tolrin's comments about heading out, the bundle shuffled and groaned and eventually resolved itself into the ugly, ever sour-faced dwarf, Bundok, self-professed armorsmith turned tunnel-rat, scout, and badass with a stick.

Dark smudges of soot seemed tattooed on the stocky dwarf, and his beard and hair were a constant bird's nest of knots and tangles. Smacking his lips together and rubbing some sleep from his eyes, he began digging through the pack he had stuffed under the bench. An obviously well-kept chain shirt came out of the pack and was slipped over his head to settle on his broad shoulders. A strange, almost harness-like gathering of rope got draped over his shoulders and across his chest forming an X across his torso.

Setting the bag on the floor once again, the pile of furs that had been draped over him got shaken out and pinned around his neck to hang like the cloak it actually was. Grey wolf pelt lined the outside of the cloak, but the inside was a much lighter color and appeared a much softer material.

After stomping his feet further into the thick leather boots he wore, he sat back down on the bench and grabbed the wooden staff he had leaned near his resting spot. It appeared to be a very well-made staff and was carved with runes of the various gods of the dwarven people.

Resting it on his lap, he looked around at his group and showed little interest in much going on in the room while he waited for the signal to move out.

mshady
2007-10-18, 02:34 PM
Tolrin frowns and has a sad, discouraged look on his face.

“I think I can figure out the rest… They are bringing food still though, yes? What about the hares? Did they have any of those?” Tolrin seems equally concerned about the food and the incident.

“I was hoping that staying here would give us a chance to make friends with one of the Council without actually seeking them out. Well… don’t blame yourselves, unless you should. They have a reputation for being a bit prickly here. What did Yvira say, actually?”

Tolrin sighs and leans back in his chair. Fumbling around inside his cloak, he withdraws a fine flask made of mithril and takes a long pull on it. A minute later, a younger gnome girl with blue ribbons in her hair comes and sets down a pot of porridge and several bowls with spoons. She returns a minute later with a pitcher of wine, smiles slightly and leaves.

“Oh dear... No hares…” Tolrin frowns and fills his bowl. "So what did she say?"

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-18, 02:55 PM
Ralts sits down in a chair, grumbling a little at how they never get human proportions right in these places. He fills his bowl, shaking salt over his breakfast before digging in gladly. He hasn't eaten since dinner, after all, and he's starving.

Paper_Bard
2007-10-18, 03:33 PM
Duervar nods approvingly at Tolrin, saying "Morning..." He then looks at the porridge. He seems rather grumpy, even for him, as he looks a the food in consternation. After several seconds, he grunts and sets his empty mug down on the table. He gets up, and without a word, heads to the back of the inn, presumably the kitchen. A scowl is evident on his features, but something else too. Somrthing's obviously bothering him.

He returns several minutes later, with amazingly, a smile of sorts on his features. He sits back down at his seat, and begins to devour the food set before him.

mshady
2007-10-18, 05:32 PM
Several minutes later, the little gnome girl exits the kitchen again wearing oversized mittens. In her hands is a pot of stewed hares with some potatoes floating about in the black cauldron. She says little more than courtesies and exits as anonymously as she came.

Obviously happy, Tolrin is the first to fill his bowl full of the hot stew. His mood improved, he declares "I knew they had some! At least the trip is not a total loss."

Catching Lythe's glittering eyes, Tolrin smiles and reaches into a small bag. He tosses some bits of gravelled quartz over its way for it to enjoy and returns to his stew.

"When yer done here, get on yer tack and meet me back down here. Oh yes... does someone want to inform Clinkscales of our plans? It'll just be us going up to Hundle's tomb." Tolrin smiles and waits for an answer before returning to the stew. "Help yourselves to some stew as well before ye go!"

Paper_Bard
2007-10-18, 06:03 PM
Duervar sniffs the air as the stew comes forward. Upon Tolrin's offer, Duervar makes his way quickly to the stew and gets himself a bowl. "I'll take the stew sir, but I'll pass on the informing Clinkscales. I'm no messenger boy, with all due respect."
He brings the steaming hot food back to his table and begins to eat. After several seconds, he notices his hood has fallen back over his shoulders. He grunts once and brings the cowl back over his head. Before he can do this, however, everyone manages to see his scarred, dark-skinned face. The msot disturbing thing about him, though, is lack of beard. The only facial hair he posseses is a little tuff of black hair sticking out of the base of his chin.

bchilders
2007-10-18, 08:06 PM
Even though already half through with the gruel in front of him, Magnum doesn't hesitate on the offer of stew. "Now this here's a mighty improvement," Magnum says still with a wide grin.

He looks over to Duervar and not for the first time feels pity for him that he is not comfortable with the way he looks. He wished that some way he could tell him it didn't matter but serious conversation was never his forte.

mshady
2007-10-18, 08:39 PM
"So, who's seeing Clinkscales? Not Duervar, I guess. He don't bite. Clinkscales, I mean." Tolrin chuckles. "Bundok, why don't ye go? Only take a moment."

Katasi
2007-10-19, 07:24 AM
Arum tries some of the soup and finds it immediatly to his liking, smiling softly as he takes another spoonful. "This really is very good." he says.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-19, 07:35 AM
Raltise looks around the table, then sighs slightly. "I'll go, then." She stands, pushing his bowl away from him as he does, and puts on his cloak. "Come on, Lythe..." And with that, he's off to find Clinkscales.

Diarmuid
2007-10-19, 08:52 AM
Bundok

Edit - Putting my post into a spoiler, must have taken too long writing it and the other posts got in before me. Just ignore it for now, I guess


Bundok waited a few seconds to see if anyone else was going to volunteer, even though he knew no one else would. Grumbling under his breath a bit, he unceremoniously hopped off his bench and pulled the cowl of his fur cloak up over his head. With a weak salute of a fist against his chest he ambled out the door, in no particular hurry, but nonetheless in the direction that would take him to see Clinkscales.

He made little effort of greetings to anyone he passed along the way, offering salutes only when it was required of him, more than happy to just be left alone once again wishing he was back home in front of his forge and anvil. Times of recollection like this he usually found himself patting the armor on his chest and remembering the loving care with which he had crafted it.

Shaking himself away from his rememberences, he found himself standing front of his destination. Unravelling a meaty fist from within the confines of his warm cloak, he pounded on the door a couple of times.

leaving it there in case you plan on there being more happening here.

mshady
2007-10-19, 03:41 PM
It takes almost a minute before someone responds to the knocking on the door. Outside, ye can see several horses and a few ponies tied up on hitching posts along the side of the warehouse. A dwarf stands guard with axe and shield while a dwarven child is carrying buckets of water to their troughs. Bundok does not notice that Raltise and Lythe have following them out of the Goblin's Groin. One of the forgemark legionnaires opens the door with a creak as the ice pops off hinges with a crackling noise.

The dwarf is wrapped in furs of his own and has a short, yellowish beard with a long scar on his face and bleary eyes. Underneath the furs, Bundok can see his finely crafted mithril banded mail. Considering the dwarven preference for plate armor, most would find it any lighter armor an unusual choice for them. However, the Forgemark is expected to travel long distances and rely on mobility in battle. Doing so in plate armor can be both impractical and tiring. The dwarf also wears an axe on one hip and a short sword on the other.

"Ye see to see High Iron Clinkscales? Course ye are, the one with all the furs and the stick... that one behind with ya too?" He blinks his eyes to adjust to the morning light. "Aye, I recognize that one too... well, come on down..."

He turns and walks back down the stairs into the basement of the warehouse. While the first floor holds all manner of stores, the below ground basement holds the group, using the earth to protect them from the biting winds and cold. Given its likeness to a cave, the accomodations are quite comfortable by dwarven standards. Bedrolls are spread out along the floor and many dwarves are standing in a line as a cook prepares their food. An open barrel of ale sits next to the stove and they fill their mugs with it before returning to their bed rolls.

At the very end of the line stands the High Iron Knight Clinkscales towers over most of the other dwarves. He looks strong and has a hard, angular face partially hidden behind a medium length black and grey beard tied into three braids held by ornate clasps and is waiting silently, a pipe in his mouth. As the legionnaire approaches with Bundok, Raltise and Lythe in tow, he turns to greet the soldier and the new comers.

Giving a salute, the legionnaire says "Some of Tolrin's folks here to see ye, sir."

Clinkscales nods and pulls at his beard, frowning ever so slightly towards Bundok and wrinkling his nose.

"Little early for company, eh? What can I do for ye this morn?"

mshady
2007-10-19, 10:30 PM
Meanwhile back at the Goblin's Groin....

Tolrin and the rest of the remaining party finish their morning food. Yvira comes by a few minutes later and informs Tolrin of the tab and gives her some coins. He looks like he wants to ask her something, but says nothing and the gnome walks away, giving the party a sideways glance.

Standing up and patting his belly, Tolrin smiles.

"I'm goin' to get into my gear and then we're goin' to see the tomb of Hundle. I suggest ye do the same, and don't forget yer furs. It's a long climb on broken trails." Without waiting for a response, Tolrin heads back up to his room. Within ten minutes, he has returned. He is wearing black and gold plate armor with a red tabbard bearing the holy symbol of Moradin below the personal crest of the Mountain House, the head of a mountain lion. On his head sits a bejeweled open faced helm with a horse hair crest. His winter wolf cloak flows around him. Tolrin also bears a hammer, a shield and a stave on his back, among other accessories.

Sitting back down again at his chair with a clank, he light his pipe and glances at the door.

"Ready whenever ye folks are and the others return."

Katasi
2007-10-20, 09:53 AM
After finishing eating Arum seeks out Yvira to apologize for his rudeness earlier. "Madam, I am sorry I yelled earlier, but you insulted my frined who I hold in high regard. And you where treating us all rather badly."

After saying his peace Arum gets ready and is ready when Tolrin comes out.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-20, 04:19 PM
Kelith

After finishing his ale Kelith stands from his set and gathers his gear.

"Considering the chill outside i'll be returning with something it take away it's bite." With that he leaves out the door and returns a few minutes later looking the exact same as before.

edit: "Well it seems the worms aren't out yet, so I'll just have to make due with my furs. I'm ready whenever everyone else is."

{{ I'm going to buy 4 scrolls of endure elements, if there isn't a place that sells them i'll edit my post accordingly with a response.}}

bchilders
2007-10-21, 11:30 AM
Magnum also finishes his meal and goes to his room to find his winter clothes. He appears again with cover in thick furs and says, "Nothing like visiting a tomb to get ye goin in the mornin."

Diarmuid
2007-10-22, 10:04 AM
Bunduk

Bunduk shifts from foot to foot while waiting for his knocks to be answered. He found that constant motion helped stave off the cold.

He nodded and grunted out an "Aye." at the dwarf's first question. He quirked an eyebrow at the second question and turned to notice his entourage for the first time. A shrug and a patented non-committal grunt and he was following through the warehouse.

Pulling his cowl down he scratches at a spot behind his ear as they approach the High Iron. Returning the salute, he leaned on his staff and his gravelly voice responds,

"M'Lord, Forgesmith Tolrin means ta' take 'is band o' men ta' tha tomb o' tha Hurler o' Hammers. E' doesn'a plan ta be at it all day and aims ta' keep 'is meetin wit da council fer later tonight. E' thought you should know."

Not really sure what else he should do, Bunduk waited for some kind of response/reaction from Clinkscales.

mshady
2007-10-22, 11:03 AM
Clinkscales rubs his eyes tiredly and you suspect this dwarf has not been getting much sleep lately. Thinking for a moment and shifting forward as the line moves, he seems a bit surprised but simply nods.

"Didn't know he intended on goin' there. I'd feel more comfortable send'n some of my boys along with him. He is goin' up into the Spine, afterall. I hear that ain't always the safest trek. What's he up to anyways?" Clinkscales asks, more rhetorically.

"Well... Tolrin can take care o'himself, rest of ye shoulds be able to take care of him. If he's not back before the meet'n though, we'll come looking. Have a good hike." Turning back to the chow line, Clinkscales returns to his waiting and ends the conversation.

"Come on folks." The dwarf you met at the door. He ushers ye back to the door gruffly.

Presumbably, you two return directly to the Goblin's Groin and prepare for the journey, moving out with the rest.

Diarmuid
2007-10-22, 02:52 PM
Bundok

With a hearty salute, Bundok turns on his heel and follows their escort out. He doesnt waste any breath on smalltalk with his escorts as they make their way back to the Groin.

Pushing into the inn, he tries to stamp the cold out of his boots as he calls over to Tolrin from nearer the fire,

"Clinkscales says e'd prefer if'n ye took some o' 'is boys widja, but e' knows ye can keep yer skin on yer bones mostly. But if'n we aint back a'fore the meetin'...e'll come lookin' fer us."

Laying his staff on the ground beside him, he squats before the fire and waits for the others to finish their meals and get ready to leave. His mind echoes the thoughts his mouth wouldnt vocalize in front of Tolrin,

"I canna believe we're takin that gnome with us...and the human. They'd better nae do anythin' ta defile our tombs. Tolrin should know better'n ta bring those types ta our sacred places."

mshady
2007-10-22, 03:43 PM
Tolrin nods in response.

"I bet that's what he said!" He chuckles. "All the better to go as we are. More folks'll just slow us down."

Looking around, Tolrin smiles and nods.

"So... I think we best be off."

With that, the group gathers and departs the tavern for the mountains....

Butch
2007-10-22, 06:02 PM
Hjalmar

It's about time, he thinks. He takes a position quite far back in the order, but keeps a remarkable pace despite his heavy armor.

Diarmuid
2007-10-23, 11:20 AM
Bundok

The unkempt dwarf sets out and takes up a point position on the way to the mountains. Occasionally he stops to check the trail, looking for recent traffic or to check a stool pile, making sure that there hasnt been any unwanteds through the area recently.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-23, 03:02 PM
Kelith

Kelith pulls his furs from his pack as they leave the inn and readies himself for the journey to come. During the trek he positions himself near the middle of the group with his red spiked chain still slung over his shoulder for easy access.

{{I'd like to go ahead and cast a vote for speeding up to when we get to the tomb on account of not many people seemingly wanting to post.

Katasi
2007-10-23, 06:21 PM
Arum stay to the back of the group, just following along.

bchilders
2007-10-23, 10:17 PM
Magnum stays around the middle humming loudly and occasionally throwing in words here and there. You can tell he is fairly unsuccessfully trying to make up a song about traveling to a tomb in the morning.

mshady
2007-10-23, 11:45 PM
The party exits Hundlestone by its eastern gates. The guards at the gate house let you exit with a minimum of conversation. They are not rude, but they are certainly not friendly and you doubt their enthusiasm for letting the party back into Hundlestone. A light, chill, wind is blowing causing an occasional flurry of snow. While it is morning, it is still relatively dark out here. This far north to the north there are far fewer hours of daylight. Later in the season there is hardly any daylight if it comes at all. The best this day will offer for several more hours is a meager attempt at dawn.

Following a road to the mines along the eastern face of the Spine of the World, the party marches in single file, with the exception of Bunduk the dwarven ranger. He ranges significantly ahead of the group as a scout, looking for any signs of danger. To the rest of the group, the squat dwarf in furs looks like a bipedal grizzly bear from a distance, but all appears to be quiet. The path to the mines is sloppy and filled with ruts from passing wagons, with half frozen dirt crumbling at every step and testing ankles at every step. The increasingly sharp climb only makes matters worse and the more precarious sections at least have some form of crude fencing. Along the way the group notices at least two wagons that plunged off the path and down the side of the mountain. It is unlikely anyone survived the fall. No wagons pass during the early morning hours, although it no doubt sees regular use. After walking for three hours, the party reaches the mining tunnels and stops for a rest to the side of the entrance and starts a fire. As they are preparing the fire, one of the human guards saunters over to the group from the entrance to the mining complex. He wears an expression of a man beyond boredom with a rough looking face covered in chainmail, boiled leather and furs. His question is predictable.

“So uh… what brings ye to the Mines of the Spines but… not to them, as yer resting? Headed somewhere else? If so ye need to state yer business…” The guard says, scratching his scraggly beard.
Rising from the fire, Tolrin walks over to the guard and pulls him aside, speaking quietly to the man and gesturing up the trail and occasionally back at the group. The guard is soon joined by another guard and the conversation takes a heated turn. Finally, Tolrin pulls out his holy symbol, the mountain lion symbol with the glittering green eyes. Tolrin points to it and gestures down the trail winding parallel to mountain slope. Both guards look at it and he speaks to them once again in calm, even tones. The guards nod, shake his hand and walk back to their post and Tolrin trots back over smiling.

“Well, that went well! I reckon we ought to keep moving before them lads change their minds and give me another hassle. All that just for want of a few coin…” Tolrin chuckles and adjusts his cloak once again, tests his footing with his staff and kicks some dirt on to the pathetic little fire.

“Off we go again…. Really must get there and back before we meet with the Stone Council. Don’t worry folks, we be almost here. Mind yer step and Bunduk, keep yer eyes ready. Folks don’t come up much this way, and tis for a reason these days. Some talk of a mad priest of winter in these parts. Spine o’the World though, course there is that and more. Folk have to swallow a fair share of paranoia to live up here.”

The path to the tomb of Hundle, Hurler-of-Hammers looms in front of the party. Is a winding path that barely merits the term “trail.” Along this part of the trail, the mountain seems to have a far more gentle grade and further down one could as much walk on the trail or up the side of the mountain with only some difficulty. The gentle slopes are covered with snow and even the stumps of small, scrawny trees may be seen. It is still dark, although it is approaching afternoon by now.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-24, 05:13 AM
Ralts is not dead. Neither is his player. He just oculdn't think of anything to post until now.

On the way up the mountain, Ralts just follows along, chattering animatedly with his rocky companion (who, of course, chatters even more in return). He seems to be treating this little excursion simply as a hike into the mountains, and not at all as seriously as he really should. Doesn't he know how honoured he should feel to be allowed inside a dwarven tomb?

Sitting around the fire, Raltise's eyes fall on the guard, and then narrow slightly as the second approaches. His eyes take on a faint, greenish glow, the same colour dancing around his fingertips for a moment, before Tolrin returns to the group. He then grins, and follows once again, now talking about the scenery with Lythe. He does love this mountain air, after all.

Paper_Bard
2007-10-24, 04:17 PM
OOC: Sorry folks! I didn't notice the second page!

IC: Duervar follows wordlessly, seeming content in his thick cloak. At Tolrin's complaint about the guards, however, the half-breed speaks up. "Most dwarves suffer from avarice. It is a disease that infects the goodly folk as much as the evil."

mshady
2007-10-24, 11:52 PM
OOC: Hey everyone. With the large group here, please post in this thread even if you cannot think of what to say or there is nothing to say. That lets me know you're acknowledging the post and are ready for me to move the thread forward. So every time I post something, try to post something yourselves. I don't want to cut anyone off.

As a general rule for combat to keep things flowing, if there is no post within 2 days of the post I may make the move for you to keep things going. Any move I make will be a conservative option, of course.

MShady

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-25, 10:42 AM
Kelith

For now Kelith continues his trek, paying attention to his comrades and the lay of the land around him. Unless a topic of interest is brought up he keeps silent and just treks along in the middle of the group.

bchilders
2007-10-25, 12:34 PM
After Tolrin mentions the idea of a mad priest you can hear snippets of Magnum trying to include that into his tune but he is content to walk along and fail miserably at song writing.

Diarmuid
2007-10-25, 02:57 PM
Bundok

The scout nods at Tolrin's comments and slows the pace a bit to account for the possibly tricky terrain. As usual, he is as often out of sight as he is within sight, though he checks in at regular intervals and/or leaves trail signs directing the party and warning of dangerous footfalls.

[roll0]

When the tomb looms within sight, he halts a good few hundred feet from it and waits for Tolrin and the rest to catch up (assuming we make it that far).

mshady
2007-10-25, 11:52 PM
As Bundok is scouting ahead of the party, he stops to leave a trail sign marking an area where the side of the trail looks like it might crumble and cause someone to slip and possibly fall off the ledge. Looking ahead, the trail continues to wrap around the side of this particular mountain in the Spine. Finally Bundok is able to catch a glimpse of a non-descript cave just around the bend.

Between Bundok and the cave is a dip between two mountains that flattens out and is at least passable. As he is looking towards the valley and examining the flow of the land and snow covering for activity, something seems out of sorts to him.

Two hundred feet in front of Bunduk, he notices two unusual lumps in the snow. There is freshly packed snow around them, like something had burrowed into the hard packed snow. There is no way to tell how big whatever dug them is, but it looks like something tried to cleverly camouflage the activity. They look like they have been there for awhile as the wind has blown away any sign of prints that Bundok can see from this distance. Bundok is too far away for his infravision to see any heat to tell if the place is still occupied. (Spot roll of 21). The ridges at least look undisturbed, but it is disturbed.

The rest of the party is several hundred feet behind Bundok, marching along to the sound of an occasional bad song and idle chatter.

Diarmuid
2007-10-26, 11:56 AM
Bundok

What race are Kelith and Arman?

Thinking to signal his companions, the dwarven ranger starts to reach for his pack with thoughts of digging out his mirror...but then he realises that the lack of light will make that somewhat difficult. Silently cursing the near-endless darkness, he leaves himself a marker and begins heading back towards the others.

When he reaches them he addresses Tolrin,

"Oy Cap'n, der's somethin' 'idin' in da snow off tha road a few 'unnerd feet up. Almost missed it meself. Whate'er it is, it done a good job gettin into da snow. I dinnae think we kin pass it an nay get it's attention, so we might'n wanna ambush tha' ambush. I kin 'ide pretty good, and the tall one sneaks OK, but 'e prolly cannae see much with the sky like it is. Mayhaps one o' da finger wagglers's got a trick up der sleeves. Some kinda...I dinnae, illusion or sumin' to make em thinks we're walking into der trap...and then we jump em when they come outta 'idin'."

He describes the area around the two strange snow lumps and the trail leading up that point as best he can so a plan can be formulated.

bchilders
2007-10-26, 02:15 PM
Magnum cuts of his singing and listens intently for Tolrins response. He is already anxious and excited that there might be some action on this trip.

Paper_Bard
2007-10-26, 04:16 PM
Duervar nods towards the dwarven ranger. He then waits for Tolrin to answer before he inputs any ideas.

mshady
2007-10-26, 06:00 PM
Tolrin listens to Bundok's news intently and stands quietly, mulling over the news. Taking a wand off belt, he turns it on its end and squats down. The squeal from his armor gives an irrating whine. Staring at the snow for the moment, he closes his eyes for a moment. Opening his eyes, Tolrin begins a simplistic drawing of the trail and landscape in the snow. He marks the general location of what Bondok sited with lumps of frozen dirt and stands up to regard the snow diagram while pulling at his beard in thought.

"This 'ould be easier to figure out if I knew what 'as there." Tolrin looks at the diagram pensively. "The way its sited, prolly is an ambush, agreed? If 't was orcs or goblins, there'd be alot more. I'd nay credit them with the craftiness to hide in open ground like that 'nd do it well. Hobgoblins could, much smarter, but again numbers. Where be the rest of'em, hmm? Also be the fact Bundok seen not any prints 'nd that is deep snow 'ndeed. Means they been there awhile. Or gone awhile. That means, if they still be there, tis been a couple days at least and nay moved. I nay care how many furs ye wear, that's too cold so..." Tolrin taps the two lumps with his wand, one than than the other and back.

"...so that means cold nay bother them. Could be a remoraz, but they move 'round alot. Winter wolves maybe, but the packs are larger. They do bury themselves 'n the snow and ye may not notice there tracks, so it could be more recent. So... could be ice trolls, maybe gnolls, frost giants or a mated pair o'young white dragons." Finish his thought, Tolrin chuckles to himself.

"Tis a good thing regardless. The Stone Council comes up 'ere once a year to pay respects at Hundle's tomb, so by us bein' here we get to spring the ambush before the Council does. Us being composed of dwarves, humans and a gnome means we look just like what whomever up there 'ay be expecting. Which means 'his could look good to the Council if we live, which largely be the point of us being here. Whomever 'r whatever they be, I'd be surprised if they're acting alone here at that place at that time. A good surprise, 'hey could push someone 'ight off the cliff. No real way around'em either. So.... what do ye folks think 'bout what to do?" Tolrin smiles and looks at the group.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-26, 09:09 PM
Kelith, Human

Un-slinging the spiked chain from his shoulder Kelith starts twirling it in unconscious patterns.

"Well, unless someone needs to get prepared for the battle I'd just as well say we move up and let the archers take some shots at the mounds and see what happens. Anything pops out and tries to attack us my chain should take care of.

With that, Kelith will move to the front of the group taking (or sharing be it) the front position.

When the group decides on an action he will mutter a chant and raise his hand into the air. As he drops it to the ground the hand glows red and you faintly see a transparent blue-flame, shaped as a breastplate, form around his body.

Spells Cast
1st-1 of 7

{{OOC: Just for reference, I have 10ft reach and combat reflexes. I'll also be casting shield of faith on myself once we decide what we want to do and start moving out}}

ArmanMadero
2007-10-27, 12:57 AM
Arman walked with the rest of the group up the mountain side. He didn't know many in the group itself, just Tolrin. Hs only reason for knowing him, was the fact that he was hired by him in the Goblin's Groin just before the group set out.

He felt odd among the group of dwarves, humans and gnome. This was probably the reason for his silence. He liked to watch and learn more about the people he was with, before he said much.

So far he felt pretty good about the group, and followed along as they went up the mountain side to the tomb.

Everyone was stopped now, listening to Bundok give his report and then to Tolrin as he started going through scenarios of what the strange two lumps may be. For his own preperation, he went through his known spells and decided that what he had memorized would be enough. He had left his horse in town, knowing they would be back later that evening, and wondered now if he should have brought him. ( so yeah, if we are not going back to town, mshady, the horse is with me :) ) No. No sense in dragging his horse uphill and down to visit a tomb.

He watched as everyone prepared for a fight, and wondered what the two lumps were himself. Whatever they were, it was going to be interesting.

( more to come after i have some sleep :) )

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-27, 05:32 AM
"You want me to take pot shots at some mounds of snow? ... Eh, sure, why not?" He can't help but grin slightly, reaching for his bow. He sighs audibly, closing his eyes. There's a brief pale blue flash from behind his eyelides, and he opens them again. His face has taken on that veil of unnerving calm; his eyes are glowing a faint blue, as well. He then looks down at Lythe, placing one hand on her head, and concentrates a second time. Nothing seems to happen, except for the air seeming to distort in front of the two for a moment.

Concentration check to gain psionic focus: [roll0]
Edit: Oh, come on, I rolled a one? *sigh* I'm just gonna take 10. There. 20. Moving on...
Also manifesting force screen (sharing it with Lythe using the Share Powers ability) to boost both our ACs by +4, immediately before we move out.

Paper_Bard
2007-10-27, 03:29 PM
Duervar grins. "Let's mine some snow!"

Katasi
2007-10-27, 06:08 PM
Arum watches silently as the others talk about battle. He goes over his spells in his head, deciding what might come in handy in the coming fight.

bchilders
2007-10-27, 06:25 PM
Magnum gets out his waraxe and starts casting a spell in preparation.

Casting bulls strength on myself

mshady
2007-10-28, 01:14 AM
Tolrin listens to what the group has to say and scratches his beard in thought. He unslings his magnificent shield off his back and reaches for his warhammer, taking a testing swing with it and smiling slightly.

"So I guess ye lads wanna take the direct route, eh? I 'hink the position up on the slope 'ays they must be someone who 'ants to shoot down on whomever goes down the trail. Nay just attack'em. Or at least charge'em from up high, height advantage ald all. Rather 'han just goin' at them like a bunch of pebbles goin' down a hill... lets be a bit more thought about this, eh?" He clucks in disapproval.

"Now... if we just walk by and see if we get attack, we do give'em all o'there position advantage. Not so good. We only see two suspicious places. Lets form like this... Hjalmar and Kelith, ye go up towards the left mound. Duervar and Magnum, ye go to the right one. Arum ye use your magics to support Hjalmar but keep yer distance. I'll stand towards the center and cover whomever needs it. If its big 'nd nasty, yer jobs are to keep'em away from the mages and let'em bring them down."

Tolrin draws out the formation in the snow with his finger.

"Bundok, I want ye to sneak along our side of the valley as we move forward. Watch the flank 'nd get to a position where ye can plink away with yer crossbow. If there's somethin' else with them, I need ye to stay hidden till it shows itself. When they poke yer nose up, I want ye to put some quarrels into'em to keep'em away from the main fight. If need be, I'll take Arman's place and he'll aid yer fight. Of course if what we see is all there be, fight as ye see fit with yer.. stick."

Tolrin smiles at the thought of a dwarf fighting with a stave, not smug, just amused.

"If we're ready, lets give Bundok a little head start and be about it. May Moradin protect us and guide our hands in battle, praise be to the Soul Forger!" With that exaltation, Tolrin begins preparing as well.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-28, 06:53 AM
Raltise looks down at the small diagram. "...Uh, Tolrin? You forgot me and Lythe. Should we just... do whatever?"

Diarmuid
2007-10-28, 10:50 AM
Bundok

Unsure as to whether this is the best approach or not, Bundok merely nods to Tolrin. The ranger takes his pack off and pulls a few things from within and stashes them in his belt pouches. He removes his cloak and reverses it so the lighter, softer side is facing outwards, in hopes it will help him blend in with the snow. Unhooking his crossbow from his backpack he pulls a quarrel from the bolt case strapped to that same pack, pulls back the wire and slides the bolt into place. He attaches the crossbow to a loop on his belt, and secures his pack again, tightening all his straps to lessen any noise it might make.

"Jus a thought sir, but 'nother thing 'at could 'ide in snow fer a long time not worryin bout the cold would be undead. We are 'eading fer a tomb...might'n be somethin got cranky and went outside fer a breath o' fresh air. I left a sign on tha' trail where the lumps should be visible, so's least ye'll all know where they be and where tha' fighting might be comin from."

Leaving that foreboding thought hanging in the air, Bundok begins picking his way to the vantage point Torlin mentioned.



[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

mshady
2007-10-28, 02:00 PM
Tolrin acknowledges Bundok with a nod.

"Undead? Aye, thats possible. They sure have the patience and ain't adverse to the cold. Still...tis a dwarven tomb and undead are rare out of'em. Ain't but a few in this one and its well warded and sanctified every year. Doesn't rule out undead from elsewhere though. The curiosity is kill'n me. For all we know, could be some kind o'arctic woodchuck den. Anyways, get into position and we'll see soon enough." Tolrin laughs at his own joke than looks over at Ralts, a look of surprise on his face that he forgot someone.

":"Oh, sorry 'bout that! To be honest, I nay 'ven understand what ye do and we haven't been together that long but want to get up to Sunderhelme... Hmm"

Tolrin pulls at his beard and thinks a moment.

"Well... ye don't look like a bruiser, so why don't ye stand towards the center with me. I don't even know what Lythe is to be honest but... ye got a bow at least..."

Lythe jumps up and down and makes a rude noise towards Tolrin, glaring at him and trying to look fierce.

"Well, fiesty bugger ain't he? She? Anyways, just shoot at whatever's bother'n the rest and do whatever else ye do. You and me will shoot at a mound a few times, see if someth'n moves. Than the rest engage it per the plan. Lets be about it!"

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-28, 03:09 PM
Ralts grins at Lythe, stooping down. He speaks to her in Terran (even though she understands - and speaks - Common just fine).

"Lythe, get under the ground and approach those mounds of snow, okay? See what's up with them. Hurry back."

He then straightens up, drawing an arrow from his quiver. "Ready when you are."

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-28, 03:21 PM
Kelith

Kelith silently moves into his position and gets ready for the action to come; or inaction.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-28, 06:12 PM
Raltise watches as Lythe vanishes under the ground, and frowns slightly "Tolrin, I've sent Lythe to scout underground. Should we wait for her to report back? It should only take a minute.."

Paper_Bard
2007-10-28, 07:19 PM
Duervar speaks up. "Sir, I think we can establish that whatever these creatures are, they probably are not of the weapon-wielding sort. Most likely, they won't have any ranged weapons. Why don't we get somebody to plug a few arrows into them, flush them out, then we can see what we're up against. Let them come to us, or charge in if things look bad."

mshady
2007-10-28, 11:42 PM
Tolrin listens and Raltise and nods.

"Well alright, if it can 'o that, lets see what it can find out 'lthough it's risky and Bundok 'as already departed. Well... maybe its not, I dunno. But aye, lets see. As for 'hem having weapons with range... well... if they did not they'd set up closer to the trail, aye? We have to plow through snow 2 feet deep 'n an incline to get to'em. I'm bett'n one way 'r the other, that ain't an issue to'em... Certainly slow our movement"
Tolrin stops and thinks a moment.

"So yer suggest'n Duervar... that if Ralt's rock runt can't find or figure out what they are, send a couple folks out to flush'em out? Shoot'em with bows or whatnot? If someth'n does come out, 'han the rest go charg'n up the bloody hill as we discussed? That'd make it me and Ralts out first." Tolrin stops and thinks. "Well, that could work. We wouldn't have a head start on goin' up the hill, but we may not get it either. We might get 'o see what we're facin' first and change our deployment or even fall back if its too much though. More risk fer me and Ralts, less risk for the rest. Maybe. Eh... noth'n certain. Lets wait for the rock runt... I like yer idea though."

As the group discusses and waits for Lythe, Bundok has already set out. Staying close to the side of the rock wall along the trail, he nears the valley. As it opens up to reveal the valley, he enters the valley. Sticking to the jagged rocks and uneven cover along the side of the right hand side of the valley, he begins to move into position. Looking at the two lumps in the snow, he notices no movement.

Bundok will need to roll a hide check again when he gets into position. The location will be determined through PMs

Local Conditions: Movement off the trail is reduced to half speed due to the 2 feet of snow on the ground and the grade. Fatigue checks may also be requested if combat extends. Due to darkness, all those with normal vision have a 20% miss chance. Those with low light vision have a 10% miss chance.

If there is a fight, I will need to be able to get you maps. Unless someone has a website I can upload them to, I would like to distribute them via email IF there is combat. Please PM me the best email address to send the maps to.

Update: Diarmuid has shown me the wonders of Image Shack, so we'll do it that way I think.

ArmanMadero
2007-10-29, 03:17 PM
Arman frowned slightly and looked to Tolrin as they headed towards the lumps in the snow. "Has anyone here given any thought that the lumps may be nothing more than rocks in the snow?"

mshady
2007-10-29, 05:10 PM
Tolrin laughs quietly is response to Arman.

"Elf, if they're rocks in the snow that'd be the worse thing of all. As much 's we're here for me to pay our respects, we're also here to clear the path fer the Stone Council com'n here tomorrow. I'd rather be find'n trouble than rocks! But aye... 'hats a good point. I hadn't considered that they're not cleverly disguised enemies but unassum'n boulders. Wouldn't ye all have a laugh about that?"

Tolrin gives Arman a cocky half smile but has a very cold, deadly look in his eyes that betrays him. If anyone assumed by his previous demeanor he was a gentile old dwarf who played at war, that might be dispelled if one looked at him now. The faint tingle of magic beginning to pulse through Tolrin body as he readies himself to unleash it makes Arman's hair tingle. A mage himself, it has numbing yet electric feel to it like he has not experienced before.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-10-29, 06:25 PM
Kelith

{{Waiting on the earth elementals news and the ranged attacks on the boulder to see if anything happens. Still here, just don't have anything to post.}}

bchilders
2007-10-31, 08:04 AM
Magnum is practically bouncing with anticipation/excitement. He eagerly waits for word to start the attack.

Diarmuid
2007-10-31, 09:40 AM
Bundok

Hunkering down in his hiding place, Bundok sets his staff down in the snow and begins lining up his crossbow with one of the mounds.

mshady
2007-10-31, 06:45 PM
The map is up for this area. Please let me know if it does not work for you.

For Bundok, please let me know what square you chose to set up in.

This map is topographical. Here is the elevation key.

Brown = Trail
White = 0 feet
Grey = 5 feet
Dark Grey = 10 feet
Blue = 15 feet,
Black = Tomb Entrance (It's on the left)
X = Unidentified Topographical Anomoly (the lumps)

Character Loction: Characters are identified by their first initial, with the exception of Arman Madero who is listed as AM.

All squares but the road are covered in snow, slowing movement speed by half.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4691/trailmap1bx1.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4691/trailmap1bx1.th.jpg (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trailmap1bx1.jpg)

mshady
2007-10-31, 07:15 PM
As Bundok searches for a hiding place and the rest of the group discuss, argue and wait just out of view of the valley, little Lythe is burrowing through the frozen tundra. She was in her element, literally. The young geodite was always eager to please it’s Master and delighted at the opportunity to show those grumpy dwarves what she was capable of. Rock Runt and Stone Poodle were only the more affectionate names she had heard, for while dwarves respected and often allied with earth elementals they were wary of them as well for they often collapsed tunnels.

However tough frozen earth was, it was like paper to an earth elemental and she made better progress than expected (15 ft per round). Finally, she reached the first of the lumps her silly master was concerned about. She hoped they were just big rocks and she’d use the shock of her voice to explode them or roll them down a hill. At first she thought about coming up right in front of one and just touching it, but if it was something mean and nasty, that might well be the end of her. So instead she circled it underground, rising to a higher depth a few inches at a time until she sensed something odd. An odd trench seemed to be right above her, carved into the earth leading up the valley. “How very odd!”, she thought and went far down the trench line and poked her head up at a safe distance. Sure enough, it was a trench and cleverly woven sticks covered it. It all felt like freshly disturbed dirt too. It was wide and 10 feet under the surface.

Submerging into the earth again, she went back to the first mound and approached it carefully. Directly underneath it, she cowered at first and then reached a stony little hand up to it. She hesitated once, twice and a third time but summoned the courage on the fourth attempt. What she found was a large cairn of oddly rounded stone, like she had seen big people like her Ralts throw from big wooden machines.

Very confused now, she was preparing to turn back when she felt something moving. Something very large was moving through the tunnel towards the stones! She immediately panicked! Not daring to stick her little head up to look, she dove deep into the ground and burrowed back to her companion. Over a minute later and having taken far longer to accomplish her task than anyone apparently expected, she poked her head up out of the ground near Ralt’s feet. Pulling herself out of the tunnel, she immediately related what she had seen telepathically to Ralts, too scared and too rough with any language to confidently relate.

If an earth elemental could shake at all, this little geodite certainly was now as she clung to her only friend’s leg with crushing power.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-31, 07:47 PM
Raltise lets out a slight yelp as his geodite companion suddenly latches onto his leg. He stoops down, 'listening' to her explanation while gently stroking the back of her head and making soothing sounds. He looks directly into her eyes as he listens; he doesn't really need to do this (and could, in fact, speak to her from over a mile away), but he tends to do it anyway. Odd...

He stands up after attempting to pry Lythe off. "Those mounds of snow are just rocks. Lythe says they remind her of rocks fired from a catapult... and she also says that there's a tunnel under the ground and something large moving through it." He gives his leg a jerk, trying to dislodge the elemental. "Lythe, would you... let go..."

mshady
2007-10-31, 08:27 PM
After a long moment, the geodite lets go of Ralt's leg and sits down on his haunches not unlike a dog and looks around somewhat bewildered. Tolrin watches the exchange with interest and nods approvingly.

"Well... 'hats interest'n. A deep trench with a pile of boulders at the end? Oh, 'his is gonna be one to make Clangeddin proud..." The dwarf smiles widely to himself. "Lads, what do ye think it is?"

bchilders
2007-10-31, 08:51 PM
"The size of the beast ne'er mattered to me. It might 'ave the little rock scared but I say we can take it."

mshady
2007-10-31, 10:28 PM
"Two mounds, two beasties lad. I reckon they mean to throw dem stones our way. Gett'n up to dem through all dat snow's gonna give'em twice the chance to be doing it so ye best keep yer shields up!"

Tolrin gives his hammer a testing, eager swing through the air.

"We ready?"

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-01, 12:08 AM
Kelith
"I agree with Tolrin, let's start this fire."

Spells Cast
1st Level- 1 of 7

{{Man those rocks are pretty darn far away, just we better start trudging up}}

ArmanMadero
2007-11-01, 01:13 PM
"Does Lythe know how long the tunnel is about?"

mshady
2007-11-01, 01:26 PM
The geodite shakes its head in response, indicating it does not. From the looks of it, it doesn't want to find out either.

bchilders
2007-11-01, 09:49 PM
As we start to head towards the mounds Magnum pulls out this shield for protection against the oncoming rocks and begins his prayers to the Father of Battle. "Great Warrior be my shield and my strength"

Starting by casting two domain spells.
First: magic vestment for +1 AC
Second: Bull's strength

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-03, 12:26 PM
{{Now that everyone is buffed and prepared I would like to vote to go ahead and move us up into range of when 'combat' will start. As far as position goes i'll be near the front, about 10ft behind the front person.}}

ArmanMadero
2007-11-03, 10:41 PM
Resigned to follow the group (as he was after all getting paid), Arman took a small item from the pouch at his side, and made a few gestures with his free hand, drawing the tendrils of magic towards him. His voice spoke softly, and yet powerfully, making some of those in the group hairs stand at the back of their neck. "Tabhair mé an cosaint ó dochar"

As the last syllable passed his lips, a brief distortion appeared around Arman, and then seemed to disappear. There was no light, no sound. But there was a difference around him. The distortion that appeared strong at first was there still, but it was subtle, and one had to look hard to see it. A casual glance would not spot it.

As they continued up the slope towards the lumps, Arman took a spot near the rear of the group. He had a sword if he needed it, but his main weapon was the Art that he wielded with his hands. His hands tingled from the feel of magic passing through them and into his body. The protection that he cast, flowed around him like a second skin. He was ready for whatever fight was coming.

spell casted-Mage Armor

mshady
2007-11-04, 06:15 PM
Tolrin readies himself by casting a series of spells on himself and his party, taking almost a minute as he drones through the spells. His hands glowing blue and gold, Tolrin calls out a prayer to Moradin and the party feels the effect of a mighty blessing. A seperate spell fills all of the party members with the soothing warm glow of divine magic fortifying their armor. Tolrin's body itself blurs from another spell, his body seeming to jump around from place to place making it impossible to know exactly where he is. A shimmering cone of blue, barely perceivable, also surronds him. As he turns to the party and smiles before slamming the face plate closed on his winged helmet, it is an oddly disconcerting image.

"For Moradin!" he yells and runs hard down the trail, his armor clattering as he rumbles forward and the group follows him. With a better angle on the farthest mound, Tolrin slides to a stop, sets his feet and hurls his hammer towards the farthest one. It arcs high, floating the air and flying true revealing what can only be a powerful enhancement. The hammer hits the pile of stones with a resounding crack, exploding one of the stones and knocking several from the cairn. Tolrin's hammer goes spinning off into the snow. As Tolrin advances ten feet into the snow, he lets out a war whoop and gives thanks to Moradin.

His blessing is answered swiftly as two large humanoids burst through the snow in a shower of pine boughs next to the stone piles and answer with a roar of their own. Largely under cover from the trenches, they are unmistakably giants. From the armor, icey blue skin and white hair they can be only frost giants.

"Oi lads! Clangeddin's blessed us 'his day! Giants!Watch fer boulders, lads!" Tolrin yells.

Tolrin has cast Bless and Shield of Faith (Mass) on the party, giving each member a +3 AC Deflection bonus. Assuming everyone follows him, all followed him on his initial double move to Z33. Please note your positions and execute your first round of combat. For the giants, this is considered a surprise round and they are unable to act. I'll roll initiative, but for the most part it will only be relevant in damage resolution. Sorry for the delay in posting, I had some prep work, trying out Hellgate London and caught a flu.

Diarmuid
2007-11-05, 09:48 AM
Can we get locations for the Giants on the map?

Diarmuid
2007-11-05, 09:51 AM
Bundok
Armor Class: 18
Hit Points: 57/57
Initiative: [roll0]

Popping up from his hiding place at the roars, Bundok's blood begins to churn as he sees his hated foes spring from their hiding places. Firing off a shot with his crossbow, he then drops the weapon to the snow and picks up his staff preparing to charge at the giants.



[roll1] (-2 range increment not applied in roll)
[roll2]

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 10:05 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 37
Move: 40ft.
Initiative: +3

Raltise moves quickly; his hand leaps his his quiver of arrows, pulling one out and knocking it on the string. He moves forward, faster than most humans are capable of, and lets the arrow fly towards the closest giant. His eyes glow a dull blue; his face is a picture of perfect calm.

Move 40ft. 20ft. towards the giants, then attack the closest one. Hopefully I'm within 110 feet... if not, I guess I'm taking a range penalty of -2.
Attack!: [roll0]
Damage!: [roll1]

Lythe
AC: 24
HP: 18; DR: 5/-
Move: 30ft., burrow 10ft.
Initiative: -1

(OOC: I'll let you handle her actions... other details in the spoiler box.)

Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +4; Psi-like abilities (ML 4): 2/day: energy ray (sonic, +2 ranged touch, 4d6-4), create sound, stomp (DC 13); slam +7 melee, 1d4+4 blugeoning; SQ: darkvision 60ft., improved evasion, telepathic link, deliver touch powers

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-05, 12:58 PM
Kelith
AC: 21 (w/Shield of Faith)
HP: 49
Initiative: [roll0]

Kelith will move as close as he can to the Frost Giant Tolrin is heading towards to give him some backup.

{{I'm assuming I can't get up there quick enough for an attack, let me know if i'm wrong.}}

mshady
2007-11-05, 01:07 PM
Here is an updated map with the Frost Giant's position and that of everyone after following Tolrin for the first round. Please plot your moves from the current position.

The frost giants are under cover and all attacks against them have a 50% miss chance.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6184/trailmap2ta5.th.jpg (http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trailmap2ta5.jpg)

Free Image Hosting (http://imageshack.us)

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-05, 05:32 PM
Kelith
AC: 21 (w/Shield of Faith)
HP: 49
Initiative:16

{{Just keep moving me up in unison with Tolrin until I get within attacking distance of a giant.}}

bchilders
2007-11-05, 11:44 PM
HP: 45
AC: 28 (w/ shield of faith and magic vestment)


Magnum moves along side Tolrin and begin some chanting of his own. As he ends his prayer a points towards the giant and a glimmering waraxe appears next to the frost giant on the right. "Take some of Clangeddins axe you overgrown lummox," Magnum shouts as the axe takes its first swing.

Cast Spiritual weapon
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

bchilders
2007-11-05, 11:49 PM
OOC: sorry for the double post...I forgot to post initiative

Init: [roll0]

Katasi
2007-11-06, 12:11 AM
Arum
AC W/Shield of Faith: 16
HP:38
Initiative: +2

Arum speaks the words of power while gesturing the cast his most powerful summoning spell [summon monster 2], to call forth a Celestial Wolf.

Assuming the DM allows a slight changing of the list, allowing a celestial wolf instead of just a fiendish one. If not he will summon [roll0] celestial badgers.

mshady
2007-11-07, 04:02 AM
As the two large frost giants roar with battle lust and try to get their bearings, the party rushes off of the trail after the enemy as the giants reach for their boulders. From the size of the piles, there has to be over a dozen stones in each and possibly more that remain hidden. The light is dim and seeing is difficult for all but the dwarves and even their dark vision is limited.

From his hiding place far to the right, Bundok lets a bolt fly from his crossbow with a metallic click. Impossible to follow in shreds of daylight past 60 feet for him, his only acknowledgement it hit anything is the closest frost giant looking in his general direction. With a brush of its meaty hand, it knocks the quarrel out of its chain mail as if it were mosquito. (Bundok rolled a 21 - not enough to penetrate).

Leading the main group, Arman strides forward ahead of the group. Impossibly, his feet do not sink in the snow but the elf stands atop it as easily the trail he just left. None the less, he remains in position with the group and lets an arrow fly from his black bow instead of revealing himself as a mage. The arrow disappears into the twilight. It's arrival is announced with a solid grunt by the first frost giant as it reaches for its shoulder in pain and turns back to look at the main party. The shaft can be plainly seen in the giant's shoulder. (Arman rolled a 26 and did 10 pts of damage).

Duervar, Hjalmar and Kelith plow ahead in the snow. Hjalmar's massive armor and tower shield slows him no more than the other dwarves, but he is more plowing through the snow than running through it. Kelith advances ahead of the group slightly, but is equally hindered by the hill and grade of the slope.

The little gnome Arum wades into the snow that reaches up to his hips, but manages to move 10 feet off the road before stopping. Reaching into his mind to draw the strands of the weave into the proper pattern, he casts a summoning spell. A large wolf appears in a flash of arcane energy. It emerges from the blue cloud of smoke and looks at the giants and belts out a challenging howl towards the giants.

Ralts moves along with Arum and tries to repeat Arman's feat of archery. The arrow hits the giant's heavy iron helmet with a metallic ring and a crack as the arrow finds hard metal and snaps. The giants does not even seem to notice the hit.

The war priest Magnum follows Hjalmar and stops at the end of his run to summon fourth his own ally. His spell has much longer range than Arum's and it appears next to the closest Frost Giant. It appears in a flash of golden light and a sound like a hammer hitting an anvil that echoes into the mountain side. A golden axe appears next to the giant, much to its astonishment.

As the party advances, the unarmed Tolrin calls out to them.

"Only two of'em! Better to dodge their stones 'han their terrible axes. Wear'em down and watch fer pit falls! Lythe, see what ye can find!"

The small geodyte, sitting on the trail as all its friends ran off into danger, bobs its stoney little head and disappears back into the ground.

The second giant, so far unharmed, turns and looks to its right for a long moment before looking back at the party and looking for the first target of its boulder.

Without a post for Arman, Duervar and Hjalmar, I made a post for them to keep things moving. I am going to set up a more organized posting schedule in the next day.

When posting moves, please try to post the exact square you will be moving to. Its not crucial at this point but will become so if there is a melee.

Summoned creatures, weapons, etc will not attack on the round they are summoned as they are appearing at the very end of the 6 second round. They are able to attack on the next round.

As common knowledge for your PCs, these appear to be adult frost giants. You would all know they throw boulders and have big, nasty axes and are very good with them.

Hop everyone's having fun!!

Initiative Order:

Bundok - 22
Arman - 21
Duervar - 19
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Frost Giant 2 - 15
Arum - 14
Raltise - 13
Frost Giant 1 - 10
Tolrin - 9
Magnum - 8

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8097/trailmap3nu8.th.jpg (http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trailmap3nu8.jpg)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8097/trailmap3nu8.jpg

bchilders
2007-11-07, 08:12 PM
Magnum
HP: 45
AC: 28 (w/ shield of faith and magic vestment)

Magnum will continue keeping pace with the group and draw his crossbow as he moves. As he loads his bolt he says a swift prayer and sets his crossbow to fire.

OOC: I assume we'll use the rolls from my last thread as the axes first attack this round and I'm using this round to draw and load my crossbow, so next round I'll give you my crossbow fire and new rolls for the spiritual weapon.

Katasi
2007-11-07, 10:29 PM
[due to not wanting to have to check this thread every ten seconds tomorrow, I'll post ahead of time with a few contigencies.]

If the giants are still in the distance:

Arum looks to the nearest giant and murmurs a few words as he gestures, a fireball leaping from his fingertips and jumping rapidly towards the giants. He then has his summoned wolf go in for the kill.

[roll0]

If both giants have team members around them he will refrain from fireballing and instead get as close as possible to within 25 feet and use scorching ray [see below]

If the giants are closing in [within 20 feet of him]:

Arum moves back as far as he can get and murmurs a few words and gestures toward the nearest giant, a ray of scorching light shooting from his fingertips as he asks his wolf to attack.

[roll1]
[roll2]

If the giants are within 10:

Arum moves back 5 feet and casts his spell as defensively as possible, summoning up a shield of clear force in front of him as he orders his wolf to attack.

[roll3]

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 10:34 PM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 37
Move: 40ft.

Raltise moves ever closer to the giants, not seeming to even notice that he missed; he pulls back again, letting loose another arrow, which sails through the air...

Move to V-28.
Attack: [roll0]
Miss chance: [roll1] (I think they still have cover?)
Damage: [roll2]

Diarmuid
2007-11-08, 01:09 PM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57
Initiative 22 (thought I rolled a 15, but whatever)

The familiar weight of his staff in his hand and the sight of his most precious of preys before him, the ranger cuts a swath through the snow directly at the giant closest to him.

Either double move, or run. Not sure if running isnt an option due to the snow. Ending up at either AI/6 or AE/6. Half movement really sucks when the enemy is like 100 feet away and your movement rate is already a stunted 20.


[note to players] dont forget dwarven natural +4 dodge bonus vs giants. [/note to players]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-08, 02:53 PM
Kelith
AC: 21 (w/Shield of Faith)
HP: 49/49
Initiative:16

Kelith continues climbing up the trail trying to get close enough to swing his chain. Although the snow is hindering his movement he looks determined to make it to the frost giants.

mshady
2007-11-09, 05:44 AM
Rising from his snowy cover along the side of the valley, Bundok slings his crossbow and breaks into as much of a dead run as a dwarf can manage in heavy snow. Gripping his quarterstaff tightly and focused on a hated giant, he plows through the snow wordlessly. The closest giant probably notices him, but is far more concerned by the floating axe that just took a swing at its head and the pelting it just received to its front to pay much attention to Bundok.

Arman steps forward, his feet above the snow and moving with his customary Elven grace. Rather than putting another arrow shaft into his target with his thick, black composite bow he stops for a moment. Raising his right hand into a casting stance, he utters the proper arcane words and makes the proper gestures. In a moment, several balls of ruby red magic go streaking off into the darkness leaving traces of their magical essence behind them tracing their path. Within a moment, the missiles slam into the closest frost giant like hammer blows and the giant’s breath is driven from its chest. (15 pts of damage). Laughing to himself, the elf bows his head and tips his hat towards the giant in appreciation of his own skill.

Duervar, Hjalmar and Kelith plow through the snow towards the two frost giants. Clanking, huffing and stumbling through the drifts, they surge forward to come to grips with the hated giants. Kelith outpaces his two cohorts with his longer legs, although they maintain their lead for the moment.

