PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Ireland!

Jade_Tarem
2007-10-17, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone.

I will be going (with the Auburn University Marching Band) to Ireland this spring to march in the 2008 St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin!

I'm pretty excited about it. Is there anything I need to know, specifically, about Ireland before I get there? The AU Band has pretty high behavioral standards and I want to make a good impression, or at least not a bad one (I'm aware of the American reputation abroad - we're not all jerks, I promise!).

Anything I should/shouldn't say/do/mention that would be fine in the US but not in Ireland? Or that would be fine in Ireland but not the US? :smalltongue:

FoE
2007-10-17, 12:42 AM
Lucky bugger. :smallannoyed:

I wouldn't try faking an Irish accent. That'll probably get you stabbed.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-17, 12:43 AM
I would visit the Guiness brewery if I ever had the chance... My friend did and I'm really jealous.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-17, 01:06 AM
Arghh i'm jealous. *punts Jade_Tarem* :smallwink:

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 04:50 AM
Lets see now...
1. Castles are awesome.
2. Dublin was founded by Vikings (not really something you need to know. I just think it's interesting)
3. The Irish aren't Scottish.
4. The Irish especially aren't English
5. Might be worth having a bit of an idea of the religious and political background of the place, and know what the difference between Northern Ireland and the rest of Ireland is. Someone who's actually from Ireland can give you a better idea of how important that is nowadays.

Trix
2007-10-17, 05:25 AM
um... lol, "Hi" I'm new to GITP, I'm primarily in the Message Board Games.

I can give you hints and tips if you want? But try ask specific questions. I can give you alot of joking answers but in terms of actual helpful advice I need to know more of what you want to know and what your doing.

Not trying the Irish accent is a good start though! lol... The Americans cant do it, and its cringe worthy seeing "irish" people being portrayed in Hollywood.

Sepentine has been wise to say you need to know the political differences.

Irish are different in Dublin then they are in the country, (anywhere outside Dublin mostly) Ireland and Northern Ireland IS different. Do NOT under any circumstances mistakenly or jokingly call us British, Part of the British Empire, or anything remotely associated along those lines. Same goes to being confused with the Scots and The Welsh, although their celts, so its not half as bad as calling us british.

Overall, its a wonderful country and the people are genuinely friendly. You've also picked one of the maddest dates on our calender for the whole country to come. (since its orignally our celebration: Paddys day)

Questions:

Are you going for long?
Are you just going to be in Dublin?
Where are you staying?
Will you have any free nights/days?

(any other info like that to give me so I can best guide you?)

Oh, and what do you look like? hehe... The Parade goes right by my apartment. I'll be able to see you!

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 05:41 AM
See? Told you so :smallwink:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-17, 07:43 AM
3. The Irish aren't Scottish.

That's a contentious issue. A lot of people from Northern Island have Scottish ancestors and when you go far enough back the modern Scottish actually originated in Ireland before moving to Scotland.

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 07:47 AM
Ah, but the Scottish are still now Scots :smalltongue: I think... No, it was the Picts that the Scots from Ireland kicked out of Scotland, I'm sure. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of Irishpersons would get at least a bit irked by getting confused with the Scots.

LCR
2007-10-17, 11:45 AM
Dress like this (http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms3/spicer3_small.jpg), brush up your RP and tell those Irish people that it's good to be back.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-10-17, 11:54 AM
You're so lucky. :smallannoyed:

I love Ireland, hope I will go there in summer.

Lucky.:smallannoyed:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-17, 12:28 PM
Ireland is a great place.

However when I've bee the food wasn't very good so you might to ask at the hotel your staying at where a place that sells good food is.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-17, 12:34 PM
Ireland is a great place.

yup, best place ive been to :smallbiggrin:

Om
2007-10-17, 12:39 PM
1) Dublin is expensive
2) "Craic" is not a narcotic substance
3) Temple Bar is a tourist trap
4) The Guinness Storehouse is supposed to be great
5) Don't say that you have Irish blood/descendants (It doesn't impress us)
6) Avoid certain neighbourhoods (Ballymun, Ballyfermot, etc) and travelling after dark unless in groups
7) Ireland are playing England on March 15 in the Six Nations. The game is in England but there should be some craic in the bars... especially if we win
8) Stick to the city centre so you don't have to worry about traffic

Anything else?

Kaelaroth
2007-10-17, 12:39 PM
Once again, as said before; DO NOT TRY OUT AN IRISH ACCENT! It will only make things worse.

Don't try and wear lots of green. People will either assume you're taking the piss or being a complete suck-up conformist.

Note that the Irish like the Euro - and are members of the European Union.

Learn what the flag looks like.

Go to Guiness!

Don't (as said above) associate yourself with the British. My Irish friends hate being associated with the British, even though they LIVE in Britain!

Overall, have fun, and good luck!

Jade_Tarem
2007-10-17, 02:43 PM
um... lol, "Hi" I'm new to GITP, I'm primarily in the Message Board Games.

I can give you hints and tips if you want? But try ask specific questions. I can give you alot of joking answers but in terms of actual helpful advice I need to know more of what you want to know and what your doing.

Not trying the Irish accent is a good start though! lol... The Americans cant do it, and its cringe worthy seeing "irish" people being portrayed in Hollywood.

Sepentine has been wise to say you need to know the political differences.

Irish are different in Dublin then they are in the country, (anywhere outside Dublin mostly) Ireland and Northern Ireland IS different. Do NOT under any circumstances mistakenly or jokingly call us British, Part of the British Empire, or anything remotely associated along those lines. Same goes to being confused with the Scots and The Welsh, although their celts, so its not half as bad as calling us british.

Overall, its a wonderful country and the people are genuinely friendly. You've also picked one of the maddest dates on our calender for the whole country to come. (since its orignally our celebration: Paddys day)

Questions:

Are you going for long?
Are you just going to be in Dublin?
Where are you staying?
Will you have any free nights/days?

(any other info like that to give me so I can best guide you?)

Oh, and what do you look like? hehe... The Parade goes right by my apartment. I'll be able to see you!

Multiquote seems to be down, so I'll respond to multiple entries.

First off, thanks to everyone who responded.

1. I'll be in Ireland for a week and maybe one or two days more.

2. I don't have an itenerary, so I don't know where I'll be staying/where I'll be going/how much free time I'll have.

3. Thanks for the note on Ireland vs. North Ireland, as I didn't know whether or not that was still an issue (I never see it in the news anymore).

4. I already knew about the "don't associate with the British, and especially don't associate the Irish with the British" thing. I wasn't sure exactly how bad it was, but I knew it was... unwise. Thanks for the warning anyway. And yes, I know it applies to the Scottish too. :smalleek:

5. Searching for me in the parade is a lost cause. Any view you have of me will show me standing next to 200+ other people, all of them around my height and wearing identical band uniforms. I'll be carrying a mellophone, if you know what that is (if you're not a music buff, that's a brass instrument that looks like a fat trumpet, but isn't a baritone.)

6. I already know that I can't do an Irish accent, and I don't have any Irish ancestors.

Jade_Tarem
2007-10-17, 02:58 PM
1) Dublin is expensive
2) "Craic" is not a narcotic substance
3) Temple Bar is a tourist trap
4) The Guinness Storehouse is supposed to be great
5) Don't say that you have Irish blood/descendants (It doesn't impress us)
6) Avoid certain neighbourhoods (Ballymun, Ballyfermot, etc) and travelling after dark unless in groups
7) Ireland are playing England on March 15 in the Six Nations. The game is in England but there should be some craic in the bars... especially if we win
8) Stick to the city centre so you don't have to worry about traffic

Anything else?

1. How unfortunate. Are we talking Washington DC expensive, New York expensive, Las Vegas expensive, or something even more heinous? I honestly can't see it being as expensive as the trip there itself.

2. Crack isn't either, as it is technically a stimulant. However, your advice is appreciated. What is craic, and how does one pronounce it?

3. I've never heard of Temple Bar. Is it an actual, solid bar of something, a drinking-bar, a legal association, an exam, or a candy bar?

4. Assuming I'm allowed to go there, I'll check it out! :smallsmile:

5. I don't have Irish blood. I don't have any descendants. :smallredface:

6. Sounds about right for any major city. Thanks for the tip on the neighborhoods.

7. Er... ok. Craic in the bars? What? This sounds suspiciously like sports talk, which I'm too much of a nerd to manage in American terms, much less another country's. :smallredface: :smalltongue:

8. I'll likely be on foot the whole time. Or do you mean that I should avoid the traffic even then? Is running down pedestrians a sport in Dublin like it is in the Southeast US? :smalleek: :smalltongue:

Thanks for the help, Om. :smallsmile:

Om
2007-10-17, 03:23 PM
1. How unfortunate. Are we talking Washington DC expensive, New York expensive, Las Vegas expensive, or something even more heinous? I honestly can't see it being as expensive as the trip there itself.Dublin is amongst the most expensive cities in Europe. How that compares to the US I can't really say. I also can't recall how prices will be affected by the exchange rate.

