PDA

View Full Version : Need Fluff?

The Neoclassic
2007-10-17, 11:51 AM
I enjoy writing culture, character backgrounds, and other fluffy bits of campaign material. Since I'm taking a bit of a break from intensive development of my own setting, I was wondering if anyone needed some specific bits of fluff written for their world/setting/campaign/adventure. If you've any requests, post them here. I'm not going to promise I'll be able to do everything, but I will certainly do my best to try. :smallsmile:

Vadin
2007-10-17, 06:39 PM
I have a tiny bit of fluff for the different kinds of each race in my homebrew race setup. I'd maybe like to have a little more stuff for the races in terms of stories and such.

Here's a link to the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2884825&posted=1#post2884825), feel free to post your fluff right there in the thread and I'll add it in there later.

Kalirren
2007-10-17, 06:39 PM
Sure, I'll start you off with something you might enjoy, that is, if you're at all familiar with the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Comment on intellectual property in Eberronian academic circles. Specifically, how strong/well-defined are intellectual property laws, what is their international scope, and how does this affect the culture of mages and magewrights in terms of the attitudes they take towards their work?

The Neoclassic
2007-10-17, 07:13 PM
I have a tiny bit of fluff for the different kinds of each race in my homebrew race setup. I'd maybe like to have a little more stuff for the races in terms of stories and such.

Here's a link to the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2884825&posted=1#post2884825), feel free to post your fluff right there in the thread and I'll add it in there later.

I'll get right on it!

Sure, I'll start you off with something you might enjoy, that is, if you're at all familiar with the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Comment on intellectual property in Eberronian academic circles. Specifically, how strong/well-defined are intellectual property laws, what is their international scope, and how does this affect the culture of mages and magewrights in terms of the attitudes they take towards their work?

Well, I'm only passingly familiar with Eberron, but I'll give it a shot!

Intellectual property laws vary by nation, of course, but they are only weakly enforced across borders.

In nations with strong intellectual property laws, where those who mimic the designs of others can expect to be brought to court with a lawsuit, creativity is embraced and rampant. All sorts of minor novelties and gadgets can be purchased at a price affordable to even those of ordinary means, though most who sell, especially those who make their own wares, will not sell to obvious outsiders. In one or two of these nations, they may even demand to see proof of citizenship before parting with their work; nothing is so humiliating as being confronted with cheap imports of a mockery of one's original design, thanks to a foreigner who brought their merchandise back to their own country to copy and reproduce just a few months back. In such countries, advocates who know laws on intellectual property and little else are easily available for hire, and their fees are affordable, sometimes (in a relatively new development) based solely on the outcome of the trial.

A very different approach is taken in kingdoms where imitation is tolerated or even expected. Only a rare few seek to innovate; what they invent is in practicality not theirs as soon as someone else figures out how it works. Anyone who creates items, magical or mundane, focuses on one of two strategies, the first of which is producing the item as cheaply as possible, gaining customers by the economy of the good. Another strategy is to take an existing product and make a small but noticeable tweak to improve it. At any given time, the same device may be available at a dozen shops, each of which touts its own special variant. Of course, if one variant is especially popular, a rival owner will buy it, figure it out, and add it to his own product. So, while in these countries, great creativity is discouraged, tiny but constant steps of improvement in goods are a driving factor of the economy.

Let me know if this is helpful!