The second giant, so far unharmed and watching the advance of its foes up the hill at him and belts out a thundering yell, “Come stumpies! Garath chop you with axe!!” Finding the biggest, slowest moving target of the closest three, the giant hurls a hundred pound boulder at Hjalmar. The veteran dwarf, expecting the boulders, watches as the giant hurls the stone at him. Tolrin, farther back, watches the arc of the boulder with concern and tenses. “Watch out, lad!”, he yells. Needing no such warning, Hjalmar watches the arc of the boulder and brings up his massive tower shield to meet it. Side stepping and angling his shield, he drives his shoulder into the tower shield at the moment of impact and the boulder glances off his shield and it burrows into ground, sending up a spray of snow. Hardly missing a step, the dwarf just continues on towards his enemy. The giant roars in anger as the dwarf literally shrugs off the blow.

Staying farther back and as far away as he can from the giants and still be able to work his magics, Arum does not move from his position. The calm, diminutive, gnome reaches into his pouch of spell components and withdraws a small ball of bat guano and sulfur. Unpleasant to handle as it was, he gladly tosses it into the air as he says the proper arcane words. The ball lights into a roaring flame and Arum points to where he wishes it to go. It streaks off into the darkness leaving a small tail of fire and smoke and it lands exactly between the two giants. It blossoms into a furious ball with a deep, bass whump of flame that lights up the darkness. Arum can feel the air being sucked back into the gap created by the fireball and steam rises up from the vaporized snow around the giant’s trenches. The creatures howl in pain and their body and hair smolders and smokes. Arum’s summoned wolf, tiny by comparison, charges towards the closest giant.

Arum’s fireball did 15 pts. As frost giants are vulnerable to fire, they actually take 23 pts.

Right behind Arum’s fireball is a second arrow from Raltise. Not moving from where he made his first shot, he turns his intense focus towards the target. For him, there is nothing else in that moment and his focus pays off. His arrow flies straight and true of a deadly flat arc. The bodkin head of his arrow punches through the giant’s chainmail armor and into its meaty chest before being stopped by a rib. (6 pts).

The closest frost giant, reeling from two arrows and two magic attacks, turns its huge axe on its nearest tormentor. It takes a wild swing at the floating axe and he hits it squarely, but the floating axe is not a solid thing. It sways in the air from the blow.
Tolrin moves closer to the enemy by ten feet, confident in how the fight is going. Holding up his hand, his magnificent throwing hammer rematerializes. Instead of throwing it at one of the giants, a positively wicked grin comes across his face. “Lads, ye ever seen a dwarf cook a giant!” Reaching into a pouch, he pulls out a small glowing dethek rune tablet and makes the proper intonations. Within a moment, a wall of roaring arcane fire leaps from the ground and encircles the two giants and rises 20 feet into the air. Pine boughs covering the trenches erupt into black smoke. The giants inside the cauldron of fire roar and howl in pain as the flame and heat, directed inwards, burns them and traps them inside. “Burn ye overgrown bastards, burn! Put yerselves in a pot, yer gonna get cooked. Giant head soup fer all tonight! Form a line lads! They’re gonna come outta there howlin’ mad!!”

The wall of fire does 15 pts of damage normally. It does 23 points to the frost giants due to their vulnerability.

While a wall of fire may encircle the giants, it hardly bothers Magnum’s spiritual axe. The giant finally catches a break, however inadvertently. As it writhes randomly in pain and flails about in shocked surprise, the spiritual axe barely misses a clean shot at the giant’s vulnerable neck. (Rolled a 17 – Miss). Magnum himself plunges forward in the snow and loads his crossbow, ready for the charging giants.

Charging into the chaos, Bundok can only smile at what must be going on inside the cauldron of fire as Tolrin’s laughing echoes and the giants howl in pain.

Map to be posted shortly…

mshady
2007-11-09, 11:27 AM
Here is the map...

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6661/trailmap4sq1.th.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trailmap4sq1.jpg)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-09, 02:09 PM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 37
Move: 40ft.

Raltise continues his intense calm. He moves swiftly, mostly sideways so as to get a clearer shot. He then takes another arrow from his quiver, knocks it, and lets it fly at the most wounded giant in one swift motion.

Movin' to V-25... no real reason.
Attack! [roll0]
Miss chance! [roll1]
Damage! [roll2]

mshady
2007-11-09, 04:41 PM
Just to clarify something...

The Wall of Flame spell that Tolrin cast has created a curtain of flame 20 feet high. Seeing anything inside that ring of fire will be pretty difficult. It would be an additional 50% miss chance on top of the cover provided by being in the trenches. Of course, they may not be in there much longer...

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-09, 05:12 PM
...Regardless, Frost Giant 2 goes before Ralts does, so he'll shoot him.

ArmanMadero
2007-11-09, 09:04 PM
Arman moved foreward a bit more, hopeing to see one of the giants a bit better. The flames from Tolrin's spell kept the giants in, but it also hid them.

Arman held no love for frost giants themselves, but Gods the fire blocked his sight to them! How was he supposed to hit them?

He took careful aim again with his bow and aimed at what he hoped was one of the frost giants along the edge of the fire.

Arman is moving to X-21 and will fire upon Frost Giant 1 with his bow. If you could make the rolls Shady, because i still haven't figured that out on this thing yet... if there is one... hee hee

mshady
2007-11-09, 09:56 PM
Surprise Round

From the darkness far back in the small valley, a deep moan of a horn blows, reverberating down off the mountain.

A moment later, three ogres burst upwards from under the ground in a spray of snow and roar at the group. The centermost ogre is larger than the others, a large slobbering brute with a crude looking axe in his hands. Arum's summoned wolf is plunging through the snow right in front of the Ogre. With a animalistic howl, it swings the axe over its head and downward, chopping the summoned wolf in half (25 pts to the celestial wolf). The vivisected creature twitches for a second and disappears back to the ether as the ogre roars. Long ropes of drool hang from its mouth as it works itself into a frenzy, howling and frothing at the mouth as it waves around its bloody axe.

The smaller ogre on the right locks eyes with Kelith, grins a slobbery grin and hurls a javelin right at the running human. It flies straight through the air at Kelith. Seeing the incoming missile hurtling towards him, he twists to present a narrower profile and throw his cloak out to his side. The javelin lances through the cloak and bangs into his chainmail, but leaves no more than a welt.

The ogre on the left launches a javelin at Hjalmar. The veteran dwarf swings his shield in the direction of the javelin and catches the missile as easily as a child might catch a ball. With the javelin lodged in his shield, Hjalmar swipes his hammer across it's face, dislodging the javelin and preventing it from fouling his shield. The big dwarf, wholly unphased, rumbles onwards towards his foes.

Behind Tolrin's wall of fire, one part of the wall is suddenly snuffed out by a cone of arcane cold. The caster was an ogre dressed in a chainmail and furs drops who seems to have materialized from a puff of gas. The hole it created will allow the staggered frost giant to leave the circle of fire less painfully, at least. Assuming the giant inside, surronded by sheets of flame, notices.

Initiative:

Ogre 1 - 5
Ogre 2 - 11
Ogre Barbarian - 10
Ogre Mage - 21

A note on summons: I was incorrect. They can act on the round they are summoned normally. No impact to gameplay, thankfully.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9559/trailmap5mi9.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trailmap5mi9.jpg)

Butch
2007-11-10, 05:55 AM
Hjalmar

The old war veteran trudges along, nearing the enemy with a slow but unshakeable pace. To this day he's never let a giant see the end of a battle, and he didn't plan on this time to be different. The ogres might be frightening to some but Hjalmar didn't even twitch as they appeared. To him, they were just a small obstacle in the way of the giants. The giants that he wanted to see dead by his own hands.

OOC: Hjalmar will move his maximum 20 ft straight ahead. However, I'm unsure about the scale here. 1 square=10 ft?
In that case he will be at U 22 at the end of this round.

Katasi
2007-11-10, 11:57 AM
Arum lets out a string of gnomish curses.

When he gets a chance he will say his words of power again and cast his last fireball against the ogre mage.

[roll0]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-10, 03:17 PM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 54/54
Initiative:16

Seeing these new enemies enter the fray, Kelith diverts his movements staying close enough to the casters and ranged attacks to defend them for when these ogres and giants get to them.

While he does this he mutters chants under his breath and immediately you see a sparkling nimbus of green light appears around him. As the light fades, Kelith seems a shade larger and has a more animalistic and feral countenance.

{{Casting Animalistic Power on self. Gives +2 to str/dex/con}}
Spells Cast
1st- 1/7
2nd-1/5

Diarmuid
2007-11-10, 11:33 PM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57

The dwarven ranger continues to push his way through the snow directly west (west on the map, whatever direction that actually is).

bchilders
2007-11-11, 01:30 AM
Magnum
HP: 45
AC: 28 (32 vs giants)

Magnum stops for a moment to fire his crossbow at the mage, deeming him to be the most pressing concern. As soon as the shot leaves though, he continues presssing forward to get in on the action. Seeing some of his companions pulling ahead of him he shouts, "Make sure you leave some fun fer the rest of us." Magnum roars with laughter as he continues his charge.

Crossbow attack at mage if there is an clear shot, if not he'll fire at a giant assuming one comes out of the fire. If all else fails he'll shoot an ogre.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Spiritual Weapon Attack on giant: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

bchilders
2007-11-11, 01:33 AM
Roll to confirm critical on the crossbow: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-11, 07:15 AM
Ralts... is going to stick with what he was doing before. If he ends up going before the giants leave the fire, he'll delay until they do.

mshady
2007-11-11, 08:36 PM
Bundok continues his charge through the snow, his adrenaline beginning to surge as he sees what can only be an ogre mage appear near the giants. Just moments before, it unleashed a powerful spell on the Wall of Flame, creating an exit for one of the beleaguered giants.

The ogre mage looks around after its spell snuffs out the flame. It considers helping the frost giant out of the trench and the flame, but wants to avoid the fires for its own reasons. Ogre mages are, above all else, selfish creatures. Instead it spies Bundok plowing through the snow and an evil grin curls on to its tusked face. Unbothered by the snow, the blue ogre charges through the snow towards Bundok with its 9 foot long greatsword held high over its head. It screams a fierce battle cry at the dwarf with shocking volume, drawing the attention of every combatant on the field. The terrible sword flashes down at Bundok from on high, but he twists away from the blow just enough. The sword cuts through his furs but slides off his fine chain shirt. It’s a move only a dwarf could pull off with their long training in dealing with overhead attacks. The sword is buried deep into the permafrost and the ogre yanks hard to retrieve it.

The Ogre Mage rolls a 21 versus AC22 – miss!

Bundok takes the opening he is given to repay the freakish giantkin. Gripping his staff with both hands, he swings it hard in a flashing underhanded arc that whistles through the air. With a sharp crack, he hits the giant hard along the side of its broad, blue, face. Blood flows freely from the wound and it howls from the pain.

Bundok rolled a 24 versus the Ogre Mage. Damage was 12 pts.

Duervar continues his charge forward, eager to bury his wicked two handed pick into a giant but none are within reach quite yet. Hjalmar continues to push forward as well, eager to dispatch the ogres that are sure to charge towards him. This was awfully kind of the ogres by his reasoning, as it saved him the trouble of chasing after them. Kelith pushes forward as well, trying to stay ahead of Arman, who’s leisurely prancing across the snow makes him hard to keep up with or protect.

The farthest frost giant is engulfed in flames as the wall of fire rages around it. It turns and plunges backwards through the flames and out the side of the trench in a frantic motion and runs off to the west.

Frost giant 2 takes 23 pts from the Wall of Fire.

Taking a boulder from its smoldering giant bag, it launches a second boulder at the closest target, Hjalmar again. The dwarven paladin watches the wild throw arc towards him. More for the sake of variety at this point, he takes a knee just before the boulder impacts and takes cover behind his tower shield. The boulder hits with a boom against his shield, but Hjalmar’s shoulder absorbs the blow. Standing up, Hjalmar continues on his way more annoyed by the whole affair than anything else. He notices the giant apparently painted a grinning, fang toothed, face on the boulder as he steps over it and shakes his head.

Arman steps forward, looks for a target for his spells. He had waited until one of the giants showed its ugly face before shooting, unable to see anything in the flames. He decided to shoot at the giant that was bothering Hjalmar after watching it throw another boulder at the dwarf. The shaft flies true and hits the giant in the abdomen but probably not getting through its muscle tissue.

Arman rolled a 25 and did 7 pts of damage to Frost Giant 2.

From his safe vantage point towards the rear of the party, Arum Faer Wed curses as the slobbering ogre chops his summoned wolf in half. He debates sending a fireball at that wretched ogre, but he knows exactly what an ogre mage is and knows he needs to chase it off or kill it before it killed Bundok. Swearing as proficiently as any dwarf he had ever known, he seamlessly works the arcane words and proper hand gestures into the tirade. Woe to any mage that may have tried to counter spell him during that casting! His last fireball spell ignites the sulfur and bat guano pellet and he sends it hurtling to the north. It blossoms just behind the ogre mage and catches it in the back with the fiery blast. The ogre’s right arm is charred black as well as the back of its neck and it howls and it's flesh smokes from the blow. The fireball isn’t quite what he hoped for in power and he hated wasting a spell like that on a single target, but he had little choice.

The fireball does 13 pts of fire damage to the ogre mage.

The closer of the two frost giant is smoking and howling from devilish fires that would no doubt plague its nightmares for the rest of its days. However long they may be. It bolts for the opening that appeared like an answer to its prayers thanks to the ogre mage’s spell. The heat of the flames still roasts the giant, though too far less a degree.

The awful floating axe does not let it get away so easily, however, as it bobs, weaves and strikes at the giant, slicing into its neck and shoulder and down through its collar bone. Quick as a snake, it moves back away from the giant and waits for the next opening.

Spiritual Weapon rolled 19 and does 6 pts on an attack of oppurtunity. The giant takes 8 pts from the heat of the Wall of Fire.

Realizing it can do little more than dodge the wicked little axe, the giant ignores it and throws one of its boulders instead. It flies through the through the air in a lazy arc and lands somewhere between Kelith, Arman and Duervar. It is not exactly clear who it was aimed at.

Raltise shifts to the left a little, constantly moving and constantly focused. Having waited until the frost giant reveals itself, he feathers it with yet another shaft and wonders how much punishment it can take! With the bright light cast by the flames and the distant giant standing to its full height in an open field, it is an easy shot for the patient archer. He sends an arrow soaring through the air and it feathers the big giant below its ribs and to the side. The wound is not terribly deep and hits nothing vital judging by how much the shaft is sticking out.

Raltise rolls a 23 and does 7 pts of damage to frost giant 2.

The ogre that threw the javelin at Kelith takes its crude club in hand and charges the red robed human. It waves the club back and forth over its head as it attacks, winding up for a powerful swing. Ogres are, after all, not known for subtlety. Kelith, with a now feral look about him after finishing his spell, growls at the onrushing ogre and swings his long chain at the ogre. The blow wraps around the ogre’s neck and lodges into its flesh. With a vicious tug, he yanks the chain back and it uncoils itself, shredding the ogre’s neck in the process and leaving a horrific, bloody, wound.

Kelith rolls a 28 and scores a critical hit on an attack of opportunity against the ogre that does 22 pts.

The ogre, viciously wounded by the blow, continues its charge as if it does not realize how badly it had just been hurt. With his arm out stretched and unable to protect himself, Kelith is hit hard by the ogre’s club, taking the hit on his shoulder yet thankful the blow missed his head. He is driven to his knees and finds himself looking upwards at the vicious ogre as hot blood pours from its wounds and into the snow. It tries to kick at him, but Kelith rolls away from it and takes his feet again. The pain burns worse than anything he has experienced since he left the Church of Kossuth for the open road. The ogre and Kelith eye each other, waiting for the the next exchange.

The Ogre rolls a 28, almost a critical, and does 16 pts.
Kelith (38/54)

The biggest of the ogres comes charging in towards Hjalmar at the same time, following right behind the giant’s boulder. Watching the reckless hulk charging at him through his narrow visor, Hjalmar holds his shield forward, narrows his profile and brings his hammer back for a fast, low strike. As the barbaric ogre raises its axe to try and split Hjalmar, the dwarf swings at the ogre with surprising speed. The spiked hammer head slams into the ogre’s leg just below knee, pulping flesh and opening a bloody wound.

Hjalmar rolls a 20 and does 11 pts on the attack of opportunity.

Recovering from his hammer attack, Hjalmar lifts his shield and prepares to receive the inevitable axe blow. The axe comes flying in on hard downward, circular strike in an attempt to clear Hjalmar’s shield. The dwarf’s shield deflects some of the blow, but the enormous ogre’s axe hits Hjalmar square in the chest…

…which does absolutely nothing to the dwarf as it rebounds hard off the armor in a shower of sparks, nearly hitting the ogre! Annoyed, Hjalmar looks at the dent in the fine armor he has worn since he came from the Great Rift, looks back at the ogre and readies to steps towards it back to where he was just standing. With armor twice as thick as normal, it would take a better aimed strike than that to do more than leave a bruise. The ogre is only more enraged by its bad luck, shaking its head furiously and roaring at the dwarf. Hjalmar almost wonders if the ogre actually felt the blow he just delivered and resolves to deliver a few more.

The ogre barbarian rolled a 26 versus AC32.

Tolrin steps forward and looks at the battlefield, trying to decide where best to insert himself. With Hjalmar and Bundok fairing well against their ogres for now and the one that charged Kelith wickedly wounded already, he eyes the giant. With a few quick hand gesture, he casts a spell upon his hammer than clasps his holy symbol for a moment, drawing strength from it. Reaching far behind him, Tolrin swings is arm and indeed his whole body to hurl the now glowing hammer through the air. The hammer spins through the air and arcs high, but its path is unerring and aimed right for the closer giant’s head. The giant stares at the hammer coming towards the frost giant’s face and is dumbstruck by what its seeing. At the last moment, it turns its head away and tries to cover its head with a meaty arm. The hammer hits the giant’s head anyways, cracking hard against the iron helmet, punches through the metal and spinning it around the giant's head.

The giant staggers a moment and drops to its knee, cradling the side of its head. Blood streams from the fresh wound and it looks to have been blinded by the hit as it tosses its helmet aside. The staggered giant wobbles and Tolrin holds his breath. Moradin apparently was not quite done with this one yet though. It rises once again, bloody, burned, shot, half blind and looking for someone to attack. Even the other giant seems surprised its companion is still alive...

Tolrin does 23 pts of damage to the giant with his throwing hammer.

“Magnum, help Hjalmar with that big ogre! Rest o’ye, I want that giant down NOW! Bundok, finish it off 'nd get away from it!! Arum, move up ‘case we get flanked! Someone blew that horn, so ‘his just be first couple waves!”

Magnum pays little attention to that particular fight. Crossbow out and already loaded from before the fight began, he drops his shield against his leg. He fires the crossbow the ogre mage that Bundok is fighting, not registering Tolrin’s orders quite yet. With a click, the heavy crossbow bolt flies out towards the ogre mage. The bolt hits it right under the ogres arm pit, piercing the shiny chainmail and lodging right into the ogre’s lungs. Bright blood sprays from the wound like a geyser with each heaving breath and the monster yells in a bloody spray in response to the near mortal wound. It stumbles and sways, barely able to stand.

Magnum’s Spiritual Weapon continues its attack on the giant, scoring a shallow wound across the giant’s thigh and leaving a small flap of skin and muscle tissue streaming a sheet of blood. The giant is already in too much pain to notice such a minor wound. Pleased with his shot, Magnum drops his crossbow and it hangs on his side from its strap. He continues ahead to help Hjalmar, but is not sure the dwarf really needs it more than Bundok.

Magnum rolled a critical hit and does 11 pts of damage against the Ogre Mage. His spiritual weapon rolled a 26 and did 2 pts of damage.

Spiritual Weapon attack is calculated as base attack bonus + wisdom, giving it a +9 to attack for future reference. Nice spell...

The last ogre moves forwards and throws its second javelin towards Raltise and it is a dead accurate throw that strikes him in the side. However, Ralt’s force screen spell deflects the javelin harmlessly, much to his relief. The ogre grabs its club in both hands and looks between Magnum and Raltise, trying to decide what to do; unarmored human versus hated dwarf.

Ogre 1 rolled a 19 versus AC22 for Raltise.

The horn blows again, a long, alternating note and the giants look behind them and grip their axes. Turning to look back at the party, they seem to be trying to decide what to do.

In response to the horn, the party hears a whistling sound from far to the left. A moment later, the area around Raltise, Magnum, Arman and Tolrin erupts in sharp bangs and flashes as explosive pellets come raining into their position from a battery of distant slingers.

Arman Madero suffers a -4 to initiative and a 20% chance to miscast any spell with a verbal component for the next round. The rest of the party shakes off the effects and are just annoyed.

Bundok – 22
Ogre Mage - 21
Duervar - 19
Arman - 17
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Frost Giant 2 - 15
Arum - 14
Ogre 2 - 11
Frost Giant 1 – 10
Ogre Barbarian - 10
Raltise - 13
Tolrin - 9
Magnum – 8
Ogre 1 – 5

Lucky rolls this round!

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6809/trailmap7pa5.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trailmap7pa5.jpg)

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-11, 09:47 PM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 38/54
Initiative:16

Gritting away the pain back into his mind, Kelith smiles at the ogre as he brings his chain around again swinging it in an arc straight for the ogre.

[roll0]
[roll1]

{{I noticed you added +8 to my attack, but since i gained a +2 to str it actually went up to +9. So just to make sure, did you add the extra +2 to str when factoring my damage?}}

bchilders
2007-11-11, 11:17 PM
Magnum
HP: 45
AC: 28 (32 vs giants) -2 for charging

Excited to see his spiritual weapon scoring some hits Magnum roars all the louder. Half laughing, half battle cry Magnum charges in to help Hjalmar as Tolrin asked. Usually Magnum would prefer to lose the shield and push forward with his axe alone but because the giants were still standing and the threat of another wave he decided to keep it out for now. After his attack on the barbarian Magnum looks over to Hjalmar and says, "Doesn't seem sportin' this wee tike versus two fine warriors. Should we fight with one hand behind our back?"

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Spiritual weapon: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
I stuck with +6 to attack for the spiritual weapon because my base attack bonus is only +3, let me know if you think this works differently

Diarmuid
2007-11-12, 12:06 AM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57
Initiative: 22

An almost leering smile split the dingy ranger's face as the Ogre Mage closed the distance with him. He spits his words at it in Orcish as he falls into a rhythm twirling his staff through the air

"Heh, ye save'd me tha trouble o' coming o'er there to kick yer arse. Ye should'a brought some friends with ya, ye're ginna em."

Feet dancing through the snow to best let him dodge a swing from the mammoth sword of the ogre mage, Bundok hears Tolrin's instructions and sacrifices some accuracy for added ferocity to his attacks.



Full Attack Action, Power attack for 2

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Katasi
2007-11-12, 02:16 AM
Arum screams another string of curses as his fireball fails to do as much as he wanted and then the slingers start. He moves as far as he can north, trying to close witht he ogre mage, then casts the only long range spell he has left, saying the words of power as three bolts of purple force burst from his fingertips.

He moves 20 feet north, then casts magic missile, aiming all three of his missiles at the nearest Ogre. [roll0]

Butch
2007-11-12, 07:05 AM
Hjalmar
HP: 76/76
AC:20

He briefly faces Magnum ans says;
"Indeed. But I would never deny another man the glory of a good battle. Give him your best shot."

If Magnum is perceptive he'd see that the normal stone cold gaze of Hjalmar's one good eye has an entirely different one. It's as if it glows with passion.

Hjalmar turns again to the ogre and attempts a blow aganst it's vitals.

Attack:1d20+10
Dmg: 1d8+5

and, if applicable
Crit: 3d8+15

OOC:D'oh. I've forgotten how to make rolls here. Anyone care to show me how it's done?

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-12, 07:47 AM
(OOC: You want "roll", not "rollv" on those closing tags.)

Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 37
Move: 40ft.

Raltise looks towards the undecided ogre, and decides to make up his mind for him. He knocks an arrow, pulling back and letting it fly towards the momuntarily confused ogre. He's not aiming for the giant anymore, as there are too many bodies in the way, and he doesn't want to risk hitting Hjalmar.

He shouts out in Common: "Hey! Do you think you can handle me? Come on!" He holds out his free, right hand. Blue energy crackles down his arm, forming into a shimmering, blueish blade of energy, covering the psionicist's hand like a particularly wicked gauntlet.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-12, 07:51 AM
...D'oh, forgot to roll.

Attack! [roll0]
Damage! [roll1]

...Well, that's not gonna hit.

mshady
2007-11-12, 09:48 AM
(OOC: How are you guys doing the spoilers?)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-12, 10:33 AM
[ spoiler]Blah![/ spoiler]

Creates:

Blah!

ArmanMadero
2007-11-12, 10:42 PM
Arman silently cursed at the little pellets striking him. He was a nice elf before. Not anymore. No more Mr. Nice Elf! He moved foreward until he got to where he could cause the most damage - if this worked right...

Reaching within himself for the Art that lay within, he made a single movement with his left hand and crushed the two components in his right. "Tintreach!

White blue electricity shot from his fingertips and into the ogres he aimed at.

Arman is moving to X19 and casting Lightning on ogre2 and the ogremage. Shady - please check private message

mshady
2007-11-13, 03:43 AM
Bundok watches as the ogre, nearly toppled by the latest wound, suddenly seems more invigorated as its wounds start to rapidly close. He realizes his initial suspicions were correct, that the ogre can regenerate from its wounds. Still obviously wounded and bleeding profusely, it leers at Bundok and watches his movements with its bright, white, eyes. Bundok does not give it a chance to do more than see the blow coming as he drives the staff hard right into the ogre’s chest. With a sickening snap, ribs are smashed and the blunt staff penetrates the creature’s chest. Blood runs down the staff like a river, covering Bundok's hands. Pulling the staff out, he spins and smashes the staff into the back of the tumbling creature’s neck and shattering vertebrae. The big ogre falls flat on its face, arms spread and its sword tumbling into the snow. It's head is twisted at an impossible angle, its neck broken. The ogre does not move or breathe and appears to be completely dead – but for how long?

Bundok rolled an 18 and a 22 on the giant, doing 28 pts of damage to the ogre mage.

Duervar debates attacking the ogre fighting Kelith but the human seems to have the situation well in hand. Moving forward and to the left in front of Arman, he gets into a defensive position and has a good angle for charging at the ogre fighting Hjalmar.

Duervar advances to W-19 and is in a total defense stance, adding +4 AC dodge.

Arman silently cursed at the little pellets striking him. Or at least it seems silently, as he is deafened by the infernal pellets bombarding the area. He was a nice elf before. Not anymore. No more Mr. Nice Elf! Arman readies a spell to attack the ogre mage and the one fighting Kelith but one of those fights are over and the other is about to be. Backpedalling, Arman lines up a lightning bolt spell in hopes it will hurt both enemies – if this works right.

Reaching within himself for the Art that lay within, he made a single movement with his left hand and crushed the two components in his right. "Tintreach!

White blue electricity shoots from his fingertips and into the ogres with a loud crack and sizzle through the air. His aim is true and the bolt zips just past Hjalmar, connecting with the berserk ogre he is fighting. The powerful bolt explodes the flesh along the ogre’s side and arm, leaving nasty black wounds that leave the ogre howling from the pain. It shakes off the blow, its body jolting from the charge. The lightning bolt does not stop with the berserk ogre though and the electricity continues along a straight line and hits the ogre behind it right in its fleshy neck.

Most of its neck is superheated by the intense electric and most of it is blown apart in a bloody spray. The ogre’s head rolls back at an impossible angle from the shock. The creature stands a moment, twitches as if its body is taking a moment to realize it is dead than falls down in a bloody heap. The snow around the ogre turns into a red lake. Even Arman winces at the effect of his spell and glad he isn’t close enough to have a better look. No more Mr. Nice Elf indeed!

An Arman step back to X23 and shoots his lightning bolt, overcoming the effects of the explosive pellets on his spell casting. The bolt does 28 pts of damage.

The passing of the lightning bolt right over his head doesn’t even phase the dwarf, as it is a common battle spell and he was rather expecting it. Sensing an opening as the crazed barbarian is maimed by the lightning bolt and shuddering from the electricity, he praises Moradin as his hammer glows with divine energy. Hjalmar swings hard for the ogres charred ribs and connects. The blow shatters bone and leaves the ogre’s side malformed from the hit. One can only imagine what the ogre’s insides must look like and how it stayed on its feet at all is a bit surprising. The beast accepts the blow and continues its frenzy, oblivious to pain, oblivious to fear. It’s only care is killing Hjalmar.

Kelith is doing his own dance, swinging his chain to keep up its momentum. Spinning it in a flurry from right to left that leaves the stupid ogre bewildered and holding its club up in a meager defense, Kelith strikes. As the chain swings forward, he changes its angle and lets out some slack and lets it swing out wide. When the chain passes behind him, Kelith swings his body with it and the chain sings through the air. The chain hits the ogre in the side of the head and the spikes penetrate its skull. Yanking the chain back, he ends up pulling the ogre over with and it crashes to the side. With a flick of the wrist, Kelith frees his chain as the ogre twitches and jerks on the ground and looks for his next target.

Kelith rolls a 16 and does 7 pts against the ogre. It is now down and unconscious.

Seeing what the prancing elf just did to one of the ogres, the frost giant hurls yet another boulder through the air. The distance gives Arman plenty of time to judge its course and he hops out of the 50 lbs boulder’s way and it rolls down the hill. The giant roars in frustration at yet another miss. Instead of advancing though, the giant falls back behind a rise and disappears from sight. It did not seem to be fleeing for safety or panicking as it withdrew.

The giant rolled a 19 v. AC26.

Arum, the foul mouthed gnome, continues his string of battle curses. The profanity cascades across a variety of language barriers. The cussing only intensifies as Arman lands yet another spell, killing a fresh ogre this time. Each of the ogres Arum had wanted to kill kept dying on him first, robbing him of the kill and glory. With three of the Ogres down, he turns his wrath on the last remaining ogre. The big brute isn’t even looking in Arum’s direction as he finally casts a magic missile spell. The bolts fly out and around Hjalmar, striking the ogre in the nose, chest and most painfully, the groin. Blood runs from the ogre’s battered nose in a stream, mixing with its slobber.

Arum does 10 pts of damage to the ogre barbarian with his spell.

With his intended target utterly dead, Raltise settles on the next closest target. Drawing his arrow, he fires at the barbaric ogre as it fights with Hjalmar but scene is moving too fast to be sure of his shot. However good an archer he was, he was not so precise or quick in his reactions for this to be an easy shot. Indeed, when he finally does let his arrow fly, it hits Hjalmar in the shoulder and the arrow skitters off into the air. Hjalmar does not seem to even realize he had been hit. None the less, his mind blade appears in his hand, hoping he will have better luck with his blade.

Raltise rolled a 9 when shooting into melee. His designated target was already dead.

The closer frost giant follows the lead of its comrade, flinging a stone hard towards Arman. This boulder flies straight and fast at him as the elf recovers his balance from hoping out of the way from the last boulder. It flies so close to his delicate head he can feel the wind from its passage. The battered, frustrated giant cries out in frustration once again and falls back like the other giant behind the rise.

The giant rolled a 25 versus AC26 with the throw, barely missing.

Grievously wounded already, the last remaining ogre does not realize he is now alone on the field. Likely if he did, it would only encourage him! The ogre swings its hard from right to left and this time Hjalmar’s excellent shield work can’t save him from the giant’s axe. The blow axe blade bites through his leg armor, into his thigh and stopping at the bone. Blood runs down the inside of his armor from the wicked hit and his leg is numb from the pain. After such a blow, he is lucky to have a leg. However wicked the wound, he could still stand and fight.

The ogre barbarian rolls a 36 versus AC32 and does 24 pts of damage to Hjalmar.

Tolrin looks around as his enemies fall or flee from the scene of battle and tries to figure out what to do as he braces for another barrage of those infernal pellets. Moving closer to Hjalmar after watching him take the wicked blow and moves towards him. Instead of throwing his hammer at the ogre or using a spell on it, he casts a simple spell off to the western ridgeline. Several bobbing lights appear, revealing almost a dozen goblins widely spaced amongst the rough terrain there.

“Them giants will be back, fresh and using ‘heir axes this time, damn it! Move west and fall back towards the caves quick as ye can. I want that ogre dead ‘nd lets start working on them slingers! Whatever’s coming, I nay want to get caught in the open!”

Magnum’s charge is blocked by Hjalmar, but the priest moves forward to get a better angle. With the giant gone, he sends his Spiritual Weapon zipping across the snow to attack the last remaining ogre before it runs out of time. The axe swings for the ogre, but it sees the strange axe coming and side steps the blow somehow.

Magnum did not have an angle for a charge, but moved into a position for one next round. His spiritual weapon rolled a 13, missing the broad side of the barn, err ogre barbarian.

The slingers make for the same targets and the stones come whistling in. One bangs off Tolrin’s armor next to his ear and explodes, deafening him for a moment. “Ye little rothe shat eat’n goblins!” Tolrin bellows at the slingers. Another strikes Arman and his sensitive elven ears absolutely throb with pain.

As the barrage of exploding stones come flying into the group, four dark shapes with a rider atop them come surging out of the cave Tolrin wanted to head to. The four worg riders come out in a staggered line. One runs down the trail towards Arum and the second splits off and heads directly for Raltise. Each goblin has a shield and a long lance in hand, screaming at the party as they close for a charge.

“Ye’ve gotta be shatt’n me!” Tolrin exclaims. What he says next is unintelligable.

The barbaric ogre laughs at the turn of events, licks the blood from its axe and prepares to keep swinging, thinking it finally has the upper hand.

Arman and Tolrin suffer a -4 to initiative and a 20% spell failure from the pellets.

Bundok – 22
Duervar - 19
Arman - 17
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Worg Rider 4 - 15
Arum - 14
Raltise - 13
Ogre Barbarian - 10
Worg Rider 3 - 10
Magnum – 8
Worg Rider 2 - 7
Worg Rider 1 - 6
Tolrin - 5

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8750/trail10lm6.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail10lm6.jpg)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-13, 07:43 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 37
Move: 40ft.

Raltise winces slightly as his arrow hits Hjalmer, even if it didn't penetrate. He moves swiflty to Hjalmer's side, ducking low and driving the blueish blade of energy towards the ogre's head.

Right after his attack, whether he hits or misses, her glances at Hjalmer. "Are you alright? There are healing potions in my pouch, if you need one."

The fact that he doesn't even seem worried that he's standing right next to a frenzied, axe-wielding ogre is... rather creepy.

Moving to T-22... and I forgot to roll again. Ugh. Next post.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-13, 07:51 AM
Attack! [roll0]
Damage! [roll1]

Diarmuid
2007-11-13, 02:24 PM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57
Initiative: 22

Grabbing the Ogre Mage by the hair, Bundok begins dragging the lifeless (for now) body towards the wall of fire.



My push/drag limit is 1500 lbs, but I'm unsure how far I can drag 700ish pounds of ogre mage in a given round. Also dont know if the snow, ice, and blood would make the dragging easier or harder.



Shouting over the din of the battlefield, he calls out to his companions,

"If somone'o ye can throw some fire on this thing it'll stay dead, and then I kin git back to killing me some more o' them bastards. I didna' bring any oil or nuthin flammable wit me."

bchilders
2007-11-13, 10:07 PM
OOC: I assume by the time it gets back to me the ogre will be dead so...

Magnum
HP: 45
AC: 28 (32 vs giants)

Magnum will make his way over to Hjalmar and tell him, "After that blow you'll be needing one of these." Magnum hands him a bottle filled with a bluish liquid, "Not quite as satifying as ale but it does the job. I also got something up my sleeve to help us with these new puppy riders." Magnum places his hands on Hjalmar and says a simple prayer, "May your might find refuge in this servant and give him the strength and size to punish our enemies."

Cast enlarge person on Hjalmar. Lasts 5 minutes.
Quick question...you said potions act as if maximized right? If so thats 21 hp if not [roll0]

I'll also dismiss the spiritual weapon.

Katasi
2007-11-14, 01:05 AM
Arum continues cursing as the battle just pisses him off more and more. He heads to the nearest living enemy. If he can get into range for a scorching ray [within 35 feet] he will cast that.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If he can't get into range he will cast magic missile on the nearest living opponent

[roll2]

Katasi
2007-11-14, 01:07 AM
confirm roll for the critical if he uses scorching ray:

[roll0]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-14, 05:16 PM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 38/54
Initiative:16

Kelith will promptly turn south after killing the ogre and seeing the Worg Riders come running out of the cave. He will head towards the closest one to hopefully get an attack in.

Spells Cast
1st- 1
2nd- 1

ArmanMadero
2007-11-14, 10:10 PM
Arman was a little stunned at the damage his bolt did. And a little sickened. He was glad he was fighting on the side of good, rather than against the group he now stood with. Had he been a dark elf, he supposed it would have been exilarating.

The the pellets started hitting him again. By the GODS who the hell was peppering him with these! Once again his ears rang and he barely heard the retreat call from Tolrin to head towards the cave.

Seeing that the fight with the last standing ogre was in hand, and with no sight of the giants, he turned and headed towards the cave, in time to see four worg riders come over the hill in the direction he wanted to go.

Corellon spare him from this Hell.

Curling his hand like it was holding a ball and pointing all the fingers on his right hand foreward, like each digit was a single knife stabbing into the air, he once again drew power into him and aimed at the closest worg near him. "Diúracán déanta de draíochta cruth agus buail."

Moving to W24. Attacking WR2 with Magic missle. Shady, my dice good man...

mshady
2007-11-15, 05:30 AM
Bundok throws the ogre’s sword on the giantkin’s torso and folds its arms across its chest so they do not drag in the snow. He bends down and grabs the fallen ogre by its shaggy, oily hair and tries to pull it towards Tolrin’s fires before they expire. Dragging 700 lbs of ogre takes all of Bundok’s effort and he can only move it ten feet in snow, but it leaves sweat popping from his forehead and his chest heaving from the exertion. The snow itself makes it worse as he loses his footing and has to fight the snow building up in front of the ogre as he drags it. Looking about as he drags the beast, he sees no sign of the giants but can hear them pounding running. And then it stops. He tries to listen to what is going on as he drags the ogre along, but he cannot see past the slope.

The fight continues as the main group fights old enemies and new arrivals. Duervar has been close to several of the fights but not managed to swing his oversized pick at anything yet. That just frustrates him, out of pride and the need to contribute to protect his friends. This was dwarven work. Duervar doubted that absurd human who worshipped what was at best a jumped up fire elemental could withstand another hit from an ogre like that. As those things go, it was a love tap. With the nearest ogre dead, Duervar looked for bigger game. With the frost giants gone, he turned around and seen the slobbering ogre barbarian yank its axe from Hjalmar’s thigh and lick the blood from his axe and he knew what he had to do. Not realizing he was so close to it, he was too close to charge it and that was probably for the best.

Swinging his pick over one should, he steps within arm’s reach of the ogre. It doesn’t see him and certainly has no idea about the pain it is in store for. Duervar’s pick, with its long and deadly point, has a lot of muscle and momentum behind it as he swings it at the ogre. It catches the ogre in the back of its thigh as the military pick sinks into its flesh and comes out the other side. A powerful hit, but he had been aiming for the base of the creature’s spine. The ogre turns its long head around behind itself to see Duervar and it bellows at him, spittle coating the dwarf’s armor. It’s leg buckles under the weight and the ogre screams in pain as it puts weight on the leg as a broken bones grind against flesh. It stumbles but somehow remains standing…

Duervar rolls a 22 and does 12 pts to the Ogre Barbarian.

With ears ringing, Arman watches the worgs run down the trail with astonishing speed and split off in two groups. One was clearly heading for Arum Faer Wed, the cursing gnome. The riders hold lethal looking lances out in front of them, ready to spit the little gnome. The other seemed bound for Raltise. Unable to hear his own voice, or much of anything really, Arman chooses a simple spell and tries to maintain his own battle composure. It’s difficult with the blood on the field, the screaming ogre and rain of exploding stones all around him.

Curling his hand like it was holding a ball and pointing all the fingers on his right hand foreward, like each digit was a single knife stabbing into the air, he once again drew power into him and aimed at the closest worg near him. "Diúracán déanta de draíochta cruth agus buail."

Several bolts of raw magic streak from his hand once again, leaving a trail of red magical sparks in their wake. They dart and bob through the air and rake the black worg from nose to tail, snapping its head back hard from the impact and causing it to stumble from the hammer blows of the missiles. It gives a pained yelp but charges onwards towards Arum, hungry for the easy kill. Suddenly Arum is not the only mage cursing on the battle field.

Worg 2 takes 14 pts of damage from the magic missile spell.

With the ogre barbarian flanked by Duervar’s arrival, Hjalmar sees his own opening as the ogre roars at the other dwarf. With the ogre turned, Hjalmar swings hard for the ogre’s exposed back. His hammer flashes through the air and hits it hard just right of its spine as he had learned so many years ago. The fierce blow shatters the ogre’s thick ribs and drives fragments into its lungs, caving in the back of its rib cage with a wet crack. The angle of the blow is from the side though and the shock of it so close to the ogre’s spine separates vertebrae and slices its spinal cord.

Hjalmar cheers the blow and steps back to watch the results. At first, the ogre just seems stunned, but Hjalmar waits, knowing what is to come. The ogre’s big head turns back to face Hjalmar. A kind of clarity suddenly returns to the ogre’s face and its blood shot eyes glare at Hjalmar but its fierceness drains from its face. Blood dribbles from the ogre’s nostrils and its mouth as it breathes its last breathe. First its arms go limp and it’s bloody axe rolls from the its hand into the snow. Next its legs buckle and it drops into the snow with a thump. The outrages of numerous wounds have ravaged its body and it is a bit stunning even something as large as an ogre could keep fighting through so many wounds. With yet another foe dead under the Paladin’s hammer, he moves towards the trail and stands next to Raltise. Shield ready, the dwarf prepares to accept the charge. His leg bleeds, the pain is intense but the dwarf rides through the pain, taking pride in a new scar and his ability to withstand the blow.

Hjalmar rolled a critical hit and did 32 pts to the ogre barbarian. The ogre dies.

Hjalmar does not have long to wait. The swiftest of the worg riders comes plowing through the snow and levels his lance at Hjalmar’s head. The metal tip of the lance glimmers in the firelight as it searches for the dwarf’s head. At the last possible moment, Hjalmar raises his broad tower shield and the lance digs into the wood before it hits the wood and the lance shatters in a cloud of jagged splinters. The impact sounds like a thunder crack. Right behind the lance is the worg. It’s body slams into Hjalmar’s shield and it pushes him back several feet. The worg’s head reaches around the shield to try and bite Hjalmar. His hammer rises and falls and he cracks the worg hard on the head. It’s ear is pulped by the blow and it pulls its head back, shaking off the wound as hot blood stains its fur.

Hjalmar does 10 pts of damage to Worg 4 on an attack of opportunity.

In bowling Hjalmar backwards with the impact, it brought the worg and its rider within swinging distance of Tolrin. He whoops with delight as Hjalmar, the worg and its rider go sliding past him in a snarling mass. He swings his own magnificent hammer at the worg. The quick strike hits the worg on the shoulder blade, fracturing the tough bone and opening a nasty wound on the worg. However painful the blow, the bone prevented Tolrin from striking near its heart and killing the creature. It twists from the second blow and gives a second, pained yelp. Surrounded by the two deadly dwarves, the goblin atop the worg reaches for its mace but has a panicked look on its face.

Arum can see what is coming and curses his luck and this battle once again. Drawing on his remaining power, he casts yet another spell at his foes. For a brief moment, his whole body feels aflame as the arcane power surges through his body. He points at the closest worg, its lance lowered and heading his way and unleashes the spell. A thin, spiraling vortex of flame shoots from his hand and strikes the worg as its rider tries to veer the stubborn animal away to evade the spell. It hits the charging worg square in the head and the creature bursts into flames. Its rider tumbles off as the burning worg slides through the snow, its momentum carrying it forward as it writhes in pain. It’s fur mostly gone, the smoke creature twitches and dies in the snow not far from Arum. The goblin stands up, clearly shaken from the fall and debates what to do next with its life. Arum does into a defensive stance, praying he can dodge the oncoming worg.

Arum’s scorching ray does 36 pts against the worg 1. The critical hit was confirmed as the worg was charging and the effects of a bless spell.

With the ogre dead, Raltise takes a step backwards, turns and stabs at the worg with his short psionic blade. Stabbing at the worg’s neck, he hits but cannot put his full weight behind the stab as the worg moves its neck out of the way at the last second. The wound looks shallow but painful and may have nicked an artery judging by the blood on the blade. Raltise offers one of his potions to the wounded Hjalmar calmly as the second worg comes thundering towards him, lance aimed for his chest. Raltise faces the oncoming charge in an easy stance, watching the bobbing tip of the lance.

Raltise rolled a 15 and did 3 pts to Worg 1.

This worg rider has even less luck than the first. Just before the lance impacts, the worg stumbles on a rock hidden in the snow and it lurches forward. So does the lance as it is driven into the ground right between Raltise’s leg. The lance does not snap from the blow but it nearly carries the goblin off its mount before it legs go of the lance. The worg recovers from the stumble and it lunges for Raltise’s arm, but his arm flies away from the creature’s mount. Instead it gets a mouthful of a tough mithril chain shirt and it shakes Raltise hard, but it does no more than bruise the man. The frustrated goblin reaches for its mace and curses the stupid worg, thumping it with the mace itself. Having survived the charge, Raltise lunges forward and stabs the second worg right in the chest. The blade sinks deep into its muscled breast and it bulks up into the air, blood trailing from its wound. Raltise says nothing and tries to assess just how much damage he did.

The Worg Rider rolled a natural 1 on the attack and the Worg rolled a 25 on its own attack.

Raltise rolls a 22 and does 7 pts to Worg 2 on his attack of opportunity. Worg 2’s rider does 2 pts to the worg when it hit the stupid beast...

As the melee starts in earnest, Magnum offers a potion of his own to Hjalmar. "After that blow you'll be needing one of these." Magnum tries to hand him a bottle filled with a bluish liquid, "Not quite as satifying as ale but it does the job. I also got something up my sleeve to help us with these new puppy riders." Magnum places his hands on Hjalmar and says a simple prayer, "May your might find refuge in this servant and give him the strength and size to punish our enemies." Unable to accept the potion as his hands are full, Hjalmar grunts in surprise as Magnum casts the Enlarge spell on Hjalmar. Within moments, the dwarf grows significantly in stature. Now the size of one of the ogres, the snow poses no obstacle to his movements. Towering over the nearest worg, its rider looks up at the now giant dwarf and knows terror.

The last worg makes his charge on Arum. Both worg and rider feel great relief as the gnome used its deadly magic against the other worg as they jump over the smoldering corpse of the other animal. Lance held level, they close rapidly on the little gnome who is bobbing and weaving in front of him. As the gnome goes right, the goblin swings the lance in that direction but Arum shifts to the left at the last moment. The lance goes flying by the little gnome! The worg itself does better than the goblin on its back though and bites the gnome on the shoulder, shakes him and throws the cursing gnome to the ground hard. Blood on its lips, the worg snarls over Arum and prepares to tear out the gnome’s throat. With a flick of the wrist, Arum’s quick razor darts out and carves a thin bloody line across the worg’s face, which only enraged the animal.

The worg rolled a 21 and did 7 pts to Arum.

Arum rolled a critical hit with his gnomish quick razor attack and did 2 pts of damage to the Worg.

Kelith watched the scene unfold but could do nothing to protect Arum from the charge and felt great relief as the little gnome somehow survived. Knocked on the ground though, it was doubtful the gnome would survive the next attack. So he ran as hard and fast as he could, chain swinging through the air to try and attack the worg’s attention. Shaking its head from the wound the nasty little gnome had just given it, the worg looks at the oncoming human and back at the gnome, deciding it needed to finish him off quickly. Not quite in range yet, the wounded Kelith is well positioned to charge the worg and its rider.

Tolrin, his own ears ringing from the explosive rain, doesn’t even see the worg take down Arum. His own world is narrowed down to the worgs attacking the center of the group. With a fierce yell, the thin dwarf swings his hammer hard at the closest worg once, than twice. A bloody splatter erupts from each blow, spraying his tabard. The first drives the worg to its feet, its shoulder shattered from Tolrin’s blow. The second blow caves its skull in and the worg drops like a stone. “Got’s me a puppy! Next comes the runt!” Tolrin yells. The goblin, who hopped off the dying worg before it fell, looks between all its enemies and says something nasty as urine runs down it’s leg.

Tolrin attacks twice, doing 15 pts to Worg 4.

On cue, the next barrage of exploding pellets come raining in. One breaks against Tolrin’s armor but he shrugs off the effects. Arman catches one in the jaw this time and the blast deafens the poor elf. His delicate ears bleed from the trauma. Another catches Raltise in the shoulder and deafens him. The rest land on or near Magnum and Hjalmar, who take hits but don’t even seem to notice the blows…

Bundok – 22
Duervar - 19
Arman - 17
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Worg Rider 4 - 15
Arum - 14
Worg Rider 3 - 10
Raltise - 9
Magnum - 8
Worg Rider 2 - 7
Goblin Rider 1 - 6
Tolrin - 5

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2056/trail11nj1.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail11nj1.jpg)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-15, 06:01 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 37
Move: 40ft.

Raltise doesn't even seem to mind the sudden silence. He breathes deeply, holding his arms out to his side. His eyes flash, as crackling blue energy surges down his arm to wrap around the semisolid blade. He then thrusts forward, aiming for the worg in front of him!

Activate psychic strike. Attacking Worg 3.
Attack! [roll0]
Damage! [roll1] plus [roll2]

Diarmuid
2007-11-15, 10:46 AM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57
Initiative: 22

Frustrated at missing out on the rest of the fight, Bundok sticks his staff upright into the snow and takes up the massive sword of the ogre mage. Channeling the power of his bracers, he swings it awkwardly in a wide, powerful arc building a lot of momentum at the limp, lifeless neck of the blue-skinned behemoth.



Power Attack for 2, attacking unmoving Ogre Mage

[roll0] (unmodified for using a weapon too large, unsure on the penalty
[roll1]


Free Action, Drop Staff
Move Action, Pickup Sword
Standard Action: Sever Ogre's head
Free Action: Drop Sword



Pleased with his handiwork, he drops the beasts weapon and looks for a something to do with his new trophy. His eyes settle on the wall of fire and a smile splits his fuzzy face. Calling out to his comrades, he taunts the remaining enemies,

"Oy! Dinnae kill em all afore I kin crush some skulls. And dinnae ferget them frosties what ran away. They didn'a seem like the fight were outta them."

Katasi
2007-11-16, 12:30 AM
Arum lets out a small yell of pain as the warg bites him but otherwise ignores the pain as he slashes at warg.Annoyed, he casts another spell, another scorching ray to kill the enemy that just attacked him. not wanting to get attacked again himself he casts his spell carefully.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

bchilders
2007-11-17, 12:03 PM
Magnum moves over to attack the goblin who recently lost its mount. As he swings his axe he yells to his comrades, "If anyone needs healing make your way over here, we need to regroup before whatever else come our way."

I'll roll my attack and damage without modifiers because I can't open my character sheet from this computer. If you'll add my modifiers and remember I have bulls strength. Thanks.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

bchilders
2007-11-17, 12:05 PM
Confirm Crit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (can't remember if it's x2 or x3)

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-17, 04:21 PM
Kelith
AC: 20 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power, -2 for charging)
HP: 38/54
Initiative:16

Kelith charges the worg that is trying to kill his friend Arum swinging his chain violently, aiming for the large beast the goblin is riding on.

Attack- [rollv]1d20+11[rollv]
Damage- [roll0]

Spells Cast
1st- 1
2nd- 1

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-17, 04:22 PM
Eh, redoing attack
[roll0]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-17, 04:25 PM
Eh, redoing for death of worg
Confirm- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]

edit: so that makes a grand total of 22 Damage.

ArmanMadero
2007-11-19, 08:42 PM
The magic missiles streaked through the air at the worg and struck with brutal efficiency.

Then the little pellets started flying towards him and the rest of the group again. A single pellet exploded along his jaw close to his ear, and he yelped in pain. Covering his ear with his hand, he felt wetness and knew he was bleeding from his ear. Not good. His hearing on that side also seemed muffled. Not good.

Arman moved a little closer towards Arum and cast another group of missles. He had one of those left, and that might just help Arum out. Then he would see what was causing the pellets to fly and hit him.

Moving to W-27. Casting Magic Missile at WR2 AND R1. If you could split the missiles up that would be great. If not, then send all to WR2.

Katasi
2007-11-19, 10:22 PM
[Scratch the above.]

Arum uses cone of cold on the nearest goblin.

[roll0]
[roll1]

mshady
2007-11-20, 03:52 AM
Deciding that dragging a 700 lbs ogre, with all its kit, through two feet of snow by its shaggy hair was a bad idea, Bundok lets go of the ogre. He sticks his bloody quarterstaff in the ground, his frustration obvious. Stepping around the corpse, he picks up the ogre’s greatsword and stands parallel to the ogre’s head. It's lungs have started to move and it’s chest wounds gurgles ever so faintly. Spreading his legs for greater stability to support a more powerful swing, Bundok grips the greatsword. He places one hand on its long grip and a portion of the square, unsharpened bottom third of the 9 foot blade with the other. Lifting it as high over his head as he dares, Bundok brings the sword down with all the strength he can muster and the Ogre’s head is severed from its body. It rolls twice and comes to rest in the snow.

Pleased with his handiwork, Bundok leaves the sword buried in the frozen earth and looks for a something to do with his new trophy. His eyes settle on the wall of fire and a smile splits his fuzzy face. Calling out to his comrades, he taunts the remaining enemies,

"Oy! Dinnae kill em all afore I kin crush some skulls. And dinnae ferget them frosties what ran away. They didn'a seem like the fight were outta them."

Meanwhile, back with the main melee, Duervar moves behind Hjalmar and brings himself within swinging range of the goblin rider. Getting a good look at the goblin, he can see it is clad in crude lamellar armor and carrying both a mace and a shield, it is no easy target. Terrified by its predicament, it none the less bangs its mace off Duervar’s fine breast plate and disrupts the dwarf’s own swing. His pick bites deeply into the ground and he loses his grip on the weapon.

