PDA

View Full Version : 3rd level druid feat

Kizara
2007-10-17, 07:35 PM
This is a simple one.

I need a feat for my 4th level druid. He has improved initiative and natural bond (he has a fleshraker animal companion).

I am picking up natural spell at 6th (duh), and I have good stats.

Please, I have to go meet soon and I cant think of anything. I never play druids...

Also, PrC/good build advice is welcome.

Are any of the druid prcs (that screw over your casting from what I've seen) wroth it?

Note: Don't use dragon stuff, campaign setting stuff (FRCS, Eberron), otherwise anything goes, but please name source for the feat.

MrNexx
2007-10-17, 07:44 PM
Craft Wondrous Items. Good versatility, and lets you make useful things like a collar of animal speech (allowing your animal companion to speak with you at need)

Drglenn
2007-10-17, 07:46 PM
My (human) druid took spell focus (conjuration) and augment summoning at level 1. I plan to take animal affinity at level 3 and might take a dip into ranger at level 4 so that gaining wild shape coincides with a feat so i can take natural spell at level 6. It will also give me track which is useful with my high survival skill, quite a few skill points and more weapon proficiencies. I only have access to the core rulebooks though, there would probably be better builds out there.

Kizara
2007-10-17, 07:51 PM
Animal Affinity (and any skill feat) are generally garbage in my opinion.

However, augment summoning and craft seem like decent ideas. Only thing is I'm unsure whether we will have the downtime to make crafting useful.

Drider
2007-10-17, 07:53 PM
If you ever summon outside of combat, augment summoning is very useful.

Kellus
2007-10-17, 07:55 PM
Um... Unless you've multiclassed, there's no point in Natural Bond.

This bonus can never make your effective druid level exceed your character level. [page 111]

Durendal
2007-10-17, 08:04 PM
Augment Summoning, Combat Casting, and Augment Healing (depending on your party) are all good.

Later take Fast Wildshape if you have at least a 13 dex. It lets you wildshape as a move action instead of a standard action.

Kyeudo
2007-10-17, 08:11 PM
Um... Unless you've multiclassed, there's no point in Natural Bond.

Yes, but higher level animal companions give you a penalty to your Druid level, which is countered by Natural Bond.

Kizara
2007-10-17, 08:13 PM
The main reason to take augment summoning IMO is combat summoning.

+4 to casting defensively is terrible, those checks aren't hard in the first place. Skill Focus (concentration) is better (and still is bad).

Fast wild shape is definately a great idea though.

I have a 4th level (druid level -3) animal companion (fleshraker dinosaur MM3), and taking Natural Bond allows me to treat it as a 1st level animal companion, giving it higher benefits. At least, that's how me/my DM interpreted the Feat.

Any other ideas?

Durendal
2007-10-17, 08:21 PM
The concentration checks for defensive casting may not be that hard to make, but why make the check at all. My current druid, who granted has an 18 con score, with combat casting and maxed ranks in concentration needs only the guarenteed 1 to make his defensive casting check, meaning I have a 0% chance of failure. I like no chance of failure better than any chance of failure. Just my 2 cp.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-17, 08:45 PM
The concentration checks for defensive casting may not be that hard to make, but why make the check at all. My current druid, who granted has an 18 con score, with combat casting and maxed ranks in concentration needs only the guarenteed 1 to make his defensive casting check, meaning I have a 0% chance of failure. I like no chance of failure better than any chance of failure. Just my 2 cp.

Combat casting gives a +4 on defensive casting. Skill Focus (Concentration) gives a +3 bonus on ALL uses. That +1 won't ever make a difference, unless your dice rolls suck all the time. Even then, the limited-case benefit is negligable.
BTW, why do you have an 18 in Con. Can't you just Wildshape into an ownage form and use Natural Spell. By like 7th level, it lasts all day...

Iku Rex
2007-10-17, 09:05 PM
BTW, why do you have an 18 in Con. Can't you just Wildshape into an ownage form and use Natural Spell. By like 7th level, it lasts all day...Low Con = Low HP = dead.

And wild shape can lead to melded equipment and low AC.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-17, 09:57 PM
Low Con = Low HP = dead.

And wild shape can lead to melded equipment and low AC.

I bet he missed the errata. Wildshape no longer modifies HP, so you need good CON to keep your health high, esp. when in melee.

Hario
2007-10-17, 10:08 PM
I have no idea why no one has said this (I think they havn't I just skimmmed) but why wouldn't you take power attack? sure your BAB isn't as good as a fighter, by 1 point right now. Besides power attack can be very powerful especially while wildshaped.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-17, 10:46 PM
If all else fails to appeal to you - take improved initiative.

Leon
2007-10-17, 10:52 PM
Extend Spell

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-17, 10:58 PM
Extend Spell

Seconded.

sfgsdaggsdajio0[sdgjiojiosdga

Kurald Galain
2007-10-17, 11:20 PM
sfgsdaggsdajio0[sdgjiojiosdga

That's an interesting feat :smallbiggrin: what book is it from?

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-18, 12:03 AM
That's an interesting feat :smallbiggrin: what book is it from?

"The message you have entered is too short. Please pound the keyboard until your message is long enough. Succinctness is frowned upon here. Thank you."

Kizara
2007-10-18, 03:42 AM
1) I already have improved initiative.

2) I didn't know that about wild shape, I'll have to check that erratta myself. If you have a handy link, that would be useful.

3) Why extend spell? I can kinda guess, but I'd like to know some of your reasoning and promotion of why it's a good idea.

4) My strength is 11 (I Know, I know, wildshape) and the form I want to wildshape into (fleshraker dinosaur) has alot of attacks instead of 1 really strong one, so hitting many times is more useful IMO. Also, I can't '2 hand' my bite attack, for instance. These, combined with a 3/4 BAB, is why I decided against power attack. However, feel free to share with me your argument otherwise.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-18, 03:48 AM
1) I already have improved initiative.

2) I didn't know that about wild shape, I'll have to check that erratta myself. If you have a handy link, that would be useful.
Just look at the SRD. It has the latest version of the ability (which references Alternate Form, also in the SRD).

3) Why extend spell? I can kinda guess, but I'd like to know some of your reasoning and promotion of why it's a good idea.

As an example, look at Barkskin (which you'll probably wind up using a Lesser Rod of Extend Spell, 3000 gp, for, but hey). At 10 minutes/level, two extended castings will last you all day. And druids have other great 10 min/level buffs, like Freedom of Movement and Air Walk.

Leon
2007-10-18, 04:36 AM
Reel On, Love basically covered it.
plus i use it for my Summon spells

Hallavast
2007-10-18, 05:26 AM
"The message you have entered is too short. Please pound the keyboard until your message is long enough. Succinctness is frowned upon here. Thank you."

^ Sigged

jasojdoijoeangklsdngajd

Wraith
2007-10-18, 07:41 AM
I quite like taking Spell Penetration and, when I can, Greater Spell Penetration as a Druid. Not everyone's favourite choice, I realise, however I tend to use a lot of spells and, given how nasty some Druid spells can be, it's good to know that they're almost always going to work on your target.

A fun tactic with this build is Wild Shape (Dire Bear or Earth Elemental)/Natural Spell/Slay Living - run up to the biggest creature you can find, cast a buffed Save-or-Die spell on them and then beat the snot out of them if they make the save and take a bucket of damage anyway :smallsmile:

Pure comedy gold, if you try that on a Blue Dragon and it rolls a 1 for its Will save - all thanks to Spell Penetration! :smallbiggrin: