PDA

View Full Version : I sold my soul for finger puppets and all I got was this lousy prestige class.

Kellus
2007-10-16, 11:07 PM
Finger Puppeteer of the Nine Hells

The warlord that charges down the enemy ruthlessly, taking savage pleasure in the flow of innocent blood. The torturer who employs every trick he knows to deliver excruciating paing to his victims. The assassin who hunts down his mark dispassionately, executing swiftly and without remorse. These individuals are some of the most dangerous and evil who walk the land. However, true diabolical power rests with another being.

The Nine Hells of Baator rarely look favourably upon a mortal. However, through certain diabolical rites of passage, the devils will sometimes allow an deal to be struck with an exceptionally lawful and evil warrior who is willing to sacrifice his soul in pursuit of dark power. This power is traded to the petitioner in the most hideous and vile form ever devised by devilkind: that of the finger puppet.

Requirements:
BAB: +7
Feats: Disciple of Darkness, Skill Focus (Perform [finger puppetry])
Skills: Bluff 5 ranks, Perform (finger puppetry) 5 ranks
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with a devil and sold immortal soul in exhange for entry into this class.

Hit Die: d10

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier
Class Skills: The finger puppeteer of the Nine Hells' class skills (and the key ability modifier for each skill) are: Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy *Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (The Planes), Perform (finger puppetry), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str)

Table: The Finger Puppeteer of the Nine Hells
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Finger puppet of Avernus, oath of the finger puppets

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Finger puppet of Dis

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Finger puppet of Minauros

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Finger puppet of Phlegethos, extra puppet

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Finger puppet of Stygia

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Finger puppet of Malbolge

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Finger puppet of Maladomini, extra puppet

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Finger puppet of Cania

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Finger puppet of Nessus

[/table]

All of the following are class features of the finger puppeteer of the Nine Hells.

Oath of the Finger Puppets (Su): The finger puppeteer is sworn to serve the Nine Hells of Baator in all of his endeavours. In exchange for the unholy power of the finger puppets that the bargain grants him, he must swear this oath in order to begin taking levels in this class.

If a finger puppeteer of the Nine Hells ever uses his finger puppets for a good or chaotic goal, he loses all supernatural class features of this class. A puppeteer who has broken this oath may atone by spending 24 hours by himself in the Nine Hells, playing with his finger puppets this entire time.

Finger Puppets (Su): In exchange for his soul, the fiends of Baator give the diabolical puppeteer unnatural skill and power in finger puppetry. At every level of this class, he gains access to another finger puppet as he descends through the fngerpuppet ranks of Hell.

Wearing a finger puppet gives certain bonuses to the puppeteer. Each finger puppet has a general benefit, as well as a bonus on certain skills or rolls. For the latter, the bonus is determined by a Perform (finger puppetry) check made when the puppeteer puts on his finger puppets for the day. The bonus is shown on the following table:

{table]Perform (finger puppetry) Result|Finger Puppet Bonus
<11|+0
11-20|+1
21-30|+2
31-40|+3
41-50|+4
>50|+5[/table]

The puppeteer may wear one puppet at a time from 1st to 3rd level, two puppets simultaneously from 4th to 6th level, and 3 puppets simultaneously from 7th to 9th level. He must roll a seperate Perform (finger puppetry) check for each puppet he chooses to wear on any given day. Once he has selected his finger puppets for the day, he may not remove them or change them for other finger puppets until he has gotten 8 hours of rest. During this rest period, the finger puppets he has chosen to wear for the day whisper dark secrets of Baator into his mind, slowly pushing him further towards the diabolical ideal.

Each finger puppet resembles a small fabric version of the layer’s ruler. Unlike normal finger puppets, these diabolical villains have minds of their own and can speak Common and Infernal fluently. They can also communicate telepathically with the puppeteer at will so long as he is wearing them. Once removed from his finger, they become inert until he puts them on again. The finger puppets are not powerful enough to control the puppeteer.

The following are the finger puppets that may be worn by the finger puppeteer of the Nine Hells.

Finger Puppet of Avernus: The first finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to channel the martial fury of the Blood War in his every action. Wearing this finger puppet allows the puppeteer to smite chaos once per day per class level, adding his Charisma modifier to his attack roll and twice his class level to his damage roll against a chaotic opponent. This finger puppet grants a bonus on damage rolls and Perform (weapons drill) checks.