Duervar rolled a natural 1 and totally missed with his swing. No damage to the weapon but he loses his grip on the weapon. The goblin rolled a 2...

Arman heads closer to the trail and to assist Arum. He fumbles his way through the spell, a difficult thing when one is deaf to the world, but manages to get it off. Half of the magical bolts fly towards the nearest goblin rider and the other half head for the still mounted goblin attacking Arum. The missiles catch the closer goblin in the back and the head, nearly staggering the creature. It turns and snarls something foul at Arman and gets ready to attack him. The other missiles strike the goblin rider even harder and nearly topple it from its saddle. Seeing that both goblins are still on their feet, Arman can only marvel that these must be rather tough goblins.

Arman did 8 damage to the worg rider 1 and 9 damage to worg rider 2 with his magic missile spell.

Standing tall, Hjalmar looms over the goblin below him. The goblin looks up at Hjalmar as the dwarf’s now massive warhammer comes swinging down at the small goblin below. Amazingly, the little goblin side steps the blow and sends it’s shield out to bat the hammer just enough off course to cause it to miss. Hjalmar’s warhammer hits the ground with a hard thud. Frustrated, he recovers from the blow and readies for the next attack.

Hjalmar rolled a 17 and was unable to hit the armored goblin.

Kelith, seeing the dire plight of Arum, breaks into a hard charge at the attacking goblin. Stopping just within arm’s reach, he uses his own momentum and strength to send his chain in on a whistling arc towards the worg. The worg’s rider tries to prod his beast to move, but it is so intent on attacking Arum it hardly notices the command. The last thing the worg ever felt was the chain’s weighted and spiked tip catching it on the top of its skull, caving in the worg’s skull. Lodged there, Kelith yanks the chain back hard to recover it and both tips the falling worg over towards his direction and shreds what is left of the beast’s head. Unable to dismount in time, the goblin riding the worg is crushed beneath his mount’s weight.

Kelith does 22 damage to the worg after a critical hit, killing it outright. The goblin riding the worg failed his dismount check and took enough damage to finally die.

The goblin that Hjalmar just attacked wants to fall back to help its companion and moves five feet to attack Raltise. The human parries the swinging mace with enough force to cause the goblin to stumble back. The goblins snarls a complaint in response and readies another strike.

Goblin 4 rolled an 11 against Raltise, hitting nothing.

With the the fierce worg and its rider suddenly, and brutally, dead it leaves Arum mildly surprised to be alive. He was lucky he was not spitted on the end of the worg rider’s lance and carried off for a dinner. For lack on a better target, he casts a ray of frost at the dismounted goblin nearby. His aim, too unsteady from the recent wound apparently, misses the goblin and harmlessly hits the snow.

Arman rolled a 7 on a ranged touch attack.

The last remaining worg and its rider attack Raltise, already distracted by the second goblin. The worg snaps at Ralt’s extended arm just after he parries the other goblin’s flanking attack and sinks its teeth into his flesh. Shaking Raltise hard, the worg throws the man hard into the ground before letting go. The mounted goblin swings at Raltise while he’s on the ground, but he barely manages to roll out of the way of the blow. His arm throbs with pain and oozes blood from the wound, but he does not allow the pain to do more than tickle his mental focus.

The worg rolled a 26 on its attack and does 7 pts of damage to Raltise. It also succeeded on a trip check and threw Raltise to the ground.

Scrambling to his feet, Raltise tries to repay his own wound by attempting to drive his own blade into the worg’s neck. He infuses some of his own psychic energy into the blade and stabs at the worg. The strike is a little off from the center the worg’s throat but it is buried deep in the meat of the worg’s neck. It yelps in response to the wound and blood stains its grey cloak and spills on to the trampled snow.

Raltise does 9 damage to the worg with his mind blade.

Magnum steps past Tolrin and Hjalmar to launch his own attack against the closest goblin. Caught unaware in all the confusion and terror, the goblin never even notices the oncoming dwarf. Magnum’s axe comes swinging in low for the goblin’s head and severs its head. The goblin’s head rolls away down the hill and the rest of it flops over, dead.

Magnum scored and confirmed a critical, dealing 18 pts of damage to the goblin rider. It won’t be getting back up…

With two of its comrades down, the goblin that Arman had just struck comes charging in at the elf, screaming and swing its mace above its head. Arman swings at the oncoming with thick elven bow to try and disrupt or kill the charging goblin, but it bats the swinging bow aside with its shield with a hard BANG. Arman tries to twist and dodge out of the goblin’s way, even trying to block the oncoming mace with his own buckler, but the mace hits him hard on the leg and nearly breaks the bone. It throbs with pain and blood wells from the wound caused by the spiked mace. A mixture of blood lust and glee plays across the goblin’s face as it repays it’s attacker with an equal wound.

The goblin scores a critical on its charge and does 8 pts of damage to Arman.

With the slinger’s position illuminated by his dancing lights spell, Tolrin decides to start trying to deal with the very annoying slingers. Slinging his hammer, Tolrin reaches into his spell component bag and retrieves a pellet of bat guano and sulfur. Saying the right arcane words of power, the ball ignites in a blazing flame and he sends it streaking off after the goblins. The fireball spell explodes with an enormous whump, immolating four of the goblins in an explosion far, far larger than anything Arum had thrown. The blast is close enough for a hot wave of air to roll over the party. Several of the bothersome slingers run about for a moment like moving candles before falling over dead to be consumed by the flames.

This time, no exploding stones come raining down on the party. From five of the remaining slingers, a brilliant point of light appears in each of their hands. A moment later, five red balls of arcane energy come hurtling right back at Tolrin. The bolts pound into Tolrin, staggering the dwarf from the hammer blows. Right behind the bolts of energy comes a flaming red streak. The fireball blossoms on the center of the party, the blast vaporizing the snow and burning most of the party with the arcane fire. For a moment, the whole world goes red and white as the fireball washes over the group and subsides. Many members of the party are burned and singed from the explosion. Hot armor burns against flesh painfully and clothing smolders.

“Spread out, spread out! Gods be damned, a mage with the runts! Kill that worg and make for the caves ‘fore them giants bring back company! I’ll cover ye, but it’ll be hairy!!” Gesturing towards the cave where the worg riders, the slingers and the fireball all are coming from, Tolrin urges the group to charge into the teeth of it. Looking for the slingers, they appear to have ducked down under cover, moving to a different location.

Tolrin takes 15 pts from the magic missiles and 11 pts from the fireball, making his reflex save.
Raltise makes his reflex save, takes 11 pts.
Magnum fails his reflex save, takes 21 pts.
Duervar fails his reflex save, takes 21 pts.
Hjalmar MAKES his reflex save, takes 11 pts.

From behind cover in the rocks, one of the slingers blows a horn, it's tone high and shril. From behind the rise where the giant's disappeared, a second horn blows which is now familar.

From behind the group, a third horn blows.

Tolrin turns and looks behind him and flips up the beaver of his helmet as smoke and steam rolls off his armor.

"Oi lads, good news! There's more!" Tolrin yells.

The dwarf looks around the growing battle field, the bodies and his wounded friends and he wears a growing look of worry.

Bundok – 22
Arman - 21
Duervar - 19
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Arum - 14
Raltise - 13
Worg Rider 3 - 10
Tolrin – 9
Magnum - 8
Goblin Rider 1 - 6

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/389/trail12kw7.th.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail12kw7.jpg)

Diarmuid
2007-11-22, 11:02 PM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57
Initiative: 22

Scooping up his trophy and his prized quarterstaff, the surly dwarf, breaks into a run past the wall of fire, using it to shield his approach from those attacking the main group. At the end of his run, he deposits his trophy into the wall of fire to his left.

Full round action, run to Q5. Free action, drop head into Q6. I understand I may take some damage being so close to the wall, I'm ok with that.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-23, 05:51 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 19/37
Move: 40ft.

Raltise doesn't even seem to notice the fact that he's no a cripsy fried human. He brings his blade hand back, as those same blue-white crackles of energy flow down his arm and into the blade. He 'punches' forward towards the worg, with a cry of "Ha!"

Move action to activate Psychic Strike. Attack on the last remaining worg.
Attack! [roll0]
Damage! [roll1] [roll2]

bchilders
2007-11-23, 04:45 PM
Magnum
HP: 24/45
AC: 28 (32 vs giants)

Magnum pull out a couple of potions in each hand and quickly downs one himself. "If anyone needs healing come over here and take one of these," he tries to yell over the noise around him. He also tries to spot which one of the goblins it was that launched the fireball.

Spot: [roll0]
Drank a potion of cure mod for 21 hp back which should fill me back up.

ArmanMadero
2007-11-25, 12:39 AM
Arman watched as the magic missiles that he sent after the worg riders, did some damage, but not enough to matter. In fact, it seemed to make one of them mad and charge him.

Protecting himself from the onslaught was a bit difficult as he had forgotten how fast the little goblins were when mad. Or how hard they hit!

He felt the mace connect with his lig and cried out in rage as he almost felt the bone give way. That would be sore for a while.

"You little bugger!" he said. He moved foreard a little, realizing that the fireball that had hit behind him was getting a little warm.

Grabbing his bow with his other hand, and drawing his sword with his free hand, he attacked the rider, wanting to bring him down.

Moving to W-28. I'm drawing my sword and attacking worg rider #1. My bow is slung across my back. If this is not possible, I will drop it, but would rather not. I know that I get my five-foot move as a free action. Putting away my bow should be a free action also due to base attack bonus? Drawing my weapon is the Move action and then attacking is my standard. I think i got that right?

Diarmuid
2007-11-25, 04:16 PM
Drawing a weapon as part of movement is free if your BAB is at least +1. Sheathing a weapon is always a Move Equivalent unless you have the Quick Draw feat.

You just had your order of options off a little. You would sheathe your bow as a MEA, take your 5' step drawing your sword, and then take your SA to attack.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-25, 06:03 PM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 38/54
Initiative:16

Kelith will see Raltise moderately wounded and not seemingly worried about it; so he makes his way over to his side. "While I admire your spirit Raltise, you don't do us much good dead. But worry not, Kossuth's fire shall cauterize and heal your wounds very soon."

{{If I can this turn i'll cast Cure Light Wounds on him.}}

CLW Roll (+2 for augment healing feat): [roll0]

edit: Not charging anymore =D

mshady
2007-11-27, 04:29 AM
Bundok cradles the ogre mage’s severed head in one arm upside down to limit the bleeding and his quarterstaff in the other hand and races towards Tolrin’s Wall of Fire. The flame roar and rumble, but no heat is projected outwards from the magical flames. Instead, it is focused inwards with the intensity of a blasting furnace. Little of the snow around it is melted on the outside however, which seems impossible but none the less is true to his great relief. Tossing the head into the flames themselves gingerly, it sits a moment and explodes into flame. It quickly lights on fire and burns fiercely. The stink of the burning flesh is truly horrific though.

Locked in his own fight, Arman has his hands full with an angry, well armored, goblin. Cursing at the pain from the mace that nearly broke his leg, Arman steps to the south to put some distance between him and the next fireball. Holding his bow in one hand, he draws a magnificent black and silver rapier from his sheath with a sharp, rasping noise. Now armed properly, he feints at the goblin who bats at the rapier tentatively with its mace while trying to protect itself with fancy shield work.

Watching the goblin’s inspired but predictable movements, Arman slashes at the goblin with his rapier; Not exactly how one should use such a sword. Nonetheless, the goblin does not realize it and blocks the slashing attack with the rim of its shield with a clunk. Arman's swing is strong enough to send the shield wide and away from the goblin. Before the goblin can recover, Arman centers the blade and drives it straight through the goblin’s unprotected throat and out the other side.

Time freezes for a moment for the hapless goblin as Arman pulls the rapier free. The goblin drops its mace and shield and its hands tries to stem the terrible bleeding from the wound, but it soon topples over dead. With a flick of the wrist, Arman shakes the foul blood off his blade with a couple flicks of the wrist and bows towards the dead goblin. A red slick stains the snow and the goblin moves no more.

Arman scored a critical hit on the goblin and did 15 pts of damage with the rapier.

Duervar moves past the group towards the hills, eager to close with the enemy as he plows through the snow. It also serves to separate him so he will not be caught in the next fireball blast. As he moves, the big dwarf downs a potion to ease the burning pain from the fireball.

Duervar is healed 9 points by a CLW potion, bringing him to 43/55.

Kelith rushes towards the scene of the fireball; out of concern instead of theological curiosity. Seeing that Raltise is moderately wounded from the fireball and worg in front of him, yet seemingly unbothered by it all, Kelith tries to heal some of the young fighter’s wounds. "While I admire your spirit Raltise, you don't do us much good dead. But worry not, Kossuth's fire shall cauterize and heal your wounds very soon."

Kelith heals 14 hit points for Raltise, bring him to 45/51 hit points.

In no desire to meet what was coming up behind the group to block their escape, Arum decided it was high time to get moving. Debating between fleeing for the trail or stay in the snow drifts, he decides to stay closer to his friends. Being first to the caves may not be the best idea, after all. Only able to move 20 feet in the snow, Arum unslings his fine Darkwood crossbow as he was almost out of spells. At least it was a good crossbow.

Hardly acknowledging the healing from Kelith, but thankful none the less, Raltise decides to try and finish off the worg in front of him. With the worg flanked by Tolrin and its attention divided, Raltise thrusts his mind blade into the worg’s chest. The blade sinks deep into the worg’s chest and crackles with energy as the sword’s energy does further damage. Raltise yanks it out, it’s not a pretty site at all. The worg reels up on to its back legs, yelps and twists, falling down hard on its side. Its’ nimble rider dismounts just as the wild creature starts to flail around and lands on the opposite side. It tumbles, rolls and stands ready.

Raltise does 15 pts to the worg, leaving it wounded and unconscious.

Deciding discretion is the better part of valor though, the goblin withdraws from the melee towards the cover of its friends along the hill’s edge. It snarls and barks something nasty at the group and Tolrin replies in the same tongue. With no one he can attack and unconcerned with the fleeing goblin, Tolrin clasps his holy symbol and speaks an unrecognizable word. As a blue mist suddenly begins to form twenty feet away, Tolrin holds his hammer with his casting glove, buts open a potion and sucks down the contents. Spitting the tube into the snow, he seems to move less painfully. A moment later, the mist materializes into a large, brown mountain lion next to the fleeing goblin and Tolrin laughs. The big cat, its eyes glowing green, immediately swings at the astonished goblin with its big, meaty, paw and tears the goblin’s arm to ribbons. Seeing an opening, the mountain lion lunges forward sinks its teeth into the goblin’s arm and the force of the attack carries both the lion and the goblin to the ground. Poised atop the goblin, it roars at the helpless, screaming goblin than rakes its claw across the goblin’s face.

“Say hello to kitty!! Go get’em, boy!” Tolrin yells, than glances north.

Magnum stays in place and does the same as Tolrin, quaffing a potion and dealing with the worst of the injury and pain from the terrible fireball strike a moment ago. Offering a second potion, Hjalmar strides past him and the rugged dwarf looks seriously injured from the attacks and the axe that nearly took his leg. Magnum can only imagine the agony as Hjalmar takes the offered potion.

Both Hjalmar and Magnum are healed 21 points.

As the head sizzles and pops in the fire, Bundok can see the deep red flash from behind the ridge the giants ran over into the darkness. The flash subsides to a glow and the air is filled with momentary, magical, heat and an overpowering smell of sulfur. A bizarre, rattling, shrill scream is heard, like a screaming cockroach but much, much larger. It is as unearthly as it is unsettling and chilling.

The sound catches Tolrin’s ear and he turns to see the subsiding red glow.
“Bundok! Get yer fur covered arse over here right, blinking now lad!! Something bad is coming!”

When Tolrin looks back to see his mountain lion finish off with the goblin, two more ogres step out of the cave and roar. These ones wear breastplates of their own and carry both tower shields and a battle axe. From their defensive stance, it is clear they intend to block the cave entrance.

"I want those ogres down!"

Bundok 57/57
Arman 40/48
Duervar 43/55
Hjalmar 48/62
Kelith 38/54
Arum 31/38
Raltise 31/51
Magnum 57/57

Bundok – 22
Arman - 21
Duervar - 19
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Ogre 2 - 15
Arum - 14
Raltise - 13
Tolrin – 9
Magnum - 8
Ogre 1 - 5

Hit point totals may differ from your own. When I loaded your characters into my own wizards, it seemed a few did not max your HPs for the first 3 levels.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/2632/trail13ii7.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail13ii7.jpg)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-27, 05:05 AM
(OOC: Increased HP? I'm not complaining! ... So... map? >.>)

mshady
2007-11-27, 09:09 AM
Map posted as an edit to the previous post.

There will be some minor edits during the day on the post for formatting; nothing to impact your turns.

MShady

bchilders
2007-11-28, 08:42 AM
Magnum heads towards the cave opening. As he moves he puts away the remaining potions and begins another all to familiar prayer.

Casts enlarge person on himself

As his size increases he yells back towards Hjalmar, "I think the two of us brutes can handle some measly ogres...no matter how shiny their armor is."

Diarmuid
2007-11-28, 10:10 AM
Bundok

Not wanting to be the one caught alone near the ruckus the Giants were making, and not wanting to let Tolrin down, the ranger puts his head down, and chugs his little legs as fast as they will go through the snow.



Full round action: Run from Q5 to I13

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-11-30, 01:50 PM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 38/54
Initiative:16

Following the rest of the group Kelith approaches the new threat deciding on what the best course of action would be.

{{Pretty much just doing a double move action to get near the front (but still behind the tanks) and moving towards the relative safety of the caves}}

Butch
2007-12-02, 04:55 PM
Hjalmar

Hjalmar moves with remarkable speed as he sees the new threat. Anyone believing that you cannot run in a plate mail would be very surprised to see the tiny grumpy warrior. He somehow also finds the time to guzzle down potion, replenishing his strength.

Move to K30, drink potion.

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-03, 07:14 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 31/51
Move: 40ft.

Raltise moves towards the road quickly as soon as he spots those ogres, shrugging his bow off his shoulders and getting ready to grab it and knock an arrow.

Double move straight south to U-30. That's it. :P

ArmanMadero
2007-12-03, 11:51 PM
Arman thrust his sword through the goblins neck and pulled it out with swift efficiency. It feebly grasped the blood that was no longer pumping through its body, but to the outside, in an attempt to save its pathetic life.

It fell and twitched a few times, and then twitched no more.

Arman flicked his sword a few times to remove the blood fouling his blade, and then looked around quickly.

No more to fight nearby, which was good. He glanced at the magically conjured mountain lion and grinned as it finished off the last goblin that e could see. His eyes looked towards the cave and thats when he saw the two ogres.

Gods damn them. How many were there?

Sheathing his sword and taking up his bow once again, he fired a shot at the closest ogre and started to walk foreward.

Sheathing my sword. Taking up my bow and firing a arrow at O2 Taking a step foreward to V27

mshady
2007-12-05, 01:06 AM
Bundok 57/57
Arman 40/48
Duervar 50/55
Hjalmar 62/62
Kelith 38/54
Arum 31/38
Raltise 31/51
Magnum 57/57

Bundok – 22
Arman - 21
Duervar - 19
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Ogre 2 - 15
Arum - 14
Raltise - 13
Tolrin – 9
Magnum - 8
Ogre 1 – 5

With the head roasting on an open fire, Bundok decides his days of being so far forward are over and he makes a run for it. Plowing through the snow as fast as his stubby legs can carry him, Bundok moves close to the ridge line as the goblins higher up on the ridge take up new positions. His run brings him both closer to assumed safety and a new threat.

Seeing the arrival of the new ogres blocking their exit and all of his closer enemies dead or unconscious, Arman sheathes his still bloody rapier and readies his trusty black bow once again. He loads the arrow and draws the bow string to the tip of his nose as he looks down the bow for where to place his shot. However big a tower shield might be, it was not enough to cover the whole ogre. Arman’s arrow slices through the air and lodges deep in the ogre’s fleshy arm.

Arman Madero does 7 HP damage to Ogre 2.

Duervar begins to fall back towards the cave as well, more to close with the ogres then the relative safety of the caves. Already wounded by the fireball though, Duervar decides to take the prudent choice and slows long enough to chug down a potion as well.

Duervar moves 10 feet and drinks a cure light wounds, healing 7 pts.

Hjalmar moves towards the cave as quickly as he can. Thanks to Magnum’s spell, the snow proves to be no obstacle for the already burly dwarf. He makes quick progress towards the ogre’s position. As he moves through the snow towards the ogres, Hjalmar drinks down a cure medium wounds potion, healing the last of his wounds.

Hjalmar’s potion cures 20 hp, restoring Hjalmar to full health.

Kelith, wounded but certainly still on his feet, moves closer to the battle, his feet churning through the snow. It’s not easy going, but as he draws closer both the ogres watch his progress intently. Their beady eyes glare at him, but they do not move from their position. Arum follows along as best he can in the snow as well, his wound from the Worg burning as he moves along. Raltise is moving as well, moving south towards the trail and unlimbering his bow as he goes. Tolrin’s mountain lion runs quickly towards the hidden goblins on the ridgeline as well, looking for its next meal as it leaves the bloodied goblin behind it.

Magnum casts a second Enlarge Person spell upon himself, growing rapidly in size. No longer bothered by the snow, he moves up towards the cave as well to join Hjalmar in the inevitable fight.

As most of the group surges towards the cave to attack the two remaining ogres, Tolrin moves northwards instead of with the rest. As Tolrin’s wall of fire winks out, Tolrin casts another spell. This time, he lifts up into the air several feet and snow swirls around the now floating dwarf. In dwarven, he yells towards Bundok. “Clear out them goblins. I’ll be tak’n whatever’s coming down our way. Just get into that cave and don’t worry ‘bout me! Dwarves ho, lads!”

Again, the goblins rise from their positions and hurl their exploding pellets at the group but this time to little effect beyond irritation, which is a very unfortunate turn of events. The goblinoids mage casts a spell that sends a green globule of acid towards Tolrin’s oncoming lion, but the cagey creature twists out of its way with seeming ease.

As the ball of acid sizzles into the snow, the giants return to the fray. This time though, they are flanking something else. Standing at the same height as the two giants, clearly healed from their last appearance, is a white, insect looking creature with overlarge, glowing, blue eyes and a pincer mouth. It holds a long, wicked looking weapon and it screeches in announcement of its arrival.

Gapping at the new enemy for a moment, Tolrin yells to the group. “Ice Devil!!! Arman, with me! Get the giants first!”

Map and any edits will be up tomorrow evening. Lets try for the next turn by Sunday.

mshady
2007-12-05, 06:16 PM
Key -

FG = Frost Giant
ID = Ice Devil
G = Goblin
O = Ogre
L = Dancing Lights

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9779/trail14sh2.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail14sh2.jpg)

I'd like to see all posts in by Friday or Saturday.

Thanks,
MShady

Diarmuid
2007-12-05, 11:15 PM
Bundok
AC: 18 (+4 vs Giants. -2 for charging)
HP: 57/57
Initiative: 22

With nary a glance back at Tolrin, Bundok springs into action charging up the incline to the west towards the nearest goblin, his staff twirling through the air, coming down in a deadly, two-handed whistling arc towards the creature's legs in an attempt to knock it from it's feet.



Charging to E13

Power Attack: 5

[roll0] (Touch attack to intiate trip attempt. Charging +2, PA -5, +1 vs goblins factored in.)

If Touch Attack succeedss, [roll1] (goblin receives -4 for size difference)

If Trip is successful, [roll2] (Charging +2, PA -5, +1 vs goblins factored in vs goblin's AC -4 due to being prone)

If bonus attack vs trip is successful, [roll3]

bchilders
2007-12-07, 08:10 AM
Magnum
HP: 57/57
AC: 28 (32 vs giants)

Magnum will full charge towards the ogres at the cave front dropping his shield when he gets close to hold his axe in two hands. When he reaches them he will attack with all his might.

Attack:[roll0] (Ten foot reach}
Damage: [roll1]

If I can't reach this round I will continue the charge next round unless something drastic changes.

ArmanMadero
2007-12-07, 09:31 PM
Arman quickly moved towards Tolrin and stopped a few yards from him, his hands already in motion, one pointing forward towards the giants and ice devil, the other crushing the bat guano and sulfer. "Liathróid de tine"

He turns to Tolrin and smiles. "Let us see if they can take the heat..."

Arman will move to U-25. Casting fireball with the explosion point at R-04

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-12-08, 02:16 AM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 49/54
Initiative:16

Kelith moves northwest trying to get out of the ogre's lines of charge and casts CLW on himself.

{{[roll0]}}
Spells Cast
1st- 3
2nd- 1

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-08, 01:41 PM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 31/51
Move: 40ft.

Raltise continues towards the road, stepping onto the bare rock as he drops his bow down from his shoulder, catching it neatly in his left hand while simultaneously bringing his right hand forward. The bluish semisolid blade seems to be dislodged, and hurtles towards one of the orges in the cave mouth.

Move to T-33 and draw longbow (yay for having a BaB above +1!)
Attack (against ogre 1)! [roll0]
Damage! [roll1]

Butch
2007-12-10, 04:35 AM
Hjalmar continues his trek towards the ogres, moving his standard range straight westward.

mshady
2007-12-12, 10:04 AM
Heya folks, post will be up this evening. Sorry for the delays; Christmas stuff and all that...

mshady
2007-12-14, 02:00 AM
Bundok 57/57
Arman 40/48
Duervar 50/55
Hjalmar 62/62
Kelith 47/54
Arum 31/38
Raltise 31/51
Magnum 57/57

Bundok – 22
Arman - 21
Duervar - 19
Hjalmar - 17
Kelith - 16
Ogre 2 - 15
Arum - 14
Raltise - 13
Tolrin – 9
Magnum - 8
Ogre 1 – 5

A tremor shakes the ground beneath the feet of the band of goblins, who look around with unease, half expecting an avalanche. Instead, snow, rock and frozen tundra explode from the ground and Lythe jumps from the ground. She lands hard on the ground, landing on her right foot that flashes brightly as it hits the ground. The ground ripples in front of her in a cone like arc, two of the nearby goblins scream in terror as they are knocked to the ground. Lythe, standing on all fours and ready to spring at the nearest goblin, is delighted by her handiwork and laughs a gravelly laugh as the other goblins stare in confusion at the strange creature. A goblin with a sling and the dangerous goblin mage are upended on the ridge and shaking off the blow, cursing.

Bundok charges onwards towards the nearest goblin, crashing through the snow and stumbling on the stones but nonetheless has a great deal of moment. He takes a powerful swing at the goblins feet as he comes charging in, but his staff smashes into the ground instead as the goblin hops back away from a blow that would have likely crippled the goblin. Regaining its stance, the little goblin snarls at Bundok.

Moving forward along with Tolrin, Arman sends another fireball streaking towards the fierce looking Ice Devil and its accompanying giants. The fireball blossoms just ahead of the trio and they all disappear inside the sphere of fire for a moment. The giant on the right is charred black by the flame and catches on fire. It drops in the snow, flails about and soon moves no more. The second is equally charred and howls in pains, but its prior wounds are far less than its companion. It staggers and continues, somehow. The insect like Ice Devil does not even react to the fireball. The flames wash over it with absolutely no effect, no more bothered by the flames than if someone had splashed water upon its hideous face. It howls at Arman in defiance and gestures at the elf mage with its very long, lethal looking spear.