2. Crack isn't either, as it is technically a stimulant. However, your advice is appreciated. What is craic, and how does one pronounce it?Basically craic is an Irish term for "a good time with friendly company". As in, "There was great craic in the pub last night". Its pronounced the same as "crack"

3. I've never heard of Temple Bar. Is it an actual, solid bar of something, a drinking-bar, a legal association, an exam, or a candy bar?It'd be the tourist quarter if Dublin had a tourist quarter. Think of a district with lot's of, expensive, Irish pubs with genuine cobblestone streets and plenty of atmosphere. Its a favourite with hen/stag nights and, in all fairness, they are pretty good at selling the Ireland that tourists want, especially around Paddy's Day. So you'll get traditional bands, Irish dancing and all that. Just expect to pay for it.

5. I don't have Irish blood. I don't have any descendants. :smallredface:Gut. If there's one thing most Irish hate its Americans coming over and loudly proclaiming their Irishness because their great-grandmother was a quarter Irish :smallwink:

7. Er... ok. Craic in the bars? What? This sounds suspiciously like sports talk, which I'm too much of a nerd to manage in American terms, much less another country's. :smallredface: :smalltongue: There's always good craic (ie, a good time) with the rugby weekends. Unfortunately the match is in London (an Ireland/England game in Dublin on Paddy's Weekend would really be something else) but there will still be a great atmosphere in many of the pubs (especially those around Lansdowne - Slattery's is a particular favourite of mine). As this is the last game in the tournament there is the possibility that it might be the decider, if so expect the whole city to be talking about it.

8. I'll likely be on foot the whole time. Or do you mean that I should avoid the traffic even then? Is running down pedestrians a sport in Dublin like it is in the Southeast US? :smalleek: :smalltongue: The traffic in the city is grand and certainly shouldn't pose any problems. Trouble only arises when you're commuting from the suburbs. We recently got the LUAS (a tram system) which, while limited, is a great way to get about. An alternative might be the city tour buses, some of which operate on a "hop on, hop off" system.

There's really not that much to see in Dublin, we're not Rome, and that that there is tends to be spread out. So the bus might be something to consider. Of course, one landmark that you can't miss is right in the centre - the GPO. You can still make out the bullet holes from the 1916 Rising.

I'm happy to answer any other questions that you might have. Lord knows I rarely get the chance to talk about Dublin's, rare, charms :smallwink:

FoE
2007-10-17, 03:30 PM
Interesting, Om. OK, I've always fancied a trip to Ireland at some point in my life (it's on the list along a number of other destinations) and I always assumed I would see Dublin. But maybe I shouldn't bother. Where would you go if you were just a visitor and not a permanent resident of Ireland?

Morrandir
2007-10-17, 10:15 PM
The correct response to "Top of the morning to you," is "And the rest of the day to yourself."

As stated, don't fake an accent. Unless they fake your accent first, then it's fair game.

evisiron
2007-10-18, 01:12 AM
Interstingly, I am a student from Northern ireland who is over in the states for a year. I will toss in what info I can (though the advice you have received already is great), but I have not been to the south too recently so info may be a little dated.

Craic is a main one, but covered.

Note that 'pissed' means drunk, not angry, and 'taking the piss' is similar to 'pulling your leg'.

Remember that Ireland is the Euro, not sterling.

I got here kind of late, and all the good advice has been taken! :smallbiggrin:

Trix
2007-10-18, 01:53 AM
Where abouts in the north are you from Evisiron?

Same Om. Where abouts are you living too?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-18, 06:33 AM
Gut. If there's one thing most Irish hate its Americans coming over and loudly proclaiming their Irishness because their great-grandmother was a quarter Irish :smallwink:

But a lot of Americans do have quarter Irish Great-Grandmothers.

Totally Guy
2007-10-18, 06:41 AM
Basically craic is an Irish term for "a good time with friendly company". As in, "There was great craic in the pub last night". Its pronounced the same as "crack"

That word's catching on over here. It's said all the time in my office, unfortunately our office moves about a lot so I can't pin it's spread on a particular area.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-10-18, 02:24 PM
First off: I'm not Irish but Cornish, so some fairly common things there in that:
1) We hate second home owners
2) Tourists are fair game for anyone. ESPECIALLY those we think are taking the piss.
3) Don't, please don't talk about Celtic (Kel-tick) backgrounds. NB: Celtic (Sell-tick) is a football team.
4) Rugby is the Holy Sport. DO NOT compare it to American Football. Most people think it's for pansies (Pansy: wimp, baby or simiar derogatory names)
5) Seriously, Ireland/England game around St. Patricks? Be extremely careful about Rugby and any England related comments
6) Guiness. Everyone I now who's been to Ireland has loved the place.
7) Every place in the UK has its own identity. Thus, Yorkshireman before English, Cornish before English. And always English/Scottish/Irish (N Ireland only)/Welsh before British.
8) Don't refer to anyone as European.
9) The Republic and N. Ireland are separate. DOn't confuse the two
10) I've been told that the coutryside is awe inspiring. get out and see it when you can.

Om
2007-10-18, 02:56 PM
What other tips... Expect to see a lot of foreigners. Over ten percent of the Republic's population is foreign born so you'll hear a lot of Russian, Polish and Nigerian accents.

Don't put too much stock in the past difficulties with Britain. Unless you walk down the street in a England/Rangers jersey you shouldn't have any trouble. You only need to be concious of the history when in the North or around the Border. In addition such difficulties/tensions are almost completely absent from the rugby with both sets of fans traditionally getting along well. Just don't cheer too loudly for England :smallwink:

In fact you're more likely to get in trouble by taking a pro-Republican (Irish Republicanism that is) stance and loudly supporting "the 'Ra". Just be aware that that whole subject is still somewhat touchy.

Interesting, Om. OK, I've always fancied a trip to Ireland at some point in my life (it's on the list along a number of other destinations) and I always assumed I would see Dublin. But maybe I shouldn't bother. Where would you go if you were just a visitor and not a permanent resident of Ireland?Well I'm probably selling Dublin short, having lived there for a number of years. Its not Rome or Paris but there still is stuff to see. We don't have many major landmarks (Christchurch Cathedral, the GPO, St James' Gate, Croke Park, Trinity College spring to mind) and our museums and other secondary attractions are pretty mediocre (although the National Art Gallery does have a famous Caravaggio). The way I see it, you could spend a week exploring Rome, London or Paris but you can probably see most of Dublin in a week.

That said, there are lots of other, less high profile, attractions. If you have any interest in literature or the arts then I'm sure that there is plenty to see. I have little interest in that so...

Outside of Dublin there's not a huge degree to see. So great is the gravity exerted by the capital that it seems to be swallowing up much of the country. Little towns/villages are picturesque but not somewhere that you'd spend more than an afternoon. Newgrange has some impressive Neolithic burial sites and the Giant's Causeway in the North is a natural wonder. If you're looking for "Ye Olde Ireland" then the West coast has some spectacular scenery. Dingle is reported to be truly beautiful and Galway is a nice friendly city. The Aran Islands are also well worth a visit. Bear in mind however that it can take 3-4 hours to reach Galway or Cork from Dublin.

Same Om. Where abouts are you living too?I'm from Dundalk and currently living at home (albeit with a long commute to Swords every day). I spent five years living around Whitehall for uni though. Yourself?

But a lot of Americans do have quarter Irish Great-Grandmothers.That may be so but we don't want to hear about it. There has been an almost continual debate over the last few years about the "New Irish" and what it means to be Irish in a multicultural society. Despite this almost everybody here is irritated by Americans suggesting that they are in fact Irish. We tend to look at the Paddy's Day celebrations in NY or Boston (green rivers and whatnot) with faint embarrassment.

Inhuman Bot
2007-10-18, 03:53 PM
Have fun.

Yeah i have no advice that hasent been said...
sorry

Jade_Tarem
2007-10-19, 12:42 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted.

I have a few more questions (and I had hoped to know more about the schedule) but I'm going to be gone for the weekend. I'll post here later!

skywalker
2007-10-19, 02:19 AM
Okay, I have some questions:

Is the blarney stone worth the trip, or the hanging above a hundred foot drop?

Is Irish draught Guinness really "poetry in a glass?"

What if I want to be Irish? Is it possible to prove my ancestry and then spend an appropriate amount of time as a journey-man Irishman, perhaps?