Finger Puppet of Dis: The second finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to always remain vigilant and watchful against deceit. Wearing this finger puppet allows the puppeteer to use discern lies as a spell-like ability once per day per class level. His caster level for this effect is equal to his HD, and the saving throw is equal to 14 + his Charisma modifier. This finger puppet grants a bonus on Gather Information and Sense Motive checks.

Finger Puppet of Minauros: The third finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to channel the putrid swamps of Minauros and the dissembling skill of its ruler. Wearing this finger puppet causes the puppeteer to project an aura of nauseation. Any being that comes within 10ft. of the puppeteer must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + class level + Cha modifier) or be nauseated for 1 round. Afterwards, or upon a successful save, the target may not be affected by this aura again for 24 hours. This finger puppet grants a bonus on Appraise and Forgery checks.

Finger Puppet of Phlegethos: The fourth finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to call upon the searing layer of Phlegethos to ignore pain and seduce his foes. Wearing this finger puppet grants the puppeteer immunity to nonlethal damage. This finger puppet grants a bonus on Bluff (out of combat only) and Diplomacy checks.

Finger Puppet of Stygia: The fifth finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to channel the unholy waters of the fifth layer, as well as the cunning of its master. Wearing this finger puppet grants a swim speed to the puppeteer equal to his land speed, and the ability to take 10 on any Swim check to avoid a special obstacle. As well, this puppet grants a continual water breathing effect (as the spell of the same name) on the puppeteer. This finger puppet grants a bonus on precision-based damage (affects each die) and Swim checks.

Finger Puppet of Malbolge: The sixth finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to use the desecrated power of the deposed Hag Countess and the life-leaching power of the layer itself. Wearing this finger puppet grants the puppeteer the ability to redirect any healing effect which takes place within 30ft. to target himself instead of the intended target. He may use this ability once per day per class level. This finger puppet grants a bonus on Heal and Survival checks.

Finger Puppet of Maladomini: The seventh finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to call upon the skill at intrigue and political power that that the ruler of Maladomini posesses. Wearing this finger puppet grants the puppeteer immunity to all divination spells of 7th level or lower. This finger puppet grants a bonus on Knowledge (local) and Knowledge (nobility and royalty) checks.

Finger Puppet of Cania: The eight finger puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to channel the frozen wasteland of Cania and the burning nature of its ruler. Wearing this finger puppet grants the puppeteer immunity to environmental effects, be they mundane or extraplanar in nature. This finger puppet grants a bonus on fire damage and cold damage rolls.

Finger Puppet of Nessus: The ninth, and final, puppet that the puppeteer gains access to allows him to channel Asmodeus himself in his authority and bearing. Wearing this finger puppet grants the puppeteer the effects of the Leadership feat. If he already has the Leadership feat, he instead gains a +4 bonus to his Leadership score. This finger puppet grants a bonus on attack rolls and Intimidate checks.

RTGoodman
2007-10-17, 12:10 AM
I like the class a lot, but I've got one main problem - is Leadership really what you want as the capstone ability? I mean, surely the pure puppet-derived power of Asmodeus can do something more than... give you a bunch of lackeys? :smallconfused:

Of course, I have no suggestions for what to replace it with, so whatever you want it cool.

Xefas
2007-10-17, 12:52 AM
First a nitpick, and then some advice.

Under your Class Features section you have "Fingerpuppet of Stugia", and I assume you meant "Stygia".

Anyway, my main advice is that...the abilities of the Fingerpuppets should synergize better with some class or another, or even just better with each other. As it is, very few people will be benefited by taking this class power-wise. Any spellcasters or practitioners of the Sublime Way won't want it because they lose out on their spells/maneuvers, and caster/initiator level.

Rogues/Ninjas/Scouts will be disappointed because it doesn't advance their precision damage, and also because you totally left out skill points and class skills.

That leaves Barbarians, Fighters, Monks, Paladins of Tyranny, Marshals, and Rangers. Monks, Paladins, and Fighters can be marked off because if they were worried about being very useful in a combat situation, they'd use their Sublime Way counterparts.

So, you have Barbarians, Rangers, and Marshals, and those puppets don't exactly scream "Take me, I'm yours!" to them, either.

Also there's *cough* *cough* Sublime Marshal (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=752414) and Sublime Ranger (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=738077) if your DM allows them (and if someone in the party is playing a spellcaster, I can't see why he/she wouldn't).

But, anyway, I digress...what class is meant to take this, exactly?

Kellus
2007-10-17, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the typo and skill points-- fixed 'em.