Arman does 56 pts to Frost Giants 1 and 2 and 9 pts to the Ice Devil, which made its reflex check and otherwise shrugged off the fire.

While Duervar runs forward towards the ogres, he is encumbered by the snow and unable to get within striking distance with his pick during his reckless run. Hjalmar, enlarged by Magnum’s spell, surges forward towards the ogre. Guessing Magnum intends to go for the near ogre, he charges at the far Ogre. Both ogres swing at Hjalmar as he charges in at the ogre, but their hard blows bounce off his shield and thick armor to no effect and some degree of shock. Equally matched in size with the ogre, Hjalmar pushes aside the ogres shield and aims a divinely empowered hammer strike at the ogre’s skull. Just missing the intended target, the hammer strikes the ogre’s shoulder, crunching and shattering bone and numbing its shield arm and tearing open the armor and flesh. The ogre howls in shock and pain at the fierceness of the blow.

Instead of joining the fray, Kelith wisely tends his own wounds finally and keeps an eye on Hjalmar. Casting a healing spell on himself, the priest’s wounds finally stop bleeding and the pain eases.

The unengaged ogre, with only a wound from Arman’s bow, concludes its axe is of little use against the heavily armored dwarf and launches himself at the dwarf instead. Hjalmar tries a backhand strike against the ogre but misses cleanly as it moves in. Having dropped its gear, the powerful ogre grabs a hold of Hjalmar and drives him down into the ground with a tremendous crash and clatter of metal armor on metal.

In the chaos, Arum decides to run forward and get within range of his last real spell against one of the ogres and is glad he is not following Tolrin instead. Raltise likewise moves forward, but also throws his mind blade at the ogre that just took down Hjalmar. In the confusion of the fray, the mind blade hits Hjalmar instead but again bounces off the dwarf’s impossibly thick armor with a clang before it dissipates.

Tolrin’s mountain lion surge forward from the site of its first kill and makes easy, bloody, work of the next goblin as well. The remaining frost giant tosses one of its boulders right at the floating Tolrin in a deadly flat arc. While the boulder hits exactly where he was when it was thrown, Tolrin merely shifts his position to the left by a couple of feet and the boulder arcs down the hill. Angered at yet another miss, it strides towards the goblins and Bundok instead of the flying Tolrin. Tolrin glides closer to the Ice Devil and gains altitude as well, flying now at 15 feet. From that vantage point, he unleashes a powerful bolt of lightning at the Ice Devil. It sizzles through the air and strikes the beast dead center in the chest, leaving a scorched mark, a bloody wound and a nasty rip in its exoskeleton. The beast shakes from the electric blast and howls in pain; a deafening, freakish sound. Tolrin laughs and turns back towards Arman.

“Nice work lad! Get that other giant and head fer the cave, I’ll take care o’this one!”

The Ice Devil moves forward and replies with its own spell against the airborne Tolrin. A blast of powerful sprays fourth from the Ice Devil’s hand and Tolrin disappears in a cloud of cold vapors and ice for a moment, a scream of pain cutting through the din of battle. “Damn ye to hell, ye foul thing!” Tolrin yells, but his voice is weak and he bobs in the air almost listlessly. The devil cackles in response, having just nearly killed the powerful dwarf with but a single spell.

As Tolrin and the Ice Devil battle, Magnum charges towards the ogre that has now pinned Hjalmar. The shieldless ogre, its back exposed to the onrushing Magnum, feels the bite of the dwarf’s axe as it slices through its back armor and deep into its chest. The monster goes limb from the blow and rolls off Hjalmar. The other ogre, already gravely wounded by Hjalmar’s charge, decides to make a run for it. It bolts forward and jumps down the slope. The clatters and grunts make it sound like a painful, but perhaps not lethal fall.

Magnum does 22 pts, slaying the ogre.

Three of the goblins still on their feet make a run for it as well. The other two, knocked down by Lythe's elemental magic, get to their feet and look around in terror. Having done their part and in no way able to fight such a party, they decide collectively to run for it.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/78/trail15rf2.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail15rf2.jpg)

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-14, 04:59 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 31/51
Move: 40ft.

Once his path is cleared, Raltise wastes no time. He breaks into a sprint, moving unnaturally fast as his feet leave shimmering blue footprints on the rock for a few moments.

He stops in the mouth of the cave, and spins around, knocking an arrow and adopting what could only be described as a 'sentry' stance.

Run action to C-31. Yeah, that's it. I assume that's the cave mouth...

Diarmuid
2007-12-14, 05:36 PM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants)
HP: 57/57
Initiative: 22

Bundok snarls as the goblin retreats from him, cursing the snow for his poor swing. He sweeps his vision across the battlefield and considers his options. The lone giant smoldering from the fireball, he puts his head down and takes his staff in hand like a giant club and runs at it, swinging for its knee with all his strength,



Charge to G11 and attack FG2
Power Attack for 2

[roll0] (+2 Charging, -2 Power Attack included)
[roll1]

Katasi
2007-12-14, 06:54 PM
Arum growls and cusses loudly as he tries looks around the battlefield. Sweet runs down his forehead as he gets very worried. Deciding to bring in some backup he casts summon monster 2 again to get another celestial wolf.

ArmanMadero
2007-12-14, 08:38 PM
Arman felt elation as the fireball exploded and the monsters within burned. One of the frost giants went down soon after being ignited and moved in the twitches of death. The other frost giant roared its outrage as it felt the stinging fires through its thick shaggy coat, but shrugged it off and sent a glare towards Arman.

Tolrin cast a spell and floated upwards higher as the lightning bolt arced from his fingertips to strike the insect like devil. It shrieked loudly and cast its own spell in response, striking Tolrin with clorful waves of pulsing energy. Tolrin seemed to have been struck hard, for when Arman looked, he seemed out of it like he had just woken up after a hard night of drinking.

Arman looked back to the still alive frost giant. Tough buggers. Arman quickly went through what remained of his spells and picked one that would work for a short bit. Maybe even finish the frost giant...

Fishing out a few items from the pouch at his side, he grabbed a dart in his other hand and made a motion as if he were casting it, feeling the waves of magic course through him. "Saighead de aigéad"

A green arrow appeared as he thrust the dart in an outward motion from the tip, and streaked its way towards the Frost Giant.

Arman casts Melf's Acid Arrow at the remaining Frost Giant

bchilders
2007-12-16, 02:01 PM
Magnum considers for a moment either holding the mouth of the cave or moving to help his comrades. His combination of not being able to sit still and never being able to sit out when there is action to be had causes him to move out toward where Tolrin is floating. His holds up his hands and asks for his gods power once again.

Casting Searing light on the Ice Devil or if he is down on the giant. If neither of those options are available he will move toward Tolrin to heal him.

Ranged touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-12-16, 03:46 PM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 49/54
Initiative:16

Kelith heads toward the mouth of the cave now that all the ogres guarding it are dead and lays his hands on Raltise healing him again.

{{Cure Moderate Wounds- [roll0]

And my health is 49, not 47, not sure if it was a typo or if you didn't think I could heal +7. I know regularly you can't get a +7 to a CLW spell but i have a feat that gives a +2 per spell lvl to points healed; even over the max. }}

Spells Cast
1st- 3 out of 7
2nd- 2 out of 5

mshady
2007-12-19, 08:54 PM
Lythe charges towards the dangerous goblin mage, now on its feet and over its initial surprise at the geodite’s arrival. Lolloping across the stone towards the goblin, her right fist strikes the goblin hard and the sharp crack of ribs can be heard. The creature stumbles, its eyes roll into the back of its head in pain and howls, grasping its broken ribs before it keels over in the snow unconscious from the pain. Victorious, Lythe pokes it with her stony arm and looks towards the giant and Ice Devil than back to Raltise, unsure of what to do next.

Lythe does 9 pts to the goblin.

As Lythe deals with the goblin mage, Bundok decides to charge the wounded frost giant that is approaching him. The giant watches the angry dwarf running towards him, laughs and takes a mighty swing at the onrushing dwarf and its nearly impossible for him to miss. Bundok’s armor is enough to stop the giant’s axe from splitting him in half but the flashing axe bites through his armor, through his muscles and ribs and tears a bloody furrow right across his chest. Gravely wounded but far from dead or even deterred, Bundok slams his quarterstaff hard into the giant’s gut that nearly doubles over the giant from the force of the blow.

The frost giant’s attack of opportunity does 21 pts to Bundok. Bundok does 17 pts of damage to the frost giant in return.

While Bundok is bravely attacking the giant, Arman withdraws a dart from his belt. Saying the proper arcane words, the dart flies out towards the giant and it turns into a sizzling arrow of acid. Projecting it towards the distant giant with his mind, it strikes the giant’s exposed neck. It screams in pain as the acid sizzles and burns its flesh and the only thing preventing it from being a mortal wound immediately is the giant’s thick neck muscles. The giant bats at the acid with its free hand frantically, trying to make the pain stop but only manages to burn its own hand instead.

Both Duervar and Hjalmar move forwards towards the fray. Hjalmar heads directly for the giant while Duervar moves towards the Ice Devil. Kelith moves south towards the road and Raltise to heal the wounded warrior and almost completely heals him of all his wounds.

Arum, meanwhile, sees the desperate straits that Tolrin is in and calls fourth another summoned wolf. The animal appears in a puff of magical blue smoke with a golden flash far in front of the gnome. It sees the devil and the comparatively diminutive animal charges towards the devil through the snow. While it obviously has no hope of defeating such a foe, the wolf at least hopes to distract the fiend. Raltise, freshly healed, dashes towards the cave mouth and peers inside for a moment to see if anything else will come charging out. Satisfied, he turns and readies his bow for whatever comes next. He is, however, about the only one at the cave mouth.

The wounded giant, seeing the dwarves moving towards his and grievously wounded as it is, decides his best chance of living resides with staying close to the Ice Devil. The giant back peddles away from Bundok and the rest and quaffs a potion as he does so, partially revitalizing the giant yet it still looks to be in sad enough shape it may still die later of its wounds. It coughs and gags as it moves and it wipes a bloody froth away from its mouth.

Seriously wounded, burned and nearly hypothermic from the devil’s ice spell, Tolrin decides to take advantage of his maneuverability and slides back through the air towards Magnum and Duervar. His mountain lion surges forward towards the devil, paralleling Arum’s summoned wolf. Calling out to Magnum, Tolrin yells “Lad, little help with me wounds? I’ve gots me a trick for that their devil. All ye, keep yer distance and careful o’using magic on it. The bloody thing can shrug it off better ‘han a drow! And whatever ye do, don’t touch it! Now ye two get the HELLS back! And would someone please kill 'hat frakking giant!” With that, Tolrin withdraws a scroll and reads from it quickly and a nimbus of blue light envelops him.

Instead of casting a spell at the devil, Magnum moves to heal Tolrin instead. Having to jump to reach his floating leader, Magnum none the less is able to spontaneously convert his searing light spell into a cure medium wounds spell and manages to cure much of Tolrin’s most recent wounds and eases the dwarf’s pain.

Magnum cures 25 HP of damage on Tolrin.

The Ice Devil moves south towards the group, its feet crunching snow and stepping on at least one body, pulping it, as it moves. It utters some foul incantation and chops its now shimmering spear through the air. The spear tears a rift in the air as it moves, causing a fiery wound in the air. The wound widens into what can only be a cylindrical gate to the Hells themselves, and the Ice Devil shrieks and chatters into it. The portal pulses, bulges and widens for a moment than collapses. Much to the devil’s dismay, none come to aid it. It shrieks again in protest and pounds its spear into the ground in frustration and eyes Tolrin, who is floating and grinning at the devil. He yells something back at the devil in its own tongue, which evidently only provokes the creature further. Duervar looks up at Tolrin and yells at him.
“Ye sure ‘hat was a good idea, Sonnlinor?”
“No, but it made me feel better! Haha!”

The last remaining goblin looks at the battlefield, the smoke, the corpses and renewing battle. Looking at its own meager weapons and shield, it tosses them aside and runs for hills. Lythe claps and hoots as the creature runs.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2940/trail16vq7.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trail16vq7.jpg)

Katasi
2007-12-19, 10:00 PM
Hearing Tolrin Call, Arum directs his summoned wolf to attack the next closest enemy instead, then casts Summon Monster 1 to get a celestial Badger to help out as well.

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-20, 10:06 AM
Raltise
AC: 26
HP: 49/51
Move: 40ft.

Lythe hears Raltise's voice directly in her mind. This would be odd for any other earth elemental, but Lythe? She's used to it. "Lythe, to me. Help me hold the cavern entrance."

Raltise gets ready to shoot at any enemy that comes too close to the cave mouth. WHich counts as a readied action, I guess.

Attack! [roll0]
Damage! [roll1]

bchilders
2007-12-20, 02:50 PM
Magnum reaches to his limits to heal Tolrin one more time before following orders and moving out. He moves back in the direction of the cave just to be sure nothing else comes out.

Convert a 2nd lvl spell to cure moderate: [roll0]
edit: maybe I'll let you roll my heals because apparently I suck at it

ArmanMadero
2007-12-21, 12:30 AM
Arman let loose a growl of frustration as the Giant took what appeared to be a healing potion. It still looked like it was getting ready to go down. Maybe this next spell would finally help to do it in.

Grabbing a rolled up paper from his pouch along with a small flexible steel rod, he bent it around in a circle and said the words of Art that would form his will from the scroll.

Dofheicthe cruach greim seo arracht

He aimed his spell at the frost Giant and hoped that in combination with the acid arrow, it would soon die.

Casting Hold Monster on the Frost Giant from scroll. Shady check messages please.

Diarmuid
2007-12-22, 01:42 AM
Bundok
AC: 18 (22 vs Giants, -2 charging)
HP: 36/57
Initiative: 22

Bundok had barely noticed the axe smashing through his chest, so focused on crushing the giant was he. But as the beast retreated, he felt the dull throbbing and realised it wasnt adrenaline causing him to pant and breathe so heavily, it was likely a bruised lung that he would need to get looked at, and soon.

But before any of that, he was a proud dwarf in service to the Forgesmith and he would finish what he started. Unfortunately, the damn things legs were much longer than his own, and only a brutal charge would bring him within striking distance again and that would leave him vulnerable...better end it fast then.



Charge to O11, 2-handed attack with Quarterstaff on FG2

[roll0] (+2 Charging, -2 Power Attack included)
[roll1]

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-12-27, 01:11 AM
Kelith
AC: 22 (w/Shield of Faith, animalistic power)
HP: 49/54
Initiative:16

If possible i'll make my way to Tolrin and cast Cure Moderate Wounds on him. If I am unable, I will move towards him hoping to get to him the next round. (You can roll the heal for me if i can make it this round, just let me know if i cast a spell).

Spells Cast
1st- 3 out of 7
2nd- 3 out of 5

mshady
2007-12-28, 10:50 AM
Lythe looks over at Raltise and at the giant and ice devil and back at Raltise, debating on what to do for a moment. Not a brave one before a fight, the geodite had an odd streak for bravery once she was actually in the fight. Brave but not stupid and out of realistic range of her own magic, Lythe retreats towards Raltise.

Badly wounded in his previous charge, Bundok nearly slew the giant with his quarterstaff. A dwarf slaying a full sized frost giant with a staff is no doubt a rare to unheard of feat, but he was narrowly robbed of such glory. How much punishment can these giants take? How much more could he take? Taking his staff in both hands, he raised it over his shoulder and launched into a reckless charge at the giant once again, following the path in the snow it just plowed for him. Screaming an incoherent battle cry and his vision blurred from the impact and blood loss, Bundok nears the giant and narrows his profile. The frost giant is surprised by the dwarf’s daring lone charge and brings his axe back over his head for a powerful downward sweep at the little dwarf. For the first time all day, the giant smiles…

“You dead, stone eater!” The giant roars and swings his axe at the oncoming dwarf. The axe flashes downwards at Bundok but the timing is slightly off. Instead of cleaving Bundok in half, the axe bites deep into his shoulder and rakes down the side of his chest, cutting chainmail and breaking ribs. The brutal axe’s momentum carries it into his thigh, carving a bloody furrow of flesh. The pain is excruciating to nearly blinding, but his chain shirt kept it from being a mortal wound. The sheer force of the blow staggers Bundok, the breath his driven from his lungs and the pain from breathing in again is incredible, yet the dwarf continues his mad charge. Leaping at the giant, he lands on its outstretched arm as it tries to yank its axe from the tundra and swings his staff with all the strength he has left at the giant’s sizzling neck wound. The quarterstaff swings true and a tremendous slap echoes down the valley as Bundok connects with the fleshy part of giant’s neck. The already abused wound opens up and blood flows freely and the giant’s throat is nearly pulped by the blow. Sliding off the giant’s arm, the giant drops it’s bloody axe and clutches its throat before falling backwards into the snow. Not quite dead yet but well on its way, the giant breathes shallowly and does not otherwise move.

The Frost Giant rolled a 30 on its attack and did 23 pts to Bundok. By contrast, Bundok rolled a 26 and did 16 pts of damage on a power attack.

Arman readies his scroll and watches Bundok’s mad charge into the frost giant’s waiting axe and tries to get his spell off before but is too late. The dwarf somehow survives his charge and fells the giant instead somehow! So instead, looks at the approaching Ice Devil. Taking a deep breath, Arman completes the spell and a shimmering wave of blue energy reaches out from Arman towards the creature. He knows it’s a long shot and knows how resistant to magic large fiends were, but he hoped his command of the weave was flawless and the weave was with him. For a moment, the ice devil turns its head in Arman’s head as the spell connects with the devil’s skull and it brandishes its frightening looking spear at him before it suddenly, inexplicably, blessed freezes in place. That it is frozen yet still glaring at Arman is a bit chilling, especially as he knew it was fully aware of what was going on. Tolrin rotates in midair and looks down at Arman, surprised by what just happened but says nothing. Suddenly, he can feel the devil reach into his mind and speak to him in draconic with surprising intelligence.

It is stupid to distract a devil from its prey. Run, little elf, run for your life! I am coming.

Arman rolls the spell resistance and will save of the giant and lands a Hold Monster against the devil!!

Closer to the trail, Arum summons a second animal into the fight although he knew it could do little more than distract or possibly trip up such a large fiend. Heedless of any such concern, the newly summoned badger bolts towards the devil but doesn’t quite reach it. The wolf, however, does and leaps at the devil’s exposed neck and tries to sinks it’s teeth into the unmoving creature’s tough exoskeleton but it’s bite just isn’t strong enough to harm it. The wolf falls to the ground and shakes its head and looks over at Arum, wondering exactly what it is supposed to do.

“Keep fallin’ back, Sonnlinor?” Duervar yells to Tolrin. Tolrin gestures towards the cave entrance and Duervar falls back, reluctantly. He might not pray to the Gods, but he certainly believed in what was in front of him and no desire to come to grips with it. Bravery had its limits, although Bundok seemed to be stretching those today…

Hjalmar, however, had no such qualms. Now a giant amongst dwarves and no longer encumbered by the snow, the big dwarf charged at the inert devil heedless of Tolrin’s orders. He knew the magic would not cage its mind for long, but he hoped to hurt it badly with this charge and if the magic held just long enough, finish the creature. Touching his holy symbol and uttering a prayer, his hammer glows with divine energy. Rushing forward, Hjalmar brings his hammer back and swings at the Ice Devil’s hip. The hammer smashes into the devil’s hip and pulverizes flesh and bone beneath the powerful blow. Bits of exoskeleton fly through the air and the Ice Devil screams in pain telepathically, nauseating everyone. The devil totters on its crippled leg and blood streams down its bluish scales, sizzling from the divine energy.

Hjalmar uses a smite evil and scores a critical hit on the Ice Devil on a charge, doing 68 pts of damage!!!

As Raltise stands guard at the cave entrance, Tolrin takes advantage of the good fortune. Casting a quick spell, he sends his hammer flying unerringly towards the Ice Devil’s eye. The hammer arcs through the air and strikes the fiend in an explosion of gore and shatters its skull. It totters for a moment and keels over into the snow. Bobbing up and down in the air, Tolrin lets out a victorious whoop as the fiend dies and its body dematerializes in a puff of reddish smoke.

Tolrin casts true strike and scores a critical hit, dealing 57 pts with his hammer.

“Well, here I ‘as getting ready for a real fight and that their devil went down like a gimp goblin!” Tolrin laughs. “Damn good job all ‘round, folks. Bundok, yer a crazy brave bastard! Don’t do that again! Arman, nice work with yer spells and Hjalmar, nice timing on that charge!”

Kelith and Magnum walk up to Tolrin, who is now resting on the ground and use their spells to finish healing his wounds. Looking over towards the way they came, four ogres with shields and axes stand blocking their return. Three of them look towards their leader in indecision and both groups look at each other for a few moments before they break and run.
“Lads, group up on me and tend yer wounds as best ye can. Someone summoned ‘hat damned devil ‘nd either they’ll be more where ‘hat came from or we’ll be dealing with…. Oh, here we go again…”

An extended horn blast echoes down the valley, louder and longer than the ones prior. Looking around, nothing seems to happen for a minute. Atop the ridgeline to the north, four polar bears covered in what could only be plate drawing an elaborate white sleigh appears, carrying what appears to be someone of human height. The figure dismounts and stands next to the sled and a light appears in their hand, revealing a tall human woman with pale white skin, black hair and fair appearance. She is clearly armored, but wears no furs or any sort of protection from the elements. She holds a fine shield in one hand and what is clearly an axe at her side. The woman addresses the group in a soprano Illuskan.

“My, my you are not what I was expecting. You’ve slain… many of my followers.” The woman looks around. “May the cold cleanse them if they were cowards! Although, perhaps if they stayed, they’d join the rest and what good would they be to me then?” The woman laughs quietly, but the wind carries it down to the group. “I am the Frostmaiden Livius, and you are victorious today.”

The distant woman bows her head in the group’s direction.

“I was asked to go to a great deal of trouble to stop you from coming here today. I sacrificed a great many followers of my followers to do so...” The woman steps forward from the sleigh, looks around and seems to sigh. Picking up a stone, she casts it at the body of a fallen giant. “Oh well.” From behind the rise, two more Frost Giant’s appear wearing plate armor and flank the sleigh. They stand calmly, axe in hand.

“So today is not a… complete waste for me, will you kindly pass on a message for us? Tell the Stone Council of Hundlestone that they have only one protector and remind them the Spine of the World has only one ruler – the cold. In recompense, Auril’s Chosen demands a much larger tribute when they come visit me tomorrow, or they’ll find winter to be much… harder this year. You’ll find me much… easier to satisfy than him if he has to take wing to exact payment. They know me and know I speak truth”

I leave the amount of increase open, but warn them the greater the increase, the greater the penance! You dwarves cannot protect them from the cold or keep the Icewind Pass open in the face of the snows. The Spine is His. Winter is coming. He demands proper respect in Auril’s; respect your arrogant Sonnlinor, Protector of the Dales, should also remember is due. We watch your coming caravan and it is time tolls be paid for passage northward. Resist us and you’ll find our forces are as strong and endless as the oncoming storm.” She laughs lightly and gestures at the battlefield.

“Those earthworks were ever so much trouble for us. Congratulations on defeating my champion, by the way. Oh, and help yourselves to the spoils when I leave; I have no use for the belongings of those who failed me. Rather sends the wrong message to the rest, don’t you think?”

Again, the woman laughs and the giants do as well, although it seems a bit forced. “Do ye have a reply for me today, Ambassador? Your silence surprises me.”

Tolrin steps in front of the group, his face red and he is clearly angry.
“Oh lass, I got a reply for ye. Yer not going to like it though…” Tolrin brandishes his hammer and swings it through the air casually, its magic leaving an azure trace in the air. The giants tense and the bears turn towards the group, armor clattering and teeth barred.

“As diplomatic as ever, aren’t you Tolrin? You have what you came for, messages have been given and now I ask ye to finish your business and go home. I’ll await your own reply later. A war this does not have to be. Anything else before I depart? Or do ye wish to continue this fight further?”

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-28, 11:19 AM
Raltise stays perfectly still and silent, still standing in the mouth of that cave. He hears everything being said, of course; the cold air carries sound rather well. His bow is still drawn, and an arrow still nocked; the arrow is, in fact, pointing directly towards this strange woman's neck. His face is, as usual, a complete blank; eyes glow faintly, the tip of the arrowhead taking an odd blue sheen.

ArmanMadero
2007-12-28, 02:43 PM
Blessed Mystra! It Worked!! Arman held his breath, afraid that if he let it out the spell would break. He could still feel the Power of the Art sparking in his eyes, as the aftereffects of casting left his bewildered. But not for long. With a startling realization, he knew they had to kill the Devil, and quickly!

It was a chance he had taken, shifting the spell to the Ice Devil. And It was an even bigger chance that it had worked at all.

The resounding words of the Ice Devil stayed in his ears, as he started walking forewards towards where Tolrin, Bundok and the devil were.

Just then Hjalmar and Tolrin both stuck the Ice Devil, and Arman watches as it sinks the the ground, and start to disipate in red smoke.

Congratulations from Tolrin reached his ears as he thanked everyone. Rolling up the rest of his scroll and sticking it back in his pouch, he pulled a slim wand from his belt and used it on himself. Warmth flowed through him as the wands healing powers cured his hurts.

Just as he was about to walk foreward once again, the ogres near the cave entrace ran off, and a loud piercing note split the air. Arman looked in the direction of the note, and watched as a sled drawn by polar bears tops the ridgeline.

Surprise filled his eyes, as one of his favorite stories of childhood came to life in reality. He expected a giant lion at any moment, but snapped out ofit, knowing that the Witch of Narnia, was just a story, and this... well this.. was definately real. Along with her maniacal laughter.

Announcing her name as Frostmaiden Livius, he listened as she demanded tribute from the Stone Council. Arman let the gears of his mind work, not knowing what was going on. Mystra knew, they would probably find out soon enough.

As Frostmaiden Livius talked about Auril's Chosen, Arman wondered. Very few things "took wing" in the cold, and fewer of them lived in it. Arman kept walking towards Tolrin, hoping that his thoughts were not correct on one hand, and wondering if they were on the other.

Moving to Tolrin

Arman soon reached where everyone was gathering and he turns to Bundok.

"Bundok, if you would step closer to me, I can help you without wasting your potions that we may soon need. Anyone else wishing healing, please, step forth."

Using my Healing Wand once on myself, I think that should cure all my wounds, and as many times on Bundok as I need to to cure all his. I will also use it on those who wish healing.

Katasi
2007-12-28, 03:01 PM
Arum looks at the woman. He then looks back at Tolrin. He then directs his wolf and badger to get as close to her as possible and stand ready. He also takes this chance to load his crossbow.

Diarmuid
2007-12-28, 10:19 PM
Bundok
Hit Point: 13/57

Bundok allowed himself the briefest of smiles as he watched the giant fall beneath his mighty blow. His mirth did not last long though, as the adrenaline could only hold the pain at bay so long. His breath came in rasps, and his entire side would barely respond to his commands.