Gitman00
2007-10-19, 06:12 AM
Okay, I have some questions:

Is the blarney stone worth the trip, or the hanging above a hundred foot drop?

Is Irish draught Guinness really "poetry in a glass?"

What if I want to be Irish? Is it possible to prove my ancestry and then spend an appropriate amount of time as a journey-man Irishman, perhaps?

Speaking as a tourist (been there twice), but:

1. No, not really. There are better castles, and the stone gets pretty nasty after people kissing it all day.

2. Yes.

3. I dunno, the first time I went I was there for a week. The bus driver said to all of us on the first day: "Is anyone here Irish? [a few people raised their hands] Well, if yer not Irish yet, ye will be by da time ye leave."

I'm hearing a lot of people saying it's a bad idea to fake an Irish accent. Generally good advice, I guess, but I will say it's an easy accent to pick up. After a few days, I had a brogue, and I wasn't even trying to fake it. None of the natives said anything except one in a pub who seemed confused that I was an Irishman traveling with an American tour group. :smallbiggrin: After I explained, he advised me to stick with the American accent, because Irish girls think it's sexy.

The second time I went was better than the first, because instead of a guided tour, some friends and I just rented a car and spent a week driving from town to town and staying in bed-and-breakfasts. A few of my favorite sights: Bru na Boinne (wherein you'll find the Newgrange and Knowth burial sites), the Rock of Cashel, the Cliffs of Moher, and if you like traditional music, any pub in An Daingean (Dingle). My favorite was John Benny Moriarty's. Also, take the Waterford Crystal tour if you get a chance, but leave your wallet behind lest you be tempted to buy any of the gorgeous but expensive pieces. If you make it to Athlone, you may want to check out Sean's Bar, which is claimed to be the oldest bar in Europe, and possibly the world. They've been serving alcohol on that spot since roughly AD 900, if I remember correctly.

A word on pubs. The pub culture is one of my favorite things about Ireland. My experience is that if you strike up a conversation with a group of natives, they'll automatically include you in the next round of drinks. The catch is, of course, you're expected to return the favor. The food, by the way, is excellent. The price of pub grub is comparable to American fast food, but the quality is usually that of a nice sit-down restaurant.

That pretty much sums up what I've seen of the Irish attitude in general. They're, by and large, a very friendly, generous and welcoming people, and they expect the same from you. The owner of one of the bed-and-breakfasts in Dingle went on a pub crawl with us and we enjoyed his company immensely. He was always talking about the stereotypical "Hotel Americans," who come to his place, flash money, and demand all kinds of special treatment, though he didn't include us in that group. He had nothing but contempt for one guest who wanted to take the lobby television to his bedroom, and offered to pay extra for it. "What are ya gonna watch up there? There's no cable!" To put this in context, for those who aren't familiar with an Irish bed-and-breakfast: It's basically someone's home. You pay them to stay in their guest bedroom, and they serve you breakfast in the morning.

I fell in love with Ireland the first time I laid eyes on her, and I think the people are my favorite part. :smallsmile:

StickMan
2007-10-19, 08:07 AM
But a lot of Americans do have quarter Irish Great-Grandmothers.

I think the point is your in Ireland everyone has Irish Grandmothers and on top of that having Irish ancestors does not link you to the country or give you special status over other tourists, like I'm sure many Americans think it does. I want to go to Ireland one day to see were my family came from and if anyone asks I'll say that I'm trying to learn more about my ancestors but I don't think that is uncommon of American tourists.

Quincunx
2007-10-19, 08:55 AM
It will rain. Chances are your umbrella will also get broken. The hoodie is the national youth outfit for practical reasons--keeps your head dry, your body warm, and can be peeled off when the sun inexplicably emerges ten minutes later.

Speech has passing references to Catholicism. Smile and nod and figure out what the heck they were talking about later.

If the parade in Dublin is anything like the parade in Cork, goofy hats will be not only acceptable, but encouraged (I've got the green fuzzy bowler in storage, ready for next year). The false buttcheeks with the Gaelic equivalent of "kiss it!" written upon them, however, I hope will have gone out of style. . .