The class is meant to appeal to pretty much any martial character that wants some more versatility. It hands out a bunch of small abilities, and the character can combine them in any way they want. They can get a bunch of bonuses to key skills they'll be using on any particular day, as well as some special abilities depending on the situation. It is, however, intended for front-line fighters. I'd say Fighters, Paladins of Tyranny, and Rangers would probably benefit the most from the class' abilities, but really any melee combatants can find something useful here. :smallsmile:

Adumbration
2007-10-17, 09:11 AM
You know... I think this class would fit Chaotic evil better than Lawful, although then it couldn't come from devils.

You know, an insane evil person listen to the advice of his finger puppets sounds much better than perfectly rational evil doing the same.

Xefas
2007-10-17, 09:17 AM
You know... I think this class would fit Chaotic evil better than Lawful, although then it couldn't come from devils.

You know, an insane evil person listen to the advice of his finger puppets sounds much better than perfectly rational evil doing the same.

I, personally, disagree. You could easily be insane and lawful at the same time. What if it's like:

"The voice *twitch twitch* they come from my fingerz! And they tell me...tell me to..."

*pause*

"...spend the next 11 years of my life exploiting the legal system, that I might rise to the title of Baron and rule my people with a tyrannical iron fist while I extort money from the other neighboring barons via a carefully constructed web of intricate blackmail and propaganda *twitch twitch*"

smart thog
2007-10-17, 11:55 AM
Heh, finger puppets. Funny. one thing though, why can't you do good or chaotic acts, if they serve a evil purpose?

Thunderbuckets
2007-10-17, 02:38 PM
I like the concept, but it seems very much like the Master of Masks prestige class from Complete Scoundrel, albeit with a slightly more sinister ring. The thing about that one is that it gets a few extra abilities in addition to those that are granted by the masks.

Suggestion: give the Finger Puppeteer a bonus on Mind-Affecting saving throws equal to 2 x # of Finger Puppets being worn, as his own domination prowess prevents him from falling prey to the puppeteering of others.

Also: do Finger puppets occupy the magical item space of hands/rings? It seems like they would.

Vadin
2007-10-17, 06:19 PM
Villained!

Hope you don't mind, I'm going to remove the lawful requirement for the class and have my Villainous Half-Dragon Barbarian King (the players think he's good b/c they've never bothered to cast Detect Evil on him, and he's really very lawful in his evils (what with the taxes and all (though he really earns his neutral evil when he goes out every now and then and sets fire to random houses in his kingdom (once, on occasion, even his own (the castle))))) take a few levels in this. It'll all look like the court jester's fault when they start talking and the King pretends to go into a trance like state, but that'll just add to the fun, won't it?

Brickwall
2007-10-17, 06:26 PM
No level 10 capstone ability? For shame.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-10-17, 06:34 PM
Can I just say that, although I like this class very much, Asmodeus puppets are ridiculously good, smiting-wise? Although all can be forgiven in the name of puppets.

Kellus
2007-10-17, 06:44 PM
No level 10 capstone ability? For shame.

No level 10. :smalltongue:

Can I just say that, although I like this class very much, Asmodeus puppets are ridiculously good, smiting-wise? Although all can be forgiven in the name of puppets.

I assume you mean the puppet of Avernus? The smites are indeed powerful, but bear in mind that at the start it's only 1 per day. And then he has more puppets to choose between. That puppet makes him really good at melee, which is what the class is intended for. In any case, it's only against chaotic beings, which are much harder to differentiate than good and evil in a normal encounter.

Villained!

Heh. Go right ahead.

Heh, finger puppets. Funny. one thing though, why can't you do good or chaotic acts, if they serve a evil purpose?

Is a paladin allowed to perform evil acts if they serve a good purpose?

Thanks for the comments! :smallbiggrin:

Illiterate Scribe
2007-10-17, 06:47 PM
I assume you mean the puppet of Avernus? The smites are indeed powerful, but bear in mind that at the start it's only 1 per day. And then he has more puppets to choose between. That puppet makes him really good at melee, which is what the class is intended for. In any case, it's only against chaotic beings, which are much harder to differentiate than good and evil in a normal encounter.

Yeah, Avernus. A few of these could be useful in the Blood War, though.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-17, 08:41 PM
Are the finger puppets funky, neutral, or square?

DracoDei
2007-10-17, 09:05 PM
I would say Funky... MAYBE neutral... much too weird to be square... although devils seem like the square type...