Never one to leave things to change he gripped his staff like a spear, and brought it down point first into the eye of the unconscious giant as far as his one arm would allow. Spitting on the thing, he began the tedious process of limping back towards the group.

At the sounds of the new approachers, he knew full well he would be of little help and instead fell as flat as he could, pulling the white outer layer of his cloak over him. He listened intently to the exchange and though he is a brave dwarf, he did not wish to continue this fight this day.

He waited in his hiding place for Tolrin's answer.

[roll0]

bchilders
2007-12-29, 12:27 PM
Magnum

Magnum moved towards the rest of the group and started to make his way towards Bundok but saw that Arman had it under control. He moved to the side of Tolrin standing tall and showing off the size his god had blessed him with. Trying to make it clear to this witch that they were not afraid and not to be messed with.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2007-12-29, 02:36 PM
Kelith

Kelith will run to the aid of Bundok with Arman and give him a quick charge from his Wand of Lesser Vigor. Between him and Arman he will help heal whoever needs it, trying to save the rest of his spells for the day for any further battles they might come across.

He constantly keeps a peeked eye out on the Ice Princess, ready for action if it has to come to it; although seeing the shape of his group he would rather it end peacefully.

mshady
2007-12-29, 04:25 PM
Tolrin looks around at the rest of the group, the blood, smoke and the nearly two dozen bodies laying across the battlefield. Gripping his hammer tightly, he looks between the heavily armored giants, the armored bears and the woman and becomes tense.

“I know what you’re thinking, dwarf. Don’t. Your magic is spent, your escort is wounded, you can barely move in this snow… what’s there to gain? Kill me and then the Winter King WILL come and then what? You can’t fight everyone. You can’t fight the winter. This land has many Gods and all require respect if you wish to live in their realm and live in their favor. Is that not unreasonable? Is that not the way of things? I am not asking for your surrender.”

Livius reaches for her axe and holds it at her side and waits patiently as the two groups watch each other warily. Lowering his hammer, Tolrin nods.

“We’re nay as spent as ye think… but not today. I’ll take yer damn message, more to get an explanation o’what in the Hells’ going on though.” Tolrin manages to grind out.

“As wise as you are stubborn. Very well then… another day perhaps?” The woman’s sing-song voice floats through the air but her question carries no real menace.

She waits for any response from Tolrin or the rest of the group for a moment and returns her axe to her belt. Swinging lightly back on to the sleigh, she snaps the reigns twice and the massive bears roar and plunge through the snow, taking Livius back over the ridgeline. The giants both glare at Bundok still after watching him perform a coup de grace on the one fallen giant. One crunches through the snow to check on the other one that Arman’s fireball felled and looks it over. Shaking its head sadly, it stands and kicks some snow on it to cover the worst of its wounds and walks away.

Slinging his shield on his back and putting his hammer back on his belt, Tolrin takes a deep breath and looks down, his eyes closed for just a minute.

“I ‘hink things are a bit more complicated ‘han I thought here. Lot to discuss ‘hen we get back. Check the bodies, see if anything is left alive and keep it that way if ye can. Strip the rest and lets meet in the cave. Arman, Raltise and Lythe, ye three watch over the rest while we do a quick search.”

Tolrin rises into the air and moves towards the ridgeline and floats there until his spell ends, watching the sleigh go and says not a word. As the spell ends, he returns to the cave entrance and sits, clearly lost in thought.

Diarmuid
2007-12-29, 11:05 PM
Bundok

The battered and bloodied dwarf gladly accepts all forms of healing from his companions.

Currently down 44 hit points, will let you all with healing magics figure out best way to spread my burden around, heh.

He trudges through the troughs in the snow already dug by the battle moving and gathering anything he thinks might be of value and drags what he can into a heap for someone else to check for magic. He pries a tooth from each of the ogres and giants that fell and sticks them in a pouch at his side.

weapons (though who's going to use any big magical weapons, eh...maybe they can be traded/sold), armor, jewelry, etc...standard battle looting

Butch
2007-12-30, 10:18 AM
Hjalmar

The heavily armored warrior stands his even though the threats are all vanquished. He pays little attention to the lady, standing away in the distance leaning on his great hammer. He isn't fatigued and looks sharp, like the experienced old soldier he is, all the time prepared for any unexpected encounters.

He mutters something to himself and if you'd stand close enough to him you'd hear that it's a prayer.
"Moradin be praised"

bchilders
2007-12-30, 10:41 PM
Magnum

Magnum makes his way to the cave and pulls out all of his healing potions. When others make their way to the cave he tells them, "Thick 'eaded of me to forget but aye meant to share these with ya before we were set upon. I can make more when we 'ave some down time."

I have 8 cure mods...I don't remember how many are still in the party but I'm pretty sure everyone can at least have one. I also have 2 cure serious' if some one has high HP and is a frontliner. Just let me know what you take so I can mark it off. Don't be shy...I'll make more when we stop next.

Katasi
2007-12-31, 08:28 PM
Unworried about his wounds, Arum goes about the battlefield searching for loot and survivors. He takes anything he finds that might be worth something. He searches for any equipment from his opponents, including the most mundane of clothing and puts it all in a pile that he can pick and choose from later, coins he just slips into his pouch. If he has time he will consider taking body parts- teeth, hairs, and if given the chance he will open them up to take out the hearts and any other internal organs he thinks might be able to be sold to mages or trophy collectors, or used as spell components for himself.

[um, I don't mean to complain, but do we get XP for this battle?]

ArmanMadero
2008-01-01, 04:24 PM
Arman watched Livius go with a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure how much more spells he could cast and not comprimise himself. With a tired nod to Bundok, he waves him over and starts using the wand of healing on him.

After the healing was done he keeps a lookout while the rest do their search, and take everything to the cave.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2008-01-02, 06:52 AM
Kelith

Kelith will heal whoever comes to him with his wand of lesser vigor, then help gather the equipment and loot off the dead enemies. ((Just tell me how many charges i need to subtract total from my wand and i'll do it)).

"So after we rest we continue our trip I assume? Hopefully that will be the last we see of Mother Frost and her minions this trip. Just glad to see everyone made it out alive."

mshady
2008-01-02, 01:20 PM
OOC - hi folks, I'll have a post up tonight. Sorry for the delay - holidays and family, etc. I'm sure we're all in the same boat to a similar degree. I'll be including info on your XP and loot.

In regards to rewarding the Xp and such, feel free to PM me if you feeling anything to date has resulted in personal growth, learned something, learned new tactics, etc, etc to date.

MShady

ArmanMadero
2008-01-04, 12:33 AM
OOC - I learned that when your hair gets into a bowl of Malt O Meal... its REALLY hard to get out....LOL

mshady
2008-01-04, 02:26 AM
The group scours the battlefield, with members searching the bloodied, broken and smoldering corpses various enemies that just ambushed them. The remains are searched for maps, information and, of course, valuables. Bundok takes several trophies from the ogre mage and frost giant that he somehow had slain, but only after his wounds are taken care of by his friends. Bundok and Arum work their way up the battlefield and meet at the fallen ogre mage, where both take their trophies. Bundok, having already taken a tooth from the frost giant, takes a second one from charred ogre’s head. Arum takes a much more methodical approach. With a pair of pliers, he pulls out most of the ogre’s useful remaining teeth and uses a small saw to cut its horns as well. He next cuts two Vs in the ogre’s arm and lets some of the blood drain into a series of jars he kept in his satchel, taking several minutes. Having filled the jars and muttering about spell components, he continues. Spreading the ogre’s arms and legs out wide, he cuts open the ogre’s chest cavity with his quick razor and breaks open its rib cage with a rock before cutting out the creature’s enormous heart. He then skins the creature; the leather made from their thick, rubbery skin having a multitude of uses. After he completes butchering the ogre mage, he takes the hearts of the two giants and a swath of skin from them as well to experiment with. Wiping the blood from his hands in the cold snow, the little gnome grins and returns to the cave entrance with his grisly load. As the loot is collected and Arum works, Tolrin indicates all the loot needs to be brought to a pile and for him to look at before it is hauled back to Hundlestone. He explains this is not the place to be figuring that kind of thing out.

As part of that search, it is discovered that three of enemies are actually still alive. One after another, Duervar binds and drags the unconscious foes over to the mouth of the cave. The three prisoners include the goblin mage, one of the goblin worg riders and an ogre. Tolrin looks over the prisoners and takes a blackened battleaxe from his bag of holding. Clearly adamantine, it is none the less nicked and seen heavy use somewhere before.

Turning to Duervar, he says “Good job, lad. We take the two goblins back to interrogate.” Taking two small healing potions from his bandolier, he roughly pries open their mouths and pours the potions down their throats. The worg rider revives immediately and struggles briefly before Duervar kicks him in the back. Tolrin quickly follows the potion up with an old sock and jams it in the goblin’s mouth. When it revives, the groggy creature looks terrified but has the intelligence to offer no resistance. Looking at the big ogre, Tolrin taps it with his foot and it groans from the pressure. Frowning momentarily, he stands parallel to the creature and decapitates it with his axe. Wiping the blood off with a cloth, Tolrin shrugs and explains.

“That big brute’s too dumb to know anything and was too far gone. Too big to drag back too; liable to drag someone off a cliff. Take ‘hat black axe and take the heads o’the rest of’em. Bring’em here and spit’em all on those lances from dem worg riders. We’ll be show’n these to the Stone Council, I reckon. I’m gonna head into the cave and pray while the rest o’ye finish up. Be quick ‘bout it, we ‘ave to get back before dark.”

Turning, with a sour, troubled look on his face, Tolrin disappears into the cave and does not return for 15 minutes or so while the party continues its search. During that time, Bundok looks at the entrenchments the giants were hiding in originally as he explores the area. Without really going into it, he sees enough to tell that it looks like it is part of a large, crude bunker that might include several underground rooms; likely where some of the creatures may have lived.
The pile of loot in front of the cave quickly grows as several party members drop things into the pile. Several bags of gold are found and a handful of gems and rings, some clearly having more than ornamental value. Weapons, armor and shields are also dropped off, along with a cloak, a pair of boots, an amulet, a wand of some kind, a spell book and some other documents. The pile specifically includes…

1 x Large Greatsword (unidentified magic)
3 x Large Greataxes (unidentified magic)
3 x MW Shortswords
1 x Magic Shortsword
2 x MW Battleaxes
1 x Magic Mace
3 x Magic Rings
1 x Magic Cloak
1 x Magic Amulet
1 x Large Mithril Chainmail (magic)
1 x MW Large Breastplate
1 x Small Robe (Magic)
24 x Thunderstones
7 x Tanglefoot bags
7 x Caltrops bags
4 x Gems
1 x Spellbook
4 x Scrolls (stinking cloud, mage armor, summon monster III and glitterdust)
8 x Cure Medium Wounds potions
3 x Cure Critical Wounds potions
Approx 2000 in gold coins or equivalents
50 feet of hemp rope

As Duervar and Arum complete their butcher work, the entire party returns to the mouth of the cave and examines the tidy little pile they have collected and await Tolrin’s return. Several minutes later, the group can hear him returning from inside the cave. They can hear his voice as well as the voice of one other, yet the footfalls of many as Tolrin converses with what can only be a dwarf, but one of a rather unusual accent. Stepping forward into the dim light, Tolrin smiles slightly and gestures towards the five duergar that are with him, all heavily armored.

“I’d like ye to see who ye just risked yer lives here to allow me to see and ye probably just saved. This ‘ere is Thordek Stonebreaker, a Duergar yes but also a fellow priest o’Moradin.” Tolrin smiles and the two embrace each other warmly. “I was here to pray and such like I said, but also for a quiet place to see me old friend who comes bearing news from the Underdark from time to time; something ye must guard with yer lives. “ Tolrin says, sounding grim and very serious about this point.
“Introductions ‘re in order though before we depart. Sonnlinor Thordek, I present to ye my travelling companions. Arum the Battle Curser, Bundok the Giantbane… with a bloody stick too! Arman Madero, also a mage. Duervar, the longest serving here from the old Clan, Hjalmar from the Great Rift and a mighty paladin o’Moradin that’d make Taark Shanat proud and Magnum, a cleric o’the Father o’Battle.” Looking towards Kelith, Raltise and Lythe, Tolrin continues. “The fellow all in red be Kelith, a priest o’Kossuth. The other be Raltise Siprite… he’s.. new with me, a fancy fellow ‘nd that elemental by Lythe. And o’course, ye know my cat well.” Both Tolrin and Thordek laugh at the last part, sharing some kind of private joke.

Stepping forward, Thordek looks over the group and smiles. The dwarf is considerably older than Tolrin and has dark grey skin and a grey half beard but is otherwise bald as an egg. His eyes have the look of a constant worrier. He seems like someone who lived in constant danger and was thoroughly enjoying a brief respite from it. His armor is clearly of a duergar make; very practical, painted flat gray with no ornamentation yet cleverly designed. His escort is similarly equipped. Taking the hand of each member and embracing them in turn, he stands in front of them and finally addresses them.

“My… apologies if I do not introduce me escort, aye? The less ye know, the better for now. If ye continue with Tolrin Jilker though, likely meet again we will I think. I felt it only right to thank ye personally for saving our lives. Likely when they finish outside, they search deep inside for plunder and take us as well, these strange followers o’the Cold God. Tolrin says ye fought well and better, all survived. A great feat o’arms Clangeddin no doubt admires.” Thordek speaks in a husky, gravelly voice and looks at each member, judging their reactions.
“The service ye give to the Patriarchate, to Patriarch Hignar and to Moradin, tis an important thing no matter yer reasons for doing it. His hope to unite the dwarves o’north and south, to band together is an admirable goal, yes it is. All faithful should be united, together, for common cause against the darkness. Against old evils and heresies against the ways of the Dwarf; a danger I fear you may meet all too soon and sacrifice for. For the dwarves among you, ask yourselves in what place is your heart? Is your faith strong? Why do you have faith. The answer is all around you, whenever you look at your fellow dwarf. Belief in kin and kinship is the start of faith, and always know our Gods support that yet know we must bring into our Halls all who would join us, yet cast out all who oppose.” Thordek fingers a holy symbol hanging from his neck and bows his head slightly, reverently, before continuing.

“Yer wondering why a Duergar addresses you such, aye?” He looks around the group for a moment. “We are dwarves too, and have been from the start. Our people fought to form the first dwarven empire of Shanatar. Our God part of the Moradinsamman, the pantheon of the dwarves. Our home Barakuir fell; Clan Duergar was enslaved for thousands of years and we drifted from the family. Some o’my kin, most, nearly all are… misguided and full of bitterness, yet unquestioning as is our way. Once, we are all one. One day, it may be again. Someone must start us down that path and I am thankful for the Patriarch’s support of this as well, blessed be his name.” Thordek bows his head again and steps back.

Looking over at the two prisoners, a thought occurs to Tolrin suddenly and he smiles wickedly.

“Thordek, would ye mind doin’ me a favor? Them two goblins, the one with the sock ‘s a mage. Would ye mind tak’n them with ye and interrogat’n them? Maybe let yer psionist deal with’em? I wanna know who they are, where their den is and all ‘bout this Livius that ye can and what is goin’ on between them and Hundlestone. Someth’n don’t sit right with me.”

Thordek nods his head. “So it shall be. What we learn you shall know as soon as we are able.”

Tolrin looks at the two goblins, smiles and tosses one and then the other roughly at the feet of one of the duergar escorts. The dwarf has unnaturally bright blue eyes and smiles at the two goblins, obviously terrified.

“Thank ye Thordek. I reckon it’s time we all depart. Anyone see ‘nything interest’n in the pile and look’n ‘round the area?” Tolrin looks around at the party as Thordek’s escorts drag the goblins into the gloom of the cave with Thordek in tow. Before he disappears, the duergar says goodbye to Tolrin, who smiles and waves, then returns to eying the pile.

Experience Awards

All party members earned enough XP for level 6.

Katasi
2008-01-04, 03:52 AM
Arum finishes getting his prizes from the bodies and buries them a bit in snow to help preserve them. Then he goes over to the pile and looks in it. He looks around. "How do we want to split this up?" he asks. Do we want to give out what's in here to whoever can use it, sell the stuff we can't use, like that big armor and weapons and split all the gold evenly or do we want to just all of us grab what we like?

mshady
2008-01-04, 07:44 AM
"Quite a pile, eh?" Tolrin smiles, amused. "Now's not the place for deciding though. Do that back in town, I reckon."

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-04, 11:59 AM
Raltise keeps bhis post at the mouth of the cave while his companions loot the bodies; he's not entirely comfortable with that part of combat, so he's thankful for being allowed to simply guard the cave for the time being.

He closes his eyes once everyone has congregated by the cave mouth, his eyes flashing visibly behind his eyelids. He then opens them, the faint blue glow having faded away, and then gives Lythe a bemused little grin. "Perhaps we should have looted the corpses of our fallen enemies, mm? I never thought to do it before..."

He listens silently to the conversation, bowing with a flourish as he and his companion are introduced. He gives the dwarf with the glowing blue eyes a meaningly look for a few moments, then nods at him, his own eyes flashing green in slight amusement.

bchilders
2008-01-04, 04:11 PM
Magnum finds a spot in the cave do pray to Clangeddin, both thanks for protection and strength to prevail and also for further strength to continue to pursue this Cold God. When he returns he feels filled with new power and vigor and is beaming as he comes in bellowing, "A good day for dwarvenkin, death fer those who opposed us and life for all yer fellow comrades. Today the Cold God shivers in fear instead o' tha chills."

Diarmuid
2008-01-05, 03:05 AM
You described the little bunkers, Bundok would have checked them out...not sure if the treasure includes anything from there or if there would be any additional information to glean from inside the bunkers, papers tunnels leading elsewhere, etc.

Bundok squints an eye at the little gnome going to town on the dead ogres and giants. He knows why he takes his trophies, but that little bugger...yuck. Shaking away the visual of a gnome almost shoulder deep in an ogre mage's chest cavity he peruses the battle field and gathers what else he can.

He nods approvingly at the pile of spoils and nudges a few things with the toe of his boot to get a bit of a better look at them.

He greets the duergar respectfully, but just so at first. Respect only gained from having walked and embraced Tolrin, one of the finest dwarves Bundok has ever known. Once his gray cousin starts spinning his tale, his heart softens a bit and he can almost understand being outside the dwarven fold and yearning to be back inside it.

Years of prejudice are hard to overcome though, and the duergar's mysterious entourage of unnamed gray brethren fit the stereotype to a tee. So again, with respect, albeit a little more than originally, he salutes Thordek as the greys head back into the cave. He cant help but wondering if Tolrin had told them what was in the cave and what they would be saving, if it would have made a difference to start with...

"Aye. dun worry about all t'at now. Just pick up some junk and lug anythin that's magic or worth somethin, and don' stink too bad o' ogre or frosty."

Tharar_Greenleaf
2008-01-05, 09:29 PM
Kelith

As Kelith helps finish up the gathering of the loot he also chimes in, "Aye, I think the split should happen back at town."

As the dwarves emerge from the cave, he gives a nod at the mention of his name and a respectful glance at all the dwarves as they are introduced.

As they move back into the cave for their "interrogation" he turns toward the group "So i'm guessing we wait for whatever information can be found then we report back to town?"

ArmanMadero
2008-01-06, 09:15 PM
Arman gathered with everyone else near the spoiles and eyes a few things, and nodded his head in satisfaction. All in all, a nice scuffle.

Noises coming from the cave made the announcement of the Duergar before they showed themselves. Arman stayed reserved about meeting more dwarves. As an elf, dwarves were not the highest on the list of those he would generally hang around with. But then again, he was hired to. Gold was gold.

He nodded his head when Tolrin introduced him, but did little else.

The coming days were going to be interesting to say the least.

Katasi
2008-01-09, 04:47 AM
Arum nods and begins to grab a bunch off loot to carry back to town. "Shall we get going then?" He asks.

ArmanMadero
2008-01-11, 11:51 PM
Seeing Arum starting to gather things, Arman went over to the pile and started helping.

"I think that is a good idea. Questions need to be answered and I would rather do that in a warm inn or home, rather than in a cold dark wet cave."

Arman looked to Tolrin and grinned.

"Not that there is anything wrong with cold dark wet caves."

mshady
2008-01-12, 03:22 AM
Tolrin flashes Kelith a sardonic half smile and chuckles in response to the man’s question.

“Oh, them two goblins we captured? Shame we weren’t closer to home, could put’em to work in the mines or something. They’ll lemme know if they be having something. Pity about the ogre, nay have many o’those.”
He waves his hand dismissively and glances back at the ridgeline, obviously nervous about lingering too long before he recognizes the inevitable look of confusion on both Kelith’s face and everyone that overheard him.

“Ah, right… how’s that work, aye? Well…” The dwarf sucks air through his teeth as he debates an explanation that wouldn’t give too much away. “Can I just be leav’n that to a kind o’magic for now and be leaving it at that? Tis one reason the two o’us had to meet, to sort ‘hat all out.”

Tolrin turns and watches Duervar finish his bloody work of mounting the monster’s heads on the lances for a long moment and back into the cave and frowns. It’s clearly barbaric, but Duervar seems to have no more qualms about it then one might have over moving a box around. Tolrin’s momentary curiosity about the matter is more an inspection of the work then blanching at what he ordered.
“I wonder if he can get that last one on? Oh, that works, hit it with a club. Tad messy though. Good lad, Duergar!” Tolrin shrugs, appreciating the practicality of Duervar’s actions before continuing, more talking to himself than responding to Kelith directly – a kind of absent-minded exposition the dwarf was (in)famous for.

“Well, as I was saying…and prolly why someone just gone done tried to kill us, so we didn’t meet. Someone ‘ho obviously wanted it done badly, paid well and nay wanted to show their face in the doin’ of it. Yet someone that snow wench nay cared to risk her life for nor ‘er best and prolly work’n on her own. I wonder if their precious Cold One knew? This one’s gonna be a lot of unraveling fer what I fear’s a damn simple answer.” The dwarf grinds his foot into the broken ground beneath his feet, stamping out his own frustration.
“Bugger’em, that’s bloody smart. But who and if so, who? And why now and who’d they want? Me? Thordek? More ‘han enough force to kill us all, damn good thing they tried to do it ‘n the cheap and ‘hey came in bite sizes…” Grumbling, Tolrin continues his soliloquy mentally as he tries to work things out in a manner not unlike someone trying to chew on a tough piece of meat.

Some of the party continues to guard the area while the rest bag the impressive amount of treasure up and distribute the weight as evenly as they can, but it is still a considerable weight. The four lances, now adorned with the heads of the various foes, lean against the cave wall. Bundok wanders back to the fortifications, accompanied by Arum after a brief discussion between the two. Dropping down into the once covered trenches, they soon discover that the tunnels indeed include 2 passages going southward. They conclude with a long passage going east and west where the ogres hiding. Behind these earthworks is a rather spacious series of rooms of very unusual construction. Rather than earthen walls, sheets of what are clearly lead sheets have been nailed roughly into the wall. This rather leaves Bundok confused, but Arum would have an idea what these are far. A communal sleeping area for what four giants is over to one side of the main chamber and full of dirty furs and a stench. Piled by two of the fur beds are heavy bags full of gold, cheap gems and various junk, weighing about 10 lbs apiece. On the other side of the chamber is an area for the ogres. A dead ogre is pushed towards the back of the chamber and covered with blankets, apparently a victim of close quarters, a bad temper and a very large sword through its heart. The ogre area is otherwise messy and without anything worth taking and probably dangerous to touch simply due to the sanitation. Salted meat is piled into one corner with a tarp over it. The entire place, while underground, is none the less rather chill and the only heat would have come from body heat. Frost signals every breath.
This main chamber leads to two more. One, oddly enough, is a rough hewn table with chairs large enough for a normal humanoid with a side room full of cots with fresh straw. To the north of this meeting room is another room; what is clearly a bed room. An empty trunk sits at the foot of the bed and the bed itself has an actual straw mattress. A change of woman’s clothes are found in a bag tossed carelessly to the side of the mattress and appear to be priestly vestments, although they are unadorned. Bundok rifles through the bag until he finds a small leather satchel and a small pouch of gems. Bundok and Arum open the satchel together, revealing a folded map of the immediate area of the Spine of the World. Several cave entrances are noted accompanied by symbols neither can read.
A note also falls out of the satchel. In unusually square looking draconic, Arum realizes it simply states “The meeting will be as planned. Please prepare a reception. Expect escort.” With no other rooms to search and anything of value collected, the two climb out of the earthworks with some degree of difficulty and make their way back to the group as they make final preparations to leave.

“So,” Tolrin asks, now appearing more focused. “What’d ye two tunnel rats find? Been near half an hour, we best be push’n out and soon. What’s it look like in there?”

Lythe fidgets and watches the discussion, listening intently and clearly curious while Raltise watches the valley unmovingly. The rest have their gear ready and loot stowed. Duergar has the heads and lances wrapped in a tarp with a rope around them so he can drag them along.

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-12, 08:27 AM
Raltise looks down at the fidgetting. earth elemental, and grins a little bit. He places his hand atop her head, and then seems to focus on some point in space a few yards away... suddenly, his eyes, as well as Lythe's eyes and the 'veins' of crystal running through her body, flash a brilliant blue for a moment, which soon fades to a dull glow. Raltise then promptly starts sliding along the ground, backwards, not seeming to put much effort in moving at all. He shrugs his shoulders. "Gotta keep her entertained."

Manifest skate on both Ralts and Lythe... mainly to stop her from being bored and nervous.

bchilders
2008-01-12, 07:28 PM
Magnum loads himself down with loot to carry back to town and looks around at the group, each carrying their share and more and bringing those heads on lances he says out loud, "We'll make quite a sight fer those town folk comin' in like this, aye." He ends his statement laughing as he imagine the faces of the villagers as they pass.

mshady
2008-01-12, 11:13 PM
"Aye lad, we will." Tolrin rumbles. "I'm gonna walk straight through town 'ith us carry'n those heads. Straight to the head o'the bloody Stone Council and get me some answer 'bout what's going on between them people and these Cold Ones. Hundlestone be the only 'ay by land to the North. One way 'r another, I'm here to make sure it be secure and hold that pass open. After that, we talk 'ith the Patriarch I be think'n."

Katasi
2008-01-13, 02:58 AM
Arum takes what he can carry of the gold and gems found in the underground rooms and drags them out to the pile of loot outside that eeryone is baging up. He then goes oer to Tolrin with the not, shows it ot him, and says "In case you can't read this, it says 'The meeting will be as planned. Please prepare a reception. Expect escort.'"

Tharar_Greenleaf
2008-01-15, 10:25 AM
{{OOC: I'm waiting on Tolrin's response to the letter we found before i post. Just in case he thinks we should investigate or something to that extent.}}

bchilders
2008-01-16, 09:12 AM
Magnum moves in to see what was found in the tunnels and wonders what Tolrins take is on who tried to have us killed.

mshady
2008-01-17, 12:29 AM
Tolrin stops and listens to Arum, his head cocked and he listens intently to the short note.
“That note, repeat it again”, he snaps, obviously caught by surprise by the note. Stepping towards Arum and removing his metal gauntlet with his other hand, he takes the note and reads it over. He snorts and taps the note with his square, stubby finger. After a minute of reading it over and over again, he folds it up and places it in his satchel.
“Ye did well find’n this, you two. So they gots themselves a barracks up there, eh? Good place to lay an ambush from, but a little too permanent don’t ye think? Be a damn convenient place to meet someone. Anything there make ye ‘hink it was warded ‘gainst scrying?” Tolrin looks between the two and Arum nods.