Om
2007-10-19, 12:59 PM
A word on pubs. The pub culture is one of my favorite things about Ireland. My experience is that if you strike up a conversation with a group of natives, they'll automatically include you in the next round of drinks. The catch is, of course, you're expected to return the favor."The crucial thing here is the "round" system, in which each participant takes turns to "shout" an order. To the outsider, this may appear casual; you will not necessarily be told it's your round and other participants may appear only too happy to substitute for you. But make no mistake, your failure to "put your hand in your pocket" will be noticed. People will mention it the moment you leave the room. The reputation will follow you to the grave, whereafter it will attach to your offspring and possibly theirs as well. In some cases, it may become permanently enshrined in a family nickname" Source (http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/Atravel/TravelGuide.html)

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-10-19, 02:40 PM
"The crucial thing here is the "round" system, in which each participant takes turns to "shout" an order. To the outsider, this may appear casual; you will not necessarily be told it's your round and other participants may appear only too happy to substitute for you. But make no mistake, your failure to "put your hand in your pocket" will be noticed. People will mention it the moment you leave the room. The reputation will follow you to the grave, whereafter it will attach to your offspring and possibly theirs as well. In some cases, it may become permanently enshrined in a family nickname" Source (http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/Atravel/TravelGuide.html)

So it's like the "Bloody Oath of Vengeance", only it's for drinks. :smallsmile:

ArchiviesTheQua
2007-10-19, 03:07 PM
As temping as I've heard it is, do not buy any weapons. I couldn't imagine the troubles you would have going home.

skywalker
2007-10-19, 03:39 PM
As temping as I've heard it is, do not buy any weapons. I couldn't imagine the troubles you would have going home.

I live in Tennessee.

I doubt there is anything I could possibly come by in Ireland(short of grenades) that I couldn't get for cheaper and legally in my home state, or with a quick jaunt across the border to the Cherokee reservation(Federal jurisdiction, so that switch blade machine gun you just bought isn't illegal until you drive back into an actual state).

Om
2007-10-19, 03:57 PM
I doubt there is anything I could possibly come by in Ireland(short of grenades) that I couldn't get for cheaper and legally in my home state, or with a quick jaunt across the border to the Cherokee reservation(Federal jurisdiction, so that switch blade machine gun you just bought isn't illegal until you drive back into an actual state).You could always get a special deal on mortars. FARC splashed out a couple of million for the technology :smallwink:

But seriously, only the Limerick/Dublin drug gangs carry guns in the Republic and they are not for sale. Certainly you cannot, and never could, buy or obtain arms without being very well connected to certain illegal organisations.

skywalker
2007-10-20, 12:07 AM
You could always get a special deal on mortars. FARC splashed out a couple of million for the technology :smallwink:

But seriously, only the Limerick/Dublin drug gangs carry guns in the Republic and they are not for sale. Certainly you cannot, and never could, buy or obtain arms without being very well connected to certain illegal organisations.

You never answered my question on whether or not I could work my way to full Irish-ness. Do Scots get any sort of camaraderie from the Irish(I hear they used to due to a mutual hatred for the English...)

Om
2007-10-20, 06:55 AM
You never answered my question on whether or not I could work my way to full Irish-ness. Do Scots get any sort of camaraderie from the Irish(I hear they used to due to a mutual hatred for the English...)Sorry, I missed that one.

Generally, no. It depends on the person - the whole question of Irishness is complicated and personal in nature - but few people would ever accept someone with an American accent as "full Irish". Ireland has traditional been a monocultural society - we didn't do "Italian-American" "Polish-American" - and Irish-Americans are simply seen as American first and foremost. The overall attitude is changing (witness Nigerian-Irish or Polish-Irish) but not in relation to the US tourists.

Trying too hard to be Irish, especially with an inflated sense of Irish heritage, can lead to you being perceived as a Plastic Paddy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Paddy). The simple fact is that 90% of the image of Irish culture (green, cosy pubs, traditional music, etc) exists only to amuse the tourists. That's not the Ireland that we actually live in.

That's not to say that you can't fit in. Just don't play up the Irish heritage too much and accept that people will simply see you as American and not Irish. Mentioning your Irish ancestry is fine but don't make a big deal of it. Have a laugh with the locals and you'll be accepted as Honorary Irish, in the same manner as anyone else who's up for a bit of craic is. Really the ability to have a laugh, and buy a round, will do you more favours than any amount of family trees.

As for the Scots, the relationship between the "Celtic nations" is most pronounced in sports but it does exist. (That is, when we can understand what the Scots are saying!) Of course Scottish heritage matters even less to people than Irish blood.