“Meet’n place than. And I bet it be to meet ‘ith whomever comes up to this tomb, which as far ‘s I know be the thrice damned Hundlestone Council. No wonder them guards nay wanted us com’n up here. Real question be who left that note. Who in the hells leaves a note in draconic like that? Who knew I’d be comin’ here to meet with Sonnlinor Thordek? None o’ye did. None o’the Forgemark did. The Patriarch did and a couple o’others in the family. So… not my end. Must be on Thordeks… unless this all be through some magicked means. A note in draconic’d make a wee more sense, odd writ’n though…”

Tolrin paces around for a moment as the last o’the gear and treasure is packed away.

“So… what now? I’d be tempted to wait ‘nd see who shows up but we may just get attacked ‘gain and likely no one will as Hundlestone certainly knows we left. I reckon I should let Clinkscales know, but do I just tell’em we were ambushed and march home or tell’em and ask’em to seize the Stone Council and hold’em till we get back? They didn’t really know where we be going so much, so its nay like they were lett’n us walk to our deaths. Be stupid with all the dwarves in the town or com’n. But they obviously ‘ave some sort o’arrangement with these Aurilites. So they be victims or partners? Any thoughts, lads? What do ye think we should do?”

bchilders
2008-01-17, 09:11 AM
"I've oft'n been accus'd of tryin too much to see the good in folk, but a part of me wants the say it's these damn cold ones tah blame. What defense they got to refuse demands from the like of what we just ran in to?" Magnum says then waits for the responses of the others before saying any more.

Diarmuid
2008-01-19, 03:28 AM
Bundok

After reporting the findings of the barracks with Arum, the unkempt dwarf got rather quiet and just grabbed some bags of booty to carry back to town. The mystics were sortin out something about dragons and scrying and he knew he wouldnt be able to follow the conversation anyway, and didnt bother.

He watched bemusedly as Raltise and his walking pile o' stones skated around. The little rock thing was ugly, and stranger'n most things he'd seen, but then again he'd just watched one of the best dwarves he'd ever known talking pleasantly with a grey, so was Bundok to judge.

mshady
2008-01-20, 03:11 AM
Tolrin shrugs in response to what Magnum says.

“An old dwarf’s temper’s something difficult to cool when his fire’s up. I needs to remember that while that’s prolly the most important town north o’Shadowdale or Daggerford, she still be a little town. I suppose having Clinkscales sack the place till we gets back and can put some questions to’em may be a bit… hasty.” Tolrin clears his throat and shrugs, almost sheepishly, although it’s hard to tell in his fine plate mail. “So aye… they might’ve had an arrangement with these damned ice lickers but aye, what alternative they be having? We may be able to keep Luskan’s wandering eye at bay, but winter itself?”

Tolrin snorts as Duervar walks him with the grizzly pikes on his shoulders while Tolrin regards them for a moment and looks contemplative for a moment and begins talking out loud.

“Question here be how deep an arrangement this be? Greedy as these ice lickers be, what does Hundlestone have to limit that greed? Maybe that can be the Patriarchate. Battlehammer didn’t help. Couldn’t help. We might.
My jobs to make sure the caravan route stays open, nay just for our good, but all the Ten Towns. No more. No less. If the place be too weak to stand on its own, we can reinforce it or even take it if need be.
If it can stand, that’s fine. But what I can nay afford be uncertainty… not knowing if these frost faeries can just close the road whenever they want. It’s like walking around wearing a noose for us! Back home, back underground, that’s how we’d deal with this. Axes. Spikes. Walls. Put our own lad in charge, knock some more heads and you’d have certainty. Although I sure put the lie to that method! Hah! Hmmm.”

Tolrin paces for the better part of the moment in thought, put only after producing a fine looking cigar and puffing on it as he mutters to himself. Finally, he returns to his waiting escort.
“Alright, I have it.” Tolrin declares and pauses for effect before the weary group, almost theatrically. “I’ll inform Clinkscales o’what happened. He’ll carry the message to the Stone Council and request they meet us at the Goblin’s Groin upon our return to discuss the attack and the mutual concern. The last caravan’ll be here in two days time. You all will have the time to get ready, split the loot and so on while I do that dry diplomatic stuff my cousin keeps insisting I do. Some o’ye will still pull escort duty, seeing as someone’s in an assassination mood lately.

So assume we work someth’n out with Hundlestone to keep the pass open that involves protecting the place rather ‘han owning the place. That’ll mean the snow flakes’ll try to assert they can still open and close the pass when ‘hey want to, meaning they’ll be goin’ after the full caravan. That caravan’s ‘bout 300 to 500 strong, including the escort and well… everyone’s armed on them things. If they want to show ‘hey can close the pass or at least make it damn dangerous… they’re gonna have to bring enough force to deal with all that. Which means today was just a taste of what’s coming for the rest o’the week.”

Tolrin stops for breath and smiles, but it’s a very grim smile.

“Yes, that means they’ll want to keep Hundlestone itself in play. The best way to do that and avoid the caravan fight for them’ll be to cause problems in town or try ‘nd kill us in the meantime. Nevermind whom just hired ‘hem to try ‘nd kill us just now and leaves notes in draconic…”

{General Knowledge – Draconic is the language for arcane magic as well as actual dragons.}

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-20, 07:42 AM
Raltise listens silently, keeping one eye on Lythe to make sure she doesn't go floating off a cliff while the adults are talking. "Mm... I guess I won't be getting to that monestary any time soon, then. Oh well."

ArmanMadero
2008-01-20, 10:10 PM
Arman listened to all the conversations going on, and thought about what it all meant. Holding the Stone Council seemed somewhat reasonable, but what if they were just as blind? Arman shook his head. It didn't seem possible.

Someone was a traitor. Or misguided. And for what? Money? Power? Glory? All the things a being would want to achieve their own ends of mayhem.

And who or what was the being? Was it the whole Stone Council, or a few of it? One of it? The writing in Draconic certainly was odd, but not uncommon. Most mages and sorcerors could understand the language, along with dragons and those of dragon descent. The words itself told the story. It was short and to the point. Whoever wrote it, might not be expecting them back.

Arman smiled a grim smile. So who would try to not act surprised when they finally arrived back in town? How deep did this all run?

"Tolrin, what exactly may the Stone Council have to do with this? It seems to me that they would want the passage to remain open as well. Who controls the passage itself? Is it owned by all who pass through? Or does Hundlestone take that responsibility? Or Bryn Shander?"

Arman rubbed the back of his neck with his rght hand, deep in thought.

"Would the stone council have enough power to hire those who attacked us today? And for what purpose? What would they have against increasing trade, reagardless if it is through the underdark? I would think that they would like to have year round travelers, how ever many there would be, to bring further trade to Icewind Dale and Hundlestone. And who is Frostmaiden Livius speaking of when she mentioned the Stone Councils protector? What are we up against?"

"I'm thinking that whoever sent this "reception" for us, may not be expecting us back in town. Who else tried to stop this from happening besides the guards? Anyone particular come to mind from the Council perhaps?"

bchilders
2008-01-20, 10:38 PM
Magnum listens intently as those around him speak, wishing he had more skills in politics and intrigue. His god blessed him with a heart for a fight but he seemed somewhat out of his element in these talks of trade and treason. He appreciates Arman quick assesment of the situation and probing questions and waits to hear what response Tolrin might give.

mshady
2008-01-20, 10:39 PM
Taking a last look at the battlefield, Tolrin continues to puff on his cigar. He snaps his fingers twice and summons the big mountain lion over to him, whereupon it affectionately nuzzles him. Leaning down and speaking to it quietly, he pets the big cat and rummages around in his satchel and gives it a chunk of smoked meat. The cat purrs and he bids it farewell before touching his holy symbol and speaking the command words once again. With the meat chunk in its mouth, the lion sits on its haunches for a moment before becoming opaque and then transparent before disappearing into a cloud of blue and white smoke that drifts away in the wind. Tolrin excuses himself for a moment and performs some kind of spell before returning, declaring he has sent a message ahead about what happened and his instructions. Returning, he listens to Armans questions and thinks for a moment.

"Good questions. What's the Stone Council have to do with this, or someone on it, as in trying to kill us? Maybe nothing. The Council hires alot o'adventurers, so mercenaries aren't somethin' unusual for'em. A few even work for me too." Tolrin laughs at that.

"I'd prefer they did though, make things easier. But it makes no sense, as ye point out. No, I 'hink Hundlesone came to terms with the the Aurilites when they came knock'n. Paying a protection fee, and to pay it, they're charg'n outrageous tariffs to all the caravans that come through and that's kill'n the Ten Towns. So, we have to end that. But if we do and the Aurilites can't extort Hundlestone, they could attack'em directly. Or, they could demand anyone using the pass pay'em directly or they'll wipe'em out. O'course, they'll need to actually wipe one out first to make that a real threat. No one controls the pass, except maybe the Aurilites, which is why we're concerned. It's a right damn mess."

Packed up and ready to go, the battered party makes their way down the winding trail towards Hundlestone in the near constant twilight. They stop at the mines once again, and the guards are none too happy to see them. Tolrin is in no mood for more trouble and while the guards discuss how to deal with the visitors, he has Duervar unwrap the gruesomely adorned lances and lean them against the rock wall. Tolrin gestures at the lances and glares at the guards who return to their posts without further issue. After resting for an hour, the group continues onwards towards the town. When they arrive several hours later, there are few lights visible within the city to guide the way. The most prominent is a narrow stone tower in the center of the town that once belonged to a mage and now serves as more of a landlocked light house to guide travelers to Hundlestone.

As the group arrives at Hundlestone’s walls, they are met by Clinkscales. He is flanked by several dwarven soldiers, including several new arrivals mounted on fully barded war ponies. The dwarves of the group will recognize the subtle difference with these newcomers; they’re female. Members of the Valkyries of Berronar, they are most often tasked with escorting civilians on long travels or acting as a mobile reserve that charges into battle to rescue their male counter-parts. Ten paces from the other group, Tolrin orders his small escort to form a line of their own and for a moment, the two groups examine each other. Clinkscales first and then Tolrin walk away from their groups and meet in the center.

“So, can’t say I was surprised ye ran into trouble, Ambassador. Made it back with everyone too, I see?”, Clinkscales says, his tone beyond dry.
“My reputation precedes me, eh?” Tolrin smirks and Clinkscales does not respond to the remark.
“What all did ye run into out there?” Clinkscales ask. Tolrin gestures to Duervar, who again produces the trophies. Clinkscale’s eyes flick to the macabre trophies and grunts.
“The Council, they inside? Any problems with them?” Tolrin asks. Clinkscales says nothing but shakes his head.

“Good then. Let’s head inside.” Tolrin turns to his escort. “Bundok and Arum, I’ll need ye two to testify on what ye saw inside that encampment. After that, ye can all take yer rest while we sort this out a bit after that I reckon. Any questions before we head in?”

Diarmuid
2008-01-21, 12:55 PM
Bundok

Bundok merely grunts his understanding and bobs his head, though he is glad Arum was going to be there with him. Hopefully Arum would do most of the talking and Bundok could simply agree with him.

He could see he was not the only one a little uncomfortable with the apparent political debacle they had become embroiled in.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2008-01-21, 04:26 PM
Kelith

Staying silent through the discussions, he gives a sigh of relief when he hears the group is to head back to town. After all, he was fatigued and low on healing, and figured the rest of the group was as well. He gives a quick once over on the all female group they meet in town and decides Clinkscales is not someone he cares to spend time with.

As Tolrin gives his last remarks to the group Kelith speaks up, "I'll be at the tavern, once things are settled in the council let me know; i'll be waiting."

{{So how are we going about the leveling up? Do i just wake up tomorrow and have my new spells or do i need to run them by you or what?}}

mshady
2008-01-21, 05:57 PM
As a clarification, the group is staying together for the moment and the meeting is actually at the tavern/inn the group departed from originally.

In terms of leveling, you'll need to get a full night of sleep and a day to receive all of the benefits of leveling. For those arcane users amongst you, normal scribing time for your free spells apply. We should have a total of 3 days before the caravan departs, although something else may happen between now and then....

Katasi
2008-01-22, 05:41 AM
Arum stays with the rest of the group, not talking much and ignoring everything going on around him as thoughts of the day whirl around in his head.

ArmanMadero
2008-01-25, 10:10 PM
Arman walked home quietly, taking in the exchange between Clinkcscales and Tolrin when they all finally met. Upon hearing he would have the rest of the night off, Arman looked at Tolrin. "Tolrin, would you mind if I accompanied you, Arum, and Bundok to the meeting? I won't say anything that you don't want me to, or anything that would ruin anything you might have to say." Arman waited for Tolrin's answer. Not seeing one come out right away, he shrugged.

"As you know I am fairly new to this area. I would like to learn as much as I can about the land that I am in and the people also. I think that one of the best ways for me to do that, would be to sit in upon the councils hearings and talks with you as my guide." Arman smiled, awaiting an answer.

mshady
2008-01-26, 03:18 AM
Tolrin nods to Arman as the party forms up, listening to him briefly and nodding.

“Oh aye, you’ll all be there. Quite possible I’ll need bodyguards after all, way things have been going.” The dwarf chuckles darkly to himself, clearly in a shifting mood but he is also completely serious. The entire dwarven party departs from the front of the main gates in a grim and purposeful manner. At the head of the column, Tolrin rides a white, barded, war pony while Clinkscales rides his fierce, heavily armored warpig. The rest of the dwarves march five abreast in a small, square formation behind them. The battle standards are displayed by the dwarf in the center and the two to the right of him and two to the left hold the lances aloft, displaying the heads of their enemies that had been taken. The dwarves closest to the center that are holding the lances are Hjalmar and Duervar. Behind them, two dwarves mark the time with large, bass drums at the edge of the formation while three more play an old dwarven battle song, the Heretic’s Bane accompanied by the voices of the other dwarves. The music and song has a very military and somewhat intimidating quality to it, conveying pride and bloody minded purpose. Circling over the town are several of the Valkyries, flying silently but low enough to be seen on their hippogriffs.

The guards on the wall, mainly humans and a few gnomes, watch the grisly display of the dwarves wide eyed and with some trepidation. While the Patriarchate dwarves were ostensibly allies to them, these dwarves were far more grim and disciplined than the good natured, if rowdy, Battlehammer dwarves from years past. The rumors about their purposes here kept people on edge and this march only reinforces that feeling. Anyone on the streets at this time of nights wisely closes the doors and clears the path to the tavern. The militia in town gathers and some of the meager detachments shadow the group as they march.

This all is exactly the message Tolrin intends. His intent was to unnerve the famously truculent Stone Council and convey the utmost seriousness of this forthcoming conversation. After the engagement today, the veteran diplomat wanted clear answers after the previous deceptions.

Within a few minutes, the dwarves arrive at the Goblin’s Groin tavern. It is ringed by some of the Hundlestone Militia who stand in a shield wall formation in front of the door. The commander of the Hundlestone Militia stands in front of the formation, armored in plate mail with a mace and shield. He stands calmly and raps his mace against his leg armor patiently, waiting for the approaching dwarves to stop. As the dwarves stop and the music ceases on Clinkscales’ signal, the commander steps forward slowly.
“Ambassador Tolrin Jilker!” he cries. “I demand to know the meaning of this! The Stone Council is here as you asked, yet you come bearing arms at the head of your soldiers. State your purpose in this! Are we not allies? Are we not your friends?”

Tolrin spurs his pony forward slightly, moving a few feet closer.
“Worry not, Captain Eugene. These dwarves, my friends, my brothers, my companions be here as an honor guard, and for my protection. Someone tried to kill us today. In the Spine, at the Tomb of Hundle Hurler of Hammers. We wish to… parlay about this matter as it concerns an apparent ally of yours. The Jilker Patriarchate wishes to discuss the matter.“

Tolrin’s voice booms out into the near darkness, his tone measured but imperious. The assembled militia murmur and Captain Eugene sighs deeply and nods, gesturing at the door.
“We should speak than” Captain Eugene says, gesturing at the door half-heartedly, the tension replaced by a certain resignation. “Do leave your army outside though. And your trophies.”
Tolrin nods dismounts, gesturing for the party to follow him in.

In a quiet tone, to no one in particular Tolrin mutters aloud “This should be most interesting, eh lads?”

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-26, 06:08 AM
Raltise doesn't really march along with the others in the formation - his body is shaped too differently for him to really keep in time with the dwarves. He doesn't join in the song, either, although he does murmur the words to himself; he knows the words, naturally, but he doesn't actually enjoy singing.

As they approach the wall, the archer takes his bow from his back. He doesn't do anything with it, but the threat is quite clear to anyone watching; he holds it like a fully trained professional, and not like someone who just picked a bow up for the first time.

When Tolrin and the others go inside, Raltise follows alongside Lythe, vaguely humming the song the dwarves had just been singing.

Katasi
2008-01-26, 10:45 AM
Arum joins in the song witht he dwarves. When the talking begins he moves to Tolrin's left, a step behind him incase he is needed to give an acount of the scrying protection and other such things of what was found.

bchilders
2008-01-26, 05:01 PM
Magnum

Other than a good fight and a good drink, a good battle song was one of Magnum's favorite things. He bellowed loudly as the troupe marched in and stands waiting staring down any onlookers as Tolrin proceeds into the meeting chamber.

mshady
2008-01-27, 03:01 AM
Tolrin strides purposely through the door with the rest of the party trailing him, utterly ignoring the militia’s own display. After a moment, Clinkscales follows as well, his enormous bulk and heavy armor causing the floor boards to creak in protest at the weight. Inside, all seven members of the Hundlestone Council are present. It is composed of three gnomes, three humans and a dwarf. The tables in the room have been rearranged and so they can sit together along a square table and all of the other tables and chairs have been pushed aside. They have clearly been here for several hours, judging by the smell of smoke, plates and bottles at the table. Duervar, taking his cue from Tolrin, close the door hard enough to be noticed. A tall, bearded man in a brown robe in his 30s immediately bolts from his chair and accosts the group as they enter.

“Who in the Hells do you damn dwarves think you are?!” the man fumes, “The arrogance! What gives you the damned right to send your soldiers to nearly drag us all here and insist we wait for hours. When you return, you parade through town, terrify everyone and make like you intend to sack the place. What part about guests, or allies do you dwarves NOT understand? You can’t dictate to us!” Several of the other members of the Council nod or grunt in agreement and they all glare at Tolrin and Clinkscales. Tolrin turns his head and listens to the man and returns his own withering glare.

“Who do we think we are, Kelvin?” Tolrin responds hotly, lashing the man with his words. “We are the heirs to the traditions of the first dwarves and the Crusader. We are the Purifiers. We are the bane to the false, the heretical, the wicked and followers of the infidel Gods. We are the old ways of the dwarves. Of tradition and clan, of steadfast loyalty to friends and implacable enemy. We find ourselves here today because you have been false with us. Because you ally yourselves with those who are our foes.”
Tolrin waits for the moment as some of the color drains from the Council members. Taking a deep breath, he continues.

“We are also here to give you a chance to save yourselves. To stand up. To be independent and safe and discuss how to make it so, for I fear your town is in grave trouble indeed.” Some of the Council members look between each other, a bit confused suddenly. Tolrin continues.

“I want to know everything about your arrangements with the Aurilites, with the Frostmaiden Livius and the Auril’s Chosen, the white wyrm. As ye can see, we’ve obviously done battle today and barely survived, no thanks to ye. It was all quite… enlightening? I think that's the word." Tolrin smiles, somewhat wolfishly and relishing the moment. Dealing with the Hundlestone Council had long been a frustration for him.

"No more haggling. No more lies. I need ye to be straight now with me, finally. What in the Hells have ye people gotten yourselves into?”

Still standing, fixed in place by Tolrin's verbal assault, now simply nods.

"Oh. Ummm yes, I can see why you might want to talk about that... You.. could have just asked. All this was hardly neccesary..." Kelvin replies, a bit feebly.

"You're right. But how well's that worked out for me? After dealing with you folks again and again for five years, damned if it didn't make me feel better. Besides, ye may've just ommitted things again."

A familar gnomish woman steps out of the kitchen area, now in far more regal apparell but no less caustic.

"For an Ambassador, yer quite the arse, aren't you?" Tolrin looks at the woman as the air goes out of the room for a moment.

"I have me moments, lass." The Stone Council members grumble in obvious agreement.

More tomorrow…

Katasi
2008-01-27, 12:49 PM
Arum glares at the now well-known gnome woman. "Well you should know about asses, with as big as yours is, you iron headed, poison mouthed, blowhard." he says, his temper still raging from the battle and having no patience to listen to this.

ArmanMadero
2008-01-28, 03:37 PM
Arman followed the procession, listening to the singing from the dwarves, a song of honor and battle. It involved a great deal of stomping of the feet also to keep time, and although not as upbeat he would hae prefered in a song, they were after all, only dwarves.

He followed Tolrin into the hall with the council, trying to watch along Tolrins right for anything. Upon entering the hall and having Duervar close and bolt the doors behind him, a man jumped to his feet and immediately started shouting at Tolrin. Arman shifted his hand to his dagger, but didn't move otherwise, confident that Tolrin could handle this.

Sure enough, Tolrin could handle it and Arman eased up a little bit as some of the council members started to look confused or scared. A feisty gnome stepped up at this point and said something to Tolrin, to which Arum replied back at her.

Interesting, indeed.

mshady
2008-01-29, 02:46 AM
Tolrin looks over at Arum and stops for a second and stares a bit wide eyed at Arum. Unable to suppress a short bark of laughter, Tolrin only earns him more glares. The gnomish woman gives them both a withering glare and returns out of sight.

“So yes… much to discuss, eh?” Tolrin steps towards the Council while Clinkscales watches the room ominously.

“Where to begin? You’ll have to fill me in as I go along….” Tolrin paces back and forth for nearly a minute before finally speaking again.

“So let’s see if I worked this out. Simple, really… you’re all running your town here, respectable little trade hub that it is. However, you’re also the only source short of plunder for the Aurilites. So they come here, scare you a little and demand a tribute from you to keep the pass open, freeze you to death in the snow and cold or outright just destroy the town. How’s it sound so far?” Tolrin glances at the Council.

“Now most towns with a good bit of coin would hire some mercenaries or adventurers, hope they take care of the problem. In fact you try, badly, to make that look like a threat by mov’n adventurers in and out and lett’n them play about in the Upperdark so the Aurilites are never too sure what else ye have. So what do they do about that? Well, they keep raising your tribute and force the caravans to pay more in turn so ye can keep up appearances. But they keep pushing, so ye have a problem.

Ye can’t exactly hire the quality o’help you need and ye can’t much tell anyone either. Maybe nay even outside the room, which’d explain why yer all skimm’n from your own coffers. Here I thought ye were corrupt all these years! If ye tell anyone, they know ye been in league with the Aurilites and it just looks like the two of ye were runn’n protection racket together and doin’ extortion on the caravans, the route and the Ten Towns. The Ten Towns can’t help ye. Ironmaster’s too weak. Battlehammer’s been gone for awhile. Mirabar and Luskan’d probably come to blows over who gets to conquer ye first for this whole scheme.

So ye accept things for what they are, scratch out a living as best ye can and pay the Aurilites, who maybe know how much they can press ye. Of course, the best way to be sure would be put one o’their own on the Hundlestone Council. Hell, it’s even fair as their part owners eh? I’m nay sure where this Frostmaiden Livius fits in, but she was yer go between, aye?” Tolrin looks at the assembled Council and narrows his gaze. A human woman holds her head in her hands and sobs to herself and Tolrin, respectfully waits. Eventually, she raises her head and speaks quietly, but sharply.

“You think you are so.. so smart, Ambassador Joker. Don’t you? Oh so very, very smart. But you missed something as you plumbed the depths of our corruption.” She sneers at Tolrin and the others look to her. “When the tribute became too much, they came calling for tribute in… other forms. They took our children too! As hostages at first and then as their new priests! When we told them we had no more, the White Wyrm came… twenty years ago now. It took my daughter, poor sweet, Livius from me and several others. Every year. Tomorrow, we were to take two more children and Livius would care for them, raise them and send them to spread that cold, dead faith of theirs. It’s not even a tribute anymore. It’s an offering as he forced us to accept their God as the price o’suffering our existence.” The woman returns to her sobbing and Tolrin frowns slightly.

“Happy now, dwarf?” Kelvin asks. “Now you know. What are you going to do now? Save us?” The man laughs sarcastically. “Save us from the Cold One? From that dragon? It’s empire of snow and ice? Good luck humbling that one.”
“Still think’n on that one…” Tolrin says, a totally blank expression on his usually expressive face. The hardened soldier Clinkscales looks on from behind Tolrin, his eyes are remorseless pits. Tolrin turns and gestures to his own group of escorts.

“Now lads, would someone explain to the Council what happened to us out there today? How we were goin’ to pray at the tomb of Hundle ‘nd were ambushed? Arum and Bundok, if ye could explain the little bunker ye found right next to the area, if ye could?”

Katasi
2008-01-29, 11:51 AM
Arum nods. We found a bunker buried beneath the ground, large enough to hold several creatures, and coated in lead. Lead is a common thing to use against scrying, most divinations can't penetrate it. We also found this note in it." He says as he holds the note up.

bchilders
2008-01-30, 08:20 AM
Magnum

Magnum sits by and listens, it has always been hard for him to keep his mouth shut when there is arguing around so if you watch him closely he takes several large breaths to keep from interupting the proceedings. His emotions move back and forth between sympathy and frustration towards the council and he bows his head slightly to pray to Clangeddin for the strength and oppurtunity to pay back these Aurilites for what they've done.

Tharar_Greenleaf
2008-01-31, 09:08 AM
Kelith

Now at the tavern, Kelith fetches himself some water and sips at it while waiting for his companions to return.

edit: {{My bad, I thought the hearing was taking place in a council room or building. So i suppose i'm with the rest of the group in the tavern staying silent. Still sipping on water though.}}

Diarmuid
2008-02-07, 04:24 PM
Bundok

Not exactly comfortable with bring singled out, but never one to shirk from his duty, the grim dwarf expounded on Arum's rather concise explanation,

"We was headed up the pass ta tha tomb of the Hammer Hurler,"

He goes on to describe the area where the ambush occurred,

"The force what met us there woulda been way too much if it were a simply caravan headed up the pass. Was damn near too much fer us."

He turns a cold, accusatory eye on the council as he mentions the last bit there. Continuing, he begins listing off their foes of the day, ticking them off on his fingers,

"Maybe a dozen goblins, some of em wizerds er maybe shamans. Half a dozen ogres with a damn blue-skinned mage o' theirs. A few frost giants, and some kinda icy devilish thing. That bunker weren't no hasty built watching station fer keepin an eye on the pass. They were hunkered down good, with plenty o' space for a good number o' ogres and even maybe a few giants."

mshady
2008-02-08, 03:02 AM
Hey folks - been pretty sick the last few days, post will be up tomorrow.

MShady